Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and War ❯ Of Courtship and Broken Hearts ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 10
~~ Of Courtship and Broken Hearts ~~

The sun was high in the sky as the group made their way through the gardens again. It had been three days since the arrival of Aminiha, and she had been curious to see the gardens. Hera was holding onto Jupiter's arm, and the couple was walking with Kino and Aminiha, chatting about the gardens. Helen and Paris had their arms linked and were walking together with Selenity and Mars
.
"Seeing all these flowers almost makes me homesick," Helen said with a touch of longing in her voice. Paris smiled at her reassuringly, and Helen's face turned into a smile right away.

"You realize that we haven't even been here for a week," Mars commented.

Helen shrugged. "I know. I'm not saying that I'm not enjoying it here. I just have not been home in a while since we came here directly from our honeymoon."

Selenity smiled at her friend. "I am not looking forward to going home. It feels so nice to be here," she said, and then glanced to the other four walking ahead of them.

Kino was laughing at comment that Aminiha had just apparently made, since Jupiter and Hera were laughing as well. She smiled as she watched Kino's shoulders shake with laughter, and the way his mouth curved into a smile when he looked at the other three, allowing her to see his profile. Her smile turned into a frown, however, as she watched the Queen link her arm with Kino's as they walked.

She's always with him whenever I see him. I've barley had a chance to speak to him since she arrived. She sighed. I'm being selfish. He has not seen her in a long time, just as he had not seen us, so it is only natural that he wants to catch up with her.

"Selenity? Are you still with us?" Selenity snapped her head over to look at Helen.

"Hmm? Yes, oh, I'm sorry, I let my mind wander off on me. What were you saying Helen?" Helen chuckled and repeated what she had said. Selenity only half heard what her friend said the second time round, since her attention was once again focused on the group in front of them. Aminiha really is beautiful…..

-----------------------------------------------

"Oh come Kinotsu, we have not danced in how many years now? Since the ball that Lord and Lady Suki gave just before I left." Aminiha was standing next to Kino, her piercing eyes daring him to say no.

He smiled and bowed. "I suppose I have no choice but to accept my lady. However, I do ask you to wait until the second dance. I have already promised my first dance to another lady," he said, and looked at Selenity. She smiled, happy that he would not break their tradition.

Aminiha's smile didn't falter as she looked at the younger woman. "Well, I suppose that I will have to admit defeat in this round," then she laughed, a tinkling laugh that sounded like tiny silver bells.

Selenity curtsied to her quickly. "I thank you for not trying to break a long standing tradition," she said sweetly, causing the Queen to arch her eyebrow.

"Oh?"

Kino took Selenity's hand. "Ever since we were children, we always happened to dance our first dance together at each ball we were both present at. It became tradition." He bowed to Aminiha, and led Selenity to the dance floor. Aminiha watched them for a few moments, an odd smirk on her face, before she walked off to find herself another partner.

Selenity looked up at Kino, a happy smile on her face. "It feels nice to talk to you again Kino," she said.

He gave her a quizzical look. "What do you mean Tenshi? You've been here for almost a week talking with me."

"Not really. For the past three days I have nearly not talked to you at all." She kept herself from pointing out whom he had been spending all of his time with.

"I am so sorry Tenshi, I didn't even realize it! Please forgive me." He had a sorrowful, puppy-dog look on his face.

Selenity laughed. "I'm not angry with you Kino. You don't need to apologize."

He smiled at her. "I do Tenshi. If I have been ignoring you , then that is an unforgivable thing for me to do. I'll make it up to you." They both laughed, and their dance ended soon. Kino led Selenity back to the edge of the dance floor where he saw Jupiter, Mars, and Paris standing.

"Where are Helen and Hera?" Selenity asked them.

Paris shrugged his shoulders. "Who knows. They said they needed some fresh air, but I'm not sure where they are now."

Mars looked at Selenity. "Would you like to dance?" he asked.

Selenity looked at him, surprised. "Did I hear right? Is Mars asking ME to dance? You mean I don't have to chase you down?" Mars laughed as he held out his arm. Selenity accepted it. "This is an opportunity I can't let go to waste!" And with that, Mars swept her onto the dance floor.

Kino smiled as he watched the two disappear into the dancing crowd.

"So, when is the wedding?" Jupiter asked cheekily.

Kino snapped his head in Jupiter's direction, his face turning a slightly brighter shade of red. "E-excuse me?" he stuttered, not really knowing if his staring had been that obvious.

"Honestly Kino, do you think we have not noticed how much time you have been spending with the fair lady Aminiha? Ever since she arrived you have not left her side, or she yours, whichever is the case," Paris said.

