Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Slipper ❯ Chapter 7

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Hey, out there! The next chapter is finally here!! Believe me, I'm just as happy as you are. *pauses* you are happy, right? ^_^;; Oh well, hope you guys are still reading this!!

Disclaimer: No! I don't own Sailor Moon!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crystal Slipper by Crystal Rose

~ Part 7 ~

Once again awakening to the soft pastel pink walls of her palace room, Serena stretched and yawned luxuriously, enjoying the feel of the bed as she did so. Lazily rolling onto her stomach, she prepared to go back to sleep when...

SLAM

The door closed with a bang as a young girl ran inside, hurriedly rushing to Serena's side.

"Oh, dear miss. Please wake up. You'll be late to the Prince's ball! You wouldn't want that now, would you?" Blinking wearily, Serena stared at the small girl who had awakened her, sleep clouding her eyes. She had beautiful long wavy hair that was deep rich purple in color. Her sky blue eyes shined brightly as she pouted adorably. She looked to be just a few years younger than her and was barely taller than the bedpost she stood beside.

"Who are you?" She mumbled, still only half awake.

"Oh, I'm Luna. From now on I'll be tending to you! I know we'll have lots of fun together." She smiled cheerfully. "But now, you really should be getting out of bed Miss Serena."

"Oh, oh right," Serena yawned again as she stumbled to her feet. "Please, do call me Serena, though." She rubbed her eyes sleepily. Luna nodded.

"Whatever pleases you, Miss Serena."

Rushing into the bathroom, Luna came running out with a towel in one hand and ushered Serena into the bath. There were candles lit about the entire room, causing Serena to squint in dismay as she held her hand to her face. The bath was filled with water to the brim and she quickly found herself to be in a state of undress. She vaguely wondered if this was a dream as Luna threw her into the bath, the half-awake girl still not putting up any resistance or giving any response other than the occasional snore, that is until she hit the water.

"AHHH!" She shrieked as she resurfaced, sputtering and gasping terribly. The water was ice cold.

"W-what ...The water is f-freezing!" Serena choked out between chattering teeth. She shivered uncontrollably. Luna looked slightly concerned.

"It is?" Touching the water, she jumped back in surprise. "Oh! Well lets get you out of there, you poor dear. This is all my fault! Please, wait here a moment while I dump this out and refill it with some warm water. I'm terribly sorry, I..."

"No," Serena interrupted her quickly, gently placing her hand on the other girl's arm, "No, that won't be necessary." The small girl looked up unsure, her blue eyes filled with unshed tears of shame as she bit her lip and fought them back bravely.

"But...but it was my fault. I fouled up. I..." She looked down to the floor and began to cry brokenly, "I'm sorry. It seems I always do something like this," She sniffled, "If the prince finds out about another of my follies, I'll..."

"Shh," Serena soothed, effectively cutting her off as she stood to embrace the small child, seemingly forgetting her own distress for the moment. "Don't worry. I'm fine. See?" She smiled and tilted the girl's head a bit, looking down into Luna's tear stricken face. The young girl sniffled and rubbed her nose childishly.

"I...Ok." Her soft response immediately put a grin on Serena's face. She reminded her so much of herself at that age. She stroked Luna's hair softly, in a motherly way. Luna giggled.

"What? What do you find so amusing?" Luna stepped back, a smile filled with mirth on her face.

"Here I am, a mess while you comfort and take care of me, when it should be the other way around!" She burst out into a fit of giggles. Serena chuckled a bit.

"Yes, I suppose so."

The giggling stopped and the room filled with a sudden silence as neither could think of what to say. Finally, Serena broke the silence.

"Well, then if that's the case. Why don't you hurry over and help me bathe before I freeze to death."

Luna smiled gratefully and began to cross over to the bathtub when the door burst open with a gust of wind.

"SERENA!"

Standing there was Prince Endymion, his eyes wild as they darted about the room. His hair was in disarray and his bare chest gleamed in the now dim candlelight. Serena stood shocked, a deer caught in headlights while Luna continually opened and closed her mouth, no sound escaping her lips. The prince halted in his tirade, uncertain now. As the silence stretched on, the tension in the room began to build. He blinked, eyes widening as he realized Serena's state of undress.

"Ahem," he promptly turned around and exited the bathroom, the slam of the door punctuating his departure. Silence reigned once again.

A small snicker came from one of the girls before both broke out into laughter, giggling hysterically, the tension disappearing from the room. Just outside the window, the briefest flash of silver could be seen against the darkening sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later found Serena sitting at the vanity while Luna flitted about her, fussing with her hair and makeup. Serena sat silently, the only sign of complaint being a faint scowl on her face.

"Miss Serena," came Luna's plaintive voice, "You really mustn't scrunch your face up like that. It causes wrinkles you know...not to mention making my job much harder," she mumbled to herself and frowned momentarily before plastering a bright and cheery smile onto her face once more.

