Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ (The 1st Generation) Sailor V ❯ Vol.6 - Yin and Yang, Fated Choices ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: (1st Generation) Sailor V, Vol.6 - Yin and Yang, Fated Choices

Author: Matthias aka MysticMew

Email: Minaru@gmx.de

Beta-reader: Athenia (earthwing@comcast.net)

Rating: PG-13, with some more mature situations (bordering on R)

Pairing: Minako/Hotaru

Timeline: After Season 1; Prelude story arc to The 1st Generation. How Minako and Hotaru got together.

Summary: Minako is back in England, her memories have been triggered and Sailor V is born again when Youma show their ugly face.

Distribution: Starsinlove-group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starsinlove/), MAC (www.catstrio.de) www.fanfiction.net, ASMR (www.moonromance.com), anyone else you can have it but please ask first, 'kay?

Chapter Summary: Hotaru has been taken by Venus old' nuisance Adonis while Minako rescued her past life kin sister, the elf Priapos. Will the two of them be able to get Hotaru back? And what secrets will be uncovered in the process.

Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon/Sailor V belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, Toei and Kodansha

Story Disclaimer: Copyright©2002 by Matthias Engel

(1st Generation) Sailor V, Vol.6 - Yin and Yang, Fated Choices by Matthias

based on the works of Naoko Takeuchi

Senshi Diary Codename: Crescent, access only by registered and acknowledged members of the Royal Court.

Scan activated

Scan positive

Recognition: Senshi Venus

Login: Private Journals

Receivers: Past Venus and Saturn

Hi, it's me again!

I hope you haven't been to shocked with where Hotaru left you hanging last time but I can't help it. She has something of a dramatic streak, probably due to the theater courses she has taken recently. *shrugs* Anyway, that really was not our happiest time back then and nearly tore us apart. In the end though, we came out stronger than before and even more aware of how much we needed each others presence. The separation we faced then was hardly the last of hardships we had to endure in the future but the event set the course for our future.

Let me not hold of any longer. You deserve to read about the conclusion of our adventures in England.

(Minako)

The clouds this morning reflected my mood, dark gray, here and then a few drops of rain and a strong wind. Typical weather, even for a summer day in England, and what could be better on such a morning than a good cup of tea. Though I did not share most English people's distaste about coffee, I had always preferred the standard national drink. A good herbal tea was always refreshing, even if my parents were a bit startled at my unusual request the morning after my memories resurfaced… Such meaningless thoughts drifted through my head at this godforsaken early hour of the day as I stared into the swirling liquid of mentioned tea, the last line triggering unpleasant memories of Hotaru once again. I could barely get my mind off of my girlfriend which was probably rather understandable the circumstances considered.

"I take it, you couldn't sleep." I raised my head lazily to glance at the figure standing in the doorframe of the kitchen. If not for the faint aura my Senshi-trained eyes detected, I could have sworn she was a complete stranger. Her wings concealed and her hair at waist-length, neatly trimmed and ebony black might be able to even fool my friends, if they did not know what they were dealing with. I sighed and took a sip of my tea and then sat the cup down on the table, not able to suppress a minor yawn. "It's not the same," I simply answered. Over the past week I had become accustomed to having Hotaru next to me when I woke up and now, the second time in a row, there was nothing but void in the morning. And it hurt. It hurt because it always brought back the painful memory of two days ago when Hotaru was captured. I became much to aware that everything had been real, not just a nightmare. A very nice start to begin the day, I tell you…

I closed my eyes with a sigh. Priapos had slipped behind my chair and embraced me from behind. A gesture I welcomed more than ever. Especially considered the harsh words traded between us yesterday. I was disgusted with myself to let my control slip so easily and almost hurting my kin sister out of desperation and pain-blinded anger.

---Flashback---

"What do you mean, you could not locate them? I thought you know where you were staying, so don't give me this piece of crap!"

I was in a very bad mood after not sleeping very well, which was not all too surprising. Waking up without my sweet Firefly beside me as a reminder of the previous day's events had me on the edge already. When Artemis and Priapos came back from a quick sweep through the area with nothing but blank results, I snapped. To be honest, I think I scared the hell out of the elf who was at the moment dangling from one hand around her throat and pressed against the wall. Her eyes were pleading but I was too far into rage-dimension to actually notice.

"It… It's because of the cleansing. I can't use the portals anymore because they require negative energy, also I don't think he would be at the base." I lessened my grip again, as my subconsciousness reminded me mildly that I would not like the consequences otherwise. "Why?" I hissed impatiently, my eyes blazing with inner fire. But before the elf could answer, I picked up a sound something between a growl and a snarl, before Artemis snapped at me, effectively bringing me out of my state. "Venus, stop that now and think!" My partner rarely used such harsh tones with me and I knew all too well how upset he was over my unusual behavior. My eyes traveled from the elf to him and back to my... kin sister, before I finally dropped the girl I had just rescued a day before and now nearly killed in a fit of misdirected rage. She was not responsible for that and if I would have thought straight, I should have figured the meaning behind her words out before she even uttered them. Adonis would be dumb to hold Hotaru captive where Priapos even with her ties effectively cut could find him. No, I might despise my old kinsman but he was not an idiot, far from it.

Ashamed by my actions I averted my eyes to the ground and turned around. Shrugging of Priapos' hand, I walked out of the room.

---End Flashback---

"Gomen nasei, Pria-chan..." I murmured, not really trusting my own voice at the moment. The rest of the day had been lived on an unspoken agreement not to mention the morning incident anymore and I felt too guilty for losing control to try and approach the issue. Priapos hushed me with a gentle finger to my lips. "No harsh feelings, Hebe. I owe you a lot and you cannot really be blamed for yesterday after all, all this was partially my..." She trailed of and did not finish but I knew all too well what she wanted to say and I also did resist the urge to reassure her that she could be held responsible for her actions. Efadio were extremely honorable and a shame like that sat deep within my former bodyguard and kin sister, it would simply do not any good to argue with her about it.

"We'll find her, I promise," she said instead of finishing the previous sentence and I could only grasp that little beacon of hope she offered and hold on very, very tightly. I turned around, meeting her eyes with mine. An unspoken understanding passed between us. "I think we need to talk." Priapos just nodded. With our tempers a bit calmer it was time to learn what exactly we were facing here and how it could be possible for Adonis to be here... again.

(Priapos)

I dreaded this conversation to come because I was not sure how much I was able to tell and how much I should tell. The events were blurry at best. Whatever yanked at the roots of my suspicions and insecurities after Hebe left for the Moon, it certainly made a very good work of putting me under it's spell. Bits and pieces that is what I remembered and nothing much in detail about "the grand plan" as my now terra-born kin sister phrased it.

"We came to this time in order to set things right after our own present was all but lost," I told He... Minako - I should really get used to this - sincerely to which I earned a lifted eyebrow. "Excuse me, are we talking of real time travel here? That is a bit farfetched, isn't it?" I chose wisely not to comment on the own leap Serenity had created in their recent battle and just simply shrugged my shoulder's in response. "All I know for certain is that one time we were forming plans for a counterstrike against the Moon - still under Metallia's influence then - and the next moment we are here, confronted with a future not all too pleasant for our now free - so we thought - minds. You can well imagine what that an impact had on us."

Artemis nodded at this and for a moment I caught some muffled words about Pluto not allowing something. I was well aware that there probably was a Sailorpluto somewhere but to the common people and most likely the whole system with exceptions of the Queen her identity was yet a mystery. I decided not to dwell further on the subject since it was unlikely that the cat advisor would share such information, even with his charge or me.

Which brought me to think about the other matter of a not so much mysterious but highly dangerous Senshi sleeping within my kin sister's mate that we both had solid proof for. What an unlikely couple they made and I could not help but blanch at the thought what their hidden past memories said to this most... interesting mating. It was due to a pledged agreement from both me and H... Minako's partner that we would not voice this bit of information in my kin sister's presence, especially not in her present emotional state. Nonetheless the thing proved to be tricky and I had a sinking feeling that Adonis detected young Hotaru's potential and might use it against her own mate... A fact making it all the more necessary for us to find the hiding place of my former master and investigate before any real harm could be done.

"Be that as it is. We have to find Adonis hiding place quickly, or it might have catastrophic results," Artemis voiced my own thoughts to which my kin sister simply nodded, even if not fully aware of the whole impact of the situation. "Yeah, I don't even want to know what this bastard does to Raven, especially since I effectively laughed off his own prediction." She laughed bitterly and I could see in her eyes that her former kinsman had lost any respect left with my sister. I dreaded the day they'd face each other. Learning about this other, obviously reincarnated Adonis - or Danburite as he called himself back then -, had helped me understand Minako's wonder about my old master's arrival and the pain associated with him.

"He was not too pleased when I informed him about your mate, that's true. If I had been on my right mind, I would surely have expected him turning up at our match..." Minako shot me a look that clearly said I should let the "guilt trip" rest and better concentrated on the situation at hand. I was pleased to see that my kin sister was in a much better mood today, even if slightly subdued and with a great deal of self-restrain. I could see very clearly now why Venus had been selected as the Senshi's leader, it was situations like this her true qualities shone through.

"Anyway," I continued. "Adonis will not be too far of. I can still feel a strong unnatural presence in the air and that would not be the case, if he left the area. I think we should start looking as soon as possible." Minako took her last sip of that terran liquid called tea and stood up. "The first good idea this morning. I call Kathryn and then we can split in teams." There was a burst of determination in her aura that made me proud all over again. The young princess I knew had not lost her touch through rebirth, if anything she was even more stronger - shaped by hardships of life - than ever.

As my kin sister left the kitchen I stole a curious glance at Artemis, suddenly finding myself pondering something that the white cat had mentioned briefly before. "You are not that much worried about Saturn awakening than the demon you think is battling for control within her." It was not a question but one of the last remaining Mau residents answered anyway. "I have a vague hope that the mating bond between Venus and her proves too much of a binding to be a threat. The other presence though. I have no idea what exactly it is, only that it certainly is no ordinary Youma or anything related to Metallia's minions. And it is powerful that much I can tell. Let us just hope that the pendant protects her until we found them."

"Yeah, let's hope that," I replied dully because we surely did not need another unknown power playing havoc on our little merry group. "Any intention of calling for backup?" I asked the logical conclusion to my thoughts. Artemis didn't answer for a long time, looking out at the dark clouds, looming like an impending menace over the land. "Believe me," he said at last. "I am strongly tempted."

(Hotaru)

---Flashback (about six years ago)---

"Hotaru-chan? Are you alright, we want to go?" I blinked, considerably. The first thing I was certain about was that I couldn't remember what exactly happened in the near past and how I ended up here… Wherever here was? Probably a dream, which meant I was "dreamwalking" again but,,, Wait, did someone call me by my name and wasn't that voice…? My eyes went upwards as my alter ego that I was currently co-hosting looked up and if it would be my body to command, I sure as hell would have fainted right away. There, framed by a gentle face of a middle-aged woman with shoulder-long black hair, were the most enchanting violet eyes, eyes that I would… could never forget. Frankly the woman was the spitting mirror image of myself or maybe I should phrase it the other way round. The woman in question was my long dead, oh so beloved mother…

"Huh? Gomen, Okaasan, I just had the weirdest feeling." Hey, I remembered that! That did happen and I had until now not clearly determined what this weird feeling was, but seeing it now, that was probably my dream essences - or something like that - merging with her. Don't blame me, the ability didn't come with a instruction booklet. My mother smiled at me warmly. "That's okay, Hotaru-chan, we all have these sometimes."

"Knowing her, she probably thinks its prophetic." I - or better my counterpart though I was strongly tempted myself - turned an annoyed look in the direction of the voice. There, already halfway through the door, stood a dark-brown haired girl around four or five at least. Her ruby-purple eyes flashed a little in a silent challenge. "And you would know anything about it, Imouto-chan?" My sister - a word which sent a shiver down my spine - shook her head. "No, but I'm at least not pretending." My counterpart huffed and our mother chuckled. "Now stop that, will you? We promised your father we will be there on time, so that we don't mess up his time schedule."

Around somewhere I knew then this particular event took place, as if I hadn't had enough pointers already. That was The Day. The day when we went to my father's labs, the day where it happened, changing our and especially my life forever. I could not allow that, I had to do something, I had to warn Otousan… But nothing of that was in the reach of possibility. This was merely a dream, a memory at best and I could not influence it, so I could only witness through my counterparts eyes as the happy family went out to meeting their dreadful fate…

---End Flashback---

"Such dark thoughts for a young thing like you."

My head literally snapped up when my awareness was yanked back into reality. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't move either my arms or legs which were outstretched and bounded by an unseen yet powerful force. The space surrounding me was dark and menacing. The simple feel of the air gave me a chill down my spine and the fact that there was nothing that could clearly be seen in the overflowing darkness was unsettling to say the least. My mind still occupied and shaken from the sudden, painful memory was still trying to orient itself as my eyes fell on the tall, lean figure directly in sight. The man was handsome beyond question. With long gold-brown hair, curled into tiny locks, a smooth face, a muscular body and South European skin. His eyes were of a deep dark blue and the sign of Venus was resting on his forehead…

"You," I snarled, my memory returning in a blinding rush. The man, I know had to be Adonis, just smirked and waved a finger mockingly. "Now, now… Is that any way to behave around elders?" My eyes hardened as I felt the familiar cold feeling rise up inside of me. "What do you want with me? If you think, you can lure my mate…" All of a sudden Adonis stood directly in front of me, one hand under my chin as he held it with a firm grip that began to hurt. "Your mate? Do you really think you can qualify for that role even in the slightest?" I know fully well from what Minako told me that Adonis had a cruel obsession with Venus that went a long time back into the Silver Millennium era. Backed by the confidence of Minako's full support and love, I looked at him unfazed. "Hit a nerve, didn't I?"

Adonis' face changed into one of anger for a brief moment before he let go of me and relaxed, still I think I earned a few points here. "Pah, as if a mere terran could truly fill the role at the side of the Goddess of Venus." He slowly turned to walk back to where he originally stood. "Never heard anything more funny." Though I could not agree with him, he struck a few nerves with that. Exactly that had been a lot of my concerns lately. How could I actually think to be Venus' ultimate fulfillment? How could I dare claim the Love Goddess as mine? But when I think back on the past several days and especially on our initiate mating night, I knew it was true and my confidence was well-founded.

"Anyway," Adonis said nonchalantly, as if the brief display of obsessive jealousy had never transpired. "I think, you will make a formidable ally, once your potential is triggered. Lets see what you say when you face your own mate in battle." Instantly an icy fear gripped me. Triggering my potential? Did he mean the demon or whatever was inside of me? If where was anything I truly feared it was this malevolent personality inside of me to take control and destroy my new life that I had built with such effort in the previous days as it had done so many times before. The thought that I might hurt… No, no, never! "I won't hurt her, never," I said out loud though I knew my voice was shaking.

