Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Trials ❯ Brilliance of Light ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Crystal Trials - Brilliance of Light

After much time and debate, I have decided to, once again, add to my fanfic. Maybe I was wrong to set a specific amount of chapters to write within in the first place. But this is most certainly not the end. But it's close. It took much longer than I would have liked to write, but between college and work, I had problems finding time to finish it up. Not to mention the fact that I think, somewhere along the line, my muse packed its bags and took a vacation on me. But its back in business now. I pray the next chapter will be the last *grin*. Anyway, about the chapter itself (my longest yet!), I, more or less liked how it came out. There's a lot in this chapter. Not to mention, the truth about Hoshi finally comes out! I know for a fact that at least one of my fans was dying to know who she was...

Main Characters

Meioh Setsuna - Sailorpluto
Tenoh Haruka - Sailoruranus
Tomoe Hotaru - Sailorsaturn
Kaioh Michiru - Sailorneptune
Mizuno Ami - Sailormercury
Hino Rei - Sailormars
Kino Makoto - Sailorjupiter
Aino Minako - Sailorvenus

Also, the word senshi is the equivelant of soldier in english (if you have seen the dub, think scout *shudder*).

Email me (BlueDolphin) with comments/questions/flames/whatever

**************************************

She struggled against waves that threatened to sweep her away. An eternal ocean with fathomless depths. Water as warm as a bath, but left her chilled to the core. Give in...Give up...Give in...Give up... the waves seemed to say as they beat against her shoulders and broke over her head. She fought.

After an eternal battle she thought she would never win, she finally stopped struggling. The waves broke over her head. She sank. Her air ran out. Drowning wasn't so bad; it was rather like wrapping yourself in a feather-soft blanket and closing your eyes and wasn't it wonderful...

Roughly she was jerked awake. She wasn't adrift in an ocean, but surrounded by darkness. Overcome by a sense of déjà vu (...Michiru?...)
(...bruised and cut, nothing more...can you move?...)
(...I think...) she reached upward. She didn't find Haruka above her, or the rough underside of a brick wall, but what felt like the canvas of a tent. Sudden pain shot through her arm as she moved it, and the darkness fuzzed at the edges...

She came awake again minutes or hours or perhaps seconds later. Somebody was moving somewhere closeby. Friend or foe? She remained silent. The movement went away.

She tried shifting her body, but her back brushed against something that sliced her skin open. Unable to bite it back, she cried out. More fuzzy black, but she heard voices before she slipped away.

"...here!"

"Michiru...can...hear me?"

"...die?"

"...won't let her." (...Haruka!...)

*****************************

(...Haruka!...) The cry sliced through the hazy semiconsciousness like a knife. Haruka blinked blearily, but her eyes wouldn't focus. Was that Michiru she had heard? Was she in danger?

Was she even alive?

*****************************

Sailorneptune woke up to a glow. She blinked the gumminess from her eyes and saw that she was lying in a tent. Above her hovered a glowing globe that bathed her in white light. Its intensity made her head ache. Carefully, she tried to move her arm, but the sudden pain as she flexed her arm muscles made her groan through clenched teeth.

"Michiru?" a voice asked from beyond her line of sight. Sailormercury's, Michiru realized. The blue-haired senshi's head appeared, mercifully blocking out part of the light. "Don't move. You're injured."

"What...what happened, Ami?" she asked, trying to think back. "We were talking in the tent...and I don't remember..."

Sailormercury moved away then. "Sailorsaturn attacked the camp," she replied briskly. Sailorneptune heard the sounds of metal on metal. "A bolt struck Haruka's tent behind us. We were all injured, but it took us hours to find you. The blast threw you a good hundred yards away into a tent. The weapons tent. When we found you, you were lying on a pile of swords. It's a wonder you weren't killed. You do have a broken arm, several broken ribs, a severely lacerated back, and a shattered kneecap, however."

"And the others?" Sailorneptune pressed, ignoring this recap of her injuries. The way her body ached and pained at the moment, she wasn't very surprised.

"The rest of our group is fine. Their rapid healing closed their wounds within the course of a day. You and Haruka were the ones closest to the tent and suffered the worst."

"How is Haruka?" Sailorneptune questioned suspiciously. Sailormercury's response didn't come right away, and that told Sailorneptune all she needed to know. "She isn't going to make it, is she?" she asked flatly.

"I don't think so. The bolt jumped to her after it struck the ground. It was weakened, but not enough..." Sailormercury trailed off. A metal cup was placed to Sailorneptune's lips. "Drink this," Sailormercury ordered, tipping the contents into her mouth. "Haruka isn't healing like a senshi should. I don't understand it," she commented absently as she wiped up the little that escaped Sailorneptune's lips. Whatever it was tasted terribly bitter, and worked instantly at dimming Sailorneptune's mind. Her eyes fell shut of their own accord...

She felt worlds better when she woke. Nobody was around, so after she had shaken the last bits of fogginess from her mind, she sat up. Her back ached dully, but not so much that she couldn't stand. Looking around, she saw many empty cots, and a flap leading deeper into the tent. She pushed it aside and ventured in. Haruka lay on the far cot, Sailormercury beside her spoonfeeding her a watery broth. She saw Sailorneptune enter and motioned her closer, after a disapproving frown.

The entire left side of Haruka's chest was badly burned. One leg was positioned awkwardly under the sheet she lay under, broken in several places. Her face was pale, and there was dried blood on her lips, but she still managed to grin sheepishly if a bit weakly at Sailorneptune.

"Eat your broth," Sailormercury said commandingly as Haruka turned toward Sailorneptune. "If I had a proper IV, I wouldn't have to spoonfeed you."

"We didn't have time to raid a hospital, Ami," Haruka replied weakly. "Forgive us for not having the forsight." She tried laughing, but it came out as a painful cough.

"Don't laugh either," Sailormercury went on. "You're likely to laugh yourself into cardiac arrest."

"At least I'd have two beautiful women here to stop that from happening," Haruka replied teasingly. Sailormercury sighed a long-suffering sigh.

"Ami, you're exhausted," Sailorneptune spoke up at last. "I can take over. You need to sleep."

Sailormercury looked about to protest, but reconsidered after seeing something in her eyes. "I'll be in the other room if you need me, Michiru," she said instead, handing over the bowl. "I've got too much to do to fall asleep..."

Sailorneptune accepted it and sat where Sailormercury had. Silently, she resumed feeding the blonde the broth. A minute passed, then another, before Haruka turned her head away. "You have to fight her, Michiru. Stick to the plan, and things will work," the blonde said quietly.

"Then you know," Sailorneptune said, setting aside the bowl. "I'm surprised Ami told you."

"She didn't have to," Haruka said. "Its Destiny. Fate. Call it whatever you want. Setsuna told us about the phenomenon when she was arguing against bringing you here." Haruka stopped, pain flashing briefly across her face. "She died...her words should have been listened to. Multiple senshi cannot exist in the same Time without tragic consequences. The Timestream corrects itself by eliminating the copy, or that's how Setsuna explained it to us."

Sailorneptune hardly dared to breathe. If that was true, then...

Haruka's hand touched hers. "Your Haruka is alive. The Timestream chose me to eliminate. Just as it chose my Michiru and kept you safe. I knew my Michiru was dead when you told your story."

Guilt warred with a rush of hope as Sailorneptune looked away. "I'm sorry." She said quietly. "I understand now why Setsuna was against coming."

"It isn't your fault, not entirely. Sailorsaturn must be stopped."

Sailorneptune paused in the act of reaching for the remains of the broth, her heart skipping a beat. "Sailorsaturn took our Hotaru from us. Does that mean that she...That Hotaru is...?" She couldn't finish.

"Possibly, but not necessarily," Haruka responded after a moment. She seemed to be taking deeper, harsher breaths. "Sailorsaturn has changed into something else entirely. Maybe the Timestream sees them as two different people." A fit of coughing wracked her then, and it was several moments before she regained her breath. She held her side tightly. "Damn her..." Haruka whispered. More coughing. She managed to stifle them at last with a weak attempt at a smile. It looked like a grimace. "Its this...this pain in my chest...makes me feel cold..."

Sailorneptune took Haruka's hand then, conscious of the fact that her own chest felt queerly tight as well. It reminded her of when she had woken up with the same feeling. They had all experienced severe pain as well before and during the attack. What did it all mean?

