Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Bluff Master ❯ Tumour ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer : I don't own the characters.

This story is inspired by one of those Bollywood movies I've been watching lately called, surprise of all surprises, 'Bluffmaster'. Although it's inspired by the movie I can assure everyone that the plot has nothing to do with it, although Haruka indeed is the master of bluff in this story, so to speak.

'Bluff' is just a different word for 'con'.

A/N : I know Japan doesn’t have a president but for this fic we’ll pretend it does.

Bluff Master
Chapter seven
- Tumour -

Setsuna was working hard on her deadline for tomorrow when suddenly the door to her room opened. ''Never heard of knocking, Minako?'' She asked while smiling. The other closed the door behind her.

''How did you know it was me Sets?'' The blonde asked.

''Who else would come to my room in the middle of the night? So, I assume you heard a nice rumor again you feel like telling me?'' Setsuna asked as she continued to typ things on her computer. When she didn't get a reply after a couple of minutes she finally looked up and turned her chair around. Minako was staring down at the ground with a somewhat ashamed look on her face. ''Minako?''

The blonde maid looked up again, blushing heavily. ''There's something you have to know Sets. I know we've been pretty good friends for a while now and until now I've been able to hide it. No, forget all about my past but...''

''You're an ex-bluff master.'' Setsuna finished for the other. ''I know. And I also know all about Haruka's plan.''

''Y-you do?'' Minako looked up, her expression had no changed from ashamed to surprised and shocked. ''H-how?''

''I am the president's advisor. I do all the thorough investigations about our staff personally. Then I hand Kenji, the president, the information I found. I never showed him most of your personal information. To him you're just a girl who's done nothing but clean houses and serve other people. The same goes for Haruka. It's no coincidence we've got three of the best bluff masters in our home.''

''I don't understand....'' Minako was obviously confused.

''I didn't report any of you because I know it isn't nessesary. Haruka isn't going to steal anything. She's going to lose something instead.''

''I...really don't get it.''

Setsuna laughed slightly. ''I know you don't. That's the whole point. Just know this.... I've known Makoto for years now. We used to be in high school together. When she came to this place and after I did a back ground check on her I immidiately paid her a visit.''

''So you know why she and Haruka are here?''

The green haired advisor nodded.

''Why? Makoto didn't want to tell me.''

Setsuna just shrugged. ''You'll see. Some have lost their fortunes, some have lost their lives. Some have lost their homes and yet others have lost their worlds. But at the end of this week our oh-so famous bluff master is going to lose something more important....'' There was a slight pause. ''Cupid's got Haruka in the chokehold.''

Minako decided not to ask. It was obvious Setsuna wasn't going to tell her yet. 'I guess I'll have to go to Makoto and ask her about it. It's not fair to leave me out!'

------
Michiru sat next to Haruka, looking at the passing cars. Somehow she had a bad feeling about tonight. Haruka had hardly said a word and the blonde had a rather strange look on her face as well. Whenever they had to stop for a traffic light Haruka seemed to have some trouble with her vision. It took the tomboy atleast a couple of minutes before she noticed she was standing in front of a green light.

''Are you sure you're ok?'' Michiru finally asked, looking up at the blonde who was focussing on the highway in front of them. It looked like Haruka was having a hard time.

''I am fine.'' Haruka said although it had started to sound less believable everytime she said it.

''You're lying.'' The other simply stated. Once again Haruka didn't look up. Instead of that she just kept her eyes on the road. ''You're either sick or you're bothered with something. If this piano thing is bothering you...''

The other interrupted her. ''It's nothing. Now stop whining.''

Michiru muttered something inaudible before staring out of the window again. ''Sorry for caring.''

Haruka sighed. She didn't know what was going on with her but her headache was driving her insane. Her vision had gone from blurry to worse which made it hard for her to see where they were going. Michiru's questions all the time weren't helping either. ''I am sorry ok,'' She finally said causing the other to grunt. ''I shouldn't have snapped like that.''

''Sure.'' Michiru said. It was obvious that the smaller girl was upset with the other's behaviour. It was now that she decided to change the subject and ask Haruka the thing she had been curious about ever since this morning. ''Are you a woman?''

''Am I woman...'' Haruka repeated with a sarcastic tone in her voice. That was until she realized what the other had just asked her. Immidiately she pushed the brake causing the car to stop in the middle of a field. Haruka hadn't even noticed they weren't driving on the highway anymore. ''What?'' She finally asked, looking down at Michiru who held a frightened expression on her face.

''Why the hell did you stop like that!'' She yelped.

''Wear your seatbelt next time.'' Haruka replied, giving the other a stern look.

''Well, are you or what?'' Michiru asked, deciding to drop the whole 'we could've been dead' thought.

Haruka took another deep breath before leaning back against her seat. Her head hurted too much for her to think clearly now. With that she just nodded. ''Yeah I am female. Does it make any difference?''

''You know I could have you fired now, do you?'' Michiru questioned. Haruka really didn't look ok.

''You wouldn't. You'd rather have me to be your vocal thingie than some guy.'' Haruka replied, not bothering to show any sign of fear, interest or anything else for that matter. ''I mean if you....aah!'' Suddenly a painful stinging feeling took over causing the blonde to hold her head in her hands.

''Haruka!'' Michiru yelped. She had no idea what she could do now.

''My goddamn head.....'' The blonde hissed, leaning against the steering wheel.

