Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Tales from the Silver Millennium ❯ Zoisite's Tale ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Tales from the Silver Millennium
by Sakura

Zoisite's Tale
 
     Zoisite was born on the planet of Krynn in the elven kingdom, during what was known as the Age of Dreams in Krynnish history. Like most elves, she lived a peaceful and almost uneventful life as a servant. She was a Kagonesti or wild elf, and like the others of her race, she served the other elves. Her name then wasn't Zoisite. That name was to be given her much later in her life.
     While living with the elves, her name had been Ferileaghamberlanthalasa (pronounced Fer-i-lee-am-ber-lan-ta-la-sa). She was the daughter of the chief of her tribe, but she still had to serve an elven noble. She like any chief's daughter, was, of course, spoiled rotten. In spite of her being spoiled, she respected her elders and teachers as a young elf should. She was also respectful, and as a child fearful of the more 'civilized' elves. That was until she began to get bored with her stagnant life of caring for the plants in her garden and learning how to be a proper chief's daughter and obedient servant, and took to sneaking off alone on one adventure after another.
     She'd come home with scrapes and bruises more often than not. This, of course, ashamed and angered her father, not to mention the elf she served. They went so far as to lock her up in her rooms, only letting her out when she had duties to perform, and this was in the company of another Kagonesti servant, though not from her tribe. This servant was loyal all right, that is, to her master and not her. No chief's daughter, and servant, was going to act like a wild animal or worse, a savage human, her father had told her. He had plans to marry her off to the noble and thus, make the tribe, not to mention himself, rich.
     On her eightieth birthday, she ran away and didn't come home til a year later only to find out that she had been branded a dark elf, that is one who refused to 'live in the light', or follow their ways. Somehow it leaked to the others that she had run off again, on her coming of age day, yet. For doing so, she had been excommunicated from her people and was forced to leave her homeland forever. Once at the forest's borders, she was given a few supplies, but nothing else. Her father wouldn't even say goodbye. Her fellow tribesmen, who 'escorted' her to the borders turned their backs and walked away without so much as a backward glance.
     Feril, for this is what her 'friends' had called her, considered herself no longer an elf, Kagonesti or otherwise once her people had cast her out. Sadly, her people felt the same way. They had her name and all records of her existence destroyed as if she had never been born. When they told her of this, she shouted back at them that she didn't care, that she was glad she was finally free of the strict codes of elven society and could do as she pleased. She turned her back on her homeland and walked away from the vast forest of Vallenwood trees, not bothering to look back as she cast the spell that would remove the intricate tatoos covering her body.
     She had loved the elven forest more than anything and to be forever separated from it caused her to close off her heart to love for most of her life. Deep in her heart, she made a vow that no matter how hard they may try, she would never give her heart to anyone or anything ever again. So great was her love for her beloved trees.
     The now nameless elf made her way to Istar, the capital city of the continent of Ansalon. There she made her living as a dancer and a thief. She soon learned she had a greater talent for being a thief than a dancer, and soon became the best thief in the city. Those she robbed never knew they had been robbed until she was long gone, so swift and silent was she.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      One day during the midsummer festival, she spotted what she thought was an easy target, a young man with long, wavy, auburn hair.
     He was a jewelry smith and merchant. He had been walking through the streets looking for a place to set up his wares as well as admiring the young ladies as they passed him by, also returning a glance or two.
     She trailed him through the crowded streets waiting til she could get close enough to him. Without realizing it, she began to stare at his face. He had the bluest eyes she'd ever seen. They were as pale as the palest bluebell flowers she'd seen in her master's garden. The same shade as the sky above.
     'By Chislev! He's one of the most handsome I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty.' she allowed herself to think.
     Realizing she had let herself be distracted, the elf quickly looked away from her target and put her mind back on her work.
     When he came close to her, she walked up to him pretending not to pay attention to where she was going then promptly bumped against him.
