Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Kiss and Tell ❯ A Bird in Hand ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kiss and Tell



         Chapter Four:
         A Bird in Hand.

        Ami

Forgive me if this sounds clichéd but do you ever have the feeling that you are being watched? I hate that feeling more than anything on the planet. Ignoring the feeling I continued to pick up various tomes off of the shelves for a bit of light reading. Okay so each of the books weight about five pounds each but if I am left undisturbed for a day I could finish these before the afternoon is out. I have read all of the books in this library concerning anything of fact, logic, medicine, philosophy, religion; just about anything that would advance my knowledge, clearly avoiding fiction, not out of personal distaste but out of upbringing.

Every planet, just like people, has its' strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. My home world of Mercury was, and still is, a world that was industrious and loved knowledge more than life itself. Being one of the royal court I was trained not in physical combat but mental warfare, nine times out of ten the mind can and will beat brawns; when it comes to a critical battle wits are very important. So imagination and fiction was highly discouraged, why cloud the mind with fantasy when it could be put to better uses? I believed that religiously until I ran out of books to read and ended up having to read books that I must have skimmed over a thousand times. Then Mina, whom actually likes to read on occasion, shocker isn't it; introduced me into fiction, romantic fiction of course.

The first book she recommended to me had me blushing so bad that I had to put it down before I could even finish reading it. After that I made Mina swear not to recommend any books that contented even a hint of erotica; if my mother only knew that one of my best friends tried to soil my mind with that sort of stuff. Mina was disappointed at the request, saying that it would severely limit my choices in reading, but gave in and gave me a list of some "clean" romances.

One such was a copy of Romeo and Juliet, I have read that one at least thirty times; knowing my luck that book is probably the source of my crush on Lord Zoicite. Hopefully it won't get so bad that I would willingly stick a dagger into my chest, but you never know, love does strange things to logical minds; that is probably the reason why such fiction is banned from my home world.

I have decided to branch out and at least try to read some of the more intense novels, but I am not making any promises. Maybe that is why I think I am being watched, I am afraid that someone might catch me and recognize one of the titles of the books. God, that would be so embarrassing if Zoicite were to catch me reading such, I would never be able to look him in the eye again, well I don't do that now but if I don' t now then I certainly wouldn't be able to do if he caught me reading such material. Or maybe I am imagining that my mother is going to suddenly appear and scold me for even thinking about reading novels, I couldn't help but giggle at that thought.

"Oh Ami, you had better put that naughty book down young lady," a feminine voice scolded.

My heart froze, for a moment I actually thought that it was my mother, until I heard not one but two sets of girlish giggles. I turned my head to find the source only to find myself laying flat on my back thanks to Mina's infamous glomp attack. She sat on my chest, picking up the book that had flew out of my hand when she had attacked me. She flipped through the pages, her baby blue eyes scanning for a certain page. Finding it she grinned, holding the book to her chest, "I remember this book. It is one of my favorites." She lifted the book up so that I could read the chapter that she found.

After reading a few sentences my face turned a dark tomato, I think I have gotten in over my head. After I finished reading it Mina passed it up to Makoto.

She read the same page and smiled devilishly, "Oh bad Ami-chan, you should know better than to read such books."

I frowned about to toss a remark at Makoto that I was no different than she was until Mina snatched the book from Makoto and actually began to read the passage aloud, quite loudly I might add and if that wasn't enough she was playfully acting out the actions in the book.

"He tenderly stroked her face, his fingers brushed against her lips, pausing to allow his thumb to tease the pouting pink fold."

Mina's hand finger rested right at my lips, her thumb paused on right at the part. Gods she is so immature.

"He stared deeply into Ami's dark blue eyes," she changed the name of the heroine of the book on purpose. "Strawberry golden locks fell across her cheek," changed the hair color of the love interest.

"Dark emerald green eyes seeking permission for further exploration."

"That is enough Mina!" I yelled, only to blush in embarrassment because I could hear my voice echoing in library.

