Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ What Do You Remember That I Forgot ❯ Tokyo Hospital ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Well hello all! Hope we're all enjoying ourselves. Anyway, it's been a while but here's my next chapter. Hope you all love it and some of your questions will finally be answered. Of course, there's many more that are still unanswered though so you needn't fear in that department.
 
Anyway, if you're wondering where I've been then I can tell you that I've been off drawing art so go and check it out if you want at http://www.fanart-central.net/user-Ralinde.php. This is a direct link to my gallery so have fun!
 
And now, on with the show…!
 
Chapter Three
 
Tokyo Hospital
 
Kunzite groaned as he slowly came too. His body hurt in places he didn't even know it could. His back felt like one, gigantically bruised piece of fruit and his side was a mixture of sharp, spiking pain and an awful deep ache. Even his head didn't feel good decided Kunzite as he raised his hand to feel the swath of bandages that circled the crown of his head.
 
Glancing about and still blinking a little sleepily as he shook off the last effects of unconsciousness, Kunzite quickly realised that he was in a hospital. His shorts and shoes were placed neatly on a nearby chair but of his shirt, there was no sign. Kunzite scowled, `that was my favourite shirt,' he grumbled.
 
Though the plain light blue shirt had never looked like much, it was still his oldest and most comfortable shirt. In the end though, it was just a shirt.
 
The room was painfully drab decided Kunzite and he was definitely getting bored already.
 
Glancing in the other direction, he was startled to realise he was not alone.
 
Another patient lay in a second bed beside him. He was a man his own age, tall from what Kunzite could see and with sharp features that Kunzite guessed many women would find attractive. He was the kind of man that looked like he had money and was used to having plenty of it.
 
At the moment though, the man simply lay as if he were asleep. His skin was terribly grey and the broad, powerful looking frame was sunken and wasted. His mahogany hair sprawled across the pillow in all directions and a chart beside his bed read the name of Nephrite. That was all there was; no second name or any other indication of who this man may be.
 
Once again, Kunzite recognised the feeling of familiarity that suddenly blossomed. He had no idea who this man was but Kunzite was sure that he knew him somehow although how, he had no idea.
 
Frustration surged through him. What was going on? Why were there all these people around that he suddenly felt he should know? Who were they even? Why should he care so much?
 
Kunzite groaned as a sharp headache suddenly began to form. Tearing his gaze away from the other patient, Kunzite gazed at the ceiling instead, struggling to regain his composure.
 
Several minutes passed before Kunzite finally felt in control enough to risk another peep at the man beside him.
 
He hadn't moved though, just simply lay there and slept.
 
Kunzite's musings were interrupted by the distinctive noise of footsteps in the hallway outside his room.
 
A tall, raven haired man swept into the room, still reading a file in his hands and with a stethoscope slung around his neck.
 
`Mamoru,' said Kunzite softly.
 
The name had come unbidden to his lips but Kunzite instinctively knew that this was this man's name.
 
The black head shot up, startled as he stared at Kunzite. There was silence as the two looked at one another.
 
Finally Kunzite turned his face away, a frown clouding his features.
 
`I'm sorry, I don't know you,' he murmured uncomfortably.
 
`My name is Mamoru,' came the voice of the man behind him. It was a soft voice, gentle and warm. It reminded Kunzite of warm summer days of laughter and strangely, also of a burning hatred for that voice.
 
He blinked several times and managed to clear the unusual thoughts from his mind.
 
`I didn't mean to be rude,' said Kunzite softly.
 
`That's okay,' answered Mamoru. `I was actually coming to check on Nephrite but I may as well check you too while I'm here.'
 
So saying, Mamoru came over to Kunzite's bed and proceeded to perform some simple medical checks. His hands were soft and gentle unlike other doctors who seemed to poke and prod. Kunzite distinctively remembered poking his last doctor so hard he fell off his chair before he'd strolled out the door. He'd regretted it afterwards but at the time it'd felt extremely satisfying.
 
`So,' began Kunzite. `Doesn't Nephrite have a surname?'
 
`No,' answered Mamoru curtly. `And neither do you Kunzite,' he added.
 
