Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 23

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo: Part Twenty-three

"Do we know how badly hurt she was?" Ami Mizuno asked, running a hand through her short blue hair. She looked nervous, this woman who dressed in the simple blue slacks and blouse, standing there with her companion on the landing platform.

Rei Hino shook her head, her mane of black hair swirling. "It was a strike fighter accident," she said grimly, "but other than that, Minako couldn't get much from the Khanite." Her red dress was tight yet comfortable, a color that had always suited her. She scowled, "We don't even have formal diplomatic relations with them, yet."

"We should have gone up to meet her on the station," Ami fretted.

"I hate to say this but I think Erica was right," Rei said with a sigh, "Ran probably would want a bit of time before seeing us."

"It's been nearly three years," Ami said softly, her eyes dark with pain, "how much more time away from us does she need?"

"I wish I knew," Rei admitted.

The slim combat shuttle came down smoothly, settling onto the private landing pad with barely a thump. The access hatch opened and the pilot descended, waiting formally by the door for her passengers. Erica Tenoh came out first, then Princess Usagi and Hotaru then finally... Ran stepped out into the sunlight.

She moved with a slight limp and Ami fought the urge to rush over to her daughter's side. Ran straightened up, the leather clad woman pointedly ignoring her injuries as she walked across the landing pad towards them. As she neared the changes that the girl had gone through gradually became more apparent, the muscle and confidence that she had gained.

"She looks good," Ami whispered.


"That she does," Rei agreed, smiling wryly at the very brief little leather outfit their daughter was wearing. The military honors gleamed on the black, but her eyes were drawn to the scars visible through holes in the garb, still a fierce red.

Ran Mizuno walked up to them, standing there hesitantly, then she offered her hand as she smiled at them weakly and said, "Mothers."

Ami reached out to take that hand then quickly drew her surprised daughter into a quick hug. Careful not to stress her wounds she hugged Ran close to her before finally murmuring in her ear, "I'm glad that you're home."

"Mom!" a fiercely blushing Ran protested once she got free.

Rei offered the girl a smile, shaking her daughter's hand. "She was worried about you," she said to Ran before adding, "so was I."

"Yeah, well," Ran looked away uncomfortably.

"We should get you down to the Palace clinic later," Ami said, finally letting her eyes graze over the scars that now marred Ran's slim body, "accelerated healing should be able to clear that up in a few hours."

"No, thanks," Ran shook her head firmly, "not interested." She surprised her mother with a slight smile, "I know I'm a savage about these things, it's just my way."

Erica moved over to Rei's side as Ami and Ran talked intently, the whole group starting to move off of the platform towards the Palace itself. "You should know that Ran said she isn't staying at the Palace," she said to Rei softly.

Rei visibly winced. "I could have guessed," she admitted, looking over at her daughter with an expression of longing.

"I'm sorry," Hotaru spoke up, her short black hair ruffled by the breeze.

"Not your fault," Rei shrugged. A ghost of a smile flickered across her lips, "Did you and Ran end up fighting again?"

Hotaru actually blushed faintly. "Just like always," she admitted.

"Erica managed to break that up pretty quickly," Usagi offered with a cheery smile, her long pink hair flowing down her back in twin streams.

"Tuxedo Erica strikes again?" Rei asked with a smile.

Erica blushed, "Something like that."

Ami nodded to the young man dressed in a blue hardsuit standing by the door, part of the Palace's exterior guard. "Wonder if any of my old buddies are still in the Hardsuit corps?" Ran said to herself thoughtfully.

"It's certainly possible," Ami admitted. They walked down the hallway in silence a moment, then Ami asked, "Did you need any help in finding a hotel to stay in?"

Ran looked down at her mother in surprise, "I almost thought you were going to try and offer me my old room."

Ami laughed, but it wasn't a terribly pleasant sound. "I'm not quite that foolish, Ran," she said as they reached the lift, pausing to let the others to catch up.

"So how many of the other Senshi are here in the palace?" Ran asked.

"Minako and Makoto are both in residence again," Rei said, frowning slightly as she felt the tension between Ami and Ran. She gave Ran a questioning look, but the girl merely answered her with stony silence.

"Knowing Minako she's informed everyone you're arriving today," Hotaru quietly noted, "so you'd better prepare yourself."

"And the Queen and King of course," Ran murmured. "I wonder if I could slip out of the palace without anyone noticing?" she half joked.

Usagi looked at Ran in surprise, "You really don't want to see them?"

"Yes and no," Ran shrugged uncomfortably, "I like them, don't get me wrong, but it was such a mess when I left home...."

"A mess of your own making," Hotaru commented dryly.

A muscle jumped in Ran's jaw as she tightly clenched it. "I don't need this," she said with a scowl, reaching out for the panel to stop the lift.

"Hotaru, you said you'd behave!" Usagi cried.

Erica gently put her hand on Ran's, stopping her for a moment. "Don't let your temper get the best of you," she murmured softly, "this is a second chance. Don't waste it."

Ran felt her mothers' eyes on her, then slowly drew her hand away from the switch. "You're right," she nodded to Erica as a sigh of relief filled the small compartment.

"I'm sorry," Hotaru sighed as they reached their floor, "that was a cheap shot."

"Yes it was," Ran met her eyes, something dangerous flashing between them as she coldly continued, "and I won't forget it." Hotaru blinked in surprise, clearly expecting a polite accepting of the apology, not that sort of challenge.

"Marvelous," Rei sighed softly, "could we please get going? I think the Queen and the others would like to see us eventually."

Hotaru turned away with a scowl and strode off, the rest of them following down the hall after her. "You do know what Saturn is capable of, right?" Erica hissed to Ran softly, "Are you sure you want to be picking a fight with her?"

"Never say give up, never again," Ran quoted one of her favorite singers with a smile, watching as Usagi reached Hotaru's side. Obviously she was scolding Hotaru from the look on the other girl's face. More seriously she continued, "And I'm not quite the same girl I was when I left three years ago, you know."

Ami and Rei walked together, watching their child and the others thoughtfully. "You know," Ami finally murmured, "I think Ran takes after you."

"God, I hope not," Rei said with a sigh, "I remember more than one time that my stubbornness got me into trouble." She reached out to take Aim's hand in hers, squeezing it gently as she added, "Do you think we can fix things between us?"

"I don't know," Ami admitted, "but I'm hopeful."

Rei smirked as a thought occurred to her, "You know, I think I know why she's so bad tempered. Maybe she needs to get laid?"

"Rei!" Ami scolded.

"Mom!" Ran protested, having overheard.

To be continued....