Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Sailor Moon Legend of Zelda ❯ When Drillong goes wrong ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
 
Renee stayed on the bridge trying to establish contact with Earth, while everyone else was in the cargo bay.
 
Link, Darien, Serena, and Amy transformed in front of Speed and Estevan.
 
“MOON CRYSTAL POWER. SAGE OF SHADOW!!”
 
“MERCURY STAR POWER. SAGE OF WATER!!”
 
“POWER CHANGE!!”
 
“ECTOPHASE, ACTIVATE!!”
 
“Whew… can you how me how to do that?” Estevan asked playfully, but now it was time to focus.
 
Mars, Venus, and Jupiter had already radioed in through shortwave, and everyone was very glad that they were alive. They were all waiting outside the shuttle for them to come out.
 
Everyone donned on their bubble-suits, and double checked the thrusters. Darien climbed into the Armadillo and started up the engine. “Is everyone good to go?” asked Speed. Everyone gave thumbs-up and the cargo-bay ramp began to lower them down.
 
“Wow.” Link muttered as he looked around. Everything was as exactly as Yamato had said it would be. Razor sharp rock… lost of savage winds, filled with dust and hail stones. The usual stuff.
 
“Oh my gosh… look at his place.” said Sailor Moon.
 
They all guided Darien who drove the Armadillo around. “Down here. In the valley.” Link said. “To the left. Bring it to the left.”
 
As Darien got into place, Navi flew off to see if she could find Ganon's castle, and Estevan and Speed were working on a satellite relay station to beam their signals to Earth.
 
“We need that hook up.” said Speed. “Bring it over here, we'll get better reception. I'm heading back inside.
 
Now that the Armadillo was in place, Sailors Mercury Mars and Moon were taking some readings on the flat to determine just how hard the ground was.
 
Mercury used her mini-com, and her VR-Visor. “Iron Ferrite...”
 
Mars chipped off a pieces with her Megaton-Hammer and she didn't like what she saw either. “Iron Ferrite
 
“How's it looking out there?” Darien called.
 
Link shook his head. “It's mostly Iron.” he answered. This doesn't look good.”
 
Sailor Moon looked down at Mercury hoping she had good news, but she just showed her the results and shaking her head.
 
“Gee, I hate it when she's right like this.” Sailor Moon said. “We couldn't have picked a worse spot to drill.”
 
“Well, I can very well guarantee it's not going to be thicker than fifty feet.” said Link.
 
“How do you figure that?” asked Venus.
 
Jupiter answered for Link with, “Because if it is, we're screwed.”
 
Jupiter and Mars pounded the explosive charges onto the spot the would drill on, and show the Armadillo the drilling area. “Ready when you are, Darien.” Link said.
 
“All right…” Darien said as he starting the transmission, and the drill arm began spinning. “Let's make us a hole.” and he began to lower the arm down.
 
The drill bit made contact with the ground and began chewing through it. A few scrape-sparks, but they were cutting through pretty good.
 
“Bring another light.” Link said.
 
The hole was growing deeper. “All right, let's punch it down.” said Darien, but just then the Armadillo gave a huge jolt, metal was creaking in the hole, and dust was flying out. “Master did you see that?”
 
“Yes, Darien I saw it… what's happened?”
 
“We just lost the bite in the bit.”
 
“All right, Back it off! Back it off!
 
Darien grunted and growled as he brought the drill head back up, and everyone gasped at what they saw. It was all bent and scraped, and even had a chunk missing from it. Oh, no... what are we going to do? cried Venus.
 
“We've all seen broken drill heads before in simulations.” said Link.
 
“Yeah, but not after just ten feet.” said Sailor Moon. “I've never seen one there.”
 
“Well now you have.” replied Link “Let's get another one hooked up.”
 
Meanwhile
 
Renee finally broke through to Houston. “Houston this is Light, can you read me?”
 
Yamato and his team were so relieved to hear from Light, and as Renee gave them information of their landing site… “Quick.” said Yamato. “Jot down the information she gives, I want to know everything.”
 
Then Speed took over. “We're also having electric, and antenna difficulties, but we have commenced drilling.” he said, but then suddenly the screen began to break up from all the interference, and the signal was lost.
 
“Quick, get that radio back up.” said Yamato. “Oh, please, tell me they can still get out of there.” he muttered.
 
Meanwhile
 
Speed angrily put down the radio and spoke into his headset. “Gruber… we need that hook up. Get it back.”
 
