Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Slipper ❯ Chapter 6

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Hey, all of you out there! I'm back!! How are you doing? Remember me? Or should I say remember this fic? Well anyway, sorry to those of you who have been waiting, *looks around and, seeing nobody, sweatdrops* but chapter 6 is finally out, so enjoy!

Disclaimer: NO! You quacked up goons!! I don't own Sailor Moon! Go ask Naoko Takeuchi!


Crystal Slipper by Crystal Rose

~ Part 6 ~

As Prince Darien proceeded in escorting Serena around the Palace grounds, she began to feel a strange, yet comforting, sense of closeness to the prince. All day long they had walked together, laughing and talking with one another, enjoying each other's company. They had just come upon the palace garden's grand fountain when the prince stopped suddenly.

"Oh, no! I almost forgot," the prince burst out.

"What?! What is it?!!" Serena asked, panicked, "What's wrong?!"

The prince looked slightly startled by her response, but smiled warmly when he realized she was only worried for him.

"Don't worry. It's nothing to fret about, Serena."

Hearing this, she immediately calmed down and, sitting upon the edge of the fountain, let out a breath of air, relieved.

"Well, that is good to hear, my prince, but what, may I ask was that all about?" Serena looked at the prince questioningly. The prince sighed.

"Well, you see. Tomorrow is the celebration of my birthday and I wanted to be sure that you would be attending."

"Tomorrow?" Serena was shocked. She had already burdened the prince for days now. She couldn't possibly stay any longer. As if reading her mind, the prince quickly spoke.

"Yes, and I don't want to hear another word about it," Prince Darien knelt down on one knee to stare into Serena's face, while placing his finger upon her lips just as she was about to speak once more.

"Not another word," he commanded as he looked into her eyes, his gaze becoming more intense as he seemed to stare into the depths of her soul. Their hearts beat together at a furious pace as her hand reached out to rest upon his arm in an attempt to break the trance that had been cast upon them; to stop them from doing what both he and she knew would eventually happen. Unfortunately, neither of them seemed to be aware of their actions as he slowly inched his head towards hers, his eyes drooping downward while she gazed dreamily at him, her own eyes fluttering closed. She could feel his ragged breath upon her lips as they came closer and closer.

"Your highness!"

Startled by the sudden interruption. The prince lost his balance and fell forward onto Serena, who shrieked in surprise as both she and Prince Darien went splashing into the fountain. The prince was first to emerge, sopping wet with his hair pasted to his forehead as water streamed down his clothes. Right behind him, Serena came to the surface sputtering and coughing.

Pushing his hair out of the way, Prince Darien quickly went to Serena's aid and knelt down beside her, taking her into his protective embrace. Smiling, the prince tenderly brushed aside Serena's sopping wet bangs as she clung to him for stability.

"Are you alright?"

Serena looked up to see Prince Darien staring down at her intently and blushed a bit before quickly looking downward and nodding slightly. The moment was spoiled when the sound of someone clearing their throat was heard. Looking up startled, Prince Darien and Serena both seemed to acknowledge, for the first time, the presence of the palace guard standing beside the fountain.

"Your highness," the guard bowed, "Their majesties wish to discuss matters invovling the celebration that is to be in your honor."

Quickly signaling for the man to rise, Prince Darien stood from within the fountain, trying to gather any remaining dignity and pride from his and Serena's recent display, while Serena merely watched him from below.

"Tell them I'll be on my way," Prince Darien commanded.

The man hastily bowed once more before running off to the palace. Serena looked up questioningly at Prince Darien. Darien, noticing her stare from the corner of his eye, glanced down at Serena and raised an eyebrow. They stared at one another in silence until the prince gave up and sighed, exasperated.
"What?" The prince demanded.

"Oh," Serena looked down once more, "Nothing."

"Come on," the prince crossed his arms impatiently, "Out with it."

"Well . . . I . . . I'm sorry if I have offended you, your highness, but I really did not mean anything by my actions. It was very rude of me and I do apologize." Serena bowed her head in shame.

Sighing from Serena's behavior and the use of his much hated title, Prince Darien knelt down to help the girl to her feet. Looking at his hand for a moment, Serena hesitantly placed her own delicate hand in his. She marveled for a moment at how his hand was so incredibly warm, enclosing her much smaller hand like a warm glove. She was startled out of her thoughts when she felt herself being lifted to her feet.

"Well?" The prince waited.

"Well what, your highness?" Serena looked up, genuinely confused.

"What is it you wish to know?"

"Oh," Serena looked down embarassed, "I had only been pondering how you could celebrate your birthday when it has already passed." The prince looked slightly bewildered until understanding dawned on him.

"Ah, I see."

"See what, my prince?"

"You wonder about the ball?"

"Yes," Serena answered hesitantly as the prince began walking.

"Well, you see. It is quite a simple matter. Every year, a week prior to the day of my birth, we hold a celebration to please the people. Privately, however, we prefer something less extravagant. Much less the gala of the year."

"Is that so, your highness? I always thought royalty enjoyed splendor, not to be rude or anything."

Serena began nervously tugging at the folds of her wet dress as she stared down at the ground, but immediately looked up at the sound of laughter to find the prince quite amused while she stared on in disbelief. When the prince caught sight of her expression he quickly sobered and coughed rather obviously into his fist, trying to erase the fact that he had just been laughing like a drunken idiot a few moments ago, which, according to royal protocol, was highly inappropriate.

In seeing this, Serena also made an effort in stopping the laughter that threatened to burst forth from her own mouth, though failed as a few giggles made their way to the surface. The prince raised an eyebrow.

"I'm s-sorry your highness," Serena spoke with difficulty while trying to contain herself, "But I just can't help myself ... your face ... I ..." And with that she broke into an uncontrolabe fit of giggles. As the prince watched her, he seemed to gain a strange glint in his eye as he smiled mischeviously and approached her.

"So, you think that funny? Well how about this?!" The prince pounced upon her, tickling her until she began to cry.

"Ah! Please!" Serena laughed and cried at the same time. "Your highness!"

"Yes? What is it?" The prince redoubled his efforts and they both fell back into the fountain as he continued to torture the poor girl.

"I beg of you! Let me go!"

"No, I think not!"

"Please, My prince! Stop!!" Hearing this, the prince gave a hearty laugh and pulled her to her legs as she wobbled, disoriented from the loss of air, and the soreness of her stomach was taken into account. Breathing heavily, and unconsciously leaning upon the prince for support, she clutched her stomach weakly as she felt the muscles protest to her movement. Watching her actions, the prince had become increasingly concerned.

"Serena, are you alright? I didn't hurt you did I? I should have known better than that, to engage you in such physically strenuous actitivites while your wound hasn't fully healed. Oh, god I'm so sorry, Serena. I really ..."

"No," Serena placed a finger upon his lips to silence the flow of words she knew was just waiting to spill forth. "Please, don't ... don't worry yourself ... your highness." Her voice seemed like a soft gentle breeze, pleasant and soothing to the mind. He stood there listening, staring at her and yet, at the same time, past her, not really seeing at all. Feeling a sudden pressure upon his chest, he snapped out of his trance-like state to look down and see that Serena had fallen asleep on him, literally. Looking at the sky, he noticed it had just begun to darken. Lifting her gently into his arms, he placed a kiss on her forehead and made his way towards the palace, leaving a trail of
wet footprints behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So how was that? Boring? Too mushy? Not mushy enough?
EMAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! I crave email!!

Crystal Rose ^_~