"Plus, you'd look so much better with a smile," She nodded as if agreeing with herself, much to the amusement of Serena.

'Well, you know what they say,' thought Serena wryly, 'flattery is the key.' She sighed and looked down submissively, "Alright, alright."

A knock at the door drew their attention and this time it was Luna's turn to scowl.

"Who is it? Miss Serena is very busy at the moment."

"This is Prince Endymion. Now may I please enter?"

He spoke in short, clipped tones, his voice sounding almost angry. His impatience shown when he burst into the room, nearly knocking over poor Luna as she opened the door. He strode quickly and purposefully towards Serena, muttering an offhand command to be left alone. His face was a cool mask of fury, the taut lines in his face outlined in grim detail, and his eyes, normally a stormy blue, had hardened to an icy blue-grey. His jaw clenched at the sight of her and he fidgeted a bit, unable to begin. She was a bit startled to say the least.

"P-Prince Endymion! What..."

He sighed in resignation and his eyes lost a bit of their coldness as he sat down upon her bed, his head bowed low between his legs. Such a pitiful sight he made that Serena was compelled to join him, hesitantly leaning against his shoulder in a show of affection. Despite himself, the prince managed a weak smile, grateful for her offered warmth. He didn't how he was going to break the news to her. He steeled himself and turned to speak, only to find himself looking down into a pair of big, innocent ocean-blue eyes. He simply melted.

"Miss Serena...Serena..." Here he paused as Serena sat up and smiled encouragingly.

"Yes, your highness?"

". . . . . ."

"Your highness?"

"Mistress Beryl has just arrived at the front gates." Her eyes widened in surprise as an impending sense of doom fell upon her. When she spoke, her voice was weak and strained.

"What...what did she want?" The prince's face darkened.

"She demanded you be returned."

"Oh, well that's nothing," Her voice shook as she tried to fake nonchalance, "You can always just tell her off, right? I mean you are the prince, after all."

Silence.

"Right?" She squeaked uncertainly, trying to fight the tears that now flooded her eyes.

He sighed.

"It's not that simple. You see, she's threatened to reveal your stay here, to expose you as my mistress, or even worse, my prisoner."

He gently took her into his arms as she began to cry, running his hand through her long, golden locks. Stroking her back, he murmured soothing words into her hair, comforting her to the best of his ability. She knew that this was a grave matter; if anyone caught wind of her stepmother's accusations, the results would be devastating. Word of the alleged scandal would spread through the lands, staining the royal name forever. People would lose respect for the royal family.

'All this from a scandal,' she thought bitterly, 'a scandal that does not exist.'

"It'll be alright. I'll see to it that they treat you well, and I'm sure our paths will cross once more. In fact, I'm sure of it."

The feeling of his warm breath upon her neck felt strangely comforting.

She sniffled and pulled away to stare into his honest face, full of warmth and kindness. She smiled, lips trembling, and began to speak. He shushed her with a gentle finger, staring at her with intense, dark blue eyes. Slowly, slowly, he brought his lips down to hers. She froze, momentarily shocked, before her eyes fluttered closed.

"Serena," he murmured as he pulled away, eyes clouded with desire.

He brought a hand up to her face, gently caressing her cheek. Smiling, He kissed her forehead tenderly before abruptly sweeping out of the room. His voice drifted down to her from the hallway.

"I'll see you at the palace gates."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The weather this evening was humid, but pleasantly so. The sun was just setting and beautiful rays of orange and red painted the countryside in stripes; a gentle whisper of wind came here and there. The picture it made was simply beautiful. The young, voluptuous woman only added to the scene, or would have if it weren't for the string of curses being issued from her mouth. A very unladylike thing to do, not that Metallia was a lady in the first place. Her very title was an oxymoron, a fact that was punctuated by the vile things coming from her mouth. The elegant clothes she wore simply supported claims of the way she acted: like a harlot. Just beside her, Galaxia fidgeted uncomfortably. Beryl stood before them both, rigid and unmoving, staring at the palace doors as if transfixed. Her eyes narrowed just a hair. She was as observant as ever now, like a hawk waiting for its prey. Moments later, the doors swung upon.

"Good evening, fair ladies."

The prince's voice held a note of bitter amusement. Beryl nodded curtly to the prince, as one would a bellboy, and proceeded straight to business.

"Where is the girl?"

"Why, my dear lady, your eagerness is more than evidence enough of how you must have missed your daughter so." His words dripped with sarcasm. She was not amused.

"As so happens, the lady Serena is just on her way and will be here in a matter of moments."

"Let us hope so, your highness. Let us hope so."

