Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Grey ❯ New Developments ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Enjoy the story, and review me? Please? Or you can e-mail me at MoonlightStormSM@aol.com and I promise I always respond to any e-mails I get. So on with the fic.

Title: Shades of Gray

Author: Moonlight Storm

E-mail: MoonlightStormSM@aol.com

Genre: Romance/Action

Season: 1st

Disclaimer: Ok, since it's late, and I'm not feeling incredibly witty today, insert your own personal favorite disclaimer here, mmk? I'll make it simple. I don't own Sailor Moon.

~*~

"Nani?"

Usagi's eyes were wide and her jaw hung slightly open.

"What are you talking about Mei'oh-san?"

Setsuna glanced at her calmly, not at all shocked at the younger girl's reaction.

"Call me Setsuna, I'm not all that old. Besides, I think you know quite well what I'm speaking of."

`Could it be Ghyard's doing? Is that what this is about? Or could it be my new found job as a Senshi?'

As Usagi's thoughts tumbled over themselves, Ikuku reentered the room laden with a tray of tea and cups. Before the blue-haired woman could put the refreshments on the table Setsuna stood purposefully.

"I'm sorry to be rude Ikuku-chan, but I must go. I'd nearly forgotten an appointment I must keep. Ja ne."

Ikuku blinked abruptly.

"Ja ne Setsuna-chan."

Usagi's mother showed the young woman out while Usagi crept upstairs to her room.

`If she is from Ghyard he'll probably contact me, so I won't have to worry about her. If she somehow knows I'm Sailor Moon, I could ask Luna if she knows what's going on. But if she is from Ghyard Luna would start asking and I don't know what I'll do if she finds out what I am. Then again it could have just been an innocent comment to make conversation.'

Usagi laughed bleakly.

`But with my life how likely is that?'

A petite hand opened the door to her room.

"Luna? Are you here yet?"

No answer reached her ears. Delicate shoulders formed a shrug, "Guess she's still out. At least I won't need to make an excuse to go out tonight.

~*~

The half moon shone high in the sky illuminating Usagi's room easily. Although pink and white were still the main theme, splashes of darkness adorned the walls to reflect her changed outlook on life. The blaring digital numbers on her bedside clock read 12:03 A.M., and still no sign of Luna. Perfect.

The girl's dark figure was shrouded in a black cloak, which covered her head to toe. She had found it in a thrift store and immediately bought it. The garment swirled around her form dramatically as she leapt out of her second story window to land graceful as a cat below it. At times it seemed she could only walk upright without tripping when she embraced the natural agility and elegance of her vampiric nature.

She moved quickly down her street; flitting from shadow to shadow, heading towards the downtown area. There were always good pickings and easy prey down there. Now she stood in the lee of a building toward the heart of her town. And it WAS her town, she'd never sensed another vampire in her territory besides Ghyard, and he was allowed due to their… interesting relationship.

`Not that I could keep him out if I wished it. He's much stronger and more experienced than I.'

Usagi's train of thought was cut short by the arrival of a nondescript man across the street. He wore similar clothes to her, all dark, and gave the general impression of someone you wouldn't look at twice if you saw them on the street. It was that very quality that made Usagi take a closer look at him.

Greasy hair, not so bad as to attract attention, just disheveled. Nice clothes, but slightly dirty and rumpled, which created the impression of not being as well off as he must be. It was the vacant eyes and paper bag that gave him away for what he was though; the man could be nothing but a drug dealer. And when a young boy who could be no older than 12, that just happened to bear a slight resemblance to her brother approached him, she could barely restrain her anger.

`The very idea! Selling stuff like that to an mere child! Calm down Usagi… For all you know the man works the graveyard shift and brings a meal; the boy could just be an insomniac and out for a midnight stroll.'

It became evident seconds later her first suspicions were true when the boy slipped the shifty man a wad of bills and got the bag in return. This was Usagi's moment to intercede. She was across the street and in front of the only other people on the sidewalk in under a second.

"Gentlemen. What have we hear?"

Usagi tore the bag out of the child's hands with ease.

"Look lady-" the older man was swiftly cut off by a calculated glare.

She placed her hand on the boy's forehead and healed of any addiction he had, and replaced what memories she could with random events. The current memory she erased to replace it with an innocent walk after a study session. Usagi released the boy and gently pushed him n the direction he had originally been walking from. Then she turned to the soon-to-be victim's wide eyes and smiled.

"And now for the main course."

He didn't even have time to scream. Hidden in the deepest shadows, if one was a casual observer, one MIGHT have been able to see a strand of emerald hair disappear into the darkness. Leaving Usagi with the sudden onslaught of guilt.

