Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and War ❯ Of Love and Mystery ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Ok, now we skip into the future a few years, all of their relative ages are listed below again. Anja.
Selenity 12
Venus 12 (a little older than Selenity)
Helen 14
Kinotsu 17
Mercury 13
Mars 15
Jupiter 16
Paris 15 (younger than Mars)

Chapter 3 ~ Of Love and Mystery



"Venus, come on! Please tell me!" Helen whined as she, Venus, and Selenity were preparing for the ball. Venus giggled, but shook her head.

Selenity rolled her eyes, but smiled at her friends. "You forget Helen," Selenity mimicked Venus in an overly formal, high pitched voice, "I cannot reveal the matters of another's heart to anyone without their direct permission." She giggled as she gazed at Helen who was now bouncing up and down in front of Venus.

Venus shot Selenity a glare, but that didn't last long once she focused her attention back to the 14 year old girl bouncing up and down, her dark hair flying all over the place. Although Venus was two years younger than Helen, she was just as tall as the older girl. She placed her hands on Helen's shoulders. "Calm yourself." She said.

Helen crossed her arms across her chest and plopped down on the bed. "It's not fair. How come Venus can see love and we can't?" she pouted.

Venus laughed. "It's because I am Venus, daughter of Aphrodite. That is my special ability."

Helen rolled her eyes as she fell backwards onto the bed so that she was stretched out on it. Selenity came over and bounced onto the bed beside Helen and looked down at the older girl. "Don't worry Helen, if he likes you, he'll tell you. Although I don't see why you would want a boy being all mushy with you." She couldn't help adding in the last comment.

Helen laughed at Selenity. Just you wait Selenity, just you wait, soon enough you'll see how nice it is for a boy to be 'mushy' with you, she thought to herself.

Selenity started to bounce up and down, making Helen bounce too. "Come on, we should go now! We're missing all the fun!"

Helen laughed as she sat up and got off the bed, followed by Selenity. The three girls linked arms as they walked down the hall to the ballroom. Venus looked down at Helen and grinned. "I can tell you how you feel though!" she whispered.

Selenity and Venus watched with amusement as Helen's face turned a bright pink. "Now I'm glad you can't tell anyone else, otherwise you would have already blabbered everything to him," she said, her voice sounding a little high pitched.

Venus gave her an evil grin. "I can't tell him anything you have not told me, that's true. However, there's nothing stopping me from telling him what you've told me. Even Selenity could do that!"

Helen paled at Venus' comment. "You wouldn't!" she gasped.

Venus chuckled. "I promise I won't talk to him in the near future," she answered, and Helen looked a little relieved. Venus looked at Selenity who was on the other side of Helen. The two 12 years old winked at each other. I just don't need to mention that Selenity and I have already talked to him, Venus though to herself.

She's going to murder us when she finds out, was the only thought running through Selenity's mind.

They entered the ballroom and dropped arms, wanting to look 'proper.' They walked down the stairs leading into the ballroom, heads held high, their movements precisely calculated. As soon as they hit the floor and were part of the crowd, Venus and Selenity started to giggle. They walked over to the tables filled with food and drinks, and each took a goblet of juice.

Venus sighed dreamily as she put down her goblet and looked into the dancing crowd. "What?" Helen asked anxiously, her eyes scanning the crowed.

Venus smiled at her. "No, I did not just see 'him'," she said, making Helen blush again. She looked back out into the crowd. "I saw Jupiter and that girl he's interested in. Ahh, the love." She sighed and clasped her hands together in front of her chest as she looked happily into the crowd.

Selenity rolled her eyes and Helen laughed. They made their way over to where the chairs were set up for the royal families. Helen's shoulders slumped a little when she didn't see him there.

Across the ballroom, four boys were standing, whispering to each other.

"Come on, you have to!" Mars urged.

Paris blushed and looked at his feet. "I don't want to though," he said quietly.

Mercury grinned at him. "Right, and we soooo believe you," he said cheekily. Paris looked at him, but the tinge of red on his cheeks would not leave. "Come on, I'll even go with you and ask Venus to dance with me so it's not so awkward."

Paris looked back down. Kino nudged him. "Come on, you know she's not going to say no." Kino could have sworn he saw the corners of Paris' lips twitch, as though he wanted to smile. Then the boys noticed a girl approach them. They looked up. She couldn't be more than thirteen, with dark black hair and stunning green eyes.

She looked shyly at Mars. "Uhh..w-would you like to dance?" she asked, sounding rather nervous.

All of the boys had to work hard to keep their laughter and snickers in. Mars blushed as he looked at Paris. He knew he would never hear the end of it from Paris if he didn't go and dance with the girl, but still forced Paris to dance with Helen. So he nodded his head slowly. "Sure," he said as he held out his hand for her. She accepted it, looking rather relieved that she had not been turned down.

Paris turned his attention from the exiting Mars to the boys still around him. "I'll ask Helen to dance, and Mercury, you said you would ask Venus. Now Kino, who will you dance with?"

