Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Down A New Path ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Down A New Path

Chapter One

Author's Note: Okay, I renamed the story from THE FUTURE ISN'T SET IN STONE to DOWN A NEW PATH. I also have a new pen name now. This chapter is a revised one. I will also be revising chapter two and three. Chapter four should be out by next year, depending on how much time I have. Instead of studying for finals, I'm doing this and hopefully this newer version of the story should be better.

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or Harry Potter.

IIII

A figure watched from the shadow as the Sorting Ceremony began. Professor McGonagall walked into the hall with the first years following her nervously. The hall quieted down, taking a look at the new first years and remembering how nervous they were when they were those ages. The professor whipped out a stool and an old raggedy hat from behind her. The hat had rips where eyes and a mouth should have been, making it seem alive.

Then the professor summoned up a scroll with the names of the first years. She then stood off to the side.

The old hat then burst into a long song. When it finished, the hall burst into applause. When everyone finally quieted down, McGonagall started the sorting.

The figure in the shadows took this time to look around the great hall. There were four long tables filled with students waiting for the sorting to be over. The person guessed that the one on the far right held the Gryffindor students. The next table over belong to the Ravenclaws, and next to them were the Hufflepuffs. On the far left was the last house, Slytherin.

There was another table in the great hall. This one presided over the rest it seemed. All of the professors were located at this table.

The figure brought her gaze back to the students. First the unknown pair of eyes lingered over the Gryffindor table. The eyes roamed over the unknowing students. The eyes finally rested on three. It was the famous Harry Potter and his two friends, Ron Weasly and Hermione Granger. Then the eyes darted over to the Slytherin table.

The eyes headed straight for a boy with pale blond hair. The eyes gazed at him. Draco Malfoy.

As if sensing the stare, Malfoy turned his head to the shadows. The figure quickly took its eyes off of him. Then the eyes moved toward the professors' table. The eyes quickly assessed each one. The eyes came to a

stop at a gigantic looking man. Hagrid.

The eyes moved along to a mean looking man. 'Ah, Professor Snape.' thought the mysterious figure. Then the eyes moved to the headmaster. 'Same man as ever, eh.'

Then the eyes took notice of two new professors. One was male and the other female. The figure was wondering why there was need of two new professors. The only available position at the moment happened to be Defense Against the Dark Arts. When the eyes settled on the female, the person was shocked. 'How can it be? Are you really alive? I can't believe it.'

The figure shook its head, and then moved its eye towards Professor McGonagall. The professor had just finished announcing the last first year.

The headmaster stood up to make his yearly greeting.

"Welcome to another great year at Hogwarts. Before we start the feast, I have a few announcements to make. It's my pleasure to announce that we have two new professors joining us this year. This year's new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is Professor Dakr Dashow," said Dumbledore. He moved his hand towards the young man.

"And a new Divination professor. Professor Trelawney resigned after last year's....unfortunate events. Professor Mau will only take on students with the inner eye. The other students will still take divination, just with Professor Firenze. Please welcome Professor Luna Mau."

The mentioned professor stood up. "I shall notify you after the feast if you are one with an inner eye. I must say that there isn't many, but those who do have it will find my class tough and painful," interrupted Luna. With that said, she sat back down in her seat.

"I have one last announcement," continued Dumbledore, "I am honored to announce that we have a transfer student joining us from Japan. This is a first for Hogwarts. She will be entering as a sixth year. Please welcome, Serenity Moon!"

The figure from the shadows stepped out to reveal a cloaked person.

The students were whispering to themselves.

"I wonder why she's still wearing her cloak." Another student said, "Maybe she's ugly."

As the young girl approached the stool, she took off her cloak. The cloak itself disappeared behind her back.

The students were amazed at what they saw. The girl was beautiful. She had long, thick silver hair. Her hair was put into a French braid. She had a heart-shaped face with large, crystal, blue eyes. Her skin was fair and free of blemishes. Her lips were rosy, and her figure was perfect. She was perfect it seemed.

The same students that were whispering earlier were now whispering again about her astonishing beauty.

The girl ignored all the whispering and staring she got and sat down on the stool.

McGonagall placed the hat on her, and a second later she heard a voice.

'Ah, I've been waiting for your arrival Serenity. How are you? Oh, I see that a tragic accident has brought you to us. My apologies your majesty.'

'It's okay. I guess I have a new path to follow now.'

'Let's see what house you shall join. Certainly not Hufflepuff.'

'Any house will be fine for me.'

'You sound a little down, princess.'