     "Gomen nasai," she said as she bumped into her target and began to walk away.
     "Daijoubu," he said looking at the young elf woman. "Just a moment," he said grabbing her arm. "All right girl, give it back." He pulled her into an alley.
     "I don't know what you're talking about. Now let me go," she said reaching for her dagger.
     "I don't think so." He grabbed her dagger before she could get a hold of it. He then promptly threw it to the ground out of her reach, but not his. "I believe these are mine," he said grabbing her hand and taking the gems she had stolen. "Next time be more careful, girl," he said turning to leave.
     "Matte!" (Wait!)
     He stopped and turned back to the elven thief.
     "You're not going to call the watch? You're letting me get away with stealing from you?" she stammered.
     He gave her a faint smile. "Why should I? I got back what you took."
     "Umm. Domo arigato gozaimasu (Thank you very much)." He nodded and she began to leave the alley.
     Now it was his turn to stop her. "Matte."
     'I knew it. He is going to call the watch.' she thought as she froze in mid step. "I didn't take anything this time. Honto! (Really!)"
     "I know. It's just I want to know why an elf like you has to steal for a living."
     "I don't have to, I also work as a street dancer. Besides I like it." she smiled.
     His eyes went wide in shock. "You LIKE stealing?! Naze?! (Why?!)"
     "It's fun. 'Sides these fools deserve to be robbed if they don't bother protecting themselves."
     "Listen, I have a proposition for you. No, it's not a robbery or anything else your thinking of." Her face seemed a bit disappointed, but her curiosity was piqued. 'Maybe it is time for a little change, if a mere human can catch me so easily. Besides, I kind of like this guy.'
     "OK, I'm listening."
     "How would you like to work for me? You could help set up the jewelry I make plus, act as a guard since a good thief like you should have no problem spotting others. Someone as beautiful as you would also happen to make it easier for me to sell my works, don't you think so?"
     She blushed. No one had called her beautiful, except for her master, and that was when he was drunk on elderberry wine. She fought the urge to do to him what she had to do to the elf noble, smack him silly.
     She thought about it for a few moments and decided a paying job wouldn't hurt. Anyway, the heat was making it hard for her to get away as easily as she'd like. It had been a matter of time before the watch had caught her. "All right. You got yourself a guard." she said holding out her hand.
     He bent and kissed it gently. "I am Nephrite, my lady," he said with his best suave tone.
     "You can call me whatever you like, but I'm no lady. If I was, I'd still be living with my people and dying of boredom while serving some old lech," she said bitterly. "So when do I start?"
     "Immediately, if you'd like," he said smiling and led the way back to the street.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     For the next two years the elven ex-thief turned merchant and guard traveled throughout Krynn with Nephrite. They would go from town to town flowing with the endless sea of festival caravans. Though they had become good friends, she felt as though he could never really trust her. This was probably because she rarely talked and when she did, told little or nothing of herself.
     He however told all about how he'd grown up in a small village and at his parents' deaths was apprenticed to an old jewelry smith who'd taught him how to read and write as well as a bit of knowledge of the other planets in the Silver Millennium. The smith was a traveler from Earth who'd decided to settle on Krynn.
     Nephrite loved the old man and thought him as a grandfather, if not father. The two would travel the roads together following fairs and festivals. Along the way the old man would either teach him a bit of magic or tell stories of his life on the earth. When he died not two years ago, Nephrite had been devastated, but swore to carry on his 'grandfather's' business. Even though, she rarely smiled and kept to herself most of the time, the elf woman was fun to be with most of the time, also a good student.
     He had found she had an innate ability to manipulate crystals. He taught her how to control her power and to shape jewelry from certain crystals. She found that she liked using the new power and used it on every crystal she could get her hands on. She was like a child upon discovering a new toy.
     She even practiced making a crystal sword so she'd have a better weapon than her old dagger.
