Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Chasing the Moon ❯ Chapter Two: Crescent Moons and Forgotten Dreams ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chasing The Moon

Something I might've forgotten to mention: my story will be based more on the manga characters than on the anime ones (their looks and personalities and such).

I hope you all liked the first chapter, I hope you'll like the second chapter, and remember to REVIEW!!!!

**************************************************************** *************************************************

Chapter Two: Crescent Moons and Forgotten Dreams

After Bunny had gotten home from playing over at Molly's house her parents told her to change her clothes and put on something nice. When she asked why they only said that they were going out to eat since Iris didn't want to cook dinner.

As Bunny rushed up the stairs to her bedroom she mumbled to herself.

"What to wear, what to wear, wonder where we're eating at . . . what to wear . . Hmmm . . Ah ha!" She cried in triumph as she pulled out her light lavender colored dress. It was one of her favorites and the only one she could find at the moment since she didn't really feel like digging through the bottom of her closet. She put on the dress and stood in front of the full-length mirror that occupied the back of her room door.

Her mother and father always said that they liked it the best since the lavender color brought out the blue and silver flecks in her eyes. Bunny liked it because of the little bunnies and rose buds that decorated it in a lighter shade of lavender. You had to look very closely to see them but they were there. The dress and 1 inch straps to hold it with a square cut neckline that came down just below her collarbone. A 2 inch satiny ribbon went that went under where her bust would have been (she's only 6 now) wrapped around the dress to tie in the back. From the ribbon the dress flowed in gentle little waves to just below her knees, a few layers of sheer lacy material giving the dress more "fluff" to it.

Bunny grabbed the silver star necklace and earring set she had gotten from Molly as a birthday present earlier and put them, the jewelry complimenting the ensemble nicely. After quickly redoing her hair in her traditional double buns-and-streamers to keep it neater and grabbing a pair of silvery flat shoes, Bunny bounded downstairs again and awaited her parents' inspection.

"Oh Bunnykins, you look lovely," her mother gushed, smiling happily at her only child.

"As pretty as a princess, Bunny. Shall we be going my lovely ladies?"

Bunny gave a little giggle at her father's familiar compliment and following question. "Ready when you are!!" she cried happily. "Um, where are going though?"

"It's a surprise. We have more than one thing to celebrate tonight, darling," her mother said, giving her curious little daughter an enigmatic smile. "More than one thing."

The threesome piled into the car and Kevin slowly backed out of the driveway. All of them were unaware of a pair of sapphire eyes that watched them from the shadows.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. If this "other" celebration is for the reason I think it is, it could pose some hindrance to my plan. I'll just have to wait and see.

I can't wait long though. Time is running out and there's still so much to do!

Soon. I'll reveal it to her soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

When Bunny saw where they were going to be eating her eyes nearly popped out of her head. It was the Midnight Cascade!!! THE most expensive and reservations-sought-after restaurant in the city!

"Daddy! We're not really eating here, are we?" Serena asked with a slight tremble in her voice. She was telling herself to not get her hopes up, they were probably going to eat at the Crimson Lights restaurant across the street. It would still be required to dress nicely to eat there, but she had never eaten at the Midnight Cascade and she really wanted to.

"Of course we are Bunny! Why else would I be parking in the parking lot here?" Kevin replied with a slight smile and chuckle. He had known how much his rambunctious daughter had wanted to eat here and had made reservations a few months ago. But with the news he had recently received made it even more appropriate to eat and celebrate there tonight.

"Shall we go in?" Iris asked. "They may not hold our reservations for very long. . . "

Well, that did the trick! Bunny was unbuckled and out of the car before her parents could even blink and was impatiently urging her parents to hurry up. As soon as her parents were out she grabbed their hands and tried to drag them to the entrance.

The parents laughed at their daughter's antics knowing full and well that their reservations wouldn't be dropped. They watched with happiness as Bunny's eyes light up with awe and joy and her whole body became still with barely suppressed excitement.

