Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Love Is Blind ❯ Shine ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love Is Blind

Chapter II. Shine

By: Sailor Angie

AN: Okay, I know the last one was kinda a downer, but I promise this one has more romance, and I may change the rating, because, there's just a bit of swearing, and I don't want to get in trouble. I want to make a quick comment on alternate reality fics in general. I want to apologize for having to introduce new characters, because I know as a reader that sometimes it's hard to understand the new characters amidst the ones we all know and love. In most cases I would avoid new characters, but I felt it was necessary for the story, and if you have any questions about their personalities or motivations, I would be more than happy to clear things up for you. I would like to thank Lk, DarkTenshi23 and aurora. This chapter is for you guys, I hope it's up to your standards. R&R&Enjoy!

Serena and Darien ran for cover underneath the awning of Darien's apartment building. It was always just their luck to get caught in freezing rain halfway home. She rung out her t-shirt.

"Well, are we gonna go inside?" Serena asked impatiently. Darien opened the door, and let his hand fall on the small of her back as he silently led her inside.

It had been two weeks since her out burst in the studio. Andrew had tried his hardest not to let his temper get the better of him. Just as Serena had predicted, her story hit newsstands the next morning. Serena had no idea at the time, however, that she was creating such a media frenzy.

Serena plopped down on Darien's leather sofa. He squeaked, "Serena; you're wet."

She put her feet up on his coffee table, "It'll dry." Darien rolled his eyes. Serena clicked on the TV and was bombarded with images of herself, "Ugh." She was disgusted.

"I tried to warn you." Darien handed her a towel as he sat down next to her.

"He started it." She folded her arms over her chest.

"If you would have given me time, I could have taken the heat for you." He looked her in the eyes, "It's my job."

"What a waste. I'd take it back in a second you know that. How the hell am I supposed to get over Ben if the media won't let me?" She wiped the rain off her face with the towel Darien had given her. "I just need to get away from here. The press doesn't even let me sleep anymore. Poor Mina's had to deal with all of them. She's my assistant, not my secretary." She shook her head.

*You can try to hide away/

From every drop of rain that's hanging over you/

And you can say it's all a waste/

Lost your time in space*

Darien had found it hard not to notice how much Serena had changed in the past few weeks. She had once been a strong, beautiful and independent woman. But now her passion for life seemed to be muted. At one point in time, the Serena he used to know wouldn't let anything get her down. She would light a room with her smile. She didn't smile much anymore.

It hurt Darien to look at her. His beautiful Serena was broken by a slimy jerk who cared for nobody's feelings but his own. He felt so protective of her. He wanted to strangle Ben for putting her through this. Their friendship had grown so strong. And lately Darien found that he needed to be with her; and when he was not, he longed to see her again. But he refused to think that these feelings were anything more than friendly love. He wanted only the best for his Serena. He wanted to put the smile back on her face, and the sparkle back in her eyes.

*There's nothing left to lose/

Like a broken angel on the ground/

Like a symphony without a sound/

Turn around*

Darien tossed in his sleep; he was dreaming of her again. It had been happening more frequently as of late. He supposed because he couldn't get her out of his head. The dream was always the same; it simply replayed the way they had first met.

Andrew and Darien were roommates in college. Andrew was obsessed with music, even though he was a business major. Darien was majoring in communications and PR. And for two years, all Andrew ever talked about throughout college was the girl that lived next door to him at home.

At first Darien had mistaken Andrew's adoration for love, but soon realized that Andrew only ever thought of Serena as a little sister, and one he guarded fiercely at that.

Serena's parents were wealthy and always traveled. Because both Serena and Andrew were only children they related to each other and held a very strong bond. They had both done things they weren't proud of as a cry for attention to their absentee parents.

It seemed to Darien though (at least from what Andrew had told him) that Serena had a particularly rough time growing up with out any parental guidance. Darien had always admired how she had over come the battle happening inside. Because despite everything, she had still turned into a beautiful young woman. And even at 21, she was so mature for her age. She acted older than both Darien and Andrew who were two years her senior. Before he ever even met her, he felt threatened by her intelligence and her impact on Andrew.

*Everything you are/

Everywhere you've been/

The sinner, and the saint/

That fight the battle within*

So for weeks on end Darien had been hearing nothing from Andrew except how Serena was coming to dinner with them because she was beginning college the following week. And after dinner they were going to help her move into her dorm.

Darien walked casually down the street. He wasn't paying attention to anything in particular when something hit him in the head. He looked down at his feet and picked up the crumpled paper lying on the sidewalk.

