Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Angel Standing By ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







ASBch2



AN: ..... oh.... my... GOD!!!!! I GOT 98 REVIEWS ON THIS AND THERE ARE ONLY TWO CHAPTERS!!!! I DIDN'T GET THAT MANY IN FIVE CHAPTERS OF MY OTHER STORY!!!! Boy... a LOT of people must like Vegeta/Serena romances! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! IT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME!!! I'VE DECIDED TO GET THE NEXT PART OUT SOONER BECAUSE OF ALL THE REVIEWS!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! This chapter is mostly Vegeta's thoughts... Sorry!! But you do get to hear how he knows he, and some other important info... a lot of fluff, sort of... BUT I HOPE YOU LIKE IT ANYWAY!!!


Chapter Two

Vegeta flew up into the air, cradling his precious cargo carefully. Once he was high enough, he transported himself back to the place he had been staying.
It wasn't a place you could get to any other way; Vegeta sometimes wondered if it was real at all. Or perhaps even in another dimension. It was an area of pure white. The ground was solid, though it and the walls looked almost to be made of clouds. One room held his bed and a fire place where he sometimes cooked meals, even though he no longer had to eat. For some reason, he still needed sleep, though very little. Other than that, the room was bare.
The second room was also pure white, and bare except for two things. One was a pool in the center of the room. It was on top of a small pillar. The water seemed to be made of liquid glass, and it showed Vegeta the mortal world. Whatever he wanted to see would be shown. The second thing in the room was a portal. It would take him down to earth. He had the ability to become invisible, so he used it often.
He had been there nearly a year, watching the mortal world... or rather, one specific part of the mortal world.
Serena.
Vegeta materialized in the bedroom and gently laid her on the bed. He used his powers to heal her, but they weren't enough to heal her completely. He had already healed her several days before, and he didn't have much of that kind of power. His job was to look after and protect Serena, but not to directly interfere with her. And that included healing her. But he had broken the rules several times already to partially heal her in battle when she hurt, and once when she ws sick, which had happened just recently. He knew that someday there would be a price for breaking the rules, but he didn't care.
Exhausted from the energy he had just used, he sank to the floor. Serena's wounds were looking better, and some had healed almost entirely. He set to work bandaging the parts that still needed it.
His heart felt heavy, and it hurt him to see her in pain. The knowledge that he hadn't been there in time, that he had failed to protect her ate away at him and he felt like he couldn't bare it. He felt like he didn't deserve her. He had vowed to always watch after her, and when she needed him the most... he wasn't there. And she had gotten hurt.
If only she hadn't been there that day... if only she hadn't gotten killed... if only he could have stopped the youma in time... then none of this would have happened. She would be safe and well back in his own dimension, and he would be with her, not watching from a distance. But all that was gone now, taken away before it had truly begun. And he had never really told her how much he loved her.
And then that Pluto woman had come. She had said that Serena was suppose to be born in another dimension, but evil forces had interfered. She said that she would have Serena be reborn in her rightful home. Vegeta hadn't let her near Serena's body, cradling it to his chest and threatening to blast the Pluto person into the next dimension. But Pluto had just waved her staff, and Serena's body became nothing but blue sparks, until they too faded away. And with her went his will to live.
He had asked Pluto if there was a way to be close to Serena. At first, she had said there was not, but he had been persistent, almost to the point of begging. He didn't care; all that was important was Serena. Finally, Pluto made him Serena's Guardian Angel. It had taken her a lot of strength and was forbidden, but she felt sympathy for the Saiyan Prince. He could now grow wings whenever he wished, but chose not to because he could fly without them. He became immortal, at least until Serena died. Then he would die too. He also had new abilities. His spirit could watch over Serena and be right beside her, and no one could see, hear, smell, touch, etc. him when he was in spirit form. And he could turn his physical body invisible, or call for his physical body while he was on earth as a spirit. He could not watch Serena every second, but he could sense when she was in danger.
Pluto took him back to her dimension and fourteen years into the future. Vegeta watched as she became Sailor Moon, fought her first battle, found her senshi, and defeated her enemies. He was there to see the charade she put on, and his spirit was there when she cried, holding her as best he could. He could interfere only in a life-or-death situation. If she would only get an injury, he could not help. He also could not help if Tuxedo Mask was going to help, as much as he despised it. He had only interfered a few times to give her courage or help her if she was frozen with shock. She could to the rest.
There were a few times he appeared as Darien's spirit. When she was fighting Beryl, she had thought she felt Darien's spirit, and it gave her courage. But it had actually been Vegeta. And when she was fighting Galaxia and Darien's Spirit came to give her words of encourage meant, it had been him, disguised as Darien. But Darien was the one who always got the hugs, the 'I Love You's, the kisses. Until the defeat of Pharaoh 90 and Mistress 9, it had tortured him, and he couldn't bear to to look at them together at first. When he began to watch her once, he saw she was with Darien, and would have stopped watching. But something felt wrong. So he kept watching, and was able to stop a drug from taking affect that would have made Serena weak and delirious. Darien had slipped it into her drink, and Vegeta knew he would have raped her. As much as he wanted to kill Darien, he couldn't do anything. Not just forbidden to do anything; if he ever tried, he would lose the right as a Guardian Angel and he wouldn't be able to watch over Serena anymore.
From then on, he always watched when she was alone with him. He only tried it once more, and he stopped it then too. When he found that Serena felt doubt about their love after Pharaoh 90 was destroyed, he was overjoyed. The doubt disappeared for a short time after he saved her from being suffocated by a balloon youma, but it came back later. Saving her was just an act that came from what was left of the kindness and love that Darien had had as Endymion.
But still, whether they loved each other or not, whether they were together or not, it didn't make a difference. Vegeta still couldn't have her. He was cursed to always watch from afar, never touching, never having. Just watching and dreaming. But he would rather be able to watch her than to not see or be with her.
He sighed and looked into the fire. He had finished bandaging her long before his thoughts were done. His eyes lost focus for a moment as he remembered a happier time...
'Tenshi,' he thought. 'That's what I always used to call her. The closest I even got to telling her I loved her. I was just afraid of being hurt. My life had been full of disappointments and death. Everyone I had ever loved had died, and anything I had loved was destroyed. I just wish I had told her how I felt...'
'Maybe now is your chance,' another part of him said. He hoped it was so, and that she wouldn't be taken away again. He knew Pluto would probably show up at anytime to tale her back. 'Back there? Where she will be hurt?!? ' Though he knew Darien would probably be killed for his crime, or at least banished and stripped of his powers and title. He hoped that the senshi inflicted pain on him. Uranus had always wanted to do it, and Vegeta looked forward to watching it. Even if it wouldn't get him Serena back.
And of course, the inner senshi would apologize... 'They really aren't that bad, but what were they thinking charging in without asking questions? They were probably really mad that the 'youma' had done something with Serena. Even though they don't treat her the best, they really care about her and are very protective of her. But still... why didn't Mercury use her scan...? '
He turned back to look at Serena. She was sleeping peacefully, but there was a distressed expression on her face. He wished he could make it disappear, but how could he? He sighed again and just sat there, watching her face, thinking of happier times. Times when she was always smiling, times when that smile was for him and only him... their first kiss.... her death.... no, he wasn't suppose to think about that. He wouldn't let himself. She was alive now, and that was all that mattered. She was alive.
'And I can only watch her live...' He stood up angrily, trying to get the bad thoughts out of his head. But they always seemed to come back, not matter what he did. He paced a few times, trying to push them away, but they would not go. He finally sat down again beside Serena's bed, laying his head on the covers and gently taking her hand in his. It was one of the few times he had physically touched her, and he reveled in it. Being with her usually calmed him, like an invisible wave of serenity was washing over him. He calmed now, but still, being able to touch her again- it only reminded him that it was only for a brief moment in time, and soon she would disappear from his arms once again. He would never have her again.
Tears welled up in his eyes, but he made no move to stop them like he once would have. He was no longer the arrogant Saiyan prince he once was. When Serena had died, he had cried for the first time since he was a child. Now he did not hide his emotions under a cold, hard shell. He no longer cared about being tough, because he knew he was strong. In some ways, anyway... and in others he was weak, so weak...

