Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Ruins of Atlantis ❯ Reflections and Discoveries ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Sailor Moon and it's associated Characters. Naoko Takeuchi does. I also don't own any rights to the Myth of Atlantis. Far as I know, no one does, since Plato is long dead. I do, however, own Jorowyn/Jordan Mallone/Phaeton Knight. If you'd like to use him in a story, check my Author Page for details.
 
Author's Note: This story idea just sort of popped into my head, so I decided to run with it.
 
This story is pure AU, meaning Alternate Universe. The names might be the same, but their characters, powers, and history are not. Please don't send Flames saying so and so isn't acting in character. That's the whole point of writing in AU. Creative criticism, however, is always appreciated. Especially any grammatical corrections you may have.
 
This story is based partially on the Myth of Atlantis, with my own unique twist. Times will not seem to match up at times during this story, but please bear with it. All will be revealed as the story progresses.
 
This story will alternate, with the first section dealing with various events from Atlantis' past, with the majority of the chapter taking place in modern times.
 
Atlantis existed over 10,000 years ago. Following a Tragic Accident in the middle of Civil War, the majority of it was destroyed, while it's remnant sunk to the relative safety, and isolation of the Ocean Floor in the Atlantic. More of the History of Atlantis will be revealed as the story unravels, usually during the first sequence of each chapter.
 
At this point, I don't believe this will have any lemon scenes. If it does end up that, rest assured that I will inform you all of it, and instruct you on how to obtain those sections, since they violate FF's Policies.
 
Reviews are always welcome. Questions can me e-mailed to me at PhaetonKnight(at)Hotmail(dot)com, or by leaving your question and e-mail in similar format in your review.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ruins of Atlantis
By: Ginsan
 
 
Chapter 1
Reflections and Discoveries
 
 
 
 
Two hundred years.
 
Two hundred years to the day, he had been locked in this cell. Two hundred years that his body had been frozen in Time, to prevent his escape. And it had worked. For two hundred years, his body had remained locked in the same position, exactly where his jailers had placed him.
 
Suspended in midair by Lode Stones. One each on his hands, keeping them spread out from his body. A third binding both his feet together. A forth, attached to his chest. A fifth, and final, one on his forehead. It kept his head tilted back, and preventing him from seeing anything but the ceiling. Not that it mattered. The entire cell was pitch black from lack of light.
 
Yes, for two hundred years, his body had remained suspended in Time. But, they had missed one crucial detail. He doubted it was on purpose. Possibly even a mistake by the one who had been forced to Imprison him. Not that it mattered. After two hundred years, he had grown to accept the situation. After all, two hundred years was a very long time to think things over, while your mind continued to function.
 
He'd forgiven them all for this indignity after the first hundred years. It had been a traumatic period, and making him a scapegoat had probably helped the Queen restore peace over what few subjects were left. He'd even forgiven them for using his own creation, the Lode Stones, against him.
 
If he could have smiled, he would have. He'd created them with Meioh's help back at the beginning of the Rebellion. They created a powerful electrical field. Any being shackled within them as he was now, would have their powers nullified. It had been a stroke of genius, meant to help them hold Galaxia's Puppets in relative peace, until a method could be found to break her hold over them. How ironic, that he been the first, and probably the last, person they had been used on.
 
That had left him the last hundred years to mull over what exactly had happened, that had placed him here. He knew now the What, just not the How. The Time Compressor was never meant to act the way it had. Only someone with as much knowledge as he had, could even begin to sabotage the machine in such a way. While he did have a half dozen assistants on the project, he was the only one with access to the full schematics. No assistant worked on the same section of the machine as another assistant. And he had been the sole person responsible for the construction of the control system, the very thing that had malfunctioned. It was no wonder they all thought he had done it on purpose. He couldn't even put the blame on anybody.
 
His mind reeled in pain as his cell was suddenly filled by blinding light. He couldn't even close his eyes, to block it out. And then, suddenly, he could. His eyes blinked, then began to tear up as he clenched his eyes shut. A hiss of pain left his lips as he could suddenly feel the pain of his body as Time somehow restarted.
 
Soft hands began to gently remove the Lode Stones, as his eyes finally adjusted. He could only make out a blurry form at first. Then, as his body started sinking to the floor, he could see her eyes. Her beautiful, scarlet eyes. It was the last thing he saw, before he slipped into merciful unconsciousness.
 
* * *
 
“Mr. Mallone, we've arrived at the Dig Site.”
 
Snapped out of his dreams, Jordan Mallone, current C.E.O. of Mallone Industries, looked out the window of the helicopter as it approached the landing pad.
 
“Excellent Zackary. Have the preparations been complete?”
 
“Yes sir. The Security detail has sweeped the island and reported all clear. Acquisitions has reported that the last of the paperwork has been completed. All that remains is for you to personally inspect the Site, then select a team to begin the excavations.”
 
Jordan nodded. This was all a formality of course. He knew this was what he'd been looking for all these years. He even had the perfect man in mind already, to begin the excavations. A rising star in the Archeology field, just waiting for the chance to make it big. Yes, this would certainly be enough to get his attention.
 