Kino shrugged his shoulders. "I'll ask Selenity. It wouldn't be fair if she was the only one not dancing."

Paris nodded his head and the three boys headed to the group of girls. Venus sensed them first and spun her head around. She smiled and looked at Helen. "Helen, your Prince in Shining Armour approaches," she said.

Helen turned her head to see, and right away a streak of blush lit her face. Mercury approached Venus first. "Would the fair Venus give me the pleasure of a dance?" he asked smoothly.

Venus smiled as she curtsied quickly. "Of course-uh…I mean, the pleasure would be mine!" With that she accepted his arm and he led her to the dance floor.

Kino and Selenity watched Paris and Helen with some amusement as they stood there, looking anywhere but at each other, both blushing.

"Uhhh….H-Helen, w-would you d-dance with me?" Paris finally managed to say. Kino tried to hide his laughter behind a cough. Paris shot him a glare.

"S-sure. I'd love to," Helen replied, her voice shaking equally as much as Paris'. Even with the agreement made that they would dance, neither one made a move. Selenity finally nudged Helen a little from behind, making her come closer to Paris. He noticed the movement and lifted his gaze, incidentally at the same moment as Helen raised hers. They found themselves staring into each other's eyes, blushing even more now. Paris slowly smiled, and finally held out his arm, which Helen accepted with her own little smile on her face.

Selenity and Kino watched the two blended into the dancing crowd before they started to laugh.

"I thought that they would never get out on the dance floor!" Selenity said in-between giggles.

Kino chuckled. "I know what you mean. I'm just glad that you and Venus talked to him, otherwise he would still be moping on the other side of the hall, fearing rejection."

Selenity smiled at Kino. He gazed down at her, and bowed. "Would the pretty Lady give me the honour of a dance?" he asked as graciously as he could.

Selenity giggled, but went along with the game. "I thought, good Sir, that you would never ask," she said in a very formal, equally gracious voice. He chuckled again as he held out his arm, which she accepted, and swept her onto the dance floor.

He was much taller than her, and her head came up to just above where his ribs started. The music was fast, and didn't allow for much talking. Once the song ended, Kino led Selenity back to the edge of the crowd. She was beaming. "That was fun!" she said in-between breaths.

He laughed. "Of course it was. I had to lift you into the air at least half a dozen times!"

She smiled up at him. They both sat in the chairs. They were soon joined by Jupiter and his girl. "Kinotsu, Selenity, meet Hera. She's from one of our friendly, neighbouring galaxies," he said, never once letting his eyes leave her face.

Hera smiled at Kino and Selenity. "It's so nice to meet you. Jupiter can't stop talking about you and your group of friends," she said, making Jupiter blush a little.

Kino stood and bowed to her. "It's a pleasure to meet the lady that has kept Jupiter from us all evening thus far," he said.

Hera smiled at him gently. "I apologize if you had previous arrangements with him, which he did not tell me about."

Kino laughed and Jupiter blushed, neither one missing the teasing tone in Hera's voice. "No, we had none, I assure you. At least none that were more important than you, fair lady," he said.

Hera blushed as she looked at him. Jupiter chuckled. "Come, let us dance again before Kinotsu here charms you away form me," he said good-naturedly. Hera laughed, a musical, tinkling laugh, and followed Jupiter onto the dance floor.

Selenity had watched all of this with a confused fascination. "Where did you learn to talk like that?" she exclaimed as soon as Jupiter and Hera were well out of earshot.

Kino laughed. "At court. It's not too difficult."

She smiled at him. "How come you never talk to me like that?" she asked.

He chuckled. "I know you well, and we're friends. We don't have to be so formal."

Selenity smiled. "I thought it was kind of interesting. Could you teach me?" she asked.

Kino blushed a little. "You'll be taught soon enough Selenity. It's your mother's choice when she starts to introduce you to court life," he said, hoping that she wouldn't press the subject further.

She just giggled. "Ok, I'll ask Mama about it." She then held out her hand. "Come on, dance with me again!"

He smiled at her fondly. "My Princess, nothing would give me greater pleasure than dancing with the most beautiful lady in the room," he said as he swept her a bow. Selenity stared at him for a moment, wide eyed, before she gave way to giggling again. He smiled at her. "Did I say something wrong?" he asked.

She shook her head. "No, it's just I'm not used to hearing you talk like that."

He chuckled and took her hand, leading her out onto the dance floor. As they started the dance, a very slow melody, Kino noticed Helen sitting alone at one of the walls, looking a little sad. He wanted to go to her to see if she was alright, but then he noticed another figure approaching her. He smiled to himself, and though it best if he didn't approach her just now.

Helen sat on the chair, looking down at her hands in her lap.

He left so quickly after the dance. I shouldn't be surprised, it's not like he has feelings for me. Still….she let her thoughts trail off as a new song started a slow soft tune. She forced herself not to allow tears to enter her eyes.