There was silence on Serenity's part.

'Ravenclaw wouldn't suit you. It's down to just Gryffindor and Slytherin.'

Again there was silence.

'I have decided. Because of your recent tragedy, I shall place you in.....'

The sorting hat had talked to Serenity for quite some time.

All of a sudden, it burst out saying, "SLYTHERIN!"

All the other houses were dejected. They had hoped that the new student would have been placed into their house.

Serenity felt the hat being lifted off her head. She stepped down from the stool and headed to the clapping table.

She took an empty seat next to the blond she had seen earlier.

'I wonder if they are surprised by the house I was sorted into,' thought Serenity mentally.

She looked over at Dumbledore. He stood up once more.

"Now, enjoy the feast."

He raised his goblet in a toast then sat back down. Food then appeared magically on the four, long tables.

Unlike her usual self, Serenity didn't gobble up on the food. She just took regular servings of each meal. She had promised herself that she would be able to survive on her own. To do that, she had to change. Now she was a more mature person.

'I must not think of them. I'm here for a reason. And that is to protect.'

While waiting for the main course to be served, the blond next to her introduced himself.

"So, you are from Japan?" he asked.

"Yes I am. May I ask what your name is? I would like to know who I am talking to since I am new here," she said in flawless English.

"For a foreigner, you have no accent. I am Draco Malfoy. I prefer to go by Malfoy. Few people have the right to call me Draco."

"And I am Serenity Moon."

"Please to meet you. I am rather surprised that you were sorted into our house. I would've thought you were a Gryffindor person."

Serenity did her best to not blow up at that insult. One of the many things that she had learned that summer was to act polite and mature. That meant not blowing up.

"Well then, that shows you to not judge someone before knowing them," she responded coldly.

"You are not like other girls," he stated, rather than asked.

"And how is that?"

"Well, for one girls like you are usually snobby and care about their appearance and they fawn over guys. You on the other hand, well, you are quite the opposite."

"Thank you."

Before Malfoy could speak again, the food appeared. The rest of the evening passed by fairly quickly for everyone, during which Serenity ignored Malfoy. It wasn't that hard because she had other things on her mind.

IIII

"Prefects, please lead your house to their dorms. Have a good night sleep," bade the headmaster. Everyone stood up and some yawned as they made their way to their respected dormitories.

Serenity stood up and followed the Slytherin prefects. The walk was not very long. In a matter of minutes, they reached a portrait. The prefects called out the password to everyone.

Once inside the common room, the girls and the boys separated. The girls headed to the right side, so Serenity followed. She barely took notice of the common room for she was too tired to stop and look.

She walked up the stairs. Then asked one of the girls where the sixth year section was located. A girl named Molly was kind enough to show her the way. All the other girls were rude and ignored her.

"Our dorms are this way. All you do is follow the signs. I'm also a sixth year," said Molly.

"How do you know which room is yours?"

"Easy. You have to share your room with four other people though. But finding your room shouldn't be hard. There's a little sign outside the door with you name on it. That one would be your room," explained Molly.

The two girls reached the sixth year section and were now looking for there rooms.

"Aha!" exclaimed Molly.

"Did you find your room, Molly?"

"Sure did. You're in the Sam room that I'm in, too."

So the two girls made their way into the room. Molly headed to the bed with her things. Serenity looked for her belongings. She found it around the bed near the window.

"Good night, Serenity."

"Good night, Molly."

Serenity got into the bed and tried to get comfortable. She tossed and turned for awhile. By that time everyone in her room was already fast asleep.

She turned to face the window. Looking at the moon always lulled her to sleep.

Soon she fell into a deep dream.

Dream

Serenity found herself surrounded by a white, thin mist. A few feet away from her, she could see nine shadows. Two of them stepped out of the mist and revealed themselves.

"Ami-chan, Rei-chan!" she cried in joy. It had been a while since she was that happy. She missed her friends terribly.

"Usa-chan, we don't have very long. You must defeat this new evil on your own. Study hard at Hogwarts," said Ami, giving Serenity a final hug before a blue light emerged from her body and merged into Serenity's.


"Odango, you better beat the shit out of them. See ya later." Rei gave her a big smile. Just like Ami, a light emerged out of her and into Serenity, but the light was red. Then two more figures approached Serenity.

Out of the mists came Minako and Makoto. "Mako-chan, Minako-chan!"

"Hey Usagi-chan, beat that evil idiot to a bloody pulp."

"
Usa, I believe in you. You can and will beat them. We are with you in spirit."

