Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Love ❯ A New Home ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Of Demons and Love
Author: Quintyss

Chapter 15 (T)
A New Home

It was a hard sell, but Kenji and Ikuko had finally agreed, reluctantly, to let Usagi move to the jinja. It *was* closer to the University and the route didn't seem to have as much traffic. Kenji and Ikuko also felt comforted by Usagi's choice in vehicles so they didn't have to worry about urgent situations. Usagi's car was all-wheel drive, safe, and paid for. The girls would need it during the winter months.

Of course, Rei insisted she didn't need a car. She had gotten around for years on her feet, a bike, and a pair of skis. But she had to admit, a car was great for hauling a digital concert piano around and for taking ski trips! Usagi *had* promised to only use the car for band practices and dire emergencies. Rei was even happier when she saw that Usagi fully intended to bring her own bicycle, roller blades, ice skates, and... snowshoes? No skis. Rei grinned wickedly. Oooh, that would change!

Ikuko was assured that she wouldn't have to worry about the 'food thing'. Rei promised to take cooking lessons from Makoto and proper 'Usagi' nutrition instructions from Ikuko. Plus, Usagi herself wasn't terrible at it.

Ojiisan was due back from his Pilgrimage in a week and Rei had much to prepare at the Hikawa Jinja. Rei wanted the Senshi and the Tsukino's to help get Usagi moved in now, so Ojiisan wouldn't try to get involved and hurt himself trying to be a hero. She and Usagi had jointly decided it would be a good time for Usagi to come and live there and wanted everything ready for Ojiisan's arrival. Usagi was currently at her morning classes, so Rei took the opportunity to busy herself clearing out Yuuichiro's old room so her soulmate could have it. She was psyched.

Mr. Tsukino and Mamoru handled the 'heavy stuff' and actually got along quite well. Something about the 'postponement of any commitments until Usagi had a college degree', had appealed to Kenji. He had noticed the absence of Mamoru's ring on his daughter's hand. Mamoru smiled and felt a little better inside. Mr. Tsukino also arranged for a lot of repairs at the Jinja. Like roofing and a few plumbing issues. He also had a 'kitty door' installed for Luna so a window wouldn't need to stay open. Things accolades couldn't help with. The accolades mainly took care of the impeccable grounds keeping. The Hikawa was truly a beautiful place because of their efforts.

When everything was moved, a huge picnic was held on the jinja grounds. Much of the normal activity was on pause due to the pilgrimage, so it wasn't crowded. Rei was grateful Ojiisan had let her stay at the Tsukino's and miss part of her training. She was certain Usagi was alive today because of the senshi's diligence. Ojiisan was in for a pleasant surprise when he got home, now!

Eventually, the girls were alone and they rearranged the house so each of them could be comfortable. When they were finally satisfied, they were exhausted. They took a platonic shower together, after which, Usagi called her mother to see if she was all right.

"Moshimoshi, Tsukino Ikuko speaking!" Ikuko sniffled as she answered the phone.

"Mom, it's me. Are you all right?" Usagi asked, but knew she wasn't.

"I'll be alright, eventually, but right now I miss you terribly. It's as if the soul has been sucked out of this quiet house and it has only been a few hours! You are so energetic and have so many friends!" Ikuko wasn't able to continue.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I promise I'll make it as normal as possible for you. When Makoto's landlady threatens to shut down our full-band jams, we'll move it there! Won't that be grand?" Usagi chirped.

Ikuko could hear the mirth in her daughter's voice and managed a small laugh. "I'm sorry Usagi, I must make you feel guilty with my selfishness." Ikuko said and wiped her tears, "you don't need to come here and entertain your poor old, boring Mom with music practice." Ikuko replied and purposely left herself open for their private running joke. She could almost 'hear' Usagi's evil grin.

"Oh Mom, how many times do I have to tell you that you're neither poor, nor old, and you are possibly the most *unselfish* person on the planet!" Usagi insisted.

"I love you, Bunny. I'll see you tomorrow, sometime. Bring me some fresh vegetables, okay?" Ikuko replied with a smile.

