Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Decided Bride ❯ Just a Lesson. Right? ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 15 ~ Just a Lesson. Right?

She had done it. She had endured over an hour and a half of interrogations of the Senshi, and she was still alive. It was now 8:30 pm, much later than she wanted it to be, as she once again headed to the stables. All of the girls parents were supposed to arrive the following afternoon, so they had many preparations they needed to do, and thus did not accompany her.

Serenity chuckled to herself as she thought back to how furious Rei had been when she had found out that she already knew Darien and had not told them about him. She knew that the girls would tease her endlessly about her lessons. The unfortunate part of this was that now they insisted they go with her the next time she went to Motoki's tavern. To, as they put it, "learn the ways of earth men as well."

She reached the stables and entered them, opening and closing the door soundlessly. She breathed in the scent of the stables, enjoying the smell of horses. As she walked to Jasmines stall, she stopped every so often to look at some of the horses as they popped their heads out of the stalls to inspect the new visitor. She finally turned the corner to the are where Jasmine was. Her heart skipped a beat when she noticed that Jasmine's stall door was open. She rushed over to the empty stall. Serenity breathed in deep and forced herself to calm down, that maybe one of the other trainers had taken her. But there was no one who needed to take her out at this hour in the night. She quickened her pace as she started her search of the stables.

Not until she saw Jasmine in the indoor ring did she relax. The mare was being led in a light trot by Darien. There were only a few torches illuminating the ring, so Serenity stayed hidden in the shadows for a few moments, watching, not really knowing why. She marvelled at how graceful he looked running next to the horse, even his hair seemed to bounce up gracefully, and float back down around his face. His smooth strides flowed like water next to the white creature. She watched him encourage the mare to lift her lags higher as she trotted, and the mare complied, almost as if the two were actually speaking to one another. He increased his pace ever so slightly, and Jasmine responded almost with pleasure.

Serenity watched his handsome face break into a smile, his eyes start to glitter with joy. She watched as he slowly let go of the lead rope. Jasmine didn't fall out of stride with him for an instant, whether he slowed or sped up. She watched in absolute fascination. Eventually the two slowed down to a slow walk. She watched as Darien took up the lead rope and brought Jasmine to the center to the ring, allowing her neck to droop over his shoulder from behind, as he ran his hand up and down her neck. She watched him as Jasmine gave a small nicker, and watched as Darien stopped walking, almost as if he was listening to her. Serenity felt her heart jump up into her throat as she watched his eyes moved from looking at his feet, to look at the shadows that concealed her. She felt every nerve in her body telling her to run and get away, but she couldn't make her feet move. And yet, she still watched.

"Usagi?" he asked, a little uncertainly. Serenity was sure she would not be able to find her voice, and surprised herself when she not only found it but found the strength to step out of the shadows.

"Yeah, it's me. Sorry for watching, but I didn't want to disturb you." She was sure that he could hear the beating of her heart as she walked over to the training ring and leaned on the side. To him it may have looked like a causal pose. Little did he know she was only doing it to keep her knees from giving way beneath her. She groaned inwardly, since there was that stupidly annoying smirk again!

"That's ok. How long were you standing there?" he asked.

Serenity shrugged her shoulders. "Not very long," she replied. His eyes sparkled with some unknown thoughts hiding behind them.

Little did Serenity know that his heart was beating just as hard as her own.

"I wanted to take Jasmine for a little exercise before you arrived. I thought you would be here earlier, but Master said you hadn't returned yet when our duty was over, so I stayed…" he let his sentence trail off. Serenity nodded her head. "Where's Mina?" he asked.

Serenity felt that odd pang in her stomach again. "She and the other Senshi stayed behind in the palace. They have to prepare for the arrival of their parents tomorrow."

He nodded his head, his smirk driving her insane. "Wonderful," he said.

She shot him a suspecting look. "Why is that wonderful?" she asked sharply.

He snickered. "We can continue with the lessons," he said matter-of-factly. S

he rolled her eyes. "I didn't come here for lessons. I came to train Jasmine," she replied in the same matter-of-fact tone. He raised his eyebrows but said nothing as he gestured for her to come into the ring. She complied and walked over to the two, who were both watching her every move. As soon as she reached them, Darien handed her the lead rope. He jogged over to the edge of the ring, opposite to where Serenity had entered the ring, where he had prepared a stool earlier. He brought it over and placed it beside Jasmine, and then took the lead rope away from Serenity once more.

"Go ahead. I'll hold her steady," he said gently as he started to stroke Jasmine's face. Serenity nodded and walked over to the stool. She stood upon it and put her hands on Jasmines back, massaging it as she allowed the mare to get used to having pressure on her back again. Then, slowly, she started to put more and more weight on the mares back.

