Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ All's Fair in Love and War ❯ A Daughter's Confessions ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 23 A Daughters Confessions
"Oh my goodness," Selenity whispered, tears forming in her eyes. Her heart was beating rapidly, and her breathing was deep. She walked over to the bed and sank down onto it, clutching her hands to her chest, "I-I can't believe it."
Helen's eyes were misted with tears too as she gazed at Selenity. "I know…." she said as she brought her eyes back down.
Selenity took a shaky breath. "He's….he's……."
Helen nodded her head. "I know," she said softly. Both women turned their heads at the sound of the door opening. Paris peeked his head in, a broad grin on his face.
"How's my son?" he asked quietly as he entered the room, closing the door behind him. Helen smiled at her husband as he walked over to the bed. He leaned over and kissed his wife on the forehead, before gently running his fingers down the baby's face. "Is there anything you need?" he asked.
Helen nodded. "I'm feeling rather thirsty, and I'm sure that Selenity wouldn't mind something to drink as well." Paris nodded, and bounded out of the room like a little puppy. Selenity giggled, and then looked back at the bundle Helen was holding in her arms.
Helen was laying in bed, an army of pillows behind her, and oceans of blankets covering her, all at the insistences of Paris. In her arms she held a small child, only two days old. Endymion.
"Helen, he really is beautiful," Selenity said, as she reached out. She stroked his hand with her finger, which he latched onto right away. He squeezed tight, and gave a big yawn. Both women giggled. The little boy stared at them with his blue eyes, and gave a high pitched laugh. Helen cuddled him.
"I don't think that I could be happier right now," she said. Selenity smiled and nodded her head.
"Well, I think that Paris couldn't be happier right now either," she said. "He was absolutely beaming when he came in here."
Helen laughed. "Just think of what he's going to be like in a month, after the coronation." Selenity nodded. Paris' father had passed away the previous winter, and his mother had ruled since then. However, when Helen got pregnant, she had announced that she would be handing the throne over to Paris and Helen. That would take place in just over three weeks.
"I think that you won't be able to live with him for a while, since he's just going to be overly cheerful and hyper," Selenity said with a chuckle.
Helen smiled. "I don't doubt it, but I have a feeling that he's going to be calmer than you think, with a child under his care now. He has much more responsibility."
Selenity nodded, and then held out her hands. "Can I hold him?" she asked, gesturing towards the little Prince. Helen nodded and carefully handed the small bundle to Selenity. Selenity held him and cooed to him. Slowly, the child's eyes fell shut, and he was soon fast asleep. The two women stared at the sleeping form, for the moment completely content.

"How was the trip?" Diana asked, hugging her daughter. Selenity beamed.
"They are so happy. You should see their son mama, he is beautiful. He has the biggest blue eyes, and he's very healthy."
Diana smiled. "That's good to hear. They must be very pleased. Are you still planning on going back for the coronation as well?" she asked.
Selenity nodded her head. "Yes. They also said that they would like it if you could be there as well. Paris' mother said she would very much like to see you again as well, since it's been so long since she or you have visited. Not since the death of her husband."
"Very well, I will come with you then. But come, until then, we must go back to training. Aminiha is getting closer and closer, and I need you to know how to use the crystal."
Selenity followed her mother to the training room. She had arrived well rested from the trip, so she didn't mind going straight to training. Diana handed her the crystal, and Selenity went to stand in the middle of the room. Ever since her mother had found the key to unlocking her power, she had been trying to use it again and again, but it no longer worked. It seemed to have only worked when Selenity believed what her mother told her as being the truth. Now, however, she knew it was just the way her mother was using to get her to unleash power.
Selenity closed her eyes and focused on the crystal. She could get it levitating and glowing without a problem now, but anything more drained her. The crystal floated in the air, and Selenity waited for further instructions from Diana.
"We're going to try something new today," she could hear her mother say. " I know that you concentrate better with your eyes closed, but today, you must have them open for the exercise." Selenity was a little surprised by the change in routine, but nevertheless complied. She opened her eyes and looked down at the crystal in her hands. She felt it harder to concentrate right away, since now she was paying attention to things that she was seeing as well. Diana stood right in front of Selenity and gazed down at the crystal as well. She put her hands beneath Selenity's, and Selenity could immediately feel some of the strain lift from her. She felt her mother's power swirling around her own.