Kino stared at the Paris and Jupiter, dumbfounded. He finally found his ability to speak again. "What, are you two going crazy? There is nothing going on between the Queen and myself! We're just good friends, that's all. I've already told you Jupiter that I do not have any of those feelings for her and I can pretty well guarantee you that neither does she."

Jupiter rolled his eyes. "Feelings can change Kino. Look at Paris and Helen. When they were younger, if we had told them they would one day be married then we would have been massacred. Now look at them."

Kino looked from Jupiter to Paris. "I tell you now, there is nothing going on between Queen Aminiha and myself."

Jupiter and Paris laughed. "All right, we believe you," Jupiter said, and then added, "however, you still have not told me which lady is in your heart."

Both men were rather pleased to see Kino turn an even brighter pink. "What makes you think that I have my mind on a woman?" he asked a little nervously.

Jupiter stared at him. "You told me in the gardens four days ago, remember?" Kino slumped his shoulders at the memory.

Aminiha took that opportunity to walk up to the small group. All men turned to face the approaching Queen and offered her bows. She smiled at them and then looked at Kino. "Are you willing to give me the dance which you promised me now?"

Kino gave her a small bow and held his arm out for her. She accepted it, and he led her out onto the dance floor.

Paris and Jupiter watched the two leave, each thinking his own thoughts. Finally Jupiter turned to Paris. "I don't know, even though Kino may not see it, I think that our lady Aminiha has some intentions with him," he said.

Paris nodded his head slowly. "I know what you mean. The way that she acts around him…I like her though, she seems like a kind enough person." Jupiter nodded his head in agreement.

Soon the song ended, and the two were once again joined by Selenity and Mars. "I'm surprised how warm it's getting here." Selenity commented.

Mars looked at her. "Would you like something to drink?" he asked her.

She smiled at him sweetly. "That's alright Mars, don't trouble yourself."

"I don't mind. I was actually thinking of getting something for myself as well."

"Well, if you're going anyway…"

"I am…."

"Thank you." With that, Mars left in search of drinks. Jupiter and Paris stared at Selenity, blinking.

Selenity looked around. "Where's Kino?" she asked.

"Queen Aminiha came and asked him to dance with her as he apparently promised he would do," Paris told her.

Selenity nodded, and sat down in one of the chairs that was close by. The music started up again, and a new crowd of people began to dance. Helen and Hera came by and dragged their husbands out to dance. "We'll be back soon!" Helen called over her shoulder. Selenity smiled at them as they disappeared. Mars came back and handed her a goblet before sitting down in the chair next to her.

"I'm impressed with how many people there are here tonight," she remarked, and Mars nodded his head in agreement.

"Lord Takahashi went all out, didn't he?"

"Yes. It was kind of him to arrange a party for us so that we could have some fun. I'm glad that he arranged a ball rather than a formal dinner though."

Mars looked at her with a smirk on his face. "I spoke to him earlier today, and a formal dinner is planned in the next few days."

Selenity sighed. "Wonderful. Oh well, I suppose that it will give me an opportunity to practice my etiquette, which mother says is lacking." She heard Mars chuckle beside her.

"You're etiquette was always better than mine, so if anyone is going to have problems at the dinner, it's going to be me," he said.

Selenity laughed. "At least you're not expected to be graceful. That's the part that I find the hardest."

"I never noticed you ever having any problems with grace," he replied, causing her to blush.

"I'm working at it," she told him as she looked back out into the ballroom. She noticed Kino on the other side of the hall, standing next to Aminiha and Lord Takahashi.

Both Mars and Selenity noticed someone approaching them, a woman with wavy black hair and green eyes. She curtsied before Mars. "Prince Mars, it is so nice to see you once again," she said.

He looked at her, a little stunned. "My Lady, have we met before?" he asked as he stood up.

She giggled and covered her mouth with her hand. "You probably don't remember me," she said," we met at a ball on the planet Jupiter a little over five years ago. My name is Nerio."

Mars studied her for a moment and then his face lit in a smile. "Yes, I remember you. You came and asked me to dance."

She smiled and blushed. "Yes. Now it is not proper for a lady to ask a Prince to dance however," she said and fluttered her lashes.

He gave her a broad grin and bowed. "Well, I suppose that it is up to me to ask the Lady to dance," then he looked at Selenity, "If my friend does not mind," he added.

Selenity smiled and waved her hand at them. "Go ahead," she said.

