Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A wavering of the heart ❯ chapter 1 ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

All chapters are re-written, improved grammar, better sounding, versions of the originals. Here and there I've changed things so that the story flows better. If you are a member of the crowd that has read the original it'll be familiar, and if ur new… well then I hope you enjoy. ^_^ (n I'm going to be posting this in 5 chapter sections, and quickly as it is merely a re-write)

And now, it is my pleasure to present:

A Wavering Of The Heart

By Sugargurl

Chapter 1: Holidays draw near


The young man sat at his desk trying desperately to focus his thoughts on his work, but without much success.

You see, his mind was constantly straying to thoughts of a certain petite, blue eyed, blonde haired girl, one that resolutely refused to leave him in peace. He sighed in defeat as he stood up from where his text books lay strewn across the desk to cross the small room he shared with Kevin his roommate. Once there he sat down upon his neatly made bed and reached into the top drawer of the nightstand to pull out a shoebox. A wistful smile blossomed upon his handsome face as he opened it to pull out a golden heart shaped locket, and a photo album.
"Usako…." He breathed, as he looked longingly at the picture on the front of the album, before reaching to open the locket. The locket's sweet melody soon filled the room, making the man smile as the history of the seemingly insignifigant item flooded his senses, for it was a symbol of a romance which had managed to survive for over a millennia.

He sat in silence for a bit, before he was jerked from his revere by the sound of a door opening, followed by foot steps.
"Hey, Dare. You in here?" a brown haired green-eyed young man asked as he walked into the main room.

"I'm in my bedroom 'Kev" 'Dare' as he had been affectionately dubbed by his new, American, friends responded from where he was on the bed.

Hearing his reply Kevin wandered towards the bedroom and leaned casually in the doorway as he asked his room mate,

"since you're not studying do you want to come Babe hunting with me?"
The raven haired man on the bed rolled his eyes, as he turned to face him and said, "I can't…"
"What's with you man?" Kevin asked. They had been roommates for just under a month and he still knew very little about his Japanese roommate, except that he wanted to be a doctor, his Japanese name was Mamoru, and that his English name was Darien.
"Are you Gay or something?" then worried that his friend may take offense continued, "I mean, if you are that's cool and all…
Darien laughed, "No, Kev I'm not Gay" he answered truthfully, "I just can't go 'babe hunting'."
"Okay, so you're sure that you're not gay, and by the way girls look at you here they must find you attractive, but you're not willing to go hunt for girls?" He paused then for a moment as he thought, "hmm… don't tell me you're the man of steel and don't experience the raging hormones because I've seen you turn your head to look."

then in a flash of inspiration it hit him. (or it could have been that he finally noticed the cover of the album that Dar was holding)

"You've got a girlfriend back home?"
"Yup!" Darien replied with a smile, hoping that the discussion would end there.
Unfortunately for him, Kevin wasn't going to let it drop,

"Oook then buddy, listen to your good friend Kev." He began moving to sit directly across from his room mate,

"you're going to be here for another what, 2 years? And by the look on your face you plan to stay celebate? Come on! cut loose, have some fun, think of the possibilities" he pleaded, "I mean the girl is thousands of miles away for heaven's sake! How do you even know that she's still going to be the one at the end of all that time?"
Darien just shook his head knowing that Kevin would never understand and repeated, "I just can't"
"Fine, fine. You win… I give up on the condition that you at least come with me every now and then; being cooped up studying isn't healthy."

"Yea, I guess I could come" the raven haired man reluctantly agreed,

"Oh, and one more thing, could you at least let me see a picture of her…" Kevin stated standing to sit beside his buddy on the bed.

Darien sighed, and handed over the photo album. Listening to his sharp intake of breath before Kev exclaimed,

"I didn't know girls in Tokyo were that pretty!" before demanding, "Now which one is this girl of yours?"
Darien laughed and opened the book turned to his favourite picture. It was the one taken last Valentines' Day; of the pair of them under the moonlight by the lake. Usagi was wearing a pure white dress that hugged her 17year old figure to perfection, her long blonde hair was loose, and her eyes beautiful cornflower blue eyes were shining, against pale skin light almost entirely by moonlight. In her hands she held one of his perfect thorn-less roses.
"shit, she's gorgeous" Kevin stated, trying hard not to drool all over the picture.
"Now do you understand?" Darien softly questioned.
"Perfectly, If she wasn't your girl I think I'd make a move on her myself!" both men collapsed into a fit of companionable laughter.
"Hey, Mr. Heart breaker let's head to the party, and make some more women fall in love with you…" Kevin teased, and still laughing Darien agreed, silently thinking 'he acts so much like Motoki'

********


On the other side of the world the subject of their conversation was counting off the days until Christmas holidays,

"Hmmm…. Three more weeks of school…then three weeks of holidays!" the blonde thought outloud as she walked out of the school thinking of her plans to travel to America in order to "check out Universities" and of course to see her beloved boyfriend.
"Hi Ami!" the girl exclaimed as she spotted her friend.
"Oh, hi Usagi-chan" Ami replied looking up from her biology textbook….
"Only three more weeks of school until Christmas break!" Usagi cheered.
"Mmmm…" came Ami's unhearing response, before she looked up yet again realizing that she was being rude, "sorry, What was that?"
"A~mi!" Usgai whined causing the poor girl to wince, "school is out in three weeks, and I was wondering if….you'd like to come to America with me?"

At the mention of the word America Ami's head shot up, her eyes focused intently upon the blonde,
"WHAT?! Go to America with you?"
"that's what I said" the other girl confirmed, "my aunt has a house just outside of New York and I was kind of wondering if you'd like to come with me"
"I'll have to ask my mom" she trailed off before continuing, "but it does sound educational"
"Ewww Ami, I think u mean FUN!" Usagi corrected running off to catch up with Makoto, whom had just exited the home economics room.
'Ok, One down, only 3 more to go!' Usagi thought to herself….

--- Back in the US ---
The party was going in full swing by the time Darien and Kevin had arrived… Girls were everywhere, checking the pair out as they entered the room. One girl in particular, a slim raven haired beauty, with emerald green eyes, was particularly attracted to him, and when Darien saw her, he felt a feeling in the pit of his stomach which he had only experienced once before in his life….the day he met his Usako.