Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Decided Bride ❯ Teaching Leads to a Gasp ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 7 ~ Teaching leads to a Gasp

"So ladies, if you are ready to begin," Artemis' voice rose above their giggling and all the girls stopped. He walked around the table and stopped right behind Rei. She looked a little nervous, when suddenly Artemis reached down and took her hand. All the girls were paralyzed as they watched him bring the hand up to his lips and plant a gentle kiss on it.

"What was THAT!" cried Rei as she stood up and nearly slapped Artemis. He looked like he had been anticipating this and caught her wrist before she could swing out to him. Mina tried to suppress a giggle and Lita rolled her eyes. Ami had a bright blush on her cheeks and Serenity smirked in amusement. None of them really knew what to make of it though.

"That was my first demonstration. It's something you all will have to get used to," Artemis replied calmly, an amused smile on his face. All the girls looked at each other, a bit perplexed.

Rei sat down slowly, but none of the girls missed the new red tinge her cheeks had. "Care to explain yourself?" she asked, venom dripping from every word.

Artemis stood at the head of the table where he had laid a stack of books. He had one open beside the stack already. He planted both on his hands on either side of the book and looked at the girls. "That is a custom that male Earthlings have when they greet a respected personage," he said simply.

Ami's cheeks went pink. "Even to other males?!" she asked shyly, not being able to picture the fierce warriors of earth going around kissing each others hands.

Artemis tried to choke back a laugh as he tried to explain. "No no Ami. They only do so to females. To other males they simply bow or shake handsh" he managed to get out.

Ami pinked even more. "Oh." Was all she said. Mina giggled. Artemis chuckled too. This was going to be an interesting lesson.


----------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------


"Artemis, if you open one more door for me I swear I'll-" Lita stopped herself from blurting out any profanities.

Artemis chuckled. The Princesses and him were walking through the galleries and libraries, and he was demonstrating to them how to carry on a conversation, and teaching them the topics they could discuss based on the history of Earth. Each time they entered a new room, he held the door open for them, something that the Senshi were not used to. Each time he did, it was mainly Lita who fought it, thinking that it made her look weak.

"Lita, you're going to have to get used to this before they arrive. Like I have told you many times already today, it is not done to make you look weak. It is simply a courtesy," he said, knowing the words would not appease her.

Lita stormed through the door after the other girls, fists clenched at her sides. The other girls laughed. It was not a case that men of the other planets were not courteous. They were just much more subtle about it, and they did not object if the girls were courteous back. The way Artemis was portrayed it made it seem as if the women of the Earth were weak, not able to take care of themselves. The only girl that really seemed to be enjoying the whole thing was Mina. Ami blushed furiously each time that Artemis used her for an example, Lita and Rei both felt humiliated, and Serenity was not concentrating on enjoying it, just on learning it.

As soon as Artemis had calmed Lita down a little, they continued on. Fortunately for Artemis, the next door that they encountered was already open.


------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------


Serenity slipped down the tree, and headed to the tavern. It was ten thirty, and everything was cloaked in darkness. The girls had been perplexed at the 'tiredness' that overcame her after dinner again, and she retired to her room early. She knew that they would start interrogating her soon enough about why she wanted all the 'alone time.'

She made her way down the empty streets, and finally reached the tavern. She entered and saw Motoki just coming out from the kitchen and heading to one of the sets of stairs. Otherwise, there was no one in the main room.

He saw her enter. "You did make it, good. You'll have to excuse me for a while. Father is meeting with someone upstairs, and he needs me there. I'll be down shortly," he siad, still walking in the direction of the stairs.

Serenity nodded and walked over to the fire that was burning cheerfully on one of the side walls in a lowered floor. The lowered floor was about a meter lower then the rest of the main floor, about 8 feet by 8 feet, with cushions covering it, surrounded by a low railing. It was somewhat private, being in a corner, hidden by a number of tables and chairs. She walked down the steps and sat down in front of the fire.

She gazed into the dancing flames. It was the only light source in the whole room, so the rest of the room was bathed in shadows and darkness. Serenity sighed as she rested her chin on her knees, leaning against one of the walls. Her hood was down and her hair hidden beneath the hat, but she hadn't bothered to take off the cloak. She heard footsteps approach and come down the stairs. She looked up expecting to see Motoki, but was stunned to see the man whom she had met earlier that day.

"Oh, hi. I didn't think anyone would be here still. Tye was it?" he said gently. She nodded her head. He was carrying a book in his hand, apparently having planned to read in the glow of the fire. "Do you mind if I join you?" he asked.

She shook her head. "No, I don't mind," she replied, glad she had been able to find her voice this time.

He took a seat right across from her on the floor on top of one of the cushions. He rested his arms on his knees with the book in his lap. "So how come you're here?" he asked.

"I just arrived. Motoki was busy earlier today," she said simply.

He smiled. "It was pretty hectic just after you left. Motoki had a hard time scrambling enough rooms together for that group that came," he said as he chuckled.

"What's so funny?" she asked, confused by his amusement.

"Oh, it's nothing. I overheard one of them talking about why they're here. They're hoping to see a royal wedding," he replied, and chuckled again, but Serenity remained silent. Every time a suitor came, it also brought small groups of people from the planets who hoped she would say yes and amuse them with a grand wedding. They wanted to 'witness a historical event,' as some had put it.

She sighed and put on a fake smile. "They always flock here when a new man comes to claim Princess Serenity," she said.

He cocked an eyebrow. "Every time? Why don't they wait until the wedding is announced, rather than waiting only to be disappointed?"

