Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Alternate Destiny ❯ End of the Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Alternate Destiny
Author: Lady Anikka
Timeline: Alternate 2nd Season and on
Note: This story is posted at www.fanfiction.net under the name of Sailor Memory, one of my other alias. Just letting you know.
Disclaimer: I don't own Sailor Moon. It's owned by Naoko Takeuchi.

Part 1-End of the Beginning
**********
Serena stared out the window at the Moon, unable to sleep. She hadn't been sleeping for days really. Rubeus was becoming more and more dangerous. Serena could still remember the look on her friends faces during the last battle, yesterday.

*"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MEATBALL HEAD!" Mars exploded, "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO GET HERE?????????????????????? Lemmie guess, you had to finish the Sailor V game, or you just had to finish your ice cream? Right?"

Sailor Moon stared at Mars, then turned to the other Sailors and asked quietly, "Mars has made how she feels perfectly clear. Do you all feel this way?"

Mercury's voice was still gentle, but there was a firm note in it as well, "We've told you time and again Sailor Moon. You need to take your duties as leader of the Sailor Scouts and as Princess Serenity more seriously. Rubeus's droids are getting stronger.
If it hadn't been for Tuxedo Mask's timely intervention, one of us could have been seriously hurt."

"Mars did ask a good question though," Jupiter interjected, "What DID take you so long to get here?"

Venus nodded as well, wanting to know too.

Quietly, Sailor Moon told them, "I was doing my homework."

For a moment all was silent, then the four of them burst out laughing. Sailor Moon looked at them with hurt in her eyes. They didn't notice.

"That... was a riot... Serena," Mars said as she gasped for air. Then she composed herself and continued, "But Mercury was right. You are definitely slacking off. Are you ever going to get your act together?"

If someone had been listening closely enough, you could probably hear the sound of breaking glass, the breaking of Serena's already fragile heart. She silently stared into each of their eyes and saw that each was thinking the same thing.

Sighing, she did something no one expected. She said, "Alright, since you all feel that I am an incompentant leader, then we'll have it your way. I am hereby resigning as Leader of the Sailor Scouts." She threw her scepter down at Mars's feet and continued, "There Mars, now you can be leader, just like you always wanted." With that, Sailor Moon turned and walked away.

"Go on then," sneered Mars, "We don't need you!"

The four Sailor Scouts watched their leader, excuse me, FORMER leader, walk away from them. They were so preoccupied that they didn't notice Luna walk up to them, who had steam pouring out of her ears.

"What," she whispered dangerously, "Did you think you were doing?"

Mars looked down at Luna in surprise. She'd never heard the little black cat use that tone of voice. "She just left. We don't need her anymore Luna! She's a Meatball head who doesn't take ANYTHING seriously!"

Luna was silent for a moment, then, without warning, she blew up, yelling, "DO YOU HAVE *ANY* IDEA WHAT SHE HAS BEEN GOING THROUGH LATELY MARS!!?? SHE HAS BEEN CONSTANTLY NAGGED AT BY YOU FOUR, ALONG WITH MYSELF OCCASIONALLY. HER HOME LIFE HAS BEEN MADE A LIVING H*LL BECAUSE A GIRL WE AREN'T EVEN SURE OF INVADES AND PRACTICALLY TURNS HER ENTIRE FAMILY AGAINST HER!
THEN HER *SOULMATE* TEARS WHATS LEFT OF HER HEART APART!!! AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, YOU ACCUSE HER OF SLACKING OFF WHEN SHE WAS ATTACKED ON HER WAY HERE!!!!!!!"

The four girls went pale at this revelation. "What do you mean," whispered Venus.

Taking a deep breath, Luna answered somewhat calmly, "She was on her way here to help when she was attacked by another youma. She managed to make it out alive and arrive here in time to save YOUR skins and that was how you repaid her."

Everyone was silent, when suddenly Mars fell to her knees, whispering, "What have I done?"

Luna ignored her and took off.*

Serena sighed. Luna had come home to find her sitting on her bed, staring at the Moon, obviously lost in the memories of happier times for them all. She went to sleep, but stayed in the bed for once.

Sighing again, Serena broke her gaze on the Moon. She knew what she had to do.

**********

Since it was Saturday, Serena probably would have slept in until noon, but instead was up with the chickens. *(AN~ Lame I know, but I couldn't resist it!)* She walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. Her parents, brother, and 'cousin' looked up in surprise.

"Meatball head is up early," sneered Rini, "The world must coming to an end."

Kenji, Ilene, and Sammy braced themselves for an invetable explosion and thus were quite surprised when none came. Looking up, they saw Serena looking at her parents, totally ignoring her 'cousin'.

"Mom, Dad," she asked quietly, "Can I talk to you? Alone?"

"Sure sweetie," Ilene answered, wanting to find out what had caused her daughter to back off from a baiting from Rini, which she had always rose to. The three moved into the study.

Quietly, the three sat down, Ilene and Kenji on the couch and Serena in the chair across from them.

For a moment, Serena didn't meet their patient gazes. She looked down to collect herself and firmly lifted her head. She said to them, "Mom, Dad, you can obviously see that things are not working out for me here. My grades are suffering and my friends are starting to drift. I am seriously in need of a change."

With a raised eyebrow, Kevin asked, "What do you suggest Serena?"

Closing her eyes, she told them, "I was thinking that I could go stay with Uncle Byron and Aunt Melody over in Napa. They've got great schools over there and I would be with people that I know. I talked with both of them last night and they said as long as you agreed, they'd allow it."