As soon as the Helicopter landed, his Personal Assistant, Zackary Staziak, wheeled him down the ramp, and up to his waiting Security Captain, and her four man squad.
 
“Amara. How good to see you again. How do you like my latest little island?”
 
The blond woman smirked as she gestured at the island in question, with her left hand.
 
“I'd hardly call this place 'little' Old Man. This island is almost as big as Puerto Rico. How the Hell did it go this long without being discovered?”
 
Jordan laughed, as he waited for Zackary to retrieve their belongings from the Helicopter.
 
“For the very reason I enjoy the Bermuda Triangle so much, dear Amara. No one has ever managed to plumb it's true depths, and solve all it's mysteries.”
 
“Whatever makes you happy Old Man. So long as I keep getting that fat paycheck each week, you can buy up all the islands you want, wherever you want.”
 
“Ever the charmer. Let's have a look shall we?”
 
Jordan nodded his head to Zackary, who began wheeling him down the fascinating road. One of the first discoveries on the island, it was fashioned of smoothed stone, seemingly untouched by the weather even after eons of Caribbean hurricanes.
 
After several minutes, they emerged into a small clearing, the first of many scattered around the island.
 
“These are more intact than most of the island. We counted thirty Sites on the island that we could find. Some are smaller, most are larger. We didn't find many artifacts, most of the buildings seem deserted. Probably looted centuries ago.”
 
“Very likely. Zackary, let's go over to that wall there, the one with the writing.”
 
Zack wheeled Jordan over to the wall in question, and began to examine it with him.
 
It was old. Cracked, and weather beaten, it had certainly seen better days. But the glyphs carved into it were still deep, and distinct. Zack frowned over them as Jordan began muttering quietly under his breath, fingers tracing the glyphs in lines up and down..
 
He'd never seen writing like this before. Combinations of lines and small circles arranged in a nine by nine grids.
 
The longer he started at it, the more he swore he could actually read it. But, that was impossible, wasn't it? How could someone read a language that they had never read before?
 
“Excellent. This is the right island after all. Zackary, let's get back to Base. I need to call in the Archeology Team.”
 
Zack snapped out of his daydream about the glyphs, and quickly turned Jordan's wheelchair, before heading back up the road.
 
“At least you're pleased Old Man. This is what, the sixth island you've bought this year alone?”
 
“And each served a purpose. This one, however, is the shining jewel I have spent decades searching for.”
 
Amara shrugged as they proceeded to Home Base. It took longer than the trip from the Helicopter Pad, but she didn't mind. She couldn't put her finger on it, but there was something comforting about being in his presence. Michelle had mentioned the same thing once, a few months ago. Neither of them were sure just why the old man made them feel that way, but it certainly made working for him much more enjoyable. Especially with his habit of globe hopping to the remotest corners of the planet on a moments whim, and his constant purchases of islands throughout the Atlantic. It had struck them as odd, that he had never purchased anything but Atlantic islands in the 5 years they had been working for him.
 
“I do hope your mind is on your job at the moment, my dear, and not a certain aqua haired lass. I'd hate for you to start acting unprofessional this late in the game.”
 
Amara blushed slightly, embarrassed at being caught daydreaming. She over looked the game comment however. He'd been making it more and more lately. Especially since Black Flame had started raiding their previous Dig Sites.
 
“Excellent. I see almost all the buildings have been set up. Amara, why don't you leave Gregory in charge, and take the helicopter to the mainland. After all your hard work, you and Michelle can have the weekend to yourselves. My treat of course.”
 
Amara sighed, and shook her head. The Old Man was always doing things like this. Other than his Assistant Zackary, she wasn't aware of him treating any of his other employees like this. Then again, the three of them were the ones who saw him the most, outside of the remaining members of the Board of Directors.
 
“Since you never take No for an answer, I suppose we'll have to take you up on the offer. You take good care of him, Zackary.”
 
“Of course. It'll be a cold day in Hell, before I let something happen to him, and risk facing the wrath of Amara Tenoh, Hell's Demoness of Vengeance.”
 
Amara gave him mock punch to the shoulder, before heading off to her quarters to pack. It would be nice to have some time alone with Michelle. Ever since the island had been discovered, the two of them never seemed to be able to match up their schedules.
 
Jordan smiled as he watched Amara take her leave.
 
“Alright Zackary. Let's go to the Communications Room. Might as well call Chiba now. The longer we delay, the more risk of Black Flame discovering what we're up to out here.”
 
“You don't honestly thing they'd be stupid enough for a direct attack here do you sir?”
 
“Zackary my boy, you don't survive very long in this business without preparing for even the most ridiculous circumstance. And yes. I do seriously believe that Black Flame will come here eventually. But, I plan to be done here, before they even get a whiff of what's going on.”
 
“You just enjoy playing the paranoid, eccentric, crippled Billionaire. Admit it.”
 
