Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Kiss and Tell ❯ Never Say Never ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kiss and Tell
 
Chapter Two:  Never Say Never

"What about him?" the tall brunette asked her shorter blonde friend.

"Which one?"

"Over by that statue," the taller girl commented casually.

The blonde's blue eyes narrowed, "There are about four over there you dork, just point out which one you are talking about!"

"I can't do that!"

"And why not?"

"Because if I catch his eye then he will know that I am interested."

"And that's.bad?"

The brunette smiled indulgently as she gently patted the blonde's red- ribboned hair, not unlike the soft yet superior praise that one would give a pet.

"Very good Mina, you are catching on quickly."

Mina crossed her arms haughtily across her chest, "Very funny Makoto! And when was the last time you had a long-term relationship I might ask? Hmm let me see, oh I know never." Mina finished dryly.

Makoto allowed Mina's comment to wash off her like water; "You're no better Mina. You change guys quicker than you change your clothes."

"Yeah well at least I end relationships by choice!"

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I arose from the table those we, Mina, Makoto and myself; had claimed, to escape both the "friendly" bickering of the aforementioned girls. I love them both like sister but I swear their petty arguments can grate on even Serenity's abundant patience besides I hate parties so what better excuse to escape one than the go out into the gardens, under the guise that I was just getting some fresh air. Not that anyone would mind, beside my friends of course. Trust me I have no boyfriend or even an admirer waiting for a dance with me, which suits me just fine since I would much rather prefer a game of chess to the game of innuendoes and sensual wit that is more of the attraction of the balls instead of the intended dancing.

I am such a weirdo.

Normal girls like playing mind games with guys, they love keeping them guessing about their true intentions only to come to the glorious conclusion of a coupling, be it with or without the white dress and ceremony, or the smearing of the girl's reputation through rejection. That is what I fear the most out of starting any relationship with anyone let alone my crush. Speaking of which, I can feel my face warm up and more than likely turn a brilliant shade of scarlet.

Ugh I could kick myself for pulling that stupid stunt! I am supposed to be smarter than to fall victim to such ridiculous circumstances. But no I just had to give into temptation and make a complete fool of myself. Luckily for me Lord Kunzite is a gentleman in that, as far as I know, he hasn't spoken of that little "incident" to anyone aside from Zoicite and maybe the other earthen generals; so word hasn't gotten around and my dignity, what is left of it, has been spared.

Finally freeing myself of the lavish world of the ballroom I find myself in the threshold of the infamous rose garden of Crystal Palace. Now as sacrilegious as it might sound I don't particularly care for roses, they are just too flashy and perfect for me to really appreciate. My favorite flower is one that most don't really notice, the white and delicate lotus flower. It is not flashy and the type of lotus flower that is breed here on the Moon blooms only at night so if you take a midnight stroll across the bridged lake you can smell their heavenly fragrance. I carefully hike up the skirt of my gown a bit as I reach my right foot to touch a flat rock beginning my nightly journey for the elusive flower.

Just three rocks ahead is my goal, five fully blossomed water lilies, their white satin skirts flowing around them as they dance across the water. One problem though is that the following rocks are too small for me to stand on with both feet so it looks like I'll have to do some stretching. Bending down on the large rock I unclasp my high-heeled dancing slippers and discard them on the bank. Looking back to the flowers I bunch up my skirt to my lower upper leg, around the calf, then lean over on my rock to reach across to the flowers. My fingers brush against the flowers, I opened my outstretched palm to retrieve the flowers only to be startled out of my wits by a voice.

"Don't fall in."

I turned my head back to see whom had the audacity to sneak up on me and to be so stupid as to make a comment like that; only to have my mouth go slack from shock. Standing on the bank was Zoicite with a young raven-haired lady hanging off his arm. This sight shocked me more than the comment, for I slipped and fell off my rock into the lake. The lake is fairly deep, about eight to ten feet; but that depth would have been no problem since I am good swimmer, however the heavy silk of my gown was weighing me down allowing me to fall deeper than I could swim. I struggled to kick my feet from underneath the layers of gossamer silk but the dress kept tangling my legs causing me to falter and lose ground. My struggles to reach the surface caused me to loss oxygen quickly, tilting my head back my eyes blurred from water, I can't believe that it is just going to end like this.

My eyes close of their own accord as my consciousness slowly slips away.