Nerio took Mars' arm, and walked with him to the dance floor. As soon as they were out of sight, Selenity brought her gaze back to where she had seen Kino and Aminiha. They were still there, talking to Lord Takahashi, watching the dancers. She rose from her seat, placed her now empty goblet on a nearby table, and began to walk to the three. She saw Aminiha look at her as she began to move to them. She had almost reached them when she saw Aminiha touch Kino's arm and say something to him, after which the two walked away from her onto the dance floor. Selenity sighed, but walked up to Lord Takahashi anyway.

He smiled at her when he saw her approach. "Selenity! How are you enjoying yourself so far?" he asked as soon as he had swept her a bow.

"Very well my Lord. You have truly gone out of your way to make this wonderful."

He smiled and inclined his head in acceptance of the compliment. "I'm pleased that you are having fun." He paused and then bowed to her. "Would you honour me with a dance? I have not been on the dance floor yet tonight."

Selenity curtsied and accepted his hand.

Not far from them danced Kino and Aminiha.

"You're skills have improved since I saw you last," she remarked to him.

He smiled a little shy smile. "Thank you , but I believe that yours have advanced far more than my own." She laughed. He spun her out, and noticed over her shoulder his father dancing with Selenity. He smiled to himself.

Good, Tenshi has found someone to dance with. I'll have to go and find her for the next dance, he thought to himself. The music ended soon, and he led Aminiha to the edge of the crowd where he saw Mars, Jupiter and Hera.

"Kino, you've decided to grace us with your presence again!" exclaimed Mars.

Kino laughed, and Aminiha gave Mars a smile. "My apologies sir, if I have kept your host from you," she said, and Mars shook his head.

"Not at all my Lady." The music started up again, and Jupiter led Hera back onto the dance floor.

Aminiha noticed Selenity and Lord Takahashi standing not too far away from them, and turned to Kino. "Would you like to go out again? I could dance all evening!"

Kino looked down at her. "I-I actually would like to sit this one out. I feel a little tired," he said apologetically.

"That's too bad. I would so like to go out again," she could see his defences breaking as he looked back out at the crowd.

"If the Lady will forgive my boldness, I would ask for the honour of a dance," Mars said, offering Aminiha his arm.

Aminiha turned to face Mars. She couldn't back out, so she took her arm from Kino's and accepted Mars' hand. "I would be ever so grateful," she said, and he led her to the dance floor.

Kino gave a sigh as he sank into one of the nearby chairs. If I had said yes, I wouldn't get a rest all night! He glanced at a figure approaching him and stood up, a happy smile on his face. "Tenshi! I saw you dancing with father."

She smiled at him. "Yes, your father was kind enough to oblige me with a dance. I saw you dancing with Queen Aminiha."

Kino nodded. "Yes. She loves to dance."

"Would you like to dance?" she asked. He was about to say yes, when he stopped himself. Aminiha would be angry that I refused her a dance and then went to dance with Tenshi…

"Not this one Tenshi, I want to sit this one out," he was sad to see her smile falter a little, "but next dance I will," he added quickly, thus managing to restore her smile.

"Alright, that sounds fair." She then looked out at the crowd. "I see that Aminiha has gotten Mars on the dance floor now."

Kino chuckled. "Actually, Mars asked her to dance, not she him." Selenity sat down in a chair, and Kino followed suit.

"Mars asked me to dance as well earlier. I actually think that he has been on the dance floor the most this evening. He danced with a woman earlier named…Nerio, that was it. They met years ago apparently at a ball in Jupiter's kingdom." Kino nodded his head.

Helen and Paris approached them. "How come the two of you are not on the dance floor right now?" Helen asked, laughter in her voice. It was obvious that she was having a good time.

"Kino was tired. He has no stamina." Selenity said bluntly.

Kino stared at her. "Hey, I do have stamina! I just wanted to sit one dance out," he said defensively.

Selenity laughed. "I know. Don't get so excited Kino, I was only teasing."

Kino looked at her, and then smiled. "Good. Now I just hope that you can keep up with me in the next dance, since I'll have to show you that I do have stamina," he said, and Selenity laughed.

"Then I have to hope that it will be a slow song," she replied back.

Helen laughed as she sat down next to Selenity. "You two still sound like children," she teased, making everyone smile. Paris stood behind her, his hands on her shoulders. The song soon ended, and the four were joined by Jupiter and Hera. The music started up again, and Kino held his hand out to Selenity. She accepted, and they walked onto the floor. True to Selenity's wish, the song was a slow one.

Jupiter looked at Hera. "Would you like to go out again?" he asked.

She shook her head. "No, I would like to rest a little. I'm starting to feel rather tired," she replied. Paris and Helen did head out for another dance though.

Somewhere in the middle of the crowd, Kino held Selenity closed to him. "I can't believe that you've already been here for a week, and you'll be leaving in only two more," he murmured.

