Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Slipper ❯ Chapter 8

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Hey, you guys! I finally finished this!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! As you can see, I'm quite excited. Anyway, sorry for the delay (you all know by now how much of a procrastinator I am ^_^;;). I hope you enjoy the ending, truly I do. The only warning I can give you is that the ending is quite strange and (hopefully) original.

Disclaimer: SAILOR MOON DOES NOT BELONG TO ME!! DO I LOOK LIKE NAOKO TAKEUCHI?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Crystal Slipper by Crystal Rose

~ Part 8 ~

WHAM

Slamming the house's front door wide open, Beryl let loose with a scream of fury. Her chest heaving, she looked about wildly, her jaw clenched unbearably tight.

"She's gone!" She gritted out from between her teeth.

Pushing aside a stray hair of gray, she began muttering a string of curses as she thought to herself. She paused suddenly.

"Galaxia! Metallia! Come to me!!" The two girls scurried out from the house.

"Yes, mother?" Beryl's eyes narrowed.

"There's no need for that," She snapped, "The little twit knows!" The two girls were completely unfazed by this bit of news.

"What do you plan on doing, your darkness?"

Beryl's face became grim, "Saddle the horses and follow me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Runn ing relentlessly for the past hour or so, Serena began to tire as exhaustion set in. Her feet were scratched and sore, and she'd picked up a few cuts and bruises from passing through the forest. As scenes of houses and greenery flashed by her, she fell into a sort of trance, unable to stop even as her body began to surrender. Her dress had long since been torn to rags, and in the cold night air, she could see her breath before her, lungs stinging from the cold. As the night had progressed, the temperature had dropped significantly and both her fingers and toes were numb with acute frostbite. A look of weary determination was plastered to her face.

'I must reach the prince.'

Over and over again she repeated this in her mind like a mantra. She needn't question why this was so. She was so exhausted, both mentally and physically, that she doubted her mind even had the capacity to debate the reason, though deep in her heart, she knew he would protect her; she would feel safe. Running with more conviction than before, she urged her weary body to speed up once more.

'Just a little more,' she thought desperately, 'Just a little more!'

Her body screamed in protest as she pushed on even harder.

'Finally!'

She'd reached the main dirt road to the palace. As she caught sight of the palace, her heart raced faster than before, her previous panic returning as she expected Beryl to arrive at any moment. Calling on her last reserves of strength, she sprinted towards the palace, her breath coming in short gasps. Her eyes darted about wildly in her paranoia, her feet splashing in puddles as she raced across the damp road.

Stepping unexpectedly into a deep puddle, she lost her footing and gasped in surprise as she felt her body hit the muddy ground. Already terribly short of breath, she began coughing harshly, the fall having knocked the breath out of her. Literally choking for breath, she curled into a small ball in the middle of the road, her labored breathing the only sound audible.

Suddenly...suddenly a warm breeze seemed to blow across her face, enveloping her in a comforting embrace, warming her entire body from within. She inhaled roughly and felt as if she'd just inhaled life itself, for the aching in her lungs eased and she could breathe again. As her eyes fluttered open, she gazed upon the sight before her with awe, her mind still hazy as she reveled in the warmth surrounding her. Slowly, her gaze focused and her mind became sharp and aware once more. Her eyes snapped open in shock as she pushed herself off the muddy ground and sat, her mind numb. There, in the middle of the road, was a small flower of the purest white. It must have been trampled many a time as this was a most commonly used road, yet the small plant showed no signs of ill health and seemed to literally shine. Her eyes widened in recognition as the sight triggered a memory...a memory of a beautiful white flower and a voice...a gentle voice that whispered...'retrieve it'... Entranced by its innocent beauty, Serena reached out to caress the beautiful petals. Closer and closer her hand came...

BOOM

Just as she made contact with the flower's silky petals, a loud clap of thunder sounded, startling her into awareness. Fear struck her immediately. Beryl would be here any moment now, but the flower...She looked back down to find it gone. What was going on? The sun was setting and it would soon be dark. She shook her head and forced herself to calm down and think clearly. Now was not the time for panic.

'The prince. Right. Get to the prince!'

Her mind made up, she ran to the palace gates determined. Two men stood guard there; they stopped her immediately and asked what business she had.

"Please," she begged, "You must let me through! It's a matter of great importance!!"

Thinking this was simply another child scheming to enter the palace, the two guards hardly believed her story.