Adonis looked at me with a satisfied grin. "Oh really? Just like you would never hurt Megumi, right?" Before I could even begin to register the shock this statement send through me, he held up a hand a bolt of pure black lightning struck me with full force. I cried out in pain as the energy crackled and discharged all over my body. Scenes were playing before my mind eye, scenes I wanted to banish from my conscious but that would almost remain and come haunting me. Scenes of a laboratory, a glass globe, my fingers touching the globe, a dark sphere forming, a burst of flames… When her, consumed in fire, her face horribly distorted but her eyes with a scaring clarity flashing brightly, locked directly on me. *It's all your fault! Okaasan and me died because of you!* I pressed my eyes shut but the face would not vanish, the pain more emotionally than physically, would not stop. And all the while only her words echoing through my mind. Your fault! Your fault! Your fault! Ever and ever again. I began to sob quietly, to drained to scream, just whispering the name. "Megumi… Imoutochan…"

I did not see Adonis leave the room or the pendant concealed under my clothing beginning to glow softly.

(Minako)

Another day had passed and nothing had come out of a constant search in which we literally turned every stone in the area of several dozen miles. I began to doubt the logic of Priapos that Adonis was probably hiding nearby, even if I had to admit it was the most likely of possibilities. That just left the question where the heck was he? I winced slightly as a wave of despair crashed against my mental shields and which painfully reminded me that Hotaru was still out there, held hostage by a guy who was obsessive with me and aligned with dark forces. There was no telling what he would do to my girlfriend but wherever she was and whatever he did, it surely was traumatic. The distress and emotionally torment was so strong the first few times I received the echo over our bond that I had to block the connection on my side, making it one-way so that I still was able to pour my love through it. The shields were up constantly but it still registered and stung a little which was the proof of the intensity of the emotions.

Kuso, I hate waiting, I thought bitterly. If we would not turn up with results soon, I might as well explode with dreaded anticipation. I really wondered now, how Usagi had managed to cope as she did with Mamoru captured and probably put through hell itself. Yes, sure, she was in no better shape than I the first days but recovered quickly enough, even with her beloved turning up as the enemy. I did not know, if my spirit would be able to survive a confrontation with my mate. If Adonis truly managed to turn her, as Priapos and Artemis seemed to fear…

I reacted with the speed and instincts accustomed with a Senshi, as I vaulted forward, the energy blade just barely missing me, as I catapulted into a spiral and landed elegantly in a defensive position. Priapos withdraw her weapon, inches away from penetrating the floor and looked at me sternly. "If I wanted to do, this would have sliced you in half before you even noticed." My eyes hardened but unfortunately I knew she wasn't lying. An Efadio would never attack all-out from behind against a honorable foe. If she had meant to kill me, when she would have surely been able to.

"What do you want?" I asked cautiously at last. Priapos held her weapon lazily, while I had one hand hovering right at the entrance of subspace. The elf shook her head and for a minute there I thought I was looking at my old teacher and sparring partner, only to realize that it wasn't just an impression. "I know you are distraught about the welfare of your mate, sister. But you need to be more focused and let your emotions be a tool of strength, instead a pitiful excuse for distraction. If you go out there in this state to face Adonis, your beloved is already doomed."

I arched an eyebrow at that, my confidence and pride rising already with her truth-filled taunts. I knew fully well that I was far behind the state of training I had in my younger years at court with my kin sister. She was a master in combat, physical and magically and had outmatched me quickly when she came to be my bodyguard and further along my sensei. Most of what my old self knew was her doing because she always managed to bring me to new heights. This situation brought back memories of a happier time, of a similar situation where I used to be equally distracted at times. Priapos had always managed to trigger my pride and therefore push me to train even harder.

With a flash, I held the manifested and transformed Venus Tear in my hands and answered my kin sisters barely visible amusement with a grim grin of my own. (A/N: A grim grin, hehe… J) "Let's see who is doomed, huh?" Priapos jumped into the air to land a few feet at my side and we turned towards each other, weapons raised in an unspoken challenge. Without further words we rushed forward…

---Flashback---

Energy lashed out to the sides when my blade collided with that of my sensei. The elf was quickly pressing for an advantage and gaining good ground at this. But I wouldn't give up so easily. Pria had managed to stir my pride once again after defeating me in our training sessions again and again, to a point where it was almost humiliating. Remembering all the teachings from my kin sister and best friend I emptied my mind and tuned my spirit and soul fully to the emotions and feelings from my heart. The inner strength of the Senshi of Venus, the child of love was founded in the heart, in the unyielding believe and love for other people. I was to protect those who felt love, I was to spread love, I was to show love. Nothing could hurt me, if my love for mankind and all good creatures in existence was unwavering because love was a force to be reckoned.

Quick and precise like an arrow, sharp and deadly like a blade, withstanding and unfaltering like a shield of the strongest metal forged, I moved and stood my ground, meeting my opponent blow for blow, never letting go of the strong emotions in my heart that were my birthright and my fate.

---End Flashback---

The green blade wavered violently when it was caught between two of my own ones. I twisted the cross-like weapon and yanked with one sharp motion while seemingly slipping on the ground. The movement caught Priapos totally off guard and rendered her unarmed in an instant. I managed to catch my intended fall and turn it in into a backflip.

We stood facing each other for a few more seconds, catching our breaths. I had no idea how long we had fought but from the position of the sun, it had to be close to an hour. I had totally lost track of time which was partly due to the sudden memory flash. Finally I lowered the Venus Tear and put it away again. Priapos smiled lopsidedly, though I could tell from her eyes that she was not only satisfied but actually proud. "Feeling better?" she asked not the slightest bit out of breath.

I considered the question for a moment before answering equally steady: "Much." It was that I still felt emotionally wrecked and torn but once again my kin sister managed to remind me that feelings, emotions were my strongest weapon beside my command over metal. By not letting the knowledge and sentiment of my beloved pains affect and distract me, but instead using this wisdom to further fuel my determination to find a rescue my mate, that was the much better way to handle the situation.

Priapos smirked but her features softened quickly. "Its okay to hurt alongside your mate, otherwise I doubt your bond would even be strong enough but don't let it interfere with the ultimate goal." I nodded solemnly. "Right."

(Hotaru)

I had it enough with the dreams already! I had no idea how long I had been here, I had not seen my captor in a very long time that felt a lot like days at least. And time and time again I would slip into unconscious just to be rewarded with yet another memory of my dark past. Of the events that shaped me for years. And all the while there was the accusing image of my sister, Megumi, her eyes icy and her features hardened, just like the very haunting memory she was. As much as I knew her words were uttered to bring me far beyond guilt, I could not deny how much I was truly effected by her simple statements.

Megumi and me used to be like fire and ice. Most of the sister rivalry at the tender age of eight was a charade though and deep down we really cared for each other. Both of us were unusually developed for our age. This was not so much due to growing up with a professor as a father or an athletic expert as our mother but both us shared a highly awareness of our surroundings and how to react to circumstances which deepened the inherited talents from our parents. Where Megumi was more the athletic type, coming quite nicely after our mother, I had always pursued to further heightened my natural intellect. Megumi was always a bit jealous of me because I often used to play the part of the wise, older sister.

What did freak her out at times was my tendency to fall into sudden trances and talk about visions and the like. I mean come on, a eight year-old who talks about occult stuff, what would you think? Megumi often teased me as a bit weird but never paid it much mind. What aggravated her more was that our mother often took a great deal of care and patience to listen to me when I "acted weird". I think she never really understood why mother spend so much time with me when it was her who tried to carry on her talents.

Despite the fact that we were two rather premature sisters, we were a rather happy family with a steady - if not even wealthy - income thanks to my father. Until The Day. I can't really recall much about the whole event other than bits and pieces and from those I truly didn't know, if they were only pictures my mind formed from the nightmares. All I knew was that I woke up later in my father's bed and discovered that I was hurting all over. I had never experienced so much pain before and then my father told me that mother and Megumi were dead, caught in the explosion of his labs that we just barely and by some miracle escaped mostly unharmed… Let's just say that was about the last straw to my sanity as everything I knew and took for granted crumbled around me.

In this period of deep and long depression came the nightmares, further fueled with the sudden attacks on my health that I would know for nearly six years until now as a constant reminder. And with them came the visions of Megumi. My little sister like the very incarnation of a vengeance demon, loathing and accusing me of being responsible for her and my mother's death. Me, she said, it had been me attracting what caused the resulting explosion. It had all been my fault. I did not have the power to fight the visions back then, retreating further and further into my own misery, my occasional of sociality destroyed by the picture the people I dealt with had formed about me.

Now though, ever since I had met Minako, I thought I finally got a grip on my life. I thought I had managed to put the haunting nightmares behind me and live again. I had somehow earned myself a girlfriend I often felt I never deserved, I had made friends with her friends and I had finally felt and let happiness in my dark, useless seeming life. But now, caught in the grip of an obsessive "bad guy" I had to go through all this again, experience the heartache and despair of years of a dull and haunted existence again.

"Iie," I whispered as I struggled against yet another vision, another painful memory. "Onegai…" It was of no use and as I felt my conscious slip away, the only comfortable feeling was the calming presence of the pendant against my chest.

---Flashback---

I all but wanted to slam the door behind me in a volcanic-range anger. Instead I simply closed it without any sound at all and slowly walked over to my bed there I sat down and promptly buried my head into the soft covers. Silent tears began to flow freely. Tears I didn't want anyone to see or anyone to know about. Especially not the cold-hearted Kaori. This school day was the worst in a long time. A witch, they called me. Again. For probably the nth-time now. Normally that didn't concern me but today I had lost my best friend, the only one whoever bothered to stand up for me and remain at my side no matter what. Keika-chan, the sweet child of an artist friend of my passed mother. We had gotten along good since sandbox age… How could I possible hurt her, either physically or emotional?

But I had did, didn't I? And I never ever remembered it. Yesterday at school was just the usual blur in my mind after experiencing once again one of my attacks that threatened me since the accident in father's lab. And then I had gone and healed her with my abnormal powers that everyone else despised so much. I would never forget the look in her eyes, the look of outright fear that Keiko had never shown around me as long as I remembered. It was, as if she was suddenly aware of what a freak I truly was.

Yeah, a freak, a weak, unhealthy, inhuman witch of a freak. I hated myself. What was that for an existence? Was there any purpose for me anyway? How could I just drive away the only friend I ever had? That was more of a proof that what they said was right after all. All the names, the imputations, they were all correct. I was nothing but a freak with freaky powers, powers that hurt the people around me more than help them.

*And kill them you mean?* I did not even care hearing the familiar, haunting voice of Megumi in my head, probably relishing in the sweetness of my misery. I didn't care because I simply did not have the power anymore to fight back. What for anyway? I had nothing to defend than myself and I was hardly worthy the attention. *That is totally right, Oneechan. You are not worthy of anything. Not worthy of happiness because you hurt them all. Hurt them like you hurt Okaasan and me, ne?* Megumi's voice was spitting and venomous and I felt my head beginning to hurt with another physical and psychical breakdown.

"Onegai," I whispered lacking strength to only mouth more than actually say it. *You don't deserve happiness and you don't deserve death either because it would be to light of an excuse.* My pillow by now was totally soaked and I gripped my head tightly. "Onegai, stop…" But the haunting voice of my sister did not stop. *Why should I? You never gave anything about what I said, what I wanted. It was always all about you. Mom loved you, she adored you, thought that you were gifted and what do you repay her with, hm? WHAT?*

I had my eyes tightly shut as the pain intensified and through the swirling of lights dancing in front of me, I saw the flashes coming repeatedly, again and again. The laboratory active and my father warning me not to lean to close to the experiments concealed under the glass globes, my hand reaching out with curious fingers, a dark sphere forming, a far distant whisper in my head. Then the flames and the horrifying vision of seeing my mother and sister consumed by flames, all the while their voices mingling, chanting: *What have you done now? You caused this? It's all your fault that we are dead! Your fault! Your fault! You fault!*

*WAKE UP!* The force of the voice bore a commanding tone that it could have belonged to Kami-sama himself and it vaulted at once out of the state that I had lost myself while reliving my memory. I did not at once react and I wondered why nothing colossal happened right away. But then I felt a sudden wave of pure love engulfing my spirit through the bond shared with my mate. A picture of Minako appeared before my mind eye, radiantly smiling and that all for me. All at once, I let my mind relax and cherish the feeling of being loved and cared for. What was I doing so blindly losing myself in the memory of a life I would more than like to forget. I had my happiness now and nobody would or could take it from me. Not Megumi, not Adonis, not anyone! A burst of confidence flowed through me and I focused my spirit on the source of the commanding voice, determined to follow its command.

With a flash I found myself in a strange place. A strange place because I hadn't been here in over half a decade. My mother's old room. Everything was as it used to be. The comforting glow of lamps and a couple of candles, the posters on the walls and the trophies of the achievements on the shelves. But what took me completely off guard and threatened to give me a heart attack was the woman sitting relaxed in the old armchair. Her features not aged and the dark hair as similar to mine as I remembered. "Okaasan…"

I stared disbelieving at the figure who resembled my mother so much, my heart was pounding so fast I thought it would burst every moment. The features, everything, it was all perfect and yet, yet I could not believe what I was seeing, it could not possibly be. How could it be? I thought… I froze in mid-thought as my mother's gentle eyes rested on me and there was something wet running down my cheek. Tears. "Little Hime-chan," the person who looked like my mother said softly and I thought my hear would surely burst. That feeling, that comforting voice, it could only mean… mean…

"Okaasan!" I rushed forward to throw myself at my mother and she readily engulfed me in her arms. We stayed that way for a few moments of eternity but yet so utterly short, before my mother gently but firmly held me at arms length. "My child, I am so proud of you." Proud? "Demo…" She hushed me with a finger to my lips. "Do not say anything. I know already. You should not doubt yourself, you have a very strong spirit and the confidence of your mate fuels you greatly. You alone have the strength to fight your darker side. It is in you, the potential has always been there." She took the pendant I had nearly forgotten in one hand and I gasped in surprise when I saw it glowing in a dim silver with a stronger violet outline. "This is merely an anchor and can only work as long as there still is belief in you. And belief you must, for your whole life lies before you. A life worthy of a princess…"

At this point I felt my protest rising, the haunting vision from before springing to my mind. "But Megumi said…" My mother shook her head. "Nonsense. The only thing you hear is your subconscious, your self-doubt that plagued your mind from the moment you realized that you alone survived. This has been fueled over the years by the demon inside of you, gnawing on this dark emotions. You think you are unworthy for this world, you think that it somehow was your fault, you want to believe that there wasn't anything to live for. But is it now? Do you still believe that? Isn't there at least one thing you want to live for?" Her voice was stern and in this sort of lecturing tone she often used with me when she wanted to rebuke me about something. Suddenly I had Minako's smiling face before me again and then her expression when I was taken by Adonis… "Mina-chan…"

My mother smiled softly and touched my cheek, wiping a few tears away. "Do you want her to get hurt?" Hurt? Mina-chan? I? I shook my head violently, the thought too appealing to even form. "Then live, Hotaru-chan, because that is what she wants you to do. Don't give into darkness and the temptation of death. Never do this or you'll lose her." Lose… Minako… "Iie," I whispered barely audible. "Then believe in your mate, be strong for her and make her proud. Nobody can control you, if you don't want to…" My surroundings began to blur and the image of my mother faltered. I reached out desperately but my hand passed right through the image. "Okaasan!" Mother smiled sadly. "Believe, Hime-chan, believe and save… your sister…" I gasped, trying fruitlessly to hold control over the dream. "Nande? What do you mean? Megumi is…" It was too late.

