Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Sailor Moon Legend of Zelda ❯ Training, Testing, Trouble. ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's notes:
 
This chapter may seem a little boring, but what else did you expect from training.
 
Also, a special announcement…
 
With given permission, and their approval, two of my best reviewers of this fic.
 
HYBRID SPEED… and RAECHIBIKID… I plan to design fictional characters with their pennames, or so. You'll recognize the when you see them, but note that characters are fictional, and I have their permission to do this.
 
I also plan to make Characters out of some other friendly reviewers of mine, and their names too are only fictional, they are not real.
 
 
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
 
Once Link had confirmed with NASA that they would do it, it was simply a matter of NASA approval… and the first step was a series of medical tests, physical, and mental examinations to determine if they could survive the trip into space.
 
After all… you can't just send astronauts onto a shuttle without training them first.
 
However… because Link also explained that none of their families knew about this, Yamato made some calls, and Link and his team were going to be trained with the military forces in Tokyo.
 
This way they wouldn't have to leave the country, and they kept in close contact with NASA in America.
 
The next day…Testing began, and keeping in mind that the Asteroid was on its way, there was no time for slacking off.
 
They all had to be really careful not to let it slip that Link was the Hero of Time, Darien was Tuxedo Mask, and the girls were the Sailor Scouts.
 
Doctors and Nurses gave each team member a super-physical, and even tested them with pain killers.
 
“You stick that Needle into me and I'll shove it up your behind.” growled Lita.
 
Them came some exercising programs to build up their strength, and much to Serena's dismay, there was to be no consumption of sweets, sodas, or any junk food.
 
“This… is the thanks I get… for trying to save the world?!” she cried as she ran on the treadmill.
 
For the rest of the day, a team of psychologists and psychiatrists were giving sessions to each team member, and testing their wits mentally and physically.
 
Amy was able to work out a rubix-cube in less than one-minute. “I told you this wasn't going to work.” she said.
 
Darien tried to prove that he didn't get easily distracted, and he nearly fell asleep during a hypnosis session. “You think I can take this… I'll show you!” and he knocked the watch away.
 
Mina however was getting a little emotional, but trying her best not to cry. “It's all right.” said the doctor. “Just let it out.” and Mina broke down into a soft sob.
 
Rei seemed to handle her session as she identified splashed-pictures without even opening her eyes. “That's Serena giving me a rough time.”
 
“That's my Master telling me to watch the cheeseburgers at work.”
 
That night
 
The test results were in, and all in all… the NASA officials didn't really know what to think. Each of them were barely able to pass at all. Just inches away from utter failure.
 
“If you're trying to make me feel better about this scenario it won't work.” said Izzy. “This Mina girl was almost crying like a baby during her test… this Serena chick even got stuck a closet on her way out.”
 
“Look, I know they may not look like much, but they're the best at what they do.” said Yamato.
 
“So am I.” said one of the Generals who was also inspecting the tests. “We spend hundreds of billions of dollars a year on defenses… and here the fate of the planet is in the hands a bunch of school girls, and boy scouts I wouldn't trust with butter-knife.”
 
Yamato just cut in. “Look, I don't care about all that mumbo-jumbo stuff.” he sneered. “They're the best of what can be done, and all I want to know is… can the physically survive the trip?”
 
Izzy rolled his eyes and sighed. He got out a big stamp with red ink. “Personally… I don't know how the survived the tests.” and he marked the files… NASA APPOROVED.
 
Well, that was phase was done. They were all given astronaut approval, and passes. The next part of their training was going to be even harder than the previous tests were.
 
True they would be able to survive the trip, supposedly but now they had to determine if they were able to work in space. If they were able to use the equipment… all that stuff.
 
So, Yamato sent for some of their best trainers and pilots from the United States Air Force to fly to Japan, and assist with the second bit of the training.
 
THE NEXT DAY
 
The chopper touched down and when. The two officers, one a tall young-man in his late twenties, and a young woman in her early twenties, looked at Link and his team as the arrived at the base-camp that morning for training and… “Talk about the wrong stuff.”
 
They had Link and his team seated at a table with notebooks for jotting down facts and things of importance, and took their places at the front.
 
