Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ How About A Cup Of Coffee? ❯ Chapter 2- The Proposition ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Serenity Sea

How About a Cup of Coffee?

PG-13Chapter 2

I was so tired when I typed this up. You had better review.

DISCLAIMER: I own only the characters that you've never heard of. Danyelle and Alison belong to me. The obvious people do not. I don't own Starbucks or any of the drinks, but if anyone wants to give me a lifetime supply of Frap's, I'd be more than willing to accept.

*REVIEW*

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Darien arrived at the board meeting 20 minutes late. After having to go home, change his clothes, and call Andrew to tell him he was going to be late, he realized that he still hadn't gotten his coffee.

Rather than suffering the humiliation of going back to that Starbucks, he drove the extra miles and went past his work to one he'd never gone to-and got his coffee.

(Of course, he compulsively checked the lid about 3 times to make sure it was on, but hey, who's counting?)

But when he stumbled into the conference room, something was still bothering him about the girl in Starbucks. He felt as though he had known her from somewhere. She reminded him of Mina Fuentes, Andrew's girlfriend from home that he was always talking about.

Where did he know her from?

The meeting dragged on and on as he cast about for a memory of one that fit the girl's description so well.

He knew he knew her-he just didn't know from where.

Still not paying attention, the board meeting director, Mr. Dior, asked if they had any nominations for new models.

And it was then that Darien finally remembered who she was.

Jumping up, "Serena Cohen!" He yelled triumphantly.

With raised brows, the directors nodded and looked back at the victorious man. "And why do you think she should be nominated, Mr. Shields?" He spoke respectfully to the 24-year-old because he was the CEO of Shields Modeling and Co.

But Darien, dear readers, was still off in his thoughts: "Of course. With that long, sun-blonde hair, those deep blue eyes, and those teasing lips, who else could she be?"

The board hardly looked surprised at the graphic description, all except Andrew-who knew Serena personally because of Mina-and waited for him to go on.

"And of course those long legs that always got her in those 'klutz attacks'."

Now the board was confused. Long legs were good for their models-but 'klutz attacks'? What were they good for? Oh well. He was the CEO. If he wanted her, he'd get her.

Mr. Dior, getting in the spirit, jumped up as well. "We'll get right on it, Darien."

That snapped Darien out of his walk-no, run-down Memory Lane.

"What?" He asked, snapping to attention, albeit a little late.

Mr. Dior just winked, knowing that the young man was slightly embarrassed at his graphic description of Ms. Cohen. "Don't you worry, sir-we're already on it."

As everyone filed out of the conference room, Andrew walked up to his friend. "Do you have any idea what you just got yourself into?"

Darien sat back in her leather chair and put his head in his hands. "Oh man. This has to be some sort of cosmic joke, right?"

Andrew rolled his green eyes and started to chuckle. "You are in SO over your head."

***

Around 3, Serena got off her shift and waited another half-hour for Mina to punch out. Danyelle was staying the entire day-she wanted to keep her mind off the fact that Darien Shields would probably never set foot in this Starbucks again.

So the cousins left their friend there, climbed in their cars and drove to the apartment they shared.

A fond glance was shared as they looked at the mess.

Clothing was strewn around everywhere, as a result of Mina becoming a full-time model in Andrew's company. (There was someone who backed the company, but Andrew never mentioned it, and despite all of Mina's efforts to get it out of him, they couldn't find out who it was.) Half clean dishes peeked out of the completely full sink and paper plates lay on every surface in their living room.

It was a modest apartment, one they were glad to have, but even they realized when too much mess was too much mess.

Laughing nervously, Serena asked Mina, "I guess we should have cleaned up after the party last night, huh?"

Mina's cheerful reply was a flop on the couch. "Working at Starbucks is so…hard."

Serena smiled. Andrew had given Mina the month off for her to relax before they went to Milan, for a HUGE show that could skyrocket the company's sales. Compared to where everyone catered to your every need, Serena supposed that it was quite a change to where you catered to someone else's needs.

