Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Kiss and Tell ❯ Killing Two Birds With One Stone ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kiss and Tell



         Chapter Three

         Killing Two Birds With One Stone.

        Ami

Not knowing what to do with the flower I merely tucked it in my hair right above my left ear. At that moment one of the healers entered the room, I am suppose that she is the same one that had spoken with Zoicite the evening before because she smiled with recognition upon entering the room.

"Good morning Lady Ami. I trust that you slept well," the woman asked softly with professional kindness.

I nodded in reply, "Yes I did. Thank you so much." I slung my feet over the bed, trying not to take notice how heavy my gown from last night felt, the silk is probably ruined; but it is no big deal compared to the fact that I could have died last night because of the stupid frilly thing. I arose from my bed without assistance from the nurse whom was making up my bed in my wake. I was about to walk away but something stopped me. In the back of my mind I wondered if Zoicite had left the flower, could he have possibly left another message so before I could stop myself I asked the nurse if someone had either visited me last night while I was sleeping or if someone had left a message for me.

The woman pursed her lips in thought for a moment but then her face alighted with realization. "Oh yes Lady Ami, several people in fact came to visit you last night."

"Several?" I asked but then felt stupid for asking since I knew that she must have been talking about Usagi and the girls. Stupid, I should have known better, he wouldn't have come back just to leave a flower. But then how did it get here?

I suddenly realized that the nurse was still talking to me.

"Four young ladies, one of them Princess Usagi and it think the rest were her guardians, an older couple was with them, Lord Artemis and Lady Luna I believe. Then two gentlemen came by, one of them the man from last evening and the other one I didn't recognize, but they both came earlier this morning so I turned them right back from where they came from." she paused to shake her head. "I am afraid that I had to send the girls away as well since they were too loud that they would have woken you up if I had allowed them in."

Two men came? One of them was Zoicite, but who was the other one? I quickly brushed that thought away since I really didn't want to try to solve a pointless mystery, now that I know that Zoicite had come back and given me the flower and the sweet/corny card. Despite having survived a near death experience I felt wonderful, he really did care about me, maybe not love but enough to check up on me and even leave me a flower.

After leaving the infirmary I headed up to my rooms to change out of my ruined silk dress and into a looser less former gown of ice blue and low heeled shoes; honestly I don't see how Rei and Makoto can run around in high heels let alone walk in them, without getting killer blisters. I gently placed the flower back in my hair before I leave my room. I head down to the grand hall for a late breakfast, actually if I were Usagi it would be an early breakfast. As I dismount the long and winding staircases I start to grow nervous while trying to sort out my thoughts and feelings about Zoicite and the flower perching in my hair. What could it mean? Nothing probably, but even as I try to convince myself this fact I can't push back hope slowly growing until it feels me with a giddy almost school girl kind of joy.

This joy lasts until I enter the great hall because upon crossing the threshold I find the tables full with not only the Princess Usagi and the other girls but also the Prince of Earth and his guards, among them was Zoicite were eating in the hall as well. I could feel a hot blush rising to my cheeks as I skirted past the table to reach the table that my friends were sitting at.

As soon as I sat down I was bombarded with several concerned female voices, as well as few complaints on how those stuck up healers kept them from visiting me. I was polite and soft spoken to the group, thanking for their concern and apologizing for causing them to worry. It started off as a typical morning, with the partaking of breakfast and seemingly endless chatter that surrounded the room. I picked up my goblet filled with orange juice as I allowed my mind to wander aimlessly about the room. My gaze kept drifting from my friend's to the table across from us where the nobilities of Earth sat.

Since last month; when it was announced that Princess Serenity was engaged to Endymion, the prince of Earth; the Terairan Royals had made the Moon their second home. They say that it is for the prince and princess to get to know each other better; but I think that most of the men from the court prefer the sampling of the more.exotic variety of women that the Moon has to offer, but since I am not suppose to know about such things I am not really sure if that is true or not.