“Good morning, I'm Air force Colonel. Speed Hybrid, and this is NASA pilot Renee Watson.” Renee bowed her head.
 
“In addition to flying one of the X-71 teams to that rock, it's our job to train you all with the mental and physical assortments of working in space. So you won't flip out on the Asteroid.”
 
Renee nodded in agreement and then said her bit. “United States astronauts train for years. You only have twelve days, so there will be no time for slacking off.”
 
“Now does anyone have any questions.”
 
Serena raised her hand. “What's an X-71?” she asked.
 
The others also wished to know the answer as well, so Hybrid and Watson contacted Yamato by video-phone, and Yamato actually had a feeling they were going to ask about the X-71's.
 
“What you are about to see is classified information, and you're the first civilians to ever lay eyes on them.”
 
He clicked a remote and the screen changed showing two shuttles that were not really like ordinary shuttle at all. They were slightly larger, shiner, had extra boosters, and all kind of things normal shuttles didn't have.
 
“Wow. Are those the shuttles were taking off in?” asked Lita.
 
“That's right.” said Yamato. “We call them the X-71s. A fleet of titanium coated shuttles capable of withstand vigorous flights, and immune to atmospheric conditions.”
 
“The two shuttles that were sending up are the “LIGHT” and the “COURAGE” both can carry heavy equipment, and capable of exceeding fast rates of speed.”
 
Light and Courage? Link thought that was a real coincidence as they were both his two main elements.
 
Then Yamato switched the pictures again, and the team met four more people.
 
“All right, now Air Force Colonel Hybrid, and NASA pilot Watson there with you… will command the shuttle, Light.
 
Here, we have Air Force Colonel Kata Xerexesand NASA pilot Shana Elmsford will command the Shuttle, Courage.”
 
The other two were not NASA pilots at all but they were actually… “Munitions specialists, EstevanGruberand Ryua Malfoy … they will supervise the nuclear explosives to make the bomb to blow up the Asteroid.”
 
After a few simple greetings, and getting to know each other, it was time to unload the equipment from more choppers that landed and begin training.
 
The first step was Weightlessness.
 
Each team member put on a spacesuit and were lowered into a pool. “So we're going swimming on this Asteroid is that was this is for?” Serena joked.
 
NASA even sent over a model version of the drilling vehicle they would use on the Asteroid. They called it the Monster Armadillo. Both shuttles would have one each stowed on board.
 
It was an odd looking type of rover with twelve solid steel wheels to avoid breechings. It could go the speed of 800 turbo-horses in near Zero-Gravity, and it was equipped with a special drilling arm that could be operated both inside and outside of the cab.
 
Not to mention the dozens, and dozens of long pipes that could be connected behind the drilling arm to extend its reach and drill even deeper.
 
“If you have the need to customize it, feel free to do so.” said Speed.
 
Link and Darien both took Auto shop in high-school, and Amy with her brains, and Lita with her brawns, they got to work rearranging and straightening up the Armadillo so it would fit their needs.
 
“All these rubber hoses got to go.” snapped Lita.
 
“Make sure those the engine oil is checked thoroughly.” said Amy.
 
Darien and Link angrily threw away all the useless pieces. “Will somebody please tell me what this is?!” Darien sneered. “I'll bet it wasn't expensive either.”
 
Then came the part of the training nobody was looking forward too, but had to be done. They were all take to a special room with a huge spinner-flipper wheel, on a super-fast going round about device.
 
The man in charge had looked everyone over and. “This is about the sorriest bunch of people I've ever seen in all my military career, and I'll still work with you.” he said.
 
“Now your space-flight's going to be a brutal assault on your senses… and I'm here to give you a taste of it.”
 
Each team member was to have a turn in the seat as it began to go around gently. “This little gadget here's the finniest simulator in the world, it's going be sucking your eyes through the back of your head.”
 
Serena went first. “Okay… this isn't so bad.” she spoke to soon as the chair suddenly began to zoom out of control and she was being flipped around in the seat. Her scream echoed through the whole building.
 
“And I'm going to twist you.”
 
“WHOA-AAH-AAH!! WHAT'S WORNG WITH YOU!!” cried Mina.
 