Evil swelled in a place far away. In a shadowed room there were many figures, hidden from view. Everything in this place was evil, and it was overcome back darkness. A plan was hatching, and it had already begun to be carried out. Evil is always out there somewhere, lying dormant or conspiring to bring evil to all living things. Unfortunately, it was now conspiring, as it seemed to do more frequently in this century. Minor evils are always there, in the hearts of some living creatures, but major evils and pure evils should not have occurred this much. In only two years there had been four wars and one minor war.
But did it matter? The Sailor Senshi always saved the day...
Wrong. You may have heard that there is always a happy ending. You may have heard that the Sailor Senshi always win. You may have heard that there have been no casualties besides the senshi, and they always came back to life. But this is not so. Yes, about 90% of the targets of evil have been saved, but a few have died. And others were killed indirectly. Falling walls in a fight, victims of a random youma who was hungry...
When Galaxia destroyed the city, what do you think happened to all the people? It never said. They were all killed. Yes, Sailor Moon was able to resurrect the town,... or most of it anyway. Think about it. Severely drained after a fight, would she be able to bring every living thing back to life AND resurrect all the buildings? She resurrected most of the buildings and most of the people and animals. Still, there were a few she could not save.
When the Scouts went to the future, every one was dead. Their bodies were fading. If the bodies faded away completely, they could never be brought back. And there were other cases. And what about the corrupted innocents who died?
Nephrite, Malachite, Zoicite, Jedite,... even Beryl.
Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, Rubeus.
Possibly the witches 5, but no one knows for certain.
Fisheye, Hawkseye, Tigerseye.
The Senshi that Galaxia took star seeds from, including the ones who refused to serve her and died.
And now there was another one. After only one year, another evil had risen.
Inside the dark room was another figure. She was chained to the wall and unconscious, a gash on her forehead and another on her leg. Blood from a minor cut on her stomach stained a small spot of her sailor-like fuku. Her long, dark green hair trailed down to the small of her back. She was not too badly hurt, for she was useful to the beings of evil. She would help them conquer earth and steal the powers of the Lady of the Cosmos.