''I'll call an ambulance...'' Michiru said with a paniced tone in her voice. With that said she quickly searched for her cellphone in her purse. She knew she wouldn't be able to catch her audition now but that didn't matter right now. Haruka was much more important. There were always other changes on getting a job as a violinist.

-----

Makoto was busy throwing a few ingredients in her soup when she suddenly heard the door to the kitchen being swung open. All the other cooks and maids who were helping out in the kitchen looked up in shock. In the doorway stood Minako, she held a unreadable look on her face. ''Makoto!''

''Y-es?'' The brunette stammered, wondering if Minako came here to tell her the president found out all about the con and was now planning on arresting her.

''It's Haruka.... she's in hospital.'' Minako stated causing all the people in the room to start whispered. Makoto seemed to be the only one who had the urge to smile.

'So it worked...' She thought to herself. This meant they could start with plan B. ''Let's get going.'' She finally said, ignoring the questioning look on Minako's face.

----

'My head.' Haruka thought. Slowly she opened her eyes. She was lying in some kind of white room. Next to her she could hear a beeping sound. 'Am I dead or something?'

''
I am glad you're awake.'' A voice said. At first Haruka thought it was an angel speaking to her but when her sight got clear again she saw Ami standing in front of her.

''W-where am I?'' Haruka asked, trying to sit up. The stinging pain in her head stopped her from doing so though.

''Hospital.'' Ami replied when Haruka lay down again. ''You fainted.''

''Michiru?'' Haruka asked, not bothering to ask anything else about herself. All she wanted to know what if the smaller girl was alright. She couldn't quite remember what had happened so she didn't know wheter they made it to the concert hall or not.

''She's fine. Michiru was the one who called the ambulance. Luckily for both of you, you stopped the car a few minutes before you fainted.''

''I am glad to hear that.''

With that Haruka closed her eyes for a moment. At least the pain in her head had decreased a bit. When she opened her eyes again she noticed the worried look in the bluenette's eyes. ''What?''

''H-haruka....did you....,''Ami paused for a moment as if she wasn't sure wheter to ask the other or not.

''What?''

''H-how long did you... I mean, did you....'' Ami couldn't find the right words it seemed.

''Talk to me Mizuno.'' Haruka said with an annoyed tone in her voice. Whatever it was Ami should just fess up. Maybe the girl had found out about her identity. It wouldn't be such a surprise.

''Tumour.'' Ami finally whispered, unable to look at the other.

''Tumour?'' Haruk repeated. She didn't quite understand what the other was talking about. That was until her eyes fell on a couple of radiographic photos. It were all pictures made of a human brain, skull and neckline. ''You mean,'' It took her a couple of more seconds to realize. ''No.... that's all wrong. Impossible.''

Ami looked up again with a sad smile on her lips. ''I wish it was Haruka but,''

''No. It's impossible. If I really was this sick, I mean if I really had a tumour I would've noticed before!'' Haruka shot. She simply wasn't going to believe this was happening to her.

''Sometimes it takes some time before you realize it.'' Ami stated. ''I am very sorry Haruka.''

''T-this is a joke.'' Haruka laughed slightly. ''This is unreal. I am perfectly fine.''

''What about the headache and the scans that were done on you. Everything...'' Ami stopped when she realized what she was saying. ''Sorry.''

Haruka blinked a couple of times. So it was true? No jokes involved? ''It can be helped right?''

The bluenette shrugged, trying to recall what Makoto had told her before. ''There is one way to.... but it's very expensive. Maybe the president will be kind enough to...''

''I'll pay whatever it costs.'' Haruka interrupted the other.

''In America. There's a special kind of clinic which treats people with your condition. I mean that tumopur of yours has beent here for quite some time. It's still a very risky operation and...''

''I'll do it.'' Once again the blonde interrupted the smaller girl who tried her best to hide her small.

'Plan B, succeeded.' She thought to herself. Just when the thought had crossed her mind the door to the room opened, revealing a woman dressed in a white outfit. She had black long hair that came just below her waist.

''Visitors hour is over. I am afraid you'll have to leave, miss.'' She said causing Ami to nod and stand up.

''Get some rest Haruka.''

''Where is Michiru?'' The tomboy asked when Ami had just reached the door.

''In the waiting room. She didn't want to come in. She blames herself for not noticing something was terribly wrong.''

''She noticed,'' Haruka said, somehow feeling guilty for making Michiru feel like she was the one at fault. ''I just get denying it.''

Ami smiled. ''I'll tell her.''

''Thanks.'' Haruka whispered before closing her eyes again. When she heard the door close she opened them again. It almost seemed impossible that this was happening to her. Once again her eyes fell on the photos on the wall. But it seemed to be a proven fact now. She was indeed sick.

-----

Ami and Michiru had been sitting in the waiting room for over ten minutes now. Neither of them had said a word. There wasn't any need of words either. Ami quite well knew how Michiru was feeling right now. It must've been a real shock for her cousin to just sit and watch hopelessly while someone's in deep pain. 'It's for the better like this. It'll turn out fine in the end.'

''Hey...'' Suddenly a third voice spoke causing both Michiru as Ami to look up at Makoto. Behind the brunette stood Minako who held a worried look on her face. ''How is she doing?''

''She's doing pretty well.'' Ami lied. She didn't want to worry her cousin.

Makoto didn't even have to ask anything else. The look on the bluenette's face told her enough. Everything was going according to plan. ''I am glad to hear that.'' Makoto decided to play along. Unlike Michiru, Minako could see right through their little act. Was this was Setsuna had meant? Is this what Haruka was going to lose? Her life?

To Be Continued...