Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and War ❯ She's sick, He's Angry ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 11
~~ She's sick, He's Angry ~~

"You will have to forgive my daughters absence my Lord Ares, Prince Mars, but she became ill soon after she returned from Lord Takahashi's kingdom, and is resting. She will be present at tonight's dinner however." The Queen of the moon sat in a chair across form Ares and Mars in a small library adjoining the throne room.

Ares nodded his head. "Please don't trouble yourself Lady Diana. If Selenity is not feeling well, perhaps she should stay in bed until she feels better."

Diana smiled at him. "I'm sure that she will be feeling better tonight. Her spirits have been down, but I am sure that your arrival, as well as that of Princess Venus, will cheer her up."

Ares nodded his head thoughtfully, then placed his hands on the table in front of him. "Perhaps it would be best that we do not announce anything to the Princess yet, until she has regained her health," he said.

Mars nodded to his father's comment. "Yes. I would hate to excite her if she is not feeling well. It would be best if we waited until she regains her strength."

Diana nodded her head in agreement. "Very well. I will not tell her anything until she has regained her strength. However, if we want the alliance to happen within the next year and a half, I will have to tell her soon. She needs to begin her training, and for that she must be fit. I can assure you that she will be healthy within a short while, and then I will tell her."

Ares grinned at the Queen. "Do you think that she will be angry?" he asked.

Diana tilted her head. "Why should she be angry? I believe that she is fond of your son, he is a fine man. She should be very pleased with the match."

Ares chuckled, and Mars blushed. "I was just thinking that she might be angry you kept the arrangement a secret from her until now. I know that Mars had a…shocked and somewhat rebellious reaction when he first found out."

Mars glanced up at the queen. "I did not look at the positive aspects of the match at first, your Highness. I was angry that my father kept it a secret, and I thought I was being forced into something I did not want to do. However, once I thought about it, I was very happy with the arrangement." The Queen smiled at him, and he continued. "I could not be happier with any other woman as I will be with your daughter." He then chuckled. "I fear that she may have the same reaction as me at first, but I hope that it will pass quickly."

Diana nodded her head at Mars' comment. "I hope so too. I am happy to see that you have affections for my daughter." With that they lapsed into silence for a few moments, before starting to plan out the details of the match of Mars and Selenity.

--------------------------------------------

"V enus, I'm so happy that you're finally here," Selenity said to her friend as soon as she entered the room.

Venus smiled and came to sit on Selenity's bed beside her. She touched the sick girls hand gently. "It's good to see you too Selenity. How are you feeling?" Venus looked at Selenity, and was filled with worry. Selenity's eyes were lined with dark circles, telling tales of sleepless nights. Her skin was paler than usual, and had lost some of its luminosity. Her hair hung limply around her shoulders, its natural sheen gone. Venus clutched her hand, which was cold.

"I'm alright Venus. I'm just a little sick," came back the soft voice of Selenity.

Venus didn't like the way that her friend looked or sounded. There was something odd in Selenity, and she couldn't put her finger on what it was. She tried to keep up a cheerful attitude though. "How was your trip? I talked to Hera already, and she told me a little about it, but not much."

Selenity's smile seemed to falter a little, but did not disappear. However, now it looked glued on her face, as though she had it there just to look happy. "It was nice. It's too bad that you and Mercury could not have been there. Lord Takahashi has re-done some of his gardens, and they are absolutely beautiful now." Venus nodded her head. "It was nice to see Lord Takahashi again as well. It's been so long since we saw him."

"Hera told me that you were joined also by a Lady Aminiha," Venus said.

Selenity sat there silently for a moment, then broadened her smile. "Yes. She is a Queen, Queen of the Negavers I believe, a vast territory. She arrived about three days after we did. She's a lovely creature Venus, perhaps even a rival to your beauty. Almost."

Venus laughed at Selenity. "Oh Selenity, I'm not that beautiful you know."

Selenity squeezed Venus' hand. "Of course you are, don't deny it. My brother sure has noticed it." She watched Venus blush at the comment, her smile dropping a little.

"Yes, I know," Venus said, almost a little sullenly.

"Then no arguments. Yes, she is lovely, and she seems kind. I'm sure that she will make Kino happy," Selenity argued.

Venus tilted her head, confused. "What do you mean? Why should she make him happy?"

Selenity sighed as she looked out the window on the opposite side of the room. "Oh, she and Kino are to be wed. I don't know when, but soon."

Venus let out a gasp. "What are you talking about? Kino is not engaged!"

