Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ (The 1st Generation) Sailor V ❯ Vol.5 - From Soft Love to Passion ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: (1st Generation) Sailor V, Vol.5 - From Soft Love to Passion

Author: Matthias aka MysticMew

Email: Minaru@gmx.de

Beta-reader: Athenia (earthwing@comcast.net)

Rating: PG-13, with some more mature situations (bordering on R)

Pairing: Minako/Hotaru

Timeline: After Season 1; Prelude story arc to The 1st Generation. How Minako and Hotaru got together.

Summary: Minako is back in England, her memories have been triggered and Sailor V is born again when Youma show their ugly face.

Distribution: Starsinlove-group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starsinlove/), MAC (www.catstrio.de) www.fanfiction.net, ASMR (www.moonromance.com), anyone else you can have it but please ask first, 'kay?

Summary: Minako and Hotaru have acknowledged the love between them but will it hold? And what are those mysterious Youma seeking and how will the answer to this affect the new, still fragile relationship?

Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon/Sailor V belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, Toei and Kodansha

Story Disclaimer: Copyright©2002 by Matthias Engel

(1st Generation) Sailor V, Vol. 5 - From Slow Love to Passion by Matthias

based on the works of Naoko Takeuchi

Senshi Diary Codename: Crescent, access only by registered and acknowledged members of the Royal Court.

Scan activated

Scan positive

Recognition: Senshi Saturn

Login: Private Journals

Receivers: Past Venus and Saturn

Konnichi wa, you two!

Well, this time I'm typing… Ok, not so much typing than scanning all this diary entries. This issue will be told in a combination of diary entries and personal views (embedded in the diaries) from Minako and me. We found this most fitting since, ironically, both of us seemed to revert to writing down our thoughts and feelings after this night. Maybe it was a way of dealing with the whole unexpected situation, I don't know…

Anyway, I must apologize that Venus left you hanging at the end of the first issue. However, knowing you're a lot like my Minako, I guess you couldn't wait tearing open the next file. J Ok, I'll stop babbling now… Geez, normally Minako is the talkative one of us two…

(From the diary of Aino Minako)

Dear Diary… Does everyone always start like this… Ugh, that sounds… dumb. I mean the diary isn't a person, right? It's not like I'm writing a letter or something and even if, I don't think, I would like to always start a letter like this, it's… too normal. Otherwise what else is there to begin with. "Konnichi wa, minna"… Nah, I don't even know if anyone will ever read this and I like my thoughts to be private, even if I am a rather open person. After all, that's the purpose of a diary. A personal… personal… something. At least something personal, that nobody else should know or see, just for me… Why am I writing this then? To amuse myself? I could think of many other things that would do the job better.

To organize my thoughts? Yeah, maybe… It got pretty confusing in the last weeks and last night was definitely the weirdest event of all. So, I think, that's why I'm writing this. If I would not force myself to sit down here and write all this, I guess I would get to think about it. I'm just glad Ami doesn't see this, she'd probably think I want to try working more for school next.

I'm getting ahead of myself and did already fill a lot of lines without even beginning the purpose of why I began writing a diary. So, I'll get to this now. Normally I would go and begin this with a repeat of things that had lead to last night, but then I probably have to tell you my whole life story to whoever reads this later on. So I'll skip that and get down to the morning after that night that had truly changed my life in all its aspects.

When I awoke that night from one of the occasional Senshi dreams about the Silver Millennium, I had been disorientated and emotionally distraught from this particular experience of Hebe's memories and so, I wasn't at all prepared for Hotaru's advances. Advances? I don't even know if they were meant as such. One thing simply led to another and before we really realized where it was going, it was already happening. As an afterthought, I think it was better that way and as rushed as it seemed, we might have never come to what we have now if we had stopped and thought about our actions. I'll try to tell you this now as accurate and realistic as possible. I might do that a lot of times later on so don't get confused. This is what happened when I awoke after a night of - for lack of better words… mind-blowing physical interaction. (Now don't get any ideas, ok?)

When the first beams of morning sunlight - morning sunlight near London! - pierced through the curtains and illuminated the figures of the two girls and one cat in the one small bed, while the other one was prepared but unused, I was already awake. I had been awake for a few minutes already… If I thought about it, it might have come closely to half an hour. Silently and with a content smile, I watched the peacefully sleeping figure in my arms, occasional brushing some stray hair out of her face and tracing the soft, sweet features with one finger, always careful to not wake the little raven.

While I sat and memorized each curve and hair of my new… lover, I thought back to the previous night and could not help to smile even more with honest, open joy and bliss. When the kissing was good, I tell you the more physical expression of feelings was incredible beyond humanly imaginable. I was just glad that the bungalows were all quite a distant away from each other, otherwise people might have complained about the noise.

Why I had so willingly let Hotaru - to put it simply - have her way with me? There had been many factors. One was the extreme edginess after battles, it was sometimes like a rush and created an physical awareness that was hard to calm and often manifested in troubled, unsteady sleep - in the best of cases. Even though Artemis despised the expression, I came to think of it as "Senshi lust". Normally, I would be able to suppress it, the Kami knows I did it before. But with Hotaru, it was unlike as with any of the others. With Allen, I had been too young, and most of the in-between crushes didn't really count. Hiroshi, for him I might have given in someday, but it never came to it because he pushed to quick. Hotaru though didn't solely want it, instead the base of her intentions were pure and of pure concern for me. And her instincts had told her the best way to comfort me at this moment was to take the pain the dream had created away in that manner.

Another reason was that after the dream, I truly didn't care anymore about restrictions and holding back. Through the short time we had been together, I had felt so warm and secure that I truly could not resist the pull anymore. The signals all my senses as the Senshi of Love gave me, indicated that this girl, as mysterious she might be, was probably my only real chance for love, a love that Kunzite had hoped for me to someday find and that Adonis, in his jealousy, predicted me to never find. True love. With the exception of Kunzite, I had never felt so connected to someone and when Hotaru presented me with the option to deepen our quickly progressing relationship, when she showed me that she held all these feelings deep inside of her too, then I wasn't able anymore to resist.

Too deeply into the act, nobody had thought much about consequences. Even if Hotaru was almost a year younger than me she should not have the physical requirements for the act. However, I had discovered quickly that this was a false assumption. The firefly had been astonishingly capable for her young age. We didn't consider the fact that neither of us had ever done this before, especially not with another girl, and just acted on instinct alone… With very potential results, mind you. In the end, none of us had thought about rushing things, about the consequences and hardships behind and ahead of us. To put it in simple words, too simple to describe the act and still all so true, we had MADE love.

"Morning, Artemis." I didn't look up. For some reason, that probably had to do with him being a cat - his time sense almost always let him wake up about the same time. Which didn't help his laziness of course. And on the rare occasions where I was awake at that time, I could probably set the clock after his waking pattern. I was surprised though to not hear the usual morning grumpiness that was also a distinct part of the pattern and looked up from my "Hotaru study" to meet a totally baffled look in my partner's smaller face, staring at me - at the two of us - with a mixture of intensity and blankness. I had totally forgotten that Artemis, who by the way was still on the otherwise unused bed, had actually snored through the whole cries and pleas, not to forget the - to say it with his words "creepy energy that let the hair stand in all directions". We had been too busy to really notice, but from a few glimpses I had caught of him during the whole interaction, I knew from experience that World War III could have broken loose and he wouldn't have woken up.

Slowly Artemis blinked twice, then a third time and just heaved a very heavy sigh with a meaning I could not identify as either relief, frustration, annoyance or resentment. The change in his eyes though told me that he wasn't fully pleased with what had obviously transpired last night. He had gotten up, trotting over to us, jumping carefully on the bed to not wake Hotaru and rewarded me with a stern glance which I knew all too well. I lifted an eyebrow quizzically. "You just said no kissing. I can't do anything about it, if it's part of the game." Artemis did a double-take, blinked again, then blanched and shook his head with another sigh of resignation.

"You really think she is dangerous, huh?" I asked chidingly, not about to drop the matter. I wasn't in any need to have my mood subdued, but knew that this conversation was fated to happen anyway after the events with the Youma yesterday. My gaze was met with one of stern and worry. For some reason, I believed that he had a distant idea about Hotaru's unusual prowess. Freezing a Youma as strong as the one yesterday simply in place was nothing either me or the other Senshi would have been capable of and the feel of the aura still send shivers down my spine - I could not ignore that. I was worried about Hotaru's well-being and if there was anything I should know, I wanted to know it. "As much as I want to be happy for you, I do fear her, yes. Not the person she is but the person she might become. You are wandering a small path and if she is really S… Who I think she is, then it might be the path into oblivion… not only for you."

I wanted to ask him what he meant by this and especially who he thought my sweet firefly could turn into causing such a menace, but a soft moan made me withhold that question. Instead I looked down to see Hotaru stirring slightly until her eyes slowly fluttered open to be greeted by a warm smile and a short but tender kiss, both willingly provided by me. Gently, I bent my head down until I had captured her lips with mine in a tender kiss which lasted close to half a minute. Hotaru sighed softly. "I want to wake up like this every morning." A mischievous smile crept into my face. "I'm sure we can arrange that, at least as long as we are here." With a suspicious look, I turned towards Artemis but was met once again with an expression of surprise.

"What now?" I demanded annoyed. Artemis shook his head slightly and rubbed his forehead with one paw. "I didn't feel anything," he replied, as if it was a great mystery and something that he was really worried about. "You didn't… Oh, oh that." He was referring to the energy. "I still think it is a wonder that we didn't send you up to the ruins of the Moon last night, but I think somewhere during last night we came to understand the energy a bit better. And through the… joining, I think it is more concentrated and inwardly than before. So… No more wigging, Artemis, you should be happy."

"I don't know if I can be happy about this." With an audible groan, he jumped down from the bed and trotted in the directed of the door. "What's done is done. Since I assume your… activities recharged both of you there is no need for resting. Instead, we can use the day and investigate the incident from yesterday AND we really have to train your new abilities, Minako." With that he slipped out of the room. And left us alone.

Artemis had been in one of his moods again and I really wanted to beat the crap out of him for nearly ruining an utterly perfect morning and most of the rest of the day. I didn't do it because I saw the necessity to get to the bottom of this mess. This latest incident could have cost us our lives, if not for the many small miracles initialized by Hotaru. I had a really bad feeling about this and it wouldn't become any better the more time passed.

The first thing we did was speaking with Kathryn about every little detail that she and her comrades had found. It hadn't been much, but we had received a sample of "Youma Ooze", eww… Artemis had said that he would send that thing back to Luna in Japan to analyze it. How he did that? Don't ask me, I know better than to question him about things like that.

There hadn't been a real pattern to the attacks except that both Youma were somewhat insect-based. That wasn't really helping though. Two youma were too few to be sure about their origin and on the other hand, they seem to like copying insects or relatives of the family anyway. That left us in the dark about the source of all this because we both came to the same understanding that there had to be a hidden source, some sort of new enemy. The first youma might have been a stray one but the second? No. Definitely not.

The rest of the morning and almost the complete afternoon had been eaten away by a very complex and tough training session. I was used to Artemis' drill methods, but today he really put me through a lot. At least, I think that the training had really been good for me. In the short time I had been able to more or less master the Love-me chain without even needing an energy boost and after that, we had eventually called the session to an end.

My only real regret was that I felt I was neglecting Hotaru. Especially after last night's events - a topic Artemis and I had carefully avoided since that morning. I could not help but feeling guilty. The day had given me time to think and while I had not even once regretted our choice, I knew very well that the real test to our fresh relationship was yet to come and the developments from last night might have put us in an uncomfortable situation for both of us. It was never good to rush a relationship and I strongly believed that it was not good to jump in bed with the other person the second night they met.

Don't get me wrong, I trusted Hotaru and my belief was unbroken that the love between the raven and me was of a very special kind and not so easy to shatter. I was just worried that… that… I don't, I was just generally worried, that's all. My relationship record wasn't the best - a vast understatement I know - and I didn't want to scare Hotaru away. I don't think I could bear another loss, I don't think I could bear losing HER.

Kami, was I in for a surprise when I came home.