"I will Mom. I love you, too. Matta ne!" Usagi hung up tearfully and Rei was right there.

"You've been through a lot lately, Usa, haven't you? Just let me know when you want space, and when you want to be close, all right?" She comforted with a quick squeeze.

"Same goes for you," Usagi responded with a nod. "Right now, though, I need something to eat. You are welcomed to join me if you want to." Rei shook her head 'no' definitively, so Usagi continued, "I'm too wound up with a million things to think about and sort out in my head. I don't want to keep you up, so I think I'll sleep in my own room tonight. We'll talk in the morning, alright?"

Usagi's lips trembled as she met Rei's soft warm yielded ones. They kissed and embraced a minute or two, then parted. Rei went to meditate in front of the fire, while Usagi ate a little of the picnic leftovers, and turned in.

Usagi was not used to sleeping on the floor in a futon, but it was actually warm and comfortable. She lay on her back with her hands laced under her head and stared at the ceiling. After she thought about recent memories, recent decisions made, family and friends... for which she carefully prayed for each... her mind wandered to the jinja. She thought about what a huge responsibility the jinja was. How much time it would consume to run. How expensive it was to maintain. What hard work it was to keep it presentable. Especially for one eighteen-year-old school girl... or even two. They needed a lot more accolades from the Order.

She worried about what would happen if Ojiisan were to die. They would have full responsibility alone and, more than likely, Rei would have to drop out of University to concentrate on the priesthood. The thought made Usagi feel profoundly sad. She also wasn't comfortable with the idea of some stranger the Order promised Ojiisan coming to be a temporary Guji to help the Meikai. "Gods please help us... help me to learn the logistics of how to run a jinja so we are prepared to be alone." Usagi breathed in prayer.

As she relaxed and closed her eyes, she felt something small and familiar crawl over the quilt on top of her. Luna! Usagi gathered her cat into her arms and wept until sleep overcame her. Luna, of course, was used to Usagi's 'tear baths' and licked her face. Usagi was infinitely grateful Luna had not given the future Queen Serenity a hard time over her recent decisions. She was sure Luna had heard much while hiding underneath Usagi's bed. The feline hadn't even mentioned her break-up with Mamoru. Maybe the two lunar cats deduced more than the Senshi thought regarding future events. After all, the felines did run the 'lab' at the arcade.

Usagi woke sometime later, her soul drawn to her mate's incredible loneliness. She got up, used the bathroom, then went to comfort Rei. Usagi slipped under the blankets, snuggled close to Rei, and put her arm around the lonely girl. Their relationship had barely gotten started and already it was tough to be apart, Usagi thought soberly.

"I'm here, My Heart, no more tears, no more loneliness," Usagi spoke soothingly and felt Rei slowly relax.

The girls woke in each other's arms, which seemed to feel more natural and comfortable as time went on. Rei's large amethyst eyes met Usagi's deep blue sapphire ones. Rei smiled shyly at her sleepy angel and tentatively leaned in for a 'good morning' kiss.

Usagi met those soft sensuous lips and ran her fingers through Rei's tangled raven locks and drew her close. There was nothing tentative about Usagi's kiss. She offered Rei deep access for several minutes. Usagi moaned softly as Rei's passion-filled her with heat.

"Mmmm... Ohhh, Rei!" Usagi groaned then gasped for air, "my lungs just got well and you're about to deflate them!" she laughed. "Why don't I fix us some breakfast while you shower, hmm?" Usagi suggested. Rei blushed a bit.

"I'm just so happy to have you here, Usagi, I got carried away. You have that effect on people, I'm sorry! I would love some breakfast. I could have sworn, though, I was supposed to spoil *you* rotten, not the other way around." Rei laughed.

"Rei, you gave me a home! You gave me yourself. I am spoiled!" Usagi exclaimed. Rei squeezed Usagi's shoulders.

"I just asked if you would complete my home. My real home is with you, Joou-Dango!" Rei kissed Usagi gently then. She went to get a towel and go take her shower. She left Usagi with a silly smile on her face.