She chuckled. "You'll have to come and visit one of our planets soon then. It would be nice if Venus and Mercury could make it."

He nodded his head. "I was happy that you could make it this time, that your mother let you come."

"She knew that Helen and Hera were coming along as well, so she didn't fear I would be the only girl here. She knows that they will keep an eye on me."

Kino chuckled. "Does she not trust me?" he asked.

Selenity shook her head. "It's not that. It's not proper for a young girl to go and visit a man without some sort of chaperone though."

"You're not a young girl though. You're a woman now."

Selenity blushed. "I'm not yet eighteen," she said.

"You have the beauty of a woman Tenshi. Besides, you will be eighteen soon." He pulled her in a little closer. "I would protect you no matter what. I've already told you I would protect you with my life." He didn't see her blush.

"I think that mother will be looking for a husband for me soon after I turn eighteen," she said a little wistfully, trying to change the subject.

"You do not wish to marry?" he asked her.

"Not if it's someone who I cannot choose myself, or if I do not love him."

"Are you in love?" He felt her stiffen a little at the question, so he quickly added, "Don't worry, you don't have to tell me." He placed his chin on top of her head, and felt her relax. "I just hope that you will be happy, no matter who you marry one day." He felt her press herself closer to him. He heard her sigh.

She had her head against his chest. "I can hear your heart," she said, and the rest of the dance they were silent.

Aminiha stood at the edge of the crowd with Mars, Hera, and Paris, and she didn't miss watching a moment of tenderness that passed between Kino and Selenity.

-------------------------------------------

The next week and a half passed slowly for Selenity in some ways, and much too quickly in others. The times where she saw Kino and could talk to him were rare and always flew by. The rest of the time, she felt that each second lasted and eternity.

Aminiha always found an excuse to be with Kino, and there was not much that Selenity could do about it. Why is it bothering me so much? She asked herself repeatedly. It should not matter to me if he spends time with her or not, as long as it makes him happy.

It wasn't until three days before she was to leave that things fell into place in heart. She was sitting in the garden on the grass off one of the paths so that she would not be seen from the main gardens. She was on top a hill that overlooked a valley. The planets two suns were setting.

I can't believe that we're leaving in only a few more days. It feels like we only arrived yesterday, and it's already time for us to part. I don't want to leave yet, I've barley seen Kino. She gazed at the blades of grass at her feet. Who knows, he probably won't even notice that I'm gone.

She stopped her thoughts. No, he'll notice, I know he will. She sighed as she looked at the mountains bordering the valley.

I feel so at peace here. She hugged her knees. I suppose that's because I know that he's here. Not beside me, but at least on the planet. I don't want to leave here. I don't want to leave him. She felt tears prickling her eyes. I was so stupid for letting myself fall in love with him.

She gasped and her head snapped up. In love….is that what has happened? Have I allowed myself to fall in love with him? A smile started to spread across her face. I never knew that I could feel like this without realizing it. She rolled her eyes. Venus will be thrilled.

She glanced over her shoulder back in the direction of the castle. I have to tell him before we leave. I-I can't keep it to myself. Wait, what he rejects me? I guess I'll never know if I don't try. Even if he doesn't feel the same way about me, I have to let him know.

Content with her decision, she got up and brushed her dress off. Within minutes she was back in the castle, heading towards Kino's room.

"….It's so wonderful that he had a daughter. What did he and his wife name her?" Selenity paused at the sound of voices coming form the library.

"They have named her Setsuna. Pluto is so thrilled." Selenity smiled to herself. She recognized the voice as Lord Takahashi's. Pluto had been hoping for a daughter since his wife had told him she was expecting. Selenity was happy that he had gotten what he wanted.

"Now my Lord, what do you say to my proposition?" Selenity brought her attention back to the voices. She now recognized the second voice as being Aminiha.

"I have thought about it, and I do think it is in the best interest on the kingdom for me to accept. However, I have not spoken to Kinotsu about it yet, so I do not know what his stand will be in the issue." All of Selenity's senses were on edge at the mention of Kino's name.

"I do not have doubts about your son's acceptance. He is wise, even for his age, and will see the benefits for the kingdom. Also, I have been convinced that he has certain…affection for me," the Queen said. Selenity's hand flew to her mouth to stifle a gasp.

"Very well, we will settle it then. Your marriage to my son will happen soon hopefully, as soon as you wish. I will speak to him about it soon," Lord Takahashi said. Selenity felt tears in her eyes.

"I thank you my Lord. I only hope that he will be as eager for the union as I am."

"I'm sure he will be."