(From the diary of Tomoe Hotaru)

I feel… great. That might be the biggest understatement in the history of mankind, but I simply and honestly feel great. Last night was… great. Yeah, okay, I keep repeating myself with this oh-so-unworthy word, but I can't put it into words. Though I sometimes love to write poems and other things just to keep my mind occupied with something in the lonely hours at my father's home, the times where I couldn't get out, wouldn't be let outside, now I simply feel my inspiration drained to a point where great words leave me. I could have never imagined all this could happen to me in the span of merely two days. To me of all people! I mean, hey, insecure, unloved, despised, social outcast here, that's me! Not lover to a gorgeous blonde secret shoujo hero who is absolutely cool, fun to be with and very attentive to her friend's needs and problems. I was never really freaked about loving another girl, no, that never was the real question. After all, if you'd be like me, you would jump at any chance you were presented with also, right? Boy or girl, what is it in the end? What matters is that we love each other, that is the bottom of the matter and nothing can ever change that… I hope nothing can.

When Minako left early and not returned for the day, I was a bit worried and maybe even hurt that Artemis dragged her off after our first night really together. There had been so many questions left unanswered, so many tiny doubts in the air that wouldn't go away until we had time to talk about it. I had felt bad having doubts. After all, Minako seemed to fully trust me last night as she had opened up without any resistance, without any mental shields. I had felt things I never did before. However, I couldn't get the idea out of my head that I maybe pushed her away, moved to fast, took advantage of the situation, knowing that she couldn't… wouldn't resist. I felt, as if the physical act maybe had the impression that I - as disgusting as it sounded to me - just wanted to have her in bed, to get the energy kick or something entirely different.

I do love her. I never have been so sure about anything in my whole, miserable life. But did I bring this message across? Did I truly tell her in any words possible how much I cared and how much I wanted to be with her? Maybe I did and I didn't realize, maybe I didn't. But the truth was I wanted to show it to her, for real this time. I had to do it today, when she returned from her training. I had to show her that last night wasn't a mistake, wasn't a desperate call of our tortured souls for comfort and compassion. And I knew the perfect, most simple but yet effective way of doing so.

Humming a soft, melodic tune quietly to myself, I put down the last candles on the veranda and then stepped back to inspect my work. After a few moments of critical inspection, a rearrangement over here, one slightly to the left there - yes, that was perfect. Minako won't be able to scrape her jaw off the floor for at least ten seconds. I chuckled to myself, for the moment pleased with my own work. All around the veranda there were candles of different color and size, illuminating the area and creating a slightly eerie but extremely beautiful twilight effect. In the center of the whole setting stood the simple garden table, neatly prepared with a thin, silk tablecloth in light purple with sprinkles of gold. A plate and two bottles were placed on top of the table between two sets of cutlery. I looked up and saw that the crescent moon was out spending its own twilight. All in all, perfect.

After Minako had left, I had much time to think and finally came to the conclusion that I had to do something special for her. She had saved me two times now; she had let me into her life with all those secrets and loneliness. She had let me take this loneliness away. And then there was last night, something I thought I could never really repay. I had to make sure that she stayed--she couldn't run away like all the others who came close to me. For once, I would not let this happen.

After thinking hard, I had come up with this idea. I was far from an expert on romantic matters. I never had much use for it, so a simple romantic dinner had to do. However, the set-up clearly bore my mark. Back home I liked to collect lamps and bath my room in the comforting glow between light and darkness. I knew exactly how and where to set any candle to create the atmosphere I wished for. Now I could only hope that Minako shared my opinion about the veranda's serene atmosphere.

A tickling sensation in the base of my neck told me that Minako was home - right on time. If I hadn't been able to sense her presence, I might never have heard her coming and therefore couldn't have prepared myself. Minako was moving with an almost cat-like grace as I discovered in the last days and if she wanted to, she could be the perfect definition of stealth. However, with the bond steadily growing stronger, I always knew whenever she was there. It was an awareness unlike any other, exclusively meant for the two of us. I couldn't sense any other people, just her.

That was enough though. Glancing down at myself, I made a last adjustment to my simple, extremely light violet - almost white - dress and then went inside to greet my new girlfriend - I couldn't suppress the tiny blush when I thought about that. I met her just as she came into the living room and instantly worried if I shouldn't better wait until tomorrow with this. She looked exhausted and totally worn out from whatever training Artemis had put her through. But I couldn't pull back now, after all she was bound to see the candles anyway and… An idea struck me.

Greeting her with a warm smile, I tossed back my hair a little for effect and received the most pleasant reaction, when Minako stopped dead in her tracks, her eyes focused on me, trying to take in every detail all at once, even Artemis walking in just behind her stared past his mistress, clearly not expecting this. "I see you had a hard day," I said sympathetic and crossed the room in a few quick steps, standing right in front of her before she could as much as blink. "Let me make it better," I whispered into her ear and saw her shudder with sudden anticipation, before I boldly took her face in my hands and gave her a kiss. It was nothing really demanding or overly arousing, just a sweet, deep kiss with the expression of all my love, but furthermore filling her with energy.

Minako moaned a little as I stepped back, not wanting to break contact so soon. I laughed lightly and shook my head at her. "Not now, Aino-chan, I just needed you to be able to survive this evening." The way I said it, I was sure she wasn't able to tell if I was joking, mocking or threatening. Chuckling again, I took her hand and led her towards the veranda door with Artemis curiously following behind us. All the better, he could and should see to what I was ready to do for Minako.

When we exited the bungalow the Moon was just coming out from behind some clouds, its light falling in an angle smoothly synchronizing with the candles and mirrored in a beautiful way on the near water's surface. Minako stood stock still, not daring to even move a muscle as she was overwhelmed by the incredible atmosphere of the setting - just as I had expected. I thought I heard Artemis choking back an exclamation, his eyes darting between the setting, his charge and me.

"Do you like it?" I asked innocently, although I had seen enough already to answer my own question. My voice seemed to break her out of her trance and she slowly turned around to me, her eyes searching mine and when they met, she jerked a little from the intensity of the emotions dancing there. Suddenly taking my hand in hers, Minako answered my own love-filled gaze with one of her own and her voice was barely above a whisper. "Ho… Hotaru, that's beautiful," she breathed, her voice trembling. It was the first thing she said to me since she entered the house and it made my heart jump with joy. Her expression was full of wonder but beyond any doubt that she was definitely deeply touched by what I had arranged.

"I…" I searched for my own voice trying to explain myself, since I saw the question already in her eyes. "I thought that we maybe moved a bit too fast last night… no, not I, I mean, I thought that it might appear a bit to fast and we hadn't even had a date yet… So I thought I needed to show you how serious I take this relationship and wanted to know if you do too, because I don't want to leave it with last night and I hope you don't also and…" Minako leaned forward, silencing me with a quick, short kiss on the lips. "It's wonderful and I really don't know how I earned all of this, how I earned you." I smiled shyly and replied with open honesty. "You deserve everything I can give you and everything that I can't. I never felt so good before in my life than with you. Sometimes I think it is all a dream that I never want to wake up from but… It isn't and that only makes me more happy." Extending my hand I stopped myself with a smile and a nod towards the table and our dinner. "Shall we?" Minako, totally baffled by my answer, took a moment to register my question but when she did, her face radiated a strong happiness that could have surpassed the faint silver glow from the crescent moon above. Wiping a stray tear out of the corner of her eye, she gradually took the offered hand and we moved together towards the table. Neither one of us noticed Artemis retreating silently and with a - if we could have seen it - totally unreadable expression in his face.

I have to cut in here for a moment because I really think you should say, what was going through my head at this time. It's not going to be very long… Well, at least Hotaru let's me write something unlike Minako. *sigh*

(Memory Crystal Recording of Artemis)

When they walked towards the set table, lost in each other's eyes and the compassionate presence of each other, I sharply turned around and strode back into the house, just to slowly make my way upstairs and hopped from one of the windows onto the roof. There I stayed and curled up, resting my head with a heavy sigh. There I finally let myself allow a few tears and strangled choking noise to pass through my reserve.

"Forgive me, Luna…" I murmured. Hotaru had surprised me as much as she did Minako and when I witnessed the interaction and feelings displayed first hand, I realized for the first time that they were truly happy. Tomoe Hotaru made my Venus finally happy. And that frightened me, it scared me beyond possible because I knew that now I would be unable to eventually put a stop to things, if my assumption about her hidden powers and heritage proved right. Unawakened she didn't prove a serious threat, but I had no idea what constant company in the presence of another Senshi could and would trigger, especially with a Senshi that mated with her hidden identity's reincarnation. That could lead to a catastrophe. But still…

"I cannot tear them apart now." Looking down from above I saw the two girls eating and quietly talking, communicating more with their eyes and over their connection than with spoken words. No, if I broke this up - and Serenity forgive I did think about it the whole day -, that would not only destroy Tomoe Hotaru and do the Kami-knows-what to her reincarnated soul. No, it would also crush Minako - harder than with Allen, harder than with Hiroshi. Hell, even harder than it crushed Hebe when she had to deal with and kill a possessed Kunzite. And I could and would never ever forgive myself for that. I loved her too much for that. Minako meant to me far more than any of the other Senshi, maybe on some levels even more than Luna. She was like a child, a sister and a caring friend at the same time for me. I could not put our relationship in simple terms, but I was very proud to have the privilege to be her partner. Not because I was Hebe's. No, that was in the past. I was simply glad to be with Minako and seeing her happy…

I closed my eyes tightly and tried to shut out the faint sounds of conversation from below reaching my sensitive cat ears. "Forgive me, I could not live with that." Before I would hurt Minako like this, I would more likely kill myself, may the price be even that high. Nothing was worth more to me than to see the self-proclaimed Goddess of Love finally completely happy with someone, with someone who understood her, was willing to take her as she was. Someone - and after what I've seen minutes before I was sure of it - who loved her with everything. Body, Mind, Heart and Soul - ok the last part was a bit tricky. Tell me, if you were in my position, could you take this away from her, from them? No, I don't think so.

Looking up at the Moon, presenting itself in a full crescent tonight, I wondered what Serenity would have said. I knew both Queen and Princess had a soft spot for the most deadliest of Senshi. No, not particular the Senshi, but her cruel fate and I also knew that Hebe, despite my own uncomfortable attitude towards the topic, hadn't argued against that. It could not be helped though. What done was done and I had the sinking feeling that all this was planned from the start, especially when I recalled how we all met together here. "Did you do this, Serenity? Did you send her here?"

Only the wind rustled but there wasn't an answer in it - which I could tell without being Uranus. I sighed again and decided to stay outside tonight because from the look of things, the two newfound lovers below wouldn't stay in their state of soft communication for the whole night. "May the world be damned, at least they are happy. That's all that matters to me."

(From the diary of Aino Minako)

I'll spare myself any form of opening because… well, I think I made it clear in the first entry…

The passed week has been wonderful and rather uneventful. Things settled down after these two hectic days with two Youma fights and Hotaru and my relationship getting a whole new dimension. The little raven was wonderful. I never met someone like her. She inspires me, makes me do things that I would normally not do. I became the protector part and often felt myself reminded of the first time when I met up with the other Senshi after I had left England. Sadness had clouded my thoughts often then and I had thrown myself into my given role as the team leader, acting all serious and mature.

Hotaru makes me act all serious and mature too, not always, but especially when there is potential danger or when she opens up and tells something about her past and family. Unlike the first time, I do not really despise being that way. It was a reversion of roles, I am not any longer the sole female part, I am suddenly doing tasks that normally would fall to the male part. Not everything though, but a lot of things. And I like it, I have to admit I like being the more dominant partner… Ok, that sounds like I like being in charge of Hotaru… Err, how to say it… Hotaru brings the best out of me, I think. I see it as my primary task to ensure her safety and make her happy. In all the other relationships, I had often let the boys do the effort of courting as it should be. But the mechanics between two girls are a little different as I found out. Firefly clearly doesn't seem to mind and she is quite good at wrapping me around her little finger too - especially considering the dinner quasi-date on our second evening.

In return, I discovered a few things more about my girlfriend too. She doesn't talk that much about her childhood, but that doesn't surprise nor bother me. Losing a parent was bad enough, living with the realization that the other one is slowly drifting away from and neglecting you… I sometimes think my parents are bad because they often ignore me, however, compared with Hotaru's family situation, I think I have it rather good.

The attacks caused by her unhealthy physical state aren't that frequent as they used to be and often only occur when we are separate for a longer time - which rarely happens. Artemis suspects that our connection and the energy sharing is responsible for that and I am bound to agree with him. That also meant that I didn't cure her or something, but that I just make it a little better. Maybe we could find something later on… The Ginzuishou could… No, no way. I don't even know if the others would ever be reawakened, even if it becomes more and more likely with every passing day. Luna and Artemis would strongly protest and while I wouldn't put it behind Usagi to try, even I thought that Hotaru's strange powers which make even Artemis extremely nervous, colliding with the silver energy wouldn't be such a good mix.

