Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Forty-second Street ❯ Young and Healthy ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary (full): Set in New York City, the year 1933. Nezumi Ryver always dreamed of being in a Broadway musical. But once she meets Alan Booth (a seemingly annoying man at first) she'll be thrown into the business quicker then she thought.

A/N: So this is something I've wanted to try for a while now.. ^_^ So I guess I'll be trying it ne? Anyways this is majorly AU so don't be looking for the normal SM stuff. ^_^ There's parts in this chapter that gets a little rough but I think it'll get better as it goes...

Comments are adored, flames are welcomed, though I wouldn't suggest it. ^_~

Disclaimer: I do not own most of the things in this story... And I'm sharing the plot of the musical Forty-second Street. But I don't own that either ^_~ Besides, that baby has heavy duty copyright on it. ^_^ Basically the only thing I do own is Alan ^_^
~~~~~~~~

"Boss, I've just posted the notice for the auditions," a woman's voice said as she stormed into the office of Arashi Terrea. "People will be showing up within the next half hour. I would assume you have everything set up?"

"Of course I do...not," she muttered.

"I didn't think so," the red head laughed lightly. "That's all right, I don't need the script or anything. We'll just be working on dancing, I've noticed that's how you've had me cast the last few shows... Now that I think about it, you've never had anything ready in time for casting."

"Heh, well we do want this to be a good show right, Kaelin?" the raven haired writer and director asked. "Writing this stuff takes time, it's not like I can just write a bunch of bullshit and expect people to get anything out of it."

"That's true ma'am, but if you don't mind my saying so, you should really consider writing this stuff and finishing it BEFORE you send me out to set up auditions," Kaelin muttered as she turned to walk out of the office.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to cast your show, that YOU don't even have written yet," she walked out and slammed the door behind her.

~~~

"Have you heard?" a voice shouted out through the apartment complex she lived in. "Arashi Terrea's puttin on a show," the woman exclaimed as she worked on putting her dark brown hair back in a low bun. It looked as if she was in a hurry to get somewhere.

With the announcement, slowly heads started popping out of doors, dazed looks in the eyes of many, and glares from the ones who just didn't give a damn. "Are you serious Heather? Arashi is seriously putting on a show?"

"Do you honestly think I'd be in such a hurry if I weren't telling the truth? Come on Minako, hopefully the others heard me. If we don't hurry we'll be late," Heather exclaimed as she finished her hair.

"Speak of the devil," Minako muttered as she watched her friends and a few others come bolting down the stairs, causing her blonde hair-which she had started to push back into a bun-to go flying. "Watch what you're doing you fools!"

"Sorry Minako, but we're just excited," a tall girl with light brown hair exclaimed as all the girls rushed out of the building, towards where the auditions were to be held.

On the way there, they ran into a short girl with dark blonde hair. She muttered something about a disliking towards taller people, which they just ignored, and continued on their way. Besides, they had 5 minutes to get there before they would be considered late.

~~~

"I can't go in there," a girl who looked no older then 19 muttered to herself. "I'm late, and that won't look good," she brushed some of the hair that had fallen out of her tightly rolled up hair out of her gray-blue eyes. "So I guess I'll just sit right here, until I can build up the courage to go in there."

"Say, why are you sitting out here," she heard someone call out to her, and turned her head to see who it was.

"Oh, I was just enjoying the beautiful weather," she lied. A small smile playing on her face. "Besides, why are you out here? Shouldn't you be inside?"

"What gives you that idea Miss..."

"Nezumi is fine," she mumbled.

"Ah yes, Miss. Nezumi... Anyway, what made you think that I should be inside?" he smiled.

"Well, it's just that you look like you were actually coming here to audition," she answered not bothering to look at him yet. "Well, if your not here for the audition, then why are you here?"

"Actually your right, I am here for the audition, but as I was on my way in I noticed you sitting here... So I stopped."

"Oh well, you should go in or your going to be late."

"I'm not too worried about that, besides they won't even notice if we just slip in," he explained, as he pulled Nezumi off the bench. "So now that that's settled, let's get in there."

"W-what? W-wait a minute, how do you know I'm here for the audition?"

"It's obvious, why else would a beautiful lady such as yourself be doing mopping outside a building where there was an audition for the biggest musical in years was taking place?" he asked as he placed an arm around her waist and lightly pushed her inside. "I have a feeling Kaelin will love you!"

Nezumi could only blink up at the man. Here she was, being pushed into an audition by a handsome man she didn't even know. She had to wonder if her day was going to get any better then that. But then she back tracked on the events of the morning, and remembered she didn't know who this person was.

"W-wait just one minute," she scolded. "Who may I ask are you, and why are you so intent to get me in there?"

"Hmm. The name is Alan Booth," he didn't bother to answer the other question.