As she watched the crystal, she noticed tiny wisps of glimmering mist form around the crystal. The mist formed strands, and circled the crystal. Selenity could feel the shifts in her mother's power as she controlled the hovering orb. The wisps started to circle around one another as well, twisting to form simple patterns, that eventually grew more complex ones.
Selenity watched in awe. The patters slowly dissipated, and the crystal remained glowing and hovering. Diana took her hands away, and Selenity felt the strain coming back. "That was beautiful," she said, still staring at the crystal.
Diana smiled. "I want you to do that now. Not on such a large scale, but start out small. You know what the power shifts feel like now, so try doing it yourself."
Selenity nodded, and concentrated. Nothing happened. Granted, the crystal did glow brighter, but no glimmering mist appeared. Diana came over, and stood before Selenity again. "This is why you need your eyes open. Don't imagine it there, see it there." Selenity stared at the crystal, and tried to see the mist there. She gritted her teeth and started to draw out the wisps with her eyes. Slowly, little glimmers started to appear from the crystal, slowly circling it. Selenity nearly squeaked with excitement, but kept her focus. Even though the wisps were oddly sized, all different lengths, not forming any shapes at all, Selenity was pleased. She didn't even seem to notice the fatigue in her body as she kept going. It wasn't until her mother laid a hand on her shoulder and told her to stop did she allow the mist and glow to dissipate.
She looked up at her mother and grinned. "That was amazing. I actually did it!" she said, unable to keep the excitement from her voice. Diana smiled, and handed Selenity some water, and took the crystal from her.
"I enjoyed that too when my mother taught it to me. She taught me when I was much more advanced in training, and only allowed me to do that after training sessions were completed. It took me many years to master the skill. It's not really useful, but it does help boost your confidence, and allows you to become stronger while enjoying the experience."
"Was that the best that you could do mama, what you showed me?" Selenity asked, causing Diana to chuckle.
"No, not at all. It is difficult to do though when you still had a certain amount of control over the crystal," she replied. Diana then went and stood in the center of the room and held the crystal out, causing it to hover and glow effortlessly. The swirling mist appeared again, and patterns started to form. Soon, the entire room was filled with the swirling patterns, all combining to form one large one. The very walls seemed to glimmer. Slowly the entire room seemed to disappeared, and Selenity could see some of the patters swirling to form trees, and flowers. She felt like she was in a white sparkling garden, where everything was made of the smallest diamonds, with the sun shining on everything. A butterfly flew by her, leaving a shimmering trail dust behind itself, its wings constantly swirling into different patterns.
The scene was interrupted by a knock on the door. Diana sighed, sorry that she had to make the illusion disappear already, when she was just getting started. Selenity was rather disappointed as well, since she had been enjoying the display. Diana brought the crystal back down, and looked to the door. "Enter," she called. The doors opened, and Yokiro, her mother's General entered. Selenity smiled at him, but her smile dropped when she saw a familiar person walk in behind him. Artemis. Following Artemis was a young woman Selenity had never seen before, with long dark, curly hair.
"Yokiro, what do you….Oh, Artemis! What brings you here?" Diana asked as Artemis and Yokiro bowed, and the woman curtsied.
"My Lady, Artemis brings urgent news from Jupiter," Yokiro said. Artemis glanced at Selenity, and then looked at the Queen.
"Very well. Please speak Artemis," Diana said.
Artemis looked at her sadly. "My Lady, I came here as soon as the message reached Jupiter, where I was staying. I fear, and it is with great difficulty that I deliver this message….Lord Takahashi has been defeated."
Selenity gasped, her hand flying to the chain around her neck. Diana looked shocked. "Did he surrender to the Queen, or was he captured?" she asked.
Artemis looked like he was in great emotional pain, but he kept his composure. "I fear, my Lady, that neither. The entire planet was destroyed, along with everyone on it." Diana shook her head sadly, and looked to the ground.
"My Lady, should I…." Yokiro started, and Diana nodded her head.
"Yes. You know what to do," she said, then looked back up at Artemis as Yokiro exited the room. "I am truly sad to hear this. Did no one survive?"
Artemis shook his head. "No one my Lady, save for myself and two others. They were going home with Prince Kinotsu, but he sent them back to Jupiter, to escort Lady Luna here," he said, gesturing to the woman with him, "but no one else."