~*~

Mamoru released the unconscious man and let him fall back against the park bench. And now came the self-loathing; the berating of himself for sponging off other humans to live. Oh, the irony. His dream was to be a doctor, to help people, yet now he lived off other's blood.

Ruby eyes flashed in concern under the cover of a hooded sweatshirt. `They're both losing hope. They think themselves unworthy of living. If only they knew. If times were as they should be… But if times were as they should be I wouldn't be here right now. So I shall work with what I have been given. As it stands, some secrets must be bared.'

~*~

Usagi walked home without seeing another soul. Until she was almost halfway to her destination, that is. Then a tall woman casually dressed, stepped into Usagi's path. Amber eyes stared out from beneath a hood with unearthly light.

"Usagi-chan, there is someone you must meet. Come," the soft, lilting voice sounded familiar.

"Setsuna-san!"

Usagi's mind connected the voice with a name and face.

"What are you doing out this late?"

Setsuna arched her eyebrows under the cover of her hood.

"I could ask you the same thing. Aren't you a little young to be walking the streets after dark?" she questioned, knowing full well what the younger woman was doing.

Usagi shrugged nonchalantly, "I couldn't sleep so I deci-"

The hooded figure stopped her before she could finish the lie.

"I already told you I know your secret Usagi-chan."

The blonde eyed her carefully before out bursting, "What are you talking about?"

Setsuna took two calculated steps forward, "You, my friend, are a vampire. Not even mentioning that you're the Senshi of love and justice, Sailor Moon," and also the Moon Princess, she finished silently.

"How, how do you know that?" the golden child sputtered.

"I think I'll let you figure that one out. But for right now you must strengthen your bonds to a certain young man."

Setsuna then strode confidently into the darkness, dragging Usagi with her.

~*~

A few minutes later, the pair arrived at chic apartment building at least 15 stories tall. The taller woman sauntered past the security guard casually and motioned for Usagi to do the same. They slipped past the guard, busy reading a trashy tabloid, easily. Setsuna immediately headed for the elevator after assessing the lobby and finding it deserted.

"Setsuna-san! Where are you taking me? Okaa-san is going to wake up and find me gone and punish me and it will be all your fault!"

Setsuna didn't even look at her while pushing the button for the floor she desired as she replied, "No she won't. Hush."

Usagi glared into space defiantly, crossed her arms, and stuck her aristocratic nose in the air, playing the act of an affronted lady. The older woman merely rolled her eyes at the antics of her companion and took hold of her arm as the elevator dinged the floor they were at. A quick check of the door numbers and Setsuna had found the one she wanted.

"Setsuna-san, it's very late. They're probably sleeping. They don't want to be bothered at this time of night. Can I go home now?"

Before Usagi could continue her tirade the door opened to reveal a mussed up Mamoru. His hair lay in its normal style, excluding the locks that stuck out at all angles. He wore no shirt, but sweat pants adorned his legs.

"Mamoru-baka! What am I doing here Setsuna-san?"

The said woman strode thought the open door, dragging Usagi with her, which left Mamoru to trail along behind them.

"Mamoru-kun, don't even open your moth. You don't know me, but I know a lot about you. Usagi and yourself have a few things to settle."

Usagi took up her airs as an affronted lady again, "What does HE have to do with anything?"

Setsuna took a seat, leaving the two younger parties standing in the middle of the room.

"Odango, what, may I ask, are you and this woman- "

"Setsuna," she interrupted.

"You and Setsuna doing at my apartment," he finished.

The blonde glared, "How am I supposed to know! She dragged me along here." Setsuna took her turn to speak then.

"As I said, you two have some delicate affairs to settle."

After assessing her charges, Setsuna came to the conclusion that in this case she could not be as subtle as she normally was.

"Alright, I'm going to tell you in simple words. You," she pointed to Usagi, "are a vampire. You are a vampire BECAUSE she's a vampire. You are Tuxedo Kamen, and you are Sailor Moon." The emerald haired woman gestured to each person accordingly.

"Nani?!" The pair cried out at the same time.

"How can this be possible?! Not only is he a vampire, but he's my savior as Sailor Moon!" Setsuna cut her off before Usagi could start another fight.

"Let's get one thing straight. I know more about each of you than you know about yourselves right now. You can ask Luna about this Usagi-chan, she should remember that much at least. I'm going for a walk. By the time I get back, I expect you two to have kissed and made up."

Two sets of panicked blue eyes flew to the green haired woman. She grinned wickedly and added, "So to speak."

And with that she was gone.

AN's: Well, ok, another chapter down, who knows how many more to go. Anyway, I said most of what I wanted to in the beginning notes, except PLEASE e-mail me. E-mail gooooood. Get it? So are reviews. Just so we're clear.