“I'm going to flip you.”
 
Rei didn't like being flipped around in the wheel. “THIS IS NOT FUN!!” she screamed
 
“Frap you body until your bones hurt!”
 
“I DON'T KNOW… IF I SHOULD THROW-UP… OR DOWN!!” cried Amy.
 
“And when you squeal… I'm just going to go faster, and harder.”
 
Darien could barley hang on tight enough. “HEY!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!! YAAA-AAARRRGGGH!!”
 
Link walked over to the benches for a relax after his turn. “How's… the rest of the team?” he asked while holding his stomach, but he got his answer.
 
The whole team looked like they had just gone for days of losing their lunches. “Sorry… about those red chucks I left near the control winch.” Lita said all groggy.
 
Well, that part of the training didn't need to be repeated. If they could live through it, which they did, then they passed.
 
Now the next Part was where Link's bubble suits came in handy. NASA was really impressed as to how Link was able to make such fine outfits.
 
They would be able to withstand the deadliness of space, but they needed to be altered and upgraded for walking on the Asteroid.
 
So Link and NASA technicians helped him. First of all the little button hat allowed them to take the suit on and off at will was worn around their necks on types of braces around the shoulders.
 
The switch could then be seen in front of the chest, and the button could be covered up with a dome on a hinge to prevent the button getting hit by accident.
 
So really, all anybody had to wear underneath was plain clothing, like their Astronaut uniforms.
 
But Link didn't tell anyone else but his own team that they could transform, their whole outfits could fit in the suit, even Tuxedo Mask, and their powers could still be used.
 
After lots of tinkering… the suits were complete and ready for testing in a special room. Link brought his everyone including the pilots into the chamber, and was teaching them about the suits.
 
The now had special work gloves on the hands to reduce slipping, and a radio and antenna in the back so they could speak to each other.
 
Now, the most important bits were the Iron boots for their feet, and the thruster packs in behind.
 
See… despite how big it was, the Asteroid didn't have that much gravity on it. In fact, it had even less gravity than the moon. “So watch it.” Link said. “If something gets launched off that Asteroid with enough force… It will keep going right into space.”
 
His team paid close attention, but Speed and Renee were still silently questioning Link. “What is the deal? Is it just me, or is there more to this guy than meets the eye?” asked Renee.
 
“Beats me.” said Speed.
 
“Colonel Hybrid!!” Link snapped.
 
Speed snapped too. “Yes?”
 
“Is there a problem?”
 
“No.”
 
“Good.” replied Link, “Because I'm really surprised that an Air Force Colonel, such as yourself, would waste my time when I' m trying to describe how this suit I built keeps you on the ground!”
 
“So that I were to punch you from the chin up… and you don't know how it works… what do you think happens?”
 
Serena raised her hand. “He'd float away.” she answered.
 
Link nodded. “Now… You all have 30 second to activate your suits, and then the oxygen will be vacuumed out of this room, and we will know what it's like to be in space.
 
With one push of the buttons, the suits started coming out from the box on their chests and slipping itself completely around them each, and sealed tight.
 
(Remember now to picture the Asteroid coming)
 
TIME TO IMPACT
 
6 days… 11 hrs… 47 min… 36 sec…
 
After several days of training and preparing, things were almost ready to go. Now Link and his team were in a briefing room, as Yamato, over video-phone, went over the flight plan.
 
“Now… the two shuttles will take off in three days from now, at 6:30 pm. After that, you will orbit Earth for about 67 minutes more allowing your fuel to be reset, then you will release, and take a 60-hour trip toward the Moon.
 
(Sorry… no Russian Space-Station thing this time)
 
“Now we only have one shot of landing on this rock, and that's precisely when the Asteroid passes by the moon, and this is where the hard part begins.”
 
“You use lunar gravity… burn your thrusters… and accelerating your speed to 22,500 MPH… coming up behind the Asteroid, where we're hoping that the tail debris will be cleared off by the Moon's gravity, and you'll land here in the back, and that's it.”
 
Izzy, who was also there on the phone went over his calculations. “We have separate landing-sites for each team on the softest parts of the rock as we know.” We don't take chances at NASA… we double up on everything. First team to hit the drill mark wins.”
 
