Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Betrayal ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Words could not describe how sweet that first breath of the free air was to me. For the first time in a long while, I was out running with the wind, with no one, not even Galaxia to stop me. It felt great. But for the moment, I had to suppress my childish thoughts. There were more important things to consider now.

"Do you mind if I ask exactly where we're running to?" I inquired of Taylor. I could always run and talk at the same time, I almost never lost my breath. Taylor, on the other hand, was another story.

"There's a clearing at the base of the cliff coming up here," he managed to huff out. "I asked Sailor Moon and the others to meet us there."

"You did what?" I asked in shocked. I knew I was going to have to face Sailor Moon sooner or later, but right now? I sighed, but still kept up my pace. The faster I reached Sailor Moon, the faster Neptune could be restored. I couldn't back down now, despite any fears I had of what would happen to me when I had to own up to my crimes.

As we neared the clearing, I saw the other Sailor Soldiers standing there waiting for us. The senshi of the inner planets, Venus, Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter. And of course, my allies of the outer planets, Pluto and Saturn. I slowed down to a stop in front of them. There was Sailor Moon, standing in the center of the group. Only she wasn't Sailor Moon. Not as I knew her present time anyway. This girl was enveloped with a soft white light, dressed in a long white gown that almost made it look like angel's wings were sprouting from her back. The red and gold crown of the moon adored her brilliant yellow hair, and a staff of the same colors she held proudly in her left hand. Neo Queen Serenity.

I quickly handed Neptune's star seed over to Taylor and got down on my knees, pressing my face to the ground. I didn't dare to look my princess in the eye right now.

"Sailor Uranus," she said, as if greeting an old friend. "What's the matter?" I guess that's when she noticed the bracelets on my wrists. "What happened?" she asked, more solemnly this time.

"Sailor Moon..." I began. "No, Neo Queen Serenity. I beg your forgiveness. These bracelets you see on my wrists are proof that I am a traitor. I gave myself up to the enemy, to Sailor Galaxia."

"Galaxia?" Serenity asked in shocked. "But, Uranus, why? You've always been one of my most loyal soldiers."

"I thought that by giving in to Galaxia's demands, I would be able to save my knight, whom she had taken captive," I replied. "I let my emotions get in the way of my duty and failed miserably in my role as your protector. But also..." A single tear ran down my face, falling silently onto the dry ground in front of me as I continued, "Also, I allowed one of my fellow soldiers to die at the enemy's hands."

"You mean... Sailor Neptune?" Serenity asked. I nodded. Serenity looked over at Taylor, still holding the two star seeds, one in each hand.

"The other crystal has your shine," she observed.

"Yes," I answered. "Galaxia's power is keeping me alive right now. However, when Neptune lost her Star Seed, she lost her life as well." I bit hard into my lower lip to force the tears to stop coming. I was good at hiding my emotions, and I didn't want to worsen the situation by blubbering like an child. If I started that then Neo Queen Serenity might start to feel pity for me, and that was the last thing I neither wanted nor deserved. I turned my attention back to the topic at hand.

"I know with your power you can restore Neptune, Neo Queen Serenity," I said. "Your light is strong enough to do that." I paused again, collecting myself. The tears finally stopped trying to come. "I know that for the crimes I've committed I deserve nothing less than death from you. But I would gladly take it if it was to see Neptune alive again. She was the innocent in this whole act, and she died trying to protect me. But also..." I paused. "Also, she is my dear friend."

Without a word, Neo Queen Serenity nodded. She held her staff forward, and the green Star Seed in Taylor's began to float towards her. The queen shut her eyes, focusing all her strength on that crystal. It must have been difficult to bear; I could see her shaking. But at last, her warm power began to have its effect. Overflowing with energy, Neptune's crystal blazed forth a bluish-green light, which built up into the shape of a human figure. A girl, dressed in a dark green senshi uniform with slender arms and long aquamarine hair. Slowly she opened her eyes and looked curiously at the world around her, as if she had just woken up from a long sleep.

"Haruka?" she whispered as her gaze fell upon me.

"Michiru!" I cried, unable to control myself any longer. I leapt up and threw my arms around her, grasping her shoulders to make sure she was real. I began to sob uncontrollably, saliva and tears seeping into the white material of Michiru's fuku.

"Michiru, you're alive! Oh, I missed you, Michiru!" Michiru reached up and put her arm around me. Looking back on it, I probably should have been more gentle with her, her body was still very weak. But then I wasn't thinking too clearly at that moment. All I knew was that Michiru was back with me. And I couldn't have been happier.

"I knew... you'd come through..." Michiru whispered. "Thank you, Haru..." At that, Michiru passed out in my arms. I gasped, worrying if I had done something to hurt her.

"She'll be okay," said Taylor, walking up and placing her arms under her neck and legs. "She's just still very weak."