"Don't...think so hard, Michiru," Haruka said as she saw Sailorneptune's thoughtful face. "The answers will come when they're ready..."

"You know, when I first found out that you weren't my Haruka, I had decided in my mind that you were nothing like her. But now, I'm not so sure," Sailorneptune said, blinking away sudden tears.

"I thought the same of you," Haruka said, her voice almost a whisper. "But we're still the same people. Just from different Times."

Sailorneptune nodded, not trusting her voice. They sat in silence for a time, Haruka's breath coming harder and harder as the time wore on. No words were necessary, save the ones they were both thinking of but reluctant to mention. Nobody entered, and there was no noise from beyond the thin canvas. She was lost in deep thought when she felt Haruka's hand grip hers tightly. "Do you remember Galaxia?" Haruka whispered softly. "Before we died?"

Sailorneptune swallowed, an unexpected vision of Haruka wearing those bracelets from her Trial flashing through her mind. "How could I forget?" she asked.

Haruka's eyes sparkled dimly with a smile that only barely touched her lips. "Did we truly have everything under control, or were we just lucky at the end when we broke free?" she asked.

Sailorneptune laughed softly. "As far as everyone knows, we were in control the entire time."

"You're still warm, Michiru," Haruka said faintly, settling back onto her pillow. "That much hasn't changed." Her eyes closed, but her hand still held Sailorneptune's.

"I love my Haruka, wherever she is," Sailorneptune said softly, not expecting her to hear.

"And I love my Michiru. I'll see her soon." Haruka's hand relaxed from Sailorneptune's, but she still breathed faintly. Sailorneptune knew what Haruka wanted. She retrieved the bowl of broth and quietly left, remembering one of the many promises they had made to each other so long ago. Briefly, she wondered if these promises were made on Earth or somewhere in the distant past, but then decided it didn't really matter. It seemed that this Time's Michiru had promised this Time's Haruka to not watch the other die as well. Something as simple as this was oddly comforting to her.

In the first room, she was startled to see Naoto standing there. Ami was gone. "How is she?" he asked her as she entered.

"Dying. But you knew that," Sailorneptune said tiredly. The refugees were either dead or scattered. Haruka was dying. The world was dying. Sailorsaturn ruled supreme, the senshi of Death. Where did they go from here?

"I did," he agreed tonelessly. "I follow you now."

Startled, she asked curiously, "Why? Surely the people need someone to lead them..."

"They're gone. Had they stuck around, they might have had a chance. Besides, we have to stick to the plan."

Sailorneptune stared at Naoto silently, judging him as best she could. "We leave tomorrow. No matter what," she responded at last. "I have to see to the others." She left the tent of Death and stood underneath the sky of Death, all churning blackness. Her back ached, her knee protested, and despite the fact that she had just been told that her Haruka was alive, her mood was somber. Was this all futile?

She looked around and saw nobody at first. But, as she looked closer, she saw vague figures poised motionless just inside the treeline, no doubt guarding the tent. The only tent. There was nobody around save them.

She approached the nearest figure, and saw it was Sailorvenus. The blonde had her hair pulled back absently, and she peered restlessly into the woods beyond. "Minako, where-?" Sailorneptune started, breaking off when Sailorvenus wheeled and brought her hands up.

"Crescent-!" she started, clamping her mouth shut over the rest of her attack. "Michiru...oh...I-I'm sorry...you caught me by surprise..." She brought her hands down and clenched them together. "I can't believe I almost attacked you," she said lowly.

"It's alright, Minako," Sailorneptune said awkwardly. "An honest mistake. Where's Setsuna?"

"On the other side somewhere. She and Hoshi are on the far side," Sailorvenus replied, sounding subdued. She returned her eyes to the forest. Sailorneptune moved away, feeling oddly saddened at how jumpy everyone had become.

She had difficulty locating Sailorpluto, but eventually she found her crouched beside some low bushes. Mindful of Sailorvenus' reaction, Sailorneptune made noise as she approached. Sailorpluto glanced at her, then returned her attention deep into the woods. "You're alright, Michiru?" she asked.

"Yes...but Haruka..." She trailed off. "She told me about why we shouldn't be here."

Sailorpluto was silent, her eyes searching the gloom. "Haruka is dying then?" she asked softly. Sailorneptune nodded, not trusting her voice to talk. "I'm sorry you had to find out like that, Michiru. It isn't your fault the other Sailorneptune died and you lived."

"You knew?"

"I suspected."

They fell silent. "We go tomorrow. Ready or not," Sailorneptune said at last.

"It will be more difficult now, if not impossible," Hoshi's voice spoke up abruptly from beside them. "Sailorsaturn has more control over the ginzuishou than I thought."

"That was what we felt during the attack, wasn't it?" Sailorpluto asked. "Queen Selenity spoke of the bond between us and the ginzuishou often."

A queer look flashed across Hoshi's face and was gone so quickly that they doubted it was ever there. "Yes. That's why. Had Sailorsaturn used much more power, we would have died."

"Get some sleep, Hoshi. Setsuna, if you wish, you can sleep as well," Sailorneptune said before either of them could talk anymore on the subject. It really didn't matter that they had almost died. What mattered was that they were ready for tomorrow.

"For a bit, perhaps," Sailorpluto acknowledged reluctantly. Hoshi was already moving away. "But not for too long."

Sailorneptune followed the pair to the main tent, and remained outside while the other senshi on guard wearily trailed in as well. She built a small fire outside and stared into the flames moodily, entertaining dark thoughts. When Ami emerged an unknown amount of time later to tell her that Haruka was dead, she didn't stir. Ami left her alone.

*****************************

"Split up?" Sailormars asked incredulously. "We have to stick together! We're doomed otherwise!" The others looked like they agreed with the raven-haired senshi.

Sailorneptune had expected this. In measured tones, she explained the reasoning that had taken her half the night to organize in her mind. She had swallowed her pride and gone to Hoshi who reluctantly provided what answers she could.

Haruka's plan would still stand; they would enter the palace through the front. But then, she would lead Sailormars and Sailorjupiter to find Sailorsaturn while Sailorpluto would lead Sailormercury, Sailorvenus, and Hoshi to find the ginzuishou. They must keep the two apart as long as possible. Haruka had not taken into account Sailorsaturn's control over the ginzuishou, and that was why the plan had to be changed.

There was silence as the gathered group digested this plan. Sailormercury especially looked thoughtful, and kept shooting Hoshi calculating glances. Her visor was out, and she was obviously studying something about the redhead.

"But wouldn't that be impossible?" Sailorjupiter spoke up. "I mean, she'll know we're there the instant we come even remotely close to the city, and she'll be sure to be near the ginzuishou. Then it's all over."

"We'll have to take that chance," Sailorneptune replied grimly. "There are no alternatives."

"I wish to remain behind," Hoshi interjected quietly.

Incredulous silence greeted this statement. "What?" Sailorvenus burst out at last. "You come all this way, bring us with you, almost get us killed,a nd now you want to stay behind?!" Sailorvenus was almost yelling, and would have said more if not for Sailormars' hand on her arm and reproachful look.

"Why?" Sailormercury asked curiously, her eyes studying Hoshi intently.

Hoshi shrugged off the question. "I have my reasons," she replied curtly.

Sailorneptune laughed quietly. "Coward..." she said lowly. "Are you afraid to die, Princess Hoshi?" Red eyes fixed on her own, and suddenly Sailorneptune felt another's mind within her own. (...I must stay behind...)
(...you're a coward!...)
(...please, Michiru...trust me...I have a plan...)
(...why should I?...)
(...just do it, else you're all doomed...do you place your pride above the lives of your friends?...) Contact was broken, and Sailorneptune blinked her eyes rapidly. Hoshi was looking at her with irritation mixed with hot anger, but remained silent as she awaited a response.

"Very well," she spat, the words bitter in her mouth. "You may remain behind. But I'll make it clear that I despise cowards." Hoshi regarded her cooly, but said nothing, aside from a brief nod of acknowledgement. Nobody looked very happy with the plan, or with Hoshi. Reproachful looks were shot between the senshi and Hoshi, and they broke off into small groups to talk.

Sailorneptune let them prepare themselves while her eyes wandered the landscape. Just visible on the horizon were the gruesome remains of the palace, pulsing a weak silver. They were taking a gamble at stopping this close, because they weren't sure what Sailorsaturn was capable of. She was prepared to die; dying didn't scare her. Dying alone scared her.