Jasmine snorted a bit in confusion again, but was calmed down by Darien's soothing voice. "Calm down sweetheart, calm down. She's not hurting you," he murmured softly. Serenity rolled her eyes a little. Of course she wasn't hurting her. She increased the pressure until she was holding herself up on the mares back. Then she slowly descended again. Jasmine was as calm as Serenity had ever seen her , listening to Darien's voice. Serenity massaged the horses back again, but this time when she started to put pressure on it, she also started to lean onto the horse with her stomach. Eventually she was draped across the horses back. Jasmine tried turning her head to see what was going on, but Darien kept her attention focused on him. Then, without warning, he started to walk her.

Serenity stiffened. She knew that Jasmine had sensed her tension since she hesitated in her next step and flicked her ears backwards.

"Calm down," said Darien, more to Serenity than the horse.

"You should have warned me you were going to walk her," Serenity said as calmly as she could, so as to not make Jasmine even more nervous. She heard Darien chuckle.

"Now where would the fun in that be?" he asked, keeping his voice gentle as well. Serenity sighed slightly under her breath as she willed her muscles to relax. Her ribs were starting to be a little soar as Jasmine finally started to relax herself. Darien made one full round of the ring before they arrived back at the stool. Serenity touched her feet to the stool and straitened up, breathing a sigh of relief that Jasmine was doing so well.

"She's doing well," she remarked as she got off the stool and came over to look at the mare's face.

Darien was staring intently into the horses amber eyes. "Do it again," he said.

Serenity stopped. "What? Again? We should wait a little while so she's not overwhelmed."

"Do it again Usagi, get on her back. She's ok," he said again, not once letting his gaze leave the horses. Serenity wanted to argue, but didn't want the horse to pick up on any tension, so she did as she was told. This time Darien walked the horse a little faster. Jasmine wasn’t tense very long. When they made it back to the stool, Serenity slipped off the mare's back again. Jasmine seemed as cool as a cucumber.

"I'm impressed. Most of our horses get so antsy when we do this we can only do a little at a time to start out with," she said, not bothering to get off the stool. Darien was still looking into the horses eyes, almost as if he was holding her in a trance.

"Get on her back Usagi, like a rider," he instructed gently. Serenity gaped at him for a moment. At the pause, Darien broke his gaze with Jasmine for a split second as he looked at Serenity, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Are you scared?" he asked teasingly.

Serenity crossed her arms. "I am not scared. I just don't want to push her too far."

Darien smiled fully as his gaze returned to Jasmine. "Don't worry, she's still fine," he said softly. For some reason, although she didn't want to, Serenity believed him. She returned her hands to Jasmine's back and lifted herself up. Jasmine didn't even flinch, at least not until Serenity slowly moved her leg over the horses back and started to lower herself into a sitting position. She gritted her teeth, and heard Darien reassuring the confused animal. She finished lowering herself and sat as still as she could, allowing the horse to readjust. After a few moments, Darien walked them around the ring. They got halfway around, when Jasmine started to get nervous. Darien tried to sooth her again, but was not being very successful.

He sighed as he looked up at Serenity. "Alright, now she's had enough," he said calmly. Serenity nodded her head. Jasmine seemed to relax a little as soon as she heard Darien speak those words. He looped the lead rope around the fence they were next to and went over to Serenity who was already starting to lift herself up. She felt his hands on her waist as he lifted her up. She brought her leg over Jasmines back, careful as to not disturb the mare herself, and was very thankful that Darien was holding her up. She let herself drop, and landed with her back softly against Darien's chest. His hands were still on her hips as she stroked the mares side.

"She's a wonderful horse," she herd him murmur as he slid his hands off her hips, a bit slower than he should have. Serenity turned to face him. He brought his gaze down to look at her as she turned. "You did well," he said.

Normally Serenity would have snapped, having him praise her as though she were a dog, but the tone of his voice did not convey that meaning. She nodded her head as she realized just how close they were standing together. She felt her heart hammering in her chest and ears, as she slowly leaned against Jasmine's side. Jasmine didn't seem to notice, since she had found a small mound of hay that had been laying beside the ring and was happily munching away.

"She is a beautiful horse, isn't she?" Serenity asked, rather shakily and uncertainly. She couldn’t think of anything else to say. Her mind was a blank. She wanted to push him away, but the feeling of him so close made her feel almost…safe.