Having accomplished her task in embarrassing me Mina got off of my chest; I pity the man who ends up marrying her.

As soon as I got to my feet I was bombarded, thankfully not by Mina again, but questions from the blonde and brunette.

"So Ami, Mina told me that you have had a pretty interesting week." Makoto said coyly.

I glared at Mina whom was trying her best to appear innocent.

I sighed, "Let me guess, Mina told you about the dare that she gave me and she enlisted your help to pump information out of me."

Both Makoto and Mina shook their heads, "No it is nothing like that Ami." Mina said

Silence

"Okay so maybe you did hit a bit close to home. Look Ami we just want to know what happened." Makoto admitted.

I shrugged my shoulders, hoping to convey a nonchalant stance, despite my intensely blushing face. "I just kissed him that was all. Nothing more nothing less."

"He didn't say anything to you? Didn't he even ask you why you kissed him?" Mina asked skeptically.

At this point I became nervous, I couldn't tell them that I had botched things up and had kissed the wrong guy, even though the kiss was good regardless. But I couldn't blatantly lie either.or could I?

"He didn't say anything." I said shortly as I began picking up my books. "And in case you are wondering I didn't say anything to him either so you guys really didn't miss much."

Both Makoto and Mina gapped.

"Hold on Ami, you mean to tell me that you kissed Zoicite and didn't even tell him how you felt?" Makoto replied.

"I was trying to help you Ami!" Mina whined. "The least you could have done was smirk and say, "Guess what I have a crush on you," or something!"

At this time my face was so red from blushing that I was afraid that it would melt off my head. "I.I am not like you guys. I am not pretty, or courageous, or even remotely interesting. I didn't want to get hurt by telling him that I liked him only to get rejected." I confessed.

Mina sighed and threw her hands up in the air, "It is official. You, Lady Ami princess of the Mercury court and guardian of the Princess, are impossible!"

"It is true though, I have nothing to offer Zoicite; so it is best that my secret crush on him remains as such." I replied piteously but Mina and Makoto being well them were not going to allow me to wallow in self-pity.

"He must like you at least a little bit otherwise he would have would have said something about." Makoto began.

I shook my head, "No Zoicite is gentleman, he wouldn't.at least I don't think that he would drag anyone's reputation through the mud just to make himself seem bigger."

Both girls stared at me for a moment, before they shook their heads in disbelief.

"You are really a piece of work Ami." Mina said with a sigh.

"I have a question for you Ami." Makoto said.

I was getting kind of tired of being bothered about the subject of me and my crush; I was also getting worried that I might slip up accidentally and confess that I it wasn't Zoicite that I had kissed. But I couldn't just brush my friends off either so I just shrugged my shoulders, "Ask away Makoto." I replied.

She paused for a moment; the expression on her face was a mix of concern and calculating, almost as if she was worried that what she had to say might offend me.

"Are you in love with him?" she asked suddenly.

At that question I felt my face heat with a blush and my head feel kind of lightheaded. "To be honest, I don't know. I have never felt this way about anyone before."

That was the honest to Kami truth because when I was growing up on Mercury I was more concerned with studying and being the best more than I was concerned with boys "liking" me. Even when I arrived at the Moon Palace to be a part of Usagi's court I didn't really care much about normal "girly" stuff like make-up, fashionable shoes and clothing, considering them all a waste of energy and time. And since "love" and "crushes" were a common topic among most of the young ladies of court I thought such things as time wasting nonsense but now.I am just not certain anymore.

"Besides what does it matter if I love him or not?" I asked as I turned to place a few books back on the shelves; maybe a good old textbook can help me sort out the mess that once was my organized and intellectual mind.

"It matters because, well you never know, he might just like you in return." Makoto returned.

