Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Alternate Destiny ❯ Voices of the Past ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 6: Voices of the Past

*~*~*~*~*

The drive to Susan's house was filled with uneasy silence. Harmony was sitting by the back passenger window, not looking at any of them. Vicki sat next to her and kept glancing at her worriedly. In the middle seat, Susan and Serena sat in their seats,
quietly trying to figure out a way to explain everything to Harmony. Amara concentrated on the road, more than she usually did. Michelle had her eyes closed and seemed to be meditating.

When they finally arrived, Harmony immediately jumped out of the van and made her way to the house, the rest of them trying to keep up with her. Susan unlocked the door and led them in. Taking their jackets, she directed them into the sitting room while she hung up their jackets.

When Susan walked into the sitting room, everyone else was already sitting. Michelle, Amara, and Vicki were sitting on one of the white couches, Serena was sitting in the matching white chair diagnoally from them, while Harmony sat across from Michelle, Vicki, and Amara. Susan quietly sat down in the matching white chair across from Serena.

For a few moments, all five were silent. Then, Serena said softly, "Harmony, there are reasons that we didn't tell you."

"Reasons," spat Harmony as she glared at them fiercely, "What reasons would keep you from telling me that my cousin and four best friends are, are, are, are linked in the head and I am now linked to them as well. I suggest you spill everything you know before I totally loose it."

Sighing, Serena nodded her agreement. She then began to tell their remarkable tale, "A thousand years ago, our Moon was home to a great civilization ruled by a Queen named Serenity..."

*~*~*~*~*

"...And Queen Serenity sent her daughter, future son-in-law, the guardians, and all the people of the Moon to be reborn on 20th century Earth," Serena finished.

Thirty minutes later, the story of the Moon Kingdom had been told to an astonished Harmony. For a moment, she just stared at them, her mouth hanging open.

Trying to ease the tension in the room, Amara cracked, "You look like a fish, dear, close your mouth." This caused a few mouth corners to turn up as Harmony clamped her jaw shut.

Finally, she asked, "I'll give you this cousin, its one heck of a story. But what does it have to do with anything?"

Serena glanced over at Susan, who nodded slightly. Turning to her cousin, Serena stated, "I am the reincarnation of the High Princess of the Moon, Serenity. Vicki is the reincarnation of Sailor Saturn, Amara is Sailor Uranus, Michelle is Sailor Neptune, and Susan is Sailor Pluto."

If it wasn't possible for Harmony's eyes to grow any wider, then she proved that anything is possible. Then she realized, "So thats why you guys are mind linked! If the Princess were alone and in danger, then you would be able to sense the danger. One question though, how did I become linked with you?"

"We think," Susan said slowly, "That you might've been a member of the Lunar Court."

"WHAT!!!!???" Harmony had jumped out of her chair in her surprise, then slumped back down.

"On the other hand," added Michelle, "It could've happened on accident. We don't know for sure. We remember very little of our time on the Moon."

Harmony turned to Susan and inquired, "But you're the Guardian of Time! Can't you just look into the past and find out?"

Susan shook her head, "No. That particular time is closed to me. I am unable to see from the time the Princess was born, up until the Final Battle. That we all remember quite clearly." At those words, the five of them couldn't help but shiver slightly. "Plus," Susan added, "Unless I am at the Gate, I cannot see what is to come."

Harmony gave them a sympathetic glance. She couldn't imagine what it would be like, to remember seeing yourself die. Then she broke the silence, "Who were those eight guys at the mall then?"

Eyes narrowing, Serena answered, "Four of them were the four generals of Beryl, Kunzite, Jeadite, Nephlite, and Zoisite. As for the others, I have no clue, though they seem familiar somehow."

"We've got to prepare ourselves," stated Amara, "They seem to know who we are and could be targeting the Princess so they can get the Imperium Crystal from her."

"Right," added Vicki, "The Princess should not be left alone."

"Hey, wait a minute," Serena objected fiercely, "I can take care of-"

Susan interrupted gently, but firmly, "We don't know that the Generals are up to yet. Do you really think you could take on all four of them by yourself, especially if those other four assist them?"

Serena glared at her, but shook her head.

"Alright," nodded Susan then turned to the others, "She should be ok around people at school, but otherwise, one of us should always be with her at all times."

"What about me," demanded Harmony.

Everyone turned to her. The determined look in her eyes told them that she wanted to do something to help.