Selenity shook her head. "No, not yet, but I overheard Queen Aminiha and Lord Takahashi speaking together, and they were making plans for a marriage between Kino and Aminiha."

Venus stared at Selenity. "That can't be, Kino doesn't even love the woman!"

"Why shouldn't he? They have known each other for years now. You weren't there, you didn't see them together. They were always together," Selenity paused, since she noticed her words growing bitter. "She told Lord Takahashi that Kino has affection for her. He loves her, and there's nothing else to it."

Venus studied her friend, annoyed and frustrated that she could not talk about Kino's heart. "I don't think that he is like that Selenity. Perhaps you heard wrong."

Selenity shook her head. "No, I guarantee I did not hear wrong."

Venus placed her hand on Selenity's shoulder, and was shocked when an odd jolt ran through her arm from Selenity. She peered more closely at he sick Princess. Then she heard it, the faint whispering of Selenity's heart.

Selenity stared at her. "Venus, are you alright?" Venus held her hand up, motioning Selenity to be silent. Her eyes grew wider as she listened. Her head snapped up and her eyes met Selenity's.

"Selenity, you're not ill," she whispered. Selenity stared at her, surprised. "You're not ill physically that is. You-you have a broken heart."

Selenity looked down at her hands, a guilty expression on her face. "No I don't."

"Don't lie to me Selenity, you know I can hear your heart," Venus snapped. Selenity looked up at her, and Venus was surprised to see Selenity's eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry Selenity, I didn't mean to snap at you," she said, changing to a more gentle tone of voice.

Selenity nodded her head. "It's ok. Just please, don't mention it to anybody. I-I'll be alright, honestly."

Venus frowned. "You should not be showing physical signs of a broken heart if you're fine Selenity. I've seen many broken hearts, and it should not be showing on you. Please tell me what happened."

Selenity sighed, her eyes glistening with her unshed tears. "Please Venus, I can't talk about it. I just want to know that he'll be happy, and then I'll be fine, really!"

Venus held onto Selenity's hand. "Who? Wait….this-this has to do with Kino, doesn't it!" she said, the comment a statement, not a question. She was surprised when Selenity suddenly leaned forward and wrapped her arms around her waist, and started to sob.

Venus held the crying girl and stroked her hair, her mind whirling. Of course…Selenity told me that she had feelings for Kino. I can see now that they are much stronger than when he first returned. The poor thing…

"Selenity…" she murmured, causing a fresh wave of tears to come form the girl. I've never seen someone so heart broken. I can't believe how much she loves him! I'll have to talk to mama about it….this isn't right! She could feel Selenity starting to tremble from the outpouring of tears, and hugged her tighter. "What did he do to you?" she whispered.

Selenity shuddered. "Nothing. He did nothing to me. I-I don't know w-why (hiccup) I feel like this. I j-just (hiccup) want to see him h-happy." More tears followed and Venus waited patiently for her to calm down a little. Finally, Venus sat on the bed and leaned against the headboard, allowing Selenity's head to rest in her lap, her face turned away from her. Selenity clutched her blankets as Venus stroked her hair. "I don't know why Venus, I j-just don't know if she can m-make him happy," she whispered.

"We don't know her well Selenity, that's why. You want what's best for him," she paused. "Does he know how you feel about him?"

Selenity shook her head. "No. I wanted to (hiccup) tell him, but when I was going to do it I overheard the c-conversation between Aminiha and Lord Taka(hiccup)hashi about the wedding, and I just c-couldn't do it (hiccup)."

Venus stared at Selenity's head, her eyebrows furrowed. "Do you know if he loves her for sure?"

"No, but I know that he likes her (hiccup) well enough," Selenity replied. Both women were silent for some time, Venus stroking Selenity's hair.

Finally, Venus broke the silence. "I'll keep an eye on him."

"Please don't tell him anything Venus!" Selenity gasped out.

"I can't talk about your heart with him, remember? I wasn't exactly counting on receiving your permission," Venus said, and Selenity nodded her head. Soon, she fell asleep from exhaustion.

Venus managed to crawl out form under Selenity and tuck her into the bed. She kneeled next to the bed for several moments, watching the sleeping girl.

She looks so tired and sick. I have to talk to mama. I haven't seen love this strong ever, nor an equally strong heartbreak. I don't know how to help her, but I know that I have to go and see Kino and talk to him, see how he feels. I promise I'll help you Selenity. With those thoughts, Venus left the room, leaving Selenity to her restless sleep.

