Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Superman Tonight ❯ Superman Tonight ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Written for a very dear and wonderful friend of mine; may she enjoy it!

Superman Tonight

Who's going to save you

When the stars fall from your sky

And who's going to pull you in

When the tide gets too high

Who's going to hold you

When you turn out the lights

I won't lie I wish that I

Could be your superman tonight

Seiya wanted to be her Superman.

Sure, Superman was a Terran creation; a character in American comics (America, that's where he was, but not really, so far away and yet so close, so close to her, always), and okay, Usagi was definitely no Lois Lane.

But that was why Seiya loved her.

She was clumsy, and spastic, and didn't always use her intelligence, and several other things that made him want to shake his head in confusion. But despite all these characteristics, she was also kind and gentle, intensely compassionate, and brilliantly intuitive.

So she could be loud and occasionally childish; she could also be the last rock holding everyone up when the world began to crumble, the pillar of strength that everyone relied on.

She was so strong.

And it was that very strength that made Seiya want to swoop down and scoop Usagi up, carry her away to a place where she'd never have to worry about fighting, about saving the planet or the galaxy or even all of existence. Seiya wanted to take away all of her cares and worries and fears, so that she could just spend the rest of eternity smiling and laughing, the way she was supposed to.

But Seiya was no Superman. At least, not her Superman.

Oh, Seiya knew that Usagi loved her, but Usagi loved everybody. That was just how Usagi was. And Seiya had the sneaking suspicion that Usagi might not always see her specifically as a female, but instead as `a person'. Which wasn't a bad thing, per se, just… well, it wasn't how Seiya wanted Usagi to look at her.

Seiya wanted to be her Superman.

But Usagi already had a Superman. In fact, she had several `Superpeople.' But only one of them was Usagi's Superman - and it wasn't Seiya. But he wasn't even here! Usagi's Superman was nowhere to be found; which, admittedly, was no fault of his own (how could anyone really stand in the face of Galaxia's ambition; anyone except the brightest and most powerful star of all). So why couldn't Seiya step in?

Was it because Seiya already had a princess - had Kakyuu? Yes, that made things even more twisted and confusing. Seiya was Sailor Senshi to the Princess Kakyuu, and there was no denying the love between them. But it was the love of princess to guardian, not the love that Seiya held for Usagi.

So Seiya could be Kakyuu's guardian, but couldn't she also be Usagi's Superman?

Except, again, Usagi already had a Superman. And Seiya refused to be the one who split them up, no matter how much she wanted to. No matter how she should step in, because `Superman' wasn't here! Mamoru wasn't here. Endymion wasn't here, and he was Usagi's Prince!

He wasn't here to wipe Usagi's face when she cried, to dry her tears. He wasn't here to help Usagi up when she fell, to make her smile and laugh when she started to frown. He wasn't here to give her hope that her friends - that he - could be rescued from Galaxia.

But Seiya was.

And for just this little while - because Seiya knew it would never last, not in the face of the Prince's return - Seiya could maybe, just maybe, be Superman.

Who's going to save you

When the stars fall from your sky

And who's going to pull you in

When the tide gets too high

Who's going to hold you

When you turn out the lights

I won't lie I wish that I

Was that superman