Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sammy's Story ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi.

Author's Note: This is a sequel to the Rebirth series. It takes place about two months after the events in Dark Diamond. Hotaru has moved out of the Tsukino home, and that's all you need to know. (I use the Outers' Japanese names, because I can't stand their American ones)

This is also my first attempt at a fanfic of this nature. Don't say I didn't warn you. I have no ill will or negative feelings for the gay and lesbian population, and even if I did, I'd keep all that stuff to myself. There's enough negativity between the members of the heterosexual population as it is, so why add more?

Summary: When Serena reveals that she's a lesbian, both she and Sammy learn who her real friends are. Written from Sammy's POV.

Sammy's Story 1:
All's Fair in Love & Life Partners


When the rumors started at school, I ignored them. Kids would always make up things, and I had never been dumb enough to believe anything my friends told me. Besides, it was just a stupid rumor. Serena was in love with Darien, and everyone knew it. There was no way that the rumor could be true.

Was there?

I didn't think so. Okay, so Serena did spend a lot of time with girls, but they were all friends. There was nothing wrong with that. Most of my friends were boys, and nobody talked about us that way. But the more I tried to ignore it, the more I heard the rumors that my big sister and her friends weren't just friends. At least, not anymore.

I tried not to let it bother me. I mean, Serena was my sister. Sure, we didn't always get along so great, but if she was into something like that, I think she'd tell me, or at least Mom and Dad.

Then, one day, my whole world was turned upside down.

* * * * *

Reenie and I had been walking home from the arcade together. She was going on about how she and Hotaru had gone to the park recently. I, as usual, was only half-listening. Reenie had been talking about Hotaru nonstop for nearly two months, but I had only seen her once or twice since she moved out. Whenever she came by the house, Reenie always dragged her up to the attic, and she always left right before dinner.

Suddenly, Reenie stopped talking and started running, screaming happily at the top of her lungs. When I caught up to her, she was hugging a frail girl with black hair and black eyes, which seemed a little creepy at first. Reenie introduced her as Hotaru Tomoe. After looking her up and down, I realized that this was indeed the same girl that had lived with us for a month or two. Except I hadn't expected her to be so...cute.

Hotaru shook my hand and asked the usual questions: my age, grade, and hobbies, among other things. She was very polite, and seemed to be genuinely interested in what I had to say. As we talked, I realized that her eyes were actually a dark violet instead of black, as I had first thought. I also noticed that during the whole conversation, Reenie had a firm grip on Hotaru's hand, as if she might fade away at any moment.

I'm not sure how long we talked, but Hotaru made it clear that she couldn't be late getting home (which was an orphanage somewhere on Main Street, Reenie later told me). She said her goodbyes, and with a parting hug for Reenie, she walked away.

Once Hotaru was gone, Reenie asked, "Do you think she's changed since she moved out?"

"She was nice," was all I could come up with.

A sly grin appeared on Reenie's face. "You like her, don't you?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean!" she teased, giggling. "You're in love with Hotaru!"

"No, I'm not!" I cried. "I barely know her, Reenie! Give me a break!"

Reenie stopped teasing, but she kept giving me knowing glances the rest of the way home.

* * * * *

The next day at school went pretty well, until lunchtime. As usual, I sat with Reenie while she talked about Hotaru. Of course, I didn't mind these conversations as much anymore. Though I had only really talked to her day before, Hotaru was quickly becoming the topic of choice between Reenie and I. I asked the questions, and Reenie, who I suspected was the leader and sole member of the Official Hotaru Tomoe Fan Club, (though I was starting to consider joining myself) answered each and every one of them.

I was just asking about Hotaru's family when one of the boys from my art class walked past us. "Hey, there he is!" I heard him whisper. "He's the one with the lesbo sister! I bet that kid with him is in on it, too!"

Without thinking, I grabbed the boy and turned him around. "What did you just say?!" Reenie tried to pull me back, but I shook her off.

"Back off, man!" he shouted. "It's not my fault your sister's a homo!"

By now, a crowd as beginning to form around us. There was no turning back now. "Take it back," I muttered, loudly enough for only him to here. "Do it right now."

The boy looked me straight in the eye. "No."

I drove my fist into his gut, then slammed my elbow into his back. The boy fell to the ground, where I pinned him and made him take the insult back. By the time a teacher pulled me off, he'd also called himself a big, ugly jerk (at my urging).