“OK, I admit it. Now, while I get Chiba on the line, see what you can scrounge up around here for lunch. I'm starving.”
 
“Will do sir.”
 
Zack left him inside the building with the technicians, then headed off to see what passed for food around here.
 
* * *
 
“Yo, Chiba! You got a call. Some guy named Mallone.”
 
Darien Chiba sighed as Jade poked his head into his office to tell him, before ducking back out again. Probably to disassemble and reassemble that motorcycle of his. He really needed to find something for him to do around here, before the University got mad. Again.
 
He spun around to the phone. He picked it up from the cradle, before pressing the hold button.
 
“Darien Chiba speaking. How can I help you Mr. Mallone?”
 
“Ah, but my dear Mr. Chiba. A better question would be, how may I help you. I've recently discovered some rather interesting Ruins on land I purchased. I'm willing to not only completely fund your Dig team, but to provide publishing, and full media coverage for any finds you make in the Ruins. I will do so for a year, minimum. More if the Dig takes longer. I will also provide housing and board for each member of the team you bring along, as well as any future members. Each of you will also be given a small expense account for recreational purposes.”
 
Darien was speechless for several minutes. He didn't know if he was being cruelly pranked, of if the excavation of his dreams had just dropped into his lap.
 
“Who is this really? I won't put up with someone bullshitting me for a cheap laugh.”
 
There was a chuckle on the other end, before 'Mallone' answered back.
 
“Mr. Chiba, I can assure you this is no prank. In fact, I have already sent you a check. It should be in your mail today. The amount should be more than enough to convince you of my intentions. If you don't feel up to the task at hand, please keep the check. Consider it a donation to your department. If you do choose to accept my offer, there will be a cargo plane with additional supplies for your team waiting for you at the Elroy Airstrip. I sincerely hope you will accept my offer, and I look forward to meeting you in person.”
 
The line went dead, and Darien replaced it in it's cradle. He started at it for several minutes, before his Senior Researcher came into the office, Nathan Randolph.
 
“Mail call. You got something from Mallone Industries. What would big-wigs like that want with you?”
 
Darien's mouth suddenly went dry, as his mind clicked. Jordan Mallone. The man on the other end of the phone had been Jordan Mallone. Humanitarian and one of the most eccentric Billionaires on the planet.
 
With numb hands, he took the envelope from Nathan, and carefully opened the envelope. He pulled out the first piece of paper. It appeared to be the flight time for the plane, as well as a general rundown of supplies that would be provided for them. His eyes nearly popped out of his head as he read some of the stuff. Was he being asked to run a Dig Site, or Museum? He set it aside, and reached for the other piece of paper in the envelope. With shaking fingers, he pulled out the check. A quick glance revealed it was from Mallone Industries, signed by Jordan Mallone himself.
 
“Darien, something wrong?”
 
Darien continued to stare at all the zeros on the check, while his head tried to add them all up. Seven zeros, add the one at the beginning. His mind reeled as it tried to comprehend the amount. Ten million dollars. And this was just a starter check.
 
“Boss, you OK?”
 
Darien looked up at Nathan, before numbly handing him the check.
 
He assumed his reaction was similar to the one he just had. Though, he didn't remember feinting.
 
* * *
 
“Are you Darien Chiba?”
 
Darien and his group spun around, as a tall blond in a black and gray camo stepped out of the shadows of the hanger they just walked past. She wore a pair of black Oakley's, which she let slip down to get a good look at his group.
 
Darien nodded his head, as he and the others set their packs down.
 
“Yes, I'm Darien Chiba. Are you with Mallone Industries?”
 
“Yes sir. Amara Tenoh. Mr. Mallone sent me personally to escort you to our Dig Site. If you folks will just follow me, I'll show you to our ride.”
 
Darien's assistants grabbed their gear again, then followed Amara. He had decided on a small group for now, until he found out more about the Dig Site. It was him, his Senior Researcher Nathan Randolph, two of his Grads, and six of his first years. The rattling of a fallen toolkit reminded him of the last member of the group. Jadrian Destry, the team's mechanic. A little brash, but damn good at his job.
 
As they all rounded the corner, it wasn't hard to pick out their ride. A Boeing 747, painted in the traditional Green and Silver color scheme of Mallone Industries, complete with their corporate logo. A emerald colored globe, showing cutouts of the landmasses, and a set of silver wings wrapped around it.
 
Darien himself didn't see anything special about it, though Jade certainly did. He came around the corner and started whistling, practically drooling as he looked over the engines.
 
“You people are serious when you buy a plane. I'm fairly sure some of those modifications aren't legal.”
 
Amara turned to give him a smirk.
 
“Mr. Mallone believes in efficiency, and likes to make sure his company always runs on time. Besides, it's only illegal if you get caught.”
 
She turned back, and climbed aboard, heading for the cockpit, while Jade simply shook his head, and stared at the plane. He didn't know what God Darien had gotten into good graces with to snag this Dig, but he knew it wouldn't be a bad idea to get in good himself.
 
Maybe if he was good, they'd let him have a look at the engines later.