And with that, the grim lines in her face deepened, if possible. In the new silence, a slight rustle of fabric caught the prince's attention. His eyes flickered to his right to catch view of a very fidgety girl: Galaxia. She played with the hem of her skirt once more, the sound of the fabric loud and clear in the descending darkness. He groaned at his bad fortune of having caught the eye of Metallica, who, now that she had his attention, batted her eyelashes and swayed her voluptuous body shamelessly. He sighed silently and turned his gaze to the sky, now speckled with thousands of stars.

It was the sound of footsteps echoing lightly down the hallway that alerted him to their long-awaited guest's arrival.

"Hello, everyone. I hope you did not wait too long."

Serena smiled timidly, nodding respectfully to Beryl before glancing at the prince nervously, not at all sure what to do next. This problem was solved shortly as Beryl turned to give a stern look at Serena and stated that they were leaving, period. No room for discussion. Not waiting for her, the three began to retrace their steps on the worn road without even a single glance backwards. She hesitated and turned towards the prince, her lips parted to speak when Beryl's voice came from the head of the procession, ordering her to follow. Her shoulders drooped and her head lowered as she stared down at the dirt dejectedly before turning about abruptly to run after them, quickly disappearing from the prince's sight. He sighed heartily now, for he would miss her.

His thoughts on the golden haired beauty he had become increasingly attached to, the preoccupied prince wandered back into the palace, missing the sudden appearance of a flawless white flower, its petals glowing eerily against the dark soot of the road. The clouds gathered above, dark and moody. In a fabulous crack of thunder, the heavens themselves expressed their very anger as sheet after sheet of rain fell upon the earth, each droplet of water pounding heavily against the wet soot. Amongst all the turmoil, the flower glowed even brighter than before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S erena...

That lilting voice...

Serena...

...sweet and musical...

Where are you? ...

Oh god, it was...

Serena!...

Here she was again...this place of horror...her own personal hell. Thrown from the darkness, she emerged in the ruins of a once glorious castle. Its halls were silent, empty...a tomb.

Serena...Serenity!

She slapped her hands over her ears, fighting to shield her self against the many voices that invaded her mind, whispering, pleading, the many souls of those who once lived now seemingly trapped in the very walls that had once sheltered them, walls that had dug their grave. A cold hand closed over her wrist; the voices stopped immediately. Blinking her eyes open, she slowly turned her gaze upon the hand that held her wrist and froze. The hand was dripping with blood and the cold sensation it had impressed upon her flesh began to penetrate her entire body, chilling it to the bone as she lifted her gaze to confront this being. A sense of dread filled her.

Serena...

A sharp intake of breath. She fell to the floor, clutching her wrist as she stared, horrified, into soulless eyes, eyes that belonged to herself! Standing before her, an exact image of herself was steeped in blood, her face void of emotion. Suddenly, the face morphed, changing into one she knew well, and yet not at all. It was the wild, red-haired woman from before, her evil laugh echoing off the marble walls. She smiled cruelly and held up her hand, a single finger pointed her way mockingly. She instinctively clutched at her clothes protectively; something smeared against the cloth. She blinked and looked down in shock. Blood. Her eyes widened incredulously. Blood! The metallic smell reached her nose and she wanted to retch. Blood!!

A piercing shriek tore through the air as the floor suddenly began to flood, the red liquid undeniable. Her voice strained as she was enveloped, drowning in a pool of her own blood. Darkness closed in around her.

Shh...

A gentle voice blew about her like a soothing summer breeze. Suddenly, all she could see was white, pure and beautiful. She felt the touch of cool hands upon her once more and flinched, but before she could even begin to feel frightened, she felt something silky caress her cheek. Long locks of silver white tickled her face and neck. When she looked up, all she saw was a blazing crescent moon, its light nearly blinding her. Then...

Serena...

A flower? No, it was no ordinary flower.

Retrieve it...

Where had that woman gone? All she could see was a small, white flower, yet that voice...

Retrieve the flower...

Who was this woman? Was she even human?

Retrieve it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh !"

Sitting straight up in bed, Serena found herself in a cold sweat, her nightgown sticking to her body as she fought to get her breathing under control. A beam of moonlight pierced the darkness of her room to shine upon her face. Looking out the window, she reveled in the glory of the moon's mysterious beauty. She sighed, relieved to be home in her bed, the gentle light of the moon comforting.

She thought back to her strange dream and shivered slightly at recalling the first half. She shook her head and steeled herself. It wouldn't do for her to be frightened of a dream, for they always had a meaning. Thus, it was necessary. The blood, all that blood. Something to do with an overwhelming amount of bloodshed and...Beryl...but that flower. She could remember it vividly in her mind, and even now, the woman's voice compelled her. She sighed, a small smile curving her lips. She knew her own curious nature too well. She might as well go searching for it, starting tomorrow.