"You should tell us of any unusual dreams that you have," instructed Michelle, "We need to find out how you fit into all this. Something tells me that this is not a concidence."

Harmony nodded and they continued to plan.

*~*~*~*~*

That night, Serena stood out on her balcony. It was late, she should really get some sleep for school tomorrow, she had told herself. But her mind was so preoccupied with everything that had happened that day, she was still a little excited.

Serena gazed up at the Moon and whispered, "Mother, what is happening? I came here to get away from everything that had led me astray, but now I see that it has followed me. What is happening?"

Her eyes did not waver when the Moon answered with a slight flash, which probably indicated that it was listening. After a moment, it went back to its normal glow. Sighing, Serena turned and reentered her room.

Just as she was about to climb into bed, a bright light appeared up near her ceiling. Serena turned away, trying to protect her eyes. When she was able to see again, there stood a familiar figure.

"Mother," Serena whispered in shock. It hadn't been since the fiasco with Ann and Ail that she had spoken with the spirit of her Lunarian mother, but Serena had always felt her eyes upon her, watching and guarding her.

"Hello my little Serenity," came the Queen's silvery voice, "I know you have many questions right now."

"Of course I do," she answered readily, "I've found the Outer Guard, but why haven't they been made known to the Inner Guard? We're mindlinked, but Harmony has been connected to it as well! How is it possible? Only members of my guard and family were ever linked to me! And just how are the Generals of the Negaverse alive when I saw Nephlite and Kunzite die, Darien told me that Zoisite had been killed for direct insabordination?? Last I heard, you couldn't come back to life except with the help of the Imperium Crystal! What is going on Mother??? I am so confused!"

Queen Serenity smiled with sympathy and told her, "I wish I could answer all of your questions child, but I am afraid that is impossible right now. I will tell you this: the Generals are not what they were before. They've changed. When they approach you, hear them out. A good Queen must listen to all sides of a story. Harmony is mindlinked to you because she is... well, you'll find out soon enough. As for why the Inner Guard was never made aware of the Outer Guard, the two are not supposed to meet unless under the gravest circumstances. I'm afraid that it all I can tell you, sweet one. The rest, you'll have to figure out for yourself. Be patient."

Smiling wryly, Serena replied, "I guess a good Queen must have patience as well, right?"

"Now you're catching on."

The two laughed slightly before the Queen continued, "I am also hear to give you something: Your birthright, your inheritance, well, at least part of it."

This startled Serena. "What do you mean," she asked, "I thought that the Imperium Crystal was my birthright and my inheritance."

"The Imperium Crystal is quite powerful and is one small piece of your inheritance yes. Still, it is not the only treasure of the Moon. Each Moon Princess is born with their own power that lies dormant until they become Queen. But I am almost gone, and you will need it sooner than you think. Also, much of what you learned back on the Moon has been locked away deep inside of your mind. It is now time for you to unleash that knowledge."

Before Serena could say anything, the Imperium Crystal appeared above her head and began to glow. Its light showered down upon her and she rose in the air. Serena's nightgown faded to reveal an exquisite, form-fitting white dress. It was beautiful, but it wasn't at all like her Princess Serenity dress. This one seemed to be more of a dress for battle. Around her waist was a silver belt with a gold crescent moon as a buckle. At her side, she held a staff with a crescent moon on the top. It seemed to glow with energy.

Finally, Serena eyes opened again and she turned to her mother, who was watching her, smiling bittersweetly. "I'm so proud of you," she whispered as her eyes filled with happy tears, "You will be a grand Queen one day Serenity. Now, I must go. You will see me one more time, when you prepare to take the throne. Be strong and remember, to forgive means not to forget, it means to move on." With that, Queen Serenity disappeared and returned to her home, the Moon.

At that same moment, Serena's transformation disapated and she fell onto her bed, exhausted. She fell asleep immediately, the Moon watching her from the open balcony door.

*~*~*~*~*

The next morning, Melody and Byron gave Harmony and Serena a ride to their school, Selene High. It was an old building, but it had a calming effect on those who saw it. Vines covered it in many places and fountains were scattered throughout the courtyard in the front. The students were milling about talking and laughing with their friends when the four walked up. Everyone of them waved at Harmony and smiled friendly at Serena, who was, to them, a friend of Harmony's. Passing through the crowds, they made their way inside and to the guidance office.

They were greeted by a smiling secretary who greeted each one of them then sent them into the office of the guidance counselor.