Which reminds me. My face flushes red as I recall the delicate flower that I had placed in my hair. Without thinking my left hand reaches to gently touch the velvety soft petals. I wonder.again without thinking my gaze becomes more focused on the table, more specifically where the prince's personal guardsmen are sitting. Slowly my gaze goes down the table, even while I try to convince myself that I was NOT trying to catch Zoicite's eye I looked down the table until my eyes did clash against another's only it wasn't Zoicite's dark emerald green but cold steel grey.

I bit back a squeak as I quickly turned my head away from that table all together. I swear, I don't know what it is but something about Lord Kunzite scares me to death! Maybe it is because of that one incident. Oh no, I quickly try to stifle the blush that I think is already beginning to redden my checks. Turning my gaze to a safer location, i.e. the remains of my breakfast I try to distract all of my thoughts away from both Kunzite and Zoicite. Two people whom couldn't be any more opposite nor could my feelings towards them couldn't be any more different. One I fear and feel intimidated by and the other I would love with all of my heart if given the chance that is. But I know that will never happen; let's face it people denial is a wonderful place to visit but I for one wouldn't want to take up residence there. However there is still a question that consumes all thoughts.what if?

"Ami-chan are you feeling alright?" a soft voice asks me.

Lifting my head I find myself staring into the deep blue compassionate eyes of Princess Serenity. A blush creeps into my cheeks when I realize that now that Serenity has shown concern for me the others are now staring at me.

"I am fine Serenity," I reply in a tone just barely above a whisper.

She seems to accept my answer but still seems concerned, but breakfast calls and as much as I love Serenity like a sister food always comes first in her book. Besides there is no reason that she needs to worry about me, nope I am just fine since I am only trying to keep my dignity and sanity in tact at the same time.

Suddenly I overhear a whispered conversation between Mina and Lita; normally I am not one to eavesdrop on other people's conversations, finding it distasteful and rude but I can't help but be curious about what they are talking about since Mina is trying hard not to giggle like crazy.

Lita catches me staring but instead of scolding me she just laughs and her and Mina wink at one another. I am not sure but I think that those two are up to something. I shrug my shoulders, whatever their topic of conversation is I suppose that it wouldn't concern me, probably some hot young man that they had spotted at the party last night or something along those lines. After breakfast I left to retreat to the library instead of attending the rest of the celebrations. Leaving the room I could have sworn that I was being watched but I guess that it was only my imagination.

        Kunzi te

Is twenty-seven too early to have a mid-life crisis? Zoicite thinks that it is the perfect age; at least for me, or so he says. Ever since we arrived on the Moon to celebrate the engagement of the lunar princess and our prince, Zoicite has been relentlessly trying to "set me up" with women I hardly know. Most of them were either too stupid to even be considered human or too self absorbed to be remotely interesting. And being the honest, most say blunt, person that I am I normally end up "offending" the courtesans by stating the truth; there by making these dates complete disasters. All in all this had been a boring and very uncomfortable stay on the Moon for me; until a few nights ago.

Strange, instead of Zoicite bringing the girl to me, she just threw herself at me. There I was sitting at the desk, finalizing a report to send to the king upon our return home then I felt two hands clasp themselves to my knees. Before I could even recover from the shock this figure jumped out from under the desk and latched itself to me. My first reaction was to push away the attacker, whom was more than likely some sort of assassin intending to kill my prince, but then I realize that instead of plunging a knife into me the "attacker" was.kissing me.

I opened one eye to see a blue head of hair, a small feminine body clothed in rich silks; this is strange, I think a kissing assassin would have made more sense than this.

Well assassin or not this was very uncomfortable, not to mention compromising if anyone were to walk in about now. I wanted to push her back but something stopped me. As awkward and strange as it was this felt.nice.

Since she wasn't very inclined on budging, I thought "why not". I kissed her back, it wasn't until after our lips meet mutually that I realized what a mistake this was. The kiss was addictive, which was odd since it wasn't seductive or even experienced, it was innocent in a way, but that made it so much sweeter. I had to have more of it. I tried to apply more pressure, trying to coax her into opening her mouth just a little but she was unwilling to give more instead she was coaxing in her own way by pushing against me. Unwilling to let her think that she is winning I dip her towards the desk instead of leaning against the wall. It wasn't until our lips parted to take in oxygen that I realized that she had at some pointed wrapped her slender arms around my neck. I also realize just who, or rather her status, that I am kissing. One of the princesses!