Usagi went into her own room and saw Luna curled up on her futon. She put on her housecoat and nudged Luna a little with the toe of her fuzzy pink bunny slipper to wake her up.

"If you want some breakfast, come now, otherwise you are on your own. And, by the way, if you so much as *glance* at one of Rei's birds around here, I'll put a muzzle on you!" She threatened with a shake of her pointer finger. Luna preened herself and stuck her nose in the air.

"Hmph! Oh, ye of little faith. We came to an understanding with Phobos and Deimos long ago. Artemis and I have never hunted for birds here, just mice. If you like, I'll leave all the cute little shrine mice alone too." If Luna could have smirked with satisfaction when Usagi blanched... she would have.

"No, no," Usagi said hastily, "you can hunt and eat all the mice you want, as long as you don't eat them inside this house. And no tails are to be left at the sacred fire for an offering. Yuck!" Luna chuckled.

Usagi hurried into the kitchen to fix breakfast for everyone. She made scrambled eggs, set out some yogurt, and cut a pink grapefruit in half for Rei and herself. She served it with water and some caffeinated green tea. She fixed Luna some choice picnic meat left-overs and set out a small dish of dry cat food. The nicest thing about a talking cat was, you could ask what was needed for care and receive an actual answer back.

Rei entered the kitchen dressed in a pair of worn black jeans and a fuzzy peach top. She gawped at the spread of food. "Isn't this a bit much, Usa?" She asked incredulously.

"Nope... and none of it is fattening. You'll feel wonderful! So eat up, today is going to be a great day!" Usagi tapped Rei's plate briefly before she attacked her own eggs. Usagi's eyes sparkled with her happiness.

The raven-haired Miko discovered she was pretty hungry after all and when the two girls started to feed one another grapefruit chunks, Rei discovered food was not the only thing she was hungry for.

"Um, Usagi, do you think we are ready for a blood bond ceremony?" Rei asked as she offered a piece of fruit to Usagi with her lips who nibbled the fruit until their lips met. Usagi swallowed before she kissed the raven-haired beauty.

"I'm ready." She said and she went in after Rei's piece. Usagi swallowed her prize and licked her lips seductively. Rei sucked the juice off Usagi's chin and slowly kissed those sultry lips back.

"Me too!" she whispered, "How about you try to contact your Queen Mom tonight?" Rei asked her with unmitigated desire in her eyes. Usagi dimpled brightly.

"Did I not say today was going to be a great day?" Usagi placed a delicate pointer finger on the tip of her friend's nose.

"You did indeed. Gods, Usagi, I love you so, so much!" Rei cried and hugged her slight jinja mate a little too vigorously.

"Ooof... Rei, I love you too, but a little air would be nice!" Usagi squeaked out. Rei let go and reddened.

"Sorry, you just made me the happiest woman in the universe!" The Miko expressed a little breathlessly herself. Usagi experienced a pang of guilt as she recollected those very words spoken to Mamoru, not so long ago, by herself.

"I'm glad I can make you happy, My Heart, that means a great deal to me. You make me incredibly happy, too. You just reminded me, though, of something I've recently shared with Mamoru... and I think maybe I'm not as 'over' Mamoru as I thought I was. I should try to be honest and fair to you, Rei." Usagi's voice was quiet. Rei drew her breath in to quell her rapid heartbeat.

"Sweetheart, I will wait for you as long as it takes for you to be healed both mentally as well as physically. We do seem to be moving a little fast." Rei squeezed Usagi's hand who shook her head decisively.

"No Rei, I don't want to wait. I want to be a part of you now before something happens to one of us. I'm terrified I'll lose you unexpectedly and not have our bond in place." Usagi laid her head on Rei's shoulder and allowed herself to melt into Rei's tender embrace.

"I'm not going anywhere, Angel." Rei said gently, "I do know how you feel. I was scared to death while you were sick. I wanted you in my arms the whole time because I was afraid if I let go, you would fade away." Rei swallowed painfully and kissed the platinum blonde hair near her lips. Usagi looked up and gave her a watery smile with a sniff.

