Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Pale of a Vanishing World ❯ Disconnecting Ordered Chaos ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Under the Pale of a Vanishing World
Chapter 2: Disconnecting Ordered Chaos
Rating: PG-13
Poetry is mine
Sailor Moon and its characters do not belong to me. I am just borrowing.
Shoujo-ai Content
 
Time is the ordering of chaos and while there are many through out the worlds and universes that claim other wise, it was not created by mortals. It was only named by them. Time happened; it occurred even when it was called nothing because Time is in effect merely change and growth, the simple passage of one event to another. Everything changes; it is one of the constant movements of the universes. But mortals had to call it something so that it would make sense to them and in the course of having to name the phenomenon unwittingly gave Time something that no other creatures could. They gave it a will of sorts, making Time through its ordered randomness usher forth paradoxes in the form of anthropomorphic personifications. In other words, it allowed the creation of gods, guardians, and other unstable things that could "control" it, "protect" it, and even "destroy" it. A startling thing since it really can not, will not, and does not need to be controlled, protected, or destroyed.
 
Time is strange. It has no true voice or personality and yet there are certain things and aspects of itself that it seems to favor over others. If it had the true capacity it would find that it was (and possibly still is) proud of its allowing the creation of Sailor Pluto, known also as Setsuna Meioh. Never had there been a being more capable of understanding (even if that understanding was but a single drop of water in a vast ocean) Time with its quirks, paradoxes, and frequent snubs at being labeled perfectly ordered.
 
Being favored though, however unaware of it Setsuna was, came at a price. And the cost was a heavy set of rules with admonishing attachments such as, "Do not break this rule or you will die." Even with the cost of her duty firmly on her mind she found that under certain circumstances Time's rules were made to be broken. It did not mean she enjoyed the moments when she had to break those rules. It also did not mean she enjoyed the overwhelming breadth and scope that her powers contained and allowed her to do.
 
There was a price to be paid for everything in life.
 
At the moment the price she was paying was a staggering headache for having combined into her other selves and jumping straight through the center of Time to land.... Well she was just about to find out.
 
This was the most unpleasant part of the entire experience, which was why she hardly ever used the Center of Time. It was, in effect, much quicker to go to the center and then jump to when she wanted or needed to be, but the pace of it had a tendency to turn her stomach slightly.
 
Her eyes were still closed and she was certain she could feel solid ground beneath her feet but that did not mean she was actually on solid ground. The problem was quite simply that in its center Time was at its peek. It was all that Time could be and that meant that Time knew exactly when Setsuna needed to be (even if she did not), but Time hardly took the notion to know exactly where she needed to be. This would lead, on the very few occasions that she moved from the center, to some interesting experiences. For example there was one occasion where she found herself standing in mid-air like a confused cartoon character that had run too far out towards a cliff's edge. Time got it mostly right though, she was only ever just slightly off when she arrived. She just preferred having more control over the exact when and where she was going to end up.
 
With a slow breath she reached out her hands and found, when she gradually opened her eyes, she was clutching desperately to a marble balcony railing. And also, to her great relief, noted that she was indeed standing on the balcony and not hanging over it. Just because she tended to be cool, calm, and collected most of the time did not mean she was incapable of moments of embarrassment. She just usually had those moments when no one else was around to see them.
 
She looked out from the balcony to a gorgeous view of the Earth, a hazy almost pale blue light spilling from it to illuminate her surroundings. Her grip on the railing loosened and she looked down to see the swirl of the Moon's silver ocean crashing below. She smirked and then turned around. Behind her she could see inside of the palace through two large and elaborately decorated glass doors. A grand celebration was going on inside, a masked ball.
 
She watched the people carefully and then quickly noticed that she was not in her uniform any longer. She was wearing instead a dark maroon gown which occasionally sparkled in the light as if it were delicately brushed with stardust. There was a time, a section of her life she called her happiest, when that dress had been her favorite article of clothing. She recalled briefly how there were moments when she just prayed for a party to attend so that she could wear it, after all, she had designed it herself. And she had designed another one that was pale silver and-
 
Memories quickly snapped to attention and the exact when and where became perfectly clear to her. Well, perhaps not exactly perfect. She should not have been in that dress. She should have remained in her uniform. Being in that dress meant-
 
"I'm going to hate me in the morning," she whispered with some chilled recollection. There was not a real problem. It was just that in her jump through the center she had completely replaced her past self, who was going to wake up very confused and with a migraine she would not have wished upon her worst enemies once everything was all sorted out and back in proper place. It bothered her slightly that things had occurred in that manner. She was used to being able to exist as multiple versions of herself at any point in Time. She could never do such a thing for an extended period but it could be done.
 