(From the diary of Aino Minako)

Maybe this will be the last time I'm writing in this thing. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow but I feel the need to make this maybe last entry. To make matters short, after two more long days we finally found Adonis' hideout. The time passed like a blur but at the same time it could have also been an eternity. By now I am torn between totally shielding myself from the echoes of my bond to Hotaru or totally opening to give her my full support against whatever torment she has to endure. Either option would probably bring me on the verge of insanity and it is only due to Priapos that I aren't already rendered useless. There has been a shift in the bond today, something strong and peaceful that has not been there and that let me hope. Hotaru had reached out to me and for a brief moment I could actually see that she trusted me, that she was waiting for me. That helps enormously to relax, I tell you.

When we were not out in the area searching, Priapos and I have been training nonstop as we used to do in the old times. That has not only sharpened my reflexes and instincts to a level where I can feel the wind currents and every movement within but also my skill has improved. Priapos put me literally through hell these days. The fruits are worth it though. While my first training session had been pure instinct backed up by Hebe's memory, by now I don't really need the memory anymore. In the past I have always considered Artemis' training hard but compared to Priapos' teachings every small child could probably please my partner. No, that are two whole different worlds.

My kin sister is a hard but patient teacher and if it will ever comes to the point where I fight with the others again, they can surely benefit from this. The others, yes. That has been another issue that Artemis and I discussed for a LONG time. I am not really sure why but I strongly insisted that nobody is to learn about this. That decision was merely benefit to Usagi's wish for peace and a simple life. I valued that high, however, I also feel like this is something that I have to do on my own. It is my problem, my girlfriend and mate and my personal feud with Adonis. I know the others would not hesitate to help out and I wish I had the courage to tell them. But… I cannot do this.

Even though all this was like a row of coincidences or maybe even fate, I have gotten myself into this mess, I have lost Hotaru to the enemy through my lack of resolve and my inability to protect her. When Endymion had been kidnapped, we had all been present but nobody was able to do anything. In a way we had all failed that's why we felt responsible as much as Usagi. With Hotaru, however, it had been completely in my power to protect her. I didn't though and that's what gives me the most powerful of self-doubts.

Apart from that I had been active solo for almost two years than I first became Sailor V. I am used to work alone with only Artemis and a few background resources at my disposal. I know I could pull this off, I only have to believe as much as I did when rescuing Priapos. Yeah, sounds easier than it is, right? And to say the truth I feel confident but not to the point where I am not weary and cautious. That has brought me into this situation. A certain amount of fear is good because it helps to stay on the ground and see clearly. The path is a small one but I am willing to follow it. No, I MUST follow it.

The rare times where we weren't sparing Priapos and I used to rekindle. I was telling her about my life here on Earth, the life of Aino Minako, about our battle with the Dark Kingdom, our final sacrifice, Usagi's wish; I told her about Hiroshi and the others and how much Hotaru in a few days has managed to change everything. She listened patiently and I am glad about it. Priapos began to regard and respect me as the human being I am now. Aino Minako, with the spirit of Princess Hebe but a completely new life.

In turn the elf, I had come to think of as much a sister as Hebe does, helped me to remember a lot more from our shared past, my early childhood as Princess Hebe. I remembered the first time we met, the time when we were playing in the flourishing flora and fauna of our mother star. We were happy back then, innocent and without much care in the world. Even the training sessions, the formal and battle practice for my destined mission was viewed from the eyes of innocent children. It was all like a big game for us, the future of responsibility so far, far away… And the day had come so quick and merciless where we were forced into sudden adulthood at an age so young and tender it was hard to believe. We suddenly had to face the harsh reality of the world or better the universe around us. It was time for a parting and it had literally tore us apart.

So, yesterday I found myself mulling over this, alone at a late hour barely able to sleep…

The wind had worn down over the day and the sky was a bit clearer, up to a point where you could see the Moon lurking through the clouds and some stars twinkling. All in all a rather peaceful evening and a reminder of the time Hotaru and I used to sit out here late and watch the stars. How I wished she were here, how I wished that was finally over or better never even happened to begin with. "Are you looking up at the Moon now, too," I thought out loud, my mind briefly drifting back home to Tokyo, my friends there that not even remembered me or the time we shared. "I miss you… Minna-san." Yes, I did, however, my decision stood, I could not bring them into this. As things were, I doubted that it was long anyway before the time came for us to stand together again for the sake of the world. This though, this was my mess, my battle. I had to prove it to me and especially to Hotaru that I could pull this of. That had nothing to do with foolish bravery, I simply felt obligated to do so. Besides, it would take to long to explain everything and we didn't have this time. First informing and convincing Luna, then awakening the others. Explaining everything and getting them here. No, that battle would be over in a few days, one way or another.

"I'm sure they do." I snapped out of my trance, embarrassed that I let my guard down so easily that I hadn't even heard Priapos approach. With all the training she shoved onto me, my instincts should have covered that. The elf - slipped out of her disguise since she was more comfortable that way - sat down beside me. "It's alright, Minako. Even a warrior needs to relax or they start to see danger around every corner." I sighed gratefully and looked up at the sky again. We were silent for a very long time.

"Did I make the right choice? It could be so easy but yet…" I trailed of but my kin sister caught on quickly. "It could also be too late." Priapos was silent for a moment. "We all make sacrifices one way or another. Whatever you choose, you end up risking someone's happiness anyway. I know the choice is hardly fair and I wouldn't have blamed you, if you decided to awaken the others for that. I'm sure they would have understand. Then again, you were always kind of stubborn when it came down to settling personal affairs… I mean… Hebe was." I giggled at the memory of this, remembering something from my past life on cue. "You mean like I went out all alone into the underground tunnels to rescue my favorite doll that went down there?" Priapos stiffened a laugh. "Something like that."

The event was quite ridiculous. We were both still very young, six or seven maybe, I didn't quite remember. I wasn't really into those things like dolls and everything but the particular one had been a gift from my kin sister and it accidentally went down into what could be compared to our local sewers. Not so stinky and unclean due to the high magical influence on Venus but there were a lot of tales spun from the adults about this tunnels. Tales about ruthless monsters and the sort. I had went down anyway with Priapos following like a dutiful bodyguard, even though I told her all the time I could and would do this alone. We ended up running from the huge shadow of a monster, that turned out as nothing more than a very quick spider that chased us down the tunnels… But we found the doll in the end.

Priapos and I smiled at the memory and just kept sitting there for a while before I felt my kin sister's hand rest on my shoulder. "We'll find her… I promise." I caught the slight hesitation in her eyes and the twinkle of sadness in her voice. "What's wrong, Pria? You're not blaming yourself again, are you?" As loyal as she was, sometimes the elf was going a bit overboard with it. That behavior was no different to what she used to be like in the old days, only a bit more reserved now. I had told her time and time again that she wasn't responsible for Hotaru's captivity but as good as I know her she was probably still blaming herself for so blindly following Adonis and whoever stood behind his plans. I was certain where was someone behind it because the guy was never that smart!

"No, not really," my kin sister replied finally, heaving a sigh. "I just wish I would know more. All I know is that I shouldn't even be in this time, we never should have come here but… I don't even remember why or how we came here." I could make out confusion mingled with the need to understand. I realized that it must be awful to not now what has happened to you. I tried to imagine what it would have been like then a ten-year old Hebe had woken up in our time one day… Scary. Hebe in me shuddered, I think.

"Understandable," I said out loud. "I think we both would really like to know what caused this, huh? I mean come on time travel. I'm sure Adonis couldn't have pulled this off alone." The elf laughed. "Not likely. I don't know really, I never was so high up to get any clues, just followed orders. Oh, I feel so stupid."

"Ask Endymion about it, when you ever get to meet him again," I replied and Priapos was silent, mulling this one other. Then, as if suddenly having made up her might she grinned. "I'm an idiot for playing depressed here, right? After all I should be here to cheer you up, not the other way around." You are doing it already, I smiled to myself silently. Out loud I answered her grin with one of my own. "Yup, definitely making a baka out of yourself." Priapos hmphed but laughed anyway…

I have to thank her for that really. If it wasn't for Pria, I would have gone crazy already. She manages to pull me out of my misery no matter what. Really amazing actually but I should not complain. Hebe and I are not that different apart from growing up in different societies with different rules and traditions. That probably is why we aren't so different because both of us never gave much of a thought about style, behavior or such things. Who cared what the society dictated? Hebe just wanted to live and enjoy that life and so do I. Therefore Priapos doesn't have such a hard time adjusting.

As I said before, we found the hideout. It is pretty silly actually. You know, there is an old military base here in the area. Kathryn had explained that it was mostly unused but every now and then either police or military would practice there. We had discarded the place on mutual agreement at first, thinking that Adonis would never choose such an obvious place. And that's probably what he had hoped for. We got the hint about the reports of strange activities around the base from Kathryn who urged us to look into that matter since there was absolutely nothing scheduled for months. Well, we went and surprise! Youma running over the place and dark energy everywhere. We never managed to spot Adonis or Hotaru for that matter but what we saw was enough for Priapos, Artemis and me. A diversion was one thing but for a diversion the energy level was much too high.

Gah, really, we have been running around our target the whole time and never even seen the obvious. For the gist of it, I can't get the feeling out of my system that something had deliberately led us on. Be it as it is. Tomorrow we are going to raid this place full of Youma and the Kami-knows-what. But Adonis is there and with him Hotaru, that is a given. I had felt a strong pull from our bond while we were hiding and observing. I am going to get Hotaru out of there and if it is the last thing I do.

Hopefully until next time, dear diary.

Your

Minako

(Hotaru)

The silence around me had been eerie and unnerving for most of the time, so had been the impenetrable darkness. There was nothing I could see or hear with the exception of my own breathing and the voices in my head. Megumi's voice and those of other people I only vaguely know. However, they were gone now. The voices were gone and the only thing that remained was me, me and the protective glow of the pendant. I had my eyes closed because it really didn't make any difference. There wasn't Megumi's face like before, where weren't anymore dreams threatening my heart. Nothing could or would get through to me, only my mate, for who I waited with new confidence and calm.

Footsteps. Someone was coming. I opened my eyes and relaxed my trance to the point where I could perceive my surroundings again. The darkness was giving way to a figure that stepped into the room and without looking, I knew who it was. "So you decided to stop by after all." With a wave of his hand Adonis lightened a few torches and I had to resist the urge to squint against the sudden light. The tall man's eyes focused on mine and I saw the glimmer of surprise there. "And you are still resisting. Incredible."

He stepped closer to let his hands glide over my body. Do not show fear, nor disgust. He cannot hurt you. Repeating the mantra in my head, I refused to shudder, even as his hands reached my face and he tipped with one finger against my forehead. I lifted my eyes to meet his and smiled grimly. "I believe." Adonis raised one eyebrow. "In my MATE," I clarified, emphasizing the word with as much force as I was able to. Dark energy crackled around his fingertip in response and I continued smiling with indifference. He was no threat to me. "I might have to be more persistent then."

Cold electricity danced across my skin, scraping it but not yet released. Before anything could happen though, there was a sudden flash and the power discharged, burning its caster. Adonis flinched and stepped back. "What was that?" I felt my pendant glowing brightly and I was pretty sure he could see it now too. As if to confirm that theory, Adonis suddenly lunged forward and pulled the silver artifact out of its concealment. For a moment the Venusian man just stared at the object in his hands before his eyes narrowed dangerously. "I see."

*This is merely an anchor and can only work as long as there still is belief in you.* Adonis hands began to glow as he attempted to yank the pendant right from my neck but I held true to my mother's words and focused all my spiritual power I had collected over the last hours since the dream encounter into the pendant. I focused my belief and my love for Minako and secured the so fragile looking strings holding the pendant around my neck with it. Adonis recoiled, as if a lightning bolt had struck him. I smiled. Arigato, Okaasan.

Not much people knew. I think I am probably the only person alive who knew about mother's abilities and her secret profusion, the skill she had perfected over the years. Most people didn't believe in such things as magic, supernatural phenomena or such. But I did, even more now after what I have experienced since meeting Minako. And I knew mother did too because she was a mage. A not very strong in matters of force but an extremely gifted one. She showed me a lot of things and the reason why mother always spent time with me and reminded me to never ignore my visions, was because she knew I was gifted too. Gifted in a way, she said, she didn't understand. I didn't really believe it back then, I was a child despite my high-tuned senses after all. And after the incident, how could I believe then? If anything, I thought, the only thing I was gifted in, was to hurt the people I loved. Not anymore. I understood now, as long as I thought that I was indeed the cause of their pain, as long as I didn't believe in the good of my own heart, it would never end.

"You cannot control me. Nobody can control me," I said calmly the pendant glowing brightly in response. Adonis cursed. "Damn you, if you don't want to give in lightly, when I…" A crash and a distant explosion interrupted his outburst and my captor whirled around. "What…" Another explosion, this time a bit closer. I felt along the line of our bond and was pleased to find my suspicion confirmed. "Seems to me, as if my belief holds true after all."

Adonis turned his head in my direction, with an annoyed snarl in his face. "We will see." And with a flash he was gone. I was alone again but that was alright, because Minako was close. I would just have to hold out a little longer and Adonis would probably be to occupied to bother me again. Not that he could harm me anyway. However… I hoped Minako would be alright, I prayed for her safety and wished I could do something more to aid her beside believing. I hated to be always the weak one, once in my life I wanted to actively help the person I loved.