As the teacher dragged me away, I couldn't help but notice the look on Reenie's face. I would have thought she might be happy that I defended Serena's honor. Instead, she looked very sad. I would find out why later on that night.

* * * * *

Since this was the third fight I'd ever gotten into, I only got a week of detention. I figured if Serena could do it every school day for four years, I could handle a week easily.

Mom had to come to school and talk to the principal while I was in detention. When I finally got out, she was waiting for me. Strangely enough, she didn't say anything until we got home. "Sammy, I'm very disappointed in you. I thought you knew better than to fight."

"Mom, you didn't hear what he said about her!"

"About who, dear?"

"Serena! He said she was-"

Mom cut me off. "Sammy, if what he said made you hit him, I'm sure I don't want to hear it. I think you should go to your room and think about what you've done."

I never did understand that. Thinking about what I'd done only made me madder. That kid had no right to talk about my sister that way. Reenie was too young to defend Serena's honor, but I wasn't. No one insulted my family and got away with it. At least, not when I was sitting right there.

I'd only been in my room an hour or so when someone knocked on my door. "Go away!" I shouted.

Naturally, the door opened, and Serena stuck her head in. "Sammy, could I talk to you for a minute?"

Any other day, I probably would have said no. But I felt like everyone was against me, and if anyone would be on my side, it would have to be her.

Serena closed the door behind her and sat down beside me. "Mom told me what you did today."

"What's your point?"

"She also told me why you did it."

"Oh."

She reached over and squeezed my shoulder. "Sammy, I appreciate you trying to defend me, but maybe you should let some things slide next time."

"No!" I pulled away from her. "Serena, do you know what he called you?!"

"I have an idea. Does that bother you?"

I looked at her in disbelief. "Of course it bothers me! How do you think I feel when people go around and say things like that about you? It makes me want to punch out every one of them! That kid was just lucky the teacher was around, or I'd have-"

"Sammy, it's true."

"What is?"

She looked at me. "I think you know."

For a moment, I could only stare at her. I wasn't sure how I should react, or what I should say. But after she told me, my brain probably stopped working, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "What about Darien?" I realized how stupid the question was as soon as I asked it, but it was too late by then.

"He knows," was all Serena said.

"No, I mean...are you and him...?"

"We're separated for the moment, but not because of this. In fact, this didn't start until after we bro--separated."

There was an awkward silence.

"Do Mom and Dad know?"

"They will in an hour."

"Reenie?"

"Yes."

An alarm went off in the back of my head. "Yes, she knows, or yes, she-"

"She knows," Serena replied sharply. I could tell she knew where I was going with the question, but it wasn't my fault. She was the one that hadn't been honest. Now I wasn't sure of anything anymore.

"Who else knows?"

She took her time in answering. "Molly, Mina, Amy, Rei, and Lita."

"You mean-"

"No, Sammy. Not all of them, anyway. Just Amy and Mina."

I think my face lost most of its color. "You mean...Amy and Mina are...?"

"They are," Serena confirmed.

This was unreal. Mina was every boy's fantasy (my buddies and I could swear to that), and I'd had a crush on Amy for years. But none of that mattered anymore. Still, there was one more thing I had to know for sure.

"Have you...y'know...done it? With both of them?"

A look of disgust crossed Serena's face, but only for a moment. I guess she realized that I was treading on unfamiliar territory. "No."

"Oh. Is it...better than with guys or something?"

Serena's face softened a bit. "It can be, with the right person. But maybe I shouldn't be telling you about this. At least, not right now."

"Uh...yeah, I guess."

She hesitantly reached over and touched my hand. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, Sammy."

For some reason, I started crying. "I just didn't want them talking about you."

Serena gently pulled me into her arms. "It's okay, little brother. You don't have to feel bad. You did the right thing, and I'm very proud of you. So is Reenie." She stroked my hair and kissed my forehead.

The tears stopped after that, but I suddenly felt like a little kid again, back when Mom had to sing me to sleep on my bad nights. For minute, I actually forgot that it was Serena holding me, instead of my mother. It was strange, really. If anyone asked us, both Reenie and I would say we couldn't stand my sister. Yet, there had been several nights when I found Reenie sleeping in Serena's bed, even after she got her own. I couldn't figure out why at first, but now, it was beginning to make sense.

Serena rested her chin on my head. "I heard you ran into Hotaru yesterday."

"Yeah, and... Hey, does she know-"

"I don't think so, but Reenie might have told her."

"Well, why'd you bring her up?"

Serena smiled. "You two never did get to know each other while she was here. I thought you could both use a new friend, that's all."