She turned back and noticed that Hoshi had drawn Sailorpluto aside and was talking urgently with her. The keeper of Time was listening thoughtfully, but without emotion. Finally, she nodded once and turned away from the redhead. Sailormercury, Sailormars, Sailorjupiter, and Sailorvenus were all talking together as well. Sailorjupiter laughed once, her voice sounding slightly strained. The others smiled. They were in high spirits, but Sailorneptune knew they were afraid, and for good reason. They were about to fight one of their own.

Looking beyond the group of senshi, she could just barely see Naoto's receeding form. It had taken a heated argument to get him to not accompany them into what remained of Crystal Tokyo, but eventually Sailorneptune had worn him down. She had ordered him to recover whoever remained of the refugees, had reminded them that they came first. Their mission would pit senshi against senshi. It wasn't someplace for him to be.

"Let's go," she said shortly. She started jogging, and the others followed. Hoshi settled herself on the ground to wait.

The heads were there in all their gruesome glory. Time had started taking its toll on some of them, exposing the grey-white skulls beneath the sagging skin. Sailorneptune walked resolutely ahead of them all, looking neither right nor left. She heard muffled gagging occasionally from behind her, but she never slowed.

They passed through the remains of the gate leading into the city and past the heads of the senshi and Helios. Their heads were untouched and pristine, as if they had just been added. Beside the gate, she saw a new addition and faltered for the first time. Her own head. She felt a sudden sharp pang of guilt at the loss of this Time's Sailorneptune at her expense. Mercifully, her feet carried her on, though her mind was on the heads. There was something not right about them, something missing...

They passed swiftly through the city. Several times Sailorneptune thought she caught movement out of the corner of her eyes, but saw nothing when she looked herself. They were not alone in the city, but were its inhabitants friend or foe?

*****************************

"Sister, would you like to do something for me?" Sailorsaturn asked of the girl crouched at her feet while she herself stared with interest into the Aqua Mirror in her hand. She never knew Sailorneptune's scrying instrument could be so useful. "We have visitors."

Hotaru looked up from the small, fuel-less fire she was patiently building on the floor, Sailormars' tiara clutched tightly in one hand. "Really?" she questioned, not noticing the fire before her vanishing at the loss of her concentration. "May I go greet them?"

Sailorsaturn motioned Hotaru closer and held the Aqua Mirror out for her to see. "You may do more than greet them. But if you fight them, have a care. You are outnumbered." She waited for Hotaru's reaction.

"But they know me," she commented. "I can feel that. Would they fight me?"

"I don't know. Possibly," Sailorsaturn replied glibely. "You may take along protection, if you wish."

Hotaru's eyes suddenly turned shrewd. "The ginzuishou?" she asked innocently.

"No," Sailorsaturn replied sharply. "The ginzuishou is mine to use." She gestured and seven tiaras appeared in midair. "Take one of these, if you wish."

A brief look of irritation flashed over the young girl's face, but then she shrugged with unconcern. "Alright." She studied the tiaras, and selected Sailorpluto's after a moment. She turned and swiftly departed from the room, Sailorsaturn watching her go with a vague sense of unease. Why had she asked for the ginzuishou?

*****************************

They rounded a corner, the last before they reached the palace. Sailorneptune heard her fellow senshi breathing harshly behind her, and she slowed reluctantly. A few moments' rest. That was it.

The others sensed her decision and stopped to catch their breath while Sailorneptune paced restlessly from one side of the street to the other. The broken palace loomed large over them, ghastlier than ever. It leaned in their direction, leaned so much that it looked like it could fall and bury them at any moment.

Sailorneptune felt uneasy, restless, and worried. Something was building. Their plans were going to go awry somehow, and was she prepared to have her friends die under her leadership and following her orders? She was absolutely certain Haruka was inside, and Hotaru would hopefully be with her. She only hoped they were in a position where they could rescue them both alive, and well.

"Michiru." A hand on her arm nearly made Sailorneptune leap out of her skin, but it was Sailorvenus who looked at her urgently.

"What is it, Minako?" Sailorneptune asked, resisting the strong urge to shrug the hand off.

"To tell you to relax." The blonde smiled a weak parody of her usual sparkling smile. "I'll be the first to admit that I'm not prepared for what will happen, but that doesn't mean I can't adapt. We must succeed, or this Sailorsaturn will win over everything. We will follow you." Sailorvenus seemed a bit embarassed after this short monologue, but nevertheless continued to smile.

"What about what our Queen would want?" Sailorneptune asked quietly. "I know sometimes our priorities differ from each other, but we must be together on this."

Sailorvenus' face looked anguished, and it was several moments before she responded, "We will try to see Usagi's will upheld but...if there truly is no other way, then there is no other way."

"We might not all get out of this," Sailorneptuen went on relentlessly. "Will you go on if others don't?"

Sailorvenus nodded. "We have to try to stop her." She seemed more sure about dying than going against Queen Serenity's will.

"Minako, I know the other inners look to you for guidance. Will you follow me?"

"Yes."

Sailorneptune let her stern manner slide then, and she smiled at Sailorvenus. "Thank you," she said.

"Anytime, Michiru," Sailorvenus replied, flashing her victory sign. "If I run across Haruka, I promise I'll rescue her for you." She walked away then, and drew the other inners aside. Sailorvenus talked urgently with them.

Sailorneptune felt those unseen eyes on her again, and she wheeled to face the buildings. She examined the blank windows searchingly, swearing she saw movement. She dismissed a wild idea of charging in and looking around.

"Relax, Michiru," Sailorpluto said, coming to stand beside her. "Keep your mind on what is to come."

"Someone is waching us," she replied. "It's getting on my nerves."

"I don't sense immediate evil."

"Just because it isn't evil doesn't mean it isn't a threat," Sailorneptune said grimly. "What were you and Hoshi discussing?" She couldn't help but ask.

Sailorpluto's face tightened. "It doesn't matter, Michiru," she replied stiffly. Having said that, she turned and stalked back. Sailorneptune watched her go impassively.

"Rest over," she called, starting to jog again. The others matched her step. They had only taken a few steps before Sailorpluto stumbled abruptly, nearly falling. Sailorneptune saw with some trepidation that she was clutching her chest. "Setsuna?" she asked, half-supporting the green-haired senshi. Sailorpluto shuddered, but didn't answer.

"Michiru..." Sailormars said softly. "Look."

Sailorneptune looked up and towadrs the palace. The dim glow from the palace overhead illuminated the street with murky light, revealing a figure walking towards them. She recognized at once the short dark hair and diminutive frame. "Hotaru?" she questioned softly.

Sailormercury studied her as she drew even closer, saying, "She's not transformed, yet she's wearing a tiara. It looks like Sailorpluto's."

They all looked startled. Sailorneptune's mind whirled. An artifact from the Sailorpluto of this Time close to the Sailorpluto of her Time was making her sick. The only way Hotaru could have gotten her hands on the tiara of a dead senshi was if she were aligned with this Time's Sailorsaturn. Therefore, their Hotaru was corrupted. She half-expected to see glittering bracelets on her wrists, the markings of Chaos. "She's evil," Sailorneptune said to the others as Hotaru stopped.

"Why are you here?" Hotaru demanded in a clear, cool voice. "You are not welcome."

A sudden gust of wind brought the smell of rotting death mixed with the faint ozone smell of the air after a storm. An image of the charred Haruka lying in that tent rose in her mind and made her sick. "Hotaru, it's me," Sailorneptune said around the lump that had risen in her throat. "Michiru-mama." She couldn't fight Hotaru.

"My sister said you were the enemy," Hotaru responded. "if you go any further, I will kill you." There was a bright flash of purple, and Hotaru was holding an exact copy of Sailorpluto's staff.

"You're killing her!" Sailorvenus burst out as Sailorpluto sagged to the ground. "Stop!"

Hotaru smiled a chilling smile. "Stop me, then." She lept into the air, staff held over her head as she flew at Sailorvenus.

"Crescent beam!" Sailorvenus cried, bringing her left hand up. A pencil-thin beam of light shot out from her pointed finger and clipped Hotaru's hand. Hotaru cried out, but kept hold of the staff.

