Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ What Do You Remember That I Forgot ❯ Zephyr ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One
 
Zephyr
 
A loud dinging pierced Kunzite's mind like a steel spike. Groaning, he rolled over and smashed his hand down against the source of the offending noise.
 
His head was a complete mess at the moment and he did not appreciate his alarm clock reminding him that he should get up soon.
 
With silence once again reining, he grunted in contentment and resumed his slumber by snuggling further down into the mess of pillows and blankets that was his bed.
 
Kunzite was almost asleep again when the alarm clock suddenly began kicking out a round of the tunes sounding something like a chainsaw and a noisy child banging on pots and pans all at once.
 
With a roar, he bolted upright, snatched the small machine from his beside table and threw it across his room.
 
`To hell with you Linkin' Park!' he yelled as the small clock smashed against the wall above his computer. There was a resounding crack as the voice of the lead singer cut out after a particularly long scream. Gears, cogs and an assortment of different pieces flew in all directions, most clattering down onto his desk and keyboard in a steady shower.
 
Giving the clock one last final glare, Kunzite slumped back onto his bed.
 
`Knock it off!' called a voice suddenly from behind the opposite wall. Several thumps followed and feeling his point made, Kunzite's neighbour resumed his usual silent existence.
 
Kunzite scowled at the wall darkly. It was his neighbour's fault he felt like shit to begin with. If he had been home last night like he usually was, then Kunzite wouldn't have felt the need to go out and without really planning it, get so smashed he couldn't even remember how he got home let alone what he had drunk which was causing the pounding in his head right now.
 
To hell with everybody he decided. Kunzite had never felt so awful in his entire life and he wasn't about to get up now for anyone, even one of professors. They could teach their class without him because he certainly wasn't inclined to be there and nothing short of an explosion in his building was going to get him out of bed right now.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
When Kunzite next opened his eyes, sunlight was streaming into his room from the opened curtains. He found himself blinking slightly at how much it reminded him of her. Minako's hair was almost that exact same shade he realised. He also realised that he could hear the sound of rattling in the kitchen.
 
Kunzite frowned and pushed thoughts of her and the more subdued but still pounding headache to one side. As far as he was aware, Kunzite didn't know anyone else that had a key to his room and even if he did have a social life occasionally, he didn't have any friends to go with it.
 
Climbing silently out of bed, Kunzite picked up an old hockey stick, procured for just such times as these. He moved towards the hallway and stealthily stepped out and into the shadow of the far wall.
 
Attentive as a giant tiger on the prowl, Kunzite edged his way along the wall towards the kitchen door. He barely even noticed that his heart rate had increased, trying to keep up with the adrenaline surging through his veins. Even if he had noticed, he wasn't about to let such a thing cloud his judgement as he finally reached the doorway.
 
Cautiously he leaned around the side of the doorway and finally discovered the source of all the noise.
 
His small neighbour stood in the middle of his usually tidy kitchen covered in flour and with his hands firmly on his hips as he scowled furiously at the pan on the stove which was now a blackened mess.
 
`What the hell do you think your doing?' demanded Kunzite stepping into the room and lowering the stick as he did so.
 
His neighbour whirled, startled by the silent appearance of the dorm room's owner.
 
`What does it look like?' he retorted with surprising vehemence.
 
`It looks like you've invaded my home and tried to destroy my kitchen and all my food,' said Kunzite coolly. He wasn't about to be cowed by his minute neighbour, he could assure him of that.
 
His neighbour stared angrily at him for several moments before turning away with a scowl and dropping his wooden spoon in the sink. `Fine, make your own breakfast. See if I ever cart your sorry arse home again,' he grumbled under his breath.
 
Despite the low tone, Kunzite's sharp ears still caught every word and he stared in surprise at his neighbour.
 
`What?' he asked, catching the smaller youth by his arm before he could move past him.
 
`Let go,' snapped the young man, trying to pull away. So close now, Kunzite realised that his neighbour's eyes were even more intriguing than he'd thought, particularly now that he was angry but he didn't dwell on it.
 