I nodded in agreement, allowing Taylor to take her from me. Michiru would be fine, she was safe now.

I was so caught up in the moment, I had almost forgotten my place. It was time for Neo Queen Serenity to make her judgement on me.

The queen turned and gave me a solemn look, I had never seen her eyes like that before. I couldn't place the emotion. Pain, perhaps? Pain that I had given her in my actions? It could be disappointment too. It could be any number of things, but it certainly wasn't happiness. Again, Neo Queen Serenity raised her staff, this time pointing at me. The bracelets began to glow, and I felt a warm power as they fell off my wrists, shattering into nothing more than a pile of dust at my feet. Those cursed things I had tried so hard to hide and rid myself off, at last they were gone. And for a moment, there was immense relief, as though the burden of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. But in the next instant I felt my strength quickly starting to leave my body. I tried to bear it and stand, but without Galaxia's power sustaining me anymore, I soon collapsed onto the ground. This was it, I thought. My princess had chosen death for me. But I was content. Michiru was alive now, and Taylor and Sailor Moon were safe. At least I had managed to do some good before this moment came. I closed my eyes, feeling the energy leave my body as I prepared to fade away.

Suddenly, however, I felt a warm power coming towards me, pulling me back. I opened my eyes to see a shining blue crystal hovering in the air above me. This couldn't be. I looked over towards my princess, her staff held strongly in the air, guiding my Star Seed back into my body.

My eyes closed as the flower opened from my chest, and I felt my mother planet's power surging through my veins once again. Not the cold heartless power of the Galaxia that had kept me alive before. This was genuine and true; I felt complete once again. I opened my eyes and the light from Neo Queen Serenity's staff began to fade. I was alive.

I quickly got myself back to my feet, still bowing in front of my princess. At last, Neo Queen Serenity transformed back to Sailor Moon, that strong senshi I had fought alongside.

"But why?" I asked in disbelief. "Sailor Moon, why? Even after I betrayed you?"

"Uranus," she said with a smile. "If you honestly think I could ever bring myself to harm you or any of fellow soldiers, then I'm afraid perhaps you aren't as experienced a senshi of mine as I thought." She bent down to meet me at eye level.

"You and Neptune and everyone else are all precious friends to me," she said. "I would always do anything in my power to save you, because I know you would do the same."

"But I..." I objected. "Galaxia..."

"Ah, yes, about Galaxia," Sailor Moon continued as she stood up and reached out a hand to help me. "It was a bit reckless, but very clever of you to infiltrate the enemy's headquarters like that."

"I did wha...?" I stuttered, but Sailor Moon only winked at me.

"I trust you have a good deal of information to share with me about Galaxia and her plans?"

"Oh, yes," I answered, nodding. I started to think over everything it was I had observed while in Galaxia's lair.

"Not now," said Sailor Moon, pointing back to Michiru and Taylor. "For now, just spend some time with your friends. I think they've missed you."

"Yes," I answered, nodding. "And I've missed them too." I walked over to Taylor and took Michiru in my arms. She was still quite out of it, but her body was warm and filled with life again. I leaned onto Taylor's chest, tired but overflowing with joy. My knight in turn put a loving arm around me, my ever-present support.

"Come on," he said. "Let's go home." I nodded in agreement.

The walk back to the apartment was quiet, but what was there to say? After everything that had happened, I finally had Michiru and Taylor back with me. I was alive and renewed with hope. But I shouldn't have expected anything less from my princess. I was wrong to try and fight alone. Sailor Moon, when the day for that battle with Galaxia finally comes, please know that I will be there at your side, protecting you. And I know you will be victorious. There is not a light in the galaxy that is stronger than your shine. Neptune and Crow both staked their very lives on that belief. And so will I.

The End!

Author's Notes: Well, that's it. What did all of you think? Raise your hands if you thought I was actually going to let Taylor or Michiru die. You did? Really? For shame! Lol, okay, now I'm just being weird. So before I get too spaced out, I want to say some thank you's:

First to Rowan, who helped work out my ideas, you're always so nice to let Haruka have a big part in the storylines. Second, to ChibiKoneko, whose lovely artwork inspired me to actually start writing these ideas to a story, I hope it's everything you expected it to be. Finally to Trool, who's always so willing to listen and critique me, I don't think Taylor and Haruka's scenes would mean near as much without you. I love you so much!

I guess thanks also to Naoko Takeuchi, who created the Sailor Moon universe, which I seem to so enjoy manipulating to my own plot devices. And of course, to everyone who has been reading and reviewing my work, where would I be without you? ^_^

Thank you again!

-Katrina

P.S. I've still got some spelling and grammar editing to make here, so if you see I'm still updating, that's why. I just started working on "Knight for Neptune," as my Valentine's Day story, but more exciting, my new website is almost on its way. Hope everyone enjoys it.