He'll avoid me now for the rest of the evening, she thought. She noticed someone standing stop in front of her, so she brought her eyes up. Her heart fluttered in her chest as she found herself looking into the turquoise eyes of Paris. Her cheeks warmed up and took on a bright pink shade.

His face looked a little more pink than usual as well, but he had a soft smile on his face. His eyes twinkled with some secret, inner thoughts. "Helen, do you want to dance with me again?" he asked shyly, without any stuttering this time.

She nodded and stood up. She could feel her knees trembling and only hoped that she would be able to walk. He led her to the dance floor and took her hand in his. She felt a jolt of electricity run from the hand to her heart. He faced her and brought his other hand onto her waist, and she trembled. He started to lead her, and she almost melted.

"Helen I just wanted to tell you that…" he paused as though he was struggling with what to say."…that you look very beautiful tonight," he finished.

Helen was sure that her heart had skipped a beat. "T-thank you," she stuttered. For some reason the fact that she was nervous made him feel a little more bold.

Thank goodness that Selenity and Venus told me, he thought as he moved his hand from her waist to her lower back and pulled her a little closer.

She gasped a little, and he smirked as he felt her grip on his shoulder tighten a little. She stared into his eyes for a few moments before turning her head away, a deep crimson color staining her cheeks now. "You do too," she said, and then paused and turned to face him again, a look of horror on her face. "No, I mean, not beautiful, but well, umm…"

He chuckled. "Thank you," he said.

She shut her mouth and looked at him, her cheeks getting brighter and brighter. He pulled her in closer until she was almost leaning on him, enjoying the fact that she looked embarrassed but was obviously enjoying the closeness. She could feel his breath on her face.

"Paris," she said, quietly so that only he could hear.

"Yes?" he asked, looking deeply into her eyes, encouraging her to continue.

She swallowed hard, but continued. "Have you ever wanted to tell someone something so badly, but didn't know how to?" she asked him.

He stared at her for a moment before nodding. "Yes," he said huskily.

She swallowed again. "What did you do about it?" she asked, the words almost a whisper.

He smiled a little. "I made up my mind to tell them what was on my mind. Why, is there something you need to tell someone?" he asked in a teasing tone.

She nodded her head, smiling. "How did you tell them?" she asked.

He frowned a little. "I haven't yet," he replied.

She looked at him, surprised. Before she could get another word out though, he leaned over so that his lips were just beside her ear. Her eyes grew wider and wider as he spoke.

"I was hoping," he whispered, "that you would hear me out now." She nodded her head slowly, and she could almost feel his smile on his breath that was hitting her ear. He continued. "Even though I've made up my mind to say this, I don't know if I can find the courage to do so," he whispered, pulling her a little closer, crushing her to his chest. "But I fear if I don't do it now. I'll never get the chance again."

Helen was sure that he could hear her heart beating. "Helen, I'm starting to fall in love with a woman. I don't know if I could ever hope to make her happy, but I know that she makes me happy."

Helen felt both disappointment and hope fill her. What if he's talking about some other girl? But what if he's talking about me? She shivered. "You see," he continued, "she allowed me to dance with her just now, and she admitted to me she had something to tell to someone. It filled me with fear to think that she may want to admit her feelings to someone other than me. So I wanted to tell her how much I cared for her before she slipped through my fingers." He could feel her trembling beneath his touch. He brushed his nose lightly over her neck just behind her ear. "And now you know how I did it," he concluded and pulled back a little to look into her face. He stared down into her eyes, two pools of liquid topaz brimming with surprise, disbelief, and joy.

Suddenly she smiled and brought herself closer to him, laying her head onto his chest. He held her close. "You took the words right out of my mouth," he heard her whisper. He smiled as he placed his chin on top of her head, and they continued to dance in silence.

Kino, Venus, Selenity, Mars, Mercury, and Jupiter had not missed a moment of the tender moment. Granted they had not heard the words that were passed between the two, but they had all made a point of dancing near the couple during the song. They glanced at each other and smiled. Venus winked at Selenity, and both girls knew they did not have to worry about Helen's wrath anymore.

Selenity looked up to the main entrance, and noticed a man come rushing into the ballroom. He slowed his pace a little as he reached the crowed, but still headed straight to Paris and Helen. He had two other men following him, all having serious looks on their faces. Kino noticed this too, and he and Selenity stopped dancing when the men reached Paris and Helen. They didn't seem angry or anything, but they spoke quickly to Helen before escorting her out of the room, Paris following her. Kino looked at Selenity. Jupiter and Hera had stopped right near them as well. Jupiter put a hand on Kino's shoulder, which prompted the older boy to look at him. Kino nodded and turned to Selenity.

"Jupiter and I are going to see what's going on. I'll be back soon." Selenity nodded and watched Kino and Jupiter head to the exit where Helen and Paris had just exited. Hera stepped next to Selenity and placed her hand on the girl's shoulder. They both knew something was not right.

*****
~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.