"It takes a long time to travel from some of the planets to the moon. Many of them want to be part of the wedding, even as workers, and all the jobs would be taken before they arrived if they waited for the announcement of the engagement. Besides, there's always plenty of extra work even before the man-to-be arrives, and during his stay." She paused, not really sure if she had been blabbering.

He stared at her for a moment and then nodded his head. "That makes sense I suppose. I was hoping to get a job at the palace myself," he said casually.

She looked up at him. No, she couldn't…."I could help you get a job there if you like." No, that’s what she had not wanted to do!

A smile lit his face. "Really? How?" he asked eagerly.

She looked down at her hands, a slow blush creeping across her cheeks. "Uhhhhh…I-I work there. Yes, I work there, so I could put in a word for you." Had she gone crazy? She certainly thought so. Maybe he would refuse her offer. Hope bubbled insider her.

"Wow, that would be great." The bubble popped. "So…." he started, sounding a little unsure of himself. Her head shot up to look at him, "Do you ever see the princess?" he finally asked.

Her eyebrows rose. "Yes, sometimes. Why?" Her heart started to hammer in her chest. Yes Darien, why?

He looked at her. "I'm just curious. I've never seen her," he said, then paused. "What is she like? Motoki has told me a little about her, but not much."

The blush returned to her cheeks. What was she supposed to tell him? And what had Motoki told him!! "Well, ummm……" She stopped as she heard more footsteps. She looked up, relieved to see Motoki coming down the stairs with two steaming mugs in his hand.

"Hi you two. I'm not disturbing your conversation am I?" he asked, an odd grin on his face. He came and sat down about a foot from Serenity, handing her one of the mugs.

Darien smiled at him. "No, not at all. I was just asking Tye about his opinion of the Princess."

Motoki nearly choked on the tea that he had just started to drink. He regained his breath and started to laugh. Serenity could feel her cheeks burning more and more by the second. She didn't know why, the man sitting in front of here didn't know who she really was. It was just a natural curiosity. Motoki looked at Serenity. "You have a one track mind Darien. Although I'm sure that Tye can tell you more about her than I could." He smiled innocently at Serenity as she shot him a venomous glance.

"Maybe later Motoki," she said through partly clenched teeth. "I don't have much time tonight."

Motoki suppressed another round of laughter as he watched the fuming Princess. Darien looked from one to the other, not really understanding what had just passed between the two. Motoki finally sighed and slowly got up. "Ok Tye," he relented, then looked at Darien. "Darien, we're going to be up in my room if you need me." Darien nodded his head at the comment, and then opened his book as the other two got up and headed up the stairs.

As soon as they reached Motoki's room, Serenity hit him in the arm. "Ouch! What was that for?" he yelped, rubbing his arm where she had hit.

"What have you told him!" she cried out.

Motoki's hurt expression was replaced with a smirk. "You'll have to ask him that," he said, "I'm not about to commit suicide." He smiled at her cold glare. She slumped her shoulders and sat down. He followed suit. "Why do you care anyway?" he asked.

Her eyes went wide. "I don't care," she said, non-too convincingly.

He smiled, but said no more on the subject for the time. "Well, shall we get started again then?" he asked. She nodded, trying to push the man out of her mind.


------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------


Serenity giggled at Motoki as they once again bumped into the table in the room. He was trying to slow dance with her again, but the room was just too small. It didn't help that Motoki didn't know how to dance either. He leaned over and whispered in her ear, "Does the lady laugh at my clumsiness."

She smiled. "Nay, good sir. I was merely thinking of how graceful my partner is compared to myself." She was trained in court flattery.

He smiled. "I fear, lady, that you are mistaken. It is the Beauty I am dancing with that is keeping me on my feet," he said seductively.

She looked at him playfully. "If you say so," she said with a hint of laughter in her voice.

He bumped into the chair, and dropped his hands from her. He gave an exasperated sigh. "I can't keep going like this. There's not enough room here and you're ignoring my best lines that would make most women blush." He looked up at her, and then got an idea. "Come on, let's go see if Darien is still downstairs!"

She froze, any trace of smile falling from her silken features. "Are you out of your mind!" she cried out.

Motoki looked at her confused for a moment and then started to laugh. "What! No, what did you think I was going to do, throw you into his arms and say 'dance'?" She was still frozen in place. He was still laughing. "Calm yourself Usagi! I only wanted to see if the main room was free or not so we could try down there. Everyone else is asleep or gone for the night."

She started to un-tense. He had a huge smile plastered on his face as he opened the door. She followed him. "Well, you do have an evil enough mind for it Motoki," she said to him.

He snorted. "I'm not that evil you know."

She could hear the teasing in his voice. "That evil, eh?" she asked, just as teasingly. They smiled at each other.

They reached the main room. It was completely empty, but the fire was still burning a little. "He probably went to bed," said Motoki as he went to add another log to the fire. The flames seemed to come to life as they started to consume the fresh fuel. He came back over to her. They moved some of the tables over around the railing to the sunken floor until they had enough room to move around.

Motoki came over to Serenity and bowed. "My Lady, you look more beautiful than the moon itself," he said smoothly.

She smiled and curtsied. She had changed into a simple peasant dress when they had been practicing upstairs, but her hair was still pinned up, although not concealed by a hat. "And you sir are being atrociously formal," she replied.

Motoki rolled his eyes at her as he put his hand on her waist and grasped the other. He pulled her close and they started. He tried to woo her, but nothing seemed to work. After only ten minutes, just as that afternoon, they were both frustrated. They were just too comfortable with one another, too much like brother and sister. Finally, Motoki dipped her. As he was looking down at her face intently, he spoke.

"I don't think I can help you Usagi," he said softly, apologetically. She nodded her head sadly.

Motoki nearly dropped her, as they both heard a gasp come from the door.

*****
~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.