     Thanks to her unusual pieces and her exotic good looks, his business started to boom and they quickly became wealthy. Nephrite, against his better judgment, split the profits evenly with his semi-mysterious partner.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      One day, a tall stately woman wearing a dark red cloak so dark that it almost looked black, came to their stall. She was carrying a strange staff that looked like a giant key with her.
     "May we help you, my lady?" said the elf woman. She didn't like the looks of this woman and was getting a strange feeling from her. 'These damned mages.' she thought.
     "Actually Ferileaghamberlantalasa, I was hoping you and Nephrite could help me." she said removing the hood of her cloak. She had long, dark green hair done into a top knot with a bun at the top. Her skin was a rich tan color and her eyes were a strange magenta color.
     Both Nephrite's and her eyes went wide with shock. Hers from hearing a human speak the name she thought she'd never hear again, his from recognition of a god's avatar.
     Nephrite knelt before the strange woman and said, "Lunatari-sama, how may we humble mortals help you?"
     She smiled, a rare sight on her face. "Please Nephrite, get up. I'm not one of your gods, just an emissary on a mission."
     He rose to his feet unsure to believe her or not. "What sort of mission, my lady?" asked the elf eyeing her suspiciously. 'I don't know how she knows about me, but I'm certain whoever she is, she's definitely no god.'
     "Didn't I just say that, Ferileagh?" the woman said reading her thoughts. Her eyes went even wider. The woman smiled again. 'This is definitely Zoisite. Serenity-sama would be pleased. I finally managed to find the rest of the four.' She thought.
     "I have come for you and Nephrite, Ferileagh." Said the woman. "I assure it is nothing sinister, so don't worry so much Feril. You two have been chosen by the Fates to be two of Prince Endymion's personal bodyguards."
     Feril at first didn't want to believe a word the woman said, but if the Great Prince was of need of them, what could she do? 'I still don't believe her, but hey, life on another planet can't be worse than it is here sometimes.' And she thought Endymion to be rather attractive. She had caught a glimpse of him on one of his diplomatic visits to Krynn.
     "All right, my lady, you win, I'll go with you, but only if Neph decides to come as well."
     "Fair enough, and call me Pluto, Feril. Nephrite?" she asked the auburn haired man.
     "I'd hate to leave my work, not to mention, my home, but who am I to go against the Fates?" he said with a smile.
     "I'll take that as a yes." said Pluto.
     He nodded then looked at his friend and partner. She nodded as well.
     "Then if you two are ready... No need to pack anything. Any trace of your existence here will disappear as soon as we leave." she said reading their minds.
     Both guardians said farewell to the planet they lived on all their lives and in a flash of maroon light, vanished with the mysterious woman known only as Pluto.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      The three travelers reached the palace on Earth. The guards regarded the elf woman and Nephrite suspiciously but, seeing Pluto with them, they reluctantly let the senshi and her two companions pass. No one dared to cross a being who could control time.
     The two guardians stared at her in awe.
     "I've come to speak with the prince," said Pluto to a servant who just happened by. He immediately bowed to her and led them down various halls til they reached the royal library. Upon seeing the amount of books, the elf let out a low whistle.
     'Not even the Great Library is Palanthas could match this.' she thought as she stood with her companions. The servant left leaving them to speak in private.
     Seated in a chair in front of a fireplace was a boy about eighteen. He had short black hair and deep set blue eyes. 'Not bad looking as some humans go, but nowhere as handsome of Nephrite.' she thought regarding what she assumed to be the prince Pluto spoke of. 'Not too careful is he? Had he been my enemy, he'd be dead by now and I'd be long gone.'
     As to mirror her thoughts, Pluto spoke up. "Still reckless Endymion, your back's to the door," she said with a smile.
     "Hello to you too, Pu," he said not bothering to look up from the book he was reading. "I saw the flames flicker and knew someone had come in. You've brought a friend I see."
     "Endymion how did you know, I wasn't alone?" Pluto asked.