*What would you be willing to give for it?* I hesitated. This voice wasn't of the ominous, dark presence that spooked around my head for six years now. No, that was purer, more familiar and yet strange. I felt it before, even before the incident. This cold, yet calming presence that gave me strength when I needed it the most. *Everything.*

*Then prove me that.* And with that my eyes fell shut and my body relaxed, as I began to fight a battle of my own, a battle that only I could fight and only I could win. A battle against myself.

(Minako)

"Alright. This is it."

Artemis, Kathryn, Priapos and I were crouched down right outside the military base. Youma could be seen walking around and guarding the area. Apparently to the common eye this place would still seem to be empty. I could tell because Kathryn had to strain herself to even see the creatures that did not exist in normal people beliefs. And even I could see the faint glimmer of something around the base preventing the true source of the "odd activity" to be discovered.

I looked to my left and right, casting last questioning glances at my comrades and received determined nods. I was a bit reluctant to let Kathryn join this battle but she had felt responsible also for Hotaru and I was sure that I could not hold her back anyway. It was time then. Time that we brought this struggle to a conclusion and Hotaru back home.

"Matte, Mina-chan." I turned to Artemis and saw him performing a backflip which produced a small pen with a five-pointed star on top and the symbol of Venus in the middle. My partner looked up at me with a grim expression. "Take this. You are ready for the next stage, more than ready." I picked up the new transformation and studied it determined for a moment. Words sprang to my mind and I didn't hesitate to call them out. "VENUS STAR POWER, MAKE UP!"

A moment later I launched myself straight over the electric fence, right beside me was Artemis while my kin sister cleared the way for Kathryn with a quick slash. As expected the moment we passed the invisible area every creature out in the open was upon us in a flash. "CRESCENT BEAM SHOWER!" With a barrage of beams I cleared a path for Priapos and Kathryn who was equipped with a strange laser-like weapon - I did not even want to know where that came from - at my sides. With a flash the extended Venus Tear was in my hands and we rushed forward.

The onslaught of monsters was restless and we had to fight for every inch but when we finally reached the inside of the quite huge base, the true challenge was yet to began. Youma were falling left and right and more came. Most of them were weak but it would not be long until we encountered the stronger ones. And yet we did not falter in our advance, pushing forward slowly but steadily. The time of waiting, the time of hesitation had long passed, none of us would surrender or retreat.

I could only marvel at the strength and the devotion of my kin sister and my dear friend Kathryn. Even though it was not truly their fight, both would stand with me no matter what. Kathryn was not like us, yet she fought the best she could, never giving reason for us to slow down. For her Hotaru had become a good friend, someone she could communicate with without the fear of taking her away from me as with Allen. The police officer, knew that she couldn't do much but was willing to give what she could. Without her efforts and resources we might not even have been here and searched around the base for a long time, too long.

I did not even have to think about why Priapos fought with me. As long as I could remember my kin sister had been at my side, in my childhood on Venus, even while I was with the other Senshi on the Moon I always felt her presence right beside me, aiding me, giving me strength. When she was controlled by the enemy it had pained me. Pained not only Hebe but also Minako. And now, now she was devoted to the person I had become. Minako, Hebe, Venus… Priapos cared about all of the aspects, she had come to understand and wanted to do everything to undo the pain she had unintentionally caused her kin sister.

"VENUS WINK-CHAIN SWORD!" The Venus Tear flared brightly and a golden blade shot forward from its tip tearing through a swarm of lesser Youma. I had found out that the mythical stone was to some degree as much a focus as the Ginzuishou was a weapon. It all depended on the heart and the will of the wielder. Magic cast through the Venus Tear was considerably stronger and with lesser strain to the magical reserves. However, the longer I used the crystal, the more intense my heart and feelings were strained, so I had to be careful.

I looked around and saw that we were still surrounded by a good dozen of Youma and we hadn't even left the outer circle. On this rate we would fall before I could reach Hotaru. Priapos was slashing through a Youma just now, while Kathryn held a group with accurate shots of her laser at bay. I decided it was time for some roundhouse action, if we ever were to proceed. Shrugging of my current opponent I jumped up straight into the air, lifting the Venus Tear which reshaped by my will. Priapos immediately recognized one of my verified attacks that we had been practicing and shoved Kathryn to the ground. "GOLDEN RING CIRCLE!" The crystal in my hand glowed a bright gold and expanded into a ring of pure energy slicing through the remaining Youma. The attack was not that spectacular as it seemed, just a variation of the Love-me Chain fueled by the Venus Tear's power.

I landed back on the ground and took a few moments to catch my breath. Energy flooded into me and I felt Priapos' hand on my shoulder. "Arigato," I breathed, then straightened up and looked over to Kathryn who was already flushed from the strain. "Stay here and secure this area." Priapos formed a second blade of magic and tossed it into Kathryn's hands who was a little surprised by that. "These weapons are wielded by the strength of the heart. Wish for it and it will answer you." I shot a questioning look at my older friend who looked down at the blade in her shaking hands but nodded nonetheless.

Priapos and I turned around without a further word and together with Artemis continued into the labyrinth of corridors in search of my abducted mate.

(Hotaru)

My vision cleared slowly and there was an odd feeling in my heart. Somewhat… empty. No, not really empty, more like alone, single. Panicked I reached out to test my connection with Minako and was relieved to find it intact. Still, there was something different and strange, something unfamiliar that I just couldn't figure out. The incredible thing was that I felt relieved as well as troubled by the absence of… it?

Deciding to let the feeling go for the moment, I looked around and noted that my surroundings were by all means unfamiliar, yet something told me I had been here, a long, long time ago. A vast desert lay before me. Most of it was dust or not even sold, like some kind of mist that rose from the ground to make the atmosphere thick and blur one's vision. There was no sun visible to the eye and neither was the Moon. There were moons alright. Yes, MOONS, some of the satellites appeared not to be bigger than small points in the sky from my position but I was absolutely sure these were moons.

Titan, Rhea, Sinope… I counted them off in my head and stopped in mid-thought. Nani? I am on Saturn? But how…? I trailed of looking around closely. It made some kind of sense, with the planets atmosphere and the various number of moons, never mind that I didn't even knew HOW I identified some of them. I didn't remember hearing anything about mist on Saturn, then again no human really had set foot on the planet.

"Nobody but you." I whirled around startled at the deep, cold voice that was frighteningly familiar and similar to my own. There perched on a crumbled stone formation stood a figure clad in a white-violet fuku, similar to that of Venus' but yet with some striking differences. There were for once the long black ribbons from the back bow and the eight-pointed, white crystal on her chest, right in the middle of the black bow. What sent a shiver down my spine though was the gleaming steel of the glaive that the girl held loosely in one hand. The murderous object loomed forebodingly over the short Senshi. Her face, her hair, the skin and body, however. They were all mine.

I stared for several moments at the figure, the presence I felt was familiar and I began to realize it was the same source of power that had risen time and time again to do… something. It wasn't the demon, so much I was sure about. The presence was powerful, destructive yes, but not evil. Clearly not evil. And now I think I knew why.

The Senshi looked at me expectantly but patiently. I tried to meet her eyes but the deep pools swirling with powers virtually shocked me away. The gaze was so intense and yet indifferent, the whole experience was purely eerie. "You… I… I know you… You are… What have you… done?" The Senshi smiled and instead of relieving me, it scared me even more. "Yes, you know me. I have been with you since you were born in this world."

"With me? But you are…" The Senshi's smile never left her face and the indifferent way about it was truly unsettling. "I am Sailorsaturn. The Senshi of Silence, who is the end and the beginning, nemesis and marker of a new cycle. You, Tome Hotaru, are my rebirth." Saturn made a swishing gesture with her weapon and her tiara flashed brightly, giving way to the glowing sign of Saturn on her forehead for a brief moment,

I gulped, blinking repeatedly in vast astonishment at the figure who claimed to be literally me. A part of me, like Hebe was to Minako. I was hardly able to comprehend the thought that I, I out of all people harbored the reborn spirit of a Senshi. Truly I should be surprised, however, somehow I wasn't. Some part in me had always sensed that there was something special inside of me. Something I could not quite grasp, well out of my reach.

"How can it be?" I asked out loud, my voice small and cracking. Saturn shifted her weapon and made another motion with it, as scenes appeared in the air in front of us. I could make out a beautiful palace surrounded by a peaceful, silver ocean. A golden Crescent Moon was seated atop the highest tower. "The Moon Palace in the era of the Silver Millennium," Saturn explained in this indifferent and chilling voice again. The scene shifted and showed familiar shots from a devastating battle, the Senshi fighting monsters, Venus among them, the armies of Metallia were slowly pressing forward. I wanted to look away when the Senshi died through Metallia's dark power but found myself unable to move. Moments later a bright purple flash rushed over the palace, stretching out over the whole moon's surface.

"The era had come to an end," Saturn continued, her voice more like a background narrator now. "It was my time." The scene shifted to the planet of Saturn and a lone figure ascending out of it. In the distance I could see the planets Uranus, Neptune and Pluto glowing in faint colors, thin energy lines connecting with Saturn in an irregular pattern. The scene shifted back to the Moon where Sailorsaturn touched down on the cool surface, looking around stoically but yet with a hint of sadness. She walked over to the ruins of the palace and there, leaning on a pillar, lay the dead Queen of the Moon. Saturn kneeled down before her and I could suddenly hear her voice.

"I have come for my first, single and only duty to you." There was no response as was expected from a dead person and if I was not mistaken I could see a single tear fall to the ground from the otherwise expressionless face of the Senshi. *Go with them.* Saturn lifted her head surprised. The Crescent Moon on Serenity's forehead glowed softly. *It is time for the Senshi to unite on Earth. The era has ended, the next must come, it is the sign.* The Senshi hesitated for a brief moment, apparently not sure about the Queen's request. "As you wish," she finally said and rose again.

Lifting her weapon to the sky she called out three words echoing for a long time over the surface of the planet. "DEATH REBORN REVOLUTION!" Ribbons of black and violet emerged from the tip of the glowing scythe - the Silence Glaive - and began to consume everything in their path.

"That is, how." I snapped out of my trance, so caught up in the experience that I had almost forgotten about the real Saturn now standing atop her resting place. "Fourteen years ago, Tome Hotaru was born in this world and with her, as by request of the late Serenity, the Senshi of Saturn." She suddenly hopped forward and landed only a few feet from me, I flinched a bit but hold my ground. "However, my time has not yet come and when this is over, one way or another, you will not remember about our encounter. Yet, you sought my aid in the upcoming struggle your… mate has to endure, is that not so?"

I shivered a little when she pronounced the word "mate" and uncertainly wondered what a Senshi of Saturn's power and standing thought about my mate bond with Minako, her fellow Senshi Venus. I nodded wearily. Saturn smiled again, this time actually a bit warmer. "Your courage and devotion to Venus' reincarnated spirit has moved me and stirred my conscious before my time was about to come. Frankly I didn't actually expect things to turn out like they are, especially..." She swung the Silence Glaive again and drew a flickering thin line of energy in the air, strings of orange-gold and violet-purple curling around each other. Without question Minako and my bond. "… this."

"Ah…" I said and looked up a bit sheepishly, surprised to still find the smile there which I could not determine, if it scared me more than her usual expression or not. "Yeah, this… you see… I… we… I mean, I'm sorry, if I…" Saturn shook her head, cutting me off with a nonchalant gesture. "Do not worry about that. What you do with your life is your quarrel." Her smile faded and her face turned back to cold, indifferent mask, "However, it became my quarrel when you openly requested my help. I heard your wish and will grant it… IF you pass the test."

Yeah sure, should have known. I could not just for once in my life get something for free, right? Oh well, if she meant to test me, she should go ahead. My love to Minako was imperturbable. I knew this and if she was a part of me for all of my life she knew this too. I met her gaze in a silent challenge, letting confidence course through me.

"Very well," Saturn said and tipped the rear end of her weapon against the cool surface, twice. "Then meet your nemesis." I shivered a little at the choice of words and wondered just what Saturn meant by it. A chill ran down my spine and I sensed a familiar presence that had been absent ever since I entered the dreamscape of Saturn. And now I knew exactly what it was that I had felt missing earlier. Neither the presence of Saturn was present, nor that of the demon… Then that meant, by personal nemesis Saturn was referring to…

A shadow stepped out of the mists, tall and menacing with a defined aura of darkness around it. The features of the… woman became slowly visible. She was wearing a long black dress, her upper chest bare, leaving very little to the imagination. She had a vast amount of jewelry on her body which was tall and radiated a deadly beauty. Long ebony-black hair cascaded in wild strands down her back and long legs. The eyes were a piercing shade of black with a crimson gleam to them, the lips curved into a cruel smile outlined with thick, violet lipstick - or was that natural?

I stepped back uneasily, my eyes never leaving the woman, her gaze fixed on me almost mockingly. She looked down as she stood before the thin line of Minako and my bond and grinned wickedly. Saturn made a short a swift move with her glaive, pointing it threateningly at the woman and shaking her head. The demon snarled but stepped, awfully close and almost brushing, over the energy line. She turned right and walked away from Saturn, positioning herself on one end that the bond marked. Saturn gestured for me and I hesitantly stepped forward to walk to the other end.

"I separated our mingled spirits in order to determine the fate of Tomoe Hotaru and Mistress 9. Both of you have to prove worthy to dominate this body." Saturn pointed the Silence Glaive at the demon called Mistress 9. "I can remove you." The demoness glared but the Senshi ignored it and raised her weapon in striking distance of the bond, which made my heart jump a little. "Or I can cut this." Resting the Silence Glaive once again to the ground, she tapped three times on the ground. "Begin."

(Venus)

I turned a corner and immediately went into a tight roll clearing away from a swift and surely fatal blow from a HUGE Youma with a head like a gorilla and matching arms. Brr… Priapos came rushing in behind me and before the Youma could do so much as scream my kin sisters energy blade cut his head right off, reducing the creature to dust - as usual. We didn't waste time with comments but took position side by side in the thinner hallway, thinner than most of the others. A horde of monster came rushing towards us… Too easy.

Gathering her own magic Priapos let a medium-sized ball of mint-green hovering over the palm of her free hand. I did likewise, calling upon my own given power. "ROLLING HEART VIBRATION!" A bright red heart-shaped blast raced forward and was immediately engulfed and mixed by the green one. Another explosion rattled the base to the core as the dozen or so Youma were crumbling away from their own foolishness.

"How many of those does he have here? You could almost think, he had this planned for weeks!" I shot Priapos a curious look but the elf just shrugged her shoulders. "He never told me anything important. Just mission instructions… Well, actually it was just one mission…" Her gaze dropped briefly but went back to me when I touched her gently on the shoulder. "Let's move on. Can't be too further away now." It ought to better not be further away now or I'll think I would fall over from exhaustion before I even reached Adonis! Priapos jumped up, spun around and nailed another Youma that had snuck up on unnoticed with two quick slashes. "Yeah, the sooner, the better."