"Shabon spray!" A cloud of dense mist rolled in as Sailorvenus scrambled aside just before Hotaru crashed back to the ground, the staff slamming where the blonde had been standing. Sailormercury's fog hid them from Hotaru, but it also hid Hotaru from them, as well as each other. They dared not speak.

"You think that'll stop me?" Hotaru asked with a half-laugh. She sounded closer than before, but her voice echoed against the buildings on either side of them and made it impossible to determine its direction. "Dead scream..." A purple light lit the fog as Sailorneptune braced herself to leap aside. At her feet, Sailorpluto groaned again. The sphere of energy came hurtling out of the fog inches from Sailorneptune, but she screamed anyway. She hoped she sounded convincing.

Sure enough, Hotaru leaped savagely from the fog, expecting to see Sailorneptune wounded and easy prey. Instead, Sailorneptune was on her in an instnat, punching and kicking as she evaded the ineffective swipes of the staff from its inexperienced wielder. Sailorneptune dropped under a wide swing and swept her leg under Hotaru, causing the girl to trip and land on her back. The staff skittered away and vanished in the fog. Sailorneptune quickly flipped her over and caught her in a headlock. "Fooled you," she said.

"Let me go!" Hotaru shrieked wildly, thrashing in her arms. Sailorneptune answered by tightening her grip. "You will pay for this," Hotaru said furiously. She went suddenly slack in Sailorneptune's arms and started whispering. Sailorneptune heard one word spoken and her blood turned to ice. Chronos. Hotaru was preparing to stop Time itself and, most probably, kill them. And she could do nothing. She tightened her grip on the girl, entertaining a desperate thought to restrain Hotaru as much as she could so she couldn't move once Time stopped.

"Time..." Hotaru whispered, the word sounded dragged out as things seemed to grow sluggish to Sailorneptune. Her heart beat once, and it was several moments before she heard it beat again. She found it hard to move.

A piercing scream from Hotaru shattered the spell before it finished. The girl shrieked and writhed in Sailorneptune's arms, her hands straining against Sailorneptune to clutch her head. Just as Hotaru's screams grew hysterical, she abruptly vanished.

Sailorneptune sat back on her heels and wondered what had just happened. The last tendrils of fog vanished just as quickly as it had come, revealing the other unharmed senshi. "We heard you scream, Michiru," Sailorjupiter said as they ran up. "Are you alright? Where's Hotaru?"

"She vanished. I'm fine," Sailorneptune replied absently. Sailorpluto stirred then, scattering Sailorneptune's further thoughts. She blinked a moment and sat up, looking fairly well.

"Are you alright now," Sailorpluto replied. "What happened to Hotaru?" She listened intently as Sailorneptune explained, looking grave as she finished. "Hotaru couldn't control the power of Time, I think. Sailorsaturn rescued her, more than likely."

"How could she use your power, Setsuna?" Sailorvenus asked, looking disturbed.

"The tiara. No doubt Sailorsaturn has possession of the other tiaras as well," Sailorpluto replied grimly, standing up. "As well as the ginzuishou. We must be prepared for anything."

There was an uncomfortable silence as the other inner senshi digested this information, until Sailorneptune said, "Let's keep going even though she knows we're here. I made a promise to Haruka." Having said that, she started walking resolutely toward the palace.

"Which Haruka?" Sailormars asked herself softly.

Sailorpluto heard. "Both."

*****************************

The ease of which they entered the palace disturbed them. Silently, and with no resistance, they slipped through the tall, arched doorway leading inside. They paused then. "Stick with the original plan," Sailorneptune said quietly. "Rei, Makoto, you will come with me to distract Sailorsaturn. Setsuna, Ami, and Minako will go for the ginzuishou."

"What if Sailorsaturn already has the ginzuishou with her?" Sailorjupiter asked.

"I don't think she does," Sailorneptune replied. "I think she's busy with Hotaru after her fit. Besides, I don't feel any pain."

They looked moderately reassured. Grimly, they looked at each other as Sailorpluto said, "Good luck. I pray we'll make it out together."

Sailorneptune nodded, biting back the words of not wishing for too much as she led Sailormars and Sailorjupiter down the hallway at a dead run. Sailorpluto likewise started in the opposite direction. Nobody looked back.

*****************************

"I don't know where the ginzuishou is, Setsuna," Ami spoke up after they had been jogging down hallways picked at random for long minutes. "There's too much interference."

"I feared as much," Sailorpluto responded. She made herself keep running, but turned her mind inward. (...Hoshi?...)
(...yes?...)
(...where's the crystal room?...)
(...listen carefully...)

*****************************

They burst into the throne room without fanfare or preamble. Sailormars and Sailorjupiter came to an abrupt halt just behind Sailorneptune, and they all looked uncertainly about.

The throne room was dark, a deep, penetrating dark that allowed nothing to be revealed. They could just barely glimpse each other in the dim light that spilled in from the open door, but the light didn't penetrate far. Sailorneptune strained her ears, but couldn't hear anything. "Sailorsaturn!" Sailorneptune shouted challengingly, taking a few steps in. She had a brief thought about the darkness being alive and slowly smothering her...

A soft gasp rewarded Sailorneptune's challenge, and chased away her wild thoughts. It didn't sound like Sailorsaturn.

"Who's there?" Sailorjupiter demanded on Sailorneptune's left. The aqua-haired senshi turned her head, but only could glimpse a vague impression of Sailorjupiter standing there.. The darkness grew even more intense the further they plunged.

Soft sobs from somewhere ahead. "Go away," a shuddering voice said. "Go-go away. You're dead..."

When she spoke, they knew instantly who was in the darkness. "Queen Usagi..." Sailormars murmered. "Chibi-usa."

"Touch my arms and walk with me," Sailorneptune said lowly. She felt two hands on her arms, and began to walk slowly forward towards the soft sobbing that had resumed. "Queen Usagi...we were sent here by your daughter. Do you remember Hoshi?"

The sobs abruptly stopped. "Hoshi...? Hoshi...she's dead...I sent her so long ago...she's dead...SHE'S DEAD!" Queen Usagi screamed. Sailorneptune swiftly moved toward the screaming, doing her best to ignore the hysterical ring in the distraught woman's voice.

"We come from the past, Usagi. Sailorsaturn followed Hoshi back and attacked her. She was stranded in our time until we awakened after our world was ready," Sailorneptune said as soothingly as she could. "You summoned us."

Sailorneptune's foot nudged something yielding, and she crouched down. Queen Usagi was silent. "Is...is this true...? I'm afraid to believe..."

"Michiru..." Sailorjupiter murmered from closeby. "We aren't alone."

Sailorneptune ignored this fact; she had figured as much. "Yes, its true. Believe us." She reached a hand out and felt for the distraught woman's hand, but the queen recoiled from her touch.

Just then, Michiru heard the scuttling of someone swiftly approaching them from behind. Sailorneptune lunged away with a warning yell to the other two senshi, but the darkness prevented her from seeing if they escaped.

"Sailorsaturn!" she heard Sailorjupiter growl angrily, and Sailorneptune cursed the senshi of Lightning for not keeping silent. There was a bought of odd-sounding laughter somewhere back where Sailorneptune had left Queen Usagi.

"Supreme...Thu-" Sailorneptune heard Sailorjupiter begin, and there was a brief flash of light that allowed Sailorneptune to glimpse the situation. But the attack ended abruptly in a gurgle. Sailorneptune closed her eyes, reliving the scene she had glimpsed from the flash of light. Just before the attack had abruptly died, Sailornpetune had seen their Hotaru poised with her glaive raised, ready to strike at Sailorjupiter.

*****************************

"Here," Sailorpluto said shortly, veering off through a low archway. Sailormercury and Sailorvenus were only steps behind. They paused within a large circular room, warily studying the scene before they would allow themselves to be elated. Only feet ahead, in the center of the room, was the ginzuishou. On one wall, hanging limply, was Haruka. Nobody appeared to be present.

Sailorvenus broke away and swiftly moved over to where Haruka hung. "Haruka?" she asked, peering at the blonde's face. "Wake up!" When the blonde still didn't stir, she stepped back grimly. "Crescent beam!" she shouted, skillfully aiming the beam of energy so that it neatly sliced the shackles around her ankles. Another beam and her wrists were free, sending the blonde tumbling to the ground.

Sailorpluto approached the pedastal warily while Sailorvenus was occupied with rousing Haruka. The more she stared at the ginzuishou, the more unnerved she felt. The greasy red light it pulsed at steady intervals was a far cry from the purified light that Serenity could coax from within it. What had Sailorsaturn done to it?