They had waitressed in their brief try at collage, but neither liked it. Serena much preferred specializing in one area, and perfecting that.

Mina just wanted to be worshipped by millions.

In the end, they both got what they wanted, and both blondes were happy. Sitting next to Mina on the couch, looking at the full mirror across from them, Serena was struck, as always, by how much they looked alike. When they were younger, littler kids, she had always brushed it off, but now-there was no denying it-the resemblance was uncanny.

Sure, Mina's hair and eyes were a few shades lighter than her own, but other than n inch or two, Serena realized why everyone always remarked on it.

If Mina's a model, does that mean that I could ever be one…?

She pulled out a pizza crust that had somehow gotten in Mina's hair. "We really need to clean this up, Meens."

Mina softened at the childhood nickname. "Ew." She grabbed a piece of pepperoni off of the front of her hand. "You're right-this is gross."

They got up, turned on some music and started to clean.

After about 5 minutes, Mina got restless and threw an apple core at Serena. Serena reacted and threw it back. Mina was about to fling a paper plate at her, Frisbee style, but the doorbell rang. Their eyes met and Serena realized that she was more presentable of the two.

She was puzzled, but when to answer the door, anyway. When she opened it and saw the courier, Scot, from Mina's job, she was about to call her, but he placed a hand on her arm.

"Serena Cohen?" Scot inquired.

She was stumped and wary. "Yesssss?"

He breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank god. You wouldn't believe where I've been trying to track you down. One broad actually threw a cup of coffee at me! -And it was hot!"

Well, that would explain the brown spot all over his white shirt, she thought, distracted. And then she smiled. Good old Dany. She sure knew how to pick 'em.

"Can I help you?" She finally asked, knowing that she was scaring the poor man with her distracted smiling.

Scot handed her a big, tan envelope. "Er-yes. This is for you. You have to be there tomorrow at 6:00 sharp."

Still shocked as to what could be in the manila envelope, she asked horrified, "In the morning??"

He smiled. "Yup. Boss's orders. Don't know why you have to be there before everybody else, but I 'spose even the boss has his reasons."

"Boss? Mr. Tel?"

He shook his head.

"Oh." Serena realized that this was the name of the person they had been trying to find out. "Well, she is it?" Usually, if you gave out false information, people jumped to correct you. She assumed it was a man. Only one way to find out.

Scot paused in his walk down the carpeted hallway. "He-miss-he doesn't wish to let you know until tomorrow." With a respectful tap on his hat, he entered the elevator, leaving a very dazed Serena standing in the doorway of her apartment.

***

Mina, who had been on the phone with Andrew, knew exactly what was in the envelope and almost bear-hugged Serena. But she walked out of her heavily furnished room and played dumb.

"So who was that?"

"That was Scot, from your work." She walked in, clutching the envelope, looking confused.

"What's that?" Mina asked, pointing to the envelope, knowing exactly what it was.

Slowly, Serena pulled the flap off the large envelope and pulled out a sheaf of paper that had a yellow sticky note attached; obviously handwritten.

Serena-

The boss recommended that you become one of our newest models. The Board of Directors agreed. So you're in. See you tomorrow at 6-I'll be in after you meet the boss. Send my love to Mina… oh, and welcome to the company.

--Andrew

Shocked, Serena handed the packed to Mina-who didn't even bother to read it because she already knew what was in it-screamed loudly and started to jump up and down.

"This is SO cool!" She yelled.

Serena numbly agreed, and let Mina drag her out to the mall to celebrate. She was flattered that the 'Boss'' had chosen her, but bothered by the fact that they just assumed she'd accept.

After picking out and buying a new outfit to wear tomorrow-Mina's treat-she lay in her bad, thinking about what tomorrow would bring.

She was going to be a model.

***

end chapter 2

Yay! There's hope for models everywhere!