"I'm sorry miss, but we can not allow your passage." The younger of the two guards addressed her politely.

"But, you don't understand! I must see the prince!!"

The elder guard snorted and glared down at her.

"Now listen here, missy. You'll not fool us with your nonsense, so go on home," he spoke in a condescending tone. Her face paled in disbelief and shock as the realization of defeat began sinking in.

"But--"

"Hey, maybe next time," the younger guard smiled sympathetically.

She walked away slowly, her head dropped as silent tears streamed down her face. She watched, dejected, as each tear splashed the dirt before being absorbed into the earth. She'd come so far, suffered so much, and they wouldn't let her through! It was all too much for a girl to handle. Rounding the corner of the palace wall, she leaned back to rest against the cool surface. Sagging against the wall, her body limp with exhaustion, she sunk to her knees and began to cry in earnest. Everything had gone wrong! Even now, sitting against the cold stone wall, she could hear the two guards laughing at her failed 'attempt' to enter the palace. They even had the audacity to critique her as being far too unrealistic! Slowly, a new emotion began to surface, smothering her sorrow fiercely: anger. She was angry at Beryl, angry at the world! She was angry with herself, the two guards who laughed at her still, and most of all...most of all...the unfairness of her life! More stubborn than ever, Serena vowed that she would reach the prince if it killed her!

As if sensing her thoughts, the sky let loose with another powerful roar of thunder as a bolt of lightening raced across the sky, brightening the night air. Rising to her feet, she looked about her quickly and noted that the guards couldn't see her from their current position, and certainly couldn't hear her. She debated the probability of her getting caught, then shrugged.

'It worked once, and it'll work again.'

Scanning her surroundings, Serena spotted a tall tree a few feet ahead and smiled. It was perfect. A tall sturdy oak with plenty of long branches, it stood a few feet higher than the wall, its trunk planted just a foot from the stone. Looking around to make sure she wasn't being watched, she lifted herself to the lowest branch and began to climb, steadily making her way up. When she was level with the wall, she carefully inched forward on a branch to kneel on the wall's broad surface. Sneaking a quick look at the two guards, she was satisfied to find them oblivious to her presence. Staring down at the ground below, she felt a bit of apprehension, but ruthlessly shoved it down as she dropped, landing silently with the soft grass to cushion her fall. She quickly rose and headed for the palace doors.

'I won't give up. I won't!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

< br> "Oh, Prince Endymion, your highness! You're looking so handsome tonight!"

"Would you like to dance, your highness?"

"My prince, I would be so honored if you would join me in a discussion about..."

Standing amongst a crowd of young women, Prince Endymion surveyed the room with a disinterested expression. Unfortunately for him, his moping only caused the group of women surrounding him to admire him even further, their high-pitched giggling nearly driving him insane. He sighed inaudibly.
"Welcome, welcome!"

The king's voice rung out clearly across the ballroom, his commanding presence causing the guests to stop their festivities and give him their utmost attention.

"Today, we celebrate a historical passing of time."

Cheers of assent came from the crowd. The king held up his hands to signal their silence, his eyes merry and full of joy as his chest puffed out with pride.

"My son and heir to the throne, Prince Endymion, has finally come of age!"

The crowd simply erupted with noise, most of it coming from distant cousins and other relatives of the female gender.

"Hear hear!"

"Three cheers for the young prince!!"

"What a fine boy!"

This went on for hours on end, compliments being thrown at him and his father while girls curtsied and fluttered their lashes at him coquettishly. Endymion, or rather Darien, looked about in a bored fashion, wishing that a certain golden haired beauty was with him. He sighed once more, completely depressed.

CRASH

"Oh, excuse me...sorry...pardon me..."

The sudden racket of a few dishes crashing to the floor turned the prince's attention towards the mayhem at the far end of the room. He blinked, twice, three times even, but there she was in all her splendid glory.

"Serena..."

The name slipped from his lips, his face betraying a look of incredulity. He watched in a dreamy haze as she maneuvered her way across the packed ballroom, her beautiful golden hair streaming behind her, unbound from their usual buns. His dream-induced fantasy ended, however, when she came to stand before him, her dress shredded and her skin smeared with mud. The sight of her ragged state was more then enough to shock him back to reality. Gone was the heady feeling of weightlessness and bliss. All that remained now was shock...shock and worry.

"Prince Endymion! Darien!!"

"Serena, what's wrong? Are you hurt?!"

