Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Altered Destinies! ❯ Meet the Parents! ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Meet the Parents

"I'm really sorry about this, Mako-chan," they heard Ami say as she and Makoto walked in to the room together.

"It's not your fault," Makoto smiled down at her gently.

They were planning on doing a study buddies and scout meeting combo tonight, so the three Outers, Natsuna and Minako were all there along with Rei and Usagi sitting around the table. Artemis was there, which meant that Luna and the kittens were staying home at Usagi's, sadly. Minako and Natsuna, having both graduated, were often consulted for help with tests, along with the three Outers, but Ami was the admitted expert. They couldn't really start studying until she arrived, and they were all mildly startled by her late arrival.

"What's wrong, Ami?" Michiru asked curiously. She kept a cautious eye on what was happening outside, where Chibi-Usa and Hotaru were playing together.

Ami looked up cautiously at Makoto, who just smiled and shrugged helplessly. Ami took a deep breath before saying, "I sort of mentioned Makoto to my Mother, and before I knew it my Mom had invited her to dinner!"

Natsuna raised her eyebrow thoughtfully as she looked up at them, "Does she know about you two being...?"

Ami blushed fiercely, "No."

"That could be awkward," Haruka admitted.

"Are you going to tell her?" Michiru tilted her head to the side curiously.

Ami blew her breath out nervously, "I don't know."

Makoto gently took Ami's hand in hers, "You know I don't mind."

"I'm just not sure how my mother would take it," Ami looked down at the table with a soft sigh. She looked worried, "What if she forbids me to see Makoto?"

"Once she meets Makoto," Minako said comfortingly, "I'm sure she'll like her, Ami."

Natsuna smirked, "Remember when I met your parents?"

Minako sighed softly, "OK, that didn't go well." Everyone looked over at her curiously, so she elaborated, "My father all but accused her of corrupting a minor. My poor mom just sat there, very, very quietly."

"Did they ever come around?" Ami asked, looking rather white.

"Actually, yes," Natsuna smiled. "Once they figured out that Minako and I were serious, they began to accept me into the family," she shrugged.

"Hope things go that well for us," Rei reached out to gently take Usagi's hand.

A completely unruffled Setsuna smiled slightly, "So tonight's the night you present Usagi to your Grandfather?"

"What?" Ami looked over at them in surprise.

Rei blushed, "I sort of blurted out to my Grandfather that I'm interested in girls. He wants to meet my girlfriend to see if he approves!"

Makoto had a slight smile on her face as she looked at the blushing Rei and Usagi, "And he doesn't know it's Usagi?"

"She wanted to ask me before she told," Usagi took Rei's hand in her own.

"At least he knows," Haruka smiled. She looked slyly over at Michiru, "We just sort of sprung our relationship on Michiru's mom."

"I think we were more surprised by what happened than she was," Michiru chuckled.

"What happened?" Usagi asked eagerly.

"We'd been trying to tell her a few times," Haruka smiled, "but we never seemed to time it right. She had company, was just going out, or something else happened."

"Finally, we get her there, alone, and we sat down in the living room to have some tea. And all the while I'm trying to figure out how to say it," Michiru was blushing faintly.

"So Michiru finally sits forward and blurts out, 'Haruka and I are lovers, Mother.' She calmly sits there drinking her tea," and Haruka mimes the motion, "and says, 'Of course, dear. I saw that the first time you brought her over.' And the two of us looked at each other dumbfounded."

"She was just waiting for us to tell her," Michiru sighed.

"Just like my parents," Haruka nodded. "I think they already had their suspicions, but my bringing home Michiru pretty much confirmed it. Not that there haven't been a few bumps in the road," and Haruka reached over to take Michiru's hand, "but I think it's been worth it."

Ami took a deep breath, "Let's just hope things go well."

"Your mother loves you," Artemis said to Ami quietly, "and I'm sure that she wants you to be happy." A smile, "Just help her understand that Makoto is the one who does that."

Makoto nodded, "Artemis is right, Ami."

The meeting broke up soon after, the various ladies going their separate ways. Chibi-Usa had asked to spend the night with Hotaru, so Usagi decided to save time and stayed at the temple with Rei. The dinner was in about half an hour, so Usagi asked Rei's permission to go use her room to change out of her school uniform.

Rei herself picked something comforting out to wear, a pair of dark pants and white shirt. It felt good, almost like she was Tuxedo Kamen, and it gave her a burst of strength. 'I just hope I won't need it," Rei thought.

"I'm ready," Usagi slid the screen aside, and Rei's breath caught in her throat. The white dress shimmered in the sunlight, hugging a slim form while leaving shoulders bare. A bit of make up, and a simple necklace finished her clothes.

"You're beautiful," was all that Rei could manage.

Usagi smiled, looking much less perfect as she said, "And you're handsome tonight."

Rei gently took Usagi's arm, "Let's go." They walked to where Rei knew her Grandfather would be waiting for them, and tapped on the frame gently.

Grandfather slid the screen aside and looked at them gravely, "Yes?"

"Grandpa," Rei smiled, gently drawing Usagi into his line of sight, "I'd like you to meet my lover, Usagi Tsukino."

"I hope I'm not too disappointing," Usagi smiled tentatively.

Grandfather surprised them with a broad smile, "I'm not disappointed at all, I'm glad." He lead them inside, "I thought I saw something between you when we first met..."

Across the city Ami looked up at the clock worriedly. 'She'll be here soon,' Ami thought to herself nervously. She took a breath and checked her clothes in the mirror. The white shirt, vest, and blue pants hadn't changed in the five minutes since she had checked them last.

"You look fine, Ami," her Mom caught her checking. She smiled at her gently, "I don't think I've seen you this nervous before. Are you worried about my meeting your friend?"

"Sort of," Ami admitted.

"I'm just glad you're having a friend over," her Mother said quietly, and Ami looked up at her in surprise. She took her glasses off, pushing her hair back, "I'm not the most sociable of people, and I was scared I rubbed off on you."

"No, I have good friends," Ami smiled up at her Mom, silently adding, 'at least since I met Usagi and the others.'

"And Makoto," Ami's Mother asked casually, "is she a very dear friend?"

"Yes," Ami answered her without thinking.

Ami's eyes widened as her Mother beamed, crushing her in a hug as she exclaimed, "I knew it! Oh, Ami, I'm so happy for you!"

Ami looked up at her Mother in disbelief as she squeaked, "You're not mad?"

"Of course not!" Mother smiled happily.

"You don't seem very surprised," Ami managed to get out.

"I'm not," her Mother actually smirked. "You never dated, you dress so boyish, and most importantly you've mentioned your friend Makoto in almost every second sentence for weeks," she pointed out. "The first two might have just been because you're a good girl, but not the third one," she nodded firmly.

Before Ami could say anything, the doorbell rang. "That must be Makoto," Ami said, as she and her mother got the door.

"Welcome to our home," Ami's Mother smiled.

"Thank you for having me," Makoto bowed. The three of them walked into the living room, Ami and Makoto sitting together on the couch while Ami's mom went to get refreshments.

"She knows," Ami managed to whisper to Makoto while she was gone.

Before Makoto could answer Ami's Mom came back in with a tray, giving them each a glass of soda and leaving snacks on the table beside them.

"So, how long have you and Ami been dating?" Mom asked with a grin, nearly making poor Makoto spit out her drink with surprise.

Swallowing with difficulty Makoto managed to get out, "A few months."

Ami tried hard not to laugh as she though, 'This is going to be an interesting evening.'