Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Ice on Fire ❯ Christmas ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ice on Fire: Christmas

One of the things Ami Mizuno had found herself adapting to in loving Rei Hino was her attitude towards certain holidays. Now as a shrine maiden Rei observed the traditional Shinto festivals, of course and like many Japanese also participated in Christmas, but unlike most Rei took it a bit more seriously than average. Ami supposed it was the Catholic girls school that did it to her, but she didn’t mind too much.

“Merry Christmas,” Minako Aino hugged Rei, then Ami, the blonde’s eyes twinkling with hidden mirth.

Her lover Setsuna Haruna hid a smile as the older woman noted, “You might want to open our present when Rei’s Grandfather isn’t around.”

“That bad?” Rei raised her eyebrows but Minako just smirked.

“Thank you for the meal,” Usagi laughed, the blonde hugging both impulsively.

Mamoru smiled, the black haired man shaking Rei’s hand as he said, “It’s been fun.”

There was always a odd reserve between Rei and Mamoru, though Ami wasn’t sure they even noticed it anymore. He was Rei’s first real boyfriend, no matter how things eventually turned out, and that history still lay between them.

Rei smiled as she hugged Makoto and murmured, “Thanks for helping make the food, Mako. I don’t know what we would have done without you and Haruna.”

“Thank you for inviting us,” Makoto smiled back, her girlfriend by her side.

Ami tiredly leaned against the wall as they watched the couples leave, each carrying their girts and having left their own behind. “I wish Haruka, Michiru, Setsuna and Hotaru could have come over,” she admitted.

Rei stretched out tiredly as the black haired woman noted, “Well, now that Juri’s moved in I bet they’re having a busy Christmas.” She chuckled, “Besides, we’ve all been invited over there tomorrow too.”

“True,” Ami admitted as she paused in the doorway. “What do you think we got?” she wondered, the blue haired girl’s eyes lingering on Rei as she neared.

Rei chuckled softly, smiling as she drew Ami close into a lingering kiss.

“What was that for...?” Ami gasped, feeling her heart racing a bit.

Rei winked as she pointed upwards, “You were standing under the mistletoe.”

“Rei!” Ami blushed, moving away.

Rei laughed happily as they stacked up the gifts they had received under the tree, planning to open them tomorrow morning. “Knowing Usagi she got me manga,” Rei admitted, “I’m not sure what she got you.”

Ami smiled fondly as she thought of their leader and future queen, a woman who could be so heroic at one moment and totally scatterbrained the next. “And I probably got a medical text,” she nodded.

Rei moved over to take her hands, “We’ll find out in the morning when we see what else Santa brought.”

Ami firmly made herself not say anything about the non-existence of Santa. “I guess so,” Ami admitted as she slid a arm around Rei’s waist.

Rei gave Ami a curious look, “What are you thinking?”

With a little blush Ami murmured in Rei’s ear, “I have a present here in my arms I’d like to open early.”

Rei turned a little in Ami’s grip as she kissed her once more, lingering tenderly. “Oh I don’t know,” she purred, “have you been naughty or nice?”

“Naughty, I think.” Ami grinned.

“Then I think we’ll have to have a long talk about that,” Rei chuckled as they headed through the living room, down the hall and into her bedroom.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Good morning!” the voice jerked both women from their sound sleep as Grandpa called from the other side of the paper door, “It’s Christmas morning!”

Ami winced, the alcoholic beverages from last night having left a tell tale gift of a pounding headache. “I think he’s more enthusiastic about it than you are,” she muttered as they reluctantly pulled apart and began to look for their clothes.

“Well, Mother was fond of Christmas too,” Rei admitted a little sadly while she picked up her bra and pulled it on hurriedly, unsure if her grandfather might come in if he became impatient enough with them.

“Ah,” Ami nodded, mentally filing that fact away.

Both dressed and as tidied up as it was possible to be Ami and Rei headed out, coming in to the living room to see Grandfather eagerly dividing up the gifts for them. “He’s like a little kid,” Rei murmured to Ami with fond amusement.

“I am not,” the older man laughed as he explained, “I just want to see all the goodies those girls left me.”

“Why am I not surprised....” Ami smiled as they watched him indulgently a moment.

“Ah, Rei,” Grandpa added a bit more seriously, “it came in the mail too.”

“Oh,” Rei replied quietly.

“It?” Ami looked between them in confusion.

Rei’s lips twisted bitterly. “My Father’s present,” she explained dryly, “usually money since he can’t take the time to find out what I actually want.”

“I’m sorry,” Ami squeezed her hand gently.

“It’s all right,” Rei shrugged as she opened up the courier envelope, “I’m used to it.” Inside was the expected money and a note from him, surprisingly wishing both Rei and Ami a Merry Christmas.

“He know about you two?” Grandpa raised a eyebrow, “I figured he’d object.”

Rei shook her head, “Father is the best at spin, he’d figure a way to play it to do the least damage to himself. It’s his way.”

Ami decided Rei needed a distraction and picked up Minako’s gift. “Let’s see....” she shook it gently and was surprised as it buzzed loudly, shaking hard enough that she dropped it. Still buzzing it vibrated across the floor, then the festively wrapped box was still.

“Minako?” Rei tentatively touched the box.

“Minako,” Ami agreed. “I can see why Setsuna told us to open it when we’re alone.”

“Is that what I think it is?” Grandpa asked, blushing faintly.

“Knowing Mina, probably yes,” Rei shook her head, fighting back a grin.

End...

Notes: Just a short Christmas bit on the alternate Sailor Moon cast. Ties loosely into Arisugawa’s Locket too, possibly after Juri gets serious with Setsuna.