"No, I...I don't think so, but I ran here as quickly as I could! It's Beryl. I saw her and...and it's just so horrible! I didn't know what to do..."

The people in the ballroom had quickly stepped aside to allow the passage of the hysterical girl and now, they looked on in interest, whispering to one another about the strange girl.

"Serena, calm down! What's going on?"

She took a few deep breaths, her hands shaking convulsively in her panicked state.

"I...don't know...I saw Beryl, and my father--"

"Your father?"

"Yes I--"

CRASH

Suddenly, the entire structure shook, sending almost everyone to the floor. Screams filled the air as bits and pieces of marble fell from the cracked ceiling, and tables were upturned.

BOOM

"Your Majesty!"

Two guards rushed into the room just as the second impact hit. A large chandelier crashed to the floor sending shards of glass flying everywhere. Serena watched in horror as the ceiling began to collapse, chunks of marble falling from above. She looked up, alarmed, when a loud cracking noise came from above. Frozen with fear, Serena could only stare wide-eyed as a large block of marble dislodged itself from the ceiling and plummeted downwards. Time slowed as she watched it fall...closer and closer. She squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable to happen. As her world was draped in darkness, she felt a strong, comforting pressure upon her chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When Serena regained consciousness, she found herself lying half-buried beneath a pile of debris, the same comforting presence from before still there, strangely enough. Craning her head upwards, she caught sight of a tuft of raven black hair. She gasped softly.

"Prince Endymion?" her voice came out as a gentle whisper.

"Darien?!"

Truly worried now, she sat up slowly, pieces of marble falling aside as the prince lay still beside her. Shaking him slightly, Serena called out to him again and again. Her plea becoming frenzied as she shook him roughly, tears stinging her eyes.

She gasped suddenly, her eyes widening as a vision came to her unbidden...a young child speaking to a small yellow rose...the same girl smiling as she hugged a black kitten, a crescent moon shining brightly on its forehead...the young girl laughing as she chased an older, white haired boy...

TIP...TAP...

Jolted back into reality, Serena blinked away the last remnants of the young girl's smiling face from her mind and hesitantly turned, her blood freezing at the sight that awaited her.

"So, here you are...Serena," Beryl's cold voice penetrated the air, strands of silvery hair hanging loose from her tight bun.

Serena's face was filled with fear and confusion, her eyes averting from her stepmother's nervously. How could she face her knowing what she'd seen? Beryl must have known that she'd seen her, seen her-

"What did you think you'd accomplish? Running to the prince for help," She snorted in disgust, "Pathetic!"

Serena merely stood there, trembling as she looked downward, hiding her face behind the curtain of long blond hair. A muffled noise escaped her lips. Beryl leaned down cruelly, a look of mock sympathy on her face.

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

"Why?!" Serena nearly screamed, looking up in that instant to reveal the tears streaming down her face. "Why?" She asked again, her voice cracking with emotion, "Why did you lie to me?! Why did you lie about my father?! How could you kill him?"

Beryl chuckled sinisterly, a screen of darkness slowly enveloping her body before receding like waves from the shore to reveal the deadly beauty of a now young and voluptuous Beryl. Smiling a truly terrifying smile, she threw back her head and laughed maniacally, her eyes bright with anticipation.

"How could I kill him?!" She mocked, cackling insanely.

"Simple! Anyone who crosses Queen Beryl pays the ultimate price!! He should be so lucky as to escape with his soul!"

"But...I don't understand! My father was alive? He-"

"was a fool," Beryl finished for her.

"What did he ever do t-"

"Idiot! Have you not figured it out by now? Your stupidity appalls me! He was never your father!"

Serena seemed speechless for the moment, her mouth working soundlessly.

"W-what?" she choked out weakly.

"Your father's loyalty shouldn't have laid with anyone but me! As a servant of the darkness, he became a traitor the moment he resisted handing you over to me. Yes, your 'father' was nothing but a lowly servant of mine, chosen at random to be your keeper until I returned. I had decided to keep him alive in hopes of changing his disposition, but in the end I had no choice except to eliminate him, as you must remember. Ah, but his screams were so sweet!"

She smiled down cruelly at the silent girl, her smile fading to a frown at the lack of response. Then, in one swift motion, her hand came down...

SMACK

The sound echoed in the open night air as Beryl's hand connected with Serena's cheek, the force of the impact sending her flying to the ground.

"What's the matter?! Cat got your tongue?"

Beryl watched with great satisfaction as Serena struggled to her knees, one delicate hand moving to touch the bright red mark marring her cheek.