`You brought me home?' pressed Kunzite.
 
`Yes!' answered his neighbour. `Now Mr Touchy, would you kindly release my arm. I'm rather fond of it you see so I can't do much if you snap it off.'
 
Kunzite let go of his wrist hastily. He cursed inwardly at himself. He'd never been like this before but then again, Kunzite had never been that smashed before either. His body may have been able to stand up to a lot more then someone his neighbour's size but he definitely wasn't a god. After how much he had consumed last night undoubtedly, it was no surprise that his normally calm manner was slipping, just a tad anyway he told himself.
 
Kunzite stepped back, trying to compose himself. He ran a hand through his hair in an effort to straighten it, placed the hockey stick aside and even retreated to his room to slip on a shirt.
 
He returned to the kitchen feeling much more in control to find his neighbour, whose name he realised he still didn't know, eyeing him warily while he discreetly tried to brush the flour from his grubby shirt which proclaimed in big red letters: `I'm single, what are you waiting for?'
 
`I'm Kunzite,' he said.
 
`…Zephyr,' answered the youth.
 
Kunzite frowned slightly. The name struck a cord slightly but he couldn't remember where he had heard it before. In any case, he decided that his neighbour was definitely not telling him something. Zephyr was too strange a name in these times to be used. Then again he decided ruefully, his neighbour was turning out to be a very unusual person.
 
`What were you trying to make?' questioned Kunzite.
 
Zephyr mumbled something unintelligible and turned back to the mess he'd created, gesturing towards various tools and instruments. Kunzite felt a little perplexed for the moment but then eventually spotted the egg shells and bacon packet amongst the mess.
 
Sighing, he moved forward and brushed Zephyr aside. The small youth scowled but didn't comment as Kunzite pushed the remnants of Zephyr's meddling out of the way and pulled out a series of new ingredients and kitchen tools.
 
Ten minutes later and the kitchen was filled with the smell of hot pancakes as Kunzite expertly flipped one after the other.
 
Zephyr watched Kunzite from where he'd taken a seat at Kunzite's small kitchen table. The table was squished up against a wall so that Kunzite could fit a small lounge against the opposite wall and watch the TV which had been set in the middle of the table. It took up most of the space on the table but Kunzite didn't seem too bothered by it. Zephyr's own table wasn't much different although his was covered in books rather than a television set.
 
Zephyr's thoughts were interrupted as Kunzite placed a plate before him with cutlery and several different spreads. He then took a seat on the couch and began to eat. Zephyr frowned at the plain pancakes Kunzite was eating but refrained from voicing an opinion.
 
In turn, Kunzite watched in amusement as Zephyr drenched his pancakes in maple syrup, butter, sugar and many other things. The smaller youth didn't hesitate in wolfing them down and when he finished and glanced up to see Kunzite's half eaten meal, Kunzite simply handed it over. He'd never really wanted any of it to begin with and now his stomach was definitely feeling a little queasy from what he had managed to eat.
 
Standing up, Kunzite returned to his room. When he came back, Zephyr was nearly done.
 
`Where are you going?' asked Zephyr around a mouthful of pancake as he noticed Kunzite's attire.
 
`Out,' answered Kunzite. `Don't break anything and don't forget to lock the door on your way out too,' he ordered.
 
With that said, Kunzite turned and left, closing the front door soundly behind himself and leaving a confused neighbour in his wake.
 
Zephyr frowned after his neighbour and then decided that if he wanted to be rude then that was his problem. Standing up, he left his plate on the table and headed for the door, picking up his jacket as he went.
 
The corridor was empty once he got outside so he shrugged and went to his own room, leaving Kunzite's door wide open. `One good turn deserves another,' he thought grimly.
 
Entering, he spotted his study bag half under his own lounge and he retrieved it, deciding that an afternoon at the library was in order.
 
Shaking his head at the thought of his brooding, grim faced neighbour, Zephyr ignored Kunzite's open door as he sailed past and headed outside towards the library.