Makoto waved at her and Minako gave her a 'v' sign for victory. Much like Ami and Rei, a green and orange light emerged from Makoto and Minako and went into Serenity. Their bodies also disappeared. Serenity could feel their energy tingling inside her body though; it was a comfort to her sad soul. She felt a little better to know that they were inside her, helping her. She just wished that she could join them, but she knew that she couldn't.

Next, Haruka, Michiru, and Hotaru came out of the mist.

"Hotaru-chan, Michiru-san, and Haruka-san!" she cried out in joy and grief. She knew they would have to go too. It was becoming too hard to watch her friends leave her alone again. If only she could turn back time and save them from Chaos.

"Hime-chan. I just wanna give you my glaive and wish you the best. Good luck."

"Thank you Hotaru-chan." Now Serenity had tears rolling down her cheeks rapidly. 'I have to fight and protect this world. I must be strong, or my senshi's' sacrifice will be meaningless,' she thought.

"Don't cry Hime. Stay strong. Use my mirror." offered Michiru.

"Oh thank you Michiru-chan." Serenity gave her a weak smile, trying her best to brighten herself up.

"No need to thank me."

"Koneko-chan, I know you can defeat the new evil. I give you my space sword to protect yourself. We will also be by your side to protect you. If not in body, then in spirit we shall protect you from harm."

"Thank you." she whispered, her heart filled with sadness. The friends that she came to know as her family were gone.

Dark purple, aqua, and navy lights merged into Serenity. They, too, tried to comfort her torn soul. Their bodies vanished before her eyes. Before she broke down into hysterics, she saw a shadow approach her.

The mist unveiled Setsuna's body. "Hime. Listen to me. You must defeat this evil, but he won't be the last. You need to get rid of Voldemort. Ask Luna later on. You must create a new future for these people. Please, live on. You were meant to live. Become friends to these new people, but watch who you befriend. I must go now. My spirit will always be with you. If you need me, my past self will be at the gates, but she will not be able to tell you much. Take my orb. It shall guide you when you call upon it."

"What do you mean Setsuna?" asked a puzzled Serenity, her tears stopping momentarily.

A dark green light had already merged into her body and Pluto was no longer. Suddenly she felt arms around her. "I will miss you greatly. I just hope that you will find another that you will come to love. This new future depends on you and your new friends. I will never forget you Usako," Mamoru locked his lips with hers in a passionate kiss.

"Mamo-chan. I love you."

"Goodbye, my love."

Golden light came out from his body. The light floated around her for a minute before it went into her like the others. Mamoru's body disappeared like the rest of the senshi.

"I will miss you all minna-chan." she whispered, before she broke down into a fit of tears. Unknown to her the mist slowly disappeared to show a new future. Several figures could be seen, standing in front of a great castle, watching her. They were waiting for her to come to them.

"Goodbye, Usagi-chan. We will always be within you. We have given you our strength. Use it to defeat this new evil," said the voices of her senshi.

"I promise to you all that I will never forget you. I will be the best protector and senshi. Just lend me your strength," she promised.

"Though I would be much happier if you were here with me," she whispered.

The figures in front of the grand castle called out to her.

"You shall not be alone Serenity. You have us now. Do not cry. Help defeat Voldemort."

Serenity looked at them. She could not see their faces clearly, and before she knew it, something was waking her up.


End Dream

Serenity woke up with a start. She looked around and saw that she was the last to wake. She quickly got out of bed and grabbed her robes and headed toward the bathroom. Another half hour later, she emerged from the bathroom fully dressed. She walked over to her trunk to get the books that she would need for class. She took out her wand and a huge pendant. She placed it around her neck. This happened to be the silver crystal.

She waved the wand around her hair and murmured a spell. Her hair was now in two French braids. She then grabbed her school books. The next thing she saw shocked her. In her trunk was Saturn's glaive; next to it was Neptune's mirror and Uranus's sword. Near the bottom was Pluto's orb. Serena quickly took the items out and placed them into her sub-space pocket and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast.

She ran quickly to the Great Hall. She didn't want to meet breakfast.

When she entered, she slowed down her pace. She looked for an empty seat, but the only one was next to two mean looking guys. She was about to walk over, but she spotted Malfoy over at the Gryffindor table.

'I wonder what he's doing there,' she asked her self mentally.

She decided to find out for herself as she made her way over there.

Gryffindor Table

"So Potter, what are you and your fan club up to? I see that Weasly managed to attend school again. You still hang around that mudblood. How nice. Are you two going out?" he sneered.

