Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ What Do You Remember That I Forgot ❯ Sailor Mercury Explodes Onto The Scene ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Hey all! Hope you enjoy this chapter. Lot's of action!!!
 
P.S. Don't forget to review so I know how I'm going. I eat your comments for breakfast so feed me please. ^_^
 
Chapter Two
 
Sailor Mercury Explodes Onto The Scene
 
Kunzite paused to take a breather. His sides were burning and sweat soaked him from head to toe but overall, he concluded that he felt much better. There was nothing like a little exercise to clear the head. Not that he disliked Zephyr or anything but he definitely needed time to think and sought out his thoughts about him and Minako.
 
Bending down, Kunzite retied his shoe and glanced absently around the park he'd taken refuge in. It was pretty cool today in contrast to yesterday's fierce heat but the sun was still warm and Kunzite wouldn't have minded taking a quick dip in the lake nearby if he were allowed.
 
Several families were out enjoying a pleasant picnic while the weather remained so nice but other then that, there were no other people really which meant Kunzite had the pathways all to himself. In contrast though, no one was likely to be out running at this time of day anyway.
 
Shrugging, Kunzite steeled himself and took off once more, this time in the direction of the university college.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Kunzite slowed to a walk as he finally entered the parking lot outside the front entrance.
 
He frowned as he noticed an old green ute pulled up in the parking lot. Several items were been placed on the tray including a very familiar television set.
 
Seething, Kunzite quickly and silently approached the two youths who were ransacking his dormitory room in the middle of the day of all things.
 
As one youth, wearing a blue cap and pants so low they almost hung around his ankles, placed Kunzite's toaster on the ute tray, Kunzite clapped a hand firmly on his shoulder.
 
The youth was most surprised as he was whirled around to face a tall, white haired man with tanned skin, broad and powerful shoulders and eyes so pale and cold that chills ran up his spine.
 
`I suggest you put all that back where you found it,' said Kunzite softly, his voice setting danger signals off in the other's mind.
 
For a moment, he considered disobeying the white haired man but something about him suggested that that wouldn't be such a good idea.
 
He was just beginning to glance around for his mate to warn him off when an old hockey stick was suddenly swung into the tall man's side. The youth was thrown back against the ute as Kunzite staggered under the surprise attack.
 
Agony lanced up his side but Kunzite ignored it, knowing that it would only be worse if he let his attacker hit him again.
 
He turned to greet the sight of his own stick, procured for times such as this only to be wielded by him of course and not this other youth, as it came round on a collision course with his face.
 
From somewhere within him, Kunzite suddenly knew what to do as he ducked and caught the stick as it sailed past. Using the other's momentum, Kunzite used the stick as leverage to send his attacker flying over his head. He smashed into the side of the ute solidly before falling back to the ground on top of his partner.
 
Straightening, Kunzite glared threateningly at the pair of them. The two only needed one look to tell them. Picking themselves up, they hurriedly began to unload the ute. The youth who had attacked Kunzite moved much slower than his partner due to his painful landing but he didn't dare stop as he carted load after load back into the dorm room where they'd first stolen it from.
 
Once finished, Kunzite stopped the pair of them and methodically searched their pockets. He found his car keys on one and his wallet and phone on another. He cuffed the pair of them and with a growl, pushed them none to gently back into their ute.
 
`Don't ever come back here again,' warned Kunzite. The pair didn't need telling twice. They'd seen the almighty hit Kunzite had taken and yet seemed unaffected by and they weren't willing to try him again.
 
Kunzite watched them go, scowling furiously after them.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Zephyr growled softly in frustration. So far, he'd probably only studied for five percent of the entire time that he'd been in the library this afternoon. It's not that he didn't want to study but he always found it rather difficult and distracting when she was there.
 
The rest of the study group were not bothered by the petite, blue haired genius in their midst but he most definitely was. There was just something about her that made him feel guilty he thought as he observed her through his wire rimmed spectacles.
 
All of them were studying to become doctors, except Zephyr who was studying to be a vet but had simply joined the group for a little extra help since there were so few studying to be vets like he was.
 
Mizuno Ami had only joined them recently and Zephyr had definitely felt some hesitation on her part but wasn't really sure what had caused it though he highly suspected it was because of him. They were connected in some way, that much he was certain of but he couldn't say anything else on the matter.
 
`Does anyone have a copy of William's work?' questioned George, one of the more studious of their group.
 