As I already told you, the week was great. Nothing much happened since the bee Youmas in the center. There was a minor one three days ago. I had a good target practice with it and was able to test my new skills with the Chain and Shower. Apart from that, I could really get used to this vacation after all. Artemis and I are still out long during the day, training and tracking potential trails, but Hotaru and I still have time to enjoy some quality time alone with each other. The usual things couples use to do. Movies, long walks at the lake, romantic dinners - compared to me, Hotaru is a tremendous good cook, not as good as Mako-chan though. With Hotaru, all of this feels special. No, it doesn't just feel, it IS special. And isn't that the best reason to believe that we are truly meant for each other? When everything you do, every touch, every word of love, means the world for you… That ought to be a good sign, right?

Like all good things, even this peaceful time came to an abrupt end, but considering that I was a Senshi that didn't surprise as much as how this ending finally came.

The sun was already setting when we arrived at the festival. Apparently we had chosen a good time for our vacation. There was a small festival in town and Kathryn had invited Hotaru and me. We were really getting along great and I was gradually becoming glad about this. Hotaru and Kathryn had quickly taken a liking to each other and Hotaru's English had already improved well in this last week. I was just glad though that Allen wasn't here. Not that I wouldn't like to have him here, but with the double memory and the whole complication in the last loop… Nah, not worth the trouble. Kathryn had told me that Allen was studying for his first college semester this past few weeks and wouldn't show up unannounced while she was still on recruiting duty.

I looked around and saw that for the late hour the festival didn't spare with visitors and most of the booths and stands were pulsating with activity. People were playing games here or simply getting drunk there. A few children were occupying the three carrousels and some of the couples as well as whole families were drawn to the huge ferry wheel. All in all, the party was in full swing and there was few that I liked more. I think I was practically bouncing with anticipation because Hotaru gave me some funny looks while Kathryn - knowing me a bit longer - never even blinked.

"Reminds me of the times, you, me and Allen used to do this," my old friend said after a while taking in the sights. I actually expected to feel a pang of pain at the mention of this time because I knew that in bringing us three together had made it possible for Allen and Kathryn to first meet. I glanced at Hotaru and suddenly took her hand, making her jump slightly. "As long as you don't go snatching my girlfriend away this time, that's okay with me." Hotaru blushed a bit because I had spoken fairly loud and clear, drawing some attention, but I think by now every single tourist in this tiny city knew about us. I was far from shy in showing the world that we were together. That might not be normal Japanese custom, but I was a reborn Venusian, and we were like this… Also, that's way everyone else would think more closely before challenging me about Hotaru.

Kathryn though seemed to have taken my semi-jokingly comment serious as she turned to me with a honest apologetic expression. "Gomen nasei, Minako-san, I…" I shook my head at her and smiled. "Don't worry, I wasn't expecting you to. I think you would never drop Allen and I don't think you're quite on our side of the team." Now I actually made Kathryn blush scarlet and she quickly stammered out. "Uh… no…"

Using that amazing talent of mine, I turned from serious conversation to eager anticipation. "And now let's go, I want to enjoy this party!" With that, I pulled a helpless Hotaru after me and Kathryn laughing light-heartily tried to catch up.

We spent nearly three hours nonstop racing from one attraction to the other and throughout stuffing masses of food into ourselves that even Usagi would be proud of. I shot some prizes and even outmatched Kathryn by one hit. Hotaru merely enjoyed the carousels and my attention and I was enjoying giving her my full attention. Even though the last days had been quiet, the undeniable feeling of menace in the air and the anticipation before the next move of our unknown enemy was straining not only my nerves, but Artemis' too and was rubbing off on Hotaru in the process. I think we all had earned some relaxing, just us, no Youma to worry about, no training, just fun… Ha ha, as if that ever went well.

It happened when we were in the Ferris Wheel, relatively close to the top. Hotaru had her head lying on my shoulder, exhausted from the "most fun she ever had in her life". She tended to say that a lot about many things, but considering what a hard and miserable childhood she had lived until this point, I could not hold it against her. Kathryn was looking over to the lake glittering in the evening, midnight moonlight and I was absently stroking Hotaru's hair, letting my thoughts wander once again through all these events of the past week that had changed my life so dramatically.

Again the slight tingle of superhuman senses give me a mere second warning before a loud crash could be heard and the screaming started below. All three of us jumped up, pressing our noses against the window to see better; Artemis jumped onto my shoulder and frowned. Below us the crowd was in a near panic as somewhat green-looking creatures ravaged through the helpless people. I could not see more from here but I felt another presence nearby, a stronger presence, a… familiar presence. As hard as I tried I couldn't remember the aura, so I gave it up for the moment.

"Stay here," I advised before kicking open the hatch and attempting to climb the cabin. Hotaru grabbed my arm and turned me around for a quick but passionate kiss. "Be careful," she pleaded with a hand on my cheek. I smiled slyly. "Wouldn't want to disappoint you."

With that, I made a jump and soon stood atop our cabin. Apparently the power had been cut or turned down because the Ferris Wheel had stopped completely. Taking a quick glance around, I noticed that all eyes from the passengers were drawn downwards. Raising my compact I called out: "MIKAZU POWER TRANSFORM! TURN ME INTO A PARACHUTIST!" Hey, come on, even as a Senshi, I wasn't going to jump from up here and hopping from cabin to cabin seemed to me a bit slow. Diving down in a kamikaze manner, I once again marveled how well the mirror worked. The parachute opened up right on time and let me glide down smoothly. Three meters over the ground I pulled out my pen and transformed, for now abandoning the usual speech pattern because I didn't think the… uh, trolls?… wouldn't pay attention anyway.

"CRESECENT BEAM SHOWER!" Filled with energy from the already standard boost and good luck kiss from Hotaru, I rained a deadly shower of energy beams down on the trolls, surprisingly hitting every target and dissolving it on the spot. I cannot help it but something seems to feel familiar about this, I thought while scanning the area for more enemies. "Trolls are mostly Venusian creatures and therefore subordinate to the planet's elemental aligning to metal." I blinked and raised an eyebrow at Artemis, not really daring to ask how he got down here so fast. "You mean it is, if Mars would fight little green martian and no matter what we would still win?" Artemis sweatdropped but nodded.

A light, somewhat gentle, but far from friendly laugh rang over the now almost vacant area of the festival. "You didn't change at all, Hebe, did you?" My body followed the sharp movement of my head moments later when I whirled around, once again feeling this familiar presence. The voice was awfully familiar too and when my eyes finally spotted the slim figure on the roof of the spook house, a sudden memory flash from my past life pushed its way forward.

Very light red hair with one streak of silver and one of gold on opposites sides framed a fragile looking face with sparkling deep black eyes. The bare flesh of the slender legs and arms was merely hidden by the grayish-green top and the identical piece of panties. High and heavy black heels were covering her feet and a ruby necklace hang loosely down between her - well-developed - breasts. The most distinctive mark apart from the marking hair streaks however, were the mint green-marine blue butterfly things sparkling in the pale moonlight. A Venusian elf. And not only an elf. No, this one was an elite warrior as well as a master mage, not to mention Hebe's best friend from her childhood days on Venus.

"Priapos," I whispered, my eyes wide and my breath caught. The elf I recognized as Priapos, high-ranked, ten-star Efadio - the elfin warrior class - looked down at me with an amused expression. "Why, Hebe, you look like you've seen a ghost… Oh wait, that probably is right from your point of view." The following piercing laugh was so unlike the elf I remembered from Hebe's memory that I took a startled step back. "H-How…?" I managed to stammer out, oblivious to Artemis' warning looks. Priapos stopped laughing and suddenly glared at me with distaste. "Really, Hebe. I thought better of you than this. You are really willing to let this unworthy human lead your life? Come join us and everything will be as it once was. We will be together again."

I wasn't prepared for the bolt of dark energy crashing onto the ground right in front of me. The explosion took me off my feet and I landed hard a few meters away. I coughed scattered dust, not really hurt, but a little bit shaken. Though confused, I felt a wave of anger well up inside of me as I received a spark of her aura. Blackened, clouded… The nature elf had been corrupted by the Dark Kingdom as much as Kunzite and Adonis had been before. "I don't know what you are talking about, but I will never join my powers with demons and you as a nature elf, aligned to life shouldn't too."

My past self's one time friend held my heated gaze for several moments then shook her head sadly. "A pity that you don't want to see reason." As quick as the vine tendril wrapped around me, I didn't even have time to react before I felt my body bound and squeezed tightly. I squirmed and writhed under the pressure but to no avail. The tendril was almost steel-hard. No, I corrected myself, it WAS steel-hard. Metal combined with nature magic could be rather deadly and I remembered that Priapos always liked to combine her given Venusian gifts and her own race's elemental magic.

I had to bit my lower lip to not scream out as dark energy crackled along the vine tendril into my own body. Lifting my head, I pleadingly looked at Priapos. I - Hebe - didn't want to believe what one of my best friends had become. The duality of personality became rather conflicting at the moment and I couldn't concentrate clearly. Priapos laughed mockingly again. "Don't give me that look. If you really were the Venus I knew, you would never associated with this… earthling scum. They betrayed us, Hebe, how can you live with them, how can you love them…" She took a deep breath and I saw her eyes flame with rage I've never seen in the gentle elf's. "How can you love a scrawny, tainted EARTH GIRL!!!" At the last words, her voice had became an indescribable high note and her dark aura intensified three-fold, fueled by her rage. Too late, I noticed the implied meaning and consequences of her words and too late I noticed that the next attack of two helix-like columns wasn't directed at me, but at the still motionless Ferris Wheel.

(From the diary of Tomoe Hotaru)

If I think about it closely, the events of that evening and the following days had made a great impact on myself and our relationship in general. The hardships resulting out of this particular event could have easily ripped us apart, though in the end, it probably brought us even closer together - not only me and Minako but also me and Hebe. To tell the truth, although it didn't bother me too much, I had always been a bit frisky about the former incarnation of my girlfriend. That night, when we first made love, I think I triggered something with my actions which became clearly obvious in Minako's reaction. While she still had been Minako in general, her actions, her behavior and the almost merciless love-making had frightened and excited me at the same time. That was not how a virgin - which Minako always insists she had been - would act. A memory personality, however, surely had some more experience about Senshi mating.

Yeah, mating. I think that is exactly the word I'm searching for, that's how it felt the first night and still feels often then we consummate our love again. I am still bearing the mark on my neck, though hidden mostly by my hair - which I have let grown a bit longer by the way, since Minako commented that it would look good on me.

I cannot write much more here because I still have to go into detail and it's already getting late. Tomorrow will be a hard day and maybe an even tougher one for both Minako and me than the last few days. I have to be well rested then.

Seconds passed while I stared out of the window, after the probably most impressive exit someone could make - especially if this someone was your still-fresh girlfriend. I think the tapping sound had to be my fingers nervously reacting to my overall and usual sense of worry whenever Minako went out to fight a Youma. That nervousness only increased when I was not able to actual see what was going on…

Where was a flash of gold from below, indicating that Minako had fully transformed, quickly followed by an eruption of golden, meteor-like but thin beams. Almost simultaneously with what my eyes took in, I felt a sudden… jerk in the back of my awareness, gently but firmly shaking along my bond with the other girl. I experienced the sudden sensation of being in two places at the same time because I could still see and act normally from my position in the Ferris Wheel but also seeing what was happening below through Venus' eyes… I just waited for some whispering voice to add "There you go" to the whole experience. It didn't come though.

"Hotaru-chan, daijobu ka?" Kathryn's worried voice brought me out what must have appeared to her as a sort-of trance. Still keeping the attention of my mind-eye on the battle below that was going surprisingly well, I turned back to the older girl. "Gomen, I think I just experienced another side effect of the mating." Kathryn raised a curious eyebrow at that and I realized that we hadn't told our friend how far exactly we had taken our relationship by now. I gave a sigh and simply explained what I experienced right at the moment. "I'm seeing what's going on down there. They don't seem so tough."

"You are seeing it? How?" Kathryn pried incredulously. "Through Minako… Or more Venus… maybe Hebe even… I dunno, it's complicated and they ARE more or less the same person," I tried to explain. The police officer rubbed her chin. "Interesting. Is that a Senshi thing? You said something about mating, that sounds so… final." I nodded absently to that than frowned as I picked up the new arrival on the battle scene below and the emotions of recognition and disbelief coming from my mate - I could not help but to think in terms like this when I was so deeply connected to her. Keeping close attention on the interaction of the two below, I continued explaining. "Minako thinks that Hebe thinks that the energy and all the other things we seem to be able to do is a typical sign for the Senshi finding her mate."

