Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Love Is Blind ❯ I Survived You ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love Is Blind

Chapter III. I Survived You

By: Sailor Angie

AN: You guys are such flatterers! I'll make sure to thank all those who reviewed at the end of the chapter. I would also like to announce that I have all but three chapters written, typing them up is just what delays me, because college takes a lot out of me! So enjoy, I hope you like it as much as the last one, and I promise, this time, if you guys gimme just as many reviews as you gave me for chapter two that I will post the story on Friday (as opposed to the usual Monday update) Happy Reading!

***

"Darien, he's been calling me again." Serena breathed warily over the phone.

"Do you want me to come over?" Darien offered.

"No, it's just that, he sounds different."

"Different how?" Darien seemed concerned.

"Unstable." Serena laughed.

"Serena, that's not funny. I'm coming over --"

"No, no Darien, I'll be fine. I'm just gonna have to talk to Andrew about keeping him in line." She played with her hair.

"Serena, are you sure you don't want me to come over?" Darien pressed.

"Yeah, I have plenty of work to do." She flipped through the folders stacked on her desk.

"I thought Andrew made you take a break?" Darien was confused.

"Yeah, well, it keeps me busy." She yawned, "I'll call you tomorrow okay."

"You're sure you don't want me to come over?" He was still worried.

"Yes Darien, have a good night, see you tomorrow." She hung up the phone before he could respond.

On top of all her folders was a small package from Crescent Records. Serena let the contents of the package spill onto her desk.

She was flooded with memories as she stared down at photos of her and Ben. There were a few from some CD releasing parties, from their first tour, in the studio, and pictures of - "Wait," she said aloud, "He's never been in this apartment." There were not only photos of Ben in her new penthouse, but also of her alone, and with Darien as well. She tried to figure out where the photos had been taken from. They were through a window, but she couldn't be sure that he hadn't hidden anything when he had been there. She then noticed for the first time among the photos was a CD. Against her better judgment, she put it into her CD player.

His cold voice sent shivers down her spine, he had definitely changed. "Serena, it's Ben. I've been working non-stop in the studio for you. I hope you like these demos. I wrote them just for you. Even Andrew hasn't heard them yet. You'll have to let me know what you think okay."

Serena pressed the pause button, she didn't know if she could continue. She opted not to, and decided to call Darien again, but before she could pick up the phone it rang. Serena was a bit startled, but picked it up.

"Why won't you listen to my songs?" He sounded upset.

Serena took in a sharp breath, she looked around her apartment, but saw nothing suspicious.

"Don't you have anything to say honey?" he whispered.

Serena slammed the receiver down. She searched frantically around for any kind of clue.

Suddenly the door was being unlocked outside. She ran to it and put all her body weight against the door. The attached chain cracked, and her body shuttered as he tried to open the door.

"Serena, what are you doing?" Darien's voice sounded from the other side.

Serena scrambled to open the door, and ran into his arms as fast as she could.

Darien wasn't sure what was going on, "I - I umm decided to come over anyway."

She looked at him with tears in her eyes, "He's stalking me Darien." She pointed to the desk that the pictures were laid out on.

Darien walked over to the table, Serena hid behind him, not wanting to see the photos again. "Serena, you need to get out of here." Darien turned to her.

"You haven't heard the CD . . ." The fear in her eyes was too much for Darien to bear. He pointed to the stereo; she nodded, and took the CD out of the holder. The phone rang again, Serena jumped, "It's him, I know it is, he called before you showed up, that's why I thought you were him, but you weren't, and --" Serena was panicked.

"Just calm down." Darien put the photos back into the envelope along with the CD, "He's trying to scare you. But it's not gonna work. C'mon, we'll call Andy on the way." Darien put his arm protectively around Serena and led her out of her penthouse. "I don't think Ben was ever okay. I think you just grounded him temporarily, and that's why he wants you back so badly, because he's loosing himself and he knows it."

Serena only nodded and kept Darien close to her. She felt so safe with him, and until Ben was accounted for, she didn't dare let him go.

*I see the picture clear now/

And the fog has lifted/

The wool you tried to pull over my eyes was clever/

Yeah, you're gifted*

"Andy, I know he's made you a lot of money, but he's deranged. He's stalking her. He has photos of her in her penthouse, and he's been recording sick songs about her on your dime." Darien yelled over the phone.

"Okay, lower your voice, have Serena get a restraining order, and I'll talk to the band about what they want to do. What were the songs about anyway?" Andrew was curious.

"I can't tell you now." Darien looked over his shoulder. Serena stared back at him from his sofa.

"Is she there?" Andrew sighed.

"Yes," Darien said shortly.

"Don't take that tone with me; I love her just as much as you do Darien. You know I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her." Andrew stated.

"Let's hope nothing does."