"Wake up!" someone screamed at me just before a harsh slap was delivered to my face.

My eyes flew open my vision blurring then steadily clearing. Looking up I could see Zoicite, his long copper hair and uniform drenched with drops of water falling from him. A relieved smile graced his lips, his green eyes reflecting the same emotion. He looks so beautiful, almost like an angel, a very wet angel.wait a minute.wet? But that would mean that he.he save me? Looking around him I notice that his girlfriend is nowhere in sight.

"Melody left to get help." Zoicite replied, almost as if he had read my mind. "Are you alright? You fell in the lake, at first I thought that you were at the shallow end but when you didn't come back up I went in after you." His expression grew solemn for a minute almost as if he cared about me.no that can't be it; he was probably worried about me as any normal human being would be about another human.

"Ami-chan!" I hear Mina's voice before the whole group is gathered around me.

Usagi gently pried me away from Zoicite to embrace me, "Oh thank the gods, Ami-chan."

"How did you know?" I began but only coughed up water.

"Melody found us and told us what happened." Makoto explained as she knelt to my other side, draping my arm over her shoulders to help me walk.

I tried to stand, but as soon as I wobbled to my feet the world around me spun as my knees buckled underneath me. Two arms shot out and caught me under the arms just before I could fall to the ground. My vision had blacked out in the short time that this occurred so once again I was oblivious to the world around me.

I regain awareness a short time later when I felt myself being carried. I was so overwhelmed with exhaustion and cold from my plunge into the lake I snuggled closer to the person carrying me, realizing one of two things, one this was not Makoto since there were no breasts and secondly this person seemed to be very uncomfortable with this importune cuddling because I felt my forehead being pushed back a little by a hand. As the person walked on I began to gain more of my consciousness, I opened my eyes to see gray cloth blocking my vision. I moved to crane my neck up to see the person's face but he only shifted me so that my head was nestled against close to his chest as his now freed hand reached for a door knob.

Upon entering the room I heard several soft-spoken voices, one coming to approach us.

"Good evening Lord Zoicite."

I literarily froze. My entire body seemed to have ceased every living function.

While I was in this semi-comatose state I still could hear Zoicite's words; "Lady Ami fell into the lake, I think she might have gone into shock."

Through the corner of my eye I could see the head healer nod in acknowledgement, "Of course my lord," she turned to lead him into one of the many white walled rooms where they kept patients. She pulled back the sheets of one of the beds and motioned for Zoicite to set me down on to the bed. Before he approached the bed I closed my eyes to fringe sleep while Zoiciete placed me on the bed with the healer tucking me into between the sheets.

They talked for a few minutes, Zoicite explaining how the entire fiasco had occurred and asking if I would be all right.

"Of course my lord. I am sure all that Lady Ami needs is a good night's rest and she'll be better by morning."

Zoicite said goodbye to the healer then left. Once he was out of the room the healer checked my forehead for a fever and my pulse. Seeming to be satisfied with her findings she left the room as well, leaving me alone.

I opened my eyes again to stare at the stark white ceiling above me as I tried to sort out all of my confused thoughts and emotions. First about the dare and now Zoicite's compassion; he didn't have to go into that lake to save me, he could have gone with Melody to get help and even after he rescued me he carried me from the lake to the palace and the infirmary. At first I shrugged off his "good deed" as human instinct but the more I thought about it the more I could clearly see the concern in his eyes. He was relieved that I was still alive, that shouldn't have meant anything to me but for some reason it did. It gave me hope that just maybe we could become a couple, one day, maybe.

I slowly drifted off into sleep, not stirring until dawn the next morning. That healer was right about one thing the undisturbed rest did make me feel a lot better. Stretching my arms above my head I casually glanced around the room, which was looking as fresh and renewed as I felt with the light of the golden sun. Suddenly my eye saw something lying on the table beside my bed. Turning over to my side I saw a delicate lotus blossom laying on top of the oak table, underneath it was a piece of paper. I gently picked up the lotus flower and read the paper 's simple message.

To my beautiful lotus flower

That was…corny, cute but very corny. If this flower and message was from Zoicite I just might denounce my crush on him just because of that very corny card.

I don't know though, it was sweet of him, sicking sweet and out of character for him but hey who am I to complain.

Little did I know that this one little flower would make my life very complicated.