"As in soul mate?" Kathryn clarified further, picking up quickly my emphasis on the her-part. "At least not a normal lover," I confirmed with a seriousness, without even blushing, which would have startled anyone who didn't know me and maybe even some of the few who did. But before I could actually register the bluntness of my statement fully, I gritted my teeth in pain, as I spun around to stare hard out of the window as if that would somehow increase my mind focus. "Something wrong? Did Minako get hurt?" Kathryn asked softly with one hand on my shoulders. I wasn't sure what kind of reply to give. I had felt Minako's pain than Priapos had wrapped her tentacle-like tendril around her but even stronger was the heart-wrenching pain of betrayal and anger about losing yet another friend to the other side.

"WATCH OUT!" I shouted suddenly as I registered the next blast wasn't meant for my mate but for the Ferris Wheel… To be precise, for me. Without hesitation, I pushed Kathryn down in a desperate attempt to do something. We quickly found out that this wasn't helping anything as the blast hit. The sound of metal bending and the feel of the cabin rocking wildly brushed past me as I nearly lost the connection when Minako's agonizing panic reached me, superimposing our shared connection before shutting completely down, giving way for another presence quickly pushing forward. That was the last impression I got before the connection shattered and with it, a portion of the cabin which was descending in free fall towards the ground.

I tried to hang on for dear life and was probably screaming, while Kathryn had managed to at least grip the seat in front of her and dangling from that now on one arm. I had managed to find a latch but the pull from the centrifugal force was nearly ripping my arm out of its socket. It all happened so fast that I had no time to prepare, in spite of the warning. As much as this part, the next part happened with equal speed. One moment we were falling surely to our death, the next I only knew that I was held by strong, familiar arms.

I glanced up and saw the cabin above us empty and hanging now on a loose, barely sparkling with energy, metal bar replacing the one destroyed in a more awkward angle. As I watched, I saw the energy flowing into the rest of the structure, replacing damaged metal where it was needed, before blinking out and leaving just a slight distorted Ferris Wheel behind.

"Nani?" I breathed surprised, my mind still jumbled from the near-death experience as I looked up into Venus' face searching for an answer in the mask-covered face… And noticed that for some reason she wasn't wearing her usual mask and the fuku wasn't exactly her disguised one too. There was no tiara, indicating that she had fully transformed - and I've seen it before - but instead the sign of Venus was shining softly on her forehead.

"Hush," Venus silenced me with a finger to the lips and I wasn't exactly sure who I had before me or better who was dominating in my girlfriend at the moment, but I knew for sure that Venus could not recreate metal, which left only one option. "There was no choice, my host's pain and our bond forced me to act." Venus' voice had an abnormal softness to it, a gentleness that didn't quite match my prior impression I got from Princess Hebe, but confirmed quickly that she indeed was the Goddess of Love, because… Well, nobody could manage to smile so gentle, peaceful, reassuring, soft and overall caring other than a Love Goddess, right?

Before I could process that line of thoughts or ask what would go on, I felt Venus' lips brush over mine and giving me the probably most incredible kiss of my life - apart from the kissing on our mating night maybe. But compared to that hungry and demanding exchange, the kiss Venus gave me now was gentle, feather-light and like a light drizzle of love… It left my whole body tickling all over and I felt so good that I could burst from the mass of giddiness inside. A gloved finger brushed softly over my cheek and under my chin, lifting it slightly to meet her soft but intense gaze. "Bonds are only formed with the full acceptance of the whole being. Keep that in mind, young one."

With that she let go of me and sat me down next to Kathryn - I had no idea of how she came down here too. Venus stood up and turned around, her features slightly hardening… accusing maybe, as she leveled glaring eyes at the elf who had followed the exchanged from a short distance with an unreadable expression.

"I think, you are missing the point completely," Venus said, her voice indifferent - which was scary with the girl who was normally the definition of emotion. Priapos blinked, her eyes a bit wide and unbelieving. "Hebe?" I could not help but think her voice for a split-second was completely natural, not laced with any evil influence. Venus didn't answer directly and didn't turn her eyes away, capturing the elf's gaze in hers. "Maybe, maybe not. You don't seem to understand a thing about reincarnation. The Priapos I knew, would never side with evil, she would die a thousands times and still not even think of it. You think I'm not Venus, that I am not your Hebe? That Aino Minako is using me, influencing me? I tell you something, old friend. Aino Minako IS me. I am merely a part of her memory, a short remain of a past life who has found her peace a thousand years ago. We are one being, one person, but it is Aino Minako's life not mine anymore. You accuse us of not knowing who we are? We were more aware of what we are and where our place in this world is during these last weeks than ever before." While she said that, she averted her eyes slowly to where I sat stock-still and staring at her, which made me blush profusely. "I… and I mean all of me, is finally living and happy. You on the other hand, Priapos, I'm not sure if you truly know anymore who you are and where you belong. Maybe you should give some thought if you aren't the one being us..."

"SHUT UP!" Priapos flung a blast at Venus, but she merely stood there and the energy fizzled out in thin air a few inches in front of the Senshi. The elf recoiled from the thin golden aura around my mate and flapped her wings furiously to get some distance. "I don't want to hear it, not from you! I can't believe you became this. Earth betrayed you, the Silver Millennium was destroyed by this low-level, easy-to-control scum! How can you associate with those who have destroyed your past life and murdered thousands of innocents until they were the only ones left in this system? HOW CAN YOU?"

Venus didn't move, nor flinched and answered without hesitation and total sincerity: "Because they changed and I love them." Priapos shuddered at this reply and began to shake with anger. I thought she would attack any second, going on a rampage, but she didn't. Instead, her eyes hardened though barely-restrained tears. "THEN I HATE YOU!" she screamed, turned and flew off into the night sky, leaving behind a sharp and dreadful silence.

The intensity of the elf's outrageous accusation had taken me aback and I caught Kathryn flinching as well. Venus, however, was still standing there motionless, without any noticeable reaction to Priapos' words. The silence lasted a few seconds before I caught sight of one single tear streaking down the Senshi's cheek followed by a gut-wrenching sob making its way up her throat as she fell to her knees, intending to bury her face into the ground.

Instead she just found my chest as a pillow. I had already sensed what was coming long before it happened and had moved with an unnatural speed to intercept my uncontrollably crying girlfriend. Minako was beginning to shake violently as her transformation faded away and I felt Hebe instinctively shielding herself to spare Minako some of the amount of grief-stricken pain. The pain of losing and the hurt inflicted by this exact same, former friend. I just held her close until exhaustion overtook the blonde girl and unconsciousness claimed her.

A tired sigh escaped my lips as I closed the door to our shared bedroom and leaned against it for support. I closed my eyes and just stayed in that position for a few moments trying to think of nothing in order to stabilize my thought pattern again - something my mother had shown me before her early… departure. Thoughts, can't have any of that. No thoughts. Just relax, peace… Good.

With my mind a bit less jumbled but still undeniably laced with a great deal of worry, I trotted down the stairs to the living room area where Kathryn and Artemis waited. It had not been as much of a problem to bring Minako back here because she was still out of it, but then there the worrying aspect THAT she was still out of it. Don't get me wrong. After such an experience I would probably also sleep up to a dozen hours, however Minako was just simply not responding to anything. I had tried to soothe her sleep and give comfort as well as I could but I could not reach her through our connection and that deeply troubled me.

"I take it she's still sleeping," Kathryn's usually quiet and reserved voice broke through my thoughts. It amazed me how modest and centered the older girl could be. Not really serenity, but a deep strength of character that wasn't easily troubled. But now, however, even her voice bore markings of worry that could just not be ignored.

"If you can call it sleeping," I replied and plumped down in the armchair opposite from the couch where she and Artemis had currently made a home for themselves. "I wouldn't think of it in the form of resting at least." I closed my eyes briefly, suddenly feeling very weary and tired. Not so much from the events of the day or the near-death experience from the battle, it was more an emotional drain in a manner I wasn't at all familiar or content with.

"It must be hard for her. To lose another person precious to her, even if only in a past life," Kathryn remarked sadly. "After all what she's been through. How much more has the girl to suffer before it's enough?" My eyes snapped open as I experienced the sudden and strong urge to defend my girlfriend. "And you would know how that is, right?" The police officer reacted as if physically slapped, flinching and then reverting her eyes downwards. I sighed yet again, repeating the mental exercise from before.

"Gomen, Kathryn-san, I wasn't thinking, that's all just a bit much all of a sudden." Kathryn met my apologizing gaze with a sad and remorseful smile. "It's okay, though I probably deserve it. I can hardly imagine what my actions in the past did to her, especially with the whole loop business further complicating things. I knew she forgave me but I still feel bad about taking Allen away from her right under her nose…"

"We wouldn't have found together, if you didn't," I interrupted quietly, causing my friend to look up surprised and a bit sharply. "Who says that? It never even happened as far as actual history is concerned. If I see you two, I could never imagine you not being meant for each other." The honesty in her statement startled me a bit but also the quiet accusing in it that chided me for thinking along such foolish lines. "What makes you think so?" I asked curiously. Kathryn seemed to be dead serious about it and if I was honest, I could need some reassurance myself after feeling so helpless as I was right now.

The older woman studied me for a moment, her features softening a bit. "I never saw anyone progress a relationship that quickly and take everything so naturally. It's not that I don't believe in love at first sight. But I hardly think that it is possible to achieve such a deep understanding of each other in roughly two days time with the final result of… what did you call it?… mating." I nodded silently, not quite convinced yet. "A relationship will always invoke problems, arguments and other things that are never present in an innocent girl's fantasy about the perfect boy… err, girlfriend. You two, however, just fit. There is nothing between you, that could cause a problem or shatter your love for each other."

Her gaze held my eyes locked for several seconds before I finally replied: "Then tell me, why she's shutting me out? Usually I should be able to soothe her pain, maybe to even see her dreams to a degree in order to understand the pain better. But I can't get through to her now, she's blocking me and… and I simply don't know what to do…"

"And that is simply a testament that your love is strong. Relationships are never easy, Hotaru-chan, and they require effort, from both parts. Even… No, especially in your case. Your pasts are not the most glorious ones and that will lead to more troubles than you can wish for. So don't break down at the first crisis, trying to somehow convince yourself that it's your fault. There will be times when it is different but Minako needs you to be strong for her right now."

A slow smile began to spread over my lips by the time Kathryn was finished because I realized that she was right. I had acted like a fool. This was by far no minor crisis but that only increased the necessity of my attention. Minako's mental state, and her refusal to let me in, had sent me into a frenzy albeit any rational thought. Kathryn was also right about our relationship being such a perfect miracle so far. Relationships, however, weren't perfect. Not in the sense that fairy tales always promised them to be. I could not expect anything to be smooth and perfect because that would clearly indicate that something wasn't right. Order is what helps mankind to survive but it needs a certain amount of chaos for humanity to progress and develop, I remembered some of father's private lessons. "When did you become the Goddess of Love here?" I replied with restrained amusement. Kathryn barely laughed either, though the exchange lightened our moods a bit. "Just a woman talking from experience."

Artemis coughed, interrupting us, as he jumped down from his place. "Now that this is settled, I might be able to tell you a bit about what Minako is most likely going through now." I eyed the cat closely, feeling a bit of envy at the fact that Artemis so simply could determine what I was denied but stomped down on that new dark emotion forcefully. The white cat knew my girlfriend far much longer when I even lived, including her reborn life. And that especially could be really helpful now. "Then tell me," I said softly but insistent, a silent plea in my eyes to tell me anything that could be of importance for me in order to understand Minako's pain. I needed to know, if I wanted to follow Kathryn's advice and be strong for my lover, if I wanted to truly help her.

Artemis looked up at me and after a few seconds of silence, his eyes softened and I fully expected a sigh to follow like it usually did. I knew he wasn't completely comfortable with me around Minako but had come to accept it and the way he looked at me now, I felt a bit flattered by the gentleness there. Hopping up to me, he actually settled down in my lap, looking up to me. "Okay," was all he said, before he began his tale of Hebe and Priapos.