Oh yes I am so sure that Zoicite would just instantly fall in love with a timid bookworm who couldn't "sexy" her way out of paper bag. Both girls must have noticed the disbelieving and bored expression on my face because they just looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders. Knowing that they were not going to get anymore out of me they said a brief goodbye at last leaving me to my books. At last, again I love my friends like sisters but I am not one for deep friendships, preferring the comfort of my books and solitude. Hmm maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I am so anti-social that Zoicite, whom seems to be apart of just about every single social circle and is always in on the current gossip of who's who etc.

This revelation does me no good though because I am slow in changing my habits especially when I feel comfortable with them, but if being more open and sociable is what it will take to get Zoicite's attention than so be it. Yes, I can be a social butterfly, if I work really hard at it that is.

I'll start first thing tomorrow, the books lying in my arms are just begging for me to read them. Curling up into my favorite armchair, the books resting on a coffee table. I glanced around to see if anyone was around, noticing that I was alone I slipped off my shoes and placed them on the table, no big deal to most but if only my mother knew she would throw a fit; 'a proper lady shouldn't show off her feet in public.' Sorry mum but your daughter's feet are killing her besides it couldn't hurt just this once.

Reclining back in the chair; probably forcing thousands of wrinkles into my dress, this would make Mina and my mother would have a cow. But I am all alone; yes just my books, Lord Kunzite and me.

.What?

I feel my body just freeze up completely. There standing less than a foot away from my chair is Lord Kunzite. What is he doing here?! Yes, I know that the library doesn't belong to me but he can't be here, not when.oh kami.

How long has he been here?

At first he just stands there, almost like a lifeless statue just placed inside the library; a statue that can scare me witless. I swear I don't know what it is about him but I always feel so small, okay so I am kind of on the short side, but I am talking micro sized.

He is a really strange person that gives me the creeps; that is all that I need to know about him and that's final. But it would be nice to know why he is just standing there looking like well an idiot.

        Kunzite

'Stop standing around like an idiot and talk to her!' I mental berate myself.

No good, my feet refused to budge from the floor.

I had hoped to catch her alone so that we could talk, that in it self a difficult feat since she acts so skittish around anyone male, or so Zoicite told me, plus that fact that we don't even know each other very well. Upon entering the library I found Ami right off the bat. Her arms were loaded with books, unaware that two princesses were watching her. Before I could even blink the blonde princess pounced on Ami. Okay.have I missed something? It doesn't stop there, she picks up one of the book that Ami dropped and begins reading it aloud while at the same time stroking Ami's face and lips. At first I didn't know what to make of it, actually I did but I would rather not mention it; but then I saw Ami call the girl off. The blonde and brunette princess smiled at each other as if it was some sort of private joke.

I had to get closer since I couldn't hear what they were saying from where I was standing. Carefully I edge away from the entrance of the library and slide in and out of the endless shelves of books until I pause at the aisle just in front of Ami and her friends.

"He didn't say anything to you? Not even why you kissed him?" the blond asked Ami. At that comment Ami fidgeted almost like a child getting caught in a lie.

"He didn't say anything to me. And just for the record I didn't say anything to him either."

The other princesses stared at their small blue haired friend in disbelief.

Have I been misjudging Ami all along? Is she really interested in me instead of another? I withheld a smug grin but the next sentence wiped away all thoughts of smugness.

"Hold on Ami, are you telling me that you kissed Zoicite and didn't even tell him how you felt about him?" the brunette asked.

Zoicite? Zoicite?!

Figures. I miss the next few sentences of verbal tennis since I was too busy bashing my head against the bookshelves.

Not to be cynical but I should have known, if Lady Ami wasn't after the prince than Zoicite would be the next likely candidate. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!

"Are you in love with him?"

That random question stopped me in mid head pounding.

Looking at the small group between the gaps of the shelves I can see Ami become flustered again while the other two look at her eagerly awaiting an answer from her.

"To be honest, I don't know. I have never felt this way about anyone before." Ami replied.

I snorted, that makes two of us, not for the same person thankfully. Would it kill Fate to give me a break? I am serious, the one girl that I actually find semi-attractive and worth my time is chasing after Zoicite.