With that we continued sprinting towards the inner area where we guessed Adonis to be and where the small but steady ripples from my bond with Hotaru came from. It was a little hard to follow, because it was so… calm… I couldn't describe it but Hotaru's presence felt a little off, distant, not quite herself and yet still her. Didn't make much sense but at least I knew that there was no immediate danger, none I could detect anyway. I really hope you are alright, I silently prayed, trying to reach out over our connection, reassuring her, letting her know I was coming. I had done it once. Right before we entered I had felt an interesting kind of sensation float through me. Confidence, inner strength. I bet Hotaru must have pretty annoyed Adonis… A thought I could only smile at.

Yet now, there was nothing, no response at all. Something was successfully blocking us. I knew it wasn't Hotaru, that would be different, I was used to that from time to time. But this, this felt like a thick mist that could not be penetrated or at least had to be worked hard on to do so. I didn't have the time for deep concentration, other than following the thin echo and combat awareness. At least Priapos' training had really paid of. I felt more agile, stronger and enduring like ever before. And my reflexes were razor-sharp too!

So it came that I reacted with the speed of a super-feline when we went around the corner just to find ourselves in the middle of another small army of Youma and those seemed somewhat more resistant. There was a faintly stronger aura of blackness around them. More power, higher positions… And they were still so much! Not to mention that they were on us in a flash…

Must be nearby, that seems to be the honor guard, I thought while dodging under one kick, gripping the creepy flesh and without remorse - remorse for a Youma, an amusing thought - I twisted the leg around, drawing a howl of pain from my attacker. Sensing another approach from behind, I vaulted my now helpless victim around by his foot and swung him headfirst into its partner in crime. They didn't let me time to effectively cast a spell and I guessed that when I had to do anymore area clearing, I would be not able to face Adonis anymore. I just knew, I would need a lot of reserves, reserves I had vastly strained while working our way through the base. That's actually why I refrained from using the Venus Tear and just cast an orange-sparkling energy blade like Priapos used to do.

Ten seconds of dodging and striking later, we found ourselves back to back, catching our breath while our position allowed us a short moment to review the situation. Not good. There were at least fifteen Youma yet and it was hard enough to take one or two of them out in one stride. One stride, that was the best you got in the middle of this mess. Priapos parried of a sharp lance-like weapon - or better cut right through it - and then a dim, green field shimmered into existence. The shield would not hold long but I mused that that surely wasn't the plan.

"You know, where she is?" I nodded slowly, concentrating slightly, trying to find the cord that I had lost in the middle of battle heat. There. Very close now. I pointed into the direction I faced. "Just a couple of hundred feet maybe. Very close. That ought to the last of them." Priapos nodded and her eyes narrowed as I began to realize she was coming up with some sort of ridiculous seppuku plan. Priapos was a great military strategist, always having an answer to a seemingly hopeless situation. The problem was, most of her plans were outright crazy, unhealthy and she was barely able to pull them of. She did manage to survive any of her schemes so far, though.

"When I say jump, then jump." And with that she dropped the shield, leaving me no time to think, as she rushed up into the air. While I fended of fifteen highly-skilled Youma by myself, I noticed with battle-steeled experience and Hebe's memories that Priapos was zigzagging in the air, drawing a pentagram. Zipping one last final time around the drawn star, she completed the circle and I had my muscles already strained my muscles… "Now!" And before the command even fully left her mouth I was airborne, a stunning ring of green magic dropped onto the monster mass, paralyzing them effectually for some time. I didn't really need to hear her next command to know what was coming. "Go. I'll handle them."

Hesitating just for the briefest of moment, I sought out my friend's eyes, determined, twinkling from excitement. She loved this! Deciding that is was no use to argue with her, I turned around sharply and sprinted down the corridor. If you could trust anyone to handle herself in a crazy fight like this, it probably was Priapos. I had more important things to do, much more important things.

(Hotaru)

"Urk…"

This was ridiculous. Really ridiculous. How was I, little, powerless me, supposed to fight a DEMON! I toppled backwards when the black bolt struck me once again, this time right into my gut. If this had been real, I would surely have lost all the food in my stomach. Oh right, there couldn't be anything left since Adonis' hadn't feed me. But, god, it FELT real! And there was actually blood on the ground that I just noticed, my vision blurring from the loss of fluids…

It had gone like that the last few minutes. Mistress 9 was playing with me, taunting me and inflicting the most peculiar kinds of pain without killing me. She could have snapped my neck by now, I was sure of that or she could have evaporated me with one of this damn, stinging bolts. That was worse than a high voltage electric shock and I felt every discharge still rippling over my body in tiny, painful ways. Gah, I wish she would just kill me…

Damn it, no! I reminded myself sternly of what was at stake here. It wasn't just my life on the line but Minako's also, at very least her happiness. And if that was taken away from her then, THEN it would be her life because I don't think she could stand this agony again. Not with Hebe's fresh memories of Kunzite's betrayal and death at her hands and all the other crushes and losses. An image of Saturn's glaive looming over the sparkling string representing our bond flickered through my mind. No, I could not lose this fight. Somehow I had to find a way to fight back, somehow I had to find a way to stop this… this bitch from taking over my body and…

Matte! What was that again that Saturn had said to me at the beginning of the fight? "Remember, at the moment this IS still your body. That is the advantage I must and will grant you." And somehow I knew that, even if she wanted, she could not rip this control from me, not as long as I still believed that was my body, my mind, spirit, soul and heart. As long as I fought back. Kuso, nobody would be taking MY body, not if I had any say in it. I had resisted the demon almost six years of my life and was still sane enough to form a wonderful relationship with the most beautiful girl - inside and out - that had granted me with the incredible gift of returning all this love.

"I'm tired of this, time to end…" Mistress 9 stared down at her hand, the motion caught in a glimmering band of violet, the other end held tightly between my fingers. Actually I had no idea, how I did this but it felt and came so naturally. My previous experience with dreamwalking did help here a lot. Although actually influencing the spirit realm… I grinned darkly, my eyes flashing with a sense of stubbornness I had not felt in the last years since the accident. Nobody would kill me, taking my body and make my Minako miserable. "This is still my body and I tend to keep it." I was actually effected myself by the chilly tone my voice had taken. It almost sounded like Saturn…

Mistress 9 glowered at me, then her face turned into a mock grin. "Oh yeah, with an energy cord?" I smiled secretively, sharpening my spirit and my control. With a gesture the cord changed. And I mean CHANGED. The demoness squealed in surprise, protest and maybe a little feel as a violet-silvery snake wrapped around her body. I risked a glance sideward and noticed Saturn with a barely noticeable smile and a look of approval in my direction. So far so good, now what…

An inhuman screech echoed over the bare wasteland. The penetrating smell of discharge and burnt flesh began to fill the air and my eyes widened as Mistress 9's body seemed to be engulfed in a black cloud of lightning bolts. With a loud, roaring thunder the cocoon broke and the demoness was left standing fuming, her rage building with every passing second. I gulped a little but narrowed my eyes and bit back on the fear rising inside of me. This was my mind, my spirit. There was no way she could harm me, if I didn't let her.

"YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS, LITTLE RUNT!" A powerful, little comet-sized bolt leaped forward from her outstretched, SHARP fingertips… Just to bounce harmlessly of me, as I stood my ground. My eyes were not closed but surely distant, as I once again relied on Okaasan's teachings, shutting out all negative emotions, especially pain, and focusing on the positive one, especially my love for Minako. Mistress 9 just growled frustrated and irritated that her technique hadn't work. With critical speed she lunged forward but at the last possible moment, I twisted my body and let her pass me. Getting the knack of this thing, I fueled my spiritual powers and made a wave motion, sending the equivalent in a rushing of almost non-substantial white - could be transparent crystal even - into my opponent. Caught of guard and just in the process of turning around, the wave struck Mistress 9 and sent her into a boulder… or better sending her right through it! Woah, guess I don't know my own strength!

The joy was short-lived when my adversary emerged from the debris, just slightly scarred. Her face, however, had now a matching grim smile to mine. "So, the little kind has some fighting spirit, hm? Well, then it's time to play rough." Her lips moved into a straight line. "You should have just given up, you know. I can be VERY nasty, when I am pushed." I didn't back down or let my eyes betray my emotions, however, under this icy glare I felt like I was wrenched inside out. Not like Saturn's penetrating cold one, no those eyes were piercing. As if they knew all my darkest secrets. Shimata, she already knew my darkest secrets, after all she lived six years inside of me…

Well time to change this now. Don't doubt yourself, don't doubt yourself. You are stronger, you are your own master, you can do this! I repeated it over and over again in my head.

(Priapos)

I watched Venus vanish from my sight around the corner and waited for a brief moment to let my eyes flicker back to the now growling horde of monsters. Now was the question what to do with them. I had detected a pattern in the Youma attacks throughout our venture into the core of the base. All of them were primarily fixed on Venus. There seemed to be some sort of homing device stuck in their minds. Most of them had attacked blindly, going straight for my kin sister, some usually split up to deal with the distraction possessed by myself. It was not different with the sixteen - I counted - beneath me. If I let them go now, chances were high that they would simply ignore me and I wouldn't be given a damn thought ever again. This though meant that I either had to chase after them and fight my way through them to aid Venus or that my kin sister had to deal with them after being finished with Adonis and rescuing Hotaru - not that there wasn't a possibility that they crumbled after the defeat of their master. Better not to take this chance.

No, it couldn't be helped and there was only one way to pull this off and seriously relieve Venus from some pressure. Muttering a few words in Elvish I easily managed to modify the strings tied to the Youma so that I could control them. No, I didn't control the Youma but I could now shift their attention to a target of my choice, if I wanted to… Grinning mischievously at the course of action beginning to form in my head, I waved my hand in a gesture and set the Youma free again as well as modifying their "homing beacon".

"Catch me, if you can," I grinned and shot away at top speed, a stampede of monsters close on my tail. I let them close in somewhat, then shooting forward again, successfully keeping them in eyesight but out of immediate range. Without them noticing I led them back through the labyrinth of corridors and although those were much more intelligent, they were as much slave to the directing strings, which made them follow me blindly, as their kin…monsters.

Finally I emerged into the hall where Venus, Artemis, Kathryn and I had entered. The police officer was still "standing guard", leaning against a construction pile, her laser weapon pointed directly in the direction there I came from. She almost fired when I came zipping around the corner until she identified me and was just about to lower her weapon with a sigh and a scolding look, when my pursuers came into sight. This time Kathryn gave a yelp and fired but her aim was rather off from the surprise and it barely scratched one of the rampaging beasts.

I fluttered past her with a smug look and an excited smile. I didn't have so much fun since, since… Well, in a long time anyway. The thrill from the coordinated hunt was intoxicating and for an Efadio there was nothing better than the thrill of a desperate battle situation. We were pushed to our limits then and the more we were pushed, the stronger we became. That here was merely a comparable situation since I had it under a tight control but still it was… fun!

When I reached the outside, I immediately shot up into the sky, watching the masses of Youma stumble out after me and looking wildly around. I let them look a bit after one saw me up in the sky and barked something obviously distasteful. I merely smiled and waved my hand once again, chanting softly in my native tongue. There was a flash of the green pentagram around the group once more, just for a brief moment, then it was done. The Youma hesitated for a moment, confused by the target change and the exact nature of this target. Finally they started forward simultaneously, going at each other like a horde of blood-lusty animals. Body fluids were sprayed, arms and legs, inhuman screams echoed through the air. The Youma were attacking… each other.

I grinned triumphantly. Gathering a column of magic in my hands, I let the energy gather for a moment before it reached its peak. "KISHKAAN MOISTURE!" The gathered ball suddenly exploded outward and send several, small "bands" of rippling green wetness down, wrapping around the remaining creatures before they could continued this albeit the fun factor disgusting display. The moisture of the Kishkaan was known on Venus as the strongest acid in the whole inner ring system. Needless to say the effect was immediate.

Softly I tipped down to the ground, several feet away from the reminders of the vicious feast the Youma had held between themselves… with themselves. I huffed and crossed my arms. "Teaches you to never mess with me again." I looked back and spotted Kathryn in the entrance, hovering there stunned an unreadable expression in her face. For once she seemed, as if she wanted to throw up anytime but then again, she was too shocked to do anything. I gave her a lopsided smile and headed back in side waving her after me. "Should be the rest of them. Let's find Minako and Hotaru and see, if we can help out."

Kathryn grumbled something under her breath but followed. Now, I just wished Hebe could have seen this!

(Venus)

The door to the "Admiral's Office" slid open easily, revealing a surprisingly enormous room. Offices usually weren't that big, not even that of high-ranked inhabitants. At least a dozen yards large from wall to wall and window to the door. The desk was neatly arranged and of dark brown wood with a large monitor resting in the middle. The curtains were tightly shut and no daylight fell into the room but the unnatural neon glow of the overhead lights were illuminating the office deep into the furthest corner. There were no signs of natural life here, no plants, flowers or anything else. Not that I expected some, it just surprised me that Adonis as a Venusian would like to live so… sparse and tidy. I guess, he didn't have time to set something more appropriate up… As if I cared.

Discarding the thought, I looked around trying to orientate myself. Hotaru was here somewhere, I could tell it. But… there was nothing that could conceal her from my sight. There was, as I said, no sign of life albeit the echo surely had come from this room. So… where was she? Maybe some sort of secret passage, a hidden gateway? No, there was no feel of negative energy that could indicate a portal of sorts. Maybe I could get something from that computer.

Crossing the room, I slid into the chair behind the desk and was relieved to find the screen still active and the system obviously in full run. Adonis had always been a bit careless with information. With a few keystrokes, I searched my way through the mass of data. There were a few, very interesting bits of information catching my eye, yet most of them were coded and hard to decipher. Even with all the experience I got over the last years, I wasn't Ami. Still, I could say for certain that some files were encrypted in the Lunar script.

What is that about a weird, caped man… Where did he come from and did he have something to do with Adonis' appearance here? These were clearly records still from the Silver Millennium area and some of the names used in cross-references rather often registered in my mind as distinctly familiar. Kuso, I wish I could still read this properly. I can swear I heard some of this names before. Where the heck is Artemis anyway? I had lost sight of somewhere during three fights ago. I could really use him now since he was naturally fluid in Lunari. Taking out a small crystalline disk, I attached it to the terminal and copied the files in a flash.