I made sure to make no sound when I slipped back into the room, though I knew that Minako would be unresponsive at best anyway. She had been last night when Artemis was finished spinning the tale of the nature elf and my love's past life. That didn't surprise me as much as it hurt me. Kathryn's words still lingered in my mind at that time and I was far from surrendering so quickly, after all, I had sworn to myself to never ever lose her. However… It hurt to lay there, holding her with no reaction whatsoever to my display of comfort and love. I wasn't used to this form of sleep with Minako. Ever since the night we had consummated our mating, neither of us would hide nor block emotions in bed. We were totally open and even when we didn't do much more than snuggle, our thoughts, emotions, feelings were joined body, spirit, heart and soul. We would fall asleep as one, pass the night as one and wake up as one. As unusual as it sounds, I never imagined it could be different.

As I laid there awake last night, feeling cold and not complete, I could not sleep for a long time, although exhausted and tired. Artemis had told me that this most possibly was a way of her whole being - meaning all personality aspects - was dealing with the whole situation and after hearing from Artemis of exactly what nature Hebe and Priapos' relationship had been, I was not at all surprised.

The elf and young princess had met early in the childhood, long before the Venusian heir had been called for her service on the Moon as a Senshi and guardian to the Moon Princess. From what Artemis knew because he had never been present that time, Hebe had more or less accidentally triggered some of her given powers and saved the elf from a demonic counterpart spawn of the local elfin race. They became friends and ever since then, the nature elf practically worshipped the ground the young princess walked on. Hebe, being young, kind and innocent tended to ignore these antics and actually formed a bond of friendship with her admirer.

That, however, was bound to cause trouble, because Priapos originated from a rather low class of elfin breed. Nature elves were far from underclass, but only certain ones and those who possessed actual power and influence on the flow of their element were of any importance and treated with utmost amount of respect. The rest dwelled somewhere in at best middle class, their status lowered because their talents were not essential needed with the elder class arranging things. So it caused quite an uproar when the crown princess brought home a low class nature elf and intended to keep her as a friend. Fortunate for all involved parties, Hebe's mother, Queen Aphrodite, presented them both with the option of simply making Priapos sort of the Princess' personal counselor and bodyguard.

Priapos had accepted without hesitation and from that day on lived up to the bargain, training to quickly rise as well in power as in respect by her fellow kinfolk. She was kind of a revolutionist, demonstrating that the natural skill in combat with both physical and magical strength was not one to underestimate, which in turn inspired a lot of young lower class elves to rise to her example.

The bonds between princess and bodyguard had not even been shattered as Artemis made his appearance at court in order to prepare the crown princess for her role as Senshi and leader. That was until the day came they had to part ways. Young Hebe had to leave for the Moon and Priapos was not allowed to accompany her friend and princess. Artemis had not gone into details about the parting but I could well imagine myself what transpired then.

I sat down on the side of the bed and studied the girl still somewhat curled in a fetal position in an uneasy sleep that made my heart cry out for her. I wanted to reach out and soothe her pain as I was used to. But she wouldn't let me in and though I understood the reason, I couldn't accept the concept. We had already joined, there wasn't supposed to be any secrets and we did not only share our love but also the pain. She should let me help.

"She must have been like a sister to you and now you think you lost her forever," I said, maybe even more to myself than to the sleeping beauty next to me. Stroking her golden bangs I wondered again at the strange familiarity, the similarities of our lives - even if partly reborn. "I know that too, you know? I know how it is to lose a… someone important." Again I thought about Priapos' heated reply to Venus own words. Then I hate you. How much this must have struck, especially the part in her that was Hebe and as Hebe said they were one person, so it possibly hurt Minako just as much.

"It hurts, I know. Even though you know you were not responsible, you feel like it. You feel accused and dirty. Losing someone that way often is even harder than by dying." I sighed as familiar pictures flickered in front of my mind eye and I forcefully pressed them shut as if to block out the painful memories. "Even though you don't let me in, I think I feel how much it hurts. I wish you let me help…" For a moment I thought she had actually stirred but the slow breathing of sleep returned. I sighed yet again and proceeded to stand up to get me something to eat. "But I'll wait for you, until your ready."

I was already half way up, when I felt a firm but gentle grip around my wrist, pulling me back. The action had taken me by surprise and though I noticed that Minako was still asleep, I was not at all prepared for abruptly entering dreamscape once again.

I emerged back on a rather strange setting, fully conscious and not at all feeling like I normally did when sharing dreams with my mate. For once, there was the striking absence of another presence that I had gotten used to that was mostly Hebe's which provided the unusual realization that I was simply caught in the role of the observer. Why that was, I didn't know, that was the least of important impressions though. As I looked around, I noticed that while the surrounding scenery looked at least somewhat like Earth, there were certain aspects that indicated differently. For one, the nature around me was much too thick and flourishing to be of Earth standard, trees were high and healthy, even better then some in the rain forest pictures I had seen. The same went for the flowers that were unfamiliar to me and in strange colors, varying everything in the spectrum between deep red and a darker purple pink, covering everything in between. The sky was of an unnatural, dim orange-gold hue and the rather bright, but surprisingly not the least, hot sun hanging like a planet above our heads. If I looked closely, I thought, I could even spot Earth and its Moon in the distance. So, all in all, everything seemed like just out of a big fairy-tale picture book. Not to say anything about said namesakes oblivious to their baffled watcher speeding between the flora and fauna of their home.

I averted my head sharply to look for anything that was of direct importance. It was already quite clear that I was on Venus and that whatever the dream was about, it had something to do with Hebe and Priapos. So, no need to stand around here in front of this enormous, ornamented, striking, magnificent… palace… admiring the view. Yeah, that was what I wanted to think before I was so rudely interrupted by the awareness of what could only be the Royal Palace. I guess I was already at my destination.

Voices suddenly reached my ears of which I had the distinct idea of belonging to children, young teenagers at best, and one had the pulling note in it that clearly belonged to my mate. With a few quick steps, I rounded the corner and found myself in a large area that could rival a baseball stadium three times at least. The markings on the ground and the odd-shaped vehicle that filled a great portion of the area were clear indicators that this probably was the landing field for space ships. But that or the thoroughly interesting space ship in question didn't prove to be of any further interest as my eyes fell on the group a few feet away from the ship.

Gathered in two semi-circles, I could identity several adults in fancy robes or other clothing speaking of high status. But the center of interest, not only for the gathered parties but also for me, were the two young children in their midst. Ten maybe, at best twelve years - though I could never tell with what Minako told me about the Silver Crystal's effect on appearance -, one was clad in a very formal robe of orange and gold. Long blonde-gold hair framed a childish face with a surprising mature quality to it. Blue eyes sparkled with life. Overall, I had no trouble identifying the younger Hebe or the other child in question, especially after hearing Artemis' story about the elf society. The other one was no doubt a younger version of Priapos.

"But I don't want you to go and why can't I just come with you?" the young elf's voice brought me out of my thoughts. Priapos was shaking, that much I could tell, and barely able to control her emotions going overboard. An older woman who was screaming royalty and stood behind her, was trying to softly hold her back. Hebe managed a sad smile. "Please, Pria, we talked this over for the last couple of weeks. I want you to stay here with Mom. We can't take anyone else with us, life of a Senshi is just too dangerous for a normal…"

"I DON'T CARE! I TRAINED ALL THIS YEARS TO STAY WITH YOU! I HAVE SWORN TO PROTECT YOU! I… I…" Her voice trembled and her eyes pleaded with unrestrained pain that it made my heart lurch at the sheer amount of terror at the thought of separation. Hebe didn't dare to look her friend in the eye for several seconds and I was once again reminded of my mere observer status and what I would give to feel with her, to understand what exactly she was going through. I knew so little about the relationship Hebe had shared with the young elf, maybe experiencing their parting first hand could give me some clue of how to help Minako… Or was she blocking me on purpose?

*Not really on purpose, young one* I didn't look around because I simply knew there would be no one for my eyes to see. *She's just confused and emotionally torn. I'm surprised though that you managed to come here altogether. You don't see a such a talented dreamwalker every day.* I started to ask what exactly the definitely male voice meant by that or who by the Kami he was, however, I was intrigued once again by the scene in front of me.

Hebe and Priapos had reverted to quietly talking in tones that I could not hear from my position. Okay, mostly Hebe had done the talking while grabbing her friend's hands and locking their gazes in intense urgency. I wished once again, I could at least hear what they were saying but knew somehow that the conversation was not of immediate importance. Although as Priapos quietly nodded and pulled out an item of some sort, I got interested. Inching closer until I stood almost in the circle of onlookers, I got a good look on the item. It looked somehow like a thick and smooth, green tendril, maybe part of one of the various offspring of natures that blossomed all around me. There were little flowers of different colors on two sides, creating a rainbow effect, one in each direction. The thing itself was not really big or long, more of the size of a wristband if curled together as a bracelet.

"A Meshi…? You are not telling me this is…" Hebe trailed of in disbelief as she stared unblinking and frozen to the spot at the apparently significant object. Priapos simply nodded, with a sad but gentle and determined smile. "As it is fashion for kin sisters…" She paused and held up a sharp looking dagger with golden lining and an emerald blade. Before Hebe could finish her sound of protest, Priapos cut with quick accuracy through the Meshi, successfully parting the top half from its counterpart bottom one. "I present you with the essence of my mother spirit as a symbol for our everlasting friendship." With bowed head and dagger grasped tightly, she gave one half to Hebe, who could do nothing more than numbly accept the present.

There were no words exchanged as the two young children proceeded as in trance with all the elders around them holding their breaths. They pressed their two parts back together as Hebe took the dagger from Priapos and handed it over to a young man with white hair who simply nodded. Hebe and Priapos placed their palms atop each other on the Meshi and the white-haired man drew the dagger through their veins to cause some few drops of blood to fall on the significant object and some of it to mingle together.

I held my breath with probably everyone around me, not daring to speak, although I knew I was not really part of this memory. The two friends pulled away from each other, the Meshi halves now visibly linked by a thin line of crimson energy. "We are now linked by blood and the essence of life, sisters in all aspects of the being. Shall your journey be a good one, for I will ever be here, waiting for you, as long as the Meshi blooms…"

I somewhat expected something spectacular to happen, some great light show, some kind of spiritual experience… Nothing of this sort, however, happened as the two friends separated and Hebe turned away sharply with hidden, unshed tears in her eyes that she didn't want anyone to see. Even though I was not directly in her, I was still able to literally hear her heart breaking at leaving her long-time friend, trusted counselor and bodyguard - as well as now something akin to the human concept of blood sister - behind. She didn't want her friend to see, but glancing at Priapos, confirmed me that her attempts were futile.

"Goodbye..." Hebe whispered and walked away towards the ship, Priapos just following her with sad eyes. The young princess looked as if she would break down right on the spot and I couldn't just stand this anymore. She was feeling guilty for leaving her friend behind, for - even if unwillingly - neglecting her and I knew that feeling all too well. All too well.

With one hand reaching out to take one of the young princess', I was moving more on instinct than rational thought and never truly expected a reaction whatsoever. I was surprised when my hand not only made contact but young Hebe also looked up startled as if struck by a thunder bolt. Our eyes met and time seemed to actually freeze - and I am not talking about metaphors here. She reached up with her free hand, her half of the Meshi loosely hanging around her wrist, and touched my cheek gently with a confused but curious expression on her face. "I… know you…?" Her voice wavered, as did her features and in a sudden flash everything went white and I was about to experience something I would forget again for a long time…

(Intermission Memory Crystal Recording Senshi Venus)

The interruption of the memory dream came so sudden, I needed several moments to adjust to the new surroundings. I had half expected to encounter Hotaru somewhere in the dream, but as often during the experience, I had lost myself in the dream and every touch with reality. Hotaru's appearance came so suddenly it had sent my mind into utter confusion, before I was even vaguely able to recognize her. And then everything wavered and turned into a great sea of whiteness before returning to normal. I blinked my eyes several times to adjust my still blurry vision.

The atmosphere around me was cool and fresh, I could make out some sort of white and blue marble, big supporting pillars in a strangely familiar cross of Roman and Greek style… Then I became aware of several things at once. There were golden Crescent Moons engraved everywhere, as well as the planetary signs. Also I could clearly feel the presence of several others in the room that I could recognize on the spot because apart from the royal family of the Moon, no one radiated such a pure aura.

"Mother?" My head shot up at the sound and I turned slightly to identify that it indeed had been Usagi to my left - or better Princess Serenity - and what even surprised me more, even though it really shouldn't have, was that next to her stood Hotaru wearing a similar gown in deep violet reserved for the planetary princesses. A strong sense of authority made me revert my eyes back forward and I finally comprehended that we indeed were in the throne room of the Silver Palace of the old Moon Kingdom, returned to its old glory by the dreamscape or whatever we were currently in.