Alarmed, Ilene stated, "But Serena, are you sure you want to leave your friends and that nice boy, oh whats his name? Darien! That's it! Are you..."

She trailed off at the sight of her daughters now pale face and tears welling up in her eyes. Ilene could see that this was hard enough for her, so she didn't press the issue. Turning to her husband, they held a silent conversation with their eyes only. Turning back, Kenji told her, "Serena, we'll do this on a trial basis. You can go over for six months. If there is a improvement and your aunt and uncle are still willing, then you can stay over there."

Serena's blue eyes, which had been dark with worry, suddenly reverted back to her normal bright, happy blue eyes. She flew out of her chair and hurled herself into their arms, yelling, "Oh thank you, thank you soooooooooooo much Mom, Dad!! You WON'T regret this!" With that, Serena bounced out of the study and up to her room to start packing.

Thus, she didn't hear Ilene whisper, "I don't know about that Serena..."

**********

Three days later, Serena was packed and ready to go. She'd said goodbye to Molly, Melvin, Andrew, and all of her non-scout friends, now all that remained were the Scouts and Darien.

'I could just write them a letter,' she thought as she stared out at the moon, 'Its not like I owe them anything really.' Serena sighed. She knew she couldn't do that. It was too cruel.

Abruptly, she brightened. "Well duh," she said to herself. With that thought, she bolted out of the room in search of her intended object.

**********

Serena stared out the plane window the next morning and watch Tokyo fade behind her. Turning away from the sight, she pulled out a book and began to read.

**********

That same afternoon, a small package was delivered to the Cherry Hill Temple. Raye signed for it and then took it into her room, along with the note that had been attached to it.

Setting it down on her bed, Raye opened the letter. It said only:

~This box is to be opened in the presence of the following people-
Raye Hino, Priestess of the Cherry Hill Temple, Sailor Mars
Amy Mizuno, School Genius and future doctor, Sailor Mercury
Lita Kino, martial arts specialest and future cook, Sailor Jupiter
Mina Aino, Volleyball player and future actress, Sailor Venus
Darien Chiba, pre-med student, Tuxedo Mask
Luna and Artemis, the Lunar Guardian Cats

Raye dropped the note like it was a virus. Never taking her violet eyes off the letter, she pulled out her communicator and hit the all call button.

//Mercury here, yes?//

//This is Venus, whats up?//

//Jupiter hearing you loud and clear.//

//This is Tuxedo Mask.//

In a shaky voice, Raye said, "Guys, I think you should get over here. Like right now. And bring Luna and Artemis with you. This is definitely scout business."

A chorus of we're on our way's rang out before the line went dead.

Moving back to the box, Raye sat down beside it.

**********

It only took fifteen minutes for the others to get to the temple. By the time Darien, the last to arrive, showed up, they were itching to see what was in the box.

Before Lita could rip into it, Darien halted her and asked, "Whoever sent this to us knows our identities. Could this have been sent by Rubeus to get rid of us?"

Amy shook her head, "There isn't anyway Darien. I gave that thing a thorough scan. There is absolutely no negative energy. And besides, the note did not include Sailor Moon, and we all know how much Rubeus would love to get rid of her. Go ahead Lita, open it."

Nodding, Lita attacked the box. As soon as it was opened, everyone gathered around it. They all gasped at what they saw.

Inside the box lay a tiara, the Luna Pen, and familiar scepter. Mina slowly picked out each object and set it all down in front of them. She then turned and glanced back in the box and told everyone, "Guys, there's a video tape in there too."

Luna, who had tears in her eyes, whispered, "Put it in the VCR Venus, I have a feeling that it will explain all of this."

Agreeing, Mina did just that. They all moved in front of Raye's TV and began to watch.

A full moon appeared on the screen. A moment passed and then Serena appeared in front of it. Presently, she began to speak.

"Hello Scouts. No doubt you all have questions as to why a box has just been delivered containing this video, the Luna Pen, my tiara, and the Scepter. Well, when I said that I had resigned as leader, I was dead serious. Not only that, but I am also leaving Tokyo. Don't bother asking my parents where because I asked them not to tell anyone. I don't know how long I'll be gone, or if I'll ever come back. Since you guys hate me so much, there isn't really much keeping me here anymore. I know my family will know where to come visit me, so that's all taken care of."

Serena paused, took a breath, and continued, "Take care of Rini for me. Sooner or later, the Darkmoon will be defeated and she'll be able to return home. She may be a brat, but I still care about her. Girls, keep working toward your dreams, I know you'll make it. I believe in you.

Sighing, she came to the last part of her message, "Darien, I know you are watching this as well. I suppose I will always love you, even if you don't love me anymore. I'll always remember the time we had together on the Moon, the fun we had teasing each other during the fight against the Negaverse, and even the little time we had together in this life. Still, you've moved on obviously, and now its time for me to follow your example.

But remember this my friends. As I said before, I don't know if I'll ever be back. Perhaps, perhaps not. I am seriously in need of a change, to get away from the things that have seriously held me back over these few years. I'll really miss you, especially you Lunakins. Artemis, take care of her for me. I'm sorry I couldn't be the leader you all needed. Farewell."

With those final words, the tape ended.

By now, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. Even Darien was crying silently, never noticing the tears coming down his face. Slowly, he rose from his spot on the floor and left the temple.

One by one, everyone else got up and left, now realizing what they'd just blithly thrown away: the friendship of a lifetime. They'd all blown it BIG time.
**********

End Part 1-End of the Beginning