Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Ice on Fire ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ice on Fire: Sailor Moon

Part Two



Once she spotted them, Haruka shook her head and sighed. She really was not terribly surprised. She had almost expected them to end up here one of these days. A slightly smiling Haruka walked over and pointed them out to Michiru, first. "Gee, I guess this was a shock," Michiru said dryly.

"I'd better go find Ami." Haruka said. She looked around the room, eventually spotting her talking to someone in the book nook. "Figures." Haruka muttered. She walked over, rather regretfully interrupting Ami's conversation with an good looking if slightly older woman. "It seems you've been followed." Haruka said, pointing over her shoulder to where Usagi, Rei and Minako were sitting.

Ami didn't even look, keeping her back to them. "Let me guess, it's Minako, Rei and Usagi. Right?" Haruka nodded, slightly surprised. "Makoto's too private of a person to do pull something like this." she said harshly, and looked over at their table. The three weren't exactly cowering with terror, in fact they seemed pretty interested in what was going on around them. And a group of butch young women standing nearby looked very interested in THEM.

"We'd better go rescue them." Ami sighed to Haruka, who nodded reluctantly. They picked up Michiru and walked over to the table. Ami and Haruka detoured a moment to warn the butches the new girls were straight, then sat with the very relieved trio.

Haruka and Michiru quickly took their seats, but Ami remained standing, glaring down at her three friends. "Would you mind explaining?" Ami bit out.

Haruka put her hand on Ami's arm. "Grab a seat, and drink your drink, O.K.?" she said quietly. Ami paused a second, then with a soft sigh sat down.

"I'm sorry," Rei said quietly. "I started this, so if you want to be angry, be mad at me." she finished, looking steadily at Ami. Before Ami could say anything to her, the table was suddenly obscured by a long shadow.

"Ah, it's break time!" the bouncer said happily. "Hey, Haruka, Michiru, Ami! How's the night been treating you?" She didn't wait for an answer, and turned and smiled down at Minako. "I'm Bones," she said, "would you like to dance?" Minako looked up at the tall woman for a moment, frozen, then slowly smiled back at her.

"I'd love to." Minako answered, taking Bones' hand. It was a fast number, and in moments Minako and Bones were lost from sight in the midst of the dancing crowd.

Ami sighed. "I guess because I was so mysterious at lunch, you and the others came up with this plan?" she asked. Rei nodded mournfully. Ami tensed a bit. "So now you know," Ami said quietly, "that I'm a lesbian, I mean."

Rei smiled warmly back at her. "If you're happy as a lesbian, then I'm happy for you." she answered.

Usagi still looked like she was mildly stunned, as if she'd been hit on the back of the head. She suddenly hugged Ami, laughing aloud. "I was worried because you weren't dating boys! I'm so happy! Do you have a girlfriend?" Usagi eagerly asked.

Rei laughed. "Slow down, meatball head! Give her a chance to breathe." Usagi blew her a raspberry. "So is this unattainable love a girl?" Rei asked, turning back to Ami.

Ami chuckled. "I'll never tell." she said teasingly.

Haruka grinned, reaching over and tousling Ami's short blue hair. "I told you telling them would be all right! Listen to your elders next time!" Haruka said in a mock scolding tone.

"This from a lady who's been out as long as we've known her. It can be a bit of a surprise if your friend for years and years suddenly up and decides she likes girls." Ami shot back with a smile.

Rei nods. "She has a point. We met you two as a couple, so we just sort of got used to the idea." Rei said. She smiles at Ami, adding "Not that she hasn't been giving us lots of little hints, now that I think about it."

Ami rolls her eyes. "Not that any of you ever caught on to them." Ami replied. Rei blew her a raspberry. Ami returned it, and in moments a tongue war was on.

Michiru rolled her eyes. "Kids," she commented with a smile to Haruka.



Usagi had to leave them first, going out to see Mamoru. Minako had simply not come back after she disappeared to dance and then to parts unknown along with Bones the bouncer, causing raised eyebrows in the remaining group, and a certain amount of speculation. Haruka and Michiru excused themselves once the slow dances started, and Rei and Ami were finally sitting alone.

Ami sipped her drink slowly, and smiled at Rei. "I'm glad you've taken this so well," Ami said as she looked around the room. Rei laughed.

Rei said with a rueful smile "It's not so bad. To be honest, I think we were imagining something worse as we walked up that hallway." Ami raised her eyebrow, looking interested. "I mean... oh, hell. I though you were after a married man." Rei confessed with a sigh.

Ami just gaped at her a minute, her mouth hanging open, making Rei blush. Then she broke out laughing, pointing with a shaking finger while choking out "Married man?!" Rei just sighed again. "Married woman, maybe," Ami said, chuckling, "but not a man!"

"You were being so mysterious." Rei said shrugging. "And speaking of mysterious, who is the lucky lady you have a crush on?" Rei asked suddenly as she looked around the room.

Ami gazed at Rei steadily, watching the play of light in the highlights of her hair. "You," Ami said quietly, without thinking about it. Rei turned to her slowly, eyes wide. `The cat's out of the bag now,' Ami thought as she smiled wryly, and spoke louder, "It's you." She shrugged and smiled.

"You're not joking, are you?" Rei asked Ami quietly. Ami just shook her head, no, too scared to even speak.

"I'm sorry," Ami managed to choke out, but Rei just smiled at her, putting her hand on Ami's comfortingly.

"No, I'm sorry." Rei said quietly but forcefully. She looked at Ami with those piercing eyes, saying "I haven't treated you very well, have I?" She suddenly blushes, remembering how she changed in front of her this morning.

"You didn't know." Ami said, smiling at her tentatively. "Would you like something to drink?" Ami changed the subject, and headed for the lineup at the bar. Rei's eyes followed her as she left, her thoughts whirling.

Ami carried the drinks over and placed them down on the table, and taking a seat. "I'm not quite sure how I feel, Ami, " Rei said quietly, looking down at the table. "I've known you for such a long time, and I'm definitely not used to thinking about you in a sexual way." she continued, blushing. Ami opened her mouth to speak, and Rei shushed her. "But I care a lot for you, and today I realized that it may not just be friendship."

Ami's eyes widened. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?" she asked softly.

"I'm still up in the air, Ami." Rei cautioned her. "But I'd like to find out. Would you like to go out with me on a date?"

Ami laughed softly. "Not like today, please!" she said dramatically. The two shared a laugh over the day's events. "How about I take you out to dinner, we do some dancing, and see what develops?" Ami suggested hopefully.

"I'd like that." Rei said smiling.