Zephyr blinked as he snapped out of his reverie. He quickly focused his attention as he noticed the rest of the group shaking their heads. Sighing but sensing an opportunity for a little escape, Zephyr stood. `I'll get it, I had a copy out last week,' he said waving his hand in the general direction of the book.
 
`Thanks Zephyr,' beamed George. `No problem,' answered Zephyr.
 
Zephyr made his way back towards the back of the library, weaving through shelves as he went.
 
He browsed for a little bit, taking his time as he went. Finally Zephyr came to the right section and he methodically began to look through the titles, searching for the book.
 
He had only just laid eyes on it when he suddenly felt the back of his neck prickle, his sixth sense setting off warning bells in his mind.
 
He turned slowly and stared up into the face of his neighbour.
 
Kunzite didn't look at all pleased.
 
Zephyr could read nothing behind the cold stony mask and he instantly realised that something bad must have happened. With a sinking feeling, he knew what it was. Ninety nine percent of the time, a door left open was fine. Obviously Kunzite's door had fallen into the one percent.
 
`So,' began Kunzite. `You left my door open.'
 
`I know,' replied Zephyr. There was no use denying it.
 
`Will you be doing it again?' questioned Kunzite.
 
`No,' answered Zephyr, trying to maintain as much of his dignity as he could.
 
`Good,' said Kunzite. Then he leaned right in close and Zephyr was uncomfortably reminded of his short statue. `You're lucky you weren't the two thieves that I caught then,' said Kunzite dangerously.
 
Zephyr glared back and was about to reply when an explosion suddenly ripped through the library.
 
Zephyr was thrown back against the bookcase, Kunzite crashing into him and shielding him from the majority of the blast. Books were flung off the shelves, many crashing down on top of them.
 
As the noise of the blast died away, screams began to pierce the air.
 
The fog cleared in Zephyr's dazed mind a little and he realised that Kunzite was unconscious. A book flying at high speed had struck him across the back of the head. Blood was slowly trickly through the resulting gash down through the silken white tangle of Kunzite's hair.
 
Struggling out from underneath the bigger man, Zephyr was able to see the full damage. Shelves were knocked over and books strewn everywhere. The air was thick with dust and Zephyr paled as he spotted the bodies of hurt people littered around the room. Kunzite's back was a mess. His shirt had been ripped to shreds and small cuts and huge bruises covered the tanned surface.
 
Without the bigger man, Zephyr suddenly felt extremely vulnerable but something hardened within him as he surveyed the scene.
 
Gradually, Zephyr's damaged ears began to hear sounds again and he narrowed his eyes as he registered the distinctive sound of laughter. Glancing around for the source of the noise, he suddenly spotted it, silhouetted against the library entrance.
 
`Hmm, not a bad day's work,' laughed the figure cruelly. The voice was distinctly feminine and sent chills down Zephyr's spine. `I should do this more often if it's going to be this easy.
 
`Hold it right there,' ordered a voice suddenly.
 
Zephyr whipped sideways, searching for the source of the voice. Through the dust, he saw another standing figure. This one was much closer and Zephyr was able to make out a blue haired woman dressed in a blue bodied sailor suit.
 
Zephyr stared; there was something very familiar about the young woman as she glared angrily at the silhouette. Though small, the woman was definitely dangerous and Zephyr stifled a gasp as he watched her suddenly form a harp made of water in her hands.
 
Aiming it at the enemy she announced, `I am Sailor Mercury. Don't you dare think of me as easy because I most certainly am not. Attacking helpless people is one thing but attacking a Sailor Senshi definitely isn't. In the name of Mercury, prepare to be punished for you actions!'
 
Her answer was another laugh. `What makes you think I'm easy?' retorted the voice.
 
Zephyr barely even heard her though because his eyes were still fixed on Sailor Mercury. Something about her was setting off alarms in his mind and they were getting louder by the second. He moaned and clapped his hands over his ears in an effort to shut out the blinding headache that was suddenly attacking him but it was of little use.
 
As the pain continued to grow, Zephyr sunk slowly to his knees and finally to the ground, curling up in a small ball of agony.
 
Without warning, the figure in the doorway, leapt into the air and launched a ball of fire at Sailor Mercury.
 
The light of her attack illuminated her and Zephyr was able to make out a pretty red haired woman, her face twisted in wicked glee. She wore red and gold battle armour and had a sword at her waist. On her head was a golden helmet studded with rubies and golden topaz.
 
Her attack bore down on Sailor Mercury but the Sailor Senshi was ready as she fired her own attack in reply. A huge jet of water erupted away from her and met the enemy's attack head on.
 