"The 'what' is actually a good question, Hebe," the woman in front of me that so strongly resembled my Princess with the silvery hair and the golden Crescent Moon insignia said. I knelt on reflex, bowing my head respectfully. "My Queen." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my mate doing the same, probably reacting on instinct alone. For all I knew, Queen Serenity radiated such an aura of power, authority and purity that would even make the proudest noble on Earth bow and Hotaru had proven to be rather sensitive to the spiritual plane. Although as I dared to look again, her eyes seemed a bit distant, as if she was not herself which was an experience I did know well myself.

"Why are we here, mother. What happened? I thought, I…" Usagi's voice made me turn my attention back to my Queen and Princess. The older woman silenced her daughter with a gesture and warm smile. "Your present incarnation still sleeps, child, and it won't be needed for now. But I had to summon you also, because you three share the same fate in the years to come." Usagi startled to be reminded of our presence, turned her head to shortly regard me with a smile and a nod, then looked startled at Hotaru but before she could ask a question, the Queen cut it again.

"Please rise, Princess Hebe and you too Rhea." We complied without hesitation but I was as much surprised at the title the Moon Goddess had addressed Hotaru with as Usagi or my mate herself. Sensing our confusion, the Queen swiftly stepped forward to stop in front of Hotaru and holding a hand up to her forehead. "You are troubled, dreamwalker, but fear not, your true self will reveal itself soon and you don't need to worry." As she took her hand away, Usagi and I let out shocked gasps. Shining brightly on the younger girls forehead, a violet symbol resembling a scythe appeared. The astrology sign of the planet of Saturn.

"No…" I breathed, shaking my head violently. "Kami, no…" Before the panic from the revelation could fully manifest, I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder and I almost didn't dare to look up in the serene eyes of the long passed woman. Queen Serenity regarded me with an almost painful soothing look and a reassuring smile. "You need not worry, Hebe, the presence of your mate is essential for the future fate of Earth and the presence within her will neither cause you problems nor herself." She stepped back to let her gaze wander over all three of us. Usagi was still casting glances from me to Hotaru and back, as if still trying to comprehend the implications she just learned - knowing her, she probably was.

Queen Serenity glanced up at the ceiling, her eyes glazing over slightly. "Before the Kingdom fell, I did have visions of the future. Of a time where all Senshi would be needed in order to uphold the peace. I had thought that the menace had passed as you annihilated the Dark Kingdom and that your spirits and even that of the Senshi of Saturn could rest in peace. But lately the darkness has returned and made its move. I was forced to act…"

"Do you mean that it was you who brought us together, Your Highness?" Hotaru asked almost meekly with respect. Serenity gave her an understanding smile and shook her head. "I merely arranged for you to meet. Your lives had reached a turning point with your first meeting and the opportunity presenting itself from this encounter was too fortunate to let it pass." Her expression became serious as she looked us straight in the eyes. "You three are the most powerful Senshi and planetary heirs of our time and all of you represent one of the attributes that constituting all beings of life and especially the human race. You, Princess, are the most powerful of them all with the strength of the soul, you Rhea are the strongest Senshi apart from the Princess, your powers lies in the mastery of the spirit which also allows you to dreamwalk like this." Her eyes softened as she turned to me and I felt an incredible warm feeling filling me from the inside. "You, Hebe, you possess the strength of the heart. Do never forget that and be true to yourself. Only if you do so, you will be able to save your loved ones." She reached out and took my hand. A bright light appeared above our joined palms and as the Queen let go a magnificent and beautiful stone of pure white floated down into my open hand. It was a crystalline tear, similar to the Ginzuishou but yet different. Its surface was smooth, not divided into many fragments as the Silver Crystal, giving the impression of an even stronger resemblance to a tear as Usagi's did. "The Venus Tear," I breathed in sudden recognition.

"Yes," Serenity answered softly. "Use it well, you will know when the time is right." Her eyes traveled back to Hotaru and she held out her hand to her, a silvery pendant with the form of an eight-pointed star rested in her open palm. "Hold this close to your heart. It will protect you from the demon inside of you until your true self awakens. As long as you are wearing this, no dark powers will be able to claim you…" She stopped and looked briefly, while Hotaru took the pendant with trembling hands, as if worried that she would break it upon contact. "It is time." I wanted to protest, but wisely didn't say anything, knowing from past experience how futile that was, although I really wanted to know more about this new menace and what exactly we were facing.

Serenity looked at us for a last time. "Do behold your true powers in your heart, together with the Prince who represents the body, you four are the center for our Kingdom to rise once again to its old glory and peace to remain." And with that, everything went white again. As I woke up, with my eyes meeting with violet ones, the second dream encounter had already vanished from my memory.

(Tome Hotaru's diary resumes)

When I first opened my eyes again, I felt as if bathed in a spring, reborn and practically glowing with the essence of life, although I had no idea why exactly that was. The last thing I remembered was the dream that had come to an abrupt end as I had tried to reach out to her. A nagging sense told me that there was more behind it and that I simply could not remember more than one significant detail. But I knew beyond a doubt that I was not supposed to feel that good. And while I stared into the blue eyes directly in front of me, I could tell without even reaching over our bond that Minako also felt strangely renewed. Come to think of it, I had no idea how we both came to lie cradled in each other's arms in the first place - not that I was complaining.

Neither of us dared to move, too relishing was the feeling of warmth and security the simple task of holding each other created. "What…" my girlfriend finally began with unblinking but wondering eyes. "… was that?" I finished with a smile but also rather confused. When I reflect on it now, my first Impression when I opened my eyes was probably of an infant, seeing the wonders of the world for the first time.

Minako tilted her head slightly and put one hand under her chin, glancing at me. "You are truly amazing, you know? How did you do that?" I knew she was referring to the major happiness factor pushed onto us at the moment and I could just shake my head in irritation myself why I proceeded to reluctantly sit up. "To tell you the truth, I have no idea, why I feel so good myself." Minako followed my lead and then took one of my hands, her eyes inquiring and curious. "You mean, you didn't do anything?" I shook my head again and told her that everything I remembered was being in her dream and the events taking place there - apart from the mysterious voice calling me "dreamwalker".

"Then who…?" Minako's question was cut short as she suddenly halted in mid-sentence by glancing downwards on the bed. I followed her gaze and found a silver pendant with an eight-pointed star that instantly drew my attention as did the other item to Minako. I held up the pendant and marveled at the beauty and fine craftsmanship. The object radiated a comforting feeling of peace I only knew from the energy of our bond. It quieted the darker side in me that had been awfully quiet anyway this past weeks since I met and hooked up with Minako. Without hesitation, I put it around my neck and felt instantly even better than before.

I was startled out of my own inspection of the pendant when Minako let out a short but shrill cry and recoiled as if burnt. Then I looked down again, I finally noticed the pure white, tear drop-shaped crystal lying on the covers of our bed and glowing in soft tones as if to soothe and reassure my agitated mate. On cue, Artemis burst into the room in a rare display of power - I mean come on, a cat who can slam open a closed door? He came to an abrupt halt as he jumped to us and was in the mid of demanding what happened, when he noticed the object of his partner's anxiety. To make it short, Artemis went into a fit as he saw what was later explained to me was the legendary Venus Tear, an object of near equal power compared to the mystical Ginzuishou. I guess, I can understand now, why they reacted so jumpy, learning how the Venus Tear had not been seen in millennia…

After we had repeated countless times that we had no idea what happened apart from the dream experience of Hebe's parting with Priapos - to which he wisely chose to simply give a sympathetic nod -, he finally gave up on trying to solve this mystery for now, just to launch into another full "questioning and lecturing tirade" when he finally caught sight of my pendant.

I learned that it was originally a Silver Millennium artifact designed to banish or simply ward evil spirits. Artemis became very serious telling me that I should keep it close to me no matter what and if at anyway possible concealed it from sight. Though I found it a waste to not show off the beautiful piece of art, I could only agree with the white cat for his caution. I know that he suspected - or even knew more than he let on - about my darker self and since the pendant had such a calming effect on it, I didn't want to have it seen by anyone who might attempt drawing this darker side of me out in the open. Therefore, I carry the thing now hidden under my clothing.

Back to the events. After we discussed the dream and the odd appearance of the objects a bit further - without noticeable success -, I decided that after the last night's events another day of relaxing was in order for Minako and me, while Artemis went to look into the matter of the Venus Tear and the pendant. Surprisingly, nothing much happened over the course of the next few days and I was able to bring Minako out of her misery and the shell she had hidden her emotions and feelings in. I wasn't even much surprised when I heard that Hebe and Priapos in their childish innocence had once or twice crossed the line of platonic friendship - nothing physical -, but nothing much had come out of it in the end. The two girls had been really fond of each other and I could master a general understanding of what such a deep friendship sometimes could do to young minds.

We were more surprised by the formal challenge lying on our bungalows front porch one morning. It was from Priapos and she wanted "to settle things with Hebe once and for all." Minako took it surprisingly calm - although I had no idea about Hebe - considering that she had made little to no progress with even activating the Venus Tear. But what she had been able to do was retrieve her piece of the Meshi. With that and the unspoken determination to not hurt but pull her past life friend back on the right side, she clearly indicated her approval of a confrontation.

That is where we stand now. Tomorrow we, and I insisted on that, would face whatever this confrontation would bring. I hope for Minako and Hebe's sake that she is able to somehow save her friend without the need to kill yet another victim of the constant war between good and evil. I really hope so.

Hotaru

If you wonder now what this thing that became as much a hassle as a help in future times is, well I might give you a brief update on the mystical Venus Tear which I also provided the teens at this time but sadly no one seemed it to be good enough to fit in their journals… Ah well. It probably was too much to remember in detail and… What, Hotaru-chan? Oh, ah, the point, right, hehe…

The Venus Tear, also called Weeping Unicorn is a creation from the founding years of the Silver Millennium. It was said to be the tear the first Queen of Venus shed at the loss of her firstborn in the Resurrection Wars. What were those about? The Resurrection Wars raged for centuries over the surface of Venus and below. In those years, the opposing races of the elemental elves fought against the dark ones. Order against Chaos, Life against Death, you all know how this works though I will refrain for several reasons at this point to clarify who was actually at fault, who was Good and who Evil.

The Dark Elves sought to resurrect a demonic entity which should promise them the power to claim the planet as theirs. The Queen I talked about earlier was not actually the very first Queen of Venus, but the one who would be known to history books by this title. The young ruler descended from a long line of rulers who tried to stabilize and balance things on the rogue planet. One day she and her young daughter came in between the two clashing forces. In this event, the princess was injured beyond rescue and died in the arms of her mother. Her heart was torn and unbelieving at the sheer violence displayed by both forces in the battle which made them equally responsible. She wept one tear of honest and open despair about the ill of the people she wanted to reunite and the utter futility of her tries that had caused her daughter to die. That tear would be known to later generations only as the legend that was the Venus Tear.

The legend told that the tear merged with the young princess' body and became her essence as much as the Ginzuishou so often does with its wielders. Through the power the tear manifested, the girl was brought back to life and the elves halted their battle as they witnessed this incredible miracle. Both races recognized the event as a sign for peace and better times to come, the first Queen of all Venus, accepted by everyone, was born from this day onward.

Her firstborn daughter though never continued her legacy, living her life unmarried and pure because the crystal tear and her own beliefs would allow her no less. The Queen's second daughter continued her line and her sister transferred a portion of the power of the Venus Tear into her, which led to the birth of the first Senshi of Venus.

The tear, however, was forever lost as the uncrowned princess died at a surprisingly normal age. The crystal vanished after her death and was never to be seen again. Up to this day of course.

(From the diary of Aino Minako)

Riding the clouds high up in the heaven and then dropping down in the deepest pits of hell.

That probably gets close to what I am feeling right now. Miserable isn't coming even close to describe it and that I did have better days than this one is a vast understatement. I thought after Hiroshi hurt me that nothing could ever tear at me so much again, because I would simply not let anyone close enough to do so… Yes, such dark thoughts had clouded my mind that day and I really did have any intention of going through with them. Until, yeah until a certain raven-haired girl dropped into my life and changed everything. She is now the center of my life, my confidence, my mate… And she's gone. Just like all the others… No, not really like the others because I plan on getting her back whatever it might take.