     "Easy enough. I heard someone whistle as you came in. I knew it couldn't be you because you've been here before. Whoever it is, must be very impressed with our 'collection.'"
     The elf blushed, embarrassed that she'd been heard. 'I take that back, he's shrewd this... Endymion.'
     Pluto sat down in one of the other chairs by the fire and motioned for her and Nephrite to do so as well. "Endymion, if you can tear yourself from that book for two minutes, I'd like you to meet two of your guardians," she said placing her Time Staff beside her chair. Nephrite stared at the huge garnet orb at the top. He'd loved to get a closer look at it, but knew it was impossible.
     The elf woman stared at various leather bound books on the shelves near her chair. She reverently ran her fingers across the spine of one inlaid with pure gold leaf, in a delicate design of leaves.
     Endymion, however, blushed at Pluto's statement and closed the book. "How've you been Pu? It's been a while. A long while," he said giving the green haired senshi his full attention.
     "I'm fine, thank you. Endymion, I'd like you to meet Nephrite Stanton and 'Milady' of the planet Krynn. They are to be two of your personal guardians."
     'Milady' was relieved when she didn't reveal her name to anyone else. She had wanted to forget the past completely when she boarded the ship and left Krynn far behind. 'I definitely do not like this woman. If she knew my name, then she must know about my banishment by my own people. Plus she's bound to know more. Why did she not tell him my name like she did Neph? A person who's got to hide what she knows, is not one to be trusted. I should know.' she thought with a mental smile. She tried her best smile and nodded to the prince. "How do you do your highness?" said Nephrite getting up and bowing before him.
     "You two are a long way from home, aren't you," said the prince paying more attention to 'Milady' than him. "I take it it was you who was admiring my books, my lady."
     She blushed and said, "Gomen if I disturbed you, your highness."
     "Not at all. So you're two of the four bodyguards The Queen's assigned to me," he said admiring 'Milady', making her blush even redder.
     "If you don't mind Endymion, I'd like to get down to business. I can't stay for much longer," said Pluto.
     "Of course, Pu. When do you ever stay long?" he said with a chuckle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      After getting acquainted with each other and their new duties, Pluto left the prince and his two guardians, saying something about finding the last one.
     A few days later, a Lunar transport arrived saying that they were to carry them to where the three of them were be trained to fight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     "Endymion! What are you doing here?! How'd you find me?!" said a young man with short blond hair as they disembarked from the transport.
     "I brought him here lad," said the old captain who'd been on the trip with them.
     'Yet another handsome man.' she remarked dryly. She was beginning to regret her decision to come to Earth with Pluto, plus she was beginning to feel lonely. 'You've think Neph and I be more than friends or one of the others'd make a move by now.'
     'Well, you're not, and it's obvious they aren't.' she shot back at herself.
     'Daijoubu. I'll find someone, someday, maybe.' Said another part of her mind. The part that longed to pour out all the loneliness and sorrow she kept bottled up inside to someone. Someone who'd not turn her away. The dam she built to keep her emotions locked up was near the breaking point.
     Realizing she had let her mind wander, she felt Nephrite nudge her and saw Endymion was waving for them to join him. Looking back, she saw a young man with silver-white hair follow them.
     'Who's that? I don't remember seeing him on the ship before. Matte. I remember we met briefly when Endymion-ouji-san stopped by Neph's room. What's his name? Kun something or other?' She'd forgotten her shipmate because she'd spent most of the time in her cabin. When she reached the prince, she heard him say, "Jed, this is Kunzite Shidou, Nephrite Stanton, and 'Milady.'"
     The silver haired man came up and extended his hand. She didn't hear what he said, she was too busy staring at him. 'If I thought Neph was the most handsome man I've ever seen, then I must've been blind. THIS is the most handsome man I've ever seen!' He had soft grey/blue eyes that seemed to stick out from his tanned skin and unlike her and Nephrite was wearing his silver hair loose.