An apologetic girl with long blonde hair, and from what Darien could tell a nice figure came running up to him frantically, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Watch where you're throwing your trash next time meatball head." He dropped the paper into her hands and began to walk away from her.

"MEATBALL HEAD!" She fumed from behind him. He let out a chuckle; she was cute when she was mad.

He eventually found Andy waiting for him there. "Hey Darien, Serena's on her way, she said she might be late. She got a letter from her parents saying they're not coming home for Christmas this year." Andrew sipped some of his soda.

"What does that make, 5 years they've been gone?" Darien questioned.

"Six." Serena sounded behind him. Andrew got up and a brilliant smile formed on his face. Darien turned around to see what he thought what a mistake.

"Meatball head?" Darien was puzzled.

Serena clenched her teeth, "DON'T CALL ME THAT!"

Andrew was visibly confused, "Wait? You guys-"

"She threw trash at me." Darien folded his arms and stared at her.

"I most certainly did not." She challenged him, "In my rage I threw the letter my parents sent me, and you walked into it." She stared through him.

"WALKED INTO-" Darien was cut off.

"I'm sure it was an accident." Andrew stood between them.

"Of course you'd take her side." Darien scowled.

Serena stuck her tongue out at him when Andrew tried to reason with Darien.

"Oh, that's mature." Darien rolled his eyes.

"Stop it you two, can we just eat dinner, please." Andrew pulled Serena's chair out for her. Darien barely spoke another word during dinner, and left with out saying a word after they finished helping Serena move in.

Darien was clearly in the dog house with Andrew, and avoided him when he came home later that night. Andrew handed Darien a folded note.

"What's this?" Darien asked.

"It's from Serena, I dunno what's in it; she wouldn't tell me."

Darien was perplexed. He walked into his room and began reading Serena's letter. It was written by hand, and Serena's words were so eloquent:

Darien,

I must apologize profusely for my actions tonight. Although I thought you could have been more understanding, I accept your apology if you accept mine.

Because of our unscheduled meeting before dinner, I was unable to express many things to you. I wanted to thank you for befriending Andrew. We are both fully aware of how much we lack in our social skills.

Andy has spoken so highly of you, and because of that, I am more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you wish to repair the damage caused tonight, I'll be waiting at the Starbucks on 3rd and 4th after 9 p.m. I hope we can get past our differences; if not for us, then for Andy, because he deserves better than having his two best friends bickering all the time. I'll see you at 9.

Love always, Serena

He walked casually into Starbucks later that night and him and Serena never spoke another ill word toward the other again. Except for the occasional times when he'd get so mad he'd call her `meatball head.' But as soon as he would mutter those words, his punishment would be swift and deadly.

Serena started out small on campus helping a few bands succeed, but once her name got out, she decided to drop out of school and follow her hobby full time. Andrew and Darien had started Crescent Records at the beginning of their senior year, and grabbed Serena before any other label a chance. Andrew's two year old company had 3 big names, and as Crescent Record's popularity grew so did its clientele and revenue. Serena became a legend on campus as did Andrew and Darien's ambition and drive to start up Crescent Records. However both knew that they would be nothing without Serena and her ear for talent.

The one thing that Darien admired the most about Serena in the 5 years that he had known her was her ability to brighten a room, even if she was being followed by her own rain cloud. She made sure the sun was shining for everyone around her.

Darien squinted at the sunlight pouring through his window. He sighed; he knew it was true no matter how much he denied it. He was in love with her.

*Every place you go/

Everybody knows/

Shadows fall across the sun sometimes/

Shine. You're gonna shine*

Darien jumped in the shower, he heard his door slam. He shut the water off and wrapped a towel around his waste and walked slowly down the hall. He began to laugh.

Serena was on the floor leaning up against the door breathing hard. She glared at him.

Darien stopped laughing, "Wait, how'd you get in here?!" He demanded.

Serena held up a set of keys, "Stole your spares." They dangled from her finger. He narrowed his eyes at her. "You still have soap in you hair." She got up and advanced toward him. She was within inches of his face, "It's a nice look for you though. I always said you had a great body." She breezed past him.

He fumed, she was toying with him, he'd get her back, "Who were you running from meatball head?" He turned to face her.

"Just the-" She stopped, "WHAT DID YOU CALL ME!?"

"Nothing, you were saying?" He batted his eyes at her.

"The press," she followed him with her eyes.

"What about them?"

"They won't stop following me." She pouted.

"Hey, you got yourself into this mess, I warned you." He stated.

"Yeah, but they're reporting things about me that even I didn't know." She crossed her arms, "And now Ben's started a rumor that I was the one cheating on him."