“Copy that.” said Estevan.
 
While outside… the others were all hooking up a stronger drill head to the arm. “Okay Darien… thread it now.” Link said. The Arm was locked into place, and the others used huge wrenches to tighten it.
 
Darien was really growing impatient from all the stress. “Come on guys, hurry up, the clock is ticking. Let's go, go, go, go, go!!”
 
Sailor Moon gave Darien thumbs-up “All right… crank it up, Darien.” she said. “Let's kick this big ugly brute.”
 
Jupiter stayed by the side controls near the transmission-engine. “All right, let's give the turbine another boost. We need more power.” She pulled on some levers, and Darien starting drilling again.
 
“Come, let's move it, we're falling behind.” Link cried out. “Come on, dig, dig, dig… Let's chew this Iron beast up.”
 
They had drilled a little deeper, but suddenly the metal began whining, and the drill arm was hiccupping. “Jupiter, the tranny's stuck.” he cried. “Quick, release the clutch.”
 
Jupiter pulled on the levers, but they were barley moving. “Come on, baby… move!” she grunted, but suddenly the transmission began sparking.
 
Link waved his arms and screamed. “NO, NO, NO! SHUT IT DOWN!! SHUT IT--
 
BOOM!!
 
The engine had a big blow out, and the drilling units could operate. Plus, the blast sent Jupiter flying overboard, landing with as huge thud on the ground.
 
Everyone was horrified. “This isn't working out, Master.” said Darien.
 
Mercury walked over to help Jupiter up. “Are you all right?”
 
“Oh, blew the tranny.” Jupiter sobbed. “Ble-e-e-ew the tra-a-anny.”
 
This was disastrous. Less than seven hours to go before deadline, and the drilling was badly delayed. Mars folded her hands and bowed. “Please Spirits… just a little help. That's all we want.”
 
Serena looked around into space. “I think we're close enough, they may have actually heard you.”
 
TIME TO ZERO BARIER
 
6 hrs… 30 min… 52 sec
 
TIME TO IMPACT
 
10 hrs… 27 min… 52 sec
 
Meanwhile, at Houston
 
Izzy had determined where they had landed, and also how they landed there. “When the Asteroid passed by the Moon, the lunar gravity pt it into a spin. It's tumbling on all three of it's axis.”
 
This was the main source of the communication difficulties. They only had seven more minutes with guaranteed contact with shuttle. “After that… we may never hear from them again.”
 
The best they could do was bounce signals off of satellites to try and reestablish contact, but then there was the problem of the nuclear-bomb itself. If contact couldn't be maintained, then neither could the remote detonation from Earth.
 
“When do we lose the ability to remote detonate?” asked a General.
 
It was determined that only twelve minutes remained, after that, they would lose all chances to blow the bomb from Earth for good… the President had to be informed.
 
Drastic decisions may had to have been made.
 
Meanwhile, on the Asteroid
 
Link and Jupiter headed back inside the shuttle to get another transmission engine for the Armadillo, while the others stayed outside to clear away the damaged parts.
 
They came up through the elevator-tube, and deactivated their Bubble-suits. “So, what's happening out there?” asked Speed.
 
“We're drilling through some kind of metal we've never seen before.” Link answered. “It's already fried two of our drill bits, and now our first transmission blew.”
 
“So how deep are we?” asked Speed.
 
Link wasn't up to telling him that for fear of what he might do. “We could use your help with the transmission change, Colonel.” he said.
 
But Speed wasn't up to being kept from their current depth. “I've got a report to make now. We're supposed to be a 300 feet. So how deep are we?”
 
“Not as deep as we'll be when you stop asking me all these stupid questions, and help us load up this transmission.”
 
By this time the two men were getting angry. “What is our current depth?” Speed asked impatiently.
 
“Or current depth is not important, Colonel.” snapped Link.
 
“I will decided what's important.” Speed said sharply. “We've got 1,000 feet to drill, and you've had three hours already. Where are we?”
 
Link looked him deep in the eyes. “We're at 75 feet.” he said.
 
Speed looked as though he was going to faint, and then began to walk off. “Colonel Hybrid!!” snapped Link but Speed was already out of sight. Link began to follow him leaving Jupiter to finish loading.
 
Speed had gone back up to the bridge, and Estevan had radioed in. “We have contact. Signal's faint, but we can use it.”
 