"Good. Now we're even because that's how *I* felt when I saw pills and alcohol in your trashcan!" She stated emphatically. Rei kissed Usagi's eyes to remove the wetness, with an 'I'm sorry' between each, then drew her in for tender kisses on the lips.

"Usa, I can feel a foreboding and unshakable 'Senshi kind' of fear from you." Kiss. "I feel it, too, but the fire only shows me shadows right now!" Kiss, kiss. "Mmmm! I think it might have something to do with the 'Gatekeeper', maybe Pluto, though, the face most resembles your mother's love, Makaria." Rei kissed her again then pulled away slightly to look into Usagi's sapphire orbs. "Perhaps it is she who is in danger this time and not one of us." Rei gave her slender jinja mate a quick squeeze.

"Come with me." Rei circled her friend's trim waist and led her over to the Baby Grand. "There's a song I found that I'd like to play for you on the piano, Usagi. Maybe it will bring you some comfort."

Rei patted the end of the bench as she sat down. "Sit. I don't know who wrote this, but whoever did, must have known you and how I feel about you." Rei's fingers glossed over the keyboard with practiced ease, as she sang soulfully.

You're the bravest of hearts,
you're the strongest of souls.
You're my light in the dark,
you're the place I call home.
You can say it's alright,
but I know you're breaking up inside.
I see it in your eyes.
Even you face the night afraid and alone.
That's why I'll be there.

When the storm rises up,
when the shadows descend.
Every beat of my heart,
every day without end.
Every second I live,
that's the promise I make.
Baby, that's what I'll give,
If that's what it takes.

You can sleep in my arms,
you don't have to explain.
When your heart's crying out,
baby, whisper my name.
'Cause I've reached out for you
when the thunder is crashing up above,
you've given me your love.
When you smile like the sun
that shines through the pain.
That's why I'll be there.

When the storm rises up,
when the shadows descend.
Every beat of my heart,
every day without end.
I will stand like a rock,
I will bend 'till I break
'Till there's no more to give,
If that's what it takes.
I will risk everything,
I will fight, I will bleed.
I will lay down my life,
if that's what you need.

Every second I live,
that's the promise I make.
Baby, that's what I'll give,
if that's what it takes.

Through the wind and the rain,
through the smoke and the fire.
Then the fear rises up,
when the wave's ever higher.
I will lay down my heart,
my body, my soul.
I will hold on all night,
and never let go.
Every second I live,
that's the promise I make.
Baby, that's what I'll give,
if that's what it takes.

If that's what it takes, every day.
If that's what it takes, every day.

Usagi recognized it immediately and smiled. "Rei, Celene Dion sang that. I don't know what to say. You have always been there for me, Rei-chan, and I know you will always try to be... and I thank you. I love you back the same way." Usagi assured the Miko. Rei looked a little chagrined.

"I was looking through some of my older albums and found this one. Maybe there's something to be said for a collection of well-written songs sung beautifully." Rei slid her forearm inside Usagi's housecoat and enfolded it around her mate's waist. Usagi leaned trustingly against her.

"You have the most talented voice in the world to me, Rei. You have a tremendous range and a beautiful timbre. I am truly blessed by you!" She pronounced solemnly and enjoyed it immensely when Rei blushed becomingly.

"Um... so tonight after Senshi training, I'll be at my fire to meditate at my usual time. I will leave the decision for our ceremony in your hands, my love." Rei kissed Usagi's cheek. Usagi arched an eyebrow.

"Our fire, Miko-san," Usagi corrected, "and I will be there," she promised and kissed her back on the lips. She smiled as Rei's eyes lit up, then dashed off to the bathroom.

To be continued...

AN: 'If That's What it Takes' was written by Jean-Jacques Goldman

Japanese Terms

Guji- the chief Shinto priest, must be of Johkai ranking
Meikai- priesthood ranking a step below Johkai
Joou- queen
Dango- a sweet bun
Matta ne- again right?