Selenity refused to hear any more as she rushed to her room. As soon as the door was closed behind her, she sank to the floor, sobbing.

He must love her. She would not have said so if he did not. I-I can't tell him now. I know he loves another, and will be married to her. I would lose him as a friend, and I could not bare that. I've lost him, he's gone forever…….

She did not sleep that night, and now the journey home could not come soon enough for her.

-----------------------------------------------

"Ten shi…" Selenity felt a hand grab her and pull her to the side. She found herself staring up into Kino's confused eyes.

She bit her tongue, and smiled at him. "What is it Kino?" She had been about to board the ship that would take her home. She'd managed to avoid Kino fairly well since she had overheard the conversation between Lord Takahashi and Aminiha. Now, however, she found herself alone with him in a hallway.

He stared down at her, refusing to release her arm. "Tenshi, are you angry with me? You've been avoiding me for the past few days, and you always look so sad when I see you. What's wrong?" he asked.

She could have cried at the concern that filled his voice. She wanted to tell him everything, but instead she kept smiling. "Nothing is wrong Kino, I haven't been avoiding you. You've just been busy," she lied, and he could see the lie. She bit her lip as he opened his mouth to speak.

"Tenshi, if I've done something to upset you, please tell me now before you leave. I would hate to have you leave and still be angry with me until the next time we see each other."

She shook her head and looked down at the ground. "Kino, really, it's nothing…" her voice cracked and she bit down on her tongue again. Suddenly she felt his arms around her. She buried her face in his chest, hoping desperately that no one would decide to come down that hallways.

"I can tell when there's something bothering you," he said gently, and she shook her head.

"Kino, I just want you to be happy," was all that she was able to squeak out. He pulled back a little and stared down into her eyes. Hers were glossy with tears, but she didn't care.

"Tenshi…." he said, and then paused. "I am happy."

She smiled at him, and felt a cold stab in her hear. Of course you are, the woman you love is here, she thought. She was rather surprised to see a streak of blush cross his face. "Tenshi, I've been trying to find you the past few days to talk to you about something. There is something that I need to tell you before you leave."

He paused, as she placed her finger on his lips. "Kino, I know. But-" she was cut off by the sound of foot steps. She backed away from Kino and looked down the hallway. Three servants she had brought along came around the corner, and came strait at them. She knew it was time to leave.

She looked back at Kino. He still had a confused look in his eyes. "You-you know?" he asked, "but how…."

She smiled up at him. "Forget about me Kino," she whispered.

His eyes widened. "But-"

"No Kino. No buts. I'm-I'm not upset with you or anything. Just please, be happy."

He looked like he wanted to respond, but just then the servants reached them. "Princess, it's time to go. They're waiting for us," one of them said.

Selenity nodded her head, and followed them back down the hall. She heard Kino's footsteps right behind her. They came into the shipping dock, and headed to their ship. Aminiha was standing next to Lord Takahashi.

Selenity walked up to them, and curtsied to Lord Takahashi. "I thank you once more my Lord for your hospitality, and I hope that the moon will be able to repay that hospitality to you sometime soon."

Lord Takahashi smiled at her and kissed her hand. "I hope that you have a safe trip home Princess." He then walked over to make sure that everything was in order with the ship.

Selenity turned to look at Aminiha. "It was very nice to meet you, Lady Aminiha. I'm sure we will see each other again, and I wish you all the best until then." Selenity noticed Beryl standing beside her mother. She crouched down so that she was at eye level with the little princess. "It was nice meeting you too, Princess."

Beryl gave her a small curtsy, but said nothing. Selenity was about to straiten up, when the little girl wrapped her arms around Selenity's neck. Selenity smiled as she hugged her back. "Don't get lost again," she whispered to her. Beryl pulled back and smiled, nodding her head. Selenity straitened up and looked into Aminiha's eyes.

Aminiha looked at her curiously, noticing the trace of tears in Selenity's eyes. She placed her hand on Selenity's arm. "Are you alright my dear?" she asked gently.

Selenity nodded her head, but more tears made their ways to her eyes. "I suppose I'm just sad to be leaving," she said.

She was surprised when Aminiha embraced her. "It's alright to be sad that you're leaving," the Queen said to her.

Selenity returned the hug gently. "Please, make him happy," was all she said as she pulled back.

Aminiha looked at her curiously as the Princess went to her ship. Selenity glanced at Kino as she walked up the stairs, and gave him a feeble smile. He stared back at her, confusion still streaking his handsome face.

Aminiha chuckled to herself as realization hit her. The poor fool is in love with the Prince, she thought to herself. Goodbye Princess Selenity. He's mine.