     Nephrite was now speaking to the blond man. She saw the two shake hands then understood what was going on. 'He must be one of Endymion-ouji-san's friends.' she thought as she approached him.
     "I too am from Krynn. I am honored to meet a friend of Endymion-ouji-san's," she said extending her hand.
     He stared at her a few seconds, obviously taken in by her elven beauty. Then he finally said, "The honor is mine, my lady." He took her hand and gently kissed it. "May I have the pleasure of knowing your name?" he asked rather innocently.
     'Oh no! Not again!' she inwardly groaned as she felt herself stiffen. 'What can I tell them? That I'm an outcast among my people. A dark elf. Not even Neph knows why I was in Istar that day. He didn't even know my name til that Pluto witch showed up.'
     "Captain, I'm sure 'Milady' would like to see her quarters," said Nephrite noticing her uneasiness.
     'Arigato, Kami-sama. Arigato Neph, for being such a good friend.' she turned and began to follow the old captain not at all surprised when he'd already stared walking.
     The silver haired man came up to her and offered his arm. "My lady," he said indicating he'd help her.
     'Who does he think I am? I'm not some scatter brained bimbo who can't even think for herself.' she looked coldly at him, then saw the hurt and embarrassed expression on his face. She felt her heart melt and instantly regretted her thoughts. 'He's only being polite, baka! No need to act like an damned house elf when you're no longer an elf!' She put her hand on his arm and let him lead her.
      Along the way, she remained silent, suddenly too shy to speak.
     "I don't remember seeing you again after we met on the ship. Were you ill, my lady?" asked Kunzite.
     "Not exactly. I just prefer to be alone sometimes."
     "Must be awful lonely."
     "Honto ne (Not really), it gives me plenty of time to practice."
     "Practice what, my lady?"
     "I have a power that allows me to shape crystals into things."
     "I hate to change the subject, my lady, but I'm wonder what a beauty like you would be doing at a training camp."
     She blushed at the compliment. 'He thinks I'm beautiful?! Neph's been the only one to say that to me before.'
     "I don't just make pretty baubles with my power."
     "Oh?"
     "Watch." She produced a crystal from a fold in her gown and concentrated. It grew longer and sharper until it formed a crystal sword.
     "Incredible. I've never seen anything like that before. I hope you don't think I'm being forward, but since we're going to be training together, I think we should know each other's name, don't you think? It'd be very awkward calling you 'Milady' out on the field."
     She looked down and noticed a ring on his finger. She had come to recognize every stone available through her partnership with Nephrite. This one was one she'd never seen before. It was a periwinkle blue color and was surrounded by diamonds.
     "It's my mother's." he said noticing her interest in the ring.
     She blushed and said, "It's beautiful. What stone is that? I don't recall ever seeing it on Krynn before."
     "It's not from Krynn, but from Earth, my lady. It's a very rare stone and is only found on Earth. I believe it's called Zoisite."
     "No wonder I've never remembered seeing it before," she giggled, the first time in a long time. All of a sudden she began to sob. She lost control of her emotions and began to shake uncontrollably as the dam broke. Kunzite caught her as she began to faint and carried her the rest of the way to her quarters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Daijoubu desu ka?" asked a voice as she opened her eyes. A pair of grey/blue ones met hers.
     "Where am I? What happened?" she asked struggling to sit up.
     "You fainted, my lady. We're in your quarters. I hope you don't mind I carried you here."
     She did vaguely remember being lifted by a pair of strong arms before losing consciousness. "I'm sorry for being so much trouble," she tried to sit up again.
     He gently pushed her back on the bed. 'His hands, so warm… so gentle.' "You're no trouble at all. You need to rest. I hate to pry, but maybe if you told me what made you cry like that, it'd make you feel better."
     'I want to tell him, but why? I've kept it a secret for so long I don't think I can tell anyone, even if I wanted to.' She felt something cool against her forehead. 'A washcloth no doubt. It's helping a little. Hmm, smells like lavender, someone knows their herbs I see.' she gave herself a mental smile. 'Maybe I should tell him. Couldn't possibly do anymore harm than what it's done to me already.'
