Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Grey ❯ Truths ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Ok, I realize Usagi's majorly out of character sometimes, but keep in mind what she's been through, and is still trying to deal with.

Title: Shades of Grey

Authors: Moonlight Storm

E-mail: MoonlightStormSM@aol.com

Genre: Romance/Action/AU

Season: 1st

Disclaimer: Nope. Don't own Sailor Moon. Think of something witty yourself and insert it here.

~*~

"Mamoru-san, we might as well come to a truce. Setsuna-san has a way of getting what she wants," Usagi stated, thinking somewhat cynically of Setsuna's own cajoling in order to force Usagi to follow the older woman.

"Really Odango, I never thought I'd see you so ready to apologize to me," Mamoru drawled, draping an over the back of his couch.

At this comment Usagi immediately shot up from her seat on a chair near to Mamoru.

"Me? Apologize? For what? The only thing I've ever done is suffer your tormenting!"

"Aw, I'm hurt Odango," he gave her a wounded look.

Usagi glared and held herself self-righteously to her full height, barely topping five feet.

"Listen you, I didn't want to come here in the first place, but Setsuna-san dragged me. For some reason she wants us to be able to get along aside from our alter egos, so that's what we'll do. I suppose I can see her thinking, planning strategies or something outside of a battle for once," she shrugged.

"But in order for this to work, we both need to shape up. For some reason, I feel compelled to trust this woman, which only makes me more inclined to not trust her. However, since we probably should be… working together more cooperatively anyway, I guess its worth the effort. We really should try and figure out what Setsuna-san's doing here, and why she's helping us, and how she knows so much."

Usagi boldly stuck her hand out in Mamoru's reach.

"Truce?"

Glancing quickly up into her unreadable cerulean eyes, Mamoru grasped her hand to seal their newfound truce.

Usagi smiled brightly at him before throwing herself down onto the couch next to her new ally.

`Well, that part's over, now I guess we wait for Setsuna…I don't feel quite ready to ask him anything else yet. Like, how he became a vampire, or, for that matter, Tuxedo Kamen. Does he have a magical cat too or something?'

Usagi glanced around nervously. Luna was enough to handle, thank you very much.

"Ne, Mamoru-san?"

"Hai? What is it?" he answered.

"You wouldn't happen to have a magical cat around, would you?"

Mamoru subtly edged away from the girl, blinking twice before answering cautiously.

"No… Should I?"

Usagi grinned happily at him.

"No, it's actually rather good you don't. Do you remember that black cat with the crescent moon shaped bald spot? And how she was never far from Sailor Moon? Didn't you ever notice I had the exact cat? Anyway, I told you about her when we were trapped after the last youma fight. Since you're fighting the Dark Kingdom too, I was hoping a magical cat didn't give you your powers too."

He nodded.

"Right."

Setsuna then calmly entered the apartment, and took a seat near Usagi and Mamoru.

"I'm assuming you two have begun to work out your differences, and with that accomplished, I believe I shall take my leave of you."

Usagi objected at once, "But I'm still confused. Who are you?"

Without answering, Setsuna merely stood.

"That shall be revealed later, Usagi-chan. However, I believe you, Luna, Mamoru, and Ami should start strategizing the next move against the Dark Kingdom. Occasionally, perhaps, I shall help you. In any case, expect to be seeing me often."

The emerald-haired woman then strode confidently from the apartment, leaving Usagi and Mamoru within.

Usagi blinked.

"Ok…" Before sneaking a glance at her watch.

"Oh no! Its already 5:30, okaa-san could be up any minute. Luna's gonna kill me… I have to go."

While hurriedly putting her shoes back on, Usagi continued, "Luna will probably want to talk to us later. I guess I'll see you at the Crown later, ja ne."

Following Setsuna's example, Usagi left his apartment without giving Mamoru a chance to respond. Racing desperately down the street, Usagi kept looking at her watch, and hoping her mother wouldn't check on her "sleeping" daughter for another hour yet.

~*~

Breathing a sigh of relief, Usagi found her room still empty, without a panicky family to greet her. Luna was apparently still gone, leaving Usagi to catch a few precious minutes worth of sleep before her mother would come to awaken her for school. Tumbling into bed after changing her clothes, Usagi quickly fell asleep.

~*~

Finding Ami during lunch at school, Usagi coaxed her into leaving the library long enough to eat lunch with Usagi outside.

"Ami-chan! How can you stand to stay in the library while you eat? My grades are better than they used to be, but I still don't want to spend every waking moment studying."

`More like any waking moment studying. At least now studying seems easier than it was before Ghyard bit me. I wonder if it's a side effect, to have enhanced concentration, or if its just all in my head?'

"Anyway, I have some things I need to talk about to you and Luna later."

Usagi dropped her voice.

"Senshi business, potentially very serious. There are several new… developments, I need to tell you two about. After school we'll walk to the park together, all right? I told Luna this morning to be waiting on a bench we can meet her at, since cats aren't allowed in the Crown, and I can't always sneak her in."

"New developments? What do you mean Usagi-chan?" Ami questioned.

Usagi quickly glanced around their area, checking for anyone nearby who could be listening.

"I can't really say right now. I'd rather not have to explain it twice."

Just then, the bell rang, signaling the beginning of the next class and effectively cutting off any further conversation. Usagi waved, "Ja Ami-chan, I'll meet you after school in the front."

~*~

AN: Ok, I'm ending it there. This chapter did not want to be written. It feels kinda forced, doesn't it? Leave a review, please? Or e-mail me at MoonlightStormSM@aol.com. I love getting reviews. A lot. And they inspire me to write… I really need inspiration right now. Please please please review. Thanks for taking the time to read.