Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Love Is Blind ❯ No More Sad Songs ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love Is Blind

Chapter I. No More Sad Songs

By: Sailor Angie

AN: Well, I told you I'd come back if you reviewed, and you guys were all so wonderful, I've never felt more inspired. I'm planning on having 12 chapters; I don't think it will change. I'll do my best to release a chapter a week, and perhaps the more reviews, the sooner it will come out. If you're confused, this takes place in an alternate reality. Don't hate me; I know they're tough to get used to. Also, this is what I call a semi-song fic, it's only loosely based on song lyrics. So R&R, and enjoy!

Serena ran through the streets. Red hot tears burned her cheeks and penetrated her soul. She didn't know where she was going; all she knew is that she wanted to get the image of him out of her head. She had given him her heart and he had returned the favor by cheating on her. And the words she had uttered, she wanted to take them back so badly, but knew that she could not.

At the very least she had broken it off with him before he had gotten a word in edgewise. She didn't dare look into his eyes, knowing full well that she would have given into his charms. But she had left with as much dignity as she could, and was proud that he had not seen her shed a single tear over him. Serena didn't know whether to rejoice or breakdown. Because after a year, all the good and bad times. . . It was finally over.

*This is the way/

That I state my independence/

That I'm no longer connected/

To your memory*

Serena collapsed, exhausted from running, and crying, and having her heart broken into so many shards.

The door she sat next to opened. His azure eyes widened as he saw her look up at him with tears still flowing freely. He put his hands on his hips and shook his head at her.

"I should have listened to you." She choked through her sobs.

"Well, c'mon, I'm not gonna leave you in the hall." He helped her to her feet and escorted Serena into his apartment.

"Darien, I'm so sorry." She sobbed.

He wrapped his arms around her small frame, "Serena, you don't have to apologize. We both know that love is blind. You just need to stop crying okay. Take a deep breath. It's over. Your nightmare of a relationship is finally over. You knew it couldn't last." He patted her back, "Let me get you some tea." Darien let go of her momentarily, and walked over to the kitchen, and put some water on the stove to boil. He returned with a box of Kleenex. "Just relax Serena, it's okay." Darien helped her dry her tears.

"Do you want to know what happened?" She looked up at him with her large crystalline eyes so innocent, but so full of pain and regret.

"Only if you want to tell me; only if you're ready." He wiped more tears from her cheeks.

"I came home early from the office. I was going to surprise him. Tonight was out one year anniversary." Both winced; Serena continued, "And I found Ben in bed with Natalie." She let a sob escape, "I called him names, and told him it was over, and left." Her eyes grew wide; she had only just realized the full impact of what she had done. "It's over." She repeated. She looked to Darien, "It's over, what am I gonna do without him? I've been with him for so long, I don't know if I can function without him."

Darien laughed, "Of course you can Serena, you're right, it's over, it's finally over. Aren't you glad you don't have to deal with him anymore. He drained you of your life, and now you have a second change to live. Not everyone gets a second chance, but you do Serena." He smiled at her.

Serena smiled back, "It's finally over." She began to laugh, and Darien joined her.

*This is the day/

That I'm making my defection/

Gotta claim back the affection/

That you stole from me*

"Serena, are you sure you want to do this?" Darien questioned Serena as they stood outside of the building that was home to Ben's music studio as well as their penthouse.

"I don't really have a choice, all my stuff's in there. I have to get it out before he contaminates it all." Darien let out a chuckle. Serena took a deep breath, "Darien, will you please come with me?" She pleaded.

Darien rolled his eyes, "Fine, but do you realize how much we hate each other? Ben might try to rip off my head if he sees me in there with you."

"Who cares, it's not like you couldn't take him." Serena stared at Darien.

"That's true." They both laughed.

"Alright, let's go, I wanna get this over with." Darien opened the door for Serena as she entered the building for one of the last times.

Serena and Darien packed boxes full of Serena's memories, and were almost finished with their last load when Serena perked up. She heard him toggle with the lock outside and shoved Darien into the closed behind her while he protested. Ben opened the door and came face to face with Serena.

For what seemed like an eternity they only stared at each other. Then he ran to her and hugged her. "I knew you'd come back. Natalie was a mistake. Serena, honey, you're my one and only muse. You know I can't make my music without you."

Serena didn't hug him back, but stood frozen in his grip with her memories flooding back to her. It took all the will power she had not to take him back right then and there.

"It's over Serena." Darien hissed from the closet.

Serena snapped out of her trance and pushed Ben away, "I'm not coming back. When I said it was over, I meant it." She fought against the lump forming in her throat.

Ben observed the boxes for the first time and scowled, "You can't leave me, you need me."