The Tsukinos walked up to the entrance , got their reservations, and were then led to the table reserved for them. Bunny had finally calmed down enough to remember something that her parents had said that she didn't quite understand.

"Mommy, what did you mean when you said we have more than one reason to celebrate tonight?"

Iris and Kevin looked at each other and then smiled at their daughter.

"Well, honey, how do you feel about being a big sister?"

"I GET TO BE A BIG SISTER!! YEAH!" Well, that was an obvious answer.

"Bunny! Lower your voice! I know your mother and I didn't teach you to be so rude in such a formal place like this." Kevin stared at his daughter with a hint of anger in his eyes. He softened his tone and posture when he saw his daughter bow her head and heard a mumbled "Sorry papa" from her direction. "It's all right dear, I'm not really angry with you. I know I did the same thing when your mother told me I was going to be a father a second time." He smiled.

Bunny lifted her head and took a quick peek at her father. After seeing he was being sincere she raised her head fully and gave a bright, joyful smile to her parents.

"So is it a boy or a girl baby?"

The trio had finished their dinner with happy conversations on what to name the coming baby, which Bunny had been told would be a boy. Among name suggestions were also questions on where his room would be, how to decorate it, should they get an addition added onto the house to make more room, where should they put a playroom, etc. They paid the bill for dinner (Kevin's eyes nearly popping out of their sockets when he saw the price!) and left to return home.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

(At the Tsukino's)

When the family returned home Iris told Bunny to go change her clothes and then come back downstairs for the rest of her presents.

"You mean I get MORE?! I'm perfectly happy with just being able to have eaten at the Midnight Cascade. What else did ya get me?" Bunny tried to keep her curiosity in check, but couldn't do so for very long; thus the final question.

"Yes, you have a few more presents. Now go and change, I don't want you ruining your dress when you receive your presents."

Serena didn't have to be told a third time. She rushed up the stairs to her bedroom and practically ripped off her pretty dress. She didn't feel like changing into yet another outfit so she just threw on her pajamas. After taking off her jewelry and setting her hair into "nighttime mode" she slid down the stairs and into the living room where her parents sat patiently. The first thing Bunny noticed were two boxes, one sitting on each of her parents laps. As she walked closer to them she realized that there was a basket on the floor next to her mother's feet.

When Serena reached her mother she leaned down to remove the cloth that hid whatever was under the basket, but she was stopped when her mother grabbed her wrist lightly telling her that it was to be saved for last.

Slightly disappointed, but not showing it, Bunny obediently opened the boxes first. Her face lit up when the first present revealed the new bunny stuffed animal toy that she had been wanting for several months. She smiled again when the second present turned out to be a gift certificate worth $50 to any store in the mall. Bunny turned to her mother and asked,

"Can I see what is in the basket now, please?"

Iris agreed, and looked at the basket. She wondered if the present was still in there since not a sound was heard from it all evening. She watched in eager anticipation as her daughter lifted the cloth, revealing the midnight black cat. She had curled up into a little ball on her side, a ribbon around tied her neck in a large bow, the dark blue color of it matching her eyes (if they had been open). The little cat was sleeping.

Bunny gave an awed little cry and reached out for the kitten, gently lifting her out of the basket to avoid waking her. She wasn't so successful, but the newly woken kitten didn't seem to mind too much.

"Oooh, she's so adorable! What's her name?" Bunny asked softly, her eyes never straying from her new pet's.

"You can name her whatever you like dear. She's yours. Of course you'll have to do most of the work for taking care of her, but I'm sure your father and I can help you out from time to time." Iris smiled at her daughter, inwardly pleased that she liked the mysterious cat.

Taking a close look at the cat, Bunny noticed a gold colored patch of skin that looked like a crescent moon opening upwards. She suddenly knew what to name her,

"I'll call her Luna."