Serenity decided now was the best time to interrupt them. The red haired guy looked very angry at the moment.

"Hello there Malfoy. May I ask why you are here?"

"Hello Serenity. I was just greeting these people here," said Malfoy.

"It doesn't look like that to me. May I ask who you three are?" she asked politely.

Inside, Serenity knew why Malfoy was there. As usual he liked to insult Harry Potter and his friends. The thing that puzzled her was how nice Malfoy was acting toward her.

"I'm Hermione Granger," said the brunette.

"Ron Weasly," said the red head. He was captured by Serenity's beauty.

"I'm Harry Potter," said the last guy.

"Please to meet you all. I'm Serenity Moon. It was a pleasure meeting you guys. I must head off. I'm very hungry," she said warmly.

These people reminded her of her friends.

She turned around and headed to the Slytherin table. Before she got any further, Malfoy caught up with her.

"What were you doing over there? Talking to Potter and his groupies," said Malfoy.

"That is for me to know," she answered.

"You are a rather unusual girl. I shall enjoy getting to know you."

'I will make you mine in every way,' he thought to himself. Serenity was different from any other girls. She had a will and mind of her own. Oh it would be fun getting to know her.

What he didn't know was how deep he would fall once he got to know her.

Slytherin Table

Serenity sat down next to Malfoy again since that was the only available seat. She was very hungry be this time.

'Forgot good manners,' she thought.

She piled a large plate of food on her plate and inhaled it within seconds. The food was delicious. She couldn't wait for lunch. Keeping good manners was a hard task.

Malfoy stared at her. No doubt that he found her eating antics strange.

"As I said before, you are an unusual person."

When breakfast was over, the head of the house passed out the schedule. As Snape handed her schedule, she gave him a look. The look clearly sent out a message. Snape just nodded back at her.

Serenity looked at her schedule for the day.

Day A

Divination with Professor Mau

Double Potions (Advanced) with Gryffindor and Professor Snape

Lunch break

Transfiguration (Advanced) with Professor McGonagall

Herbology with Hufflepuff and Professor Sprout


Day B

History of Magic with Professor Binns

Charms (Advanced) with Ravenclaw and Professor Flitwick

Lunch Break

Defense Against the Dark Arts (Advanced) with Professor Dashow

Care of Magical Creatures with Gryffindor and Professor Hagrid

9:00 P.M.

Astronomy (Advanced) with Professor Light (Mixed)


Malfoy snatched her paper before she finished looking at it.

"Looks like we have all of our classes together, except for divination," he said.

"Great, just what I wanted," she said sarcastically.

"Very funny."

"May I please have my schedule back?" she asked.

An idea sparked in his head.

Serenity saw a glint in his eye.

"Only if I get to kiss you," he stated.

Serenity froze. There was no way that she would do that. She made up her mind, besides; she could always get a copy of her schedule from Snape later.

"No thank you," she replied.

She got up from her seat and made her way to divination class.

Before she could move any further from the table, Malfoy grabbed her arm.

"You aren't getting away that easily," he said before he pulled her in.

He kissed her on her lips. Surprisingly, it was a soft and gentle kiss.

Everyone in the great hall froze. They couldn't believe their eyes.

Was Draco Malfoy actually kissing someone?

Serenity struggled to pull apart from him. After a few seconds of struggling, he let her go. She slapped him on the cheek. Then she grabbed her schedule from his hand and made her way to the North Tower.

The hall was even more silent. They watch Serenity leave and afterwards, Malfoy. A few minutes later, the noise resumed as everyone made their way to their first class of the year.

Serenity raced up the stairs to the tower. After a long run, she finally reached it. When she entered the room she saw that there was only four people in their, five including Luna.

She took a seat near the door. A minute after her arrival, Hermione entered grudgingly.

The professor stood up from her desk and walked around. "Now that everyone has arrived, we shall start," she announced. Hermione raised her hand.

"Excuse me, but this is it?" she asked, boldly, not knowing what she would get herself into.

"Yes, as I told you last night at dinner, there are only few with the inner eye. You six are the only sixth years. Now we shall begin class," she gave Hermione a long, hard stare, daring Hermione to question her authority again.

"I am Professor Luna Mau, but you may call me Luna. I am here to help you use your inner eye. As you know, you are one of the only ones that have it. Now let's begin. First, I want you to pair up into two groups of three. You three and you three," pointed out Luna.