     She then opened her eyes seeing the concern in the young man's eyes. She smiled a little and saw him relax a little, patiently waiting for her to speak. She steeled herself and began to tell him about her past. 
     "...and so when one of us is exiled or banished, their name is erased form all records as if he never existed and is never allowed to return our homeland or be killed as an enemy if they did," she aid finishing her tale.
     "So that's why you didn't want us to know your name. Technically you don't have one now, is that it?" Kunzite had been incredibly patient listening to the young elf woman tell her tale. He hadn't interrupted once during the whole story.
     "Hai. Thank you for listening to me, Kunzite-san. I really needed to get that off my chest. she said sitting up. He adjusted the pillows so she could sit more comfortably.
     "How about if I give you a new name, my lady?" he asked.
     "Nani? You're serious?"
     "Very. Would you mind if I gave it to you or would you prefer to keep 'Milady'?" He blushed a little trying his best not to embarrass himself.
     She blushed and looked away from him, not wanting him to see the tears starting to well up in her eyes. "You'd do that? For me?"
     "Well, as I said before, it'd be awkward calling you 'Milady' out on the field, if you're going to train with us, you'll need a better name." he said chuckling a little.
     'Gods! What a beautiful sound!' she thought. "What did you have in mind, Kunzite-san?"
     "How about Zoisite? Since you like my mother's ring so much."
     She blushed again but, forced herself to look at him. 'He'd name me after that beautiful stone?!'
     "Of course, if you don't like it, we could-"
     "I love it. Arigato gozaimasu, Kunzite-san." She blushed and hugged the silver haired man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Shortly after that Zoisite began to enjoy her training and she also found herself gradually leaving her life of aloofness behind. She began to join the men in their parties and also began to laugh more.
     As the months wore on, Zoisite and the other guardians had become very good friends. In fact she was considered one of the guys.
     But there was one person she could never get close to no matter how hard she tried; Prince Endymion.
     Something about the prince kept reminding her of her people back on Krynn. Sure, he was friendly towards her, but Jadeite was the one he was closest to. Somehow she knew that no one'll be able to get through to him, except for Jadeite, the first day she saw him with his friend.
     'What is it about Endymion? He's so cold, so distant whenever Kunz, Neph, or I try to really talk to him. Jed's the only one that can do that.' she thought one night lying in her bed. 'Even when I first shook his hand, he said nothing more than was necessary. He's got to have house elf blood in him. He's got to. How else could he be so damned cold, so elven!'
     She and the others tried several times to break his shell by playing tricks on him, which she did the most. He usually good-naturedly laughed them off but, when SHE played a trick on him, he would laugh but, it would be a strained one. None of the others noticed. They were too busy laughing with him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Zoisite sat alone in her garden tending to a bed of Plutonian lilies after her latest failure to melt what she dubbed 'The Royal Icecube'.
     'Damn you Endymion-ouji! Why don't you trust me? You trust Kunz, and Neph came from the same planet as me. Is it because I'm not human? Or is it something else?'
     "Come on Endymion-kun, it was only one little frog. It wasn't like I was trying to poison your soup. Even a kender would have a better sense of humor."
     "Maybe he wasn't in the mood for humor today, Zoi-chan."
     She had no need to look up to know who the voice belonged to. "I know love, but I just can't give up. One of these days I'm going to make him truly accept me as one of the group. You and the others are the only ones who've been able to get close to him. Even if it's a little bit. He only tolerates me because of that Pluto woman."
     "Zoi, don't say that. I'm sure he likes you. He's just shy around women. You saw how he was with the princess."
     "Maybe so, but there's something that's not right with him. I mean whenever I try to talk to him, he just pushes away, saying he's too busy. I'm worried Kunz. We've never been close that's true, but he never pushed away from me before."