Speed grabbed a special card which read. “Secondary Protocol.”
 
“Houston, this is Light. Do you copy?” he called, and the signal broke through. Houston read everything Speed had to say, and the results weren't good.
 
“Working at a remote satellite link at this moment. Transmission change will take approximately 20 minutes.” replied speed. “At our rate, this puts drilling final at twelve hours. Please advise. That it four hours past Zero Barrier.”
 
Link suddenly came from behind and snatched the card from his hand. “What is this?” he growled, then he and Speed began fighting over the phone and sadly, as the fight broke up the communication ceased again.
 
“That's it!” Link growled. “Now you… let's go back to the cargo bay, and help Sailor Jupiter get that transmission hooked up.”
 
But Speed was fed up to the teeth with Link. “Well guess what, pal, You had your shot, and you failed. You got that?!”
 
Renee tried to step in. “Gentle please, we have no time for--”
 
“You stay out of this, Watson.” snapped Speed.0 “From now on we're doing things my way.” But as he turned back to face Link, he had shoved Speed hard into his seat.
 
“Stay here and write a report then!!” He roared. “Me and my team will go get this hole made!”
 
“YOU AND YOUR TEAM ARE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN THE HISTORY OF NASA!!!”
 
That really hurt Link. How dare he insult him that way. Link was not about to let him get away with this, but now they had other things to worry about.
 
Speed also had had it with Link for shoving him down like that, and he had a little thing to settle with him. So, remembering his orders if the drilling wouldn't work, he opened up a safe, and grabbed a gun.
 
TIME TO ZERO BARIER
 
5 hrs… 12 min… 52 sec
 
TIME TO IMPACT
 
9 hrs… 9 min… 52 sec
 
Meanwhile
 
The President of the Untied States had to make his final decision of what to do. They could only detonate the bomb for another five minutes, and his choice was…
 
To remote Detonate the bomb on the surface in hopes that it would deflect the Asteroid off it's path enough to miss the Earth.
 
So he contacted one of the Generals and…
 
At Houston
 
“Yamato.” The General said. “Get them out of there. Evacuate right now. I've been ordered to override the system.”
 
Then, the General's men came marching in and began forcing everyone out of their seats. “Whoa! What's this?” snapped Yamato.
 
“Secondary Protocol.”
 
“Secondary Proto-- But they haven't finished the hole yet.”
 
“Look, I don't like this anymore than you do.” said the General. “But the President's advisors feel that the drilling isn't going to work, and we may have lost contact for good.”
 
“Our only option now, is to remote detonate that nuke while we still have the chance.”
 
Yamato was blazing with anger but it was in vain that he tried to warn them not to do this. They only had one chance to save the planet and if they blew the bomb on the surface, they'd all be finished for certain.
 
But the General stuck to his orders. “The orders… are to commence countdown in 30 seconds.” The General said as his men prepared the keys. “God be with them.”
 
`Click' The keys were turned, and the system was Armed, and…
 
Back on, Light
 
While Link and Jupiter were almost finished setting up the new transmission. Jupiter's head perked up when she heard the sound of beeping coming from the bomb which was right near them.
 
Then she saw the reason, the clock was set for six minutes. “Master?” she peeped. “The clock on this nine-foot nuclear weapon is ticking.”
 
Link checked the timer.
 
5:56… 5:55… 5:54…
 
“Oh my-- SPEED! GET BACK HERE NOW!!” he screamed.
 
Speed told Renee to get the shuttle ready for evacuation, and he was downstairs in a flash when he heard Link call for him.
 
When Link asked what was going on, Speed told them that they were detonating the bomb from Earth. “We have two and a-half minutes to get this thing off the ship and get out of here.”
 
Jupiter kept on asking over and over how to switch off the bomb, but Link and Speed ignored her completely.
 
4:43… 4:42… 4:41
 
“Everyone… back to the ship on the double.” Link cried into his radio.
 
Everyone outside heard him. “What's going on in there?” Darien asked.
 
“I don't know… but I'm going to find out.” said Mercury.
 
Sailor Moon shivered with that funny feeling inside. “Does anyone get the feeling something's not right?”
 
“Hey it's all wrong. We shouldn't even be up here.” said Mars.
 
Estevan was the first to arrive back in the cargo bay, but he was told to stand down while he saw Link and Speed still engaged in their dog fight, and Jupiter still asking how to turn off the bomb.
 
