Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Heart ❯ The Break Up ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I stared into his deep blue eyes. Even after he crushed me, I felt like I could drown in that gaze. My head had accepted what had just transpired but my heart had yet to digest the news.

Flash Back

"Usagi, we need to talk." I knew something was wrong when he said my name. Where was the `Usako' I love to hear?

"Yes, Mamo-chan?" I asked timidly. There was a strange feeling in my chest. It was an ache, something that warned me that my life was going to take a turn for the worst. I prepared myself for just that.

He looked away from my face when I said his pet name. He appeared pained while he spoke.

"I don't think we should be together anymore."

My heart shattered. I had prepared for the worst, not the tragic. I could hear my heart cease beating and crack. I could even hear the `pings' as the pieces landed on the white tile. Surely my heart failure was audible to Mamoru as well. He showed no signs of noticing my distress.

I attempted to look into his eyes. He was able to be cold and hide his emotions from everyone else, but never me. Even when we bickered constantly, I always saw through his façade; I just chose not to acknowledge it on a conscious level. He pointedly looked at the wall, the ceiling, the floor, his hands, anything but me. I felt like nothing more than a fly. Instead of shedding tears, which I'm sure he expected, I forced him to look into my cerulean eyes and demand why.

End Flashback

He took a hurried step back, his ebony fringes once again hiding his beautiful eyes. I let my hand drop from his warm cheek. He had a little stubble growing, I noted. He took a shuddering breath and looked as if he was having an internal battle.

"I don't think we have a future together."

My nose stung and warned me of the tears welling in my eyes. I forced them back, not wanting him to see my pain.

"What about Earth? Crystal Tokyo? Chibi-Usa!?!" I pointed out bluntly. He flinched when I mention our daughter from the future. I noticed he was lacing and unlacing his fingers together; his brow was damp with a light sheen of sweat.

"Earth and Crystal-Tokyo are my responsibilities. Chibi-Usa can still be born. She shouldn't be left out of this world when she's already been introduced…" his voice faded but still held the tone of cold aloofness, as if this wasn't his decision. I was shocked. I converted all of my pain unto anger. How dare he suggest a child out of responsibility? He wasn't the one giving birth. That's not the only reason of course. The thought of him touching me and baring his child when he only felt like he owed this, that's what made me livid.

"I seriously hope your joking, Mamoru-san. I am not having a child out of a loveless union! If this is the way you want it, fine! But don't ask for my help anytime soon!" I nearly hissed at him. His head flew up, eyes wide in shock, and mouth gaped at the middle of my tirade. He knew what my help was. I wouldn't be helping him anymore, the Royal Prince of Earth, I would be saving everyone. It would not be considered helping my love keep his subjects from harm. I had to aid them, it was my duty as Royal Princess of the Moon, Serenity, but I would not aid him. It was a lie, I knew it. I would never allow him to get hurt, he knew it as well; but there would be doubt on his part.

I fairly spun on my heel and left the arcade without looking back. At the first ally I came to, I dodged inside and crumpled into a heap against the wall. I finally allowed the tears to flow as I started to fuse the pieces of my heart together, only to find I was missing a large portion of it.