She was just preparing to relay that they had found the ginzuishou to Hoshi when a cry in her mind made her stumble. (...Setsuna!...)
(...Michiru?...)
(...Hotaru attacked us...she knows you're there...)
(...and Sailorsaturn?...)
(...don't know...be careful...not doing very well here, but we'll hold her as best we can...hurry...) She was gone then, leaving Sailorpluto anxious and uneasy. Something was wrong. She looked around at the scene again, but saw nothing different than before.

"What's wrong, Setsuna?" Sailorvenus asked, standing up and looking at Sailorpluto in some concern.

Sailorpluto shook her head dismissively and returned to examining the ginzuishou. On her side, Sailormercury said in a hushed voice, "What's wrong with it?"

"I don't know," Sailorpluto said shortly. She turned her mind inward. (...Hoshi?...)
(...did you find it?...)
(...yes...what did you want us to do?...)
(...i feel someone here...someone's listening...)
(...hurry! what did you want us to--...) Sailorpluto clutched her head as she felt something sever the connection. Sailorsaturn knew they were there now. They had no time to waste. A hand shot out for the ginzuishou, but just then, a voice behind them made her freeze.

*****************************

The three of them raced through the halls, striving to keep their quarry in sight. Sailorneptune knew they were slowing, however, and fought to keep the grey mist in her mind at bay as she ran on.

The only one of them that was uninjured was Sailormars. Sailorneptune had found Sailorjupiter on their way out, not dead, but the glaive wound that pierced her shoulder was making her dizzy from bloodloss. And then there was herself.

As soon as she feared Sailorjupiter dead, she ran at where she had last seen Hotaru, hoping to catch the girl off-guard. She made the mistake of stopping. She cursed herself for this mistake. Queen Usagi had been right by her feet, and she had knelt down to check the woman's condition. Finding she was unconscious, she was just straightening when she had heard muffled giggles behind her. She had wheeled in alarm and, instead of retreating quietly away, she had stood her ground. Hotaru must have been standing in front of her this entire time, for Sailorneptune heard the swish of the girl's glaive as it descended. Pure reflexes saved her life, for as she reeled backwards, the tip of the glaive had sliced its way down the left side of her face and across her left eye. Had she been any further forward, she would have lost her life.

As it was, however, the pain had almost caused her to lose consciousness right there and then. It was Sailormars who saved her, a well-placed arrow of fire slamming into Hotaru just as the girl was bringing her glaive back to strike again. Snarling in rage, Hotaru had run off into the darkness in the direction of the arrow while Sailorneptune was left to recover her senses. She had peered blearily through her good eye, forcing herself to focus. There had been sounds of struggle off to her left, and she had heard Sailormars shout angrily. It had occurred to Sailorneptune then that the girl had no problems seeing them, while they couldn't see her. She had struggled to her feet, and found her Aqua Mirror in her hand. This darkness was magical; that was the only explanation. Somehow, Hotaru had conjured a darkness that obscured their eyes only.

"Dispel this darkness!" she had managed, realizing that the Aqua Mirror was in her hand. She had felt it grow warm in her hand. "Submarine Reflection!"

Shimmering teal light had poured from the reflective surface and spread out before her. Where the light touched, the darkness had melted and revealed bits of the throne room. Slowly, Sailorneptune had turned with the mirror until all of the throne room had been bathed in the dispelling rays of light. She had dropped her suddenly-heavy arm as she finished, the Aqua Mirror vanishing just as soon as she did, and sized up the scene before her.

Hotaru had stopped in the middle of swinging her glaive at an unharmed Sailormars and was staring at Sailorneptune in consternation mixed with anger. Sailormars was unharmed, and used this momentary distraction to retreat a safe distance away from the girl. Sailorjupiter was lying on the ground not far from where Sailorneptune stood, her left shoulder drenched in blood, but her face still held color.

Hotaru had lowered her glaive then, and had smiled an unpleasant smile. "Kill me," she had said, looking directly at Sailorneptune. She threw her glaive aside. "If you can, kill me. I won't fight back."

Jarring pain brought Sailorneptune away from her reminiscence. Her wound on her face had reopened, and blood was running down her face. Gingerly, she wiped at her face with one of her gloves, but the sharp pain made her stop. She felt her head swim, and the corridor she ran down with Sailormars and Sailorjupiter wavered before her eyes. Stumbling, she nearly fell. She could go no further; she had lost too much blood for that.

"Rei," she panted, catching herself again as she stumbled. "Take Makoto and go. Don't wait. I'll be fine. Ahead, Sailorneptune saw from her good eye Hotaru darting around a corner. "You two can still keep up."

Sailormars gave her a quick glance, looking in some alarm at the state of her face. "How will you follow, Michiru?" she asked, again facing forward so as not to lose sight of where they headed. She led the way around the corner Hotaru had dodged around.

Sailorneptune considered telling the raven-haired senshi that she wasn't entirely sure she would be following, but changed her mind at the last minute. "Nevermind that. Go," she said instead, jogging to a halt. She forced them to make a decision; pursue Hotaru and leave her behind, or assist her and lose their last hope at finding their way through the maze of corridors.

Sailorjupiter started to slow as well, but Sailormars said sharply, "Listen to her, Makoto." The words sounded painful for her to say. Sailorneptune knew that Sailormars was aware of her worsening condition and knew what it was Sailorneptune was going to say. Sailorjupiter cast a last look back, then matched Sailormars' faster pace as she cradled her injured shoulder. They were soon out of sight.

Sailorneptune attempted to continue down the hallway, but she felt her knees buckle under her. Crying out, she pitched forward and fell. Her shaky arms pushed herself back up, so that she was sitting upright with her back against the wall. She briefly thought about standing up and continuing on, but her tired mind wouldn't let her. She soon found herself drifting away, and her dreams were of what had just occurred... "Kill me. If you can, kill me. I won't fight back."

She clenched her fists. The girl stood not twenty feet from her, arms at her side, and looking at her with a mocking smile that angered her. Still, she couldn't force herself to take a step. This was still Hotaru. She closed her eyes.

Haruka was on her mind. They were in the kitchen of their home in Tokyo with Setsuna. Right after she told Haruka what was happening to Hotaru back before their world ended. Haruka was looking at her meaningfully, reminding her of their pledge to kill Hotaru if she should turn on them with only a look. But she couldn't. She didn't agree back then, and she didn't agree now. She couldn't kill Hotaru. Not after she had a hand in raising her. Hotaru was the child she knew she would never have.

She opened her eyes again. "Rei..." she whispered to Sailormars beside her. She hated to look weak, but she couldn't do it. She clenched her fists at her side, attempting to wrest control of her body away from her stricken mind and attack the girl. "I can't..." Painfully, she waited for Sailormars to do what she herself couldn't do. The flame never came. Sailormars hadn't taken a step forward. Confused, she turned her head to look at Sailormars.

Sailormars had her head averted and bowed. "Serenity wanted us to help her..." she said lowly. "Minako told us of her vow to you, but I can't just turn my back on what Serenity wanted...I'm sorry Michiru, but I can't..."

Hotaru laughed a self-satisfied laugh. "I knew you couldn't do it. I know you know me somehow. But whoever you knew me as, I'm not her anymore." She sauntered casually over to where her glaive had been carelessly discarded and picked it up again. "And I shall kill you now." She thrust her hand into the air. "Guardian Saturn, give me the power! Saturn Planet Power, MAKE UP!"

Darkness blinded their eyes once again, but it vanished just as quickly as it had come as Hotaru finished transforming. Now she was Sailorsaturn, wearing a copy of the same fuku as the Sailorsaturn they had come to kill wore. With a triumphant glint in her eye, she leveled he glaive at them. "Silence Glaive..." she called, raising the weapon by its haft and holding it upraised above her.

She tensed, just preparing to leap aside, when the unexpected happened. "MICHIRU!" The scream came from Sailorsaturn's throat, but it was in the voice of the Hotaru she remembered. The hands holding the glaive trembled. "MICHIRU! STOP HER! STOP ME!" The scream came again.

Thrown by this unexpected turn of events, Sailorneptune was frozen in place. "Hotaru! Break free!" Sailormars called at her side. "Please, break free!"