"Besides what would it matter if I love him or not? Ami asked, her voice sounding dulled and hallow.

She is lucky that Zoicite hasn't shown any interest in her; he goes through women like you wouldn't believe, and some of those break ups were pretty nasty with a few reputations being soiled. But even as I think about such things I wonder, what are my intentions for Ami? I shake my head, first things first; I have to get her attention away from Zoicite. Normally I would give her up but I find it all but impossible to not think about her so I don't want to imagine giving up on her so easily. Friend or not Zoicite can get his own women without them being infatuated with him.

I look up just in time to see Ami's friends leave her. Finally she is alone. But what do I say to her?

"Hi, um you might not remember me or not but do you remember about a two nights ago when you kissed me. Oh you do, well I was just wondering if you would mind if I court you"

No, too awkward, hell is there anyway to make this situation not seem awkward?

Think of something.

But my legs seemed more intent on following Ami around rather than allowing my brain the energy it needed to think.

So I ended up here, standing in front of Lady Ami looking like a complete idiot.

Think stupid, think! It can't be too hard to strike up a conversation with her, I am twenty-seven for gods sake, not some thirteen year old boy. It feels like I am thirteen though, only I am a lot taller; I don't know what to say let alone what to do, should I just stand here, sit down? Aw hell.

"Is there.anything that I can help you with Lord Kunzite?" she asked softly, her blue eyes seeming to be more focused on the title of the book in her hand than me. "Romeo and Juliet", funny I would really never think that she would like Shakespeare but this is same girl whom mistaken me for Zoicite. Come to think of it I never did understand why she was wearing a red ribbon like a blindfold. No, must stop rambling; come on think of something to say to her!

"Good morning Lady Ami," okay not brilliant but it is a start.

She nodded, "Good morning to you my lord."

Enter uncomfortable silence.

"Um will you sit down? Or do you have somewhere else to be?" Ami asked.

Without even answering her question I sat down in the chair across from hers. Briefly I noticed her abandoned shoes sitting at the side of the table between us; I look up to see her gaze falling where mine just left, her cheeks flared red with embarrassment.

"Do you like Shakespeare?" I asked suddenly trying to strike up a conversation; only after the words left my mouth did I realize how dumb that sounded.

She hesitantly nodded, "Yes and no actually. I have one read "A Mid Summer nights Dream and Romeo and Juliet but I have heard that his other works are very good. His plays are genius in their emotion into the characters, as well as give them their own qualities and traits; but at times he seems to over use metaphors and flowery language. For example the "balcony scene" when Romeo and Juliet first formally meet."

Suddenly she stops, her eyes downcast almost as if she was embarrassed for talking so adamantly and animated about this subject. I want her to keep talking, even though I never had a great interest in books I have read the classics, including Shakespeare, so it was entertaining just listening to her pick the author's style apart.

"Go on I am listening," I said.

She looked up at me as if I was crazy. Then she shocked me by asking, "Why are you here?" her blue eyes narrowed slightly in suspicion. Oh no, I am glad Zoicite warned me that she was a bit critical about people.

"I actually came to talk to about."

"I..if it is about what happened a few nights ago, I am very very sorry about that." Lady Ami muttered softly.

"Why?" I inquired. Should I tell her that I enjoyed it; that I wouldn't mind kissing her again if given the opportunity?

Her hands visibly trembled, her voice sounding like it would shake too if she wasn't trying so hard to remain calm, "I um it was a mistake. Again I am really sorry, I know that I shouldn't have even been in your rooms but I."

"You were there to see Zoicite," I said, even I noticed the cold tone the words carried.

She blinked, "How do you know?" she whispered.

I couldn't tell her that I overheard her and her friends talking about it just a few minutes ago. Besides I was slowly forming a plan that would not only "win" her over but also keep her out of Zoicite's reach.

Immediately I slipped into the cold apathetic expression that I used when I am training the guards for the Golden Kingdom.

"Zoicite isn't the only one whom is well informed." A blatant lie, I know hardly anything about what goes on in the Lunar Court; I didn't even know her name until last night.