"With who?" Darien adjusted his towel.

Serena began to laugh, "Andy."

Darien couldn't help but join her, "Okay, I'm gonna go finish my shower and then we can continue this conversation."

Serena stopped him, her features became sullen, "Darien, I'm scared. I've never had my character put under such judgment and scrutiny before."

"Serena, we both know you have nothing to hide. You're the sweetest girl I've ever met. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You didn't do anything wrong by breaking up with Ben. Just don't forget who you are. Ben almost made you lose it, but you can learn from your mistakes." He smiled, "I'd hug you, but I don't want to get you wet."

She laughed, "Thanks Darien."

*In the mirror of your soul/

I know that you know/

You are not forsaken*

"Serena, open the door, I have a surprise for you." Darien knocked on her door. It was the first time he would get to see her new penthouse.

She came to the door and threw her arms around him, "Darien!" She squealed.

"Good to see you too." He gawked at her expansive apartment, "Unfair, it's bigger than mine." He pouted.

"Yeah, but you have a better view." She cocked her eyebrow at him. "So, where's my surprise? Gimme, gimme, gimme!"

"Settle down." He laughed, "Okay, close your eyes and put out your hands."

She did as instructed and he placed an envelope in her hands. She opened her eyes. "OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! What is it? The death certificates of all the paparazzi that have been stalking me?" She suggested.

"Sorry, I'll get right on that though."

She opened the envelope, "Hawaii?" She questioned with wide eyes.

"You think they'll follow you?"

"I don't want to go alone . . ." She stared at the single ticket.

"Well, maybe Andy would let me take some time off." Darien pulled a second ticket out of his back pocket.

Serena jumped up and down excitedly, "When do we leave?!"

"Tomorrow." He smiled.

"Darien you are too good to me" She wrapped her arms around his muscular build, "Thank you." She whispered in his ear and kissed his cheek. He blushed, "Wanna help me pack?" She giggled.

Darien relished the soft side of Serena which was seen so infrequently. He was beginning to think that she was getting better.

*Hey butterfly open up your weary eyes/

And realize it's a trip we're taking/

And the world will turn around again/

And your shattered heart is going to mend/

In the end*

"Whatta ya mean they only had singles!?" Serena dropped her luggage in the doorway preventing Darien from exiting.

"Are you gonna have a problem with sleeping next to me?" Darien grabbed Serena and pulled her close to him.

"Darien - I -" Serena stuttered. Darien released her, not realizing it would make her uncomfortable. She laughed, "No, it's fine."

When they had both finished unpacking Darien suggested they order dinner. Serena agreed, she was never one to turn down food.

Darien and Serena relaxed on their patio over looking the ocean, while they waited for their room service.

Darien heard a knock on the door and returned promptly with their food.

"Thanks for bringing me here." Serena poked at her pasta.

"It's not like you didn't need or deserve a break or anything." He stated sarcastically.

"Yeah, well after everything I put you through before I broke up with Ben."

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Love is blind Serena; you didn't realize what was happening, and how badly you were hurting inside."

The sun began to set and as the crescent moon flooded the beach with light Serena and Darien walked hand in hand in the sand trading childhood memories.

"LOOK! A shooting star!" Serena broke from Darien's grip and pointed toward the sky. "Make a wish Darien." Serena smiled at him.

`I wish I could keep her.' He said silently in his head.

"Hey Darien," She interrupted his thoughts.

"Yes," He turned to look into her eyes.

"You think we could stay here for a while?" Serena implored.

"As long as you want." Serena coiled her arms around his torso and breathed him in. Darien sighed, and wondered how you tell someone that you're falling in love with them.

*Baby let's go run with those shooting stars/

Watch the crescent moon smile to your heart/

Shine, you're gonna shine/

Shine, you're gonna shine*

AN: Shine ©2003 Clay Aiken and all respective owners. One again, I implore you to review not only me but all authors. We write stories for you, and we appreciate your responses more than you may realize. I hope this chapter has given you guys more of an understanding as to how Darien and Serena's relationship works. I'd also like to comment that I don't have any kind of affinity for Starbucks; I simply thought that it would be a place that everyone would know of, as opposed to making a coffee shop up. I have much planned for Serena and Darien. I already have six more chapters written. So the more reviews I get, the faster I'll post the next one. Hope you're ready for more, cuz I sure am!

Preview: Chapter III. I Survived You -----

When Ben refuses to leave Serena alone, Darien and Serena have to take drastic measures. Will Serena be able to stop Ben before he does something they'll both regret? Find out in the next Chapter of Love is Blind, coming to a theater near you!