"Well, of course not." Andrew didn't understand why Darien was being so moody, "I know you're upset, but taking it out on me isn't gonna help anything. Do you want me to come see her?" Andrew offered.

"No." Darien answered quickly, if anyone was going to comfort her; he felt it should be him. "You're gonna be okay right Serena?" He asked her loud enough so Andrew could hear.

"Can I talk to him?" Serena asked quietly.

Darien melted, "Sure," he reluctantly handed her the phone.

"Hi Andy." She smiled.

"Bunny, is Darien okay?" Andrew was concerned.

Serena looked at him and giggled, Darien became alarmed, "Yeah, he's just cranky."

Darien stuck his tongue out at her and walked into the kitchen to get something to eat.

"Serena, I'm going to make everything go away, okay." Andrew reassured.

"You always do Andy." Serena believed him.

"Wanna put Mr. Moody back on the phone?" Andrew requested.

"Sure Andy." Serena got up and handed the phone to Darien. He stopped making his peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Serena picked up the knife and resumed spreading where he had left off.

"How long is she gonna stay with you?" Andrew was growing impatient with the current situation.

"She's staying with me until he's behind bars." Darien said fiercely.

"Darien." Andrew and Serena both said in unison.

Darien covered the receiver, "Shhhhh." He hissed.

"I'll leave when I'm ready to." She hissed back.

"You'll leave when I say you're ready." He argued.

"That's what you think." She shoved the plate over to him. Crusts cut off, and the sandwich cut into quarters diagonally.

He stared at it, wondering how she knew his particulars. "Andrew I'm gonna go, but I'll call you tomorrow."

"I want to know what's on that CD." Andrew stated.

"Fine, I'll bring it tomorrow."

"Alright, well, keep her safe."

"You know I will." Darien smiled at Serena who had found his ice cream.

"G'night Darien."

"Night Andy."

"I wanna write him a letter, and tell him how much I hate him." Serena shoveled more ice cream in her mouth.

"You'll only be sinking to his level if you do that." Darien sat down next to her and yoinked the ice cream box from her, much to Serena's dismay. "You're better than that." Darien handed the ice cream back to her.

"I never thought I'd hate someone, nonetheless, Ben, as much as I do." Serena sighed.

"But don't you think you're stronger for having dealt with this?"

"Yeah, but it doesn't take the pain away. Ben was my first everything. I never thought it would end like this. Not in a million years. But at least I have you. Without you I'd still be with his cheating ass." She finished off the box.

*But you forgot to dot some I's/

And cross some T's along the way/

I'm better now despite you baby/

I'm stronger these days, stronger *

Darien wouldn't reveal the contents of the CD to Serena; knowing full well that she wouldn't be able to cope with their graphic nature. She had stayed with him for almost a week at his insistence.

It wasn't only for her safety but for his sanity. Darien knew he would be to get no sleep whatsoever if he didn't have her close to him. They had both fallen asleep on the couch the first night, and he had slept on the sofa in his room while she occupied the bed during the consecutive nights.

She was becoming more insistent on leaving. Darien wasn't sure how long he could keep her so close to him. He unlocked the door to his apartment and found Serena startled at the sight of him. He wasn't sure why until he heard the CD playing.

He marched over to the stereo, but she threw herself in front of it. "I need to hear this." She stood her ground.

"You need to hear about how he wants to have sex with you, and stalk you, and--"

"I need to hear this." She repeated.

Darien pushed her aside, and removed the CD. She frantically tried grabbing it from his grip. "One more step, and I'll crack it in half." She froze, "Why do you need to hear what he has to say?"

"Do you remember what I told you about how we didn't talk?" She looked at him intensely, he nodded, "Yes, it's graphic, but there are hidden messages within his songs that nobody else hears. He needs me to hear this. I need to hear it. It's the only way he can --" She stopped.

"It's the only way he can what, Serena, hurt you more?" Darien didn't understand.

"No, it's the only way he can apologize." Her eyes searched his.

"You got an apology out of this?!" Darien couldn't grasp her motives.

"I know it sounds odd, but please, don't break it." She pleaded with him.

"Are you falling for him again?" Darien scolded himself for appearing jealous.

Serena shook her head, "I can never be with Ben again. He knows I won't forget, but he wants me to forgive him."

"I don't get how you can have such a big heart Serena." Darien regrettably handed her the CD.

She wrapped her arms around him, and he held her, "You don't have to understand." She whispered. Darien didn't want to let her go.

*I survived the crash/

Survived the burn/

Survived the worst/

Yeah baby, but I learned*

*Survived the lies/

Survived the blues/

Almost killed me/

But I survived the truth*

*And when you wrote me off/

Like I was doomed/

I survived you*

Serena splashed her face with warm water. She couldn't remember the last time she had looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair needed a trim. Her cheeks were mildly flushed.