Sailorsaturn's hands trembled even more. "I CAN'T...STOP ME BEFORE I-"

Hotaru's old voice was cut off. Sailorsaturn's hand tightened around the weapon as the silver blade glowed purple with contained power. "Get out of my head!" Sailorsaturn growled. The weapon swung downward. "SURP-"

Again Sailorsaturn was cut off. "Jupiter Oak EVOLUTION!" A barrage of lightning enveloped Sailorsaturn and broke the spell. Sailorsaturn screamed in pain and, as the attack faded, braced herself on her glaive. Sailorjupiter came to stand at her left, trying not to wince at the pain in her pierced shoulder.

Seeing the odds rapidly swinging against her, Sailorsaturn turned and ran. She had started to pursue when Sailormars abruptly said, "What about Queen Usagi?"

She had forgotten about the stricken queen and paused briefly to look. The queen was crumpled on the floor and breathing shallowly, her face pale and drawn in terror, her eyes closed. She turned away. "There's nothing we can do. We'll come back," she said. She started running. The others followed. In the hallway, Sailorneptune's body propped up against the wall sagged to the floor.

*****************************

"Stop," an amused voice said behind them. Sailorpluto whirled to face Sailorsaturn and found herself unable to move. From the corner of her eye she saw Sailorvenus frozen at Haruka's side as well. "I've been waiting for you," she continued, striding forward into the room. "So glad you didn't disappoint me." Her eyes roamed the room and she frowned slightly. Where are the others?" she asked of Sailorpluto. As an afterthought she added, "You may speak."

Sailorpluto found that she could indeed speak. "Far away from here," she spat, glaring at Sailorsaturn.

Three quick strides and Sailorsaturn was within arm's reach. Sailorpluto's ears rang from the resounding slap across her face. "You lie," Sailorsaturn commented, sounding extremely amused with Sailorpluto. "Where are they?"

Sailorpluto remained silent. Sailorsaturn smiled ferally, pleased with this resistance. "You will tell me eventually, I think. I have broken senshi before."

"You want our tiaras. Why not just take them from us now?" Sailorpluto asked challengingly.

Sailorsaturn looked at Sailorpluto carefully, judging how much she knew. "I cannot take them. They must be given willingly," she replied. She looked beyond Sailorpluto. "What is it, Minako? I sense you have something to say."

Sailorpluto found her own mouth freeze up as Sailorvenus began speaking, "Who are you, Sailorsaturn? You're not Hotaru! You can't be!"

Sailorsaturn looked taken aback, as if this were the last thing she expected to be asked by the blonde. "You don't know? You haven't figured it out?" she asked in bewilderment. She laughed in genuine amusement and strode over to where Sailorvenus was frozen. Kneeling so that she was face to face with her, she began speaking in low tones. Sailorpluto, straining her ears, was just able to overhear.

"Chaos..." Sailorsaturn hissed. "I am Chaos come again. And this time, nothing will stop me. This body is perfect for my designs! You claim that Sailorsaturn would never do this, yet it was because of her weaknesses that I was able to take control."

"Chaos..." Sailorvenus whispered in horrified shock before she managed to control her tone. "Usagi defeated Galaxia. She won against Chaos."

Sailorsaturn alughed. "Fool. You can't win over Chaos! True, I was banished for a time, but I have returned eager for revenge! Where is Usagi? Where is your saviour now?" She stood up and walked away from Sailorvenus, still talking.

"Galaxia almost had you. My best attempt at ruling the galaxy was through her. I had even won over Usagi! But then I felt power flow into her, a power that was everything that mine wasn't! I knew not who it was or where it came from at the time, but it was this power that won. Now I know. And I won't let it win over me again!"

"Sailorcosmos," Sailorpluto stated flatly as Sailorsaturn looked her way and allowed her to speak. "That was who defeated you."

Dark anger settled on Sailorsaturn's face. "Yes. The anti-thesis to Chaos. Law. Twice, she has thwarted me. But not htis time. I am stronger now than I ever have!"

"Twice?" Sailorpluto asked, delaying her as much as she could. From the corner of her eye, she saw Haruka twitch.

Sailorsaturn looked amused. "Yes. Don't you remember what happened to your Kingdoms? That was done by my hand."

"Metallia...? You were her?" Sailorpluto asked in surprise. "So you were all of our enemies, then. In truth, we fought the same enemy this entire time."

Sailorsaturn turned away, clasping her hands behind her back. "Not all, but most. Wiseman. Pharoh 90. Queen Nehelenia. Metallia was the most successful back then. She managed to destroy all of the kingdoms, including the one on the Moon. But that power was there too and chased her away until much later," she said broodingly.

"Who--?" Sailorpluto started, but her mouth seized up as Sailorsaturn whipped around to face the door.

Hotaru came charging through the door. "Chased...behind me..." she gasped, using her glaive to keep on her feet.

Sailorsaturn looked at Hotaru in some pity. "You were an excellent pawn, Hotaru. But your usefulness had wonr off. I and I alone will be ruler."

Hotaru straightened, shoulders still heaving as she fought for breath. "What do you mean?" she asked, sounding fearful. "You're my sister."

"Only in name. I am not your sister," Sailorsaturn replied patiently. Suddenly, Sailorsaturn brought her hand back and swung at Hotaru, but the girl reacted quickly. She leapt back away from Sailorsaturn's swing, landing within reach of the ginzuishou.

"What do you mean?" Hotaru asked lowly. "Tell me what you mean." Fear was gone, replaced by anger and determination.

Sailorsaturn looked momentarily taken aback. Clearly she had expected the girl to be distraught or hysterical. "You're no better than they are," she said with a half-laugh. Her eyes watched the girl warily.

"She means, Hotaru, that she's been tricking you this entire time," a voice spoke up from the doorway. Sailormars was there with Sailorjupiter. "You're our friend, Hotaru. You're our Sailorsaturn."

Hotaru's face was blank, her eyes regarding the lot of them suspiciously. Finally her eyes settled on Sailorsaturn. "I don't know who to believe," she said almost conversationally. "I don't know who to believe, but I want what you would never give me." Her hand darted out for the ginzuishou, but Sailorsaturn was too quick.

With a gesture, the girl was frozen. Seeing this, Sailormars was quick to react. "Mars Flame SNIPER!" An arrow of flame arced out and caught Sailorsaturn in the middle of turning. She stumbled, but snarled and whipped around to face the pair.

"Sparkling Wide PRESSURE!" Sailorjupiter called, ignoring the pain in her shoulder as she flung a ball of lightning at Sailorsaturn. This time, however, the evil senshi was ready.

"Silent WALL!" she countered. The lightning bounced off harmlessly. The pair of senshi started to dodge aside, but Sailorsaturn had them caught in a matter of moments. As one, Sailormars and Sailorjupiter rose into the air, their hands clutching their throats and their mouthes trying to take in air. "You dare attack me?" Sailorsaturn hissed. Sailorjupiter was flung across the room where she impacted the crystal wall and crumpled to the floor. "And you...you dare to injure me?" she asked of Sailormars, who was still suspended above the floor. Sailormars' face was beginning to change color, and her frantic clawing at her throat was growing weaker. Her eyes remained open, however, and she glared in open defiance at Sailorsaturn.

Sailorsaturn looked in disgust at her. "Suffocation is too quick," she said. Sailormars flew up against the wall, where shackles like the ones that had confined Haruka caught and held her. She turned then to survey the scene. Sailorvenus, Sailormercury, Sailorpluto, and Hotaru were frozen where they stood. Haruka and Sailorjupiter where both unconscious. She smiled in satisfaction as all the senshi lifted into the air and were imprisoned. "Chaos has won." She smiled an unpleasant smile.

*****************************

Once again the darkness surrounding her soul parted. Deep inside her, some sixth sense throbbed painfully. Danger. There was danger around her. People were in trouble, and something had to be done. But she didn't know if she had the strength to continue. She was so tired...