"What about the Prince?" Diana asked, noticing her daughter staring at them in shocked silence.
Artemis looked at the Princess sadly, then at the Queen. "He was traveling form Lady Luna's planet home, and the trip should have taken about a week. It was two weeks after he left her planet that his was destroyed. We have thus far received no other news, but as far as we know, no one survived."'
Diana nodded. "Thank you for delivering this message. It must have been difficult for you. If it so pleases you, stay here for now ( I don't know what to say about this sentence… But it's really looks weird and sounds odd too…). The chambers you usually have when visiting are empty, you may use them for the time being. We will talk after dinner." Artemis nodded, and after giving a quick bow, left, followed by Luna.
Selenity was staring at the window, her entire body numb. He couldn't be dead, she would have known. Her eyes were bright with unshed tears, and she felt her mother walk up to her and sit next to her. Selenity's entire body was rigid, her mind refusing to accept what Artemis had just said. Diana placed a hand on her daughters shoulder. "Selenity," she said gently, "Luv….I am so sorry."
Selenity didn't know what to say. It didn't seem real. He couldn't be gone just like that. It wasn't possible. "He's not dead…" she said, her voice emotionless and empty.
"Sweetheart…he……"Diana paused, not really sure what to say.
"I should have stopped him from going," Selenity said in the same cold, monotone voice.
Diana looked at her tenderly. "There is nothing that you cold have done. You could not have stopped him from going home."
Selenity shook her head. "I could have. If I had asked, he would not have gone. I wanted him to stay, but I didn't say anything." Her voice went an octave higher, but remained void of emotion.
"My dear, as a friend, you don't have a right to restrain him from doing something he sees as right and necessary. He needed to go and help his father…" Her eye caught a glimmer in her daughter's hand, and glanced down. Selenity was toying with a chain, two circles hanging from it.
"No. But as a wife, I have a right to demand the safety of my husband," Selenity spat out, as her fist enclosed the two rings, her voice dripping with iciness and frustration, a pain that sliced right through Diana's heart before she even registered the words Selenity had spoken.
"Your what?" she asked as the words hit her. It was too late though, her heart was already bleeding with pity for her daughter, and she could not be angry at the moment. Selenity turned her eyes to look at her mother for the first time since Artemis had left, her eyes glossy and brimming with tears.
"Mama…." she squeaked, her voice cracking. She held out her hand, in her palm resting the two rings. Diana stared at the two bands, each bearing Kino's crest. "That's why I can't marry Mars," Selenity whispered.
Diana knew she should be furious. Here her daughter was telling her that she was already married in secret, that she had thrown the marriage treaty between her and Mars out the window, that she was about to cause another possible war. Yet, when Diana looked back up into her daughter's eyes, the pain and sorrow in their depths, tears raining from them now, she remembered her own love, the one she lost the day she married another…she had not defied the arranged marriage. She thought of the man she left behind, and it erased all anger she could have had. Instead of yelling, she wrapped her arms around her daughter. Selenity buried her face in her mother's chest and started to sob uncontrollably. Diana smoothed her hair, and held her close, tears forming in her own eyes. She would ask questions later.

After dinner, Diana took Artemis and Yokiro to a small library. They had discussed many things over the hours that followed, and now she had reached some conclusions.
Diana sighed as she looked at Artemis. "You may stay here, and remain as part of the court. I will sign the papers tomorrow."
Artemis nodded his head and bowed. "Thank you my Lady. It means a lot to me." It had been a rough day. Selenity had refused to come to dinner, and had been sulking in her room. It was now nearly midnight, and Diana was tired. Only a half an hour earlier, another ship had arrived in the port with more news, and now Diana was in a chamber with the occupants of the ship, Artemis, and Yokiro. There had been much to discuss, and yet there was still more to do. However, Diana could see the weariness of everyone's faces, and decided to call it a night.
"I think it would be best if we all went to sleep for tonight, and continued this on in the morning." All of the men nodded, and started putting papers away. Diana turned to the crew of the ship which had just arrived.
"You know the way to your quarters. I wish to speak with you directly after breakfast however," the men nodded, and after bowing, left the room.
Yokiro looked to Diana. "Tomorrow is going to be a long day."
