Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Build my Heart ❯ wavering ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Build my Heart

Chapter Two!

When they reached the sight Serena smiled as she gazed about. It really was a beautiful place to build a house. The air was fresh, the snow a delicate blue-white, and from the drifts on either side of the drive grew large trees with ever-green branches brightening up the otherwise pale landscape. Smiling evilly to herself as she watched Darien walking just ahead of her, she got an idea, and promptly knelt down to gather a handful of snow. A moment later the snow-ball landed with a thud against the young architects back.

"Wha…" he began, turning around to look at the young woman, only to receive a face full of snow.

Serena laughed, at his stunned expression, before she began to race away from him as he called,

"I'm going to get you for that" before scooping up a handful of snow.

The pair raced down the road, Serena struggling not to fall flat on her face as she ran along the semi-icy tire tracks, with Darien following on the snow-covered middle of the road.

Hearing him approach, Serena veered quickly to her left, but unaccustomed to winter conditions, seeing as she lived in California, her feet began to slide as they found no purchase on the slippery ground. As she began to fall, the blonde let out a heart-stopping scream of terror, eyes closing, even as hands extended, and knees buckled struggling to break a fall that would never come.

"Are you all right?" the architect asked, his grip firm, but gentle about her waist stopping her descent.

Slowly Serena's eyes opened, and she became fully aware of just how close they were, with only mere inches between them.

"Yes" she breathed her voice a mere whisper. "I'm fine, thanks"

Carefully Darien released his grip on her waist, as she caught her balance, and turned to face him. His breath caught in his throat as their eyes met over her smile of gratitude immobilizing him, as his brain ran though a thousand different things he would like to do to the woman before him. None of which were very appropriate considering that she was married, and the owner of the world renowned "Cookies R Us" desert bar and club chain. A socialite, and he, he was nothing a third generation Canadian, son of a dentist and a nurse.

The silence stretched on between them, until Serena cleared her throat and commented,

"Well... I guess we should get going it's just around the bend right?"

"Yea" he replied, stepping away from her. "Here, walk in the middle it's not as icy" he told her.

The pair continued down the path until they reached the clearing in which the house would stand. Together they scanned the area, deciding which rooms should be where to ensure the best views, along with convenience to necessities like utilities. Once finished they just stood there, absorbing the tranquillity of the afternoon.

"It's so beautiful out here" Serena sighed, as she cleared the snow from a fallen log.

"Mmm, a little cold though" he commented, indicating his cherry nose, and ears.

"It's not my fault you didn't wear your toque" the blond laughed from where she was seated beside him.

"Well, how was I supposed to know you were going to want to stay out here for hours, slowly freezing me?"

"Yea, well I think you make a good human Popsicle"

"Human Popsicle?!?! Does this mean you're going to lick all the ice off me later" he commented without thinking.

They both paused, as what he had said sunk in.

'Oh god! What was I thinking?' Darien worried as Serena gave him an odd look. Little did he know that she was fighting her own mental battle?

'Why'd he say that? Is he flirting, or does it mean nothing? A joke out of hand? What should I say??'

"Maybe" she finally commented a few minutes later before rapidly standing and heading back along the road, leaving a very puzzled young man behind.

Maybe? Maybe? Repeated in his head, as he watched her walk away what does she mean by maybe… he wondered until he too finally stood following her back the way they had come.

Once back at the house, they didn't speak of it as David appeared asking Serena to eat lunch with him.

"I guess we'll get together after to go over some ideas" he commented

"That sounds wonderful" David agreed for his wife, as he made to lead her towards the dining room,

"I'll see you later" Serena politely told the young architect, the picture of a well bred lady, if you ruled out their lingering glance.

"Sure, how about I meet you in the study at 2pm"

"ok" she replied before she walked off, her husbands arm around her shoulders as he brought her up to date on some business.

All throughout lunch, David chattered on about this deal and that he had been working on over the past couple of months, and how pleased he was with the company's progress, and financial predictions. He also informed her of his plans to open two more restaurant locations which would expand her personal fortune.

Throughout the entire meal Serena merely nodded her head, pretending to be listening, when really her thoughts were far away as she thought back on the mornings events.

The feel of Darien's arms about her waist, the strength in his torso as she fell lightly against him, just the way he said her name his voice deep, melodic almost. She loved it, and how alive she'd felt throughout that afternoon, like she'd felt back when she and David were still dating, and during the first years of marriage, but this was more, there was an underlying tension of an attraction that should not be acted upon.

"Serena would you like a blackberry, or a nectarine muffin?" her husband's voice broke through her thoughts, and looking down she realized she'd finished her soup, as her husband had talked.

"Oh… blackberry is fine" she replied, taking the muffin.

"Well, Serena, I'm going to be leaving right after lunch" David informed her

"Really, so soon?"

"yes, there was some emergency at the office, and they want me back ASAP, so yea, if I leave here after lunch, I'll make it into town tonight, then I can catch an early morning flight home"

"Oh…"

"Are you going to be all right? You seem to get along with Darien rather well"

"Yes, he and I get along just fine."