* * * * *

Over the next few weeks, I slowly got used to the idea that Serena was dating girls now. Apparently, aside from Reenie, I was the only one. Mom and Dad always traded uneasy looks every time Serena had a female friend over. It was getting to the point where they would have been glad to see Serena drag Darien up to her room. Of course, that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

Girls didn't start showing up around the house a lot more, as I'd expected. Instead, Serena spent most of her time at her friends' house. I guess she could sense how uncomfortable Mom & Dad were about the whole situation. I think they were still hoping it was "just a phase."

Everything was more or less the same to me. Serena hadn't really changed; she was still the same ditzy sister I'd always had. She was just seeing different people than she had in the past. Reenie didn't seem to mind at all. In fact, she almost encouraged Serena's choice (but only when Mom & Dad weren't around). When I asked her about it, she just said that she thought it was "sweet."

At Serena's urging (I was actually starting to listen to her these days), I started hanging out with Hotaru. Naturally, that always meant taking Reenie with me, but I didn't mind too much. At least, I didn't at first. But the more time I spent with Hotaru, the more I realized that I'd rather it just be the two of us. I couldn't tell Reenie not to come with me, though. It would hurt her feelings, and then Hotaru would be mad at me, and that was the last thing I wanted. So I devised a plan. It actually worked, too. For the most part, anyway.

* * * * *

We had just finished dinner at our house one night when Reenie excused herself. I had made sure she had plenty of juice at dinner, as it was the most important aspect of my plan. As soon as she was gone, I moved to step two.

"Hotaru, could I ask you something?"

She glanced up from clearing the table. "Sure. What is it?"

I took deep breath, reminding myself that I didn't have time to be nervous. "There's a dance at my school this Friday, and I was wondering, if you weren't busy, maybe you'd like to...um...I mean-"

"Are you asking me out?" she guessed, stopping to look at me.

"Well...yes, but-"

"I...don't know if that's...a good idea," Hotaru said slowly.

I had considered the possibility that she might say no. I mean, she was pretty shy by nature, and didn't really care for big crowds or public places. I just hadn't realized how much it would hurt. Still, my brain wouldn't let me quit so soon. "But why? Don't you like me?"

She blushed and avoided my eyes. "Of course I do. It's just that...Reenie wouldn't like it."

There it was. The one thing I had been most afraid of. If Reenie found out I was trying to get a date with Hotaru, she would probably do her best to kill me. And though most people didn't know it, she was pretty good at martial arts. I'd seen her beat up boys twice her size more than once.

"Hotaru, please," I said. "Just think about it for a while, and then give me your answer."

"Well...o-okay. I'll think about it."

Before she could say anything else, Reenie returned. "What'd I miss?"

"Nothing much," Hotaru replied. She quickly finished clearing the table.

Reenie glanced at both of us suspiciously, but she didn't say anything. However, she kept finding excuses to stay very close to Hotaru for the rest of the night. Hotaru kept giving me nervous glances when she thought Reenie wasn't looking, and Reenie kept giving me dirty looks when she knew Hotaru had been looking.

After Hotaru left, Reenie cornered me. "What'd you say to Hotaru?"

"We just talked about school," I replied. "What's your problem?"

Reenie narrowed her eyes. "I'll find out what you said, Sammy."

"Even if you did, I don't see how it's any of your business. It was between Hotaru and me. It had nothing to do with you."

For some reason, Reenie looked hurt, but only for a moment. Then she glared at me and ran up to her room. A few seconds later, I heard the door slam.

* * * * *

Reenie wasn't at lunch the next day, and I wasn't surprised. She'd been avoiding me all morning, and I had a feeling it would be that way for quite a while. The few times that I actually did see her, she either ignored me completely or turned on her heel and walked the other way.

I decided that Reenie could do whatever she wanted. As long as Hotaru was considering my request, nothing else really mattered. As soon as school was out, I went straight to the orphanage to see her. She was happy enough to see me, but I could tell she still hadn't made up her mind. I asked her to leave me a note somewhere when she had made up her mind.

Naturally, she asked, "Why can't I just call you?"

I went on to explain how when one of my friends called last night, there had been heavy breathing on the line that sounded suspiciously like Reenie's.

"Oh. I see," was all she said.

We talked for a few minutes, but Hotaru then told me that she was expecting Reenie to come over soon. I took the hint and made myself scarce. That turned out to be a bad idea.