The guidance counselor's name was Mr. Tripp. He was a pleasant, chubby, balding man that reminded Serena of Ms. Lambert's husband. He greeted them with a cordial, "Mr. and Mrs. Nelson, Harmony," pausing he turned to Serena and added, "and you must be the Serena we've heard so much about."

Nodding, Serena replied softly, "Yes sir."

Mr. Tripp handed her a paper and said to her, "If you'll choose out your classes, we'll get your schedule printed out and send you off to class."

Serena scanned the classes. She had to take English, Math, Science, History, and Lunch of course. That left her with five periods left to choose from. She gazed at the electives and quickly made her decision. "Music, French I, Theatre, Geography, and Band please."

Acknowledging her choices, Mr. Tripp entered them into the computer. Hitting print, they waited for the schedule to appear out of the printer next to his desk.

When Mr. Tripp handed Serena the paper, she read it over.

1st period: English (yuck)........................Melinda Avery
2nd period: Math (yuck again)................Jim Black
3rd period: Theatre (Yeah!)...................Carry Riggs
4th period: French I (hmm...)..................Danelle Musset
5th period: Lunch (Whoohoo!)...............Mr. Handa (principle)
6th period: History (Whohoo!)................Zach Beldan
7th period: Science (ok).........................Nicholas Fox
8th period: Music (Yeah!)......................Sara Gardiner
9th period: Geography (I need it)...........Kyle Lyran
10th period: Band (need to practice).....Gary North

"Look at that," exclaimed Harmony from her position at Serena's shoulder, "Except for Science and Math, all of our classes are the same!"

"Thank goodness," agreed Serena, "At least there will be someone I know and I won't be completely isolated."

"I think you'll like it here," interrupted Mr. Tripp, "The kids are friendly, and the staff enjoys working with them. Your locker is number 1913 and the combination is 13, 49, 15."

Serena smiled at him. He was so much more pleasant than the teachers and principles back in Tokyo. They were almost constantly grouchy.

"Your teachers will be expecting you," Mr. Tripp told her. He paused when the bell rang signalling the studants to enter the building, then added, "You better get going."

Grinning, the two girls hoisted their backpacks and tore out of the office, leaving three smiling adults.

*!*

After stowing her lunch in her locker, Serena and Harmony made their way to Ms. Avery's English class up on the third floor. When they got there, they found only a few people in there, along with a woman with light purple, shoulder length hair sitting at the desk at the front of the room.

Quietly, the two girls walked up to the woman. She looked up from the papers that she was working on and smiled at them. "Hello Harmony," she said pleasantly, "How was your weekend?"

"It was... filled with surprises," Harmony answered wryly, "to say the least." She turned to Serena and smiled even more brilliantly, asking, "And who is this?"

"This is my cousin Serena Tsukino," Harmony told her, "She's just moved over here from Japan and is staying with my parents and me."

"'My parents and I,' Harmony," Ms. Avery corrected her gently, then she turned back to Serena and said, "I hope you'll enjoy this class Serena. I try to make it as enjoyable as possible for my students."

Nodding shyly, Serena replied, "Thank you Ms. Avery."

"Why don't you take a seat next to Harmony. Today we're going to begin reading 'I, Victoria' by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. I'll go to the store room and get you a copy."

Acknowledging her, the two girls took a seat in the front. Harmony quickly explained the reason they were reading 'I, Victoria,' which was to answer the question: 'Is their such a thing as soulmates?' Serena couldn't help at smile sadly at that and think, 'I used to think so.'

When that was finished, Harmony began telling her about the people in the class. There was Megan Baughman, the 'leader with a temper' of the class, Leera Jacobs, the 'bookworm,' and Dameon Baughman, Megan's brother, and hunkiest guy in the school. When Serena saw him, she couldn't deny that he was cute, but he had nothing on Darien.

That was when the bell rang, signalling the beginning of 1st period. Ms. Avery came in just then with Serena's book. Handing it to her, she smiled and headed back to her desk to start class.

*~*~*~*~*

That night, Serena thought over her schedule with new opinions:

English: TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!
Math: *snooze*
Theatre: Cool!
French: Interesting.
Lunch: Unavoidable of course!
History: Fasinating
Science: *yawn*
Music: Ok, I guess.
Geography: Ok too.
Band: Will definitely help with flute playing.

Over all, things were definitely looking up for Serena here in Napa. For the first time in almost two years, she was content. She fell asleep with a smile on her face.

*****
End Part 5: Voices of the Past