When I wanted to detach the disk again, my hand brushed over something. A switch? Oh, you are so old-fashioned, Adonis. I flipped the switch and promptly a section of the wall to my right slid opened and revealed a narrow hallway, dark and without any light. From my position I could not tell, if it went straight forward or down. I pocketed the disk into subspace and moved forward towards the opening. At that moment a slightly out of breath Artemis emerged in the door to the outer hallway.

"*Pant*… There you are. Kuso, Minako, did you have to run so fast…?" I paid him not much attention but carefully peered into the darkness. Artemis stepped up beside me and looked thoughtfully for a moment. "That smells like a trap." Exactly my thought, still I had no chance in this matter. That was the only possibility where I could find Hotaru, and finding her I would! "I know." With that I stepped forward, startling a protesting white cat which tailed muttering behind me. Chanting in a soft whisper, I created a small sphere of light floating in the air before me like a firefly leading me to it's namesake. My senses were sharpened and my hand twitched ever so slightly in expectation of an attack.

However, none came and then we reached the end of the straight, narrow corridor, we emerged in a dimly-lit room, a few torches burning. My superior night-vision pierced through the shadows, making out a surprisingly normal room/office. I had expected a dark, wet castle setting of late middle age or something. That surprise turned quickly into dismay as my eyes were drawn like a magnet to the figure in the middle of the back wall. Her wrists and ankles were tied by heavy-looking shackles, her head dropped and her body slumped.

"Hotaru!" I cried out, throwing all thoughts of caution overboard as I rushed forward in fear that I might be too late. But that couldn't be since I still felt her presence on the other side of our bond. My worries proved to be partially unnecessary since I quickly discovered that she just wasn't conscious… No, in some sort of deep trance. There was a faint aura of something around her that let me shiver. Her body seemed to be severally weakened, from lack of fluids probably, and I could tell there was more physical damage underneath the light clothing - still the same as when she was taken - that I was aware of. I scowled darkly and run a finger over her features, mesmerized by the face I had missed so much. "What has he done to you?"

I jumped back in shock, as Hotaru's head suddenly snapped up and her body was pressed against the wall as she buckled over, as if she had been punched in the stomach. And she was spitting blood! "Hotaru," I screamed and tried to hold her steady, shaking her. There was no reaction. Closing my eyes I send a cascade of love down our bond, lending her some energy. The smaller girl's condition seemed to steady and I received bits and pieces of some sort of inner struggle. I could not tell but I knew that it was extremely important to Hotaru… The reassurance seemed to help though and I felt her confidence rising.

"My, my, what a lovely picture." I whirled around, hot-blazing anger in my eyes at the familiar voice. "You!" My tone dropped dangerously low. "What did you do to her?" With a flash the Venus Tear lay in my hands glowing brighter with my rising fury. Adonis wasn't impressed and grumbled something before replying coyly: "Oh, nothing much. I tried to raise that demon, really. But that bitch is pretty stubborn. If I had some more time though…" He stopped himself, as the ancient crystal in my hand flared to life in a display of four cross-arranged blades. "Adonis," I growled, punctuating my words sharply, "how can you dare taking my mate!" There was much of Hebe in the voice and Adonis shrunk back ever so slightly.

"Your mate," he laughed sarcastically. "Oh, come on, face it, Venus. There is no such thing for you - besides me that is of course. How long do you think you can keep her, hm? One more week, a month, a year maybe? Face the facts, girl, where is no happiness for you except your bloody mission. You are a caged animal that declines itself the wonders of freedom although it is able to break free by own free will. Come join us and we are making everything better than it was back then. You and I can be happy." Adonis indicated towards Hotaru. "This one is not suited for you. She is staining your light, Venus…"

Somewhere at this point, I had had enough of his talk. I had heard it again and again. Hebe had heard it again and again. However, when he began insulting Hotaru that was the final straw to my patience. I lifted a hand and shot a warning Crescent Beam narrowly missing his head. Outwardly calm I fixed an icy glare on him, holding my weapon loosely. "Shows how much you know. When did you ever do anything to impress me. You got yourself controlled by Metallia and Beryl, you are obviously not better of yet. And still you are ridiculously obsessed with me. How about you face it that I will never love you." I indicated at Hotaru myself. "If you would really wanted me to be happy, you would see how much I am right now. Priapos did see it - which doesn't surprise me, since she has much more brains when you. Anyway, as I said, if you love me, as you said, you would finally step aside and let me life my life. A life that I have here and that I like. There is never a perfect life but that one here, as Aino Minako, this is a good life." My voice lost its indifference, as my eyes blazed once again, my anger formed into a sharp hot dagger by now. "And you just committed the greatest crime against a Sailorsenshi. You tried to take away her chosen mate!"

With tremendous speed I rushed forward, swinging my weapon at the handsome Venusian. Adonis stepped back, baffled by my fierce fury. He recovered quickly and flung a bolt a dark energy at me that harmlessly bounced of the blurring blade which's motion could make you dizzy. Striking out once again, I fainted a brutal, frontal slash and as expected Adonis drew back and slightly to the side… right into the path of a Venus Tear fueled Crescent Beam that hammered him backwards against the wall.

"Oops, gomen," I taunted, holding my weapon in an uphold position. "I thought you could take a little more. But… I shouldn't have bothered. Even without this," - I gestured at the transformed Venus Tear -, "I could beat you easily." If it wasn't for the dark aura of darkness surrounding and supporting the Venusian I would have to fear nothing from him. However, that incalculable element made it hard to judge his real strength. I was fairly sure that Adonis was unaware of being controlled, maybe not even really caring much.

"Be careful, Minako. There is an indefinable feel here that I can't quite place," Artemis murmured softly, his eyes briefly switching to Hotaru's still unconscious form - I really wished I had time to at least cut the shackles and put her down. "And it's not from Hotaru." That got my attention and I watched, shifting my balance slightly, as Adonis rose from his position. He chuckled darkly. "You Mau people always had this knack, didn't you?"

I drew back than I saw the small sphere of… nothingness in his hand, glowing eerily and growing brighter. It could really not been described as darkness or blackness or anything else in this area. There was just a deep abyss of nothing in the air over his outstretched palm. Adonis smiled darkly. "We will see who has the advantage over who, dear Venus, we will see." And with that he flung the sphere to the ground where it exploded right upon contact, expanding at an alarming rate. I had my arms up, instinctively shielding myself, as the non-substance passed over us. And then I looked up again, we were in some sort of space, not no space… There was literally nothing here. Painted black was the only word that sprung to my mind. It really was, as if we were standing on a painted black background. We could see each other - which was rather unsettling due to the fact that there was no light - but other than that there was nothing. One thing was for sure that was not Earth anymore…

"Where…?" I gasped out, looking around and spotting Artemis to my feet and Hotaru still hanging now practically in midair, chained by invisible holds. Adonis smirked. "Nice, isn't it? I've got this little present g from our savior. This is a dimension where every light is absorbed. I have to admit that I am impressed and proud that my suspicious had been right. You really have obtained and mastered the legendary Venus Tear. But that will not help you here. This dimension even nullifies the power of the Ginzuishou." He didn't react as I stared at him wide-eyed at the implications, realizing that the light from the Tear had dimmed down and was getting weaker with every passing moment.

"I'll give you one last choice. Join us and we create something far greater than the Silver Millennium has ever achieved. Otherwise…" I looked back at Hotaru writhing in her trance, obviously fighting very hard on her own inward battle. A slight gasp, an inaudible scream… My eyes hardened, as I let all this impressions, feelings and emotions pour right into my heart, fueling it with new essence. The Venus Tear sprung back to life and I smiled coyly at Adonis. "Forget it."

(Hotaru)

Didn't I already said I had enough of that DAMNED VISIONS! Really, I was getting along just fine and actually thought I was gaining an upper hand in my fight with the demon when Mistress 9 started to attack me psychological again, as if this was real and she was still inside my head. Drawing one vision after another from me which were awfully distracting. It wasn't as much as if I could not fend them off or that they really effected me anymore. My mind was set on one single thing and I was going to tear right through them, if necessary. Sure it wasn't that simple. The trick was to find the core of the vision, analyze it and then counter it. Not so hard actually but it needed time. The flashes usually only lasted moments, seconds as best but in this time I was vulnerable and I had gotten hit a critical number of times. Nothing to be really worried about, I could manage, if I had to. However, this last psychic attack of hers…

I found myself in a setting similar to Tokyo. Well, it turned out to be Tokyo… about half a decade later. I must have been at least twenty and everything around seemed kind of normal, except then my wandering steps led me onto the campus of Azabu University. There, in the back, hidden behind a couple of trees, Minako was seated. Withdrawn, somewhat skinny, haunted… destroyed.

I approached her, feeling ill at the sight of my girlfriend like this although I knew pretty well that this was only an illusion. "Minako," I whispered softly to gain her attention. The now pale blond looked up wearily. Tired and old, her eyes held so little life. No life at all. I shuddered under the gaze. Shuddered under the gaze of a broken, merely adult girl who looked like she had walked through hell. And I could just tell she literally had.

Minako smiled, a smile that lacked any emotion and was just… lifeless… speaking of a wish just to die. No confidence. Nothing… "You are too late." I looked at her not understanding. "You are five years too late to save me." And with that she looked down again and was silent. I stood there frozen, unable to do anything or think clearly. That haunted look, like a ghost, a walking, living ghost, unable to pass over. I wanted desperately to lung forward and just rip this, this… image to shreds but I found myself unable to, glued to the ground. It is just an illusion, just a trick of your mind, I reminded myself. Nothing of this would ever happen. I would not be the cause of another life destroyed. Not Minako's! It wasn't true.

*BUT IT CAN BE, IF YOU DIE TODAY!* Tomoe Keiko's voice cut sharply into my mind, the voice of my late mother once again pulling me out of the depths of my misery… Or was it the glowing pendant I just now stared down at, finding myself back on the vast surface of Saturn. Was my mother's image just a production of the pendants function, some sort of guardian spirit looking like my mother? Be it, as it was, again the little thing saved me and brought me back to reality. I glanced up to face Mistress 9 once again and froze, staring unblinking at the enormous sphere of black energy balance one the index finger of her left hand… She was grinning wickedly at me, a somewhat crazed expression crossing her features. "Too easy," she said and flung the blast… to the side? But there was Saturn and… THE BOND!

Still stunned from the life-threatening - or was that spirit-threatening - danger and the swift change in directions of her attack, I did not react immediately. Watching the sphere spiraling towards the glowing orange-violet band, the picture of Minako from that illusion flashed before me. If I lost here now, if I died here… Then that WOULD happen. So I had to move! MOVE, HOTARU!

And I did move. Moments before the sphere made impact, I moved, crossing the distance in a blur and reappearing right between the energy blast and the band. I was acting on pure instinct, didn't even consider the fact that Saturn would probably not allow one of the bargains at hand to be destroyed by the competitors. Logical thought had completely left me, just the urge to defend my bond with Minako. I could not let this happen. If I did, I would doom Minako's happiness forever, I would be responsible for the destruction of my own soul mate's life. I could die but at least I would die trying. Not just standing by and seeing the most precious thing in my life being torn away. The most precious thing… The only valuable thing. My life had been empty without her and if my existence was justified by making her happy, if that was the only thing… even if I would get nothing in return… That was worth it.

I crouched over the glowing bond, trying to shield it with my whole body, and drew the probably last sharp breath in my existence… And held it… long, VERY long. Nothing happened. I expected pain, horrible, destructive pain. Hot fingers scraping my body quickly, mercilessly… Nothing. Not even a little stung, just… silence.

I let the breath go, slowly - very, very slowly - and looked up to encounter the tip of Saturn's Silence Glaive just inches away from my face. I resisted the urge to draw back startled and just stared unblinking. My eyes were drawn to the pendant… lying on the ground? Black energy was crackling around the edges and… It had taken the blast? It must have been thrown around by the sudden movement and then… But, even an artifact like this… Could it simply absorb such a powerful attack?

I looked back up at Saturn and then over to a fuming Mistress 9. The Senshi of Silence spoke, her tone clear and commanding. "You passed." She made a motion with the Silence Glaive and Mistress 9 screamed as her body was literally ripped apart. "Be gone." The scream following was chilling to the bone, I tell you that. Then silence again, for a long time…

Until I was startled once again by Saturn's hand offering my help to stand up. My eyes had still been fixed on the spot where the demon had been. Saturn smiled softly and her eyes shone with… approval. Yes, I think that's it. She pressed something in my hand, it was the pendant. "If you want to win, you have to be ready to lose for it. Even though, you knew you could die and would be unable to pass the test, you were ready to sacrifice yourself in order to guard the very key to your heart."

Saturn reached up with one hand and touched my forehead. Our eyes locked for a single but endless-seeming moment. Violet on violet. Deep poles of wisdom and power meeting somewhat confused but confident ones. Eyes that had seen death inflicted by her own hands, meeting ones that had seen life in all it's glory - love. "You have proven worthy." Her tiara vanished and I could see the sign of Saturn glowing once again. And there was the feeling of incredible warmth on my own forehead, spreading throughout my body. "It is time." And then I… we were gone.

(Venus)

Clang. Should energy even made sound? Somehow it did or was I just imagining it. Dark blade against a swirling of four, smaller light ones. Strike, block, twisting, evading. You had to give Adonis as much, he was a good swordsman. Not as good as me and Priapos, mind you, but then there was the factor of the other dimension and how it seemed to multiple whatever powers fueled him. Maybe this was even the power fueling him? No time to think now, I have the disk and can figure that out. Now, just concentrate on defeating Adonis and rescuing Hotaru. And DO IT FAST!

Goddamn it, that was hurting! Currents of enormous powers were channeled through my body from the glowing Venus Tear and it was fluctuating, hard. Fading in and out of existence what made it even harder to set up a good defense or strike effectively. I had tried to cast magic but that was no good at all. All what I had to rely on was the transformed crystal that I didn't even fully understand myself. Not a very reassuring thought.

Another clinging noise accompanied by the familiar sound of discharging electricity and another jolt rocked through my body, stunning me almost. I gritted my teeth and pressed back, twisting my weapon in an attempt to disarm my opponent but he yanked my weapon down with his and a sharp pain traveled up my arm. The first I really felt what it was like to be wielding such a powerful weapon like the Crystal of the Weeping Unicorn. Damn, that stung and that pain. I had to hold out, had to win, had to save Hotaru…

I cried out in mind-blazing pain as a lightning bolt crashed right into my sight. Trying to clamp down on the pain, I grabbed the crystal blades almost painfully hard. The Tear flickered, violently. Stay focused. Your emotions only. Your positive ones, ignore the pain. Again the Tear flickered, dimming. No, no, not now, not yet! And blinked out completely, simply vanishing. And with that the last light faded out from the dimension.

