Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sanity Found in Love ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
lol, ok so that wasn't as long as I thought it was going to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Through out the week that Haruka had been at the hospital she had been showing signs of waking up. An occasional mumble here or there and once her eyes even flashed open for the briefest of seconds. Dr. Mizuno had been hovering around the floor that Haruka was on just incase she woke up. Even the nurses were paying particular attention to that room.

" Paging Dr. Mizuno, private call," was blared over the P.A. system.

As she made her way through to her office she wondered if it was her mother. She missed her a lot now that she hardley ever saw her. Both of them were doctors and worked at seperate hospitals. Trying to find time for each other with their busy schedules was hard. It was damn near a miracle when they both managed to get the same day off. Her heart gave a small pang as she answered the phone.

" Hello, Dr. Mizuno speaking."

" Hey Ames its Mina. I was wondering when you had those days free so I could bug Usa."

" Well let me see." Ami looked around her desk for her work sheet. She couldn't believe the clutter on her desk.

Mina started to chuckle when she heard the frustrated sigh over the line. " I bet it's time to clean your desk again isn't it."

"Oh shut it."

That made Mina laugh even harder. She knew her friend was a stickler for cleanliness.

" Ah ha! Found it."

" I figured that when you yelled 'ah ha'." Mina stated dryly.

" Anyways, I have a mini vacation starting this Sunday." Ami was suprised so she checked the sheet three more times. She chuckled to herself. " Maybe I should check this more often Mina."

Mina giggled in response. " Are you going to try to spend some time with your mom first on Sunday before we go to Usa's?"

" A bit optomistic of you isn't that. You haven't even called Usa yet, how do you know we are able to come over?"

" You know her, this close to her vacation time makes her all ansty. She will be canceling appointments left and right."

"Too true," Ami laughed. " Ok, call her up. Make sure she thinks it's her idea though."

" Don't worry, thats how I planned it anyhow. I'll call you later when I get this hammered out. Will you be home early tonight?"

" I don't know. Haruka has been showing signs of waking up today, so I might hang around awhile."

Mina just shook her head. She knew that once a patient was this close to recovery Ami practically lived at the hospital. " Ok, I'll call later then. Bye Ami."

" Bye Mina."

Ami set the phone in the cradle and sighed. Now she knew Mina was determined. Once she got her mind on something it was hard to get her off of it.

" Paging Dr. Mizuno, we need you in room 202."

Ami's head shot up. That was Haruka's room. She jumped up out of her chair and took off at a run down the hallways. As she rounded the corner close to room 202 she could hear some voices. One of them was husky and a little deeper than the rest. As Ami came into the room she could see Haruka sitting up. She looked confused. Ami ushered out everyone but one nurse.

Ami needed to know the extent of brain damage so she could see how much work would need to be done to help her. " Hi I am Dr. Mizuno. You were in a car accident so I am going to have to ask you a few questions."

Haruka blinked a few time then nodded her head.

"First I need to know your name." Ami could see Haruka struggling.

" It's Ruka. Ruka ..... I don't remember my last name." Haruka said in defeat. her shoulders slumped a little.

" It's ok, you'll remember later. Are you sure your name is Ruka and not Haruka?"

" Yeah it's Ruka, not Haruka, why?" Haruka looked at Ami quizically.

" Oh no reason, just making sure." Ami was starting to get worried. If she couldn't remember her proper name this might be worse than she thought it was going to be. " Do you know what city you are in right now?"

" Umm...Toyama. I was practising.." Haruka's eyebrows drew together in concentration. She was starting to get frustrated. " I don't remember what I was practising. It was for something in Tokyo."

Ami looked sad. She really didn't want to tell Haruka that they are actually in Tokyo. " Ruka, we are in Tokyo. You had the accident here."

Haruka's eyebrows shot up and she started to look paniced. Her breathing picked up and so did the heart monitor.

" SHHH, it's going to be alright Ruka. We are here for you and we are going to help you as much as we can. We need you to calm down first though." Ami sighed. She was going to have to call Usagi and have her come into the hospital and start as soon as she could. Ami got a pen light out of her pocket. She needed to check pupil response. " Here Ruka hold still a minute. I need to check your pupil response. So I am going to need you to look forward for a minute." Ami ran the pen across both eyes and was happy to see they dialated correctly. " Ok now I want you to follow the light with your eyes." Ami then ran the pen from side to side then up and down. Haruka only moved her head slightly when the pen light went up. Ami was satisfied though. There wasn't any extensive damage. Just memory loss. She was beginning to wonder if they were going to have to cancel this weekend. Both her and Usagi were going to be working with Haruka for the time being. Ami ran her hand through her short dark blue hair in frustration. She was looking forward to the weekend. Maybe they would still be able to hang out during the nights. " Ok Ruka I need to go make a phone call then I will be back to talk to you some more."

Haruka looked up at Ami,"Ok, when are you going to tell me what happened?"

" I don't know. We are going to wait to see if you remember first. I'll be right back. The nurse will help you with anything you need." Ami turned to the nurse and whispered, " Could you have someone from the kitchens bring her a bowl of some broth? No solid foods yet. She hasn't eaten in a week. Don't tell her she has been out for a week yet. She'll just panic." Ami waved bye to Haruka and left the room.

When Ami got to her office she ploped down into her chair and sighed. She then leaned across her desk and layed her head down. Ami felt bad for Haruka. These next couple of months were going to be tough for her. After a few minutes Ami sat back up and picked up the phone. She hoped that Mina hadn't got a hold of Usagi yet.

" Hello, Dr. Tsukino's office, How may I help you?"

Ami briefly wondered who was on the phone then remembered that Usagi had picked up a temp secretary about a month back. " Oh, this is Dr. Mizuno I need to speak to Dr. Tsukino about a patient of ours."

" Ok, One minute please she is with a client," replied the overly forced perky voice.

As Ami was on hold, she laughed. Usagi's new secretary was not cut out to deal with answering phones. After a minute or two of listening to elevator music she heard a click.

" Hey Ami, what can I do for you? Wait, your not canceling on us are you?" Usagi's voice held a small note of disapointment.

" Hi Usa, oh no, I'm not canceling. At least I hope not. I'm not sure yet. The thing is Haruka woke up a few minutes ago. I could use you here right away. The last thing she remembers is practising for something in Toyama. I don't even think she remembers she is a race car driver." Ami leaned back in her chair waiting for a response from Usagi.

After a brief silence Usagi answered, " I'll be over in an hour or so. I have to finish with this session then I have to cancel the rest of the afternoons appointments."

" Thank you so much Usa. I am going to need all the help I can get with her. I think she will be cleared to leave with you by the end of next week. You are going to have to sign some waivers though."

"That's fine. I expected to have to sign something. I'll see you in a little while Ami, bye."

" Bye Usa, and thanks again." Ami hung up the phone then started to massage her temples. She decided today was going to be a long day and it wasn't even lunch yet.