The groups she had chosen were Serenity, Hermione, and Molly, the red head from before. The other three, two girls and a boy made up the other group.

"I want you to foresee your partner's future by reading a fire. Your goal is to predict something that will happen in the near future to your two partners. I grouped you in three's because I only have two fireplaces conjured up so far. Now begin, just focus your energy and chant these words," directed Luna, writing a few words on the chalk board.

The class time flew by quickly. Everyone had successfully made their predictions, but the true test would be if the predictions came true.

"Hermione, in my fire reading you were going to be a victim of one of Peeves's tricks. I suggest you don't go into the Great Hall at seven o'clock sharp, or you'll be trying to get goo out of your hair," predicted Serenity.

"Well, Serenity, I see that you are going to get us points in Charms," guessed Molly.

"Well, Molly, I see that you are going to be in a sticky situation today in Double Potions. Don't you have that next?" asked Hermione. The three were writing their predictions down on a piece of parchment, so they could hand it in to Luna.

The three had become quick friends during class, despite their being in different houses. "Okay class, someone extinguish the fire and hand me the parchment on your way out. Class is over and hopefully your predictions will come true," said Luna. Serenity waved her wand and the fire was gone. She quickly grabbed her things and told Hermione and Molly to go ahead. Serenity waited until everyone was gone to talk to Luna.

"Luna, what are you doing here? I thought Chaos destroyed your star seed," said a puzzled Serenity, as she handed Luna her parchment. "You better sit down Serenity," began Luna, as she motioned Serenity to a chair and took the parchment out of Serenity's hand and placed it with the others.

"Your mother saved me. She had opened a time riff at the cauldron and grabbed my star seed, unfortunately, she also took a piece of Chaos, but she didn't know at the time. She took me to the moon and healed me. Then she brought me here, to Hogwarts, but she didn't want you to know that I was alive; since you were studying magic over the summer. A few weeks after I finished healing, that piece of Chaos made its appearance on the moon. It seems that it has sided with the Dark Lord, Voldemort." On Luna's face was a worried and tired look.

Serenity nodded. 'That explains why I didn't see Luna till now,' she thought. "Perhaps you would like to tell me how you got here?" asked Luna. "Well, after the battle, I was transported to Grandfather's home. Do you remember what I told you in Japan about the grandfather I had here in England?" asked Serenity. Luna nodded. "Well, that's him. He's also a wizard. Mother came to me in a dream. She also explained to me that a part of Chaos was still alive and had sided with the dark lord, Voldemort. She told me to come here to Hogwarts and study magic. That I am the only one who can defeat Voldemort and him. That's all she told me, that and that the star seeds of the senshi have merged with the Silver Crystal.

"When I woke up the next morning I told Grandfather and Uncle about it so they promised to help me learn magic. They were amazed at how fast I was learning. They told me all about the wizarding world and Hogwarts, so that I wouldn't be lost. And last night I had another dream. The senshi and Mamoru's spirit merged with my body. The Outers gave me their weapons, also. They told me they believed in me and that I would defeat the evil and create a whole new future. I guess the future really isn't set in stone, ne?" finished Serenity, who had tears threatening to fall.

"You better get to class. Here, I'll write you a note," offered Luna. She felt sorry for what Serenity had to go through. She would miss her Artemis too. She quickly grabbed a piece of parchment and jotted down a note. "Here you go," said Luna, handing her the note and a tissue. Serenity took the offered items and quickly departed after realizing she would be late.

As Serenity left, she bumped into Luna's next class, who were tired from the long trek to the Tower. Serenity practically flew down the stairs when she saw them, fearing she would be very late. Within minutes, she made it to the dungeons when it would have taken thirty or so minutes, where she had Double Potions. 'I guess waking up late for school everyday and being chased by youmas came in handy,' thought Serena, as she entered the dungeon.

Everyone turned their eyes towards her as she entered. "Sorry Professor, I was talking with Professor Mau about fire readings," she explained as she handed him a note. Snape took the offered note and read it. "Alright Ms. Moon, please take your seat. As I was saying," said Snape. Serenity looked around for an empty seat and saw that Hermione and Molly had saved her a seat right next to them. She gratefully walked over to them and sat down.

"We weren't expecting you for another thirty minutes. I mean you got here about two minutes after us, and you weren't behind us or near us at all," said Molly with awe. "What can I say, I run fast," shrugged Serenity. She quickly took out her potions book and listened to what Snape had to say.

A few desks away, Harry and Ron sat wondering why Hermione had chosen to sit with Slytherins instead of them.