A cracking sound. It sounded almost like a shackle bursting and it came from behind me but how… Another hot wave of pain shot through me as I was hit again, this time in the stomach. I stumbled backwards and fell to the ground, hard. How can you fall, especially hard, in a void? "I really don't want to do this," Adonis voice rang out and threw the dancing lights in front of me I could make out that his eyes were… gleaming? Like pools of pitch-black darkness. Nothingness. "But since you're so stubborn, I think I do you a favor." His voice was monotone, as he began to walk slowly towards my broken form, the blade in his eyes emitting a low hum.

There, another crack! What was that? Never mind that now. Desperately I tried to reach back into subspace and retrieve the Venus Tear, straining myself to the very end of my reserves. It was no use. The light of the ancient artifact was gone, refused to answer my call. The darkness… nothingness around it was impenetrable. What could I do? What should I do? I couldn't give her up here! Hotaru, she needed me, she was relying on me, BELIEVING in me. I could NOT fail her! But I did, didn't I. I had tried everything, every trick, every maneuver I and Priapos had worked on it training. Adonis had met them all with a skill that betrayed everything what was possible.

Another crack. What the hell was going on there? I couldn't look back, my eyes were glued on the approaching form of the crazed man, I had once, a long, long time ago called a friend, a fellow Venusian. But now, now I only hated him. Weak, obsessed, controlled again and again. And he had hurt my mate. I couldn't let him go away with that, right? No way… but what could I do? There was nothing I could do. I failed, failed in the only battle that ever had a true purpose, a demanding purpose… for myself.

"Since you decided to waste your life, instead of changing it, I will free you now from your bonds, from your mission." I could make out something… A shadow? A looming shape of a person? A cape? Two gleaming eyes blazed in the nothingness around us and so did Adonis in return. Kuso, he really was possessed. I didn't pity him of course. In that situation that was one life I was willing to take. For Hotaru's sake. And maybe, just maybe a little bit for myself, Hebe strongly included. I was willing but I lacked the ability… How ironic.

Energy crackled as Adonis raised his blade, the tip flashing with energy. I tried to push myself up in a feeble attempt of avoiding the inevitable. "Hotaru," I whispered quietly, closing my eyes in defeat. "Gomen nasei…" The sound of discharge again, the air loaded heavily with energy moving fast. But there, there was another crack. The fourth one… I waited for the final blow to strike, to end it all. I had known that I might die, that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But I had been prepared for this, dying for Hotaru seemed a good thought. I just wished I would have taken him with me at least, so that Hotaru could be free. Kuso.

I waited for the impact, waited, waited… and waited. Silence. An almost comforting silence. Then there was a soft, yet still chilling whisper. *Enough of this.* And like a bonfire I felt a presence literally explode behind me. My eyes snapped open and my head whipped around, staring in wide-eyed, open-mouthed wonder at the scene unfolding. My precious Firefly was… GLOWING! Her hands now to the side, completely free of any bondage. Her body was rigid, the head thrown back. And there was so much ENERGY! There was an inhuman piercing scream as something emerged from my mates form, a shadow of some sorts, and vanished with an agonized howl.

However, I did not pay attention to that. Hotaru's hair was whipped back and with a blinding suddenness of a flashlight turned on in the darkness, a symbol blinked into existence. A familiar symbol, a familiar, astrological symbol. A symbol that froze me to the spot and that made Hebe scream bloody murder inside of me. The symbol of the last Senshi. The forbidden one, the one that brought the end and the beginning. The symbol of Saturn… AND IT WAS ON HOTARU! "No," I shook my head violently, as if the motion would ward of the image and the implications. Hebe had quieted down and was now stunned into disbelieving silence. "Oh, Serenity, please no…"

The violet energy surrounding Hotaru by now was like a cocoon, a swirling mess of destructive force. And with one last flash it burst, revealing the person that I dreaded, reality gripping my heart in its icy grip. The long, gleaming and not only deadly but destructive glaive in one hand, the unmistakable white-violet fuku, the cold, unfazed eyes that could make a mountain shiver. The Senshi of Saturn in all her glory… and… with a smile?

(Artemis)

"I was afraid of that." I felt Minako's eyes on me, hard, but I didn't care at the moment. They would linger there only for a moment anyway before retreating to the form of her girlfriend, now in all her reawakened Senshi glory. Sailorsaturn, the Senshi of Silence under the protection of the forbidden planet of destruction. The one that even the greatest evil feared and the highest good dreaded because she was… The Silent Messiah. That's what the Senshi from the ring planet had been baptized with.

There was a distinct pattern to her work, a cruel and inhuman pattern actually - but one that the majority seemed to find necessary. I could not really speak against it. If Evil ever gained the upper hand in the endless struggles against Good and there was no chance to reclaim peace again, then She was to awaken. She was the ultimate weapon, gifted by powers far beyond understanding and nobody really know from what they originated. Sailorsaturn was a mystery… No, not a mystery, more like the very symbol of the ultimate judge. The one who everyone had to answer sooner or later, the Black Man, the Grim Reaper, Death… What ever you wanted to call him/her. That's what Saturn was and ever will be, in her case its just the universe she judges.

Okay, not really judging, since she is on the side of Good. Her task was to reset what had been stained, cleanse what had been darkened with evil. A new cycle of life. Death and Rebirth. An end for a new beginning. And Sailorsaturn always only did it once. When she was awakened… Like now… Right? So… why was she smiling and why were we still alive?

I wondered, if Hotaru in her desperation might have called out deliberately to the Senshi of Silence, that she had somehow asked for her help. As ridiculous as this sounds, I did have had the feeling that this might happen. After all there was - HAD BEEN - a demon residing in young Hotaru's body and as much as it concerned a sleeping Senshi's presence, that must have been awfully unsettling, to say the least. I'm sure Saturn was not happy about it and all to eager to help out.

Yet, the most powerful Senshi was not one to simply trust to just act because she was uncomfortable. For what I knew, she could have slept on in Hotaru, as if she had no care in the world. Her mission was to awaken at the appropriate time, what should she care about her reincarnated self? She could rip the demon apart then she decided to emerge finally, when she was called. So why did Sailorsaturn care now. This, as grim as the situation looked, was not the grand final setting on the door to oblivion as the downfall of the Silver Millennium had been. Hardly.

Then that left only one possibility I had talked about with Priapos already. Saturn felt obligated to the Senshi bond. I could simply find no other possibility and I didn't even wanted to think of another. If Saturn was here to destroy everything, that she was awakened by accident and actually thought her time had come… The thought gave me a shudder and let my hair stand up… As if the air around wasn't enough all of a sudden. Deadly cold, chilling, silent.

The transformation had ended finally - or should I say already? The tiara faded back in, covering the glowing sign of Saturn, the Silence Glaive touched the ground, making no noise at all and it's wielder followed, as soundless as the weapon. And the smile was still there. What the heck was she smiling at? Saturn didn't SMILE! It was unnerving really and then her eyes focused, cleared of the pools of power, I shivered under the critical, yet so indifferent gaze she swept over us. Then her eyes settled on Adonis, they hardened. And somehow, somehow I knew that we would survive this whole mess.

(Saturn/Rhea)

Power. Building power. An awareness I had not felt in ages, eyes opening for the very first time since the reincarnation to the reality outside. My own eyes now, I mean, sort of anyway. Ripples of energy crawled over my body, cleansing the skin below and giving my host a complete healing of any aftereffects or manipulations Tomoe Souichi had done to it. A complete new life. And for the first time in millennia I lived.

Floating down to the ground gently I noted in dismay that my first touch with reality was in a non-reality of some sort. I could not quite say where but it was somewhat familiar. And it was lifeless. Well, that was actually perfect. I felt myself smiling at the thought. I just had to be careful with myself, my… mate and her partner. Nobody else, nothing to worry about. Whoever created this had given me a good opportunity he wasn't even aware of. Of course I knew who had caused it. I was more concerned about the powers behind the foolish Venusian.

My eyes drifted through the void brushing quickly over the Mau cat glancing at me with something akin to understanding. Yes, I think he understood… something. Not everything. I saw the mixed emotions cleared played upon his small face. I continued smiling and it made me almost giggle at how much it made him nuts. Almost.

Then my eyes fell on Venus and were locked in place for an endless moment. Granted I had not been particular happy about the choice my host had made. It was… awkward. Everything was so different, so unexpected. I had come here by request but I still didn't really know what I was to do here What was my place, my mission? There did I fit into this whole situation? Surely, not because I should reset everything again, what would be the purpose to include me in a rebirth cycle then? Maybe I was actually here to… help.

The thought was strangely comforting. For a long time, I had only known the lonely planet that was my resting place. The forbidden paradise that lay behind what the eye could see. All alone, only for one single purpose in my life. Death. Ironically it really was and as I shifted my hold on the Silence Glaive, I felt the heavy weight of a cruel and unfulfilled fate resting hard upon my shoulders. Oh, how I had wished to live, how I had wished to go out and live. Like the others did, like all of them did. All except me. I was kept away, locked away, not allowed to go. I had a duty but it was a prison actually. Even Pluto did have it better than me.

As my eyes met Venus', absent of any particular differences between Hebe and her host at the moment, my eyes softened. She had made Tomoe Hotaru happy and Hotaru had made her happy. Simple as it is, it was so much more worth. Especially to me. We were the same person after all. Even if Hotaru didn't know it, even while I slept on and wasn't really aware of anything, that had stirred me. Their happiness. And it made me smile thinking about all the sweet moments - and the intense ones, that I had unintentionally briefly shared. Hotaru was happy, Hotaru was me and she LIVED!

Still. Duty first.

The moment passed as my gaze swung to the last figure in the room. The tainted figure. The enemy. What a pitiful excuse of a minion and a minion he was, no doubt. There were much greater powers at work here that were yet to reveal themselves but by concept of fate weren't my responsible. Not at the moment anyway. My eyes hardened and I noted grim satisfaction when the little peasant called Adonis made a step back under my famous death glare. I had enough time to work after all, millennia spent on a lone planet. I moved my deadly weapon ever so slightly and Adonis shuddered. "That, that can't be…" he whispered, his voice laced with terror, as if he stared the devil in person in the eye. Well, in his case he probably would have welcomed that.

"Rhea." I blinked - something I didn't do in a VERY long time - at the tiny, shaken voice and then I turned my head back to Venus, I saw now beyond doubt Hebe's eyes looking back at me. Uncertain, scared a little - or maybe a hell lot of it - unbelieving, shaky… I could not blame her. "It has been a long time," I mused with a distinct undertone of emotion that I allowed myself. Yes, it had been a long time. A long time since my calling. A day full of honor and yet the beginning of a half-self-chosen exile. The other Senshi had been there. It had been the only time that I saw them. But I remembered… I remembered the face of young Hebe, her face outraged and definitely affronted by the idea of supporting my fate. But she didn't have a chance back then, did she? No, not really. It had all been written down in stone. It was moving nonetheless and just the thought I was not just some sort of too powerful criminal who needs to be locked away, had given me some resolve to follow my calling with less dreading. It didn't help though. But what would you expect after a millennia?

"Yes…" Hebe's whisper brought me back to reality. "Yes, it has…" Without really noticing I had crossed the distance between us and laid one hand on her shoulder, healing magic traveling over her crumbled form, as she stared up with wide, unblinking eyes. I could really not hold my host's choice against her. And it would be too late anyway. Truth to be told, I couldn't have cut the bond, even if I wanted too.

I tried to look reassuringly. It is hard I tell you, after such a long time as the Senshi of Silence, the emotional cold bringer of the end, it was hard to show emotion and do it right. "Don't be afraid. I might not be… pleased with all this but… I have to value the bond. My time has not yet come... and it will never come again like you remember it." She opened her mouth to say something but no sound came out, as I turned around again.

Yeah, it was not my time yet. It was Hotaru's life, her happiness. And now with the demon gone, she could live it. I was not ready yet. There was still time left and I had to wait. Until then, I could only be happy for them. Happiness. A strange feeling. Almost alien to me, maybe it was alien to me. What happiness did I have known as my existence as Princess Rhea? Not much. My childhood ended early, too early, and even that was filled with lessons to prepare me for my duty. The duty only I could carry out, because I was chosen. I was not allowed to be happy.

Yes, I was melancholic here. It wasn't like I totally hated it. I knew the reason behind this actions, I understood them even, feeling the power I could command with a single thought, coursing through my body. Such power should never be lifted onto ones shoulders. Yet it was and the one was me. Me alone, Rhea, Sailorsaturn. Tomoe Hotaru should not be burdened with it. The child was still young, had her live before her. Especially now, since she was free. Life, freedom. Yes, in a little while, I would be sharing this with her, lessening the burden a bit.

All that shot through my head as I turned around to face the actual crux of the problem again. Yeah, well, I snorted, what a problem he presents. That was then something shot passed me and I had no time to bring my shield back up. A sharp outcry of pain. Hebe's voice. "I have enough of this! You can't hurt me! Don't you all realize that you are all prisoners of yourself? I will not let it end this way again!" Adonis voice rang out over the void area, shaking, on the verge of madness. I froze in my tracks, staring at the seconds before freshly healed and now sprawled out form of the other Senshi on the ground.

Then, very, very slow, I turned back to the source of the attack. An unfamiliar sense of unyielding, piercing cold anger rose in me, as I felt the pain of Venus, as if it was mine. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the bond. I was the active one now, so it bounded me and Venus. "That," I spoke quietly but my voice clear like ice and sharp like a knife, "was a pathetic mistake." And Adonis WAS terrified under my cold, accusing gaze. Even clouded by darkness, yielded too almost maddening obsession, his survival instincts were still intact. And the Venusian knew perfectly well that his life had just been judged. Death sentence.

Bringing the Silence Glaive in front of me, I heard the sharp intakes of breath behind me, both from a hard briefing Venus as well as her guardian cat. Frantically Adonis tried to stop me. Bolt after bolt of negative energy bounced of my form or was drawn right into the tip of the glaive that had started to glow in a bright dark light. Attack after attack was flung at me but I could not been hurt. Not by the destructiveness of the power, that was my element too. I felt the odd presence behind the void slowly retreating and Adonis actions weakening in response but not ceasing. "Pathetic."

I smiled again, an icy smile. "You have wronged my host and tried to shatter her bond with the Senshi of Venus. That was a great mistake, fool. You've called for your own downfall, from the beginning wandering a path not suited, not meant for you. You were blind and refused to see the truth. Now, this has gone too far. Meet your fate." I could almost feel the other two behind me shivering and Adonis… Well, he stood there stock-still, a look of dawning realization creeping into his face, for a brief moment pushing the insanity away. The look of a man scared for his life. And he had every reason to be.