His gaze didn't waver once from her eyes. "Not as beautiful as…" he stopped himself, a look of confusion streaking through his eyes. Serenity felt like her heart was about to explode out of her chest. She wanted him to finish the sentence, but at the same time was scared what it would lead to. His eyes looked like molten darkness itself, the torches casting shadows on his face creating a partial silhouetted effect. She could feel the heat of his body as he took a step forward, bringing himself in contact with her petite form.

"Yes?..." she prompted him softly with a whisper, surprised with her own boldness.

"As beautiful as…." his voice was husky and low. She noticed that his hands were resting on her hips again, and didn't seem to remember him putting them there. She felt him leaning closer, his eyes searching hers, as if asking for permission to be so close to her. She tried to give it to him, but this was too new, too fast.

"Darien, " she whispered shakily.

"Yes?" he asked, leaning in toward her face ever so slightly. She lost her train of thought as she saw a few rebellious locks of hair fall onto his face, framing his masculine features, adding a softness to them. She reached up hesitantly to brush the hair away, but stopped her hand midair. Not letting her shy away so easily, he gently took her hand and brought it up to his face, kissing the palm gently and then laying it on his face.

"I'm scared," she whispered softly, letting him just barley catch the words. She felt him shudder a little under her touch.

"I am too." His words were sad, almost pleading, pleading for her to understand. Her voice caught in her throat as she took a shaky breath. He brought his hand up to her face and traced his thumb along her chin, up her jaw, to the back of her neck. Her hair was pinned up again, so he didn't try to run his fingers through it. Serenity felt a shiver run down her back. His other hand started to glide from her hip to her lower back. He brought his thumb back along her jaw to her chin and tilted her face up to his. Her hand had already made it's way to his hair, how or why she didn't know, nor did she care. He felt her other hand tense on his upper arm. He leaned in a little, searching her eyes once again for permission. He could see it there, deep inside, guarded closely by her own fear of the unknown. He increased the pressure of his hand on her back, and traced his thumb along her lower lip.

Her eyes looked up at him, brimming to the edge with innocence and reservation. He was so close she could feel his sweet breath on her face, smelling of the apple he had eaten earlier. His face took on a pained expression, like he was battling with himself for control, and trying to fight the need for control and just give in to desire. She brought her hand back to his face, and he felt her fingers trembling. That gave him his answer. He leaned forward, bringing the hand that had been on her chin to rest on the horses side, his other arm still looped around her waist. Serenity felt tears prickly her eyes, tears of desire and fear. Just as she thought the whole world came to a stand still...it started to move! Serenity felt herself falling backwards, only to be caught midair by Darien's strong arms. The look of shock made him want to laugh, but he suppressed the urge.

She looked up at him, her eyes wide. "Wh-what just happened?" she stammered, still caught in the haze that the man in front of her had cast around her.

The corners of his lips twitched. "I guess Jasmine decided that she didn't want to be used as a wall anymore," he said. The look on her face was just too much, and he started to laugh. She blinked a few times in surprise, and his laughter increased. He helped her straiten up, at which point she started to laugh too. He gripped the fence of the ring for support and she clutched her stomach. Jasmine gave a small whiney, which caused the two to laugh even more.

They started to calm down again after a few minuets. Darien walked over to Jasmine and took her lead rope and started to walk to the gate. Serenity followed, a grin plastered to her face. "I think that's enough for today," he said.

Serenity giggled. "I don't think Jasmine would not be nervous with us laughing," She replied.

He looked down at her, an eyebrow raised. "I wasn’t talking about Jasmine. I was talking about our lessons."

Serenity giggled. "So that was another lesson?" she asked, as they stepped into the shadows leading to Jasmines stall, and out of the light.

"Of course," he said, and winced at himself for making such a blunt comment when he knew the un-truth behind those words.

He heard Serenity give a small laugh. "Well, I should probably go then. I want to get to bed early tonight," she said in an odd sing-song voice. He nodded, but realizing she wouldn't be able to see the gesture very well, he agreed with her out loud.

"Sleep well," he said as they reached Jasmines stall and Serenity made her way to the front door. In the dark, he didn't even notice the two twin silver trails on the Princess' cheeks. I should have know better then to think it was real. It was only a lesson to him, She thought to herself as she reached the door, clutching her arms to her stomach. Only a lesson.


Darien watched the figure disappear around the corner before he let out a sigh and leaned his head against the horses warm side on the spot where he had pinched her.

"Sorry Jasmine." He murmured to the horse. "I almost lost it. It was the only way for a good distraction. Thanks." Jasmine bobbed her head as if accepting his thanks. He finally led her into her stall, lost in thought.


*****
~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to Sailormoon or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Naoko Takeuchi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.