However, I should start at the beginning and for once this diary or journal or whatever you might call it, really begins to serve its purpose. If I don't calm down soon and get my thoughts in order, I end up doing something rash which will most likely get us all killed. Ok, calm now… I'll try at least because it's not really easy at the moment. Everything began this morning.

I was confident. For some strange reason I was totally confident about leaving this day victorious. I had the feeling deep down in my heart that whatever held control over my old friend and Hebe's kin sister, I could surely break it. No, I would surely break it. When the day was over, the old Priapos would be back and free from any evil influence. It would be ridiculous, if the Goddess of Love couldn't even save her best friend with the strength of her heart. Did I already mention that I was confident?

"Are you sure, that you'll be able to change her mind?" Oh, thank you, great confident girlfriend of mine, for doubting me. I gave Hotaru a mocking hurt look. As expected, she was quick to wave with her arms in an attempt for apologetic gestures. I put a hand on her shoulder and smile encouragingly. "Don't worry, Raven, I've got a plan." Well, an idea of a plan; more like the rough outline of a plan. But it would work, provided that I could actually master… No, no. No negative thoughts, it would work, I had to believe in myself as I always did. This confidence had returned and fueled even greater since Hotaru entered my life and I was going to prove that to her, to me and to my old friend Priapos. Yes, I considered her my friend, even though she mostly was Hebe's. Our personalities, however, had so closely touched over the course of the last week that I could not ignore the strong feelings that I harbored close to my heart. Also, I felt committed to Hebe in that matter. That was extremely important for my past life and I, on the other hand, had it enough with pointless deaths.

"I didn't mean to say that. She just seemed so sad…" Hotaru replied trailing off as she looked up. We had already arrived at our destination. An old mansion that was already half-destroyed, showing unmistakable signs of age. I pulled my girlfriend into a tight embrace and gave her a light but thrilling kiss on the lips, reassuring her as much as getting a last energy boost. "Trust me," I whispered softly. "And do what I tell you. Promise me that?" I was a bit uncomfortable about bringing Hotaru along to this open challenge. But she would not back down and I knew that. So I didn't put up much of a fight although I had a strange feeling in my gut that something would go terribly wrong… Otherwise, if anything, a formal challenge from an Efadio was even more honor-bound than a Samurai challenge. There just simply could not be any ulterior motives allowed. That ruled out the general "That's a trap". Which didn't mean that whomever was commanding her would hold true to the honor code of the warrior.

That is why I was relieved when Hotaru nodded quietly and caressed my cheek with one hand. "I promise." I did not know exactly what Priapos had planned for the both of us, but I was determined to set my own rules and direct the course of action and for that, I needed Hotaru to stay out of the way and safe. Reaching into subspace, I briefly brushed invisible fingers over the smooth surface of the Venus Tear before I pulled out the Meshi string, strapping it around my wrist.

"Artemis, whatever happens, stay with Hotaru and make sure that no one is back-stabbing us." Artemis nodded without any further word exchange. We had worked on the plan ever since we found the challenge letter on our doorstep. I really wished I had more time with the tear. I had made some progress but when it would really come to the last choice and I was forced to use it… Well, let's just say, I had no idea what would happen. As much as we found out was that the Venus Tear relied on the strength of the heart where the Ginzuishou responded more to the purity of the soul. And you could just not train a situation where you have to master all the strength of your heart. Also there was still the matter of how much restriction and limits the crystal provided.

Without further words, we proceeded into the mansion - or at least what was left of it. The inside seemed to be much more intact though, the walls high and a bit gloomy, crimson curtains and a huge old stairway going all the way up. Most of the effect was probably due to magic, but I really didn't care much about this now. My eyes went in all directions, searching intensely for signs of attack. I could sense Priapos in here, although I wasn't able to see her, yet. Elves were quite good at hiding and stealth, but she would not attack out of nowhere. At least not, if there was still something left of my old friend.

I stopped at the base of the stairway without looking up. I felt her watching us and I was tired of this game. She tried to test me with this, tried to make me insecure, however, I remembered most of my past life by now, including the endless hours of training with her usual tactics. "Come out, Priapos, there is no need for you to play this games with me anymore," I called out not necessarily shouting but with a clear voice. Sure enough we didn't have to wait long for the answer. "If you know so much, Hebe, why are you not here alone? This is just between you and me." Hotaru gripped my hand tightly but I did not falter in my resolve. "It is called caution, Pria, you taught me all about it. My mate and partner do know the rules and will not interfere as long as this is just between you and me."

Hotaru flinched slightly as Priapos appeared out of seemingly nowhere, good a dozen stairs over us; I simply stood my ground. The elf's face held a reserved smile. "Maybe there is still hope for you, old friend." Even though I didn't show it outwardly, inside I cringed at the emphasis. "I will never surrender to evil, Priapos. You should stop this maniacal nonsense now before one of us regrets it." My corrupted friend merely stared at me but did not reply.

I closed my eyes briefly and freed my hand from Hotaru's firm grip. She understood and stepped away with Artemis and I focused my attention on Priapos again. "It is a real shame it had to come to this." The elf nodded with a mixture of emotion that let my hopes rise up again. "Yes, a shame. As your former sensei and the one who made the challenge, you have to choose the form of combat." I took a deep breath. That was what I anticipated but also feared. My last chance at saving Priapos from whatever evil clouded her mind. "I challenge you to Ermado." Priapos twitched with an almost unnoticeable amount of nervousness. "A battle of the heart…"

"Winner decides the fate of the other," I confirmed with a nod. Priapos jumped down and I backed up a few steps to put some distance between us. The mansion was completely silently, there was no sound and we could even make out our own breathing over those of Hotaru and Artemis. None of us moved for a long time, as we examined our opponent. Priapos was determined and set in her belief that she was doing the right thing, that much I could tell. The battle of the heart was fought with willpower alone, the strength of the heart should determine whose intentions were the strongest. I did not have any doubt about my mission and my belief and I knew that Priapos had at least some about her own. The question was just how to use that to my advantage.

"We don't have to do this," I said at last, breaking the silence and gestured with my other hand at the Meshi string around my wrist. "Do you really want to fight your kin sister? Please, you must know deep down there that what you're doing is wrong." Priapos stared down at her own Meshi string which I had already spotted earlier and her resolve faltered for a moment before she slowly shook her head. "No… You… betrayed us by associating with our murders. If I cannot convince you on the errors of your way, I have to… kill you."

Energy crackled as her determination returned, but I had made my first point. If she really was so sure that I was doing the wrong thing here, she wouldn't have hesitated. A glowing green blade formed in her hands fueled by the power of her heart, but I could see the tiny layer of negative energy which made me even more cautious.

"Very well," I said and opened my hand, calling forth the Venus Tear. As expected I saw Priapos shocked and recoiling from the brief flash of intense light. "How…? You have the Venus Tear?" I smiled a not so sweetly smile, falling into the old battle routine of mocking to discourage my opponent. "Yes." Concentrating all the confidence I had gathered since this morning, I focused it on the crystal in my hand all the while thinking of my single goal, to rescue my kin sister. The Venus Tear responded in kind as it flashed brightly and stretched in four different directions, forming an irregular cross of four small but sharp and powerful crystal blades, crackling with pure white light. Not exactly what I had expected, but it would have to do.

"Interesting." Priapos commented thoughtfully. She had caught herself once again and brought her blade in an offensive position. "Let's see if you can control the ancient crystal as good as you try to convince me." With that, she shot forward and I was forced backwards a few steps under her vicious assault until I managed to meet her maneuvers with equal speed, strength and skill. Both of us tried to press the advantage but neither of us gave ground. Heavy amounts of force were unleashed all around us and I gritted my teeth at the incredible pressure between us. With a flash, the force pushed us backwards a couple of feet.

I didn't relax, my breathing still controlled and without any trace of physical strain. What made me a bit more weary was controlling the transformed Tear. I wondered how Serenity could stand to use the Ginzuishou on a semi-frequent basis, the power was so enormous, I feared it would crush me and the whole planet in one brief moment. I think the Ginzuishou had a few regulations though, after all the Silver Crystal was said to be magically forged by Selene to focus her powers in the mortal realm and a focus it was mostly. The Venus Tear however had no such regulations. Its power could be fully tapped by a capable wielder, but it was far more difficult to control this almost unlimited power without having some safeguards which would prevent you from overdoing it.

Apart from that, I think I had a slight advantage. I studied my enemy closely and scanned the level of will power Priapos' blade emitted. Priapos skill was still as flawless as ever and if it would come down to it, she might have me pinned down by now. I know that I was not used to weapon fighting anymore as I used to be in the days Hebe and Priapos used to spar and train together. Still, the standstill I had fought the elf down to proved that I balanced her somewhat superior skill with the better weapon fueled by greater willpower. And judging from what Hebe's memories provided about her friend - which was fairly much - I think she knew this too.

As if to prove my previous analyses, Priapos rushed in again in a heated assault, fueled by desperation and the realization that she needed a quick victory. Though… that wasn't the idea behind the Ermado, the ancient Battle of the Heart, skill would not determine the winner and therefore I didn't falter or lose my confidence under the fury of my kin sister's attack. I let Hebe guide my motions and reflexes as I parried stroke for stroke, thrust for thrust of Priapos' blade with my own cross-blades. When I finally attacked, I reacted on instinct alone. I knew she would not surrender, nor would she listen to reason and I could not heal her with the Tear alone. The now crystal weapon was not designed to heal, not entirely anyway and I wasn't sure how to, even if I knew it could work. That left me with one possibility.

Dodging a right feinted strike, I was right in her defense. The Venus Tear was a whirlwind of motion, sparkling like a white disc. Forgive me, I silently prayed and was not sure if it was Hebe or me. The disc struck with a tearing noise at the underside of her wrist as I passed her by. Over the shoulder I could see Priapos halt in her tracks not so much from inflicted pain than from shocked disbelief, looking down at the ground and her wrist where previously the Meshi string used to be.

The blade fell from her hands and dissolved into nothingness. A brief and eerie silence filled the chamber once again before Priapos collapsed to her knees shaking and all the time staring at the burned piece that had once been the most precious thing shared between us. When the Meshi broke I felt a brief pain in my heart and soul but it vanished very quickly. The bond was shattered, not entirely broken but shattered into million tiny pieces.

Sighing, I finally let the blades dissolve back into the Venus Tear and send it away into subspace once again. I felt terribly for doing this, even if it was the only way to win. And even though I thought I lost her because just looking at the sobbing elf on the ground, I felt my heart cry out in pain. Tentatively, I stepped forward to comfort my former kin sister and jumped back as she looked up sharply and her eyes blazed with hot fury and angry tears of deception. I was surprised to see her aura once again flare brightly, this time clearly tainted with black.

"It is true after all," she hissed and I actually flinched at the venom in her voice. "Adonis was right all the way. It is always your mission, isn't it? Your precious Queen and Princess over everyone. If it comes down to it, it's always them, right? I bet you laughed at me back then for crying and not wanting to let you go! Well, that's over now, we are no longer friends and maybe I should tell you THAT I ALWAYS HATED YOU!"

With the last scream of despair, the elf shot forward palms outstretched and energy crackling in her fingertips. I could not move; I could not speak; I could not react. My fingers were inches away from drawing the Venus Tear back out of subspace to defend myself but Priapos' words had paralyzed me. Though I knew very well that she didn't mean her last comment, the other things struck all the more. Sharp, painful stabs right through the heart. Had I really been so foolish? Had I not shown more attention to my kin sister? Had I ever given her the impression that I cared more about my mission than her? You should look happier. Now you can go on living, without having to torment yourself over the ultimate choice, your love or your duty. Your fate is to continue fighting, Adonis' parting words flashed through my mind once again.

"Matte!" Hotaru's voice rang into the hissing noise of discharging energy. It wasn't loud or desperate or anything for that matter that should be expected, but it bared a commanding tone so powerful even the rage-blinded elf could not resist. Priapos skidded to a halt and looked in my mate's direction as did I. I think she must have caught something that made her stumble backwards in such terror because everything I caught was the brief flashing of the strange aura Artemis and I had encountered before.