Serena's eyes widened as more visions flooded her senses...she was chasing a white cat through the halls...rounding the corner she ran into a tall, white-haired boy...his dark blue eyes sparkled mischievously...

"You know, sometimes I wonder why I brought you here in the first place?" Beryl mused to herself as she turned her back to the young girl and started pacing back and forth.

"Brought me...here?" Serena shook her head to clear her thoughts.

Beryl looked over her shoulder, an eyebrow raised.

"So, you're talking again?"

Getting no response, she shrugged nonchalantly and continued.

"Yes. I often wondered why, but thinking back now, the look on your dying mother's face was priceless."

At this, Serena's head snapped upward in sudden interest. Beryl smiled.

"Ah, now I've got your attention. You truly don't remember who you are? Princess?"

"Princess..."

Serena's voice trailed off as visions of a castle from long ago overwhelmed her. Clear scenes of chaos and devastation played through her mind as her nightmares came back to haunt her; there, in the middle of it all was Beryl in all her glory, laughing at the dying people around her, their tortured screams echoing through the halls. More vivid than ever, the dream seemed, and suddenly there stood Beryl before her, a woman dead at her feet, the mass of silver that was her hair splayed across the cold marble surface of the floor...

"You're remembering, aren't you?" A cold voice interrupted her nightmare and snapped her into awareness.

Beryl's cold laughter rung out as she smiled dangerously.

"Yes, you remember don't you, Princess Serena?" She mocked.

Serena gasped, confused as more and more visions flashed by her. She kneeled forward, grasping her head as the world seemed to spin.

"No..." She whispered in denial, "No, it can't be true."

"But it is!" Beryl smiled madly. "You see, when you were only ten years old, I stole you away from your mother and hid you here."

Serena sat silent, too shocked to speak.

"Your mother," Beryl spat, "She and her worthless kingdom scorned me, laughed at me even..." She paused slightly, her face twisting into an ugly smile. "But I was the only one laughing when the Moon Kingdom was destroyed and your bitch of a mother killed!"

"The moon..."

"Yes, one thousand years ago...I remember the day vividly."

"H-How is that possible? Why didn't you just kill me then?"

"Well, unlike your mother's pathetic excuse for magic, I control true power. With my skilled usage of dark magic, I easily transported us to what is now known as earth! My ultimate revenge on your mother, was the knowledge that she knew you would be lost to her forever in death. Like you said earlier, killing is no fun when the victim is untouched by fear and despair."

Serena stood, shaking with suppressed anger for all the blasphemy that had been done to a mother she could barely remember.

"How...how could this be...when I can barely even recall what my mother looks like?"

"Idiot! You forget I control the strongest magic in existence. Manipulating your past memories was a simple task, but now that you are regaining your memory..."

"...You're going to kill me?"

"HA! Yes, I certainly plan to. With your memories in tact, you could prove to be a big hindrance in my plans to rule both the moon and earth. Yes, I had planned your death just in case something like this occurred. A last resort. However, thinking back, I realize that there was one vital missing factor."

"Wha-"

Beryl stepped forward, her body emitting black energy, "SERENITY! I know you're here." An invisible wind surged and blew wildly about her as lightning crackled at her fingertips.

"I KNOW IT!!"

A large blast of energy flew from Beryl's hands and headed towards Serena as the woman cackled insanely in the background. There was no way she could possibly avoid it in time. She closed her eyes, waiting for the end she knew would come.

BOOM

The impact of the blast almost sent her tumbling backwards, the force was so strong. Winds whipped her hair about wildly, almost blinding her. Then, suddenly...there was nothing...nothing except a feeling of warmth spreading throughout her body like- Her eyes flew open in surprise as they beheld the same white flower from before, shining brightly as it floated in midair just before her, protecting her.

"WHAT?! S-"

Serena...

A lilting voice reached Serena's ears, and all other sound was blocked from hearing.

My dear Serena...I've finally found you.

And in a flash of white, the flower seemed to fall apart, its petals spiraling about an empty space of air. Then, bit by bit, an entity began to fade into sight, the petals disintegrating as soon as the being's arrival was complete. Beautiful white silk shimmered in the moonlight, strands of silver swaying in the gentle breeze as the soft clinking of pearls could be heard in the background. It was a woman, so incredibly beautiful and serene as she smiled lovingly down at Serena.