Ribbons of darkness - shadows, not the non-substance around us - began to pour out from the Silence Glaive, gathering around the ancient weapon, as I sharpened my concentration, carefully manipulating my given power for the intended task. I rarely ever had to control much before, just set it right, so that there was actually something left for rebirth. However, this time, this time I would use my power for something else than my duty. For my personal duty, to myself. For the obligation I earned Tome Hotaru.

If I did this right - and I would do it right - then she at least could live a few years of peace, relishing in her love, in a strange relationship with my mutual counterpart. I wondered briefly, if that was fate's way of apologizing for the millennia of loneliness. Maybe it was. And I could grew to love it. But not now. Not yet. Now it was Tomoe Hotaru's time for awhile, free of any demons, free of physical health problems. She could live and I would wait. Because it made me happy, when she was happy. We were one. It was time to give her her life back. It was nice as long as it lasted.

"DEATH REBORN REVOLUTION!" And the Silence Glaive went down…

Somewhere in the labyrinth of corridors two figures stopped in their running, blinded and pushed back by the explosion of energy bursting through the whole base, making it impossible to see or feel anything.

(…)

Miles away, back home in Tokyo, a girl with brown hair tied into the ponytail stopped her late-night cooking for a moment, then glanced out at the sky and shivered. Nearby a blue-haired student put down her pencil and rubbed at her studies, shivering as well. In a temple not far away a raven-haired miko shrank back as her late fire reading had an unexpected result. The Sacred Fire had gone out.

(…)

And in a house of a seemingly normal family, a blonde girl jerked slightly in her sleep and the black cat with the Crescent Moon on her forehead looked up sharply, her eyes widening slightly. After awhile she frowned. "What the heck was that?" Puzzled and thinking what her friend had gotten himself into back in England, she lay back down, now deeply troubled. Neither of the two room occupants noticed the faint glowing of a Crescent Moon insignia on the girl's forehead.

(Venus)

White. Everything went wide and… silent.

I blinked my eyes dizzily, trying to regain my bearings. An additional attempt of pushing myself up was delayed when I winced from numbing pain. Gah, I felt like I've rode right through the hell. The special tour with the very special torments. What the heck happened? I tried to work my way through the haziness of my mind, while my vision slowly returned. I was in the middle of rubble, ruins actual. The wind was heavy and tore relentless through my shredded fuku… There I could make out a small figure, dark hair, pale skin… Hotaru! The damn of dizziness cracked open and all the memories flowed back striking like many tiny hammer blows, turning into a crescendo of conflicting thoughts and emotions. Hotaru. Kidnapped. Facing Adonis. Losing. Saturn… Oh, Serenity, what were you thinking? Hotaru WAS Sailorsaturn!

A groan alerted me that I had better set aside this disturbing thought and tend to my mate. Whether or not she was the most powerful Senshi that ever walked Earth… or the universe for that matter. Gritting my teeth, I slowly crawled over, my hands getting scraped by the rubble - did the base actually blow up? Kuso, this last blast from Adonis had nearly killed me. I think, all in all we should be really, REALLY glad that we were still alive… And that the planet still existed.

I shook my head, trying to shake off thoughts of the alter ego of my girlfriend wielding the gleaming Silence Glaive, inflicting destruction with three words and one motion. It was no good, I just couldn't get that image out of my head and I was sure it would stay burned there for the rest of my life. I passed Artemis on my way and spared him a glance but he seemed to be okay. Lucky cat, didn't get hurt at all. Just unconscious. I crawled further down until I reached the fragile looking form of my lover, my soul mate, my one and everything, who just about now opened her eyes.

I drew in a sharp breath, trying desperately to ward of the images of Saturn replaying themselves again and again. I could not let her see me scared. Scared of her. Scared didn't even described it… But let's not go there. Couldn't let her see… That is, if she was still Hotaru. Or had Saturn taken over permanently? That was what I was worried about when blue orbs met deep violet ones. Confused, somewhat frightened, eyes of someone who just lived through and survived a kidnapping by her lover's obsessed suitor - I was not in the least bit sorry about what Saturn had done to him without remorse. However, that wasn't Saturn, that was sweet, little Hotaru. And she looked like she might break every moment at the sight of me.

"Minako?" Her voice sounded weak, faint and scared. I reached out with a tentative hand, resisting my urge to tremble, and brushed through her dark hair. "I'm here, Raven. I'm here…" As if a dam broke somewhere inside of her, she let out a great sob of relieve, fright and other mingling emotions, burying her head in my chest. I winced a little but ignored the slight burn of pain riding roller coaster in my system and simply stroke her hair, afraid despite everything, despite Saturn to ever let her go. Never again. She would never again endure such a thing. That I swore to myself even before I heard her mumble: "What happened, Mina-chan… I… I don't remember…"

She looked up at me and again I felt my emotions go in dizzying circles, as I tried to shut out the memory of Saturn under the inquiring gaze of this frightened and confused eyes of my mate. I knew I was doing a miserable job of it, when her expression changed to utterly terrified. "I… I didn't to anything bad, did I? Oh, kami, please tell me nothing happened that…" I cut her off the only way I knew would work. I kissed her.

Relishing in the feel of lip contact, the familiar rush of reviving energy - physically as well as mentally - all those troubles were suddenly washed away. I had my Hotaru back. It didn't matter, if she was Sailorsaturn as long as she didn't destroy everything. At least after this incident I knew for certain, but I also knew for certain that the now sleeping Senshi would surely protect my mate… Never mind the fact that I was effectively bonded TO Sailorsaturn… No, that really didn't matter right now. I had my Hotaru back, that was all that counted.

"Nothing is wrong, Little Firefly, nothing happened, nothing…" I whispered softly and held her tightly, never mind the protest of my body as we sat there for a long moment. I looked sideways as I sensed Artemis next to me and gave him an inquiring look. I had not forgotten that he had apparently known about the sleeping Saturn but I really didn't feel like arguing right now. The white cat just shook his head tiredly. He had at least the grace to look apologetically.

"Really, Hebe, did you have to blow up the whole building?" Priapos clear voice rang through the air in a playfully chiding manner as she flattered into view. I scowled at her but couldn't suppress a small smile as I looked down at Hotaru's form who had slipped away into mild unconsciousness again. Not me, Pria, not me. The elf was silent after catching my look. I guess she knew too then, given the startled look on her face.

After a while of silence, I felt her hand on my shoulder and looked up to her. Priapos face was soft and compassionate. "Let's go home. We heard sirens in the distance." And with a great of effort she helped Hotaru and me up, as we limped away from a place that would forever be stuck in our memory as a place of great distress, alarming revelations and the beginning of a new, stony road. A beginning with no predictable end.

THE END… of the beginning

Epilogue

(From the diary of Tomoe Hotaru)

I cannot tell you how good it feels to finally be OUT again! To see the light, fresh air. Heck, I could have danced in the usual British rain for all I cared, if Minako hadn't sternly scolded me for it. She is awfully protective of late but I guess that is only normal after what happened and I find myself rather enjoying the attention. Although she becomes awfully quiet every time conversation only scratches the topic Adonis and what happened at the base. my girlfriend told me that he has been taken care of. I should not worry. But she never said, it was by her doing. And somehow I doubt it.

I could not tell why but I feel that I have at least something to do with it. The last thing I remember was fending of Adonis advances and then… calling out to someone, a plea… As hard as I tried I could not penetrate the hazes of memory and I am not really sure, if I really want to. There is something important I forgot, I am sure of it, a face, two actually, a place somewhere else, not on Earth. That's about everything and it doesn't make sense. Not much anyway.

However, I feel at peace now, the demon is gone. Not sleeping, not calmed by the pendant I'm still wearing although I doubt I need it anymore. The dark, omniscient presence is finally gone. And I feel strangely free. There is still something in there but the other presence, I have always felt more at ease with her, like she is a part of me. Maybe it has something to do with what happened back at the base. Maybe… But as I said I am better of not knowing, I guess. I will worry Minako less with that.

The remaining time of our vacation slowly draws to an end but we have used the last weeks well. Kicking back and simply relaxing. No, Youma anymore, no fighting, no kidnapping, just us. And Priapos and Kathryn and Artemis. That was acceptable though, rather fun actually. The elf and I seemed to have simply jumped over the awkward state and instantly gone to liking each other. All in all it has been a very relaxing time.

Even when we soon return home and I look back on it, all the hardships, the days of isolation and torment, I look at some quite exciting times. Times that were not really easy and simply relaxing but that still count as the best times in my young life so far. I have reached a turning point. My life has finally found a purpose. I have found unyielding love in Minako and I could not, would not trade this for anything, even if it meant canceling out the time in Adonis' grasp. We are save now and that is all that matters. Us. Together. Both of us standing on the start of a path leading to our new, united life. A future surely to be looked forward to.

I can only say that I am a very happy, teenage girl at the moment. Just like it should be.

Yours

Hotaru

(From the diary of Aino Minako)

Then I actually allow myself to think back on the events of this dark day, I have the distant idea that Saturn… Rhea was… is lonely. There was this look in her eyes, that all too familiar emotion, I have known for so long.

Loneliness has been a constant companion. Even then I was with the girls, even then I outwardly seemed to be the chipper, happy girl. Inside I always had been lonely. HAD BEEN. Not anymore. To think it all began on a rainy day in a lonely alley with a maybe, maybe fated meeting of two souls tormented by the ways of life… It is quite amusing actually how things have turned out. As the old saying goes… Takes one, to know one, right? Two lonely souls without purpose had found each other that day and created a shared purpose, themselves.

That is why I keep thinking back to that lonely eyes barely visible behind the stoic mask of the Senshi of Silence. Somehow it reassures me to see that mark of humanity. Although it saddens me somewhat because the expression was so damned familiar. Well, I intent on making Hotaru happy and so I would grant Rhea the same pleasure, right? Hebe is awfully quiet then inquired about her own feelings about the other Senshi. I think she pities her, has pitied her… whatever. Anyway, the thought of Saturn being a part of my sweet girlfriend becomes almost bearable like this, almost.

The time has come at last. Summer break was coming to an end and we have to head home. I will really miss the little city here, especially the bungalow with the lake setting. And I will definitely miss Hotaru beside me in bed… That will probably prove the hardest part. But we will manage somehow. After all, it was not, as if we were out of touch. And there are the weekends and the sleepovers. Can absolutely not forget about them.

Priapos has decided to head home. To Venus. She wants to go and look, if maybe someone survived the Millennium's fall, some subspace pockets maybe. I would be glad myself, though I doubt it. However, you are allowed to hope right? We, being Artemis, Priapos and me, decided - swore - to keep quiet about the peculiar details of what had transpired in the few weeks here. It would not to any good for anyone's presence of mind that my girlfriend is Sailorsaturn. Not for Luna, who would probably throw a fit, and especially not for Hotaru herself.

Not to forget the others. We are sure this was just the beginning and that the crisis is yet to actually begin. The disk has revealed some rather disturbing details and it is a question of time when the Sailorsenshi would be needed again to defend the world. After all that is our job. In due time the others would be needed to awaken and our eternal battle of Good against Evil would begin anew.

Until then I plan on spending enough time living, enjoying Hotaru's presence at my side, as much as possible.

Love,

Minako

Somewhere in the ruins of a previously still at least intact if widely unused military base, the form of a black shadow could be seen rising slowly. A low chilly laugh rung through the air and it vanished.

(…)

The scene shifts to a dark space. A void with only one occupant. A young, teenaged girl with long brown hair, once upon a time known by the name of Tomoe Megumi. The shadow reappeared in front of the girl, hovered there for awhile, then chuckled evilly.

END Of PRELUDE, BEGIN OF MAIN STORY

Well, that was it. The whole, terrific story. Although I didn't allow myself to think about it at this time, I was a bit sorry about Adonis, only a bit. He was blinded like so many others and only partially understood what he was doing there. The Adonis I had known from my childhood as Hebe would have been outraged over what he did later.

All in all, it was like we described it in our finishing entries. We had stepped onto a new path, together. A path leading to a better future and a lot of adventures ahead. But those will be handled in the main section.

Ja, yours

Minako and Hotaru

Author's Notes

*pant* I. Am. Finished. Phew, at least over ten, probably close to fifteen pages on the weekend. I wanted to finish this and well, I did! *smiles gleefully* Satisfied? Happy? I am. You too? Honestly that whole thing was a lot of fun and really got my lately rather lazy butt in gear to seriously stay focused on a series.

Now there are some things to clear up. First of all the time space since the accident. Yes, I know I wrote it in the time cheat that it was when Hotaru is around five. That is wrong though, since there is a definite age in the Manga. Which is eight. So Hotaru was eight years then and that makes it about six years from her age at this point. I hope I didn't make too much false references in the last chapter, if any, when I find them I clear them up.

Tomoe Keiko und Megumi. It is rumored that Hotaru had a sister. This is partially built on the Anime again, where it is said that only Souichi and his "oldest" daughter survived. There is no such reference in the Manga. But there is a reference to Keiko, at least her name.

I apologize for the rather bad picture, I gave Adonis in this part from Minako's point of view. But really, would you care a damn that the guy might have some good in him, when he held your lover captive and tormented her? I doubt so. Frankly, I think my portrait of Venus in this regard was realistic. She just didn't care.

If you're wondering what my strong references to heart and will were about. Well… That might be to a point influenced by MKR (Magic Knight Rayearth). I just received the DVDs a few weeks ago from eBay (Original with English subtitles) and might have been a little too much on the trip… I thought it suitable for Venus and the Tear in this regard and believe me, any reference was rather unintentionally.

There are a few mysteries, I don't want to talk about right now since they will play a major role in the upcoming rewrite. I think you all somewhat recognized most of the clues and hints. Not that Mistress 9 was a hint… You will see sooner or later what this is all about and how our two lovers and the other Senshi will fare in their battle for peace.

I think, that was all for this chapter and for this fic. As I said, it was fun and I surely am not bored yet of this project. I don't know when I start with the R-series but you'll see, just watch out for it. At the moment I'm having my hands on a MKR fic (with Hikaru/Umi). Watch out for "Troubled Hearts" soon.

Write me, I really appreciate any constructive feedback and if you got hook up on the couple, please, pretty please join my group (addresses above). We are so few.

At last, I want to dedicate this fic (all parts included) to my trusted beta-reader Athenia, who sadly will be off to college shortly and won't have time to beta anymore for me. I always appreciated your efforts, Athenia, and I think it actually helped over a few standard mistakes. I'll miss you.

Ja ne, yours

Matthias

The 1st Generation, Sailor V©2002 by Matthias Engel