     "It's just his upcoming engagement. I'm sure once he's married, he'll warm up."
   "I hope you're right, love."
  He put his arm around her waist as he helped her up. "It's almost time for dinner, love. Come inside." He kissed her, crushing the lilies she held in her arms.
    She frowned, but smiled when she got the desired look from her lover. "Daijoubu. They're only flowers, and I've got tons," she said letting him lead her back to the house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Endymion's engagement to the Moon Princess was having a different effect on Zoisite. She knew she should be happy for them, but all she could think of was how she'd outlive her friends, for her people were known to live up to 700 years. She was young. Very young, only a mere 90 compared to 700.
     'I should be happy. Endymion-kun's finally able to love someone. But how can I when I know that I'll be alive long after him and everyone else, including Kunz, is dust? I really should tell Kunz about elven lifespans, but I don't want to lose him. He is the only human who's able to make me happy, melt my heart.'
     She watched as her lover slept, trying not to pay attention to the tears escaping her eyes.
     "You wish to be with him always?" said a voice from nowhere and everywhere.
     Calling forth an ice crystal, Zoisite stood from the bed. "Who are you? Show yourself!"
     A woman with long red hair in a purple dress appeared from the shadows. "You poor dear," she said in a mockingly sweet voice. "A wild elf in love with a human. No wonder you're crying."
     "Who are you?!" she demanded brandishing her crystal sword.
     "Oh put that toy away Zoisite. I came here with an offer." With that she gestured and the crystal faded from her hand. With another gesture, she called forth a globe of light and it floated over her.
     "Beryl!" she gasped.
     "So you do know me then. As I said, I came here to offer you what you want most, Zoisite."
     "Which is?"
     "A life with Kunzite," the queen smiled.
     "I already have that. Now leave before I really get angry."
     "No you don't Zoisite. Think. How much longer does he have do you think?" She gestured to the sleeping man. "70, 80, years? Not much when your kind live hundreds of them. What I'm offering you is a life where you won't have to worry about him dying and leaving you alone. All you have to do is come with me Zoisite. Think about it. To be with the man you love so much, always."
     "How do I know you're not lying? For all I know, you could be Takhisis herself."
     The queen laughed. Not an evil or strained one, she genuinely laughed. "Ever the clever one aren't you? You don't. You'll just have to trust me. Now which is it going to be Zoisite, stay here and die alone an old maid, or join me and be with Kunzite forever?"
     Zoisite was torn between betraying her prince and her love for the man on the bed. For a while it seemed Endymion would win, but remembering how he'd treated her, she took a step toward the queen. Looking to her lover, she whispered, "Gomen nasai, koishii. Please forgive me."
     Turning before the queen, she followed her new ruler through a portal and disappeared.
     "Zoisite," murmured Kunzite in his sleep.
    Author's Notes:

1) I know Zoey's a guy but, I'm making him a her. Call it a little poetic license if you will.
2) The fact Neph & Zoi being from the Dragonlance world of Krynn is not true. It's just an idea I came up with. I just looooove those books, especially the ones by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. ^_^
3) A note about elven society on Krynn, since little is known what life was like in the Age of Dreams, I'm assuming that the 'civilized' (house) elves were like the Silvanesti and Qualinesti races of elves. These elves considered themselves superior to the Kagonesti or wild elves, who lived in tribes in the forests, and hence generally treated them as slaves. Also one could be considered a dark elf for not conforming to the rules of their society, though usually for more sinister things such as practicing black magic.
4) Lunitari is the red moon of Krynn and is considered to be the goddess of neutral magic. I had Neph refer to Pluto as this goddess since she is usually considered to be a neutral ally to the senshi, only interfering in extreme cases.
5) There really is a stone called Zoisite (I looked it up). It's actually called Tanzanite and is usually the periwinkle blue color I wrote about. It is also very rare and not to mention expensive! I've seen some jewelry with it and boy is it EXPENSIVE!!!!