She let out a long breath and looked to her left quickly picking up the mask that she knew was going to be there. She brought it to her face and entered into the thrall of the event.
 
Something was terribly wrong with the way everything was laying out before her, but for a small plus side the headache she had was dying away. That fact failed to make her any more comfortable with her present situation though.
 
Moving shadows
We take turns as if in a dance
We think these movements our own
But nothing we touch is left to chance
There are rules to each thing
Motions that must be made
We must dance to the time
To the rhythm that Destiny has laid
 
Setsuna's breath caught slightly as she moved through the crowd and observed the grandeur and splendor that surrounded her. Never had there been or would there be a place as wondrous as what the people of the Moon had spent near eons perfecting, a civilization of peace, beauty, and elegance. It was not so much a utopia, as it was an Eden. It had its failings as anything mortal made tends to have but it stood out as the best that could be achieved by mortals. Even gods had to admit they were impressed with it.
 
It was difficult to be back. Memory stirred emotions that had taken Setsuna decades of guarding the Gates of Time to heal. She kept herself as she always did, stoic and cool in the face of knowing the destruction that waited for the kingdom. Destruction that was about ten years off, and how long those years would seem, how wonderfully peace filled and uncaring the days would slip by. She bit at the inside of her mouth when she began to feel guilty. If there was a way she could have stopped it she would have, but Time would have none of it. Time in its vastness would glare back at her and chide that even such greatness, such marvelous achievement had to undergo change.
 
Nothing was forever.
 
Everything changed.
 
"And the price paid is but the memory of what was," she muttered under her breath as she reached one of the many tables laid out with refreshments.
 
She took a piece of fruit from off of a platter and popped it into her mouth. Her eyes swept across the room for any signs of distress. What had her other selves said? The change would be small. It would be something that others would regard as trite. It would-
 
There was a sudden blare of trumpets ushering forth a fan fare. She looked towards the large marbled staircase that led down into the ballroom and took a breath for the one that she was going to miss. It felt too soon for this, but then she remembered, she had been out on the balcony.
 
The party was in celebration of a recent agreement to peace between the Earth and the Moon. It was to be the end of bad blood that began with a simple misunderstanding (and the bad blood would return again, the treaty would mean nothing in ten years). Setsuna had taken to the balcony for fresh air after she had had a brief disagreement about the arranged marriage that went along with the treaty. She remembered thinking that it was unfair, and then regretting that argument heavily because it had nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with duty. She never had to be reminded about that. Duty was sometimes all she had. It was the only thing that was so constant that change seemed to leave it alone solely on principle.
 
The fanfare played on and the royal courts from around the solar system slowly began to descend the staircase, all the planets represented there in all their glittering grandeur.
 
"Except Pluto," a woman near her muttered. "The Plutonians never come to these events."
 
"Why not," the woman's companion asked lightly.
 
"Because," the woman began softly with wisps of anxiety in her voice, "looking at them is like looking into the face of Death."
 
Her maroon eyes shut briefly and she fought the need to turn around and face the two behind her. She wanted to tell the truth, but knew better of it and pushed up through the crowd and away from them. For the truth was simply that people from her planet just preferred the solace of their world. It was so easy a thing that so many just took as something else. It made her a little sad in a way.
 
The Earth delegation finished entering and shortly after followed the court of the Moon. And after the court was the queen's personal guard, all hand picked maidens from each of the planets in the solar system. In all technicalities she herself was considered one of the royal guards but she never processed. People tended to worry greatly if they saw her in an official capacity. They tended to fear her for everything she knew of Time, and she never understood it but took the excuse to avoid too much public exposure. She had always preferred a mild amount of anonymity. It kept things simple and in perspective. It had kept her distant but not distant enough.
 
She often wondered if she would have been better off if she had never introduced herself to anyone. Would she have been a more capable guardian if she had never let herself become attached to the royal family? If she had never become friendly with the Outer Senshi, would her duty be less of a burden if there was only herself and Time?
 
The answer was always, perhaps. But the questions seemed silly to ask since there was no turning back. There was no changing what she had chosen as her life. There was only the path she was on and the duty she knew she had freely accepted.
 
Her heart began to beat rapidly at the sudden change in the trumpeting. The notes transformed into something that was more regal, and stately. It was a sound that announced greatness and beauty. It was all she could do not to rush up the steps and do something completely foolish. She wished she could be foolish. She wished as her heart broke over and over again in rapid succession with each step down into the ballroom Queen Serenity took.
 
No stopping Time, Setsuna thought, No halting what is to come for her. No grand rescue that can be preformed to bring her back. There is only Time's promise. There is only that I have to cling to.
 
