Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Devil's Cry ❯ Q&A ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
’s Cry
Chapter 4: Q & A

The Titans thought about what Francis Dunkin, AKA the man in blue, had said. The Silver Millennium was only six years old. A question suddenly popped into Christine’s head.

“How long have you been doing this?” she asked not expecting the answer.

Francis didn’t hesitate, “1,003 years.”

“What about when everyone was frozen?” Davros asked.

“Did purgatory freeze?” Davros shook his head and Francis continued, “neither did hell. Those thousand years that you all were sleeping peacefully, I still had a job to do. Those were the days. I could do my job without everyone and their grandma getting in my way.”

Reuisu’s hard expression softened a little. He’d been alone for that thousand years while the rest of the world had been frozen. Francis looked at the clock hanging in room.

“I call the couch!” he said leaping over the chair and landing on the couch with his arms draped over the back.

When the Titans realized how late it was they decided to go to bed themselves. Reuisu slowly fell behind the group as they walked off.

Reuisu did turn around but he said, “I think I owe you an apology.”

Francis didn’t look at him, “What for?”

“For everything I’ve said and done thus far.”

“Don’t be. You were doing what you thought would keep her safe.”

Reuisu was surprised, not only at what Francis had said, but also at Francis putting his arm across his shoulders.

“Weren’t you paying attention?” Francis asked smiling at Reuisu, “I can see that look she gives you, and the look you give her. Remember, I was in love like that once too.”

“Once?” Reuisu asked.

“I’m dead, remember?” Francis tapped Reuisu’s temple, “I live in Hell. I’ve got no business loving an angel like her.”

Francis walked back over to the couch as Reuisu went to his room. Before he went to sleep he kissed Astra and told her he loved her. Later that night Miya awoke. Something had brought her back from dream land and she knew it wasn’t going to let her go back to sleep.

As she walked into the living room of Titans Tower she saw that Francis was awake too. She hid in the hallway, not sure if she should walk out or not. Francis had removed his coat and thrown it over the back of the couch. Next to it was his hoody which was actually a hooded vest. Francis was leaning forward and looking at a slip of paper.

Miya suddenly felt a sharp pain in her chest. The pain wasn’t bad enough to make her cry, but she couldn’t stop the feeling that she was going to burst into tears. She kept watching and saw something fall from his face and hit the paper.

Several more fell and he growled, “Damn it.”

It suddenly dawned on Miya, Francis was crying. She walked out into the living room slowly.

“Um, Francis?” she said softly.

Francis scrambled for his coat and hid his right arm beneath it, “What can I do for you?”

“I was just wondering if you were alright.”

“Yeah. Just thinking about something.”

Miya sat down and looked at the slip of paper. It was a photograph of a woman. Her brown hair hung in her face. Her green eyes were wide with shock as the man in the picture kissed her. The picture had been taken in a photo booth. The man must have grabbed her at the last second, he’d wanted that shocked look.

“That was the first time I kissed her,” Francis smiled, “heh. She slapped me right after, then kissed me back.”

“You two really loved each other.”

“I would have died for her.”

“Why don’t you go see her?”

“Because. I gave in. I made a deal with the devil to come back.”

“It doesn’t sound so bad to me. You hunt demons to add years onto your life. You did that just so you could come back and spend time with her.”

“You don’t get it. I wasn’t like you guys. I didn’t have any kind of special power. I was an average human. You have to have some kind of power to fight demons. Getting that power is what cost me all those years away from her.”

“Do you mind if I see?”

“Pardon?”

“Your power.”

“Whatever you do, don’t scream.”

Miya was confused when Francis said that. He stood and turned to face her. He threw his coat past her onto the couch. As he stood there she could see the bandages that were wrapped around his arm. There weren’t just bandages, there were chains, charms, even spells. All of these fell to the floor as Francis undid the bandages.

What he’d been hiding was now plainly visible. His clawed right hand seemed to glow. On the back of his hand his skin was thick and looked like armor. It covered his forearm and reached all the way to his elbow were it reached up into jagged scars. His upper arm had deep, ugly scars all the way onto his shoulder.

“This is the price you pay for power. The power a human pays to become a devil,” Francis pulled a glove from his pocket and slid it over his demonic right hand. “You should get some sleep. Tomorrow should be busy.”

Before Miya went back to bed she hugged Francis and whispered, “You are never really alone.”

After Miya went back to bed Francis laid down on the couch and sighed, “You’re wrong, I am alone.”

The next morning as the Titans and Francis gathered around their very large kitchen table for breakfast, Miya was given a look. The look came from Francis and said, “Don’t say anything about my arm.” Miya said nothing, but Astra was suddenly full of questions.

“Francis…” She started.

Francis interrupted, “Please don’t call me that. I love my mother for giving me that name but I prefer Duncan.”

“Oh? Why is that?”

“It’s Gaelic, and it means Brown Warrior. Plus it sounds cooler.”

“Well Duncan then. Last night you made it seem like you had no reason to do your job, so why do you do it?”

“Well I presume you’re making the assumption that the dark lord could find anyone he wanted to take my place at anytime, and you’re right. The dark lord can replace me when ever he feels like it. The reason I keep doing it comes down to one word, ‘Kansas.’”

Everyone looked at Duncan with a look that made him laugh, then he burst into song, again, “Carry on my wayward son! There’ll be peace when you are done! Lay your weary head to rest! Don’t you cry no more!”

“Not this again,” Chris groaned.

Francis ignored him and continued singing. When he finished he looked at them with a grin on his face.

“Every time my job makes me start to slip into the darkness just a little too far, I hear a voice sing that song to me. Anyone want to take a guess who’s singing? No? The man up stairs.”

To be continued…