Vegeta paced the floor. One problem with his new life was that he got extremely bored. He usually spent his spare time getting more information on past enemies and battles, learning about the Silver Millennium, looking for sources of new evil, or training. Pluto had made a connecting room for him to train in. Getting stronger didn't matter to him anymore, but it took his mind off things. And anyway, if something happened and he needed to protect Serena, he had to be ready for anything.
He didn't want to train now because he didn't want to leave Serena's side. He couldn't seem to concentrate on any of the books or images of the Moon Kingdom. Pluto had given him a device to make a picture appear. It was like a movie except he heard the information in his head and there was no TV, just an image, or a hologram, floating in thin air. But he couldn't focus when Serena was hurt like this. He also couldn't scout for new evils because he had to go out to do that, and it didn't do too much good anyway, because he could only sense them when they were fairly close.
So he paced. And sat by her side. And stared into the fire for long periods of time. And made something to eat just for the heck of it, and also for her when she woke up. He started to wish he had learned how to meditate. It looked easy enough, but he could never clear his thoughts or get into the state of mind where you're at total peace. At one point, he wondered where Pluto was. He brought out a special device that she had given him to contact her. It was like an oval mirror, but the surface looked more like water and rippled constantly. When he contacted her, a swirl of water would appear in the center and leave a flat picture of Pluto's head as she looked through her own mirror. When he was done, the water would swirl back into the center and begin rippling again. Or at least, that's what it seemed like was happening.
He tried now, but there was no answer or change in the surface of the mirror. This puzzled him, but he was actually relieved. That meant that she wasn't going to come to get Serena yet and he had more time. Actually, it was possible she didn't know yet; Vegeta mentally kicked himself for his idiocy. If Setsuna hadn't known, he would have lost time with Serena! He wasn't thinking very clearly. He was too worried about Serena. He knew she would heal, but her emotional state was also an issue. Being attacked by four of your best friends and a guy you probably still liked as a friend wasn't something that was going to heal very fast, even when she found out that the inners didn't know it was her. {AN: I don't think that was a run-on.... but boy was that a long sentence!!!) And what made him more anxious was what he was going to do when she woke up. Say, 'Hi, I'm Vegeta, we were in love in another dimension.' Not only could he not say that for the obvious reason that she would think he was nuts, but she wasn't allowed to know about him. It would probably be better if Pluto got her before she had awoken, as much as it pained him to accept it.
A moan from behind him caused him to turn away from the fire. Serena was tossing lightly in her sleep. He went over to the bed and took her hand.
"Shh, it's ok, it's ok,..." he murmured. Serena whimpered softly, but settled down. Her face held a look of anguish and torment, and she was shaking slightly, caught in a bad dream. Vegeta stood up and got a wet washcloth. When he came back, he gently pressed it on her forehead. She was tossing again, and he tried to soothe her, but it didn't seem to do any good.
She started moaning again, and her tossing became more violent. He had to hold her down to keep her from hurting herself. He finally climbed over her and onto the bed, wrapping his arms tightly around her shaking body. He whispered soothing words into her ear, and she slowly settled down. Vegeta was haunted by the look her had seen on her face; he never wanted to see her in such pain, physical or emotional. At least he could take comfort in the fact that when the whole business with the inners was cleared up, she wouldn't suffer as much.
After only a short time, he too fell asleep.

********************************************************** *******************************

AN: Next chapter, she wakes up!! ROMANCE COMING SOON!!! Until then, please keep up the reviews!!!