Damn, they are off limits to us because we are of lower rank than they are!

If word get out about this.

Her hand moves to remove the blindfold. Without thinking I grasp her wrist; if she has mistaken me for a man of higher rank I am as good as dead; I should have know that this was too good to be true.

But even as I think this our lips gravitate to one another again. This time she is sitting on the edge of the desk while I am bending down to kiss her. This feels so right, no bad Kunzite, this is wrong! I have got to break away, but greater forces must be at work, either that or this princess has a very strong grip; because I couldn't escape even if I wanted to. Her fingers entangle themselves into my hair as we draw closer to the point that I think at one point I was holding her against me.

Suddenly a loud clapping noise shock me awake out of the kiss induced haze. Lifting my head I saw Zoicite, wearing that stupid smirk of his. The next thing I knew the girl lifted the blindfold off of her eyes; the jig is up. A deep blush stains her face, just as I thought, a case of mistaken identity; probably one of the prince's many conquests whom wished not to give him up just because he was now engaged. She looks between me and Zoicite for a moment, her blush darkening to an even deeper shade of crimson; before she hops down from the desk and turns away to leave.

Zoicite who is still grinning like an idiot joked, "I can't leave you alone for a minute can I? As soon as my back is turned you are kissing every girl in sight."

I can't even bring myself to reprimand Zoicite's comment, instead I watch the princess as she heads to the door. Her hand grazes the top of the doorknob only to turn and face me again. I was expecting a look of rage, or resentment, but what I saw was a very flustered and.pleased expression.

Was I wrong in assuming that she was after the prince? No, she couldn't have possibly planed this to trap me. But then why was she hiding under the desk? Why did she choose to spring out at that moment? And why in seven realms of hell was she wearing a ribbon for a blindfold?

I never did figure out the answers to those questions because Zoicite had a few for me to answer.

"How long have you been going out with her? If I had known that you were seeing someone here I wouldn't have set up all those dates for you. And a princess none the less."

I just collapsed into the chair that had been forgotten during the incident. All I could think about was what was going to happen to me if that princess told someone about what happened between us. Would I be fired?

"Hello, earth to Kunzite. oh wait I forgot we are not on Earth right now. Okay, Moon to Kunzite, are you there Kunzite?" Zoicite said as he waved a hand in front of me.

Ignoring him, I stood up, muttering something about going to bed.

Zoicite snickered, "Don't let me stop you Romeo."

Note to self: Find a way to kill Zoicite without anyone noticing that he is missing.

If that brief kiss was heaven on earth than the evening following it would be fittingly be called hell on earth.

Loathing parties I secluded myself to the gardens despite protests from both my prince and comrades, Zoicite especially. I just can't stand all of that noise and people. I normally don't like gardens either, usually I find some other secluded corner of the palace but I have learned from attended pervious partiers on the Moon that ever secluded corner is in use for activities that require only two people and really doesn't need an audience. These people are so open with their emotions, and love making, to the point that it almost degusts me. But then I recalled that last night that forwardness was actually enjoyable. I was minding my own business, and trying not to step on the flowers these Lunar seemed so overly fond of; when a figure exiting the party caught my eye.

It took me only a moment to realize that the figure was the phantom girl that had kissed me last night. This is strange; I thought that princesses thrived off of parties, so why was this one excluding herself from one. As odd it might be this would be the best time to get answers from her. Was she really interested in me or was it someone else that she had been waiting for? And if it was me then why did she choose me? I am not the most warm or sociable person so I find it hard to believe that we have even formally met before that kiss, plus I am a lower rank than she is so technically she is off limits to me. Does that count if she makes the first move though? And more importantly has she told anyone about what happened between us? I highly doubt it but I need to know just in case.