Serena, for the second time that night, was speechless. She gaped in open admiration at the lovely woman, no goddess, before her. Just being in her presence instilled such a sense of love and peace within her. This feeling of security was lost, however, when a shrewd voice made itself known.

"So, it is you," Beryl spat out contemptuously.

Her head held high, the tall woman's face took on a look of graveness.

"Yes. After an eternity of searching, I've finally found you. Both of you," Serenity added as she nodded in acknowledgement towards Serena.

"M-mother?" Serena stammered, blushing.

Serenity smiled sadly in answer.

"Yes, it is I. My only regret, however, is not being there during your childhood. Now," she stepped forward and placed her hands upon Serena's face gently, "Remember."

The fingers she had placed at her temples glowed a faint blue. Images flashed by quicker than a blink of the eye as Serena struggled to remember.

'Yes, she thought. It's coming back now. I can see it all,' Serena smiled dreamily as she went back in time, back to when she was only three years old. She could see the luscious garden surrounding her in patches of red, yellow, and pink: her favorite colors. And in the background, the walls of the Royal Moon Palace shined a pristine white.

"Hey there."

Spinning around, she came face to face with someone's chest, the white material of the shirt giving off a bright glare. Looking up, she found herself staring into a pair of dark blue eyes, entranced. Blinking at the sound of laughter, she backed up to see a white haired boy laughing jovially, a bright crescent moon shining on his forehead. She stared at the older boy in awe.

"Wow. How did you get rid of all the color in your hair?"

This only served to send the boy into further hysterics as he struggled to breathe.

"You are one strange girl!"

Then... She was five, just learning how to take care of her very own flower. Chattering enthusiastically, she watered a small yellow rose, smiling widely the entire time.

"Meow."

Looking down in surprise, she saw a black kitten brushing up against her leg, its crescent moon shining as usual. Eyes bright, she smiled. Picking up the small kitten, she kissed its heart-shaped nose and giggled as the kitten licked her nose. She hugged the kitten close to her chest, its eyes sparkling like rubies as it mewed contentedly.

"Luna, you're so cute."

The kitten mewed in agreement.

Next, it was her birthday, and she'd just turned ten. Running up and down the halls she searched for her best friend, but discovered he was nowhere to be found.

"Arte--"

She was briefly silenced by a large hand covering her mouth. Her eyes widened as she recognized the scent of lavender. As soon as she was released, she spun about to confront him, only to come face to face with a bright yellow box, a pretty white ribbon tied into a bow at the top. She stopped in surprise, the words dying on her lips as she took the package. She looked up into mischievous blue eyes, unsure of what to do.

"Go on. Open it."

Carefully nudging the lid off, a bright light began to fill the room as a beautiful white flower rose from the box. She gasped.

"It's enchanted. It'll never wilt."

Looking up with tears in her eyes, she smiled most sincerely and ran forward to hug him. His cheeks colored slightly as she buried her face in his shirt.

"Thank you...Thank you Artemis."

He smiled fondly at her.

"Your welcome."

"Artemis"

She opened her eyes a second later, gasping as the image of her mother began to fade.

"Mother! Wait! I--" She reached out desperately, trying to grab hold of Serenity as she disappeared, smiling happily.

"Mother..." She collapsed to the floor in shock.

I'll always be here with you...whenever you need me...

"Mother?!" Serena looked about wildly.

I love you...

She shook as silent tears made their way down her face, the pain of losing a mother she'd just regained too great. She stiffened at the bitter laughter that echoed in the cold night air.

"So, once again the great Serenity flees from Beryl, Queen of Darkness, leaving her poor defenseless daughter to die!"

A heavy silence greeted Beryl's statement. She smirked.

"Well, don't worry. Auntie Beryl will make sure your death is swift and painless, that is, as painless as I see fit! AHA HA HA HAAA!!!"

As the storm of energy headed for her, she looked up and said a prayer. Then, her eyes closed with finality, a single tear leaking out from under one eyelid.

"YAH!!"

The deep voice startled Serena to her senses, her eyes snapping open in clear shock. Standing before her was a young man, his hair tinted a strange greenish black by the reflecting lights of the emitted energies. Defiantly, he stood, shielding her with an undeniably great power.

'That voice...it belongs to...'

"Ah!"

She screamed weakly as the two powers exploded into a white ball of fury, engulfing anyone in its path. Then she was in his arms as he sprinted away from the zone of destruction, carrying her to safety. A final explosion threw them to the ground as the earth trembled and groaned. When everything quieted down and the smoke cleared away, the palace stood in ruins, the land a desolate expanse of nothingness.