I was barely out of the door when Reenie walked up. But she was holding hands with Darien. I suddenly remembered that Serena had said something about visiting Hotaru today.

"Sammy, you okay, pal?" Darien asked, giving me a concerned look.

I realized that my face was frozen in an expression of shock. "Um...yeah, couldn't be better," I replied.

"What are YOU doing here?" Reenie asked.

I decided to have a little fun with her. "Well, Hotaru asked me to stop by, so I did."

Reenie's eyes widened a bit, but then she growled and tried to lunge at me. Fortunately, Darien was still holding her hand, so she didn't have much luck.

I was going to leave right then, but Darien kept asking me questions. How school was, what I was up to, how my friends were. I knew what he was leading up to, but when I tried to warn him of the approaching disaster, he asked the dreaded question.

"How's your sister, Sammy?"

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I put on my best fake smile and said, "Why don't you ask her? She's coming this way."

Darien's face lost most of its color as Serena walked up to us. Reenie was clearly surprised; she'd been so busy glaring at me that she hadn't noticed Serena's approach, either. I, on the other hand, was relieved. This would be my chance to escape.

Serena placed a hand almost possessively on my shoulder. "Hello, Darien," she said smoothly, as if it was something she did every day.

"H-Hi, Serena," he stammered. "How have you been?"

"Just fine. And you?"

"G-Great."

"That's nice." Serena looked down at me. "Let's go, Sammy. Mom's waiting."

"Right," I quickly agreed. As we walked away, I noticed Serena hadn't made any effort to include Reenie in our escape. "Is he always like that?" I asked when we were out of earshot.

Serena smiled. "Only around me."

"But...what about Reenie?"

Serena shrugged. "I don't really need to do anything about her. She knows what I am, and she accepts it. That's all I ask of anyone. Besides, no matter what happens between Darien and I, Reenie is always going to need him in her own way. I don't have any right to keep her from him."

"Am I the only one that thinks Reenie dragged him over there just to try and get you two back together?"

Serena paused for a moment. "I never thought of that. Not that she'd have any luck, but I wouldn't put it past her."

"So you're not going to visit Hotaru today?" I asked.

"Nope. Hotaru knows I don't like to be around Darien anymore, so she'll figure out what happened when Reenie walks in with him."

"And you don't think she'll be upset?"

Serena gave me one of her 'you-have-got-to-be-kidding' looks. "If anything, Hotaru will come to visit me before she gets upset."

* * * * *

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when Hotaru showed up at our door later that night. Serena was making more and more sense to me every day, which I thought was pretty strange. Would all girls start making more sense if they were lesbians?

What did surprise me was that Hotaru had brought two women with her. I didn't recognize them at first, but then I remembered them from a photo I once found in Serena's room. Hotaru introduced them as Haruka & Michiru.

I almost assumed Haruka was a man, but Serena had been giving me some pointers on what she jokingly called 'lesbian etiquette'. This included fashion, fortunately, and I just happened to notice that while Haruka was dressed like a man, she definitely had feminine features. Of course, I was no expert, so it took a bit of staring before I realized this. A little too much staring, as I soon found out.

"Is there something on my face?" Haruka asked suddenly.

I blinked. "Huh? Um...no! I was just...um..."

Hotaru tugged on Michiru's arm and whispered something to her. Michiru smiled and did the same to Haruka. The older women giggled quietly about something while Hotaru led me away.

"I guess you know they're lesbians now," she said.

"I knew the taller one was, after a while. That's why I was staring."

Hotaru smiled. "She knows. Haruka's used to that reaction."

"Are they friends of yours?" I asked.

"Yes, but they actually came to see Serena."

This quickly became obvious, because Serena, Haruka, Michiru, and Reenie all came into the hallway. Most of them were wearing coats, and when Hotaru began to put hers on, I figured it was all girl gathering that I wouldn't have much interest in.

So when they headed for the door, I was a little surprised to hear Michiru suggest that I go with them.

Everyone else (including me) stopped and looked at her.

"What?" she asked. "I think it's a perfect opportunity for Sammy to gain some much needed knowledge on certain...subjects."

The girls all traded looks before Serena walked over to me and asked, "Sammy, do you want to go with us?"

I was about to say no when I realized something. Since Serena had admitted she was a lesbian, Mom, Dad, and Darien, three people she trusted a great deal, had suddenly become uncomfortable around her. All because she was dating different people now. It wasn't fair to her, and it wasn't fair to me and Reenie, either. They were forcing us to choose sides, and though I never thought I'd admit it, I was on Serena's. She needed to know that I didn't have a problem being her brother.