“Now this rock is big, it's dense, it has a little gravity so you can stand on it all right… but use your Iron Boots so you can walk better, and use your thrusters so you can work easier.”
 
Lita had a question to ask. “Okay… Mr. Ishida, let's say that we actually do make it, and actually land on this rock… what's it going to be like up there?”
 
Yamato knew they would ask this, and so he came clean.
 
“Two-hundred degrees in the sunlight… Minus-Two-hundred in the shade… Canyons of razor-sharp rock… unpredictable gravitational conditions… unexpected eruptions… things like that.”
 
Lita should've guessed, just like when Link explained about the temples. “Okay I get it… the Scariest environment imaginable. That's all you had to say.”
 
“Okay… so you drill… you drop the nuke… you leave, and then detonate.” Replied Yamato. “Now… there's something you should all know, and I think Estevan and Shana here should explain it.”
 
The two technicians approached the screen and showed them a photo of the bomb they had constructed. “This baby's got 150-million megatons in her.” said Estevan. “It should be strong enough to blast that rock into dust.”
 
“Should” was a word that nobody liked to hear. “What do you mean “should?” asked Amy.
 
Shana then explained to them. “We've simulated this hundreds of times now… the bomb will work, but we don't really know what's going to happen until detonation.”
 
They didn't know if the bomb would either…
 
-Blow the Asteroid into pieces no bigger than a suitcase, allowing all the fragments to burn up in the Earth atmosphere.
 
Or…
 
-Split it into two equal halves, and push the fragments off it's path.
 
“That's right.” said Yamato. “So since we don't know for sure what's going to happen… here's the key.”
 
He showed them a video-game simulation of the Earth, and the Asteroid to show them what would happen if the Asteroid would only be split in half.
 
“Your going to remote-detonate the bomb… but you must do it before the Asteroid passes this plain… and we've decided to call it what you know best… Zero-Barrier.”
 
This was a kind of boundary line at a distance from the Earth. “Now if the Asteroid is spilt in two, if you blow it on time the force of the blast should deflect the pieces enough to miss the Earth completely.”
 
If the bomb were to explode after Zero-Barrier and the Asteroid was still only split up, it would be so close to the Earth that the pieces would still make impact.
 
“In other words… if this happens…” Yamato said. “It's Game-Over!”
 
This was very serious… Link and his team now had to be more prepared for this than ever before.
 
TO BE CONTINUED
 
 
 
HERO AND SAILORS SAY
 
Link: “These things take time. All of us qualifying for astronaut training wasn't really something that just happened overnight.”
 
Serena: “It took us several days to get where we are now, even though it takes many years of hard work to become proper astronauts.”
 
Amy: “Doing something like that takes time and interest. You can't really learn so much in just a few simple days. Like a baby chick takes about three weeks to hatch.”
 
Rei: “But if you do want to do these things, like be an astronaut, or a doctor, or something like that, it's best to start thinking about it when your really young.”
 
Lita: “That's right… instead of stressing yourself out like we did, you can take time, and plan ahead on it.”
 
Mina: “But always remember… you can't just blink your eyes and expect to have something accomplished. These things take time.”
 
(Song, while the team trains)
 
The teams were preparing to simulate drilling.
 
“Two shuttle teams.” Link said. “I'll run the drill team on, Light with Serena Darien and Amy, and Rei, Lita, and Mina work with team on, Courage.”
 
“Once we land we'll have ten hours to get the job done and clear out. In order to blow this rock into dust on the fault line we're going to have to drill to One-thousand feet. ”
 
(Music starts)
 
“Okay… let's get our game faces on. It's time for simulation.”
 
-The hour's approaching, just give it your best
You've got to reach your prime.
That's when you need to put yourself to the test,
And show us a passage of time,
We're gonna need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)
 
Show a lot of things happing at once,
Remind everyone of what's going on (what's going on?)
And with every shot you show a little improvement
To show it all would take to long
That's called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)

And anything that we want to go
from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Even Rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Anything that we want to go
from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Always fade out in a montage,
If you fade out, it seem like more time
Has passed in a montage,
(Montage)