Diana nodded. "I know. And it's going to be a long war too probably." Both Yokiro and Artemis nodded, then after excusing themselves, left.
Diana sat in her seat for a few moments, contemplating all of the new information she had received in the last half hour. She placed her hands on the armrests and stood up. She was pretty sure Selenity would still be awake, and she doubted her daughter would sleep much at all that night. She gave a soft sigh as she walked to her own room, looking forward to falling asleep as quickly as possible.

Selenity was sitting at her window, gazing out at the star studded sky. The tears on her face were cold and almost dry now, but she knew that new ones would replace them soon. Her lip trembled, but she bit her tongue to keep from crying again. She tasted blood, and stopped biting down so hard, but then the tears came, sliding down her cheeks. They reached the corners of her mouth and mixed with the blood. She lay her head on her knees that she was hugging, and let the salty streams flow.
I can't believe that he's gone. It shouldn't be like this. He was good….no one should have to die when they're good. He didn't deserve to die, all he wanted was peace and the happiness of others. There is no reason why he should have sacrificed his life the way he did. Doesn't he know that I can't live without him?
"I could just end it all," she murmured to herself.
She felt her whole body tremble as she slid from the window and walked over to her desk. She had made the trip well over a dozen times already, each time being the same. She gazed at the ornate knife, the one she used to open her letters. The blade was sharp, and would easily slice her own skin….but she walked away again and sat in the window. She had never felt this sad before, she felt like the pain was eating away at her soul. She felt alone, and cold. She felt there was nothing that could bring her joy. She thought of the knife again.
He would be so upset if he knew I was thinking of hurting myself. I want to die, I don't want to live, but that is not something he would have wanted. I know I would go crazy if he hurt himself because of me. It would be so easy to take the blade and end it all….but I can't. It would hurt him too much if he knew…if he was alive…..
"I can't bring myself to hurt him…" she said.
She blew on the glass of the window and drew a heart with her trembling finger. The fog she created, faded, and she allowed her fingers to slide down the smooth pane.
It faded, just like his life.
She could feel her heart being shattered even more than it already was as she stared at the window. Her vision blurred with more tears. All of her muscles quivered with the raw emotion her heart was pouring out.
There was a knock on the door. Selenity sighed. "I asked not to be disturbed," she called out, her voice cracking. There wasn't a second knock. Selenity stared at the spot where the heart had been.
I can make the heart come back so easily, all I have to do is blow on the glass again. There, see, it's back now. Just like that. I didn't even need to draw it again.
"I only wish blowing on glass could bring him back," she said out loud to herself.
"I guess you could say it did," a voice from beside her said. Selenity's eyes grew wide and her heart leapt into her throat as she snapped her head around to look at the person. He stood there, about two meters from her, his hair messy, his clothing crumpled, his arms hanging limply at his sides. He looked like he had not slept in days, and there was stubble on his face….yet Selenity thought she had never seen anything so magnificent in her life.
Her legs shook as she swung them onto the floor and stood, clasping her hands to her chest. Her eyes glittered with tears, her mouth open in shock. Her entire body was paralyzed as she stared at the man before her. Never in her life had her heart danced so wildly in her chest, and she was finding breathing is a difficult task. Her palms were sweating, and her whole body shook with an uncontrollable desire to believe what she was seeing.
"Kino…." she whispered.
He smiled a little. "Yeah," he said weakly, and that was all it took to make Selenity run into his arms. She slammed into him, but he stood his ground, wrapping his arms protectively around her shoulders. She wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face into his chest, allowing herself to sob. He squeezed her tight, letting her cry. His own eyes were clouded with tears. "Yeah, it's me," he said, this time his voice cracking. He held her as close as he could "And I'm never leaving you again," he said fiercely. Selenity buried her face even deeper into his chest, and kept sobbing. Nothing could have torn them apart at the moment. Finally, he scooped her up and carried her to the bed, kissing away all of her tears. She asked no questions, gave no protests, as he lay her down, and once again, made her his.

A/N: Well, I hope that chapter was worth the wait. I have been sick, and my mind was toast for the past while, so I got no writing done. Anyway, hope you liked that, and any questions regarding why he is alive, all the details will be in the next chapter. Anja.
Next Chapter : Chapter 24 So You're my Son in Law
HUhuhu…. Touching…