The throbbing wouldn't let her sleep. There was something more, something that went beyond the danger around her. Her mind brushed the part of her that belonged to someone else and she froze. Pain. There was pain in her soulmate. Conflict. Life. A vague spark of life... (...Haruka...)
(...Michiru?!...) The voice in her mind was silent, and she thought she had been hallucinating again. After all, she had watched her love die right before her eyes. (...Haruka...)
(...Michiru! where are you?...)
(...Haruka...) She knew then that, somehow, Michiru was alive. Barely. Her mindvoice was weak and fuzzy, almost lifeless. She gripped their bond tightly, and her mind filled with an image of her love sprawled out on the floor of a long hallway. Michiru's face was averted from view, but the floor around her head was smeared with red. (...Michiru! get up!...)
(...I tried...I can't...)
(...you can! don't you dare give up, Kaioh Michiru! I need you...)
(...you're in pain, Haruka...you feel empty...)
(...I thought you were dead...please...get up and find me...the others are in danger as well...) Haruka felt Michiru's mind slip away then, and she almost panicked. She had watched her die once; she wouldn't live through twice. But then, she felt their bond strengthen fractionally, and pain jangled her. Michiru was struggling to her feet, painfully, but she was still alive. Fierce resolve washed over her. She had a reason to keep fighting. Gripping this new resolve, she attempted to open her eyes but found them gummed shut. After some difficulty, she opened first one eye, and then the other.

Before even sizing up the situation, Haruka found herself searching for Michiru's body hanging on the wall. Her body wasn't there, and she felt relieved. What she found instead was almost as bad. Ringing the walls in varying stages of consciousness were the senshi. Sailormercury and Sailorvenus were awake and talking together across the room where they hung side by side. Sailorjupiter was beside Sailorvenus, her face drawn and pale. Her eyes were closed, but Haruka couldn't tell if she was awake or not. Sailormars hung beside Sailorjupiter. Her eyes were open, and every now and then either Sailorvenus or Sailormercury would glance her way, but she never contributed to the conversation. Looking closer at the raven-haired senshi, Haruka could see vivid purple-black bruises ringing her neck, and realized why she was being so quiet. It probably pained her to talk. Beside Sailormercury hung Sailorpluto, also awake but not contributing to conversation. The senshi of Time seemed to have her eyes on Haruka, and when Haruka met the woman's eyes, she started in surprise, but then averted her gaze. Haruka was puzzled at her reaction until she realized the obvious. Sailorpluto must have been in charge, and had failed. She was in the process of coming to terms with her failure. Haruka let her gaze wander as well. If she craned her neck enough to the left, she could just glimpse Hotaru hanging there. Haruka frowned in puzzlement. Something here wasn't right.

Looking across the room at Sailorpluto, Haruka opened her mouth to speak, but found her throat dry and rasping. Swallowing a few times to work some moisture in, she tried again. "Setsuna," she managed, coughing a little.

Sailorvenus and Sailormercury's conversation halted, as they both looked at her in some startlement. Sailormars also glanced in her direction, grimaced, but said nothing. Sailorjupiter never stirred; she must have been unconscious. "Haruka...are you alright?" Setsuna asked lowly.

Haruka considered this question and almost laughed aloud at the total absurdity of it. "Does it matter?" she countered. Realizing that that was an unfair question to ask of Sailorpluto, Haruka added, "What happened? Where am I?"

"A long story," Sailorvenus said with a laugh that sounded almost hysterical. Haruka saw that she was shaken, and had seen much. Too much, perhaps.

Slowly, Sailorpluto related the story. At first, Haruka had problems believing her, but after comparing the incredible things Sailorpluto was saying to her situation and what she remembered, it made a sort of weird sense. "Usagi?" Haruka inquired after Sailorpluto had run out of words.

"Remained behind," Sailorpluto replied instantly. "It would serve no purpose to bring her here. Besides, she is with child, and she has a kingdom to run."

Haruka nodded slowly, running her eyes around the room. They all looked to be in varying degrees of pain, both physical and mental. Their situation looked bleak. If Sailorneptune didn't make it...they were all doomed. In frustration, Haruka strained against her bonds. Not even the littlest movement. "Damn," she said forcibly, collapsing against the wall she hung against.

*****************************

Sailorsaturn paced. She had most of the senshi captive, but the one she wanted most still eluded her. Where was Hoshi? Shouldn't she be running to the rescue of the ones she brought? Mentally tallying the senshi in her possession, she realized that she was also missing Sailorneptune. Where was she now?

Chaos wanted to be free. Every now and again, Sailorsaturn felt as if something were straining against her mind. As if she were two separate persons instead of one. Chaos had chosen her to be its new host, but now it was growing restless. It knew as well as she that, without Hoshi, things could potentially come down on their heads. And it wanted to go about finding Hoshi instead of waiting for Hoshi to come to them. Patience, she tried telling it. But it would have none of her placations. It was Chaos. It didn't need to listen to her.

Hoshi. Law would be destroyed this time. Sailorsaturn swore it. Reluctantly, Chaos' restless pullings at her mind abated. It was more powerful, but, right now, Sailorsaturn was in control. And it, too, was willing to bide its time.

*****************************

Outside the crumbled remains of the once-fair city, Hoshi sat crosslegged on the rock she had been sitting on since being separated from the senshi. She hadn't moved since they had departed, hadn't been in contact with any of them save Sailorpluto, and that was only for a few brief moments. Yet she was aware of what was transpiring. They were all captive, and in dire need of help. But, as callous as it sounded, she was after Sailorsaturn and the ginzuishou and her mother. If she rushed in there right then, she would lose her bait.

Sailorpluto had been trying to contact her for quite a while now, but Hoshi wouldn't have it. She wanted to maintain the illusion that Sailorpluto wasn't getting through to her. Hoshi stared hard at the city on the horizon. These senshi meant nothing to her, not really. The senshi of her time meant something to her, but these pale shadows of the senshi she knew meant nothing. They couldn't know what she had seen, they couldn't be as strong as the senshi that had fought to the death in her time. They were nothing more than pawns to gain her the prize she wanted so desperately.

Briefly, she heard the words of the lessons her mother taught her. Compassion. Selflessness. Morality. Her mother wouldn't be happy seeing her like this now. But she didn't much care. Sailorsaturn had to pay for what she had done. The cries of her father and grandmother rang in her ears, drowning out her mother's lecturing tone. Bowing her head, Hoshi relived those last few moments in the palace... "She's inside," Serenity said tiredly. Hoshi stood near her grandmother, and at her words, she looked at the elderly woman. They called her Serenity instead of Usagi so as not to confuse her with Hoshi's mother. Now, at nearly ten thousand years, Serenity looked worn and weary. Her hair was bleached almost white by time, and fine lines spiderwebbed across her face and around her eyes. Her brilliant blue eyes had faded some as well, leaving them a sort of washed-out color. An extended lifespan allowed them to live countless years beyond that of their subjects, but it didn't render them immortal. Not knowing what else to do, Hoshi placed a hand on her grandmother's shoulder.

Usagi was there as well, holding tight to the ginzuishou floating between her two hands. Her youthful face was all determination and strength, and at the announcement that their enemy was within the walls that she called her own, she grew angered as well. "We will fight," she said in clipped, flint-hard tones. Her eyes were flashing a razor-edged blue.

"Peace, Usagi," Helios said softly, a hand briefly touching the woman's. "This will not be a bloodfest. She is a senshi, after all." Hoshi studied her father, wondering at how he could maintain such a patient, confident tone even in the face of such adversity. The man's faded white hair was tousled and brushed impatiently away from his face, revealing his soft amber eyes. However, there was nothing soft about them at this particular moment. The grim set to his mouth and the stiff set to his lips revealed to Hoshi that Helios was as angered as Usagi was.

"He is right, daughter," Serenity said. "Don't kill her...please."

Usagi looked about to argue, but sighed. "What else can we do?"

An explosion wracked the palace. The floor vibrated alarmingly beneath their feet. Hoshi looked apprehensively at the door. She needed to transform. To protect them.

Serenity's hand closed over Hoshi's. "Not now, Hoshi. Save that power. It isn't yours to wield yet," she said kindly. Hoshi realized then that she had unconsciously been gathering power within her, preparing for the moment when she would have enough to embrace that unknown but exciting part of her that she longed to be. It was powerful; many more times powerful than any of them alone. Perhaps powerful enough to drive off Sailorsaturn in one fell swoop.

"Why?" she asked. "Why wait? I can use it now. I can feel it. Its right there."

"A time for everything, Hoshi," Serenity said. "The time for your power isn't now."

Usagi, still holding tight to the ginzuishou, looked puzzled. "Mother? What do you mean?" she asked.

Serenity affected not to hear. To Hoshi alone, she focused her attention. "Do you understand?"