“Colonel, we can't do this.” snapped Link. “If we don't put this bomb into a hole at 1,000 feet onto a fault line, all we're going to get is a really expensive firework show. Now shut this down and let us do our job the right way.”
 
“It's not my call.” cried Speed. “The orders came from the President.”
 
“The President's not here!” growled Jupiter. “Now how do you turn this thing off?!”
 
3:30… 3:29… 3:28
 
“We've got to get this thing off the ship.” cried Speed. “I'm under orders to protect the surface detonation. Now help me get this off the ship!!”
 
“You shut this bomb down right now, and we'll work this out!!”
 
“AND I'M TELLING YOU IT ISN'T MY CALL!!!”
 
Link had taken enough. “Well guess what, I'd just made it your call!!” he swiftly drew out his sword.
 
“MASTER?”
 
But before he could bring it down, Speed was holding out his gun straight at him. “Don't you dare!” he said deeply. “You could set it off.”
 
“Whoa! What are you doing with a gun in space?” Jupiter muttered.
 
2:17… 2:16… 2:15
 
The others all arrived in the cargo bay to catch what was going on. “Whoa… what did we miss here?” asked Venus.
 
Both Speed and Link stood as they were. “This bomb is going to blow… we have to get it off the ship.” replied Speed.
 
“You shut this bomb down right now!” Link said deeply.
 
“I can't” said Speed. “The orders come from the President only.”
 
“I am going to give you three seconds to shut this bomb down. Then I'm going to make you shoot me.”
 
“Mercury.” whispered Mars. “Try and kill the up-link on that thing.”
 
Mercury stayed hidden behind all the others, and got out her mini-com trying to kill the uplink and stop the timer. Finally she had it.
 
The bomb powered down at 1:14.
 
“Hey… it stopped.” said Jupiter.
 
Speed's eyes widened, he turned his head to look down, but the moment he had… WHACK!! “AAH!!” Link had bashed Speed hard in the arm causing him to drop his gun.
 
Estevan tried to grab it, but Jupiter quickly whipped around and tripped him up with her vines. “Try it again, and I'll zap you.”
 
Speed tried to get up, but Link gave him a good `POW' right in the face and now had him pinned to the floor holding his sword to his neck. “You bring me all the way here just to blow me and my team up?!”
 
Breathing heavily and in fear Speed tried to talk to him. “Listen.. Please--”
 
“SHUT UP!!”
 
Meanwhile, at Houston
 
“Sir… the override-- it's been overridden.”
 
The General was not about to be beaten. He ordered for them to reactivate the bomb and this time keep the wave-link one way so this time it couldn't be jammed.
 
Back on, Light
 
The Clock started ticking again. “Oh no… here it goes again!” cried Serena.
 
Mercury tried to kill the up-link again, but her computer was being jammed. She didn't know how, but she couldn't do anything anymore.
 
1:14… 1:13… 1:12…
 
“What are you doing here?” Link asked Speed. “Why do you bother to make the trip all the way up here?”
 
“To do the right thing!” cried Speed. “And to see that it's done!”
 
Link let him go, and Speed was panting and gasping as if he didn't know how to breathe. “We can't do this… not this way.” Link said and he told him about Zelda, Ganondorf, and Planet Legora.
 
“I lost her once before, and I'm not going to lose her again.” Link replied. “And Look at you… why are you taking orders from someone whose 100,000 miles away? We are here… nobody down there can help us. So if we don't get this job done… then everyone we know and love is finished.”
 
“One minute!” cried Jupiter.
 
By this time, Link was speaking with honor, and fine words. “Ever since I was a little boy, I have been going on adventures all my life… and I have never… NEVER… failed a challenge that has been presented to me.”
 
“I couldn't protect my home world fro going up, but I am not going to let that happen again.” He looked up at the Scouts. “I know… with the help of all these wonderful beings, I will make that mark I will make 1,000 feet.”
 
Speed was quivering vigorously. “You swear?” he cried. “You swear… on my daughter's lives… that you can make that mark?”
 
“I promise… I will…” and Link stuck out his hand. “Only if you will help me.”
 
Speed Grabbed his hand. “Let's shut this down.”
 
“Forty seconds!” cried Jupiter.
 
They all worked frantically yet carefully to get into the remote systems so they could find the key-wire and cut it… keeping in mind that one false move could blow the bomb.
 
20 seconds…
 
They got the panel off and began sorting through the wires. “Okay, Mercury… which one… Red or Blue?”
 