I watched her as she bypasses the gaudy rose gardens and headed towards one of the many man made lakes surrounding the gardens. She hikes up the hem of her dress and then hops across the rocks. What is she doing? Then I look at the place she is staring at, lotus flowers; is she after those? My question is answered soon because she undoes her shoes and tosses them onto the shore while she reaches out for the lotus flowers. She is going to fall in, I just know it. Quickly I approach the lakeshore, not even noticing Zoicite and his date; until the idiot saw her and told her not to fall in. She got spooked and tipped over into the lake anyway.

For a moment I thought that she was at the shallows and would come up soon but then I realized that even if it were the shallows the silk of her dress would weight her down. I dove into the water with Zoicite right behind me. I dove further into the lake until I felt her hand; I reached out and grabbed it, trying to pull her up but the added weight of her dress kept her anchored to the bottom. I pulled and tugged until I felt her rise up to the surface with me. I glanced to the side to see Zoicite whom had helped me get her to the surface; we both swam back to shore with the girl in between us.

Before we even reached the shore Zoicite ordered his girlfriend of the week to go get help. She nodded and left. When we reached the shore I was struck by the horrible fact that she wasn't breathing. Yes, I know that I barely know her, heck I didn't even know her name at the time but I didn't want her to die. Zoicite reacted to the crisis quicker than I could have; immediately he began to perform CPR on the girl while I could only watch nervously. I shouldn't be like this, I am Kunzite, commander of Earth's royal armies I should have more fortitude and self-restraint but seeing her so weak and near death I forgotten everything but hopping that she was alive.

By the time Zoicite's girlfriend arrived with half the lunar court in tow the princess was finally breathing. I was so relieved that I just silently watched as each of the princess hugged and asked their comrade if she was all right. She nodded her reassurances to everyone and tried to stand with the help of two of the princesses only to collapse.

Before I knew it I had caught her in my arms. I could feel everyone staring at me but for once I didn't care, right now I more concerned with the princess's welfare. I gently scooped her up into my arms and asked Zoicite to lead me to the palace infirmary.

Thankfully the princesses stayed back while Zoicite and I reentered the palace and found the infirmary. Before we reached it she stirred a bit and curled in closer to me. Out of reflex I shifted her as far away from my chest as possible.

Zoicite did most of the talking since he knows the staff at the infirmary like the back of his hand. It was from him that I found out that the princess's name was Ami. Ami, a short but a pretty and well-suited name, I think. I hate being sentimental about anything but when we had to leave her in the infirmary it pained me to let her down on the cot.

On the way back to our quarters Zoicite tries to lighten the mood by teasing me about this sudden infatuation. I just ignore him, my thoughts still focused on Ami. The same girl who had enough courageous enough to kiss a perfect stranger, unless we have met before and I just can't recall it; turns out to be very fragile.

I couldn't sleep at all that night, finding myself just pacing around my bedroom, worry eating away at me; not because of the princess's health but what to do next. I could court her, but same problem rank. But at the same time I can't forget her. As much as I hate to admit it I need help; and even though I loath to do this Zoicite might be my only hope; he knows more about women than I do. Shaking him awake, grateful that tonight he was without a bed partner.

"Ugh. Give me five more minutes, then I'll go down stairs for training."

"Zoicite, wake up." I growled as I pushed him over processing to knock him out of bed.

There was a dull thud and a "ow" followed by a few curses, at last the strawberry blonde lifted his head to glare at me with narrowed green eyes.

"Kunzite? What are you doing in my room?"

"I need your help." I replied shortly.

"With what?" Zoicite asked with a yawn and stretched only to stop, "The prince isn't in trouble is he?"

"No," I said.

"Then what is it?"

I gulped, turning to face the window, which revealed an inky black skyline, "I.I think that I have fallen in love with Lady Ami." I said quickly.

"Oh, is that all." Zoicite said as he climbed back into bed. I grabbed him by the scuff of his neck.

"Didn't you hear me?"

"Yes, I heard you. You're in love, congratulations, can I go back to bed now?"

"No, I need your help."

Zoicite looked at me with a blank stare and blinked his eyes, "Help with what?"