She was back within the hour, followed closely by her mother. She led Aphrodite to the sleeping princesses side. The Queen of Love placed her hand gently on the sleeping girls forehead and watched her. Selenity stirred in her sleep, but did not wake up. After a few minutes the Queen rose and motioned for her daughter to follow her out of the room. Once in the hallway, they began to walk back to Aphrodite's room.

"You were right to call me my dear," she said as she stared at the ground before her. "She is severely heartbroken, and I don't like it how her body is reacting. She told you nothing more that what you told me?"

Venus shook her head. "No, she said nothing else. I'm worried about her mom."

Aphrodite nodded her head, causing a few of her golden ringlets to spill across her forehead. "I am too my dear. Selenity is so much in love that it almost scares me. I don't think that her heart is allowing her to realize just how much she is in love with Kino, since it fears rejection." She stopped speaking and the two women continued on in silence. When the reached the Queen's chamber, they entered and sat down, both deep in thought.

Finally, Venus spoke. "What can I do to help her?"

Aphrodite studied her daughter for a moment. "Nothing at the moment. We will, however, go and see Kino, just as you thought we should. He needs at least a hint about Selenity's feelings, especially, if as you say, you sensed the same feelings in him towards her."

"I did." Venus confirmed.

"Fine. We will leave as soon as we can. I fear for her life, and I wan to get to Kino right away."

"Her life? Mama, is she that bad?"

"I'm afraid so. Her body is weakening."

"Let's go then."

---------------------------------------------------

"Queen Aphrodite, Princess Venus, it is a pleasure to have you visit us." Lord Takahashi stood before the two women. It was nearly dinner time, so no large ceremony had been prepared.

Kino kissed Venus' hand. "It was a pity that you could not be here with everyone else, but it's good to see you again," Kino said to Venus, a grin on his face.

"I am sorry I could not be here either Kino, believe me. You have no idea how much I regret it," Venus told him.

Lord Takahashi motioned for them to follow him. Aphrodite walked with the King, exchanging small talk. A few servants walked in front of them with torches, while more followed, carrying the Queen and Princesses belongings.

Venus looked at Kino. "Kino, I know that it will be late once dinner is over, but would you mind if we talked alone for a little while?"

Kino smiled at her. "No problem, we can retire to the library afterwards. No, wait, on second thought, we should go to the parlour. Father will probably wish to talk to your mother in the library after dinner." Venus nodded her head. "Is there something urgent?" he asked suddenly.

Venus didn't really know what to tell him without arousing his curiosity too much. "Yes, somewhat," she said, and paused. "I just visited Selenity." She noted that his smile dropped from his face and he looked at her with a pleading look.

"How is she Venus? She looked sad when she left here. Is she happier?" he asked, sounding desperate to hear news of the Moon Princess.

Venus stared at the man, genuine concern flooding his eyes. She felt warmth in his words, laced with affection and feelings deeper than he would be willing to admit. She smiled, hearing his love for her. She knew then that things would be alright. "She has been a little ill, but I know that she will get better soon." She felt pity for him as she noted a worried expression take over his face at the mention of Selenity's illness. She saw he wanted to ask more questions, but they had reached the dining hall, and they had to focus on the announcements of their names.

Finally they were all seated. Aphrodite sat next to Lord Takahashi, as did Kino. Venus sat next to her mother. As the meal began, Venus glanced around the table. Her gaze fell upon a woman who was sitting next to Kino. Her hair was red and her eyes violet, and her beauty radiated through the room. She had to be Aminiha.

Dinner was filled with small talk, and it wasn't until dessert that the real speech began. There was a soft murmur of conversations when Lord Takahashi rose, demanding everyone's attention. The whole room went quiet and everyone's attention focused on the standing King. He held a goblet of wine in his hand, and he began to speak.

"My Lords and Lady's, I am very happy to be able to have Queen Aphrodite and Princess Venus in our presence today." There was a round of applause, and Aphrodite inclined her head to the table and smiled. The applause died down, and Lord Takahashi continued speaking. "We have been graced with many visitors, each of them brining joy to us and news. I can happily announce tonight that we are entering into a new peace treaty with the Negaverse. Within a couple of years, we hope to have a true union between our two kingdoms, one that will ally us completely for hopefully all time." There was a murmur through the crowd.

Venus noticed Kino glance and smile at Aminiha, who smiled at him sweetly. Venus studied him, and was quite relieved to see that there was no love in him toward the Queen. She then focused her attention back to Lord Takahashi who was sill talking.