Steam bellowed outwards making it impossible to see. The woman's laughter echoed around the destroyed library as a fiery attack suddenly came whizzing through the mist at Sailor Mercury.
 
The blue haired Senshi dodged but already other attacks were whizzing at her from all directions. She cried out in pain as one caught her across the back sending her sprawling. She was back on her feet instantly and gritting her teeth against the pain.
 
It was of little use though. Her own attack had caused the steamy fog and now it was preventing her from seeing her enemy. Attack after attack appeared and burned her. Zephyr wanted to help but was helpless under the onslaught of the pain Sailor Mercury's appearance had caused within him.
 
Soon the beautiful ice Senshi was staggering in agony and Zephyr sensed that one more hit would finish her off for good. He saw it coming and shouted a warning but he was too late.
 
Yet though he was too late, someone else wasn't.
 
Kunzite suddenly leapt into the path of the attack and raised a metal desktop between them. Sailor Mercury stared aghast at her rescuer. She had not expected this of all things.
 
It only lasted a second though as the woman appeared behind them and yanked Kunzite with surprising strength to his feet.
 
`Interfering are we?' she asked, her eyes glinting dangerously.
 
Kunzite didn't respond and instead punched the woman with a strength that surprised her this time. She sailed backwards and crashed into the wreckage but was quickly on her feet, her fury evident.
 
Kunzite remained crouched and waiting for her. She could easily have fried him but he knew she wouldn't do that for the moment. He'd hit back and now she was angry enough to want to fight it out instead.
 
She came at him in a furious lash of kicks and punches. Kunzite blocked them and managed a few hits of his own but the earlier hit from the thieves to his side was causing him terrible pain; he definitely suspected a broken rib or two. Coupled with the strange headache which had sprung up when he'd seen Sailor Mercury once awakening, it was no wonder that Kunzite was quickly beginning to lose.
 
He continued to fight however, with a skill he had not known he possessed. He'd never been in any kind of fight before and yet today, he'd already been in two and fought as if he was born to it.
 
Eventually though, the enemy landed a hard kick against Kunzite's broken ribs and sent him sprawling in pain as his vision turned white.
 
Laughing, she raised her hand to deliver the killing blow but was suddenly knocked sideways by a tall brunette Senshi dressed in a green body suit.
 
`Pick on someone your own size,' growled the Sailor Senshi. `He was taller then me and so are you,' she answered with a smirk. `No matter though is it because you'll still fight me.'
 
Suddenly sensing that now was a good time to leave; Zephyr fought off the pain and crawled to where Kunzite had fallen.
 
The white haired man looked even worse then before with his hands now burned from where he'd held up the table and server bruising forming across his exposed skin. Zephyr quickly realised it was his side that was bothering him the most though.
 
`Come on Kunzite,' said Zephyr trying to pull the older man up. Biting his lip, Kunzite managed to stand, heavily supported by Zephyr.
 
Sailor Mercury had long since disappeared with the green sailor to fight the woman who was playing a game of cat and mouse with the two Senshi. Now that she was gone, Zephyr's headache had greatly improved but it still lingered as the two men stumbled through the debris for the exit.
 
Behind them, the two sailors had finally cornered the woman. She laughed at them once more, saluted and vanished.
 
The brunette managed to catch Sailor Mercury just in time as the sailor finally gave out, her strength spent. `We better get you too Mamoru,' she said worriedly as she scooped her comrade into her arms. She glanced back one more time in the direction that she'd seen the small, copper haired man and his tall friend in but they were gone.
 
Shrugging and not wasting another moment, the brunette took off, Sailor Mercury clutched protectively in her arms.
 
Neither Zephyr nor Kunzite saw the glance and when Zephyr looked back one more time, both the Senshi had disappeared.
 
Safely outside, Kunzite staggered and collapsed against Zephyr, no longer able to go any further.
 
Zephyr carefully laid down his neighbour and found a strange, new respect forming within him for this grim faced man. Kunzite may not have created a very good first impression but for the first time since meeting, Zephyr finally began to recognise the connection between them and suddenly knew that he'd go to the end of the earth and back again to protect this man whether he liked him and his icy personality or not.
 
`We better get you to a hospital,' murmured Zephyr pulling out his mobile which, surprisingly, had survived the blast without a single scratch or dent. Too bad he couldn't say the same about himself and Kunzite.
 
Author's Note: Dude! Seven pages and wowee! What a chappie! Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. I've never been bitten by such a big plot bunny before. ^_-
 
See you all next chappie and don't forget to review!!!
 
Ralinde*