Iris and Kevin looked at each other startled. The cat, dubbed `Luna', seemed to have a look of surprise on her face before it quickly disappeared and her face took on the appearance of a normal cat's. Luna purred in contentment and agreement at her new name, her tail swishing back and forth gently, body rumbling from the force of the purrs, all the while looking into her new owner's eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

She is definitely the one. I will tell her tonight. The forces are becoming too strong and she will be needed and called upon anyway.

Tonight her destiny starts.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

Although Iris and Kevin were confused when their daughter named her cat `Luna', they became even more confused when she explained why she named her `Luna'.

"It's because of that gold-colored-crescent-moon-bald-spot on her forehead, see?" Bunny explained, holding up Luna for their inspection.

Bunny's parents took a long look at their daughter, then at Luna, and then back to their daughter. Simultaneously they looked at one another and then felt Serena's forehead to check for a fever. After several minutes of trying to tell her that there was nothing on the cat's forehead except her black fur, Bunny finally gave in and said that Luna just seemed like a good name for her.

That night, as Serena was sleeping she had a strange dream. She was standing on a balcony looking down upon a beautiful garden full of white roses. Her first thought was that it was night out, but then why were the roses in full bloom? and then she realized that the light had a bluish tint to it although she couldn't find its source.

The sound of light footsteps was heard behind her and she turned around to face her visitor, slightly upset at the intrusion. She had to look up at her guest and saw a beautiful woman before her. Her hair was a silvery-lavender color, put up in a style like the one Bunny wore during the daytime. The woman wore a dress that hugged her figure, but was loose enough that it didn't seem indecent. Her facial features were mostly blocked by shadows but her silhouette was seen clearly with the light behind her. The only distinguishing marks about her was the faintly glowing crescent moon on her forehead, much like Luna's, and her lavender-blue eyes that gazed upon Serena with love and hope.

"Who are you?"

"Someone from long ago, himeko*. Someone you don't need to know much about at the moment. The shadows are closing in faster than I expected, and I don't know how much time I have here with you. I want you to know and remember that I love you always and will forever be with you, himeko," the mysterious woman replied in a melodious voice.

Although her words struck a disturbing chord with her, her voice made Serena feel as though she had known this woman before, and both loved and trusted her very much. All of a sudden, the surroundings started to fade and a faint yet unfamiliar voice was heard, calling Bunny's name.

"Before you go, himeko, remember this:

As Night's darkness

Fast encreeps

When the rainbow

Does entreat

Calling forth

A power strong

The Trinity

Will fight along

From tarnished silver

To silver bright

When Trinity

Joins in the fight

When gold creates

A matching light

When Purity

Shines blinding white

When Death retreats

At Keeper's will

When Fighter's fighting

Loses thrill

Then darkness shall

Be driven back

And peace created

With Love's attack

Don't forget this, himeko. You will need it to defeat the shadows. Be safe my --!"

Those last words were cut off as Bunny was pulled from her strange dream world into reality by --

Her CAT!!??

"Okay, now this is an even weirder dream than before!" Bunny said to herself as she stared into Luna's eyes. "I know that my cat did not say my name. Cats don't talk! That's how things are, isn't that right Luna?" she asked her cat. She had meant it as a rhetorical question, she was hardly expecting her cat to reply!

"That may be the case with ordinary cats, but I'm not just any ordinary cat, Serena. Just like you are not just any ordinary girl. You are the defender of love and justice, guarded by the Moon, holder of the powers of the moonlight, and the leader of the Sailor Senshi - Sailor Moon!"

When poor Serena heard those words she fainted dead away.

Oh dear. Looks like I have more work than I thought. At least I have some time. The Negaverse isn't that strong yet, and attacks happen barely once a month, but it's better to be safe than sorry and get an early start.

And with that thought in mind, Luna set about the near-impossible task of trying to wake up little seven year old Serena Tsukino.

**************************************************************** *************************************************

BTW - *himeko - I'm using this to mean `my little princess' (hime means princess, -ko means `my little' or `little') I think that's it. I hope everyone likes the story so far and please keep reading!! It'll get better!!