"I saw in her dream. I saw the pain, the grief and the frustration about losing your friendship to her superior duty. You know deep down that none of this is either my and Minako's fault nor is it Hebe's," Hotaru said calmly without any trace of fear. Her eyes were gentle but determined at the same time and I saw Priapos shaking under her gaze, although I could not tell if that was due to my mate's doing or what my former kin sister had seen before. "Hebe loves you, as much as Minako does and is willing to do. Let yourself not be blinded by your fear because fear is good for caution, but not to a point where it turns to panic and clouds your mind. Believe me, I know how it feels to feel betrayed, accused and how it is to lose the only family you ever had. Onegai… Don't blame Minako or Hebe or me, she cares for you so much, you…"

Hotaru didn't manage to finish the sentence as Priapos, without warning, turned away from me and the energy returned into one open hand. "Shut up! How do you know? How can you say, you understand me? You're just like Venus, all the same, the only thing that matters to you is your mission and those you've sworn to protect and love! And how should an Earth girl of all people know how it feels? HOW?" With that she flung the gathered energy in Hotaru's direction, but with a speed that surprised even me, I intercepted the blast by thrusting one single object in its destructive path…

(Memory Crystal Recording Artemis)

As the blast raced our way, I don't think I would have been able to do anything about it in order to defend Hotaru, even if I jumped right into its path. The attack fueled by such strong negative emotions would have simply pierced right through me. The chances if I let it continue onward and hope for Saturn to deflect it from her host were probably much higher for both of us to survive. The realization that it was definitely the Senshi of Silence sleeping in Hotaru's body was a mild comfort - if you could actually speak about comfort, discovering your charge's girlfriend was the reborn version of the most destructive Senshi in the whole universe. With the danger heading our way and the only random manifestation of her power…

We didn't have to worry about this though as I caught the flash of something intercepting the energy blast and stared in amazed realization as the energy collided with the Meshi string - the mystical power of the elfin bonding symbol canceling out Priapos' own. I finally understood what exactly Minako tried to achieve with this. The nature elves of Venus were partly dryad, not fully but all of them were linked to special trees that only grew on Venus and some remote regions of other planets. The Meshi were kind of guardian spirits and the particular one symbolized family, clan, origin and status. To bring a branch of the mystical tree and present it to another was, as if to give a part of your own life essence away. The gesture was a sacrilege known to all races. By cutting off Priapos' half Venus had shown what she was willing to do, but she also clearly brought the message that she just intended to help Priapos and would even go that far. Priapos' mind might be clouded by rage and fear but deep down she knew that.

So I thought the following outcome only reasonable. As the smoke and backlash from the power ceased and I opened my eyes again after the blinding flash of energy, Venus was standing in front of us, Venus Tear raced again and shaped into the form of a massive shield, the Meshi string fell down to the ground, fried and drained of all energy, the flowers on its side withering. Priapos stared in abject shock and outright disbelief at the fallen piece, than down to her own and back to Venus', before her eyes focused on my partner. "Why?" she breathed, her voice barely above a whisper, as a look of incredulous realization passed over her features. "You are willing to sacrifice the last remaining straw of our friendship for her? Do you love her so much?"

"Yes. She is my everything," Venus replied sincerely and may the gods cry out in outrage, may the underworld stream freeze over or the sun cease to shine, I don't think, I ever heard my partner declare something with that sincerity. And Priapos made the same conclusion as I did before. Aino Minako, Sailorvenus and even Princess Hebe truly, honestly loved Tomoe Hotaru and not even the revelation about her sleeping identity would… no, could ever change that.

With a defeated sigh and downcast eyes, Priapos sank to her knees and hung her head low. "Then by the rules of the Ermado, I yield. Senshi Venus has proven to be my better and my fate lies now in her hands." The proud Efadio kneeled there without motion and never lifted her eyes from the ground.

Venus deactivated the crystal but kept it in one hand as she slowly walked towards her fallen once kin sister. Standing before the defeated Priapos, she began glowing a bright orange, accompanied by a flash of white and in her place stood Princess Hebe. "Look at me, Pria," she demanded softly while laying a hand on the elf's shoulder. As the trembling warrior met the Princess's gaze, tears glittered in her eyes. "I just want you to be my sister again." With that, she lifted her hand from Priapos shoulder and the two shredded Meshi strings floated towards her. Upon contact, the Venus Tear gave another bright flash of white and both parts were restored to their former strength and bloom. Priapos watched in wonder as Hebe picked Priapos' string and bound it around the elf's wrist once again but she didn't resist and a small, genuine smile slowly began forming as Hebe handed her the other string. Priapos reached up and took the other girl's wrist to place the string around it. And as soon as this was done a wave of incredible white magic surged forward and engulfed first her and then both of them. Hebe leaned forward to embraced her now renewed kin sister and Priapos did not hesitate to do likewise.

I looked up at Hotaru with a smile on my face at this good ending and saw her face radiating a similar happiness though much stronger since she was surely sharing Hebe's emotion over the bond. I think she started to say something but never got the opportunity.

(Hotaru)

The bond was barely able to hold that much emotional love that poured through it as the white light from the Venus Tear and the reunited Meshis engulfed the two friends. It was not possible to separate Minako from her past personality at the moment but that didn't surprise me. As much as many of this was Hebe's doing and her feelings, Minako had also become very attached to the matter of the elf over the last days. For her where was no difference, if Priapos had been Hebe's best friend and kin sister or hers because just as Hebe said at the festival, they were one human being now and nobody controlled the other. It was Minako's life now, which didn't mean that Hebe wasn't allowed to take part in it. That Minako took as much responsibility for Priapos as Hebe did just proved that the princess had been right after all.

I smiled at the scene before me, happy that they had found each other again. For Minako deserved only the best with all the years of pain and heartache, not knowing what to do with her life. Every true friend she gained who wasn't a Senshi was an achievement and a testament that this Adonis guy was an awful fool for thinking that her mission was the only thing that was of value for my girlfriend. I also knew all too well as I said earlier to Priapos how it felt like to be in the elf's position - although it still was beyond me how I had mastered the courage. Maybe once I would be able to make my own peace with the past, but for now every happiness Minako gained would be my happiness.

I intended to say something to Artemis, but was silenced into shock as an energy bolt came crashing down on the reunited friends. My mate reacted again with unbelievable speed and brought up a shield around them with the Venus Tear. Unfortunately, mostly for me, that first attack was just a feint to divert attention… from me. A terrified scream sprang from my lips as I was suddenly yanked upwards by strong hands and a firm grip. I struggled but to no avail, my captor was strong and unyielding. I tried to turn my head and get a look at whoever was holding me, but was met with another sharp pain as the person pressed down hard on my neck keeping me in the helpless and utterly clueless position I was in.

Minako, however, was not so clueless as she spun around at the moment my scream shook the old mansion to the core and Priapos jumped clear in a ready position, energy blade in hand. "You?" she breathed unbelieving and a sinking feeling in my chest told me that I would not like the revelation of my captor. "Why, yes, you seem surprised, Venus. A real shame that you had to be so thickheaded," a male voice responded. "And you, Priapos, I had such great hope for you. I really thought that you could convince your own kin sister. But then again… you always used to come running when she called you." The man tightened his grip and I began feeling dizzy. "At least I'm taking this little price with me. I believe she will be awfully useful."

"Why you…" Priapos started angry flames of energy crackling around her but that was nothing compared to the shout of outrage which I was sure could have brought the ancient building to collapse. It was an almost female growl or maybe a roar. "ADONIS!" The Venus Tear flared brightly while I still had to comprehend this information. I wasn't given time to, as Venus jumped right up from the ground, a long, crackling, white blade in both hands almost like a whip. "YOU WON'T GET HER! DO YOU HEAR ME, I WILL NOT LET YOU!!!" My eyes met hers for the briefest moment as I saw terror, a certain amount of helplessness and heart-wrenching fear of losing me battling against determination and confidence. That was the last thing I saw before the world turned black.

(Aino Minako's Diary Resumes)

It is amazing how things, when you think that you're on top of heaven itself, can come crushing down with a strong force and remind you all too well of the harsh and often cold reality that is the mortal world. Not even to begin to speak of the daily reality of a Senshi. As I saw Hotaru there in Adonis' grip, I felt like dying and I mean that literally. Scenes flashed before my mind's eye. Of Hotaru and I, the wonderful, but yet, so short time we had shared and an icy fear gripped me at the same moment as fierce determination set in. I was torn between terrified and enraged and barely acknowledged the impossible fact that Adonis had already died… twice. I had seen it myself and yet that wasn't of importance. The man who could practically have jumped right out of a Greek hero myths had my Hotaru and was intending on taking her away from me, a concept neither I or Hebe could tolerate.

I leapt at him with a cry of outrageous fury, knowing deep down that if I did not act immediately that I might lose Hotaru forever. Pouring all my remaining power into the Venus Tear, I sailed down on the Dark Kingdom agent without any sign of mercy. He had crossed the line and for that he would pay. Also, I was sure the Tear would not hurt Hotaru - I just knew it. I tore even more confidence and power from seeing Hotaru so scared and her eyes pleading with me and I was sure I could pull it of. That for once everything would go right. I should have known better.

Inches away from meeting my opponent head on with the now several feet long blade-lash, I caught Adonis smiling cruelly which disturbed a sufficient part of me and he vanished, Hotaru still held tightly in his grip. With an agonized scream of denial, I crashed right into the ground, the Venus Tear slicing through marble and the light exploding in shards of crystal while all around us the remains of the mansion finally gave way to the strain of age and collapsed.

I guess, I barely registered anything at this time and can you blame me? It had all gone so quick and I was still trying to understand what exactly happened. The only thing I knew for sure is that Hotaru was gone, taken by the hands of an enemy and seemingly unreachable. My love, my confidence, my center, the person who hade so greatly effected my life and made my days a whole lot brighter, my soul mate… was… gone.

The information just began to sink in and I was totally oblivious to the outside world or my kin sister trying to comfort me. Priapos… I had just been able to save her. Was that the price? Was it my fault... again? Why hadn't I been on my guard, why had I let Hotaru come in the first place? I should have known something would happen. Years of experience as a Senshi and I was not able to take the necessary steps to ensure the safety of the one person I ever really cared for more than Serenity, my mission or my fate. The one person that made all the difference and for whom I was willing to sacrifice anything. I had failed her. Crying this out to the heavens in a roar, that was probably heard from Luna back in Japan, did not help much other then sending me into almost relieving unconsciousness.

I woke up a few hours later in the presence of Artemis, Priapos and Kathryn, who I really should have taken along. My kin sister immediately launched into a fit of self-accusing but as I was, I could not really be angry with her. Not anymore. They left me alone soon after I made clear I was physically fine and would need time to be alone. It has helped tremendously to know that although Priapos may not really know where exactly to find Adonis, but that she has a general idea. That really lifts my spirits a bit, even if it is barely noticeable.

I just wonder if I will ever see my Raven again and I wonder where all the confidence has gone too. This morning I had felt so determine to leave this day victorious, that with Hotaru at my side nothing could ever stop me. Oh, what a baka I have been for being so overly self-confident. Hotaru was gone and I am defeated although I earned a victory.

Tomorrow we'll start planning on how to get Hotaru back.

Minako

I closed my diary with a heavy sigh and stood up to walk over to the window. Writing all this down was a strain, but it calmed me somewhat. I had made a terrible mistake but it didn't help either me or Hotaru when I was falling into despair and blaming myself for what had happened again. I gazed up at the pale moon spending its dim silvery glow. My thoughts briefly wandered to Usagi and for the first time ever, I understood what she had gone through as the Dark Kingdom had taken Mamoru right out of her arms. I knew the feeling now and it never stopped to hurt…

Sitting cross-legged on the ground and bathing in the light that had sent us so much strength and comfort in the past, I concentrated back on my long-time home and my mate who was somewhere out there, facing unimaginable torment by a man I had once thought that I loved, who I knew loved me to the point of blind jealousy and a man who I had witnessed dying… twice. What else could go wrong?

But I should better not tempt fate. Instead I let my head fall forward, my hands folded and I did the only thing I thought helpful at the moment. I prayed to Selene, the Venus Tear glowing softly in response.

Well that is about everything for now. I had ended up in what was normally reversed as Mamoru-san's role and Minako was on the verge of breaking. The final conclusion to our adventures in England will come in the next issue but for now I'm tired.

Saturn

Author's Note

That took me longer than anticipated after I finished with the first release for my group so quickly. But I think, it is better slow and good than quick and bad, right?

I have actually not much to say about this chapter. A couple of new ideas and elements, yeah, which I mostly created from my own beliefs, experiences and ideas I picked up along the way. What is this dreamwalker business is all about? Well, you have to wait… a very long time for me to further explain, draw your own conclusions for now.

I will get back to the Venus Tear in the next Volume and there also will be a bit more about Priapos (everyone with Greek Mythology resources, look the name up, if you want).

Ja ne, yours

Matthias