Kunzite was a little surprised at the sudden venom that had come into Mamoru's voice but instead of getting angry, he felt ashamed; like he had been prying and he had no right to. Not getting angry though, did make Kunzite angry and he regarded Mamoru through narrowed eyes now.
 
If Mamoru noticed, he said nothing and finished his medical check. He set the clipboard down at the end of the bed and turned swiftly away to attend to Nephrite.
 
Kunzite wanted to repeat the question and he also wondered how long Nephrite had been laying there but he didn't say anything, keeping his gaze directed sharply at Mamoru's back. The raven haired man had made it clear that he didn't like Kunzite and Kunzite wasn't about to make himself even less liked. It was strange how his hands had been so gentle though thought Kunzite absently.
 
Mamoru was only another minute before he finished and turned back to Kunzite.
 
`You've got some pretty bad bruising Kunzite. It'd be a good idea to stay here overnight to make sure you don't have any serious internal bleeding and also to make sure that you're unconscious state earlier hasn't resulted in anything either. In fact, that's an order.'
 
Giving Kunzite one last sharp glance, Mamoru left the room.
 
Kunzite scowled at his retreating back and turned his line of sight back to the ceiling. He definitely didn't like the raven haired doctor.
 
Only a minute had gone by when footsteps again sounded outside Kunzite's room. These were a lot softer and much more harried.
 
Kunzite recognised the step and was proven right when a flustered Zephyr slipped into the room. He was still dirty and grimy from the attack in the library but he'd at least changed his clothes. Deep shadows surrounded his eyes and he clutched a bundle of cloth in his hands.
 
`Good, you're awake,' said Zephyr noticing Kunzite and hurrying over to the bed. `No thanks to you,' grumbled Kunzite.
 
Zephyr flinched at the hint to yesterday's `door left open' session but didn't say anything.
 
`Here,' he said thrusting the cloth at Kunzite which turned out to be a shirt and a pair of socks and sneakers from his flat back at the university.
 
`Put them on,' commanded Zephyr. `That nurse down at the front desk is still looking for me.'
 
`Why?'
 
`Because I was pretty rude to her last night and-,'
 
`No, why put these on,' asked Kunzite holding up the clothing.
 
Zephyr looked absolutely flabbergasted as he stared at Kunzite. `But I thought you of all people would want to get out of here,' he answered.
 
Kunzite scowled. `I didn't know you knew me so well.'
 
`Well I just do okay,' retorted Zephyr.
 
Kunzite proceeded to yank drips and other instruments out of his body. He also wrenched the bandage off from around his head as Zephyr turned away, feeling slightly green. Kunzite smirked as he caught the movement but refrained from saying anything.
 
Pulling the gown up over his head, Kunzite slipped his own pair of shorts back on and began to pull the shirt Zephyr had brought him over his head.
 
`Who's that guy?' questioned Zephyr.
 
`Nephrite.'
 
`That's it, no last name?'
 
`Nope.'
 
`Does he look familiar to you?'
 
Kunzite glanced sharply at Zephyr then. He hesitated before answering, `yes.'
 
`Right,' murmured Zephyr and then he remained silent as Kunzite finished trying his shoe laces.
 
Standing up, Kunzite eyed Zephyr until the young man finally noticed that Kunzite was waiting for him.
 
`I'm sorry,' flushed Zephyr. `I was just thinking we'll have to come back and see this man again probably.'
 
`Yes,' agreed Kunzite.
 
`Alright, let's go,' announced Zephyr moving towards the door. Kunzite went to follow but hesitated; something had caught his eye.
 
`What is it?' asked Zephyr returning to Kunzite's side.
 
Kunzite remained silent however, his brow creased in a frown as he read the clipboard at the end of his bed.
 
There was no name on it.
 
`How did he know my name?' murmured Kunzite to himself. He was sure he'd never told him and Mamoru had never asked.
 
`Excuse me,' came a voice beside him. Clearing his thoughts, Kunzite focused his attention on Zephyr who was regarding him in confusion.
 
`What do you mean “how did he know my name?” for the third time.'
 
`The doctor that was in here,' explained Kunzite. `I never told him my name and it's not on this chart but he knew it anyway although I've never met him.'
 
`You mean the black haired doctor who left your room before I got here?' queried Zephyr.
 
`Yes.'
 