"I used it once before," Hoshi said, almost defiantly. Then, as an afterthought, added, "Almost. I was closer than I had ever been to it when I faced Chaos." Serenity looked sad. "I remember. I remember you being there, I remember hearing your voice and receiving hope even after I had watched my friends die," she said softly. "That was before I was queen. My first encounter with Chaos. Against Galaxia." She was silent a long time, and the faraway explosions slowly gained in intensity and proximity. "But your power cannot be used until you are able to wield it properly," she continued more firmly. "Promise me you won't use it now."

"I promise," Hoshi said finally. The words choked her to say, but she had made her promise.

Serenity looked about to say more, but just then, the four inner senshi burst into the room. "Sailorsaturn is close," Sailorvenus said at once. All four of them looked grim. They, too, were starting to show their age, but they wouldn't let that stop them. They would serve the royal family until they died.

"What about the outers?" Helios asked. "Have they responded?"

"No," Sailormars said shortly. "They have ignored our cries for help."

"If they can still hear it," Sailorjupiter cut in, casting Sailormars a disapproving look. "We don't know that they're purposely ignoring us." Sailormars snorted, but said nothing.

"What about Hoshi?" Helios asked suddenly.

The others looked at her. Hoshi wanted to stay and fight. She wanted to tell them that, but the words stuck in her throat. The floor shook again, and a piece of the crystal wall broke and shattered loudly, making them all jump. "She's here," Serenity said suddenly, just as the door blew open.

Hoshi turned with the rest of them, preparing to fight until eminent death, but just then, her father's arms encircled her. "Don't move," she heard him whisper in her ear. "Whatever happens, don't move. Please, Hoshi. Don't move." A warm tingling sensation spread out through her body, and when she looked down at herself, she saw that she was invisible. Her father abruptly withdrew his arms.

Sailorsaturn breezed in, radiating darkness. "Leave," Usagi spat.

Sailorsaturn said nothing, merely smiling a smile and holding her hands up. Hoshi watched as the inner senshi charged forward. There was a brief charged battle, but then in one large blast of energy, all four of the senshi were blown across the room and lay unmoving. Something stirred within Hoshi as she watched this with wide eyes.

"I want the ginzuishou," Sailorsaturn said then, advancing on the clustered group. Hoshi stood among them, between Usagi and Helios, but Sailorsaturn couldn't see her. Suddenly, a feeling of hopelessness overwhelmed her. She knew they wouldn't all make it out of this alive.

Serenity strode forward boldly. "You cannot have it," she said in a ringing voice. Years seemed to melt off of her with this one declaration. "Not without a fight."

"A fight you shall have," Sailorsaturn said with grim amusement. "Silence Glaive SURPRISE!" She swung the glaive downward, and a wave of energy flew at them. Serenity flung her hands up, and a surprisingly bright dome of silver sprung up around them. The attack was deflected harmlessly. Sailorsaturn frowned, but then smiled as Serenity seemed to waver at this display of power. "Your powers are limited," she said. "A second attack, you wouldn't survive."

"Nevertheless, I will resist," Serenity said through clenched teeth. Hoshi wanted to run to her. The feeling within her grew to a feeling of urgency, of need, of fulfillment.

"Silence Glaive SURPRISE!"

Sailorsaturn was right. When the wave impacted the shield, the shield wavered, then fell. What remained of the attack slammed into the older woman, sending her flying. "Mother!" Usagi cried. At her side, Helios gripped his hands tightly at his side. On his forehead, a shimmering horn had begun to appear. Hoshi knew what was going to happen deep inside her and wanted it to not happen.

"You cannot have the ginzuishou," Helios said quietly but firmly. He had begun to glow a soft gold.

Usagi knew what her husband was planning as well, and held the ginzuishou up before he could. "Please! Don't do this! See how wrong you are, Sailorsaturn!" Usagi cried, tears streaming down her face. They all knew that Serenity had passed on, had all felt that chill feeling deep inside them that marked a passing of a royal family member. "Don't kill anymore!"

The ginzuishou flared with Usagi's emotions, but Sailorsaturn regarded it with no more interest than one might pay an especially annoying fly. "You cannot touch me, my dear Usagi," she said with a great deal of sarcasm and venom. "Now, the ginzuishou..."

At this moment, everything seemed to blend together for Hoshi. To this moment, she wasn't sure how Sailorsaturn had accomplished what she did. In one instant, she was leering at them from across the room, but the next, she was among them. Her glaive pressed up against Usagi's throat, and blood began trickling down her neck. Hoshi was so close, she could have touched Sailorsaturn had she tried, but her father's words kept echoing in her head. Whatever happens, don't move.

Helios was not going to stand by and let this happen. With a snarl of rage Hoshi had never heard her laid-back father use before, he launched himself at Sailorsaturn. The horn gracing his forehead grew more distinct as he roughly jerked Usagi away and flung her away from him. "You will fight me," he said softly, his voice iron-hard and razor-sharp. There was a flash of golden light, and Helios pulled a sword from midair. He struck first.

Sailorsaturn deflected Helios' thrust awkwardly, but then recovered and slashed. The two went back and forth with their weapons for an unknown length of time, their faces masks of concentration. Several times, Sailorsaturn came close to colliding with Hoshi who stood there dumbly and mutely as she watched the fevered battle between them, but each time she narrowly veered off. Finally though, Sailorsaturn slashed at Helios' arm, wounding it and distracting him enough for her to end it. With a quick thrust upward, the glaive stabbed through clothing and flesh and impaled its wide-eyed victim. Sailorsaturn gave her weapon one last wrenching twist, watching in glee as the light faded from Helios' eyes, then shook the body off distastefully. Hoshi's tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth. Dimly, she wondered if whatever spell her father had cast on her would still work even after his death.

Sailorsaturn advanced on Usagi, who had watched the whole thing. The ginzuishou still glittered between one clenched hand, but the pink-haired queen paid it little attention. "Give me the ginzuishou," Sailorsaturn said. "I have killed your husband. I will kill you, too. But first, the ginzuishou."

Neo-Queen Usagi lifted her bowed head. Her eyes were dry. "Never," she said slowly and distinctly. "Kill me first. But you will not have the ginzuishou."

Sailorsaturn shrugged. "There isn't any need for you to give it to me. I can take it from you just as easily, I suppose," she said almost conversationally. She threw her head back, and oozing dark power erupted all around her. "CHAOS!" she screamed. The restless power surrounding her, looking to her to unleash it with that one word, rushed Queen Usagi and the ginzuishou, wrapping them both up. Hoshi could hear her mother's screams as the power writhed and pulsed around them. She couldn't take anymore. Whatever her grandmother Serenity had said, she had to do something.

"STOP!" she cried, taking a step forward. With her motion, the spell concealing her dissolved. She glowed with some inner light, so her step into Sailorsaturn's view was heralded with a bright glow that made the evil senshi shield her eyes. Before this strange light, the black power seemed to shrink. Sailorsaturn herself hissed in pain, but as the darkness returned to her, she started laughing in triumph. Before Hoshi's horrified eyes, Sailorsaturn held up the ginzuishou. Her face twisted in the pain the ginzuishou was causing her, but still she laughed. Hoshi rushed at her, but all at once, Sailorsaturn vanished with the ginzuishou.

Hoshi's arms dropped to her side and her head slumped. She turned to her mother, who was slowly picking herself up from the floor. Not looking at the bodies of Helios or Serenity, they emraced. Hoshi found herself crying when she came to herself again. Her father and her had been very close, until Sailorsaturn had taken him from her and her mother. Her mother had been driven mad by Sailorsaturn's abuse. The senshi she had turned to for support after he father's death had all been killed as well at Sailorsaturn's hand.

She wiped her eyes dry on the fabric of her white robe, turned almost grey through travel and wear. She stood, and looked towards what remained of her home. Distantly, deep inside, she heard the calm voice that advised her when she most needed it tell her to curb her anger. Anger would only result in more death, and unnecessary death was what her duty forbade. Was the death of her father necessary, she asked of the voice, then shut it up deep inside where she didn't have to hear its preaching tones. This same voice had explained to her who she was and what her duty to her mother and the senshi would be. But had the voice taken into consideration who she would lose along the way? Her hands clenched into tight fists at her side.

She would kill Sailorsaturn. And Chaos she harbored inside her. Neither of them would survive. She, Sailorcosmos, swore it.

**********************************