And if all that wasn't convincing enough, there was a pleading look on Hotaru's face. Whatever it was, I finally agreed to go.

On the way to the car, Serena told me that we were going to the temple on Cherry Hill. I remembered that Rei lived up there, and that Serena often went there with her friends.

Haruka's sports car wasn't exactly made for six people, so four of us had to sit in the back. After some debate (most of it by Reenie, who didn't seem to want me near Hotaru), it was decided that Reenie would sit in Serena's lap. Neither of them had a problem with that. However, since that left the rest of the backseat for Hotaru and me, Reenie did have a problem with it. She kept shooting me dirty looks, even after Hotaru volunteered to sit next to her and Serena.

About the halfway through the trip, Hotaru took my hand and squeezed it gently. Not knowing what else to do, I squeezed back and returned the warm smile that she gave me. Only she didn't let go just then.

I didn't even realize it until we arrived at the temple, but Michiru had been watching us the whole time, a tiny smile on her face.

* * * * *

Rei's grandfather met us at the temple gates. One by one, he took our coats and promptly handed them to Chad, who was nearly buried under the weight. Grandpa Hino led us to what he called Rei's relaxation room and said to call Chad if we needed anything.

I was slightly surprised to find Molly, Mina, Lita, and Amy already talking with Rei. It suddenly occurred to me that I was the only straight male in the room, which just made me more uncomfortable. However, I didn't have time to think about running, as Michiru made a point of dragging me inside. She sat me between Hotaru and a silent woman I hadn't noticed before. She had long, green hair and the kind of eyes that made a person seem older than they really were.

Michiru simply told me that her name was Setsuna and she wasn't a lesbian. I was glad she did, because out of force of habit, I was starting to suspect every female I met. Hotaru leaned over and whispered, "Be nice to Setsuna-mama; I don't think she thinks very highly of you, thanks to Reenie." At that point, Setsuna glanced at me, and as her cold gaze passed over me, I had a sudden urge to wet my pants and run away screaming.

The girls talked about trivial things at first, and my attention started to wander. After what seemed like hours, Haruka cleared her throat. I looked up to find everyone looking at me. "What?" I asked innocently.

Michiru spoke up. "Sammy, do you know why we asked you to come here?"

I glanced around the room and quickly decided this wasn't the time to make a joke. "Not really." I thought I heard something like a snort from Setsuna's direction, but when I glanced at her, she was looking at Reenie, who was, of course, looking straight at me.

"Well, you're obviously aware of the changes your family has been going through lately, and we know that you might be a bit...confused. So we're going to answer any questions you might have to the best of our ability."

"You mean you're ALL lesbians?" I asked in disbelief. I had been under the impression that most lesbians didn't like to talk about themselves, much less reveal the truth to anyone else.

"Not ALL of us," Lita replied with a smile. "Some of us, like Rei and myself, are just trying to support our friends and the decisions that they've made."

"So you planned this whole meeting just so I could ask you questions?"

"Not exactly," Serena replied. "This meeting is for Hotaru and Reenie's benefit, as well. They know just as much as you do, if not less."

"Okay." I decided to get the biggest mystery out of the way first. "What is it that made you al--uh, SOME of you...decide to be lesbians?"

"It's not always a choice," Amy said. "In my case, it just...happened. One day, I knew what I wanted in a guy, and the next, I woke up in bed with a girl."

There were several surprised looks.

"What? I thought we were being honest."

"We are," Rei agreed, blushing a little. "We just didn't know you'd say it like that."

"Well, it was curiosity in my case," Molly said. "I wanted to know what the big deal was, and it really wasn't that big a deal at all. Of course, Melvin still doesn't get it, but he took me back, so I-"

"Wait," I interrupted. "You were straight, then you were a lesbian, and now you're straight again?"

"I know it sounds strange," she admitted, "but I was only a lesbian for about three weeks. After that, I realized that it wasn't for me."

"This next question might be a bit personal, so I'm not sure I should ask it."

"No, go ahead," Michiru insisted. "Ask away."

I swallowed nervously. "Um...please don't take this the wrong way, but...how many of you have slept with my sister?"

"Two," Serena replied, not missing a beat. "If they're comfortable enough with admitting it, they'll tell you who they are."

"I was the first," Molly said. "I don't know who the other was..."

"I guess it's not really my business, anyway," I quickly added, noticing the frown Setsuna was giving me. However, it wasn't because of my question. It was the fact that Hotaru was holding my hand again.