`His name was Mamoru wasn't it,' said Zephyr.
 
`Yes,' answered Kunzite again as he looked strangely at Zephyr. `How did you-?'
 
`I just knew,' replied Zephyr shrugging his shoulders.
 
The two men were quiet after that, each lost in their own thoughts.
 
`Come on,' said Zephyr finally. `We better get moving before the bulldog from the front desk shows up.'
 
`Well this bulldog's here now so you can just get back in bed and you can get out of my hospital,' ordered a voice from the doorway.
 
From the look on Zephyr's face, Kunzite knew this large, tight lipped woman standing in the doorway had to be the nurse from the front desk.
 
`I don't recall you being my owner so I'll be checking out if you don't mind,' said Kunzite coldly.
 
The nurse wasn't cowed by the threatening gaze of the tall and powerful man. She was already aware that this man was badly injured and if she had to, she was sure she could get him back into bed and if not, she'd brought some help in the form of two burly nurses used for just such situations.
 
It'd been a long night overall and at the end of her shift; she did not want to be dealing with these two. As it was, a couple of reporters had already tried to come and get an interview with the white haired man and she's had to beat them off several times and stop them from sneaking in too. When your hair was such a distinctive colour and you'd been in the explosion at the university library where the Sailor Senshi had shown up, you were generally pretty easy to track down.
 
In the end, she was sick and tired of all the problems she's had over the last twelve hours. If these two thought they were going to get away with anything then they had another thing coming.
 
`Back to bed. You, out,' she repeated again at the two men. When neither moved, she beckoned the two nurses in and to this day, she never forgot what happened next.
 
The small man simply vanished and after a startled glance at where his companion had been, the tall, white haired man turned and leapt out the open window.
 
She rushed to the window followed by the two nurses and was shocked to see the white haired man running across the car park below to the east wing of the hospital, completely unharmed after a forth story fall.
 
And then, the hospital's front nurse and most forbidding of all hospital staff keeled over where she stood, the two burly nurses barely catching her in time.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
To say Kunzite had been shocked when Zephyr had vanished was an understatement. He'd been downright astounded but he didn't have time to worry about it and what he'd done next, had been pure instinct, something that'd felt like he'd done it before but he had no recollection of ever doing it.
 
Kunzite had jumped out the window. Of all the crazy and stupid things he'd done in his life, which had been few, Kunzite had done the most insane thing of them all.
 
The ground did not rush up to meet him; it did not even fill his vision at an incredible rate.
 
Instead, it came closer at a steady pace and when Kunzite landed, it was so smooth that he didn't even bend his knees to absorb the impact. It seemed to him that he'd floated down, somehow slowing his fall but he didn't waste time thinking about it when he landed and instead, took off running.
 
He had no idea where Zephyr was but he figured the small youth could escape well enough on his own.
 
Kunzite crossed the car park quickly and once on the other side, he slipped through a side door and found himself in a busy corridor. Forcing himself to walk normally and clasping his bandaged hands behind his back, Kunzite proceeded up the hallway looking as if he had somewhere important to be, heading in what he hoped, was the right direction out of the hospital.
 
Several minutes elapsed but when no one yelled at him or tried to stop him, Kunzite began to relax a little.
 
Suddenly, there was a commotion up ahead and the door to the ladies bathroom burst open.
 
Zephyr sprang out with lightning speed, his hair a mess and his eyes frantic. Several nurses leapt out after him screaming angrily and calling him a `hentai!' in very loud voices.
 
Kunzite stared as the other man made a beeline for him. Grabbing Kunzite's hand, he yanked him around and pulled Kunzite after himself.
 
Soon the two men found themselves running furiously from the many nurses bent on catching them and seeking retribution.
 
`You just had to appear in there didn't you?' ground out Kunzite.
 
`It wasn't my fault,' panted Zephyr. `I didn't have any idea that I could do that and I just panicked okay!'
 
`Well I didn't know I could jump out of four story buildings and survive without a scratch either!' Kunzite yelled back.
 
Zephyr stared at Kunzite aghast and abruptly tripped over a caution sign standing in the middle of the hallway. Kunzite yanked the smaller man back to his feet and the two continued running.
 
`Can't you do it again and get us out of here?' asked Kunzite as a nurse made a wild lunge at Zephyr and missed as he danced around her.
 