"NO! I don't need you, you need me! Ben, you've been screwing around behind my back for a long time. I know Natalie was only one of many groupies you've had." She resumed packing.

Ben grabbed her wrist and forced her to face him, "You need me. You can't live without me. My music, it's all for you." He pleaded.

"If your music is all for me, then you should know that you couldn't keep me unless you were faithful to me."

"They were mistakes." He pulled her close to him, "The band needs you. I can't write without you."

"You should have thought about that before you took so many women to bed behind my back. Just because you're in a band, just because you're a musician, just because you're famous doesn't make it okay!" She yelled in his face.

Ben grabbed Serena and kissed her. Serena broke from it and slapped him across his face. He held his stinging face as he looked up to see the contempt in her once kind eyes. "It's over Ben." She swallowed, "GET OUT!"

His eyes were mad, but not wishing to feel anymore of Serena's wrath he walked out of the door and slammed it as he left.

Serena exhaled loudly, as though she had held her breath the whole time. She turned around to see the kindness in Darien's face, and cried into his chest as he held her and told her it would be okay.

*I used to hear your music so loud/

But it's so low/

You're just another face in the crowd,/

I'm letting you know*

Serena hoped she wouldn't regret doing what she was just about to do. She had a meeting scheduled with the head of Crescent Records, and she was ready. The secretary told her that Andrew would see her. Andrew Crescent was the head of Crescent Records, and Serena had grown up with him. Many had mistaken them for brother and sister because they shared the same blonde hair. She knew if anyone would understand, it would be him . . . hopefully.

"Hey Bunny!" He smiled that brilliant smile of his, and hugged her as soon as she entered the room. "So what's up?" He sat casually behind his large desk, and she took up the edge of a seat that faced him.

"I broke up with Ben." She waited for his reaction.

Andrew's eyes fell, "I was afraid this would happen. I suppose there's no way I can convince you to stay with the band?" His jade eyes pleaded.

"I don't think so Andy." She sighed, "How long did you know?" She caught his gaze.

"A while." He stated apologetically. "Bunny, you're one of the best producers I've ever worked with. I think you know that. And you know that any other record company would kill to have you on its team. But I'm asking you to stay." His eyes were pained.

"I won't have to work with, or see Ben of anyone in the band?" She pressed.

"No, and I'll do you one better, I'll give you November and December off while I find the right band for you."

Serena got up, "It's a deal Andy."

His secretary poked her head in the door, "Andrew, Mr. Shields from PR is here to see you." Andrew nodded, and she shut the door.

Andrew came around the desk and hugged Serena again, "Are you sure you're gonna be okay?"

Serena smiled, "Yes." She laughed, "I'll be just fine."

Andrew led her outside, and told her to let him know if she needed anything. Darien winked at her as he passed her in the waiting room. Maybe things would be alright after all.

*No more sad songs,/

I'm letting it go now/

Switched off switched on,/

I'm letting you know*

"So what did Andrew say to you?" Darien inquired over the phone.

"He knew, he knew all along and didn't say a thing. I suppose, I didn't ask him, but still. You were the only one who told me the truth Darien. How did you know anyway?"

"Andrew; I had to buy out a few photographers to keep the photos from the papers. Andy knew you'd leave as soon as you found out, and he was willing to give up that much press to spare your feelings."

Serena was a bit taken aback, but knew that although Andrew had a business to run he also would have done anything for her and their friendship. "Well I -" Serena was interrupted by two beeps, "Hey, I've got a call on the other line, can I call you later?"

"Sure," Darien smiled, "And I want to hear all about the place that Andrew's got you set up in."

"Sure, I'll talk to you later, bye." Serena clicked to the other line, "Hello?"

The line was silent for a while, then he spoke up. "I need to see you."

Her heart skipped a beat, "I don't think that's a good idea Ben."

"Serena, I need you." His voice cracked.

Serena turned on the radio, "Ben I obviously wasn't' good enough for you because you ran to so many different women, when all you needed was to talk to me."

"I'm talking to you now." He pleaded.

"It's too little and too late Ben. You did this to yourself. I'm moving on, I am gonna be just fine without you." One of Ben's songs came over the radio. (`I'm gonna love ya foreva baby, cuz when I'm with you I'm complete. . .') She turned it off. "Ben, it's over, don't call me anymore." Serena hung up the phone. She never imagined it would be so hard, not in a million years.

*You turned out the light/

I'm gonna be alright without. . ./

Turn the radio off/

No more sad songs*

"Hey Darien, whatcha reading'?" Serena walked into Darien's office. He had almost fallen over when she had first spoken because his legs were propped up on his desk. He ran his hand through his raven locks. She realized he was avoiding looking at her in the eye. Serena marched over to him. "What's wrong?" She grabbed the magazine he held in his hands. It was an article in US Weekly, about - her and Ben, Serena's jaw dropped. "Did you do this!?" She demanded from Darien.