Smiling, she turned onto her side and prepared to go back to sleep, but couldn't. With the light of the full moon upon her face, she felt alive and almost giddy. Jumping out of bed, she quickly changed into a long, warm dress, well suited for the night. Its white fabric shimmered in the moonlight. Tiptoeing through the house, she slowly made her way to the front door. Nervously glancing both ways, she opened the door a crack, then carefully squeezed through. She shut the door and exhaled in relief. She didn't know what Beryl would do if she found her trying to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night.

Walking about her lovely rose garden, she thought back to earlier that day. It had truly seemed like they were walking in a funeral procession, either that or an execution, at which she was the one found guilty. No, Beryl's rage would only double if she found her out here, something she sorely hoped would not happen. For one thing, her chores would be overwhelming, what with doing all the housework she had missed on top of extra chores for punishment. She had spent the entire evening cleaning the floor, today; her hands ached slightly at the memory.

"No it's not..."

"...sure you..."

"I can't believe..."

Whispering, many voices whispering. She berated herself for her sudden fear. She was not dreaming now. This was real, but then that would mean that...Burglars? That seemed reasonable, but why the barn? There was really nothing worth of value there, unless they were after their horse? No, something smells foul here.

Cracking the barnyard door open an inch, she eyed the insides. Hmm, empty. Very strange, but...

"...you dimwit..."

"...it was..."

The voices! They were still coming from there. She cautiously nudged the door open, for once happy that she was always forced to keep the barn door well oiled. Sneaking inside, she tried to follow the sound of the peoples' voices, but they seemed to be coming from all around her and beneath...wait a minute...that was it! They were coming from beneath her, but how could that be unless...

She began carefully looking about the wooden floorboards, hoping, and wishing for some sort of small sign. Maybe she would have better luck in the stalls? Gently prodding open a stall door, she searched the hay-covered floor. Standing up, she sighed. No luck. A glint of silver caught her eye. The next stall! She hurried over and began searching on her knees, looking for whatever she had seen. Her hand swept over something smooth and cool. Her heart beat loudly in her ears as she cleared away the hay with shaking hands. There, attached to the wood, was a metal handle. A trap door!

"You imbecile!"

"...never..."

The voices were louder than ever and eerily familiar. Licking her dry lips, she slowly pulled on the handle. The trap door opened to reveal a flight of wooden stairs. Gathering as much courage as possible, she slowly eased herself down to the first step, gently closing the door above her. The air carried a musty, moldy odor. She fought the urge to cough or sneeze and crept down the winding stairs, walls of stone on either side of her. When she reached the bottom, she found the voices were louder than ever. She could distinctly hear the loud shrill of a woman's voice, a man softly mumbling in the background. Hiding behind the shelf that sat beside the stairs, she peeked through a small gap in the wood. She gasped, covering her mouth with a trembling hand.

There, in the middle of the room, the woman from her nightmares stood, her wild red hair as vivid as ever. She stood with her back to her, talking to the man whose voice she had heard on the stairs. She stepped aside, revealing...no it was impossible! But...there he was...her father! Her long dead father!! She began breathing heavily, almost hyperventilating in an effort to breathe normally.

"So, Beryl. You've finally decided to do away with me, have you? You coward!" He spat in her face.

"You will regret that you ever spited Queen Beryl, ruler of all darkness! Now, you shall suffer for your disobedience!!"

And with that, a strange light burst from her hands and enveloped him. He screamed in agony as his skin and flesh melted from his body, leaving only a charred skeleton as evidence of his existence.

"Mmfh!"

Serena muffled the scream that wanted to escape, the sight of her father branded into her mind forever. Tears ran down her face, unheeded as she stared at the woman who laughed maniacally in the center of the room. She was nearly hysterical with fright now, and all she knew was that she had to escape from this nightmare come to life.

"Dispose of the body."

Beryl's cold voice rang throughout the chamber. Two girls quickly ran to the skeletal remains and took it from sight: Metallia and Galaxia! She began to head toward the stairs, but legs that had gone stiff and numb failed her; she slipped and froze on the spot, not daring to breathe. Beryl's eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"Your darkness we've-"

Beryl signaled them to silence, waiting, listening, almost daring Serena to reveal herself. Seconds passed like hours as she waited, horrified to think what would befall her if she were discovered. Finally, she dismissed it and began to converse with the two. Not waiting about to find out more, Serena scurried clumsily up the steps, fear dominating her actions. She didn't stop when she reached the barn door, but kept running, though to where she didn't know.

After a few minutes, she'd finally gotten her wits together enough to recognize that she was heading towards the palace. Her pace quickened. She had to reach the prince. She had to!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And there ya have it! I haven't worked on this story in a while, so don't flame me if the writing seems different (unless you're compelled to of course ^_^;;). Well, it takes a while for me to get writing, but the next and last chapter will be out soon! Please (please) stay tuned!!

Crystal Rose ^_~

P.S.- REVIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!! ^_^