`You're kidding! I had no idea how I did it the first time,' he retorted.
 
`Well I hope you bloody know where the exit is then!' yelled Kunzite as he beat off two nurses and rounded a corner sharply.
 
By now, speakers and alarms were going off in all directions. A few more twists and turns and the exit suddenly loomed before them and a very familiar raven haired doctor.
 
Mamoru looked at them in surprise as they came charging towards him but instead of stopping them, he stood aside and allowed them to pass. At first Kunzite thought he was been a coward and not trying to stop them despite Zephyr's small stature and his own injuries but he suddenly noticed the look on Mamoru's face as he ran past.
 
The man was regarding them coolly, his gaze telling them that he'd let them go this one time but next time they wouldn't be so lucky.
 
If Zephyr noticed, he didn't say anything as they plunged out into the afternoon sun. Zephyr leapt into a taxi that had just pulled up, Kunzite following him and neither caring about the little old lady they'd nearly taken out.
 
`Where to gents?' asked the taxi driver.
 
Zephyr hurriedly gave the address for the university campus and then they were off, Kunzite able to see no sign of Mamoru behind him.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Mizuro Ami was tired. She'd taken more of a beating then she'd like to admit last night and Mamoru had only healed the worst of her burns claiming the rest would clear up in a few days.
 
She was walking along a corridor looking for Mamoru so she could thank him when she finally spotted him ahead.
 
He was reading something and though speakers and alarms were going off about something, he didn't seem to be listening.
 
Ami watched, intrigued as he looked up and suddenly stepped hastily into the entrance of the corridor.
 
She was amazed to see a small copper haired man suddenly race past, pulling a larger white hair man behind him.
 
Hurrying forwards, she soon drew level with Mamoru.
 
`Mamoru are you okay?' she asked concerned.
 
Mamoru turned to her, not at all surprised to see Ami standing there. `Yes I'm okay,' he answered.
 
`That was Kunzite and Zoisite wasn't it?' she asked. Mamoru sighed and ran a hand through his hair.
 
`Yes.'
 
`Why did you let them go?' she asked.
 
`Because they don't belong here and although I haven't forgiven them for their actions in their past lives, I can't condemn them for who they are in this life because they don't remember what they did.'
 
`But they do remember something though, don't they?' pressed Ami.
 
The prince may have had to deal with the knowledge of his shitennous' rebirth but the others also had to deal with the fact that they'd once loved these men, long ago in another lifetime.
 
Zoisite has always seemed to be at least familiar with her even if he couldn't explain it when she'd first joined his study group. She largely suspected that that was why he was known as Zephyr because he connected her and his name with some sort of guilt although he obviously didn't know what it was or why.
 
She wasn't blind either; she'd seen that he could barely concentrate when she was around and from what she remembered of him, Zoisite was never lazy when it came to leaning.
 
Of course, she'd only joined the group to keep an eye on him. It had been Minako who had first learned of the shitennous' rebirth when she'd begun classes with Kunzite a year ago. She'd been struck speechless for the first time in her life but had decided to continue the classes to keep an eye on Kunzite anyway.
 
Nephrite had been discovered by Mamoru a few months later when he'd taken a job at the hospital they now stood in. As far as he had been able to learn, Nephrite had been found in his home, collapsed on the floor.
 
He'd been in a coma ever since.
 
Of Jadeite, there had never been any sign and Amy had only stumbled upon Zoisite a month ago.
 
`Whatever they remember,' began Mamoru breaking off Ami's line of thought, `I don't think it's anything; more a vague sense that they used to know certain people such as us or each other. I'm surprised that Kunzite and Zoisite are finally talking to one another considering how long they've lived side by side as neighbours. Anyway, so long as it stays that way then I'm happy.'
 
`But what if they do remember?' questioned Ami worriedly.
 
`Then we deal with it,' answered Mamoru bluntly, `and that's all there is too it,' he added more gently as he looked at Ami.
 
Ami allowed herself a small smile at Mamoru and prayed that he was right. She did not need Zoisite on her doorstep any time soon trying to explain himself.
 
Author's Note: Hope you enjoyed and don't forget to review! How can I write without inspiration or feedback?
 
Cheers