Ever since she had finally been permitted to return to her penthouse she kept seeing Ben everywhere. She knew it was only her imagination, but it still scared the crap out of her.

She hadn't told Darien yet, because for some reason, he had proclaimed himself her protector, and she knew he'd lock her in his apartment again. Still this haunting was getting old. It had been a month and a half ago that they had broken-up, and Serena wanted the nightmare to end.

There was a knock on the door, she looked through the peep hold and unlocked the door. Darien hugged her, "Hey baby, how've you been?"

"Better now that you're here." Serena lit up. Darien truly was her night in shining armor.

*I can look in the mirror now/

It's been a slow awakening/

Haunted by a heart full of you/

Couldn't help mistaking*

"Don't be happy yet."

Serena's face fell, "What now?" She didn't' know if she could take anything more.

Darien handed her the latest of US Weekly. There were ten pictures in a row of Ben with a different woman in each.

"So what?" She looked back up at Darien.

"Take a closer look at the women." Darien pointed at the magazine.

Serena squinted, "You've got to be kidding me." She rolled her eyes, "Besides my hair style, they're all carbon copies of me."

Darien handed her a letter addressed to her, and from Ben.

"Where did you get this?" She narrowed her eyes at him.

"Your mailbox at work."

"Why didn't you burn it?" She was confused.

"Do you want me to!?" He perked up.

"No, but I thought --"

"I do listen to what you say Serena, and as much as it pains me to say this, you're right --"

"Wait! Can you say that again? I didn't hear you quite right." Serena giggled, he shoved her gently, "Now, now, let's not get pushy." She laughed, "What was I right about this time?"

"It's your life, I have no right to control you, nobody does." Darien confessed.

"I cannot believe I'm hearing this." She tore open the letter. The folded paper only contained 8 words: `If I can't have you, no one can.' "That bastard!" Serena handed the paper to Darien.

"Can I burn it now?" He inquired.

"C'mon, I can't take this anymore." Serena grabbed Darien's coat collar.

*That you could ever care for anyone/

Anyone but yourself/

But you would have to have a conscious baby/

Good luck, I wish you well*

Serena and Darien arrived at the studio just before noon. It didn't matter what time, Ben was always there.

Serena broke up the recording session again. Ben could only stare at her; they hadn't been face to face for two months. She held the note up to his face, "What the hell is this?!" She tore it down and looked him square in the face, "It's been two months! What the fuck don't you get about `IT'S OVER!'?" He folded his arms and stared through her, "Fine, don't say anything. I'm not gonna let you get to me. And my restraining order is scheduled to go though next Monday."

"Restraining order?!" He spoke for the first time.

"Yeah, restraining order you dumb ass! What did you think I was gonna do after you send me those pictures, the CD, and now this. Screw you Ben. You think you have some kind of power over me, and in truth you used to. But the magic has all worn off. I'm not gonna let you ruin my life . . . again." She threw the letter at him and grabbed Darien's hand as she walked out of the studio.

Ben ran after them both, "This isn't over Serena!" Serena and Darien kept walking.

*This heart has been torn in two/

Cut and bruised/

With too many bitter endings/

I'll be damned if I have thoughts of you/

Rain on my new beginnings*

***

AN: I Survived You ©2003 Clay Aiken and all respective owners. First and foremost, I would like to thank Ross and Rachel, my confidants in Swenson House. Without whom you would not be reading this fic. They are the most wonderful listeners/proof readers in the world! The chapter didn't stick to the lyrics as much as I had hoped, but I am much more prone to follow the story than the guidelines that the lyrics provide, so I hope that was okay. Remember! More reviews = faster chapter updates! And as always, my thanks, without you guys, I would be nothing!

DarkTenshi23, I'm so glad you've continued to read, I only hope that you continue to follow my story and enjoy it as much as you've enjoyed the previous chapters

Caolite, This story does have 12 chapters, so it wouldn't be much fun if Serena and Darien get together so soon, just remember it's not over yet, but I am such a romantic that have no fear, whatever may come, everything will turn out right! Good luck with your unfinished story, I find that the best thing for me is to not know what's gonna happen when I write, then I wanna find out what happens just as much as you all do! lol

Mistress Moon, I loved your review, you scared me at first, I thought it was a flame, but you made me laugh though, and the dramatic effect was just perfect!

ThatsMsDiva2U, Smile, angel, Cat, SilverMo, and Namiko-Daughter of Sekhmet, I hope I updated this soon enough for you, and remember, if you get all your friends to R&R I'll get the next one out sooner!

Preview: Chapter IV. I Will Carry You -----

Serena thinks she's lost her musical gift, will Darien be able to help her salvage what's left, or will someone unexpected give it back to her? OMIGOD! Tune in next time to Love Is Blind to find out!