"That's good" he commented, turning his full attention to the muffin.

Serena heaved a sigh, there conversations always seemed to be like this. Him babbling on about something at the office while she half-listened, until they just stopped dead.

Five minutes later he had finished eating, and just sat watching her until her muffin was gone as well.

"I suppose I better be going" he murmured, as he pulled the beautiful woman into his arms.

"Mmm, take care" she whispered in reply, before he leaned down to kiss her. A slow, languid kiss meant to last her a long time as it let her know of his feelings. As they finally pulled apart Serena smiled, her head resting against his chest.

"I'm going to miss you Hun'." He told her, as he pulled back, eyes memorising the way she looked just then, he long hair flowing free, blue eyes sparkling, cheeks slightly flushed.

"I'll miss you too" she told him looking into his hazel eyes, "now you better get going"

"I suppose, but I don't know how I'll stand it" he told her. Reminding her of days long past, when she too could scarcely bare to be away from him, as he pulled her again into his arms.

"I love you" whispered solely for her ears.

"I love you too" she replied, feeling more than a little guilty about her attraction to the architect.

"You take care then, and I'll call you when I get to California" David told her, before he bolted from the room, towards the car where all his luggage was loaded and waiting.

~*~

With his departure Serena sighed, feeling more than a little confused about everything that had happened that day.

She had after all, just met the architect, the young, sexy, intelligent, fun, architect named Darien.

With a sigh she stood, determined not to flirt, or do anything remotely improper as she entered the study, only to find her gaze settle upon him. Watching as he worked, tongue sneaking adorably out in concentration, upon a sketch, completely oblivious to her prescience.

She just watched him for a few more minutes, before she forced herself to move,

"Starting without me are you?" she questioned, causing him to jump slightly.

"Yea well, I had an idea, so I thought I'd get it down." He apologised, as he indicated his half-done sketch of a beautiful two-story log cabin.

Serena studied it, her blue eyes taking in his plans for a veranda, and the usual slopping roofs.

"Hmm, not too bad" she told him, picking up a pencil as she began to lay out a rough floor plan, and that was it. The pair got right down to work, discussing, arguing, erasing, re-drawing, ripping, pulling out new pieces of paper, rolling them up, as they went on and on, fixing the design trying to perfect a first draft, completely oblivious of anything but the work and each other, as they chatted in the lull between arguments.

Afternoon turned into evening, and they were forced to turn on the lights, yet they still continued, not stopping until the Marie, the cook, appeared in the doorway at 7:00pm informing them that dinner had been ready for a half-hour, and that if they didn't come soon she would put everything away.

The duo laughed at the lateness of the hour, as they carefully put away their current sketch, one that both were some-what satisfied with, before heading into the dining room.

Unlike earlier that day, Serena found this meal rather enjoyable. She and Darien kept up a steady stream of conversation about various architectural feats through out the ancient world, such as the Parthenon, and the aqueducts, this talk leading into how ancient styles were embodied in modern designs. On and on they talked, laughing and teasing, forcing one another to think. Serena was soaring, and Darien was amazed at how knowledgeable she was. As their debate drew to a temporary close as they each mulled over a point, they found their eyes meeting, gazes holding until with a blush Serena looked away scolding herself.

God Sere, this is so wrong, you are married to a wonderful man that loves you.

Across the table Darien just stared amazed at the life, passion, knowledge and beauty of the woman seated across from him. She was incredible and he had only known her for less than a day, and as her blue eyes met his again, he felt the flames of desire burning in his belly.

God how I want her he thought, as she rose from the table stating,

"Why don't we go and watch a movie or TV or something?" like any respectable hostess, no hint of the flirting maiden that he had encountered earlier that day.

Yet inside Serena's mind was still in turmoil, and it would only become more confused, as by the end of Star Wars Serena had her head resting comfortably near his shoulder, her feet tucked up under her, with his face mere inches from hers.

"I think that will always be one of my favourites" Darien commented as the movie rewound.

"Mine too" she answered honestly thinking of how David disliked it.

"Well, I guess we should be heading off to bed…"

"Yea, I suppose… it is late after all"

The pair didn't move, instead just sat immobile staring each other in the eye, and then it happened.

Serena tilted her head ever so slightly, ghost of a smile playing at the corners of her mouth, an invitation. He accepted, his lips moving down to rest upon hers. The kiss was sweet, gentle, tentative, and as a flash like that of electricity passed between them Serena leaned in, her mouth opening slightly, letting his tongue slip inside. As they battled for dominance lips melding tongues sliding over each other, slipping from her mouth to his, her hand reached up to pull him closer.

The instant her fingers made contact with his dark silky-soft locks the realization of what she was doing sunk in and she abruptly broke contact, eyes flying open.

She sat in stunned silence for a moment as she gazed at Darien, then her mouth began to open and close as she struggled to find the right words.

Darien calm, watched her, not entirely sure what to say. Wondering if she had felt what he'd felt, trying to decide if he should say something when her voice broke the silence,

"Oh God, what have I done?"

~*~

like it? Hate it? Let me know! AKA please review ^^

~galene