15 seconds…
 
“Come on. Do a good job! Do a good Job!” cried Sailor Moon.
 
10… 9… 8… 7…
 
Mercury had her clippers set in the red wire, but was still thinking, remembering what could happen if she was wrong.
 
5… 4… 3…
 
Everyone prepared for the big bang!!
 
“Blue!” cried Mercury and she clipped the wire not a moment too soon, and the timer stopped.
 
“Good job.” Sailor Moon sighed in relief.
 
“Awe, man it sucks up here.” Darien muttered.
 
Meanwhile
 
“Sir, the timer has stopped… at three seconds.”
 
“What?”
 
Nobody knew quite what was going on until the communications were back up again. “Houston. Do you copy?” said Link. “Now I don't know what all of you plan to do up there, but we have a hole to dig up here.”
 
Everyone began to cheer, and then drilling had recommenced. They still had a lot to do before the deadline.
 
TO BE CONTINUED
 
Link: “Speed and I really had it out on each other, but we were able to work it out. We need to get along if we're to finish the mission on time.”
 
Serena: “Despite the fact that each of us are different in many ways, like and believe in different things, if we don't start to get along at least, we'll never get anywhere.”
 
Amy: “Some people prefer to be with their own kind. Who like the things they like, and does the things they do.”
 
Rei: “And there are some mystery situations where two people like each other but have hardly anything in common at all.”
 
Lita: “Everyone is different in their own way, and it's probably a good thing since the world would be pretty dull if everyone were a the same. .”
 
Mina: “Just remember, friends and families don't have to like all of the same things, but they can like at least some of the same things.”
 
(Song, Sung by Mykan with the five Sailors as the first back up, and Link, Darien, Andrew, Chad, and Cool Melvin as the second back up singers.)
 
(Girls)
 
(Guys)
 
(Both together)
 
 
(EVERYONE)
 
(Mykan)
 
I like Groovy people.
I like to be around the Groovy-Groovy people, yes.
I don't like nobody… that's got an ego.
Don't like to sit around and hold a conversation
with someone who don't know where he wants to go-o
(Oooh-Oooh) Give me the simple life, full of money-joy (Full of Money Joy).
(Oooh-Oo-o-o-o-o-o-oh) Can't you see I'm just a big ol' country boy
 
Yeah, and I like. (GROOVY PEOPLE)
I like to be around the Groovy-Groovy people, yes.
(Groovy people) Well, well, well, well, now. (Shew-be-doo-wa)
Hey, yeah, yeah, yeah.
 
(Shew-be-doo-wa) I tell you… I don't like nobody,
(Shew-be-doo-wa) That's got an attitude
(Shew-be-doo-wa) walkin' around with their nose in the air
(Shew-be-doo-wa) those kind of people I just can't use.
(Oooh-Oooh) I like to be relaxed with my mind at ease (With my mind at ease)
(Oooh-Oo-o-o-o-o-o-oh) The best thing in life is all I want for me (All I want for me)
 
So give me some (GROOVY PEOPLE)
I'm talkin' `bout the Groovy-Groovy people, yes.
(GROOVY-GROOVY-GROOVY)
Oh, I like Groovy people. (Groovy people)
 
-I tell you know…My baby or darlin'
We don't have to put up with jive-time folks no more.
Let's pretend that were not at home.
When the come kockin', knockin' on the Doo-oo-oo-oor.
 
I don't like nosey people,
(Shew-be-doo-wa) They get in my business and other things
(Shew-be-doo-wa) I've been through all of that baby
(Shew-be-doo-wa) and I know the bad feelin' that it brings .
(Oooh-Oooh) Give me the simple life, full of money-joy (Full of Money Joy).
(Oooh-Oo-o-o-o-o-o-oh) Can't you see I'm just a big ol' country boy
 
And I like (GROOVY PEOPLE)
I like to be around the Groovy-Groovy people, yes.
(GROOVY-GROOVY-GROOVY)
(Shew-be-doo-wa) Oh, I like Groovy people. (Groovy people)
 
(Talkin ` bout Shew-be-doo-wa) I'm talkin' `bout people (Groovy people)
(Talkin ` bout Shew-be-doo-wa) I can't hold a conversation with(Groovy people)
Talikn' `bout Groovy people Yeah.
Yeah-hea-hea-hea… Yeah!
 
(Wild Applause)