It isn't enough
What I feel for you and the words I can say
It isn't enough
I know our plight
I know what shall occur
I lose...
I lose you
To Destiny
To Fate
To Duty
To Time
I lose
And losing you
Knowing that I lose you
Knowing you fade from my grasp
It isn't enough
The knowledge can not change anything
I lose...
And it isn't enough
It isn't enough
To stop my loving you
 
 
A small myriad of speeches was given regarding the treaty. Setsuna absently listened to the words, keeping her mask to her face to avoid being seen. She wanted to appreciate the view she was being given. She wanted the moment to last in her mind forever. Hearing Queen Serenity speaking again, and addressing a crowd, keeping them enthralled, she had nearly forgotten what a divine voice the queen had.
 
As the last words died away and the party was allowed to swing back into action Time's lovely paradox watched the way the queen lingered around the stairs rather than immediately going to her table or taking a dance. Setsuna moved up through the crowd and when she was nearly to the stairs she slowly brought the mask away from her face. She was unsure if she was seen by any of the others. She took a second to collect her emotions, to make sure she appeared as she should, calm and cool.
 
"Majesty," she said as she tapped the queen on her shoulder. She had to do this. She had to say the following words. They were important. They meant so much to her. Her past self would never forgive her if she forgot.
 
Serenity turned around and smiled broadly. She looked as if she was half ready to throw her arms around the taller woman, but then suddenly remembered she was supposed to be dignified. She politely nodded giving Time's Guardian permission to continue speaking.
 
"Will you dance tonight?"
 
"Perhaps... Is that all you needed to ask me?"
 
"You were right."
 
A cheeky grin began to drift across the woman's lips, "Is that so?"
 
She straightened herself and cleared her throat. Even as she was, with all her knowledge of what was to come, she still found it hard to admit that she was wrong. She continued, "It is so. I...over reacted."
 
The queen looked as though she was tremendously pleased and then her expression changed to something more somber and slightly confused. "You...You appear to be different tonight Lady Pluto."
 
"Do I?"
 
"You look... older."
 
No, Setsuna thought, what you are seeing is that I look younger. I died Serenity. I died doing exactly what you said I would do. Do you remember that?
 
She pushed her long evergreen hair off her shoulders and said, "Must be the lighting."
 
"Must it," she paused and then smiled broadly, "I think I will away to my table and... if I have the chance, perhaps...Perhaps we can manage that dance."
 
Setsuna made a slight bow and watched as Queen Serenity moved off towards her table. She kept a close eye and noted that something caught the queen's attention making her wander off towards the right, towards the balcony doors.
 
"That," Setsuna whispered shakily, "That is not right."
 
Very quickly the Guardian of Time moved towards the shadows she pulled out a small key that she kept secured by the strap of her gown. She moved the key into the darkness, turning it as if she were opening a door and a section of swirling green and purple fog appeared. She stepped into it and vanished, leaving behind the party and the shadows that had been there.
 
Under the pale of a vanishing world
In the longing hours between my dreams and waking
There is a memory of you standing
Walking towards another
Venturing away from my heart
The robes are clad in black
The smile a toothy grin
It is a specter I can not defeat
An image that has no waking
A moment that can not be stopped
Under the pale of a vanishing world
Comes what even the strongest of loves
Can not hope to defeat
All I have
All I can do
Is think of a promise made to me
I think of what Time can give
And I know I will see you again
 
There is no sound in Time. Everything is hushed and noiseless, but it seemed that there was indeed the hurried utterance of movement passing through Time's great halls.
 
She ignored the fact that her shoes were actually making a barely audible clicking noise and kept walking. She turned a few times as if venturing down a separate passage way, though there were no true walls. She came to an abrupt halt and transformed out of her gown and into her uniform. A key ring dangled from her side and she removed it from her belt searching desperately until at last she found the key she was looking for.
 
It was oddly shaped. It did not look like it was actually a key, though its place on her belt informed of its purpose. She took it off the ring and inserted it into the swirling, colored vapors of Time. She turned it clockwise once and then counterclockwise a number of five times. There was a tiny popping sound and an actual wooden door appeared and opened.
 
She reached inside of it and pulled out her staff. Then she shut the door took the key and turned it again clockwise at first and then counterclockwise until the door opened again.
 
She stepped back from it and did a quick move spinning the staff in a dramatic and deadly fashion. When she brought it down it made a heavy sound, like large weights falling onto concrete. A thin smile perked at the corner of her mouth. She took a deep breath, removed the key from the door, put it on the key ring, placed the key ring back onto her belt, and stepped through the door.
 
It shut with a very loud thud.
 
"I take no pity on those who dare threaten my domain," Setsuna's voice rang out through Time. It echoed and bounced off the corridors.
 
 
To be continued...