"It is no secret that you are in love with Zoicite," I allow a smirk to cross my lips, true that I am fond of Lady Ami but I get a shameless glee out of exploiting people's weaknesses.

"But I am sure that you realize that you are not the only woman whom is interested in him. You should see all of the women that flock around him, quite a harem he had collected in just the short month that he has been here."

I can tell just by looking at Ami's guarded expression that I have struck a nerve, now all I have to do is pluck at that nerve until it snaps.

"Some of his "harem" are older and a few more well-endowed, physically or financially, if you know what I mean, than you are. So if you were to attempt to get his attentions unaided; your chances of actually getting noticed by him are pretty slim to say the least."

"What do you want?" she all but growled at me. Ah, so she does have a spine.

The smirk grows into a cold smile, "My only wish is to help you Lady Ami."

A slender blue eyebrow is quirked, "Oh really?" she replies sarcastically. "Nothing you say? Do you really think me that naive as to believe that you only want to help me "attract" Zoicite with nothing in return?"

I am really enjoying this little game of ours; sadistic I know but at least I am not stumbling over my words like an idiotic schoolboy, and sarcasm suits her so well that it is not even funny.

I raise my hands in mock surrender, "I admit it, you've caught me red handed princess. There is one thing I want but first I need to know if you are willing to accept my offer of help."

She sniffed, "It depends on the how you plan on "helping" me and the conditions of this.partnership."

I know Zoicite told me that she is very smart but watching her trying to pick my plan apart just as she had done Shakespeare is fascinating.

"First condition, my reward of sorts will be mentioned in due time. Second condition: You can back out of our "deal" at anytime but under the threat that your reputation will be fed to the vicious rumor hounds. Third condition, you are not to breathe a word of this to anyone even your chummy little "girlfriends". Anything you wish to add I will listen to now." I finish.

She glared at me at first before replying, "I can't agree, let alone make conditions to some plan that I don't even know anything about." Ami said dully.

"That is the best part of the deal." I replied.

Another skeptical rise of her eyebrow, "How so?"

"Again it is no secret that Zoicite likes, correction loves, women; but what he loves more than an available woman is one whom he can seduce even though she is already spoken for. Understand?"

Realization dawned on her face for a moment but there was confusion as well: "I have heard rumors of that, but I still don't see what that has to do with us."

"Think about it. You may not get noticed now because you are currently unattached. But if I were to court you than Zoicite would not only notice you plus he will more than likely wish to pursue you rather than you wasting your energy pursuing him and fighting off the numerous chapters of his fan club."

There is a long pause with Ami trying hard not to fidget.

"Let me get this straight, are you suggesting that I allow you to "court" me?"

"Correct."

"But you won't actually be courting me, your only doing it to help me get closer and noticed by Zoicite right?"

I nodded.

She bit her bottom lip, "No offence but doesn't that seem a bit complicated?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I prefer to call it "complex". You could always do it the hard way but as I said before you don't stand a chance. And you really have nothing to lose; if we pull this off effectively Zoicite will be all but begging to court you, if we fail than at least he will know that you exist so it will be a chance of Fate after that. So do we have a deal?" I asked offering my right hand.

She paused, staring at my offered hand before offering her own conditions.

"Number one, we don't do anything too drastic like kissing in public, holding hands,"

"You want to make this believable don't you?" I inquired.

She nodded weakly.

"Then I suggest we do those things; if we don't show at least some affection for one another than people will talk and our plan will be ruined before it is set into action. But to honor your request we will do such things sparingly."

She reluctantly agreed, which I was grateful since that little condition would ruin the plan. After that she took my hand and gave it a firm shake.

"We have a deal Lord Kunzite." Ami said.

"I think that considering our situation we can despise with the titles, Ami."

She glanced at me, "For some reason I think you are enjoying this too much," she grumbled.

She has no idea.

"Trust me Ami, this is strictly business between us."

Ha, yeah right.