~~~

"Kaelin, there's someone here I think you should meet," a voice called into the auditioning room.

"What the hell, Alan your late... Again..." the red head muttered, then turned to the group in front of her. "All right, go over those steps I just showed you, I'll be back in ten."

Kaelin stormed out of the room, and into the hall to see Alan and the short slip of a girl. She had to admit to herself that she liked what she saw. But looks didn't account for much in this business. She needed to be sure she had talent before she made any sort of decision.

"Well, do you think you could handle a job in this show?" she asked looking down on the girl.

"Yes, ma'am, I do believe I could do well," she mumbled.

"I'm sorry... What was that?" Kaelin asked in a stern voice.

"I said, I think I can handle it," the shorter of the two announced louder this time.

"Good, now I want to hear you sing something. You'll have to do it solo, you've already missed the voice auditions. By the way, I'd thank your friend here, because normally I wouldn't even consider this, but Alan and I go way back."

"Oh we've already got all of that set up," Alan finally spoke. "We'll be needing Haruka, if that's all right that is," he winked at Nezumi.

"Oh for the love of God Alan, your killing my audition," Kaelin muttered. "You know Arashi won't be pleased when she finds out... Right?"

"Ah, I'm not too worried about that right now..." he replied ushering both women through the door Kaelin had come out of before. "All right," he said then walked over to the piano player and whispered something into her ear. "Everything's set, so I guess we'll begin now."

That was enough to get everyone's attention, and Nezumi suddenly felt nervous. There were at least a hundred people in the room, men and women alike. And this was her first time doing anything like this...

'Dear God please don't mess up,' she thought.

Soon enough Alan was back by her side and the music had started, the only thing left was for Alan to start singing...

'I know a bundle of humanity,
She's about so high;
I'm nearly driven to insanity,
When she passes by.
She's a sunny little honey,
But oh so hard to kiss;
I'll try to overcome her vanity,
And then I'll tell her this:

I'm young and healthy,
And you've got charms;
It would really be a sin
Not to have you in my arms.
I'm young and healthy,
And so are you;
When the moon is in the sky
Tell me what am I to do?

If I could hate "yuh,"
I'd keep away;
That ain't my nature,
I'm full of vitamin "A," say!'

He turned to her and smiled, "Say kid, now you go to it!"

She blinked not remembering where she was or what she was suppose to be doing at that moment... "Go to what?"

He sighed, "your first notes on broadway."

"Ohh! Sorry," she smiled sheepishly then broke out into song.

'I'm young and healthy,
And you've got charms;
It would really be a sin
Not to have you in my arms.
I'm young and healthy,
And so are you;
When the moon is in the sky
Tell me what am I to do?

If I could hate "yuh,"
I'd keep away;
That ain't my nature,
I'm full of vitamin "A," say!

I'm young and healthy,
So let's be bold;
In a year or two or three,
Maybe we will be
Too old.'

~~~

"What is going on in there," Arashi asked as she entered the room, slamming the door behind her. "This isn't a free for all or anything like that! And whose idea was it to let her sing?"

"Why, it was my idea Miss. Terrea." Alan answered beaming with pride.

"I don't have time for this," she muttered as she walked over to Nezumi. "Get outta here kid."

"Yes, ma'am," she said and ran towards the door in tears.

"You didn't need to be so hard on the kid boss. She was actually pretty good," Kaelin muttered.

"It doesn't matter, I just got off the phone with Miss. Tyme, she'll be here any second. I can't have some diva wannabe in here upsetting her. Not that that'd bother me much," Arashi mumbled.

"My point exactly, we need someone who can actually act, and sing, and dance. Boss for once in your life why can't you just tell Suzu no."

"Because, as much as I should, there'd be trouble if I did, and I don't need it."

~~~

"Oh I'm sorry," Nezumi muttered as she ran into someone on her way down the stairs.

"Watch where you're going," a snobby voice said rather loudly.

Nezumi spun around to get a better look at who it was that she'd just walked into, and gasped. "Your Suzu Tyme," she stated dumbly.

"Yeah that's right. Arashi, get this maggot out of my sight. NOW!" Suzu screamed down the hall.

"Right away Miss. Tyme," the raven haired woman said as she ran out of the room Nezu had just came from. "Look kid, I thought I told you to get out of my building. Why are you still here?"

"Well, it's just that..."

"It doesn't matter, I strongly suggest you get out of here."

With a sad nod, and a fresh set of tears, Nezumi continued on her way out of the building.