Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Betrayal ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

As Crow instructed, Taylor returned at sunset that evening. I was in the throneroom, anxiously waiting for him to arrive. Galaxia and Crow were in the dining room where supposedly, Crow had slipped the water from the River of Lost Memories into Galaxia's drink only minutes ago.

"I hope I'm not late," Taylor said, walking quickly up and taking my hands in his. I merely shrugged my shoulders in response. I could only assume it was sunset, though I had no way of telling from inside this dismal place. But all of that was going to change soon. Without a word, I led Taylor to where the Star Seeds were kept in their mass array.

For a moment we just stared in awe at the twinkling crystals hung suspended above our heads. I was kind of in a daze, I guess the whole reality of the situation was just beginning to take hold of me. I was like this when I first handed myself over to Galaxia; it was hard to accept that this was my path I had chosen. But now destiny had dealt a new hand, and the future looked bright again. Not that I deserved it.

"Go ahead," I said quietly. Taylor nodded.

"Don't worry, I'll find your Star Seed," he said. Then he closed his eyes, his mind locked deep in concentration. I watch fascinated at his ability to do this so calmly. There were so many shimmering crystals there... how was he ever going to pick out mine? Even if he didn't though, I wouldn't be upset. After all, I didn't deserve the second chance I was getting.

Suddenly, Taylor's arm jolted forward, his finger pointing directly towards a soft blue Star Seed.

"That's it," he said. Then without hesitation, he slipped through the weakness in the barrier, just as Lead Crow had pointed out. He reached out his hand, and the Star Seed drifted into his palm. As soon as Taylor had a firm grip on it, he quickly backed out the barrier. With a brilliant smile, he held out the small crystal for me to see.

"That's... my star seed?" I asked. Taylor nodded confidently.

"Yes, without a doubt. This is your shine."

I gazed deeply at the blue stone he held so lovingly in his hand. It was strange... my star seed had been gone from my body for so long now, its presence was almost strange to me.

"Now it's your turn," Taylor said.

"Huh?" I looked up perplexed.

"You have to find Neptune's star seed," he said.

"W-what? Me? I can't do that," I stuttered.

"You have to," said Taylor firmly. "I don't know Neptune's aura well enough to do it accurately."

I sighed, supposing Taylor was right. In any case, there was no time for arguing. I closed my eyes, releasing the tension in my body and preparing my mind to concentrate. As I began to relax, I felt a thousand different forces calling out to me. Some were strong and forceful, others were so weak I could barely sense them at all. This was the energy emitted from all the different Star Seeds. I was suddenly nervous, almost frightened. How was I ever going to pinpoint Neptune's shine among so many? My mind began to panic, and in the rush, the different auras seemed to blur together. Not good. If couldn't even distinguish one from the other... it was hopeless. I felt my spirit dampened once again, ready to give up. But suddenly, amidst the clamor, a familiar force reached out to me. A gentle wave like that of an ocean, flowing into my psyche. My thoughts suddenly became calm. I knew this force. I'd know it anywhere.

"Michiru!" I said aloud. I reached out my arm and pointed forward with utmost confidence. Then I opened my eyes. My finger was positioned directly in front of a brilliant blue and green Star Seed.

"That's the one," I said. "I know it is."

"You sure?" Taylor asked. I nodded. Without hesitation, I slipped through the weakness in the barrier and grasped Neptune's Star Seed. It was strange; the moment I touched it, I almost felt like Michiru was standing next to me, acting as my guardian. Quickly, I slipped back out of the barrier again, the precious treasure in my hands.

"It's okay, Michiru," I whispered. "You're safe now."

"Let's go!" said Taylor. "We haven't got much time." Holding my Star Seed protectively in his hands, he started towards the exit. I nodded and followed. The two of us ran with our steps almost in perfect sync with each other's, faster and faster towards the exit as my heart raced like I'd never known it to before. This was it; I was finally going home. I could almost smell freedom on the other side. Just as we came to the passageway that would lead of out of this nightmare for good, I suddenly found my pace slowing, almost to a stop. I looked over my shoulder to see Lead Crow standing behind us, watching us leave. I could tell she was disappointed. She wanted to come with us, that longing in her eyes said it far too well. And she should have been longing. It wasn't fair that Michiru, Taylor, and I should all escape this place and she should stay. But somehow, despite the cruelty of the situation, Crow still managed to throw us a genuine smile.

"Good luck, Uranus," she said.

"Crow..." I began, taking a step forward.

"Don't say anything," she replied. "You just go and find your princess. And promise me that one day she will return and bring peace where Galaxia has brought ruin."

"She will return, that is a promise," I said confidently. There was a pause; I didn't know quite what else to say. "What about Galaxia?" I finally asked.

"She fell asleep after taking the drink," Crow replied. "When she awakens, all of this will be a lost memory. She may have even forgotten Siren." Crow sighed. "You know, I never understood Siren. I always told her she needed to straighten up, to stop being so nice to everyone. That it was only through cold-hearted battling and watching your own back that led to survival in this world." She paused to sigh for a moment before adding on, "I think she would have been happy to see this."

"Yes," I agreed. "She would have."

I looked over Crow as she stood there, her face full of confidence and trust. This person I had called my enemy, now my friend and ally. And though the time was running short, I couldn't stop myself from giving one last farewell and I put my arm around Crow, thanking her. For as much as Crow talked about me helping her to grow, I don't think she really knew how much she had done the same for me. I didn't understand anything before, I was always so ready to give up hope. But she had reminded me why in all those battles I was willing to lay my life down for my princess and my friends. I had faith in them, in their ability to see things through. And now Crow was laying all her trust in me. I would not let her down.

"You take care of yourself," I said.

"You too," Crow responded. "Good-bye, my friend."