"….and to solidify the bonds of this treaty, we are happy to announce that a new bond between the people of the two kingdoms will be formed as well," Lord Takahashi was just saying.

Venus' interest was perked as she listened. She notice Kino perk up as well. "Along with the peace treaty there is attached a marriage alliance." A murmur went through the crowd again. Venus noted Kino smirk. "I know that you are all thinking that I am rather old to be taking on a new Queen, goodness knows I'm feeling my age," he said good-heartedly, and a chuckle went through the crowd. "And I must say that I agree with you. However, the offer has not been made for myself, but rather, my son." Another murmur went through the crowd.

Venus watched as Kino's smile froze, and then slowly dropped, replaced with a look of horror. "I am happy and privileged to announce that such an alliance will be formed between Queen Aminiha and my son, Prince Kinotsu." Venus stared in shock at Kino, who seemed frozen in place. Slowly he stood up, his eyes on his plate. He slowly brought his gaze up and looked strait at his father.

"Please….excuse me," Kino said hoarsely, and without a moments hesitation he turned around and walked out of the room. There was a hum of whispers in the hall.

Lord Takahashi smiled at the crowd. "My son must be very surprised and overcome with joy. It was a surprise for him as well." Another chuckle went through the crowd, although Venus could feel the uneasiness of the people. She glanced up at Aminiha, who was sitting there with a smirk on her face, toying with her goblet. Venus could see anger flickering in her eyes though.

Dessert continued, and within about ten minutes, Lord Takahashi rose and left discreetly. Venus watched his back until he was out of the room, then looked at her mother. The Queen looked at her daughter, worry clearly written on her face.

"I'll talk to him right after dinner when he is alone," Venus said quietly, and Aphrodite nodded.

----------------------------------------------------------

Heavy footsteps tracked the thick carpet in the library. Kino had scared a couple of maids who had been dusting the shelves when he had stormed in and yelled at them to get out. Now he was pacing back and forth, his hands clasped behind his back, his face pointed to the floor. His mind was whirling with anger and frustration. It was a full ten minutes before he heard his father's footsteps approaching the door. He stopped pacing and watched his father enter the room.

Lord Takahashi closed the door behind him soundlessly, his demeanour calm and quiet. He walked up to his son and stared at him.

"What the hell was that all about?" Kino hissed.

Lord Takahashi's stony exterior remained. "How dare you show such disrespect to Lady Aminiha," his father replied, his voice level, calm, almost monotone. Normally this calm would have frightened Kino, since he knew it meant his father was at his angriest.

"It would have been nice if I had been warned that I was about to be publicly sold without my consent," Kino replied with equal calmness.

Lord Takahashi's jaw tightened. "I would have thought that you would be pleased that we can form another alliance Kinotsu. Or are you forgetting your responsibility to your people?"

"I don't seem to recall all of our peace treaties involving me taking a wife. Or have I been already acquired a harem without my knowledge?" His sentence dripped with sarcasm.

"Queen Aminiha is a powerful woman, and if she wants you as the price for an alliance and peace, then we better be damn happy to comply with her wishes."

"So she demanded this match, did she? Or did you offer me."

"From what I know from Lady Aminiha, and she does not look like a lady who would assume things lightly, you have a certain measure of affection for her."

"Yes, as a friend. I have no romantic feelings to the Queen," Kino said bitterly.

"Kinotsu, even if you do not love her now, you will one day. Or are you willing to throw away such an important ally for your own selfishness?" Lord Takahashi snapped at Kino, and Kino knew that his father's patience was wearing thin, but he was not willing to back down.

"I will not marry her dad. You cannot force me to."

"Then you will plunge this kingdom into war."

"No, you plunge this kingdom into war. You should have consulted me before you made any promises." There was a stony silence between the two men. They both jerked a little when there was a knock on the door.

"We are busy!" Lord Takahashi boomed.

"I am very sorry my Lord for disturbing you," came a muffled voice, "but the matter is somewhat urgent." Kino saw the muscle in his fathers jaw twitch.

"It will have to wait Artemis," Lord Takahashi said.

"My Lord, please hold your wrath, but a messenger has just arrived telling that your lord brother will be arriving within the hour to discuss something important with your Highness, regarding the rebellion in the south," said Artemis through the door.

Lord Takahashi ran his hand through his hair with an exasperated sigh he turned to his son. "We will continue this in the morning," he said quietly, and with that he turned and walked to the door, leaving with Artemis. Kino stared at the door for the matter of some minutes, and then sank into the nearest chair, burying his face in his hands. After several minutes he stood and walked to his room.