"No." He took his feet off his desk. "Andrew wouldn't let Ben release any information about the break-up yet. So Ben went to the press himself."

Serena began to read the article aloud: "`Ben Breaks One More Heart, Ben Compton of Ben and the Heartbreakers announced yesterday that his yearlong relationship with his producer ended earlier in the week. Ben said he felt it was necessary, and that he needed to move on. Serena Thompson, was not only Ben's long time love, but also produced their past three records, and is held responsible in many circles for their widespread success. US Weekly insiders have reported that she will no longer be working with the Heartbreakers, and may possibly be leaving Crescent Records, which is headed by Thompson's childhood friend Andrew Crescent. Ben commented on the break-up in a recent interview: `I loved Serena, but we both knew it wouldn't last, so I ended it.' Ben said that finding her replacement would not be a difficult task.'" Serena threw down the paper.

"I'm sorry Serena. There's nothing I can do." Darien apologized.

"Can't you make him retract the statement?!"

"It's not that easy and you know it." Darien got up from behind his desk. "Just calm down. If you give me a few days I can clear everything up." Darien approached Serena.

She backed away from him, "Or I can clear everything up right now." Serena bolted out of Darien's office. He knew exactly where she was headed, and only hesitated a moment before running after her.

*These are the words/

To describe all your offences/

You said love/

And love past tense/

And then you let it go*

Serena breathed heavily from running as she burst into the studio. "YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Serena stormed into the studio and punched Ben square in the face.

The sound technicians flew into the room and restrained her. Ben covered his face with his hands. "How could you say such things!? That article was a blatant lie; if you hadn't been cheating on me, I wouldn't have broken up with you! Mark my words, I will have my revenge. You think you have power in this industry? NO WAY! I'm the one that controls your destiny. I will have my story out on newsstands tomorrow in every paper that will listen. And by Friday you'll never sell another CD. You fucked up Ben. You shouldn't have messed with me." The rage in her voice was clearly audible from down the hall. Darien got to Serena just as her rant was ending.

"C'mon Serena, he's not worth it." Darien took hold of Serena from the sound technicians.

"This is FAR from over!" Serena yelled as Darien dragged her out of the room. "Let go of me." She batted at Darien.

"That was unnecessary." He warned.

"No, I have witnesses now." Serena wiped the sweat from her brow, "I'll let the others do the work for me. Everything I said was recorded in there, and it will only be a matter of time before someone leaks it to the press."

Darien stared at her in awe. It was all a set-up. And Serena knew what she was doing the whole time. "Andy's not gonna be happy about this." Darien shook his head.

*Haven't you heard,/

You are no longer respected,/

You are formally rejected/

From the one you hurt*

"I think I knew. I honestly think that subconsciously I knew." Serena was tucked in under blankets on Darien's couch. They often watched movies together. Though right before her and Ben had broken it off, she rarely saw him at all. Ben didn't like Darien, and for good reason. Because Darien knew the truth and told Serena, but she wouldn't listen to him.

"Then why didn't you end it earlier? Instead you shut everyone out. Especially me." Serena winced; she could clearly hear the hurt in his voice.

"You were the one person I shouldn't have shut out. The thing with Ben was that I was so enraptured in his voice and his music, and how he claimed to write it all for me. In truth we barely talked, but his music was the way he communicated with me. I grew dependant on hearing him, so much that I was more scared of loosing his music than my life." Serena sighed at the truth.

"But you've let him go?" Darien asked gently.

"He was never truly mine to begin with. He probably told every woman he was with that his songs were for them. So they mean nothing. I'm not afraid anymore. He's gone, and I'm still alive as living proof." Serena smiled.

"You're gonna be okay then?" Darien handed her the box of ice cream they had been sharing.

"As long as you keep the ice cream coming." Serena giggled. "I'm gonna be alright without . . ."

*I used to have the longing to hear/

What was in your heart/

But now it seems I'm over the fear/

Of this falling apart*

AN: No More Sad Songs ©2003 Clay Aiken, and all respective owners. I hope you were pleased, I've got a lot more in store for you, and even if you don't like Clay (I will be keeping with the theme) I implore you to continue, you don't have to listen to his CD. (even though I think it's wonderful!) Please R&R! I love you guys, you motivate me to write my best! I love suggestions too!

Preview: Chapter II. Shine

Serena is in over her head, and regrets acting so irrationally. Can Darien dig her out of the hole she's fallen into? And will Serena have the strength to continue despite her recent break-up and the trouble the media has gotten her into? Stay tuned!