'And yet,' she thought, 'the sun shall continue to rise.'

And, as if on cue, the land was immediately bathed in the warm rays of the sun, the earth tinting an orangish red.

"Is she...is she gone?" Serena managed to stammer out.

Finally, he turned to face her, a warm smile upon his face.

"I certainly hope so."

She thought she'd faint from shock. His eyes were as blue as ever, glistening in the pale moonlight as hair, like pure snow, swayed in the breeze. She stood, gaping at him in silence. A soft chuckling met her ears, and she melted.

"A-Artemis?"

"I'm glad you remember me."

She burst into tears of happiness as she jumped into his arms, the force of her momentum bringing them both crashing to the ground. She sniffled as she sat up, blushing as she noticed how her legs straddled his waist. She coughed slightly and moved to sit beside him. He sat up and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I missed you," He whispered into her hair. She sighed contentedly.

"Artemis?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm so glad it's you, but..." At this he pulled back to stare deeply into her eyes.

"But?"

"How? How can this be? You were a part of my childhood memories, yet..."

He laughed suddenly, to her surprise.

"There were some things you never knew, with or without your former memories."

"What? What do you mean?"

"For one: the nature of our relationship. Although, to you it seemed we were the best of friends, in reality, you and I were to be married."

"But how would I not know something as important as that?!" She sputtered angrily.

"Perhaps you were too young at the time to truly grasp the meaning. After all, your mother had told you of our betrothal when you were only three."

'Artemis and I...betrothed?'

She blushed at the implications. Staring down at the ground, she jumped at the startling realization that she'd completely forgotten the prince.

"Oh no! Prince Endymion. We must go back and find him. I can't believe I just left him there. I--"

He shook her slightly, in an attempt to calm her down.

"Serena...look at me," he stepped back slightly, sweeping his hand across the royal garments draped across his broad frame, the black material contrasting greatly with his white hair.

'That outfit,' she gasped in shock, 'It's...it's..."

"Prince Endymion? D-Darien?!"

"Shh," Artemis soothed, pulling her into his arms, "Just know that He and I are truly one and the same. Can't you feel it?"

She began to calm as she listened to the steady rhythm of his breathing. Looking up, she found herself caught in the gaze of those deep blue eyes once again and knew, deep in her heart, that he was right. It all seemed so right.

'Those eyes...those same blue eyes.' She smiled.

"Meow."

A small black kitten jumped into her arms and she gasped suddenly, too lost in thought to have noticed its approach. A bright crescent moon shone from the kitten's forehead as it purred and rubbed against her affectionately.

"Lu-Luna!"

"I think she likes you."

Looking up from the small kitten, Serena smiled shyly, an awkward silence dawning upon the two as he studied her features intently. Then, finally he spoke.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced yet, princess," he said and bowed.

"I am Prince Artemis of Mau, first son of Aristem and Istemar." Serena smiled and curtsied graciously.

"And I am Princess Serena, first daughter of Serenity, ruler of the Moon Kingdom."

A flash of white caught her attention as she slowly rose from her curtsy. Artemis smiled charmingly.

"Well, princess. I think you dropped something."

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a beautiful white flower appeared in his palm, hovering in the air.

"It's enchanted. It'll never wilt," he promised, staring into her eyes as he conveyed a much deeper message.

Hesitantly, Serena placed a gentle hand upon his chest, feeling the soft beat of his heart in wonder. Then, tenderly, his hand came up to cover hers as he leaned down towards her soft, inviting lips. Her eyes shined a bluish purple in the morning sun, so innocent and beautiful, before fluttering closed as his lips neared. As the two came together, the sun made its final ascent into the sky, beaming rays of bright yellow and orange that engulfed the oblivious couple.


THE END... for now

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whew! That took me forever!! Well, please tell me what you think. Sorry, if the tone seems different or if it just seems off with the rest of the story. I haven't added to this in a while. ^_^;; By the way, I was thinking of writing a prequel after this to fill in some gaps, you know, missing info and other stuff that I had wanted to squish into this story (Unfortunately, what you plan is almost never what you get!).

So, REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW!! I'd really like to know if the ending sucked or whatever and whether or not you'd be interested in reading a prequel. Just to let you guys know, it would mainly be about Beryl's true motives and what exactly happened to Serenity and Artemis.

Crystal Rose ^_~