"I've got a question for you, Sammy," Mina said. "Do you feel any differently about us or Serena, now that you know we're lesbians?"

"Sure. I mean, I used to think being one was a bad thing, but it's really not a big deal. It took some getting used to, but being around Serena made me realize that lesbians are real people, just like anyone else. I feel like I could talk to one I don't know and not be that uncomfortable."

"So has your opinion of your sister changed?" Setsuna asked.

"Yeah, I guess it has. I used to think she was a typical blond: all looks and no brains. But these past few days have shown me a side of her that I never knew before. A side I'd be proud to tell anyone about, really. I won't get in any more fights because someone called her a lesbian, but I'll slug the first guy that says anything bad about her."

Serena smiled at me from across the room, and she wasn't the only one. Everyone else was, too...except for Setsuna, anyway.

* * * * *

After the meeting ended, Serena rushed over and gave me a big hug. "I'm really proud of you, little brother," she said, kissing my forehead. "You've really grown up into a respectable young man."

"A handsome one, too," Michiru added, giving me a peck on the cheek. To my credit, I only swooned a little. I don't care what anyone says about lesbians, being kissed by a woman that looks like Michiru is always a pleasure (even if you know it won't go any further than that).

Haruka took me aside a little later. "You know, you're lucky to have Moonface for a sister, kid. Take good care of her, or your next fight will be with me." To emphasize this, she stuck a fist in my face. Other than when Setsuna looked at me, I can honestly say that I've never been more afraid of a woman.

My reply was something along the lines of a whimpered, "Yes, sir."

Haruka smiled and let me go, but I knew she was watching as I took my seat in the car.

The ride home was mostly uneventful, until I felt a sudden pressure on my neck and shoulder. Hotaru had fallen asleep on my shoulder. Reenie had nodded off as well, and Serena was gently stroking her pink hair, humming a strange but beautiful song that I'd never heard before. I forgot for a moment that Reenie was our cousin, because at that moment, I would have sworn that Serena was her mother. The more I watched them together, the more common this image became.

Finally, realizing how late it was and how tired I was, I slipped an arm around Hotaru and gently laid my head against hers. Just before my eyes closed, I thought I heard a whisper from the front seat, but I was asleep before I knew it.

* * * * *

"Sammy, wake up!" a voice hissed in my ear.

I opened my eyes to see Reenie standing outside the car, a frown on her face.

"What?" I asked innocently.

Reenie gestured angrily to Hotaru, who was still asleep on my shoulder. "Care to explain?"

"There's nothing to explain," I replied. "She fell asleep."

Reenie narrowed her eyes, and she started to turn away, as if she was leaving. Then she spun around, her fist catching the tip of my chin. Still, even that was enough to throw me against the seat. The next thing I knew, Reenie was on top of me, slamming her fists into any part of me she could reach. "I won't let you take Hotaru away from me!" she screamed, pulling at my hair.

I managed to open my mouth, but not for long. "Reenie, what-"

"YOU CAN'T HAVE HER!" Reenie shrieked, her fist connecting with my jaw.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around Reenie's waist and pulled her away. When my vision cleared, I could see that they belonged to Serena. Somehow, I'd ended up on the ground. I figured Reenie must have pulled me out of the car. She was still screaming her head off, struggling in Serena's arms.

Gentle hands touched my shoulders. "Are you all right, Sammy?" Michiru asked, helping me stand.

I didn't answer, partially because my jaw felt broken, but mostly because I felt pretty embarrassed. I mean, Reenie was almost half my height. I could always say I'd let her hit me, but something told me that it wouldn't do much good.

Suddenly, a pair of cold hands pressed against my cheeks, and my head was turned until Hotaru came into view. She was studying my face intently, possibly looking for some signs of internal bleeding. I began to wonder just how hard Reenie had hit me, because I thought I could see a green glow on either side of my face. But that was impossible, since they would've been coming from Hotaru's hands. Still, I didn't have time to think about it as I fell into a peaceful sleep.

* * * * *

I didn't wake up until the next morning. I found that my wounds were gone, and that I felt no pain at all.

I also found a slip of paper in my pocket. On the front side, printed in Hotaru's graceful script, were the words, "Pick me up at seven." On the back was her phone number.

I was so happy that I nearly forgot two very important things.

The dance was only a day away, and I still had to deal with Reenie.

To Be Continued in
Sammy's Story 2: The Battle for Hotaru's Heart