Gods he is going to make me say it isn't he?

"You know how to charm women, I need your help in getting Lady Ami to like me."

"If that kiss you two shared the other night is any indication, I think she already likes you." Zoicite said between yawns.

"She's a princess you moron, she had probably been kissed and has kissed many other men, and I already have my rank going against me."

"Will you give that up already." Zoicite grumbled, "First rule, girls normally don't care about rank, and those that do are not worth having in the first place. Rule number two, you'll never get her attention if you keep brow beating yourself. Just relax and well just be yourself."

Silence

"Okay, maybe you being you won't go over too well." Zoicite said dryly.

"What, is there something wrong with me?" I snapped.

Zoicite shrugged, "Not unless Ami goes for the stone men whom snaps off people's heads at will." I withheld a sharp remark and listened attentively as Zoicite threw suggestions at me.

"That is too sappy," I said.

"She'll melt, so do you still want my help or not?" Zoicite replied.

"Fine," I growled.

Thirty minutes later I had gotten one of the lotus flowers from the lake and took the card that Zoicite had wrote. It seemed too sappy to me, but if it works whom am I to complain. Zoicite came with me to the infirmary; about half way there I lost my nerve. I never froze during battle or heated conflicts but now was the time my courage failed me.

"You take it," I muttered to Zoicite.

"What? Kunzite this is your chance! Besides as soon as we pass our rooms I am going to bed." Zoicite complained.

"But what if she is awake?"

"Then you can talk to her, that is better than just leaving a flower and a note."

"I.I can't do it."

".Chicken, fine I'll take it. And if she is awake I'll tell her that the flower is from me."

"You wouldn't dare," I said.

"I might, you won't know unless you take to her yourself."

Needless to say I gave in; upon entering the infirmary I saw several deserted white walled rooms, but as of yet no Lady Ami.

Zoicite, nudged me in the ribs, "She's down this hall," he whispered urging me to follow. We hadn't even passed the second door of the hallway before a stern looking healer stood in front of us blocking our way.

"What are you two doing here? Visiting hours are over."

"We know that miss, but my commander wanted to give."

"I don't care, I want you two out of here before you disturb Lady Ami."

"That is why we are here. Well we are not here to disturb her intentionally but Kunzite wishes to give her a sort of get well present."

The healer gave me a critical stare that I returned with my own cold glance.

"Give me the present and I'll be sure that Ami receives it."

Reluctantly I had the flower and card over to the healer whom then forces us out of the hall and finally the infirmary. Even when we returned to our rooms I still couldn't sleep, taking up my newly found hobby of pacing around the room like a caged animal. I hate feeling so edgy, will she like the flower, and did she think that card was too sappy or was she actually charmed by it?

This morning dawned quickly and soon I was down stairs eating breakfast with the rest of the court. I saw the princesses' file into the room, without Lady Ami. Halfway through breakfast Ami entered the dinning hall, wearing the lotus flower in her hair. The anxiety that had kept me awake last night vanished in an instant and was replaced by.hope?

I felt pleased that she at least appreciated the flower; I had a hellish time getting that thing out of the lake without getting wet.

"Sir Kunzite, are you feeling alright?" someone asked me.

I turned my head to face my prince, whom had asked the question.

I moved to speak but Zoicite snickered and interrupted me.

"He is more than all right your majesty," the blonde replied with an impish look in his eyes.

He is going to tell.

Thinking on my feet, I used my booted right foot to kick Zoicite's leg, causing the younger man to yelp in pain. He glared at me, but I effectively stared him down, warning him not to breath a word of this. If word got out to the other soldiers that their commander was completely infatuated with a slip of a girl they will never respect me nor take my orders to heart.

After breakfast I saw Ami disappear into the halls. I found out from Zoicite that she frequents the palace library often, occupying herself with reading, writing, or the occasional chess match against other library patrons. Zoicite also told me that Lady Ami is surprisingly shy and soft spoken but very cautious and critical of people, so if I am to win her affection I have to be very careful and take things slowly. No problem there, or so I thought.